The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Primary Source

Palin's Reasons for Stepping Down

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin has released her complete remarks announcing she will be stepping down from office; they can be found on her Web site. Starting part way through the speech, she explains her reasoning:

Some say things changed for me on August 29th last year - the day John McCain tapped me to be his running-mate - I say others changed.

Let me speak to that for a minute.

Political operatives descended on Alaska last August, digging for dirt. The ethics law I championed became their weapon of choice. Over the past nine months I've been accused of all sorts of frivolous ethics violations - such as holding a fish in a photograph, wearing a jacket with a logo on it, and answering reporters' questions.

Every one - all 15 of the ethics complaints have been dismissed. We've won! But it hasn't been cheap - the State has wasted THOUSANDS of hours of YOUR time and shelled out some two million of YOUR dollars to respond to "opposition research" - that's money NOT going to fund teachers or troopers - or safer roads. And this political absurdity, the "politics of personal destruction" ... Todd and I are looking at more than half a million dollars in legal bills in order to set the record straight. And what about the people who offer up these silly accusations? It doesn't cost them a dime so they're not going to stop draining public resources - spending other peoples' money in their game.

It's pretty insane - my staff and I spend most of our day dealing with THIS instead of progressing our state now. I know I promised no more "politics as usual," but THIS isn't what anyone had in mind for ALASKA.

If I have learned one thing: LIFE is about choices!

And one chooses how to react to circumstances. You can choose to engage in things that tear down, or build up. I choose to work very hard on a path for fruitfulness and productivity. I choose NOT to tear down and waste precious time; but to build UP this state and our country, and her industrious, generous, patriotic, free people!

Life is too short to compromise time and resources... it may be tempting and more comfortable to just keep your head down, plod along, and appease those who demand: "Sit down and shut up", but that's the worthless, easy path; that's a quitter's way out. And a problem in our country today is apathy. It would be apathetic to just hunker down and "go with the flow".

Nah, only dead fish "go with the flow".

No. Productive, fulfilled people determine where to put their efforts, choosing to wisely utilize precious time... to BUILD UP.

And there is such a need to BUILD up and FIGHT for our state and our country. I choose to FIGHT for it! And I'll work hard for others who still believe in free enterprise and smaller government; strong national security for our country and support for our troops; energy independence; and for those who will protect freedom and equality and LIFE... I'll work for and campaign for those PROUD to be American, and those who are INSPIRED by our ideals and won't deride them.

I WILL support others who seek to serve, in or out of office, for the RIGHT reasons, and I don't care what party they're in or no party at all. Inside Alaska - or Outside Alaska.

But I won't do it from the Governor's desk.

I've never believed that I, nor anyone else, needs a title to do this - to make a difference... to HELP people. So I choose, for my State and my family, more "freedom" to progress, all the way around... so that Alaska may progress... I will not seek re-election as Governor.

And so as I thought about this announcement that I wouldn't run for re-election and what it means for Alaska, I thought about how much fun some governors have as lame ducks... travel around the state, to the Lower 48 (maybe), overseas on international trade - as so many politicians do. And then I thought - that's what's wrong - many just accept that lame duck status, hit the road, draw the paycheck, and "milk it". I'm not putting Alaska through that - I promised efficiencies and effectiveness! ? That's not how I am wired. I am not wired to operate under the same old "politics as usual." I promised that four years ago - and I meant it.

It's not what is best for Alaska.

I am determined to take the right path for Alaska even though it is unconventional and not so comfortable.

With this announcement that I am not seeking re-election... I've determined it's best to transfer the authority of governor to Lieutenant Governor Parnell; and I am willing to do so, so that this administration - with its positive agenda, its accomplishments, and its successful road to an incredible future - can continue without interruption and with great administrative and legislative success.

My choice is to take a stand and effect change - not hit our heads against the wall and watch valuable state time and money, millions of your dollars, go down the drain in this new environment. Rather, we know we can effect positive change outside government at this moment in time, on another scale, and actually make a difference for our priorities - and so we will, for Alaskans and for Americans.

Let me go back to a comfortable analogy for me - sports... basketball. I use it because you're naïve if you don't see the national full-court press picking away right now: A good point guard drives through a full court press, protecting the ball, keeping her eye on the basket... and she knows exactly when to pass the ball so that the team can WIN. And I'm doing that - keeping our eye on the ball that represents sound priorities - smaller government, energy independence, national security, freedom! And I know when it's time to pass the ball - for victory.

I have given my reasons candidly and truthfully... and my last day won't be for another few weeks so the transition will be very smooth. In fact, we will look to swear Sean in - in Fairbanks at the conclusion of our Governor's picnics.

I do not want to disappoint anyone with my decision; all I can ask is that you TRUST me with this decision - but it's no more "politics as usual".

Some Alaskans don't mind wasting public dollars and state time. I do. I cannot stand here as your Governor and allow millions upon millions of our dollars go to waste just so I can hold the title of Governor. And my children won't allow it either. ? Some will question the timing. ? Let's just say, this decision has been in the works for awhile...

In fact, this decision comes after much consideration, and finally polling the most important people in my life - my children (where the count was unanimous... well, in response to asking: "Want me to make a positive difference and fight for ALL our children's future from OUTSIDE the Governor's office?" It was four "yes's" and one "hell yeah!" The "hell yeah" sealed it - and someday I'll talk about the details of that... I think much of it had to do with the kids seeing their baby brother Trig mocked by some pretty mean-spirited adults recently.) Um, by the way, sure wish folks could ever, ever understand that we ALL could learn so much from someone like Trig - I know he needs me, but I need him even more... what a child can offer to set priorities RIGHT - that time is precious... the world needs more "Trigs", not fewer.

My decision was also fortified during this most recent trip to Kosovo and Landstuhl, to visit our wounded soldiers overseas, those who sacrifice themselves in war for OUR freedom and security... we can ALL learn from our selfless Troops... they're bold, they don't give up, they take a stand and know that LIFE is short so they choose to NOT waste time. They choose to be productive and to serve something greater than SELF... and to build up their families, their states, our country. These Troops and their important missions - those are truly the worthy causes in this world and should be the public priority with time and resources and NOT this local / superficial wasteful political bloodsport.

May we ALL learn from them!

*((Gotta put First Things First))*

First things first: as Governor, I love my job and I love Alaska. It hurts to make this choice but I am doing what's best for Alaska. I've explained why... though I think of the saying on my parents' refrigerator that says "Don't explain: your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe you anyway."

But I have given my reasons... no more "politics as usual" and I am taking my fight for what's right - for Alaska - in a new direction.

Now, despite this, I don't want any Alaskan dissuaded from entering politics after seeing this REAL "climate change" that began in August... no, we NEED hardworking, average Americans fighting for what's right! And I will support you because we need YOU and YOU can effect change, and I can too on the outside.

We need those who will respect our Constitution where government's supposed to serve from the BOTTOM UP, not move toward this TOP DOWN big government take-over... but rather, will be protectors of individual rights - who also have enough common sense to acknowledge when conditions have drastically changed and are willing to call an audible and pass the ball when it's time so the team can win! And that is what I'm doing!

Remember Alaska... America is now, more than ever, looking North to the Future. It'll be good. So God bless you, and from me and my family - to ALL Alaska - you have my heart.

And we will be in the capable hands of our Lieutenant Governor, Sean Parnell. And Lieutenant General Craig Campbell will assume the role of Lieutenant Governor. And it is my promise to you that I will always be standing by, ready to assist. We have a good, positive agenda for Alaska.

In the words of General MacArthur said, "We are not retreating. We are advancing in another direction."

Posted at 4:59 PM ET on Jul 3, 2009  | Category:  Primary Source
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: Post 'Salon' Story Prompts WH Ethics Rules Reminder | Next: Obama Summons "Spirit of America," Seeks Support for Initiatives

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Sarah Palin played well as the governor of a state with fewer people than most of our major cities. In reality she did not seek the vice presidency, she was used as a carrot to lure angry Democratic women after Obama won the Democratic presidential nomination. Quickly, it became apparent that she was in way over her head.

I have no doubt that the cost has been dear on many levels. Her uncarefully crafted public personna was exposed as a rag tag concoction, her daughter was humiliated worldwide, her friends and neighbors were put under a microscope and the work she took credit for in Alaska was less than claimed.

I hope that she finds her niche in a more "congenial" role which is a better fit for her temperment, intelligence and inexperience. Think "Buh Bye! Hope you enjoyed the flight."

She'll make a fortune in public appearances without all the nasty inconveniences of political life.

Posted by: JacklynD | July 6, 2009 10:46 PM

What a wonderful speech..Filled with gibberish and utter nonsense. Just loved it.

By the way...What was that about her parents refrigerator magnet?

Posted by: hayden1 | July 6, 2009 5:17 PM

vrob125 and diveguy99:

It's not that she can't even handle the state of Alaska, so much as this is better for Alaska. See the difference?

Posted by: JakeD | July 6, 2009 11:57 AM

Such a thin-skinned sniping shrew has no place in politics. Be gone with her.

Posted by: pang5 | July 6, 2009 2:12 AM

uzias wrote: "The Democrat Party and other members of the radical left chose to try to destroy her as an individual and not try to deal with her qualifications or abilities."

We aren't destroying here. We're just sitting back in amazement watching her destroy herself. It's incredible.

I'm dying to hear you explain how someone who can't finish one term as governor of our least populous state is qualified to be President of the U.S. How someone hated by half her own party has any claim to unite the country. Come on. I'm dying to know.

Posted by: nodebris | July 4, 2009 11:55 PM

How in the world is she going to even attempt to be President of the free world--and can't even handle the state of Alaska?

Somebody, please explain that one?

Posted by: vrob125 | July 4, 2009 9:18 PM

bevjims1 said:

"One thing I am sure about, we haven't seen the last of her, but the first of her turned my stomach."

A nod to Firesign Theater seems only too appropriate.

"You're lucky you still have your brown paper bag Small Change!"

Posted by: JohnQuimby | July 4, 2009 7:59 PM

Gee, by the headline I thought you were going to decipher it for us.

Here's my reason why she did it:

The lame duck is a lame brain.

I couldn't resist. But really, There's gotta be fore to this. Why the haste? Some news organizations didn't even have time to get to her house for the announcement. Meghan Stapleton was on vacation. Waiting until next week was going to make a difference?

I think there's something to the rumors of a federal investigation into the building of her house and the contracts for the Wasilla Sports Complex. If Todd and some buddies built that house, they should become contractors.

Here's an interesting article from last September from the Anchorage Daily News:

Palin got zoning aid, gifts

SMALL-TOWN POLITICS: Exceptions to some rules were made through the years.

Posted by: FauxReal | July 4, 2009 5:06 PM

one word - quitter

Posted by: diveguy99 | July 4, 2009 5:03 PM

"This is not a decision she is making out of any duress."
This press conference was put together so hastily that much of the press was not there. There may not have been duress from outside but rather from the madness from within, but whatever that conference was, it was not leisurely or relaxed.

If we learned anything from Sanford's press conference it is that the contents of his rambling barrage was anything but the truth. Palin is better at controlling and dissembling but in her case there will not be a stitch of reality to her circumlocutions. There was a reason no one understood her, she did not want the truth coming out

Posted by: Gator-ron | July 4, 2009 2:42 PM

I find the responses to Palin's resignation disturbing for the profound stupidity they display. Sarah Palin has a rather credible resume yet she is not qualified to be Vice President. Obama has a Resume that would fit on a post card with room left over and he is highly qualified to be PRESIDENT of the U.S. The Democrat Party and other members of the radical left chose to try to destroy her as an individual and not try to deal with her qualifications or abilities. Considering the vitriol that Palin and her entire family have had to deal with since she hit the limelight I am surprised she has not quit sooner.

Posted by: uzias | July 4, 2009 2:39 PM

You cannot put lipstick on a pig. All you right-wingers defending Palin need to step back, take a breath, and realize that this woman is an intellectual midget. Read her speech again. Take your time. It is absolutely incoherent.

She's rambling about nothing. She doesn't actually say anything. Everybody wants liberty and justice and equality and security.

But she takes these inane generalities and then makes some sort of idiotic decision that she needs to resign her post as governor of Alaska, a year before her term ends, so she can do something productive. What? That's nonsensical.

Everything you need to know about her "strategy" comes at the end, when she quotes MacArthur on retreating. Does she even know who MacArthur was or how his career ended? MacArthur snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, unless you think a million Chinese soldiers pouring over the Yalu River was a good thing for our boys. Is she identifying with a guy who was fired from his last job because he doggedly pursued such a flawed strategy in Korea that he almost started a nuclear war? Does she have any idea what she's talking about. (Answer: no.)

Posted by: simpleton1 | July 4, 2009 11:56 AM

B2O2 wrote: "Wow. A ramble to rival Mark Sanford's."

Yea, I was thinking the same thing. But not out of control rambling. She seems very happy at her decision. This is not a decision she is making out of any duress. But it was rambling, and she kept saying she gave her reasoning, which I kept trying to find. The only reasoning I could find was that the state was spending money on "frivolous" investigations that started when she ran for VP, and she wants to save the state money. Funny considering the oil revenue gives hundreds of millions to the people of Alaska directly. Just how was a few million for ethics investigations going to ruin Alaska?

B2O2 wrote: "Cliff's Notes version: I'm quitting because I can make more money as a religious nutcase commentator on FauxNews. Need money to cover legal bills. Please send a check. Thanks."

Yes, that was my understanding too. Passing the ball to another but staying in the game. You're spot on and she make millions and get herself on the national stage for a future run for a national office. I was also thinking she might replace Steele as head of the RNC. One thing I am sure about, we haven't seen the last of her, but the first of her turned my stomach.

God help us if she moves to DC where she can work from the "outside".

Posted by: bevjims1 | July 4, 2009 11:15 AM

Wow...it reads bad too.

Posted by: LABC | July 4, 2009 11:03 AM

Everyone knows that Palin has a Dirty Little Secret:

Posted by: caraprado1 | July 4, 2009 10:41 AM

-I- know why she resigned; I call it the Michael Jackson syndrome.

Long after Michael's carreer was over, he was still craving attention, any attention, including the negative. It didn't end until he died of a heart attack. But it's the same with many other entertainers who reach the top, isn't it. Elvis. Marylin Monroe. It's like, they can't handle not having the attention anymore they start going crazy.

Just the same, long after the elections were over, Palin still wants the attention she garnered as McCain's sidekick. It's gone, and now she'll anything, everything to get attention.

Make no mistake about it. Her resigning is a publicity stunt. No doubt she'll try to use the fact she resigned "because she was tired of watching money going to waste only to keep her title as governor" in some future presidential campaign.

How utterly transparent and juvenile.

Posted by: kogejoe | July 4, 2009 5:44 AM

So why is this particular item posted under the 44 heading? What has it got to do with the Obama presidency? Could it be the sycophantic WaPo trying to distract from the lackluster and misdirected efforts of Comrade Barry Hussein and his ilk? The comments also confirm the impossibility of carrying on an intelligent discussion with a liberal when, lacking any facts or logic, all they can spew is vitriolic ad hominem attacks. My friends, it's bad form to come to a gun fight armed only with a water balloon.

Posted by: jpost1 | July 4, 2009 5:20 AM

opinion48, as long as there are folks like you around who love Sarah and can't differentiate between a plural and a possessive, I have no doubt that the GOP is going down in a great smoking ball of flame. Thanks for your posts! And please, send her lots of money. Lots. Until it hurts. Please do.

Posted by: nodebris | July 4, 2009 3:37 AM

Below is an example of why the Dems will win a second term for Obama. You right wingers are not able to separate what is a possible outcome from what you wish an outcome would be. You also are not able to recognize when your ideas and behaviors are not acceptable to the general public. Sarah Palin will never win any presidential election. They have to many of her golden moments on tape already, and there probably are some Palin family scandals which have yet to come out. So why can't the RNC find a couple of new candidate's that are qualified to be president and actually might have a chance of winning. Instead of continuing to promote someone who will never win.

***************************************************************
"Regardless of what all the liberals and the other misguided people who don't know what they are talking about, she will run for president of the USA and she will win. She stands for what is right - moral issues, pro-life,etc. It doesn't matter what is going on in her personal life. He who is without sin and personal issues, cast the first stone. She has my vote, my families vote and my friends vote. Step up for Sarah those of you who want this country to be a better country. God help us all under this president. Obama will make costly mistakes, hopefully the next president will be able to correct those mistakes. That is why we need to vote for Sarah for next president."
****************************************************************

Posted by: cam99 | July 4, 2009 3:32 AM

I don’t know about this. Lets look at this in the worst possible light and see if it makes sense. I’m governor of a large state and I have more than my share of power. My husband sits in on most of my meetings and is instrumental in running my administration, lets say as an unpaid consultant. My Lt. Governor has suddenly come into possession of some extremely provocative information concerning me, my family and/or my finances (lets say misappropriation of state funds). Seeing a political opportunity, he gives me an ultimatum. Resign my office within two weeks or the sh*t hits the fan. My right-wing friends make my leaving a little easier by arranging a book deal (with a large advance) and talk show spot on FOX. Unlikely? Implausible? No one gives up power easily, it usually has to be taken from them. Who in this scenario benefits the most. When you determine that, you can determine the motivation and with a little digging the tools used to apply the pressure. SOMEONE HAS THE GOODS ON MS. PALIN AND IT LOOKS LIKE ITS THE LT. GOVERNOR.

Posted by: Taylorsucram | July 4, 2009 3:11 AM

Wow. First time I've ever heard anyone quote a refrigerator magnet. Of course, that magnet is much smarter than she is.

Posted by: DemoDevil | July 4, 2009 3:04 AM

Wow. How are her fans going to explain why she should be president of the U.S. when she can't even deal with being governor of our least populous state?

Conservatives will figure out a way, though. It'll be a stupid explanation, but that won't matter to them.

"It's just a flesh wound!"

Posted by: nodebris | July 4, 2009 3:01 AM

I, for ONE, am GLAD she is GONE. She had BECOME insufferable.

Posted by: atlasfugged | July 4, 2009 2:03 AM

Ode to the libs:

Now the libs all suck as we know,
'cause they like Barak and ol' Joe.
It went over their head
When Palin said........
Dead fish all go with the flow.

Posted by: Billw3 | July 4, 2009 12:58 AM

To Bowhunter:
I see what youre about...Ted Nugent wanna be...never served in the military...NRA stickers and derogatory Dem/Obama stickers on your making up for lost masculinity CJ-5....quasi racist, right under the skin; when you drink it comes out...Palin induced wetdreams...
Go dream about shooting your pig.
I'm just a ...
Dem/navy spec ops retired-Gulf War Vet/gun ownwer and f*&king liberal.

Posted by: kirinbeer96701 | July 3, 2009 11:15 PM

"Nah. Only dead fish go with the flow."

Sarah has officially claimed her rightful position as a "dead fish" going down the toilet in "the flow" with the rest of the losers..

Posted by: gregp1 | July 3, 2009 9:30 PM

I have been informed that Palin is headed to California in order to attend the Michael Jackson funeral. Afterwards she will have a press avail where she will reveal the she is the father of Michael Jackson's children.

This will cause the head of Nancy Grace to explode, creating a vacancy at CNN that Palin will be more than happy to fill.

Palin will then reveal herself to be a closet liberal and admit that she, herself, was responsible for the negative leaks about her emanating from the McCain campaign, thus crushing any hopes for the Republicans in 2008.

I can't disclose my source but you may say that you heard it here first.

Posted by: palmtree2001 | July 3, 2009 9:21 PM

An obvious Hail Mary--she's sick of paying to defend herself from ethics charges. Her family's sick of defending her. I hate to break it to the right wingers, but she doesn't have what it takes (in so many ways, but here I mean a thick skin) to make it on the national stage. If her trials to date are enough to make her quit the governorship, just wait until she runs for president. This just illustrates again how utterly unqualified and constitutionally unsuited she is for high office. Another delightful Republican meltdown.

Posted by: arlwatcher | July 3, 2009 9:20 PM

What an absolute idiot..! Maybe Palin should try to stay home and raise her small child who needs her. Whatever size shoe she wears...she always seems to put her foot in her mouth...Maybe she can work at a consignment shop...!

Posted by: ashee02 | July 3, 2009 8:51 PM

DID PALIN GET CAUGHT IN THE MOB BLOGGING?

Andrea Mitchell says:

"I have been told she is out of politics period."
"She has had it and [is] out of politics."
"She is fed up with politics, she doesn't like her life, she needs to raise her family."
"She really does not want to run for higher office."
"She has told some of her biggest backers in the national Republican party that they are free to chose other candidates for 2012."

Read more at http://thepage.time.com/andrea-mitchell-on-palin/

or if DHS is blocking that site,

go to

Posted by: scribbler50 | July 3, 2009 8:31 PM

"Nah. Only dead fish go with the flow."

Surely that will go down in history as one of the stupidest things that anyone has ever said.

Posted by: Tomcat3 | July 3, 2009 8:24 PM

The circus is in town again. Palin is putting up the big top for another show.
Step this way, see the elephant, see the bearded woman.
Ya gotta love it.

Posted by: seemstome | July 3, 2009 8:17 PM

to kissarmy - Anyone who claims to speak with GOD (I.e. Bush or Palin) cannot be trusted to make sound decisions. Obama consults with the best and the brightest to make his decisions. Anyone who thinks speaking with GOD is even a reality simply a self serving WINGNUT. Yourself included.

Posted by: gregp1 | July 3, 2009 7:55 PM

To kiss-army | July 3, 2009 6:26 PM ..

RUSH lIMBAUGH, BILL OREILLY, MICHAEL SAVAGE, AND THE LIST OF HATE MONGERS GOES ON AND ON ...

Posted by: gregp1 | July 3, 2009 7:23 PM

Posted by: opinion48 | July 3, 2009 6:28 PM

ANSWER:

BUSH made costly mistakes, hopefully OBAMA will be able to correct those mistakes. That is why we need to SUPPORT OBAMA.

Posted by: gregp1 | July 3, 2009 7:17 PM

I guess its better to run for president on the tax payers dime.
And there is already someone to take over for her. Leaving a private company is completely different.

Posted by: kiss-army | July 3, 2009 6:50 PM

Probably a scandal is going to come out, the last child was from a different father or something like that. After all she is a republican and that is what we all expect from the party that preaches "do as I say, not as I do".....

Posted by: Blah-Blah | July 3, 2009 6:50 PM

Palin referred to Obama as "Sambo" during the Democratic presidential primaries. This has now been confirmed by multiple news outlets across the country.

Posted by: klondie30 | July 3, 2009 6:46 PM

Why do right wingers, and lets face it everyone in the USA is a right winger, have such huge problems in seeing Palin for what she is a user and abuser of power? I have three guys working for me and I have to give a months notice to my employer so how come Palin thinks "a few weeks" is enough to lay down the governorship of an American State? Palin is right to lay down the governorship in the longer term, she's no good at the job after all, but I would have thought there were plenty of MacDonald's in Alaska she'd be well suited for, why would she want to travel to Washington to ask the famous question of the people ...... "do you want fries with that?"

Posted by: Proximaking | July 3, 2009 6:38 PM

Obama ran for president the whole time he was in the senate. Just what did he do for his constituents agan? Inquiring minds what to know.

Posted by: kiss-army | July 3, 2009 6:35 PM

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." (Hamlet, Act III, scene ii)
Whatever her reasons, her resignation is a blessing to the State of Alaska. Now, if only she would resign from the Republican Party.

Posted by: marrobcastle | July 3, 2009 6:33 PM

Another thing is that people need to stop wasting time and money on stupid complaints. It is getting real ridiculous people. There are better things to do than to accuse people of doing wrong by fishing, and hunting. I wouldn't be surprised if most of these people eat read meat and seafood. Come on people, grow up!

Posted by: opinion48 | July 3, 2009 6:33 PM

upperdeck:
yes, it is called a run for the presidency.

and NOT walking on her state's taxpaying people to fund it.

Posted by: TheBabeNemo | July 3, 2009 6:30 PM

Another crock from the scheming Sarah Palin. Saying that she doesn't think it's good for Alaska for her to be a lame duck governor proves her dishonesty. She's not required to announce whether she'll run again for governor until next June!

No, we're seeing how important Alaskans are to the ambitious Sarah, who's willing to abandon them now to pursue her own agenda. Watch your back Lisa Murkowski .....

Posted by: bamccampbell | July 3, 2009 6:30 PM

kiss-army said:
"Its amazing to me how hateful and offensive the libs on this site can be."

Projection by the less evolved.

Posted by: Billw3 | July 3, 2009 6:29 PM

yeah, i know.
we s*ck as Americans
we have the birth certificates to prove it.

Posted by: TheBabeNemo | July 3, 2009 6:28 PM

Posted by: opinion48 | July 3, 2009 6:28 PM

Its amazing to me how hateful and offensive the libs on this site can be. And they call conservatives the hate mongers.

Posted by: kiss-army | July 3, 2009 6:26 PM

"She can make big money stripping at the Wasilla biker bar and grill."

Pelosi has already applied.

Posted by: Billw3 | July 3, 2009 6:21 PM

OakRaidFan1 said:
"Don't let the door hit you on the way out"

I noticed Obama got out of Wright's church without the door hitting him.

Posted by: Billw3 | July 3, 2009 6:18 PM

She can make big money stripping at the Wasilla biker bar and grill.

Posted by: hamishdad | July 3, 2009 6:16 PM

Bowhunter - you said

1) "All the libtards now line up, pointing a finger saying I told you so. I told you she was worthless.

2) When less then a year ago you libtards didn't even know the name Sarah Palin. My how "tolerant" of you.

3) But watchout all you libs. She may have a strategic advantage now, and may show up again in order to remove your socialistic Messiah from the White House. Assuming he hasn't sold THAT to China as well.

MY ANSWERS:

1) I TOLD YOU SO.
2) THESE TWO CLAIMS ARE UNRELATED. YOU ARE MAKING A CONNECTION WHERE NONE EXISTS.
3) YOU ARE LIVING IN A FANTASY WORLD TO RATIONALIZE YOUR POLITICAL IRRELEVANCE

GO SHOOT PIGS WITH A BOW YOU UNEVOLVED CRETIN.

Posted by: gregp1 | July 3, 2009 6:15 PM

I'm sorry, I've read through this statement more than once, trying to understand what she is saying, but it just seems absolute gibberish. Something else is going on here for her to resign the governorship.

Posted by: upperdeck4 | July 3, 2009 6:15 PM

Me smells a scandal coming......

She must be a total moron to think that she has a chance in 2012 after all the faux pas - the people do not forget easily and even if they do the late night talk show hosts are on hand to remind them.

Seriously, I think there is a scandal brewing and she decided to resign before she is dragged thru the mud.

What a month it has been for all these crooks (sorry politicians) - Ensign, Sanford, etc.... does Palin join their ranks? Time will tell.

Posted by: samjohnson60 | July 3, 2009 6:13 PM

When is the reality show "Wasilla" coming out?

Posted by: LisaW2 | July 3, 2009 6:13 PM

She has signed a 7 million dollar deal with Harper Collins due out May 2010.

A stay at home mom can find out the info before Reuters? Duh.

Posted by: LisaW2 | July 3, 2009 6:12 PM

Most of you Obama supporters are so unprincipled yourselves that you don't recognize or appreciate integrity when you see it. Birds of a feather.

Posted by: Billw3 | July 3, 2009 6:09 PM

My wife and I can now celebrate our anniversary with added jubilation. Thank you, Sarah, for choosing our special day to get the hell out of office, hopefully once and for all. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. You, your family, your Party, and your politics are all what America does NOT need any more of, ever. Please don't make the mistake of trying to come back or run for an office ever again.

Posted by: OakRaidFan1 | July 3, 2009 6:08 PM

All the libtards now line up, pointing a finger saying I told you so. I told you she was worthless. When less then a year ago you libtards didn't even know the name Sarah Palin. My how "tolerant" of you.

Posted by: Bowhunter | July 3, 2009 6:06 PM

Fishy as all get out.

Posted by: SarahBB | July 3, 2009 6:02 PM

This woman is irresponsible of her duty. She took on the governorship and now she resigns? What about her duty to the people of Alaska? This is all about Sarah Palin and her selfishness and arrogance. Abdicating. I've lost what little respect I had left for this woman.

Now she can go on the pundit speaking tours and bang away the drum beat of lies with passion and prejudice and ignorance. She will be making a lot of people a lot of money including herself. How cynical.

Posted by: lucy2008 | July 3, 2009 6:00 PM

*** PRESIDENT PALIN ***

12:00:00 - 01.20.2013

BYE-BYE, OBOOBMA!!

Posted by: zjr78xva | July 3, 2009 5:59 PM

POLITICO has confirmed her 2 YEAR Extramarital affair.

Posted by: A-Voter | July 3, 2009 5:38 PM

Outrunning the skeletons about to escape the closet and even Limbaugh couldn't prevent what was coming. Perhaps credit where credit is due she has for once made an intelligent decision.

Posted by: anOPINIONATEDsob | July 3, 2009 5:37 PM

POLITICO has confirmed her 2 YEAR Extramarital affair.

Posted by: A-Voter | July 3, 2009 5:33 PM

Does anyone have a clue as to what she said?

I haven't heard so much bull, since last week when Sanford opened his mouth.

Posted by: yvberj | July 3, 2009 5:33 PM

She's also announced a massive personal policy change:

"I choose NOT to tear down and waste precious time; but to build UP this state and our country, and her industrious, generous, patriotic, free people!"

Posted by: TheBoy | July 3, 2009 5:28 PM

"I choose not to tear down..." What a lying sack of you know what. That is ALL SHE DID on the campaign trail, nasty lies and half-truths. Good F'in riddance.

Posted by: JRM2 | July 3, 2009 5:28 PM

Perhaps Obama could appoint her ambassador to an itty bitty country on another planet -- I mean continent.

Posted by: dottie_b | July 3, 2009 5:27 PM

Wasilla wanted its village idiot back....so Sarah obliged.

Posted by: benighse | July 3, 2009 5:25 PM

Wow. A ramble to rival Mark Sanford's.

Posted by: B2O2 | July 3, 2009 5:21 PM

Fascinating. So there's only one choice for a governor who is a lame duck, and that's to rip the public off? By this same (il)logic, any governor who is elected for a second, final term should immediately resign, since they are by definition a lame duck??? And she wants to be president...

Posted by: BwanaDik | July 3, 2009 5:18 PM