Obama push for Deeds continues

By Rosalind Helderman
Ever receive a letter from the president of the United States? About 330,000 Virginians are about to get one, as the Democratic Party of Virginia puts a letter in the snail mail from President Obama to voters identified as part of the "surge" who came out to the polls to elect Obama last year and are now seen as critical to closing the gap between Democrat Creigh Deeds and Republican Bob McDonnell.

The letterhead includes a nifty presidential symbol with the words, "A special message from President Barack Obama." In the letter, Obama writes: "To make real changes in this country, it will take more than just my presidency - it requires your continued vigilance in the cause of progress. To move this country forward, I need the support and partnership of good governors who are ready to help lay the foundations of change. And this November 3rd is your opportunity to help Virginia do just that."

Continue reading at Virginia Politics»

By Web Politics Editor  |  October 29, 2009; 1:58 PM ET
Categories:  50 States
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: House health bill ready for its closeup
Next: Inside the Obama campaign: Former campaign manager Plouffe's book revisits 2008

Comments

@jwv651 - Of course the President has more words than action. All presidents are. His job is to sign or veto bills that come to his desk. He doesn't make laws, he can only suggest to lawmakers what he would like. The only other major action he can take without congressional approval is starting a war with another country and luckily it looks like he's not going to be doing that anytime soon.

Posted by: simkatu | October 30, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

If I had to give a honest rating on Barrack Obama, and I am a Democrat from Chicago I would give him a solid 4 out of 10. I feel he has done more talking than actions. At this point in time I don't think I could vote another Democrat into congress in any office until they get their act together. So far they have disappointed me in more ways than one. And I am not alone!

Posted by: jwv651 | October 29, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Those snarling savagely about how taxpayers had better not have to pay for this letter can relax. The Democratic National Committee will pay for the letters. It's chump change to them.

Another point is that those doing the snarling are not going to number among the Obama voters who get one of those letters. Unless there suddenly comes a cold day in Hell. . . .

Posted by: JimmyMontague | October 29, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

The only Obama is capable of running is ACORN. Deeds can be his VP.

Posted by: buzzychief | October 29, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Obama hasn't lived up to every-one's exceptions, actually he's done a poor job his first 10 months as President. BUT .. look at the decay of the Republican party, it's self destructed. The people who claim to lead the party belong in a mental hospital or drug rehab. They have no goals or policy, all they do is criticize everything Obama tries to do. For a party that claims to have family values & embraces the right wing born-again Christians ... it's totally failed. It's members have been caught in extra martial affairs, even homosexual relationships. The Republican party has a bleak future if any future at all. As for State politics, they don't mean a lot, it's the National elections the Republicans have no chance of winning ...

Posted by: wasaUFO | October 29, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Who is paying for the postage and the cost of letterhead for that? Is that legal? If so, then I would like the government and the president to pay for advertising for me.

Posted by: nfe123 | October 29, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I’ve found online that “a response to a piece of mail is a complex action – the recipient must open the piece, read the piece and then take action on it” and “the standard response rate for a piece of mail sent to a recipient is about two percent.”

Two percent of 330,000 “surge voters” equals potentially only 6,660 additional votes for Creigh Deeds from this effort.

I don’t think that’ll be quite enough votes to make up for the current double-digit deficit that Mr. Deeds is experiencing in the polls.

Posted by: VirginianforFreedom | October 29, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Obozzo - I think anyone with more than 2 brain cells rolling around in their heads feel we have already had enough "real change". After having virtually destroyed the entire country in less than a year, how about just resigning and saving tax payers (admittedly, none of which are your constituents) the cost of impeaching your dumbazzz?

Posted by: Bcamp55 | October 29, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

This time next year the right wing will be grinding their teeth and whining. When this health care bill goes in effect, and people see the results in their lives, they will be full of gratitude and the GOP slogans about socialism will die away.

Posted by: ottothewise | October 29, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

1610 HOLLAND 'Camden's Brit.' 175 When this right worshipful title [of knighthood] was by the Prince conferred upon one.

Posted by: edtroyhampton | October 29, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Obama will never get my support on his taxpayer funded bs. NEVER.
The socialist democrats may as well come and try and take me away now.
The only satisfaction I'm ever going to get is watching the libtards that voted this clown in suffer in a stew of their own ignorance.

Posted by: Thozmaniac | October 29, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Who paid for this? The answer had better not be the taxpayers? This needs to be investigated immediately.

Obama can push and strain all he wants on Deeds all he is going to get are hemmroids.

Posted by: Bubbette1 | October 29, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if it will arrive prior to election day?!

Posted by: AutumnBanter | October 29, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

This wasn't taxpayer funded, right?

Posted by: JakeD | October 29, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse