In a Presidential First, Obama Marks Gay Pride at the White House

By Michael D. Shear
President Obama on Monday became the first Oval Office occupant to officially celebrate gay pride in the White House even as the gay community remains bitterly divided about the pace of Obama's efforts to turn words into action for their agenda.

In recognizing the march of progress since the protests outside New York's Stonewall Inn 40 years ago, Obama achieved a milestone for many gay and lesbian Americans who mark the day as the beginning of their modern rights movement.

But the excitement among the several hundred guests invited by the first couple to the East Wing Monday was tempered by frustration among many who believe that the president has moved too slowly to make good on his campaign promises.

Obama's refusal to take unilateral action to end the "don't-ask, don't tell" policy regarding gays in the military and his administration's support for a legal challenge to the Defense of Marriage Act even sparked a small protest outside a speech to gay activists by Vice
President Biden last week.

"There's been an awful lot of noise and criticism," said Steve Elmendorf, a top Democratic lobbyist who is openly gay. "For him to send a message to the entire country that this is an event worth celebrating is a big deal. But people expect beyond that to see some substance on a whole host of issues."

Obama confronted those expectations directly Monday, renewing his campaign promises to change the military's policy, repeal the marriage act and pass a federal hate crimes bill named for Matthew Shepard, the student murdered in Wyoming in 1998.

"I want you to know that I expect and hope to be judged not by word, but by the promises my administration keeps," Obama said to sustained applause from the crowd. "By the time this administration is over, I think you guys will have pretty good feelings about the Obama administration."

By Web Politics Editor  |  June 29, 2009; 5:47 PM ET
Categories:  B_Blog , Culture Wars
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gay Rights Groups Praise Pending End to HIV Travel Ban
Next: POTUS Events: A Nod to Nonprofits

Comments

Another empty gesture. "Promise us anything, but give us Arpege" or nothing at all, which is what Obama has give us so far. Nothing at all!

Posted by: tomsj | July 5, 2009 5:15 AM | Report abuse

ayodicebosteroyperonista, That's why your wife is unsatisfied.

Posted by: madest | July 2, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Guys don't be naive. Politicians know that, more or less,homosexuals are around 10% of the population, tha's a lot of votes! but still doesn't make them normal.The anus was designed to defecate and nothing else.

Posted by: ayodicebosteroyperonista | July 1, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: StewartIII | July 1, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

The Black population is not "normal" in the United States as it represents 12.8% of the US population. The white population is the "norm" at 80%.

Should the majority have the right to revert to slavery if they so choose?

"[Slavery] was established by decree of Almighty God...it is sanctioned in the Bible, in both Testaments, from Genesis to Revelation...it has existed in all ages, has been found among the people of the highest civilization, and in nations of the highest proficiency in the arts." ---Jefferson Davis, President, Confederate States of America. "Inaugural Address as Provisional President of the Confederacy," Montgomery, AL, 1861-FEB-18, Confederate States of America, Congressional Journal, 1:64-66.

My readings of history tell me the reason the Southern Baptists from the Southern Baptist Convention opted to form the group because the Northern group refused to accept a slave owner as a missionary.

Are Blacks human beings? Believe it or not, there was a time when the Supreme Court's answer to this question was no, not if they were slaves.

It was 1856. Dred Scott, a Black slave, had been taken north of the Mason-Dixon line into Illinois and Wisconsin where slavery was prohibited by the Missouri Compromise.

Scott sued for his freedom and lost. The Supreme Court ruled that the Compromise was unconstitutional. Congress, they said, had no authority to limit slavery in that way.

In the Court's mind, the choice to own slaves was an individual decision, a private matter for each citizen to struggle with apart from interference by the state. If a person, in an act of conscience, chose not to keep slaves, that was his own decision, but he could not force that choice on others. Every person had a private right to choose.

Dred Scott, as a slave, was declared chattel--human property. He was a possession of his owner, and the owner had a right to do whatever he wanted with his assets. Three of the justices held that even a Negro who had descended from slaves had no rights as an American citizen and thus no standing in the court.

Posted by: gregtexas | July 1, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Kenyalove,

Blacks in our Country respresent 12.8% of the population. By statistical definion they are "not normal." Are you suggesting the 80% white America, the norm, can "not accept" that which is "not the norm."

I recall reading many Southerns making this very argument. "[Slavery] was established by decree of Almighty God...it is sanctioned in the Bible, in both Testaments, from Genesis to Revelation...it has existed in all ages, has been found among the people of the highest civilization, and in nations of the highest proficiency in the arts." Jefferson Davis, President, Confederate States of America. "Inaugural Address as Provisional President of the Confederacy," Montgomery, AL, 1861-FEB-18, Confederate States of America, Congressional Journal, 1:64-66.

Posted by: gregtexas | July 1, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Tell you what carbonware, if you can get those Girls Gone Wild commercials out of my living room, I'll get the guys/gals in the parade to behave. Deal?

Posted by: pastol | June 30, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

carbonware

Have you ever attended a New Orleans' Mardi Gras? I haven't but I understand heterosexuals show their breasts and penises and are rewarded with beads.

Innacurate?

Posted by: gregtexas | June 30, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

In response to username's statement:

"This stuff is not as important as the fact that Obama is a huge liar and is ruining the country on purpose so he can hand money and control over to the world government."

I personally find few things less important than my ability to have and define my family. Money is a second priority.

Posted by: gregtexas | June 30, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

kenyalover2003 wrote, "Nature itself proves this not normal, immoral, and just plain wrong."
How many times do you people need to be told that homosexual activity is rampant in "nature"? It has been documented in over 450 different vertebrate species. (The Gay Animal Kingdom by Jonah Lehrer June 7, 2006 JUN/JUL 2006 issue of Seed Magazine, http://seedmagazine.com/content/article/the_gay_animal_kingdom). It is easy to find many many academic papers written on the subject, and the news is not new.

Posted by: pastol | June 30, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

So did he parade around naked like they do at all the other gay pride events? Was there sex reenactments on the floats? Did the ladies ride in topless on Harley's? Did they promote it as a family safe event and then do acts of sodomy in the streets to the cheers of the crowds? No then it was not really a gay pride celebration. As a freelance photographer I have attended several across the country. Each time disgusted and ashamed at the debauchery and and the encouragement to bring the kids so everyone can be indoctrinated into the lie whops I mean lifestyle.

Posted by: carbonware | June 30, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Trillions have gone to his corporate banker friends already.
Where are all you democrat hypocrites on that?

Posted by: username | June 30, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Did the president go hug all the male staff; and did the first lady hug all of the female staff? I bet George Soros and Joe Biden "bonded".

Posted by: yokohlman | June 30, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Let's take bets prhornbeak. A majority of heterosexuals are disagreeing with you now.

In 10 years you will need to change what you say out loud or you and your children will be ostracized like KKK Clan Members and Neo-Nazi's.

You mouth will not be so vocal in 10 years.

LOL. You just aren't good at logic and putting two and two together.

Peace and thanks for making my night fun!
I appreciate it when someone can get me to roll with laughter.

Posted by: gregtexas | June 29, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

GREGTEXAS,

FINAL COMMENT:
My comments had nothing to do with bigotry or statistics or which is worse rape or molestation. I simply pointed out "gay" is not a class of citizens who practice unnatural perversions....those are queer by definition. You defend acts against little boys by equating it to rape or womens abuse of men??? Isn't it all abuse and unnatural to the overwhelming population of straight people? It is a perversion any time the acts occur...it will never be acceptable.

I have added you to the list of those deviants middle Americans pity.

Posted by: prhornbeak | June 29, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Seriously....prhornbeak

You're pulling my leg, right. For real now, admit it, you are actually a gay comedian, yah?

Posted by: gregtexas | June 29, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

prhornbeak

Did you graduate High School?

LOL

"You gotta be old to watch The New York Times Best Movies list?"

prnhornbeak responds "duh...duh...duh..."

Man you are one star of a logician!!!

Hehehehehe....

You have been the best part of my day. I sincerely thank you for having me rolling on the floor with laughter.

Posted by: gregtexas | June 29, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Looks like gregtexas is an old f_g. Remembers deliverance.

God I feel sorry for you half human mutant savage boys....hope science comes up with a cure.

Posted by: prhornbeak | June 29, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

zjr78xva & prhornbeak

It is pretty obvious the reason you both are here tonight.

Your female playmates not doing it for ya? You both sure have vivid imaginations about what you think it is to be gay.

And you are hitting it off so nicely!!

Posted by: gregtexas | June 29, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

zjr78xva & prhornbeak

I'm placing a bet you both believe Mary & Joseph had an immaculate conception....

Am I right??

Posted by: gregtexas | June 29, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

prhornbeak...I know...I'm just making gregtexas thinks he has a someone on his side...you know how them queers from texas like to think they are steers. gregtexas probably has a paris hilton screen saver.

Posted by: JWx2 | June 29, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

jw2x, dude you are attacking the wrong one. The mice thing was written by gregtexas...at least go back and read.

Posted by: prhornbeak | June 29, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

prhornbeak

Do you also believe in immaculate conception?

Posted by: gregtexas | June 29, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

jwx2....hey I did not write
"You want to read the articles and see Kaguya?"

That came from the warped mind of gregtexas relating to some queer mice experiment.

Posted by: prhornbeak | June 29, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

prhornbeak you've been locked in your mom's dark basement too long with them mice...next you'll be telling us your brother is part chow and your dad is still wandering the neighborhood.

Posted by: JWx2 | June 29, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

You are funny prhornbeak. Hear those Banjo's play... Really? What's your degree in? Can I test your knowledge base for kicks!

Are are you afraid to ride this Bull!

Hhahahaha.....

Posted by: gregtexas | June 29, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

gregtexas. you have become petulant and boring and I am just educated enough to discern. I have only been vulgar to those who are offended by real Texans.....eehhh cowboy??

Why don't you call it a night and repair to the local "gay" lounge otherwise known by the more popular term "queer" bar.

Posted by: prhornbeak | June 29, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

prhornbeak wrote
You want to read the articles and see Kaguya?

haha!! I suggest you see a doctor..hopefully Dr Jack Kevorkian will come out of retirement and get the OK to treat you.

Posted by: JWx2 | June 29, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

zjr78xva & prhornbeak

Have you both watched the movie Deliverance? You both make me feel like I'm rafting in the backwoods.

Just listen to those "Dueling Banjo's" play...

Posted by: gregtexas | June 29, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

zjr78xva

I think you left out a "t". Immortal.

You two sure know how to have rational debate. I am just awed with your intellects an funds of knowledge!!!

Guys, do you both also believe the world is flat? LOL. I'm sorry you just seem slow to me.

Posted by: gregtexas | June 29, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

prhornbeak

Where did you go to college? You don't sound well-educated. You sound more like you let your vulgar mouth cover for your lack of substance. Am I on target?

Posted by: gregtexas | June 29, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Homosexuality is immoral.

Posted by: zjr78xva | June 29, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

By the way, gregtexas it would seem you are the expert on ASSumptions.

Posted by: prhornbeak | June 29, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Offspring? Amusing thought picture..wasn't that the subject of a movie. If not, then you "creative" souls should make one.

Smart enough to know when savage boys have their panties in a wad.

Posted by: prhornbeak | June 29, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and neither mouse was "queer" nor was the offspring?

Remember that phrase about ASSumptions my friend?

Posted by: gregtexas | June 29, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

prhornbeak

Actually the way we prefer you to stay. That way it will be easier for our offspring to displace yours.

Your funny. Just curious, how much education do you have and what is your IQ?
My guess is we both already have a good guess on both these questions. But I doubt you will honestly share either.

Posted by: gregtexas | June 29, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

gregtexas.

I could care less how many queer mice are born.

Posted by: prhornbeak | June 29, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

SocraticGadfly your comments are disgusting to any normal person.

I have added you to the list of those deviants middle Americans pity.

Posted by: prhornbeak | June 29, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

My mother is eighty-five and lives in rural Missouri. She applied some common sense to the issue of gay marriage and hit the nail on the head. ............

Posted by: glclark4750 | June 29, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

@kenyalover, You should be ashamed of yourself.

Posted by: Messagero | June 29, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

prhornbeak

Just to keep you up to date on what science is doing, are you aware of the work that began 5 years ago, to eventually enable same-sex couples to have children genetically descended from them both?

I mean the genes of two men forming a child or the genes of two women forming a child.

It is real progress for GLBT people wanting to share parenthood.

It was done in mice 5 years ago. The baby mouse of two mothers was named Kaguya. The baby mouse is poster quality perfect.

You want to read the articles and see Kaguya?

Posted by: gregtexas | June 29, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

I will not bother responding to ignorant bigots. I do want to say that we need to have patience. I was twenty, and living in New York when the Stonewall rebellion took place. It was as if a great wall were cracked, and we all could see a ray of light and hope. Forty years later, while we have seen progress we are still dealing with discrimination in many forms. President Obama is on our side. He knows how to pick his battles. Unilateral action will only produce backlash. Please give him a chance. I am extremely proud that he is my President.

Posted by: Messagero | June 29, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Hornbeak, you're disgusting. Child sexual abuse is often no more about sexual pleasure than is rape, first of all.

Second, I've seen gays on the verge of tears, knowing intellectually in their minds that child sexual abuse by an adult male didn't make them gay, yet still unable to emotionally embrace that.

By your argument, John Ensign, David Vitter and Mark Sanford must all have been molested as children by women, right?

Posted by: SocraticGadfly | June 29, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

prhornbeak

Stick with your Christian myth book, because you haven't a clue about child molestation statistics.

Again this isn't about rationality or people would do their homework before opening their mouths.

This is about cult leaders pulling strings of people lead like puppets to believe in a blood cult deity.

It is shameful. We are the United States people. Our intelligence and education is supposed to demonstrate we are at the top educationally...not paraded around by the equivalent of a Taliban priest.

Cmon prhornbeak.

Posted by: gregtexas | June 29, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Check with the young boys abused by homosexuals. Many have taken their own lives over the experience! Why is it is not politically correct to put those deviates on public display as perverted menaces to society.

The living victims will never use the word "gay" to describe the sick molesters. It is a short trip from unnatural sexual feelings, to abuse both public and private. Yet, we tolerate so called "pride" parades..."pride" in what? How does despicable human behavior become acceptable to the majority of people who live normal "straight" lives.

The nut case below that compared "gays" to alcohol cleansing of wounds to infer one is unnatural one way or the other is plain crap. Perhaps science will develop a vaccine to prevent queer behavior on a cellular level...until then it is a perversion. Nothing more, nothing less.

Rosie and Ellen are pitied by middle America for the deviant behavior they display. Middle Americans pay more attention to Peyton Manning or Tiger Woods as more proper role models for children.

The only reason Obama kowtows to gays is for the votes and the unnatural alliance with the leftist socialists who run his agenda.

Posted by: prhornbeak | June 29, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Can you believe their are rational people who think male-female sex is less dangerous than male-male sex?

They do! It is just amazing how myth works.

Posted by: gregtexas | June 29, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Hell, he had no choice but to welcome them.

That said, he and Grandpa Biden (the latter in the VP debate, no less), LIED when they said they had no bias against gays then, in the next breath, said they opposed gay marriage.

Posted by: SocraticGadfly | June 29, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

I am sorry. This discussion has nothing to do with reason or "perverted."

It about irrational people being pulled around by puppet strings of cult leaders telling them about mythical blood cult deities, the trinity, wanting to put them in hell....

How can people actually give any credence to a myth god that told, not asked a virgin, that she would have his child. And without even asking her fiance. And gays are the perverts.... Go figure.

Posted by: gregtexas | June 29, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

I am gay and I think the extreme gay activists are acting like fools.

------------

I understand your point, but really, dealing with a neocon is like dealing with an enemy, when you think about it -- the neocons did everything they could, in their 50 + 1 plan, to divide this nation.

It isn't just a culture war, it is our foundation - our abilty to exist together and progress leads to our greater abilty to innovate and defend which, in turn, defines our economy and quality of life.

And for a very short term poltiical gain, the neocons tried to destroy this.

And the extrmeism is creepy, but still, it's nice to see a leader work to unify rather than divide, for the most part trying to move this nation forward by recognizing the rights of others.

And it's nice to argue health care, say, rather than the projected self-hate of a Dick Cheney, et al...

Posted by: thegreatpotatospamof2003 | June 29, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

I am gay and I think the extreme gay activists are acting like fools.

I gave the legal maximum to the Obama campaign in the
primaries and in the General Election. I was proud to donate and I am proud he is my President.

Our President is facing many many huge problems that face ALL Americans and he must confront those problems first.

By 2017, when Barack and Michelle leave the White House we
will all look back and realize he was our friend and he kept all of
his promises.

Until then. "Take a Chill Pill"

Posted by: bobnsri | June 29, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

JakeLockley wrote, "Since when did behavior that by definition is sexually perverted become a civil right?"

Is there some dictionary we can all agree is authoritative in this matter, which characterizes same-sex relations as perverted?

If not, when you say "by definition" you mean "by my dictate".

Posted by: douglaslbarber | June 29, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

gregtexas... Thank you.
PS. Do you follow Pam's House Blend, or Good As You,
could connect.

Posted by: LOrion | June 29, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Just another Obama pandering event. What's next, "My gal bossy?"
Honoring perversion is just one of the dishonest leftist's faults. He's incompetent, and is destroying our economy and our national security.
What an embarrassing slug.

Posted by: LarryG62 | June 29, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

I have given many years of thought to the question, "What does 'nature' mean?" Perhaps someone can relieve me of my confusion.

But let us pretend that we know what it means. In that case, smallpox, plague, and polio are "natural". Penicillin is not. Polio vaccines are not. Modern standards of hygiene in operating rooms are not.

So supposing we could even specify what we mean by "natural" and "unnatural" or "artificial", why is "natural" "good", and "unnatural" "evil"?

The next time you contract a strep infection, will you turn down antibiotics?

Will you decline to use rubbing alcohol to sterilize a wound, because pure rubbing alcohol didn't exist on earth until human beings distilled it?

My point is that the "intuitive" argument against GLBT equality is fairly easily broken down using reason.

But then, perhaps reason is evil.

Posted by: douglaslbarber | June 29, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Since when did behavior that by definition is sexually perverted become a civil right? Do we really want to promote sexually perverted behavior as public policy? Obama does in the interest of political correctness, but then again he also wants to bankrupt the US under the same premise. Bankrupt us morally and fiscally, way to go. Just because he's convincingly confident doesn't mean he knows what he's doing.

Posted by: JakeLockley | June 29, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

It will be interesting to see Middle America's reactions to this, especially the older generations.
------------

Middle America loves Ellen, loves Rosie -- nuff said.

The steps are incremental, but they are steps forward none the less.

Posted by: thegreatpotatospamof2003 | June 29, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

I am going to trust the man. Public opinion is changing quickly. I'd ride the wave too. Use my political clout to keep the wave going.

The world will never be the same. GLBT American will have federal recognition of marriage.

Posted by: gregtexas | June 29, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

That President Obama held this very public get together is reason for relief. The close media following of modern day presidencies allows me to recognize his incremental bravery. Recorded history affords me to see the bravery of past leaders in well packaged records, easily digested over days. The bravery of Washington and Lincoln, as examples, is indisputable. There are many others, Presidents and Paupers, whose brave acts were offensive to contemporaries but are now justifiable sources of National pride.
President Obama must know this and as he tiptoes forward, hopefully he will take that giant step that one of his predecessors(LBJ) took on another issue(Civil Rights). His penalty will be far less.

Posted by: Draesop | June 29, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

kenyalover2003

Hell doesn't exist and GLBT relationships are normal.

And you will be accepting them soon whether you like it or not.

Go go to time-out and throw your tantrum for not sharing.

This is 3 year old mentality dude. Grow up.

Posted by: gregtexas | June 29, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Since 'the end' of his Administration may not be until 2017, sorry, we cannot wait that long.

He could stop implementation of DADT with the stroke of a pen, I wonder if Truman's is still around that was used to fully desegregate the Armed Forces by fiat in l948. ... with very little inconvenience to those in the forces, who had all just fought WWII together..and were then integrated for the Korean War to come. Just as our gays have fought in Iraq and Afganistan.

Of course, schools, buses, restrooms, hotels, and drinking fountains still had to be fought for.. with blood lost.

So forgive us as we continue notifiying all who will pay attention, think, and feel... in Amerca Equal Rights need to be for all or for none.

Straight Against H8.
My God loves all mankind, I am sorry yours does not.

Posted by: LOrion | June 29, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Hate to be boring, but this is a contract law issue, guaranteed by the constitution.

Strangely, much of the disorder in the real estate, finance and especially the credit card industry also stems from a lack of respect and enforcement of basic contracts and contract law principals.

Can we get back to basics?

Posted by: secretscribe | June 29, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

kenyalover2003 wrote, "Just another case of Obama making a mockery of the office in which he holds. Gays can march til hell freezes over and it doesnt mean normal Americans have to accept it. I personally do not nor will I ever. Nature itself proves this not normal, immoral, and just plain wrong."

The recent history of the Republican party, evangelical Christianity and Roman Catholicism suggest that each of those entities doth protest too much, as does Kenyalover2003.

Posted by: douglaslbarber | June 29, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I learned something I didn't know yesterday. Martin Luther was extremely anti-Semitic. He advocated for the cruelest of treatments for Jews, including burning down their homes.

And additionally the Southern Baptist Convention was formed because it supported slavery unlike the other 3 National Conventions.

It is not surprise that bigotry continues in America. There are still many in America who feel certain that belief in a myth--Christianity-- gives them the right to harm and call it "righteous."

Posted by: gregtexas | June 29, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Kenyalover, sorry if this seems racist, but from your SN its not a big stretch to infer that you're African-American. All these "immoral" and "wrong" claims were leveled at African-Americans by conservatives and many Southern Baptists during the Civil Rights Movement in regards to equality of the races. Even inter-racial marriage was illegal in many states until Loving v. Virginia. So stop pretending like you have the right to level these charges against people you don't even understand without seeming like a huge hypocrite. Social freedoms are what separate democratic nations from places like Iran where a dictatorial government murders and beats people who don't adhere to the moral standards that it has decided are important against the will of its own citizens.

Posted by: FairfaxIsBlue | June 29, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Yes, soon, it will be unnatural to deny GLBT Americans equality. It is absolutely normal and adds to the diversity of our species. Because of a delusional myth called bigotry, GLBT Americans have been harmed far too long.

The time has come. The world will never be that same again.

Posted by: gregtexas | June 29, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: eldergent | June 29, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

I find it very symbolic that the Obama Administration is taking steps to recognize ALL civil rights movements in our nation's history. My mother, who has always been an activist for the LGBT community, reminds me how far we have come from the previous administration. "He may not be doing it as quickly as some want, but I know he has a plan and equality will come soon".

Posted by: ZOCinDC89 | June 29, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse