With Promises of Aid, President Sends American Samoa Condolences

President Obama Wednesday morning issued a statement on the disaster in American Samoa, which was struck by a tsunami Tuesday night Eastern time in the wake of a South Pacific earthquake.

"Michelle and I send our deepest condolences to the families and loved ones of those who lost their lives in the earthquake and tsunami in American Samoa and the region," he said.

"I am closely monitoring these tragic events, and have declared a major disaster for American Samoa, which will provide the tools necessary for a full, swift and aggressive response. The Federal Emergency Management Agency is in close and constant contact with emergency responders, and the U.S. Coast Guard is fully supporting the deployment of resources to those areas in need of immediate assistance. We also stand ready to help our friends in Samoa and the region," he continued. "Going forward, we will continue to provide the resources necessary to respond to this catastrophe, and we will keep those who have lost so much in our thoughts and prayers."

By Web Politics Editor  |  September 30, 2009; 7:27 AM ET
Categories:  National Security
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: RNC Chairman Compares Pro-Obama Song to Communist Propaganda
Next: Liberals Regroup After Public Option Defeat

Comments

Where is NANCY PELOSI??? This is where her husband has over $12 MILLION DOLLARS worth of stock in the Star Kist Tuna factory there. Why isn't she doing or saying anything about the plight of her workers, etc.??? This is shocking and no one hears about her not giving them the wage increases last time because it would cause the price of her tuna to go up and when she was found out, she got the minimum wage for them this time. I hope and pray that we can help these people and I know we can. Someone mentioned Katrina again because few people know the truth about that fiasco but if they did a little research, they would discover just how much has been donated-in the billions now-to New Orleans and the whole area. Companies and individuals, churches, all kinds of other than government sourches. How could the mayor of New Orleans set by while 250 school buses set empty and flooded but one young man stole one of them and carried a lot of people out of there before the flooding occurred. How many people know that the then governor of that state would not call in the troops and would not allow intervention before it got so bad??? It was all about blaming Bush for everything and I never heard much about their gratitude for all the help that came their way. I beleive that this island of wonderful people will be different. I'm just waiting to see if Miss Pelosi does anything for her company down there.....Makes one wonder sometimes....

Posted by: noseyten | October 1, 2009 7:15 AM | Report abuse

I don't mean this politically, and hope it won't be taken as such, but I trust we won't repeat the mistakes of Katrina.

Americans need help, and this is the sort of help that govt is for - and I say that as a small govt person

Posted by: BostonCharles | September 30, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

E muamua ona fia momoli atu a'u alofa'aga i aiga ma tagata uma o lo'o mafatia i le mafui'e. Ia fa'amanuia atu Le Atua ia te oe America Samoa, fa'apea ma nu'u uma o lo'o tigaina i lenei taimi. Alofa tele atu i a'u aiga mai Fagatogo. Taua'eses/Tiumalus/Lutus. I just wanted to send my deepest and sincerest condolences to my dear families and friends in American Samoa, especially in my hometown Fagatogo. I love and miss you guys. Wishing all of you a speedy recovery through these hard times. God Bless!!! 4 those who are wondering what the other comment is saying in samoan, it's been translated in english already..

Posted by: 5teinesamoa | September 30, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

"While the death and devastation which the tsunami wrought is a terrible tragedy, I have to believe people of most political stripes would rather have the present administration dealing with this matter instead of GWB's administration given the latter's experience in handling the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Posted by: brwntrt | September 30, 2009 9:56 AM"
--------

You know, even though I agree with this factually, this comment rests squarely in the category of "things better left unsaid." Let's not get into the habit of scoring political points on natural disasters especially when they are still counting the dead.

You may have noticed a strong bipartisan response to the floods in Georgia, with praise from Senator Saxby Chambliss for the Obama administration's response via FEMA and other agencies. Don't screw things up. It does not help emergency victims to politicize their fate.

Posted by: fairfaxvoter | September 30, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Our hearts, thoughts and prayers are with the people whose lives have been turned upside down by this tragedy.

Posted by: JRG4 | September 30, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brwntrt | September 30, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

If you look at where Samoa is on the map, it's not exactly right next door. These people can use the help right now, and I would encourage people on the mainland not to forget their fellow American citizens in far off places.

Posted by: timscanlon | September 30, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse