Clinton Cancels Overseas Trip

President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton leave the Oval Office after a meeting on June 22, 2009. (Pete Souza/The White House)

By Glenn Kessler
Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton has canceled plans to travel to Italy and Greece this week because she is still recovering from surgery on her broken elbow.

Clinton fell at the State Department last Wednesday and had surgery on Friday.

She had planned to travel to Trieste, Italy, for meetings with her Group of Eight counterparts on Iran, the Middle East peace process and the war in Afghanistan. She also planned to attend a gathering of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe on Corfu, where talks were expected to center on the Russia-Georgia dispute.

The cancellation was announced by Deputy Secretary of States James B. Steinberg. He said that he would represent the United States at the Greek forum while Undersecretary of State William Burns will attend the meetings in Italy.

By Web Politics Editor  |  June 22, 2009; 2:03 PM ET
Categories:  B_Blog , Foggy Bottom
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama Announces Agreement With Drug Companies
Next: Obama Signs Bill Regulating Tobacco

Comments

Hillary is not the best. She indeed is smart but always plays a game (will the real Hillary please stand up). My guess is that this broken arm thing will help Obama to send her home.

Posted by: ridagana | June 27, 2009 6:20 AM | Report abuse

Elbow fractures can be very complicated and require pins and screws. It is not an easy surgery to recover from and it is probably very painful. Get well Hillary and take care of yourself.

Posted by: dostephen | June 23, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

If she's so damn hot for the kind of health care they have in Canada, England and elsewhere why didn't she keep to her schedule and have her broken elbow patched up overseas? With an expected wait of several months she would have had plenty of time to fulfill the duties of Sec. of State while gathering data on the superior system she and Obama are so sure will work here.

Posted by: ddnfla | June 23, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

LarryG62 by your comments you clearly prove you are the only lightweight here.

Posted by: peterdc | June 23, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I second Marilyn's comment. HRC is the best, the most competent, the most substantive, the most prepared, the most experienced-she just has it THE MOST.

Always a trooper, never a complainer-she is a shining star among moons.

Get well soon, HRC-too bad you can't go to Triesete- I love this city-reminds me of Northern California.

Posted by: arrabbiato | June 23, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I had read only the first part of the comments by watchdog10 and was really delighted to find that my thoughts exactly were represented by the rest of the statement!
I have always thought that Hillary Clinton was the best person for any of the jobs available, the Presidency included !! No other person can reach into the air and come up with the facts and the figures and understanding of a problem as quickly. Hooray for Hillary Clinton!!

Posted by: marilyntrueblood | June 23, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

LarryG62 calls Hillary Clinton an "intellectual lightweight?" LOL. You might not agree with Clinton's politics, but I don't think there are too many people who doubt her formidable intelligence. Did you watch any of the debates? She trounced everyone else--including Obama. Every time. She has been voted one of the best 100 attorneys in the US twice. Even Republicans are impressed by her depth and breadth of knowledge. I'd love to see you debate her Larry. Somehow, I don't think she'd be too worried. Speedy recovery Madame Secretary!

Posted by: franf1 | June 23, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

How can anyone call Hillary Clinton an intellectual lightweight? She's doing an excellent job as secretary of state. Frankly, I would feel more comfortable if she were President of the United States!!!

Posted by: Watchdog10 | June 23, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Best wishes, Madame Secretary! Focus on your FULL recovery.

Posted by: dotellen | June 23, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Good, now she can't go overseas and pull some nitwit stunt to embarrass our country like she has in the past.
What an intellectual lightweight.
This administration and its incompetents are a real embarrassment.

Posted by: LarryG62 | June 23, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Hillary Clinton is doing well in her role of Secretary of State. She should allow herself a few days to mend and I'm sure she'll stay involved. It's no secret to anyone that VP Joe Biden has been a significant presence as one of President Obama's top foreign policy advisors, as he should with his powerful background, and he's already traveled extensively for the administration (Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Munich, Costa Rica, Chile, Brussels, the Balkans-Kosovo, Serbia, Beruit Lebanon, and heading to Georgia and Ukraine again this month). He's also met with numerous leaders (French PM Fillon, Haitian PM Pierre-Louis, Japanese PM Abe, Jordan's King Abdullah II, Karzai, Talibani, and Zardari etc. etc, all the while leading the middle/working class task force and economic recovery act implementation, and green job summits. I guess what I'm saying is that we have a multi-talented VP who can step into most any role, as well as Mitchell and other members of HRC's crack team. I like what I see and feel comfortable that hard-working Clinton can take a day or two off. I have a feeling she'll still be working.

Posted by: NBSsacramento | June 23, 2009 4:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure Madame Sec. will be sorely missed. The envoys HRC recommended will do fine, but they're no Hillary! Nobody does the policy homework Hillary does, and nobody has the star power. She's an absolutely fabulous SOS! I do hope the hardest working woman in politics will be more careful in the future, we need her back on the case! Prayers and good health wishes being sent your way, Madame Secretary!

Posted by: karenmb | June 22, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

It's a shame their roles aren't reversed.

he's in over his head