President Lou Dobbs? Ex-CNNer says he's considering a run

Longtime CNN commentator Lou Dobbs, left, who resigned from the cable network in November after 29 years. (Kathy Willens/Associated Press)

Updated 11:21 a.m.
By Garance Franke-Ruta
Former CNN anchor Lou Dobbs is considering a bid for the presidency.

Asked Monday by former senator and current radio host Fred Thompson if he had given any thought to running for president in 2012, Dobbs replied: "Yes, is the answer."

"I'm gonna be talking some more with some folks who want me to listen to 'em in the next few weeks," Dobbs continued in the appearance on "The Fred Thompson Show." "I mean I don't even know what to tell you in terms of where I'm leaning. Because right now I'm fortunate to have a number of just wonderful options."

Also on Monday, Dobbs told Washington-area radio station WTOP (in remarks first noted by Politico): "I don't think I've got the nature for it...But we've got to do something in this country. And I think that being in the public arena means you've got to be part of the solution."

Dobbs made the disclosure in response to one of the radio hosts joking that pundits had been floating "crazy talk" about him running for office in recent days.

"What's so crazy about that?" asked Dobbs.

Dobbs's spokesman, Robert Dillenschneider, said Tuesday that Dobbs has retreated to his Florida vacation and home and, with his wife, will decide among "30 different opportunities" in the next few weeks.

"Since the day he left CNN, his phone has been ringing off the hook," Dillenschneider said. These calls, he said, are not just from business and television executives but "politicians who are both on the right and some in the center, who are independent. Some say he should run for Robert Menendez's seat," representing New Jersey in the Senate, "and that might morph into something larger. It's just incredible what's happened."

Already, there are two Web sites encouraging Dobbs to run for high office, the legacy of speculation over his political future dating to 2007. One site pitching a national draft campaign to encourage Dobbs to run, loudobbs4president.net, was launched in the summer of 2007 and recently updated for the 2012 cycle. The group Americans for Legal Immigration PAC (ALIPAC) maintains the other "Draft Lou Dobbs for President" site, loudobbsforpresident.org, launched in 2008 and also updated to be geared to a potential 2012 campaign.

Dobbs toyed with the idea of making a presidential bid in 2007, the Wall Street Journal's John Fund reported two years ago. "Friends of Mr. Dobbs say he is seriously contemplating a race for the first time, although it's still unlikely," he wrote. Dobbs dismissed the speculation at the time, telling the Journal's Greg Hitt in early 2008, "I haven't got the personality or nature to be a politician."

But, he added, "I cannot say never."

Washington Post staff writer Howard Kurtz contributed to this report.

By Web Politics Editor  |  November 24, 2009; 10:18 AM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency , Media Notes
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: S.C. governor faces 37 charges he broke state ethics laws
Next: Google apologizes for offensive image of first lady

Comments

Lou Dobbs has always impressed me as a very ANGRY man! I missed the reason, but he also has it in for Obama for some reason. I remember about when it happened, but I missed the actual reason! The Dobbs agenda taht I would go for would be getting rid of the illegals!! I am so damn sick of hearing: "Press 1 for English! Press 2 if you're too stupid to speak English!!"

WHEN did ANY of the other ethnicities get "honored" with SPECIAL telephone messages, SPECIAL bi-lingual teachers, etc.??

What makes these leeches any better than OUR ancestors, who HAD to learn English or just PUNT?? These criminal invaders don't even WANT to speak English or become citizens, but the money (cash, not recorded for taxation!) they steal by taking Americans' jobs away from them (who would gladly work for the same amount AND have taxes deducted!)is LOVED by the GREEDY businesspeople, so they push for all these favoritism mistakes!!

I'm solidly WITH Lou Dobbs on this issue!!

Posted by: Maerzie | November 29, 2009 1:31 AM | Report abuse

It's actualy kind of sad that his ego got inflated to the point that he will self-destruct!! He was acceptable at what he did, but now he wrecked it!!

Posted by: Maerzie | November 27, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Lou Dobbs can "consider" running all he wants, but he has always portrayed himself as a person with an "agenda", so I doubt he will be very well accepted!! He is a VERY opinionated guy, and he has some "bone" to pick with Obama, so he will have his friends and foes. More likely, foes!!

Posted by: Maerzie | November 27, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

The conservative clown parade marhes on. God help us if one of these hateful jokers ever attains a position of real power.

Posted by: rooster54 | November 25, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Lou Dobbs consulted with his imaginary friend, Moo regarding his political future.....Not a surprise -- what other kind of friends do KKKonservatives have?

Posted by: bgreen2224 | November 25, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Lou right wing damage control Dobbs as president? Never heard him state the truth about the republican party without smearing a democrat in the process. In his fantasy the world is all right wing independents. Although he might stand a better chance than Glen blowhard Beck he would do better to join Fox and let his real opinion come out. Right wing partisan hack.

Posted by: kimkimminni1 | November 25, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Oh and as for the quote on extremists I raise you one by RFK: "What is objectionable, what is dangerous about extremists, is not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say about their cause, but what they say about their opponents."

Posted by: ozpunk | November 24, 2009 2:37 PM
________________________________________

By that measure, most people are extremists. On both sides, but in these comments, particularly on the left. Look at the vitriol directed at posters from the right. They respond in kind, and are no better.

Non-partisanship led to civil rights and winning two world wars. That is gone today. Now the attitude is "it's your problem". Health care isn't a national problem, it's the Dems' problem, it's Obama's problem. Republicans oppose, for political profit. But if they get that profit and somehow regain power, the Dems will do the same on GOP proposals. I think the country is now ungovernable. There's virtually enough people on either side to block change sought by the other side, and the masses are so gullible that they can be rallied to oppose any issue at any given point in time.

Posted by: gbooksdc | November 25, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I wish Lou Dobbs well, but I can't imagine people voting for him for President. That whole "President Obama isn't a US citizen--it's a certificate of live birth not a birth certificate" thing pretty much ruined his credibility on any topic.

Posted by: sam38 | November 25, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Without CNN, who is Lou Dobbs ... nobody !! The Republican party is colorful, look at all the clowns it has ... We'll all be dead and buried before the next Republican stumbles into the White House as President

Posted by: wasaUFO | November 24, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Before Dobbs developed his brain tumor which changed his personality he was a respected financial journalist.

Dobbs is not a racist because he married a Mexican woman. That may on the face of it seem reasonable. I knew an anti-semite who married a Jew and he saw no contradiction, his wife was the exception that proved the rule.

I think that Dobbs is an egotistical amoral guy who in all likelihood says things to build his celebrity. Just the kind of guy that Jeff (formerly JakeD until he changed his moniker) would be attracted to as long as he to is a misogynist.

Posted by: Gator-ron | November 24, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

If Dobbs is elected president, I give up. I will resign from any sense of civic responsibility and just live the rest of my life letting the idiots reign. I'll just get off the grid, get my medical pot card and vegetate.

But for now, Lou, the problem is NOT immigration, although I'll agree that we have WAY too many people. The problem is over-production. When my wife and I married 43 years ago, Zero Population Growth was a movement that was much discussed, and there was a lot of talk about how overpopulation would cause serious problems. Today, EVERY SINGLE problem we have is due to too many people. Estimates are that there are 11 million or so illegals. But since 1966, when I got married, the US population has increased by 100 MILLION. That's not due to immigration. It's due to people spawning too many needless and useless whelps.

While I don't like to seem like the "get off my lawn" type, it is true that young people, especially mothers, seem to think that the little brats they evacuate are something special. They're not. Most are remarkably inferior, and at best, it's just a biological function.

I probably can't convince many to spay and neuter, but at least I wish people would use birth control. I say let's have more immigrants, and fewer useless natives. Think about this the next time some idiot on a cell phone cuts you off in traffic.

Posted by: terryhill46 | November 24, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Not only is CNN losing viewers, but the Washington Post has announced layoffs and will close all its national bureaus:

Couldn't happen to a nicer paper.

R.I.P. Nixon

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, anagitator.

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

I voted for Obama. If Dobbs runs in 2012 I'll vote for him. Many Americans are grasping for honest politicians that will look out for middle Americans instead of illegals, the CEOs and boardrooms, Wall Street and war profiteers.

Ron Paul offered some of that. McCain offered none. Obama offered a possibility of change, then filled up his cabinet and czars with Goldman Sachs.

Posted by: anagitator | November 24, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

I like Dobbs.

He opposes illegal immigration

Overpaid CEOs

The North American Union and highway

The merger of USA Mexico and Canada.

USA imperialism that spreads our bases and troops all over the globe, when we can't run our own country without massive indebtedness. Remove our troops from Iraq and Afghanistan now.

Establish tariffs that punish all corporations that outsource jobs.

Posted by: anagitator | November 24, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

I guess Tom Tancredo can expect a call to be VP?

Posted by: Booyah5000 | November 24, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

What ! This TURKY run for a President ???
is all we need.

Posted by: marycopa | November 24, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

thomasmc1957 ...another illegal? God, you vermin come out of the woodwork when people try and discuss this country's not being able to afford the hordes that have been dumped on us. Look, illegal cost taxpayers something like $1.5 trillion dollars annuals. That is more than the Democrat's spent to buying Wall Street campaign contributions. That is double the cost of the Ponzi scheme they are running to reward segments of the health insurance industry they call "healthcare reform". That is twice as much as we spend in taxpayer dollars to prop up the H1-B and L-1 visa programs. We could build prison camps to house you and round up every illegal in he country now, build an electronically monitored border and station troops on it, for less than 1/20th of that. And, least you blather otherwise, I am a Democrat; a liberal, too. A pro choice, pro- Gay marriage liberal. And, like most of my kind, we are sick to death of illegals and legal guest workers taking jobs that ought to go to U.S. citizens. We are sick of your depressing wages and benefits. We want you simply GONE, out of the country. It isn't racism nor a lack of human kindness. We simply reserve those feelings for our fellow American's first and foremost.

Posted by: mibrooks27 | November 24, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

If he wins the nomination, the Party will have to change its moniker from GOP to KKK.

Posted by: thomasmc1957 | November 24, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

NO NO NO ! ! ! no more CLAWNS Please ! !

Posted by: marycopa | November 24, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

As I thought, the illegal apologists are out in force. They, of course, claim that putting American citizens first for jobs, having something like national sovereignty is "racist". How original! This collection of twits and illegals already here fail to recall that Obama RAN under a promise to NEVER have anything like an amnesty, promised to close down the border. He also promised to reopen NAFTA, all trade agreements, to make sure they didn't result in outsourced jobs or guest workers displacing U.S. citizens. He got elected and has promptly reneged on those promises. Actually, both parties ran on similar sorts of promises and have gone back on them. The only choice we have, especially the choice to be rid of the yammering clown apologizing for the illegals and their annual $1.5 trillion expenses, is to elect Lou Dobbs! We need to emulate Denmark and Sweden. Universal, single payer, health insurance, prison camps for illegals and aggressive programs to round them up, with troops stationed on the border to prevent new ones from entering, amending the 14th Amendment to ensure that illegals don't dump their anchor babies here.

Posted by: mibrooks27 | November 24, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

And if you think Dobbs is the second coming of Hitler, you really need to read up more on Hitler. Hitler's hate of the Jews was trumped up out of whole cloth. The jobs beling lost to illegals and the social costs of their being here are demonstrably real -- that's why he had an audience. The security threat posed by our unguarded borders are real. Is there an element of racism to hating on illegals? Absolutely. But that doesn't make the jobs lost and social costs incurred any less real.

I must say, though, that Dobbs running is like Man of the People come to life. Except not as funny.

Posted by: gbooksdc | November 24, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Dobbs would need to run in the GOP. I think he'd be a better candidate than anyone other than Haley Barbour (who, I think will be the nominee). There is a deep well of resentment over illegals and Dobbs can touch on that. Worst thing about him is, he threw in with the birthers, and they're wingnuts. You can't run for President and question if the President is a native born American.

Posted by: gbooksdc | November 24, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

cant be much worse then what we have now

Posted by: getsix1 | November 24, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

the liberals all cry about the birthers as i recall from 9/11 on every blog from the same group of liberals were writing 1000 word essays on bushes plot causing 9/11 remote controlled jet liners and rigging explosives to trying to imply the steal does not melt talk about wackos

Posted by: getsix1 | November 24, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

kevnet:

Be sure to file all of the appropriate paperwork too.

B2O2:

I doubt that the Republicans would nominate him for President.

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I'd vote for Lou Rawls before I'd vote for Lou Dobbs. Wait a minute, I just remembered Lou Rawls is dead, in that case, I'd vote for vacuum cleaner over Lou Dobbs because they both suck.

Posted by: hillro52 | November 24, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Another loudmouth jackazz joins the fray.

Posted by: adrienne_najjar | November 24, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

it'll be lou dobbs for president and rush limbaugh as his running mate. two egoistical s.o.b.s

Posted by: dibick99 | November 24, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Operation: CLEAN SLATE
Objective: 1.To throw out every incumbent (Republican and Democrat) in the 2010 election cycle.
Objective: 2.To continues to toss every incumbent out every election cycle until they realize that they represent "We the people" not the lobbyist throwing out the most cash.
Objective: 3. To repeal Nafta
Objective: 4. To restore sanity to our immigration nightmare
Objective: 5. To impose tariffs on countries that cheat the system by artificially holding down the value of their currency (china)
Objective: 6. bring before the courts any American citizen who knowingly sold out their allegiance to the American people for money from a foreign government.
Objective: 7. Bring before the courts any American politician who sold his allegiance to the American people by accepting money from lobbyist and then going against the wishes of his constituency and voting in favor of his lobbyist companies.
Objective: 9. Term Limits of no longer than 2 terms

Both sides republician and democrat will tell you that illegal immigration is not the problem. And that is a lie The Democrats see the Illegals as future votes and the Republicians want them to destroy wage increases. Both are the enemy of the citizens of this country.

Posted by: scon101 | November 24, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

"truth"1:

I doubt that Lou Dobbs is a racist. Also, when did CNN get rid of Glenn Beck?

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

This just in:

I am running for President. I hereby declare my candidacy for President of the United States for 2012.

If Lou Dobbs can make the WaPo with this sort of news, why not anybody?

Posted by: kevnet | November 24, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I would recommend he pick Paris Hilton as his running mate. She has experience.

Posted by: James10 | November 24, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Most dishonest journalist in America over the past decade. I guess that makes him perfect for the GOP ticket.

Posted by: B2O2 | November 24, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

At first I though Dobbs was a serious newsman. But now I see him as just another racist. CNN did the right thing in getting rid of him and Beck.

Posted by: truth1 | November 24, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Absolute_0-K:

"Chuckles...I'd vote for Lou Grant from the Mary Tyler Moore Show before I'd vote for Lou Dobbs."
________________________________________

That's pretty interesting, because I voted for Mickey Mouse rather than for a community organizer...

Posted by: wearedoomed1 | November 24, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

These comments blogs are funny. I mean - the comments are funny. People on both sides of the aisle repeating the same stump / party lines to each other. I wonder though, if the party choice really comes down to two choices - meaning we don't have a middle anymore:

1) The Republican Nation State that believes corporations rule all. The same corporations that many of us work for by the way. Corporations will regulate themselves and can do whatever they want without recourse. The banks ruled with this format.

2) The Democratic Socialist Nation State that believes in less corporate control and more people control. Regulations will cure all ills and individual powers still matter - as long as they fit within the is it best for all motto.

So - which do you choose? Which are you better off under? Isn't there a place in the middle?

Posted by: ATL_Pilot_1 | November 24, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

May not be such a far fetched idea!!

Plus, Dems and GOP have not done much over the years and every election they all want to claim to be big CHANGE AGENT or "agents who will change all ills" has proven to be false.

Posted by: 68b2b | November 24, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to understand why genuine Democrat's wouldn't be all for Dobbs. He would end outsourcing and end guest worker visas. He is or a genuine universal healthcare system, modeled on the one in Denmark. He is opposed to the war in Iraq and Afghanistan and would remove our troops immediately. These are all things our party promised during the election and reneged on the second they were elected. He is opposed to gun control, something half of all Democrat's agree with him on, He is opposed to amnesty and illegal immigrants, another something that 2/3 off Democrat's agree with him on. So what's the problem? I think that the posters disparaging Dobbs are nut cases from the Brady Bunch or apologists for the hispanics and not Democrat's at all. Lou Dobbs stands for the actual mainstream of thought for most Democrat's, most American's, actually, conservatives and liberals. You would be hard pressed to come up with a reason not to support his candidacy.

Posted by: mibrooks27 | November 24, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

montana123:

If Arnold Schwarzenegger had a Hawaiian SHORT FORM birth certificate, that would be OK with you? Regardless, I think that Obama has ALREADY done more damage to America in less than one year than Bush did in eight. We'll simply have to agree to disagree on that part.

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Ahhhh, HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! Ahh, Ohhh, Oooooo. Thanks for the laugh Lou!

Posted by: paul6554 | November 24, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Why not. After Pat Paulsen ran a number of times. There is always room for another comedian.

Posted by: Jhale1 | November 24, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ozpunk | November 24, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

mibrooks27 wrote: "I'm a Democrat, but I'd vote for Dobbs ahead of any of my party's leaders."
**************************

So what? Isn't Dobbs a democrat as well?

Posted by: BenLaGuer | November 24, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Dobbs is not evangelical enough to run as a Republican, he would make a great 3rd party independent candidate though and may even splinter the Republican vote much like Nader did to the Dems.

Posted by: ozpunk | November 24, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Absolute_0-K | November 24, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

JakeD:

C'mon, dude. You're smarter than that...

At least I think you are anyway.
BTW, don't tell me you're one of those looney Sarah Palin birther types! How many times do you got to see a Obama's birth certificate!!!

F'k, man!!!

Even if Obama weren't a U.S. citizen (total BS anyway) how much more damage could he do to our country than that dumb f'k $h1t for brains from Crawford, Texas???

Geezus H friggin' christ, man! You right wing goof balls need some serious counseling bro!

Posted by: montana123 | November 24, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Did Huffington Post or Democratic Underground link to this thread, or something? We are getting lots of noise ...

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

My other questions from earlier in the thread:

1) Would Dobbs even run as a Republican?

2) Regardless, would YOU vote Lou Dobbs for President of the United States?

3) Do you believe that a President Dobbs would "literally" lock up every Latino voter, including but not limited to his own wife (born in Mexico and LEGALLY immigrated to the U.S. who is now an American citizen) and his FOUR KIDS?

4) Are you even aware that Lou Dobbs is pro-choice AND pro-gay marriage?!

5) Do you agree or disagree with Martin Luther King, Jr. "The question is not whether we will be extremists, but what kind of extremists we will be ... The nation and the world are in dire need of creative extremists"?

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Palin for President? Dobbs for President? God save us all. I say - Jon Stewart, by a long sea mile.

Posted by: GeorgenotWinTexas | November 24, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

TomCadorette:

If you don't want to answer simple questions, that's fine with me (one last time).

Was George Washington a "nativist"?

Are Harvard grads at the top of their class "ignorant"?

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

The Onion has a fununy story about Dobbs getting arrested and deported after being outed as an illegal. Hysterical. But not as funny as him running for office -- any office.

Posted by: John1263 | November 24, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

And once again, JakeD brings nothing but irrelevance and ignorance to the debate. Must be a Dobbs man, for sure.

Maybe Glenn Beck for VP, to pull in the Becktard demographic as well? JakeD will undoubtedly approve.

Posted by: TomCadorette | November 24, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

How about Pat Robertson's puppet, Bob McDonnell, for Dobb's veep?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Is that kinda like the Reverend Wright puppet we now have as POTUS?

Posted by: bnw173 | November 24, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Delusions of Grandeur!

Posted by: CathyDawkins | November 24, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

HillRat:

I doubt that the GOP nominates him.

montana123:

Too bad Obama was NOT good to go on both counts.

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

Posted by: oracle2world | November 24, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

The Beltway elites - and their little helpers including some of those below - hate Dobbs because he'd cut into their quest to profit (in various ways) from illegal activity. Meanwhile, his position on imm. is one held by about 75% of Americans.Posted by: LonewackoDotCom
*********************

Uh-huh. Maybe he could get some campaign tips from Tom Tancredo. That platform worked great for Tom, though I admit: Lou's artificial chompers look lots better. Should be very appealing to the Fixodent crowd.

Posted by: abqcleve | November 24, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Dobbs has about as much a chance as Palin has or I have!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bush got elected twice and Obama once. Seems to me anyone has a chance if those two clowns can get elected. Damn one's claim to fame as a community organizer and the others a guy to have a beer with. Damn. Talk about low expectations.

Posted by: bnw173 | November 24, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

TomCadorette:

Was George Washington a "nativist"? CHECK. Are Harvard grads at the top of their class "ignorant" (oh, wait, there was that Obama guy)? CHECK.

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Democrat, but I'd vote for Dobbs ahead of any of my party's leaders. The #1 issue is ending outsourcing, ending guest worker visas like the H1-B and L-1 visas. The fools in Washington don't begin to understand the angst and anger, the outright *fury*, of the vast majority of voters about this. We are reminded of it every time some twit says Obama has only been in office for ten months and they are answered "during that time more than 3 million more jobs were outsourced"; reminded that Obama bailout out six Wall Street banks and allowed them to lay off their entire US IT staff, issued them 50,000 "emergency" H1-B visas and they promptly replaced those American workers, fully qualified American workers, with imported Indian "guest workers". Obama, the Democratic Party leadership, has deserted us. It's time to support someone else, someone who actually listens to us. Lou Dobbs for President and like minded people for Congress and the Senate.

Posted by: mibrooks27

-------------------------------------------

On the outsourcing and Illegal Immigration issues Dobbs does bring a lot to the table. We'll never stop the bleeding if we continue to actually have incentives for companies to abandon American workers. No other country on the planet has a government that is so absolutely callous about their own citizens.

Posted by: theobserver4 | November 24, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

The 21st century version of the Luddite Party is ready to make its move. Oh yeah!

Posted by: HillRat | November 24, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I guess now Dobbs is becomming a comedian

Posted by: peterdc | November 24, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Ha-ha-ha-ha!
Now every dummy thinks he, or she, is electable to the highest office in the land.
Man, that Texas Retard really screwed everybody into thinking that any idiot can be elected. Next thing you know, Psycho Von Limbaugh,ill O'Dummy, or Insanity may want a shot at it...even Glenn Flake will try.

Posted by: analyst72 | November 24, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Awesome and why the f'k not! Go for it bro and good luck! According to the Constitution the only requirements for becoming president is U.S. citizenship and being age 35!

Dobbs is good to go on both counts.

Posted by: montana123 | November 24, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

jameschirico:

His employer "read him the riot act" and then paid him $8 MILLION?! LOL!!! All of CNN's ratings are down, not just his program. BTW: Obama has not PROVEN he was born in Hawaii.

As for the rest of your post, including your "immigration" rant -- please see my questions # 1) through 4) below.

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I wish he would run as an Independent and find him a good running mate. It is time the Independents had a nominee instead of swinging back and forth between a right wing or left wing nut nominee.

We can't keep the right wingers and left wingers from nominating their own. It is time we organized and supported an Independent from the get go.

Posted by: bnw173 | November 24, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

ROTFLMAO!

Posted by: ceefer66 | November 24, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm. Nativist? Check. Ignorant? Check. Lou Dobbs in 2012: the Know-Nothing Party is BACK!

Posted by: TomCadorette | November 24, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

...Dobbs has about as much a chance as Palin has or I have!

..."Good Luck, to both of them, I guess it's time the Republicans got their boy in South Carlina, to run too, what a joke these people aren't worth the space or time this article spends on them, neither is the Republican party who has fact, "RUINED THE UNITED STATES economy and image around the world/fact.

Be sure now you run and vote Republican again...

...."APPRECIATE IT!

Posted by: ztcb41 | November 24, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

How about Pat Robertson's puppet, Bob McDonnell, for Dobb's veep?

Posted by: hodgensrn | November 24, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Have you seen Lou Dobb's petition to bring all the troops home?

"For the sake of our men and women in uniform who deserve far better leadership than they are receiving from their general staff, please bring them home. It is time to call a halt to the nonsense, bring home our troops, and not just from Iraq and Afghanistan, but the 60,000 troops in Germany, 37,000 in South Korea, 10,000 in Japan, 10,000 troops in Italy."

Posted by: win_harrington | November 24, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

mibrooks27:

Thanks!

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Obama accused Dobbs of having a stronger anti-immigration view than he does and he is still waiting for an apology. That said he went from objective reporter, to an anti-Obama schill like you see on Fox News. His employers read him the riot act, straighten out or else and he chose else. Tea party activists having an untruthful position got voice with his show. Birthers, proven wrong still got play due to his anti-Obama agenda. His mainly pushing the immigration issue, lost market share much like Giulani being a one issue (911) candidate knocking himself out of the box.

Posted by: jameschirico | November 24, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mibrooks27 | November 24, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

What an ego. A narcissist first class. What a circus that's developing.

Posted by: jckdoors | November 24, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Will Palin and Dobbs run as the alternative Right Wing ticket?

With only 17% of the electorate identifying them selves as Republican has the GOP got any future?

Is it the America hating Limbaugh sycophants that is driving Conservatives away from the Republican party?

With conservatives being prevented from running as candidates by the America hating Limbaugh sycophants and other extremists under the NeoConMen who have seized control of the GOP; can indipendents be conned into voting for the NeoConMen again?

With many conservaties no longer able to define them self as Republicans and maybe looking to payback a party that has ditched conservative values; will NeoConMen any attempts to get out the vote backfire?

With GOP support already dropping to 17% and new "Conservative" Parties springing up across the nation could GOP support reach single figures?

Has Palin driven the wooden stake through the heart of the GOP; then nailed the coffin shut?

Are these GOP Senators and Representatives about to become an extinct species?

Posted by: walker1 | November 24, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

What an ego. A narcissist first class. What a circus that's developing.

Posted by: jckdoors | November 24, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Posted by: gwbush2323 | November 24, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Dobbs-Palin; Palin-Dobbs; Palin-Bachmann; Bachmann-Palin; Bachmann-Dobbs; Dobbs-Bachmann: Any of these tickets is a sure-fire winner among the shrinking, ignorant, Know-Knowings of America.

Posted by: jimsteinberg1 | November 24, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jimsteinberg1 | November 24, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad he's considering a run. He could use a vicious lesson in humility. Dobbs would get TROUNCED by every one and any one of the already established candidates from either party. His only hope is for Ross Perot-style 20% independent mental-case vote. That would benefit the Democrats, because these mental cases are historically gonna vote for a Republican anyway. Therefore, Lou would dilute the power/impact of the conservative vote. So RUN, LOU, RUN!!!

Posted by: seve2yoo | November 24, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

PALIN/DOBBS 2012....I think thats the only ticket Obama can beat at this point

Posted by: reddy531 | November 24, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Dear Jesus,

Please rise up Dobbs and Palin as the GOP's candidates in 2012. The right-wing Huckabee GOP needs another good thrashing like a year ago to maybe finally realize Americans will no longer accept their hateful, exclusionary intolerance of gays and those of Latino heritage.

Amen

Posted by: coloradodog | November 24, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Campaign kick-ff at...The Dobbs House restaurant!

Any relation?

Posted by: Garak | November 24, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Jake.
Although have my moments as you can see am never reluctant to express my views.
But, also have respect for others.

Posted by: kathlenec | November 24, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

No worries, kathelnec (I'm 75 years old myself ; )

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

America deserves Lou Dobbs! We deserve Sarah Palin too - just like we got what we deserved with W.

Posted by: dholstrom | November 24, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Wow, sure left myself wide open with that statement, didn't I.

Posted by: kathlenec | November 24, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

lookbehindtheheadlines wrote at 10:50am

"gub shots"

That's lifted from the old Woody Allen movie, "Take the Money and Run," right? He was an incompetent bank robber.

Dobbs 'gub shot' sounded a lot like the annual hail of birdshot we'd get at my parents' suburban tract house adjacent to a rural farm. "Hunters" looking for pheasant in the nearby woods had a habit of shooting wildly. I don't recall my WWII vet dad claiming someone from work was out to get him, but neighbers were certain some damn West Virginians were trying to run 'shine across the border again.

Posted by: boscobobb | November 24, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Whoops, sorry Jake.
A senior moment.

Posted by: kathlenec | November 24, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

You mean "Jake"?

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Well, Jeff, as you said we will agree to disagree.
A man of his substance is most certainly not what our country needs. At times he is as bad as Palin. And that most certainly is not a compliment.
He has some good points but not nearly enough to think he is capable of running our country. And, once again, we do not need haters, fear mongers, disruptive people as leaders.

Posted by: kathlenec | November 24, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

His "anti-immigrant" stance like marrying a Mexican-born woman -- who LEGALLY immigrated and became a U.S. citizen -- and fathering FOUR Hispanic children?

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

glen bucks as sect of state -- because , sob sob, he just, sob, loves this country, sob sob, soooo muchhhhhh..

Boy your rightards sure are delusional.

Posted by: John1263 | November 24, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Well, although Dobbs has always pushed being an independent, his attacks on our president fit right in with the radicals.
And, his anti-immigrant stance will certainly cost him many votes.
I used to watch Dobbs a few years ago and
liked him but then he started going way overboard. To the "destructive" extreme.
The facts that is pro choice and supports gays is a plus, but that does not make a president. Our country is filled with hate, anger, division and we most certainly do not need or want a leader for our country that represents this.

Posted by: kathlenec | November 24, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't vote dobbs for school board. His xenophobia and continual disregard for the fact based world defy description. I am surprised that he is not on staff yet over at fux the news.

He and palin should eam up. It would be good for America to make it absolutely certain that we have the full 8 years of President Obama's talent, skills, and wisdom to undo the mess the republicon party and the cult of st. reagan have done, and to set us moving forward into the rest of the 21st century.

Posted by: John1263 | November 24, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

This is the modern version of leading with your chin, to be named "leading with your ego."

Three thoughts:
1) Are you sure Jon Stewart didn't ask that question?

2) Dobbs calculated that if Palin can make $300K per speech as a presidential aspirant, so could he. And the hours are a lot shorter than daily radio and TV broadcasts.

3) Fred Thompson generated how many primary votes?

Posted by: boscobobb | November 24, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

At least no one has fired a rifle at the White House or Michelle Obama.

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

kathlenec:

We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Here are my questions again:

1) Would Dobbs even run as a Republican?

2) Regardless, would YOU vote Lou Dobbs for President of the United States?

4) Are you even aware that Lou Dobbs is pro-choice AND pro-gay marriage?!

5) Do you agree or disagree with Martin Luther King, Jr. "The question is not whether we will be extremists, but what kind of extremists we will be ... The nation and the world are in dire need of creative extremists."

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Well, I do not consider politicians or those with ambitions goals of destroying our country, party first, win at any cost, selling the American people out to big business creative. A party with no acceptable, workable ideas of their own resorting to total hypocrasy, lies, distortions, fear mongering. A party who victimized the American People with numerous crises due to their irresponsible leadership as being creative.
A party, again, of extremists, which Dobbs is guilty of, are of party of destruction, certainly not creativity.

Posted by: kathlenec | November 24, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

ha ha, mwentzel. Now that you've made your derogatory joke, care to answer any of my substantive questions on the topic?

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised Lou Dobbs would run for office. I assumed he only would accept being king.

Posted by: mwentzel | November 24, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

kase:

God willing, he won't be much longer.

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

PassingShot1:

Would Dobbs even run as a Republican?

quinn8:

You mean he is going to "literally" lock up his own wife (born in Mexico and LEGALLY immigrated to the U.S. who is an American citizen) and FOUR KIDS?

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Jake-
Because we will be in power for a long while...

Posted by: kase | November 24, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

kathlenec:

Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

kase:

And you Obama supporters should hang onto your hammers and sickles.

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

So~
All you McCain supporters should hang on to your robes and hoods...
You may need them yet...

Posted by: kase | November 24, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

onestring and bobsewell:

Just because you don't remember Lou Dobbs doesn't prove a thing. He graduated from HARVARD UNIVERSITY with a degree in Economics. Dobbs joined CNN when it launched in 1980, serving as its chief economics correspondent and as host of their business news program "Moneyline". Dobbs also served as a corporate executive for CNN, as its executive vice president and as a member of CNN's executive committee. He founded CNN fn (CNN financial news), serving as its president and anchoring the program "Business Unusual", which examined business creativity and leadership. He's more than qualified to be President (at least he was born in the U.S. ; )

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

So~
All you McCain supporters should hang on to your robes and hoods...
You may need them yet...

Posted by: kase | November 24, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Just what our country needs. Another radical extremist running for office.
Have never seen mentioned the thousands of petitions sent to CNN demanding Dobbs resignation, shortly before his departure.
We do not need the negativity, fear mongering, distortions this man represents.
Thought by now he would have a job at Fox as he fits right in with the hate mongers.

Posted by: kathlenec | November 24, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

GOP grasping for straws when they promote Dobbs and Palin to the forefront.

Posted by: PassingShot1 | November 24, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Well, he'll have the Latino vote locked up.

And I mean literally, locked up - if he wins.

Posted by: quinn8 | November 24, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Of course, Sarah Palin appears well on her way to becoming a million-selling author herself. Will Dobbs run as a Republican?

"Going Rogue" sold 700,000 copies — a number that includes pre-orders — in its first week of release, according to a publishing official close to the former Alaska governor. The official was not authorized to release the sales figure and asked not to be identified.

Palin's memoir came out Nov. 17 with a first printing of 1.5 million copies. On Friday, publisher HarperCollins announced that the printing would be increased to 2.5 million.

Few nonfiction books have debuted so well. In 2004, Bill Clinton's "My Life" sold more than 900,000 copies in its first week.

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I would vote Lou Dobbs for President of the United States.

Posted by: JakeD | November 24, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

this rancid old fool should first educate himself. get his facts straight. and then do nothing. there are other well meaning capable rational individuals who can run our country. we don't need idiots.

Posted by: cave_man | November 24, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

RUN LOU RUN!!!

Americans need the MSM to identify who is failed and ignorant, and stop covering their ideas with veracity.

Since your fear, hate, and ignorance lead the pack along with your associates Palin, Gingrich, Limbaugh, Beck and Cheney YOUR candidacy will be a bellweather for the MSM to follow as the last century's ideas and failures need to be placed at the doorstep of those who still promote them today.

Also, you are the standard bearer for Baby Boomers who need to retire from the scene and let their failed self-serving ideas go to the dustbin.

YOU'RE THE PERFECT CANDIDATE FOR FIXING AMERICA BECAUSE WE CAN REJECT YOU OUT OF HAND AND YOU REPRESENT EVERYTHING FAILED!

THANKS!!!

Posted by: onestring | November 24, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

RUN LOU RUN!!!

Since your fear, hate, and ignorance lead the pack along with your associates Palin, Gingrich, Limbaugh, Beck and Cheney YOUR candidacy will be a bellweather for the MSM to follow as the l;ast centuries ideas and failures need to be placed at the doorstep of those who still promote them today.

Also, you arre the standard bearer for Baby Boomers who need to retire from the scene and let their failed self-serving ideas go to the dustbin.

THANKS!!!

Posted by: onestring | November 24, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

To many people, Dobbs running for President seems no more ridiculous as Obama running for President. Obama had no
experience to speak of, except community organizing and could give a decent speech.
I never even appreciate his speeches after hearing them for a couple months (they were repetitive...hope and change, change and hope, hope and change.....

Posted by: ohioan | November 24, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I can hear Germany in the 1930's again...
Be aware people, the US doesn't need another Adolf Hitler. This man is a hateful person!I really hope that you will not fall for this inhuman man like the Germans did with the Neo-Nazis.

Posted by: oguz1 | November 24, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

How about a Palin-Dobb ticket with Glenn Beck as Secretary of State?

Posted by: skcushsub04 | November 24, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

do we really need another rip and read president?

Posted by: iquitos | November 24, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

rkerg - Good point! I don't remember Lou Dobbs being around when I was a kid, and my parents (both of whom are a little older than Dobbs) don't remember him either. It's like he just appeared out of nowhere, from another country.

Posted by: bobsewell | November 24, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

While the Dems and the GOP support policies that hurt U.S. workers by giving them lower-wage competition, Dobbs' imm. policies would help hundreds of thousands or millions of Americans get jobs. Doing that would cost the elites money and power, and that's why you see an endless line of hacks lying and smearing him:

Posted by: LonewackoDotCom | November 24, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

So, Lou might run in 2012. He better hope name recognition counts for something, because 2012 is probably also the number of people who are going to be in the race.

Posted by: EnemyOfTheState | November 24, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I hope that's true and please, please, please run as a Republican.

Posted by: skcushsub04 | November 24, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Great news. I want to see Dobbs and as many independents such as Nader in the race as possible. I like an interesting race, if only for entertainment purposes.

Posted by: RealTexan1 | November 24, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Is Dobbs really an American citizen? Can he prove that his birth certificate isn't a forgery? Can he produce any witnesses to his birth that can vouch for him actually being born in the US?

Posted by: rkerg | November 24, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

If ever there was any doubt that this man is a complete looney toon, his belief that he should even consider running for president confirms it. He's certifiably insane.

Posted by: PepperDr | November 24, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Are we that bad off that we have to even consider somebody like Dobbs for president?I am not happy with any of our politicians, but one would think that we could do better than we have in the past 30 years.

Money runs the country and anything is possible with enough of it, but I don`t see Dobbs or Palin in the White House.

It just seems to me that the presidency has become a joke.

Posted by: Aircommando | November 24, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Not clear to me he'd run in the GOP - I think he's most plausible as an independent

Posted by: hardycallcott | November 24, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I think Dobbs and Palin will prove an unbeatable combination in 2012! They will take every county in West Virginia without heat or electricity. You betcha!

Posted by: mitt1968 | November 24, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mitt1968 | November 24, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I hope that Dobbs does run.

His campaign would only be slightly more competent than Palin's but he is not pretty.

So, they, and probably Glenn-boy, will round out (pun intended) a Republican candidate field, that no matter who else enters, will do only one thing - guarantee a Democratic victory in 2012.

And, BTW, I am NOT a Democrat, but a registered Independent.

Posted by: swanieaz | November 24, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

First he's going to have to run over Sarah. That'll be fun to watch -- you betcha!

Posted by: fmjk | November 24, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Lou Dobbs will make a gaffe that will make Howard Dean's "YEAGH!" look like the Vienna Boys' Choir.

Posted by: bs2004 | November 24, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Megolomaniac moron.

Posted by: jbkulp | November 24, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

A myth in his own mind.

Posted by: frodot | November 24, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

THIS JUST IN... NEW VIDEO... LOU DOBBS' CAMPAIGN SONG:

Posted by: scrivener50 | November 24, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Lou Dobbs is a dangerous demagogue and his ego isn't the only thing to be afraid of... As demonstrated by his behaviour and rhetoric on CNN.

people take gubs shots at him because of it.

Dobbs also has the financial backing of major right wing corporations and their politicos to make it possible for him to make a national run successful.

Republicans are also looking for a candidate that re-energize the base, and Dobbs has the ability rhetorically and intellectually to do this. he is NOT a uneducated dolt like Palin.

We have a very serious political situation brewing in this country. We better remember the hostory of pre-Hitler Germany. Because Lou Dobbs and people of his ilk and temperment... are facist thugs, and would do everything in their power to have the "corporate nation state" finally take over this country even further.

They were successful with 2 Bush terms by 1st stealing the election from Gore, and 2nd time the Democrats had the weak and ineffective Kerry/Leiberman fiasco.

Dobbs et al want Obama's type of Democracy... where the Constitution, Bill of Rights are celebrated and the rich and powerful are controlled... dead and gone.

Posted by: lookbehindtheheadlines | November 24, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I heard the interview on WTOP, and I was struck by what a good job the morning anchors did! 90% of the time, they get to do "rip and read", nothing more, but I thought they did a really good job getting info out of Dobbs. (And I'm not related to either of 'em, just a regular listener.)

Posted by: Dan4 | November 24, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Is this designed to make a Palin presidential run plausible? Because compared to Dobbs, Palin is the very picture of intellectual heft and gravitas.

Posted by: mayoungkin | November 24, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

He's probably promoting running for president to promote a new book at the expense of his immigrant-hating sheep.

Posted by: squatty418 | November 24, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Great! Another Republican popularity / media figure. First Thompson, then Palin, and now Dobbs. Hmmm, who's next?

Posted by: ATL_Pilot_1 | November 24, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Well, he's certainly got the ego for it...

Posted by: bcamarda2 | November 24, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse