Kanye Interrupts Obama: The Mashup

By Garance Franke-Ruta
Because things on the Internet move at, well, Internet speed, above is a mashup video of Kanye West interrupting President Obama's speech to Congress, released to the Web just hours after West pulled a Joe Wilson on Taylor Swift at the MTV Video Music Awards Sunday night.

West later apologized on his blog.

By Web Politics Editor  |  September 14, 2009; 12:36 AM ET
Categories:  Making the Rounds
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: On '60 Minutes,' Obama Predicts Health Care Will Succeed
Next: For a Day, Obama Shifts Focus to Wall Street

Comments

When I read vitrolic comments about obscenities used by Serena and Kanye, I'm reminded that our former VP (if anyone has forgotten, that's Dick Cheney, an older white man) used profanity in the Halls of Congress. Does anyone criticizing Serena and Kanye want to hold a confab about that? Which occurrence was worse and why? Please be literate in your response.

Posted by: GrannyAnnie | September 15, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

"Kanye West is not a racist"

Maybe, but he is a moron.

For example, he doesn't understand the joke:

"Do you like Fish Sticks?"

And he took his mother to the world's worst plastic surgeon.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | September 14, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Your subject line is misleading and false. This a is pitiful and desperate act to use President Obama name in this article. Why was he even mentioned? I guess this is just a continual process from the media to denigrate this president.
The world is seeing the disgusting role other media outlets including, the Washington Post and CNN are playing to discredit this president.

Truth be told this President is one of the best President of our generation and history will prove it. It's just a shame that we have to put up with disgusting, garbage article like this for now.

Posted by: minnie2 | September 14, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

What a self absorbed, arrogant, classless jerk he is!

Posted by: roanns | September 14, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Including this "farce" in the subject with serious politics is an example of how "media" adds fuel to the "teabaggers" disrespect for President Obama. This is NOT a comparison or true parody - but another contrived piece for those wingnuts to add to their fodder. Sorry WP, I'm disappointed. And for those linking Kanye and Serena's meltdowns, there are millions of comparisons to address, least of all most of Bill O'Reilly's, Glenn Beck's, Rush, John McEnroe, Roddick's tantrums. So let's not continue to hid racists comments as if there were pragmatic parallels.

Posted by: HarrietA | September 14, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Kanye is a complete joke, and a thug as well. If it had been the opposite, the sound of racism would have been so loud, you would have heard it in Russia. Do we say double standard here????
Oh, of course not, that never happens.

Posted by: gerry11 | September 14, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

WaPo sinks lower and lower every day. Why is this trash on "Politics"?

Posted by: rlj1 | September 14, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

... and there is no racial component here?

Posted by: whocares666 | September 14, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I immediately thought of Joe Wilson too. Appalling behavior is appalling behavior.

If MTV had guts, they'd ban Kanye next year, but I'm sure they love this publicity.

Posted by: sarahabc | September 14, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Kanye West is not a racist. Just because he doesn't think Taylor Swift is HOT, and he embarrassed her in front of the world. Tough. Tell Joe Wilson to apologize directly to President Obama, because he embarrassed himself in front of the entire world.

Posted by: margaretthompson1 | September 14, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Kanye West should show respect to the President of the United States. You cannot do things just because you are a celebrity. Show some respect and others will respect you. I will throw away all Mr. West's CDs that I own, erase all his songs in my Ipod and will buy anything that has his pictures on it.

Posted by: jojomijala | September 14, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Well, when I saw this, I immediately thought Kanye has a brilliant career ahead of him as a politician! However, Miss Swift would get my vote.

Posted by: Prosperity2008 | September 14, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

First Serena Williams now Kanye West, who's next to make a complete fool of themselves?

Posted by: fstrimper | September 14, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Just another low life, ignorant, uncivilized black (like Serena) with no manners or social skills.

Posted by: SideShowBob1 | September 14, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

I'm so out of the whole awards thing I had no idea of the story. When I saw the "headline", I thought Kanye and the President were at some event this weekend and Kanye acted out. This video is pretty funny- but Obama wouldn't have said "not true" about Beyonce. He chose her to sing the first song he and Michele danced to at the first inaugural ball(not Single Ladies!)

Posted by: AndrearKline | September 14, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Welcome to thug life! First on the tennis court, and now again West shows he is an uncouth bully; at the Euro Grammies he threw a fit and thought he could just march up on stage and complain.
He MUST be banned from music award shows. No matter what he says, he ruined a really crucial moment for a 17 year old. Where was security, to let him come up on stage and wrestle a microphone away from her?
But that's ok; keep letting him and others place the race card and sooner or later there will be a backlash over this bs.

Posted by: Beckola | September 14, 2009 7:06 AM | Report abuse

I've heard Kanye's stuff multi times, and I've got to assume like Lady Gaga, he is just a creation of the record companies.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | September 14, 2009 6:24 AM | Report abuse

Kanye West is a racist crybaby. We don't want to see him, hear him, just keep him away.

Posted by: bingham60 | September 14, 2009 5:34 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad you liked the video! I had the Obama footage cued up already for another project, so it was pretty simple to splice in the audio and do a few cutaways. :)

Posted by: freeyourpixels | September 14, 2009 3:39 AM | Report abuse

...because an MTV awards show is such a serious concern to all of us.

If you watched the show, it was five or six people giving awards to each other for mostly mediocre artistry, while Michael Jackson's genius towered on the big screen behind them. Kanye reprised his role as cad, ensuring they all got lots more tweets than they would have otherwise. See you next year, everybody!

Posted by: bmull | September 14, 2009 2:42 AM | Report abuse

When the racist Kanye West humiliates a young white woman in front of her fans and the country it makes sense that they treat it simply as a joke.

It glaringly shows the double standard this paper has.

Posted by: billjwilson | September 14, 2009 1:35 AM | Report abuse