Why Delay May Help Health-Care Reform

By Ben Pershing
A big setback for President Obama. That's how Thursday's lead story -- the Senate won't pass health-care reform before the August recess -- is being portrayed.

"Blown Deadline, Blown Chance?" asks a Politico headline. Harry Reid's move "confirmed the growing consensus on Capitol Hill that the White House's fast-track approach has failed," the Washington Post says. But while it may be clear Obama's tactics have not worked so far, it's much less clear that this delay actually hurts the reform effort's long-term prospects, rather than helps.

At FiveThirtyEight, Nate Silver writes that the timeout is "about as likely to do the Democrats some good as some harm." Why? Because "the media environment has become very treacherous," with the press "piling on" Obama and overly fixated on the idea of momentum. And, Silver adds, because there are a few positive economic signs (like the Dow topping 9,000 Thursday) that could prompt "a lot of quite optimistic chatter about the end of the recession" by the time Congress reconvenes in September.

Continue reading at Political Browser »

By Ben Pershing  |  July 24, 2009; 8:24 AM ET
Categories:  The Rundown
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: POTUS Events: Focused on Health Care
Next: So, Who's Bringing the S'mores?

Comments

My God, what a shame! Once I was in Milwaukee with a group of students. During my degree I have studied American Literature, in my opinion, one of the best. So, I was surely that the American Dream was true and that I would have the opportunity to reach the stairs to make way for my personal wishes and hopes. Believe me! I have proved the miracle of the American Dream. The People, the mixture of races, religions, thoughts, ideals and their great hospitality. But…some kind of suspicious, dark, politics hands turned my sweet dream in to a terrible nightmare. The habitants of the most important economic power in the world, has no health insurance as we have in Spain. And I said to myself… My God, what a shame!

Posted by: avesaabrasil | July 26, 2009 4:30 AM | Report abuse

A few comments--
as one discusses/compares 'Canadian' medicinal system, one should realize there is no such thing as a 'Canadian' medicinal system. Each province has its own system. None are national.
Canada has a different general, legal, and judicial approach to medical malpractice, resulting in one fifth the number of suits filed as in U.S.
Lastly, some comparisons have been made to compulsory automobile insurance. Why not follow this example with deductible, co-insurance medical insurance?

Posted by: stanleygoldm | July 25, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

A few comments--
Lastly, some comparisons have been made to compulsory automobile insurance. Why not follow this example with deductible, co-insurance?

Posted by: stanleygoldm | July 25, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

More delays will give more Senators and more Representatives time to get on board the insurance company money train before it leaves Washington D.C. If a public plan doesn't happen this time it never will.

I used to be extremely doubtful of the intelligence and wisdom of the average American, then Obama became president.
For a time I honestly believed there was an awakening in people's ability to reason, to be able to see truly without bias or hatred clouding their minds.

But now I hear people muttering the same old epithets that I heard as a boy and it seems to me we are headed for a future more enslaved than we were in the past.
Now we obey the corporate slave masters without the chains and whips. We believe their lies and enslave ourselves.

Posted by: seemstome | July 24, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

The thesis of Nate Silver is perceptive as usual, thank you for promoting it here. Silver is on the liberal side but is more concerned with accuracy than politics.

Since the Dow bottomed in March I have thought that the worst was seen there and that the worst in economic activity would occur in June. There still is employment that would not bottom until very late 2009 or early 2010 if this economy behaves like the past. But according to economists employment has fallen more relative to GDP than in the past so that may not auger well for employment recovery. Still the brunt of the stimulus has not kicked in.

I would never have believed that home builders would be a top performing sector this far along in the stock market rally. The implication from this is that housing has bottomed and the greatest impediment to this economy may be stronger than anticipated.

Good economic news in the coming month would be a boost to Obama but more importantly to health insurance reform.

Posted by: Gator-ron | July 24, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I am never comfortable with the word delay..when I think Congress. It gives lobbyists more time to find loop holes to get what they need for thier clients.

I can only hope the President will use the time to re-group.. leave no stone unturned to get his ducks in order. Because as a voter I am watching the 'game' and right now I hope middle America is not being sent down the drain under the words.. 'further negotiations.'

Time to turn Blue Dogs into more passionate Americans. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8EYz6UaNNg

Posted by: Victoria5 | July 24, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

WHAT GOOD IS HEALTH CARE REFORM WHEN A FEDERAL 'MULTI-AGENCY COORDINATED ACTION PROGRAM' IS DESTROYING THE LIVES AND LIVELIHOODS OF UNJUSTLY 'TARGETED' AMERICANS...

...BY MEANS OF A GPS-ACTIVATED VIGILANTE 'COMMUNITY STALKING' ARMY; CO-OPTED LOCAL POLICE; FINANCIAL SABOTAGE; AND THE DEPLOYMENT OF SILENT, INJURY- AND ILLNESS-INDUCING MICROWAVE/LASER 'DIRECTED ENERGY WEAPONS'?

***

THE PROF. GATES POLICE HOME INVASION:
EMBLEMATIC OF THIS POLICE STATE GESTAPO.

• President Obama must dismantle the nationwide GPS-activated extrajudicial "torture matrix" and remove from power the federal officials who continue to oversee it.

IT HAPPENS TO WHITE ETHNIC MINORITIES, TOO:

OR (if links are corrupted / disabled):

http://NowPublic.com/scrivener RE: "GESTAPO USA"

Posted by: scrivener50 | July 24, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

The White House has already negotiated a $235 billion dollar cut in your health care costs.

Posted by: JohnQuimby | July 24, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse