Biden on the party crashers

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Interviewed on NBC's "Today" show, Vice President Biden said he did not recall meeting uninvited White House state dinner attendees Tareq and Michaele Salahi until he saw the pictures of himself posing with them. "I just assumed they were part of the social fabric of Washington but I didn't know who they were until I saw them on television," he told host Meredith Vieira.

"I haven't paid much attention," he said on the question of whether they might face charges for their caper. "As that old joke goes," he said, "that's above my pay grade."

Biden pronounced himself "completely satisfied" with the Secret Service, which has admitted to not following protocol in allowing the Salahi's entrance to the White House. "They do a great job protecting me and my family," he said.

Biden also appeared on CBS' "The Early Show," where he observed that the couple "acted like they were my old buddies."

"I was surprised when I turned on the television and find out they were apparently gate-crashers," he said.

By Garance Franke-Ruta  |  December 2, 2009; 11:59 AM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Timeline: The War in Afghanistan
Next: Huckabee PAC coordinator resigns in wake of controversy

Comments

JakeD- (1) It was obvious you were refering to HER. I was purposel interpreting it that way to use your own words against you the same twisted way you do so often against others. How do you like that Jakey? (2) The point you failed to prove is that Sarah Palin is a credible figure (3) Why is it that there are ALWAYS numerous posts AGAINST you, calling you stupid or a jerk? Not my words. Hmmmmm....

Posted by: gregp1 | December 4, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

My point was that "the repeated ridicule OF HER that fuels my support for her." I'm not sure how many more posts could "prove" that point. If anyone else wants to discuss that -- or the thread topic -- without resorting to ad hominem personal attacks, please let me know.

Posted by: JakeD | December 4, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

JakeD - You have again failed to prove your point. Thanks again for driving more people to the left.

Posted by: gregp1 | December 3, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I already know that I am a fun guy. If anyone else wants to argue whether 23 frivolous (and eventually dismissed) ethics complaints -- costing her close to $500,000 -- make her a "victim" or not, please let me know.

Posted by: JakeD | December 3, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

JakeD - you said "It's the repeated ridicule OF HER that fuels my support for her." So you buy into her disingenious claim to be a victim? That makes you a puppet of her phony propoganda. Maybe you just identify with her "victimhood" as your own. Victim = martyr = muslim. You are a muslim!?

If you couldn't care less what I think of you, why do you respond? Thanks for taking the bait again. Like I said, you are an easy target and a really fun guy.

Posted by: gregp1 | December 3, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

It's the repeated ridicule OF HER that fuels my support for her. I couldn't care less what you think of me.

Posted by: JakeD | December 3, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

JakeD - Thank you for confirming my claim that you are being ridculed for your wingnut positions, just like Palin;

(in fact, it's the repeated ridicule that fuels my support for her ; )

YOU LIKE BEING RIDICULED AND I ENJOY DOING IT TO YOU BECAUSE YOU MAKE IT SO EASY.

Posted by: gregp1 | December 3, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

alaskan2:

I do love America (and the same things were said about Ronald Reagan before he was elected, twice). As for how Alaskans voted in Gov. Palin and she had the highest approval ratings of any U.S. Governor before McCain selected her, perhaps you moved to Alaska just recently?

gregp1:

You haven't "exposed" anything, and I didn't link to Ben Smith's article to imply his support (in fact, it's the repeated ridicule that fuels my support for her ; )

Posted by: JakeD | December 3, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

JakeD- I thought you claimed to love America. If you support that idiot for office than you really are trying to destroy America because that's what she would do if ever elected. We have enough smart people I don't think she could be, but I promise you, she is crazy. Alaskans are wondering why/how she ever got in office and are glad she left early.

Back on topic, that couple seems to be pretty good about inserting themselves where they want to be even without an invitation. But they seem to be making up some of their background- like no one who WAS a Redskins cheerleader can find where she ever was one even though she claims to have been one.

Posted by: alaskan2 | December 3, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

JakeD -

Why would you even want a reply from someone "SO misguided" in my "foolish support for Palin, etc."? ANSWER: BECAUSE YOU ARE SO ILLOGICAL ITS GREAT FUN EXPSOSE YOUR WEAKNESSES FROR ALL TO SEE.

For the record, I never said that Ben Smith shared my support of her running in 2012. ANSWER: BUT YOU DID POST A LINK TO HIS ARTICLE AS IF HE SUPPORTED YOU. THAT WAS A FOOLISH ASSUMPTION BASED UPON THE HEADLINES.

Posted by: gregp1 | December 3, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

gregp1:

Why would you even want a reply from someone "SO misguided" in my "foolish support for Palin, etc."? For the record, I never said that Ben Smith shared my support of her running in 2012.

Posted by: JakeD | December 3, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Boy, are we lucky we don't have Sarah Palin as our vice president!

SARCASM=OFF!

Posted by: Common_Cents1 | December 3, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

JakeD - YOU HAVE FAILED TO ACCOUNT FOR THIS BLUNDER BELOW. NO RETORT = LOST AGRUMENT...

NOW is the Time to STAND UP for our Nation!

Posted by: gregp1 | December 2, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

New thread, for those of you actually interested in the THREAD TOPIC:

Posted by: JakeD | December 2, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

"Removed" from reality, like say, WH Social Secretary Desiree "Brownie" Rogers ... you're doing a heck of a job!!!

Posted by: JakeD | December 2, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

JakeD - No. You are science fiction for being someone so removed from reality.

Posted by: gregp1 | December 2, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

JakeD - I checked your weblink in "support" of Palin. That post is AGAINST Palin, which proves that you DONT read or THINK, you just vent PHONY PROOF. Thanks again for proving yourself uncredible. To wit the following exerpts;

Sarah Palin fans, take heart... She is now forming a national organization called "Stand Up for Our Nation." Exactly what it's standing for is unclear. If not a chicken in every pot, maybe a heater in every igloo. A monogrammed puck for every hockey mom. Possibly, it'll start, "Give me your poor, your tired governors . . . " All that's known so far is, it's a Palinization of the political system. Her people will categorize it only as "to promote issues she's passionate about" -- other than how to do away with her unmarried daughter's babymaker, Levi Johnston.

Posted by: gregp1 | December 2, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

I am "science fiction" for simply referring to Section 4 of the 25th Amendment?!

Posted by: JakeD | December 2, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Scrivener50 - You are self absorbed in science fiction. Please go away.

jakeD - you ARE science fiction. Someone as seemingly literate as you are could not possibly be SO misguided! You are endlessly entertaining in your foolish support for Palin, etc.

Posted by: gregp1 | December 2, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Not the first time the Obama White House has had gatecrashers.
See:

Posted by: MikeLicht | December 2, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

I am NOT a Cheney, and I will have plenty of time to rest once I'm dead.

Posted by: JakeD | December 2, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Oh Jake, Jake, Jake .... Are you really a Cheney? Don't you ever give it a rest? Ho hum.

Posted by: patriciacaldwell | December 2, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Hardly surprising that Biden was clueless about what was happening. It's his normal state ever since FDR appeared on tv!

Posted by: AlibiFarmer | December 2, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

These individuals are regular gate-crashers at high-dollar, invitation-only events. They owe money to hair stylists, caterers, and other vendors across the region. They have misrepresented the truth when confronted, or blame others for any miscommunication that may have occurred. They claim their lives are ruined by the media attention.

They wanted to be "reality stars." I guess they got their wish.

Posted by: JugglingMom | December 2, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

It seems clear that a big part of what led the Salahis to crash the White House event is their thirst for fame. A remarkable on the need for fame has just been published by the University of Michigan Press. It is “Look at Me: The Fame Motive from Childhood to Death” by Dr. Orville Gilbert Brim. Check out the UMich podcast and click through to the book. http://www.press.umich.edu/podcasts/index.jsp

Posted by: rboyer1 | December 2, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | December 2, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm part of the "knowing" or "unknowing" campaign?

Posted by: JakeD | December 2, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

TO: JakeD @ 12:19 p.m.

VPOTUS could save the many thousands of victims of this covert nationwide multi-agency torture matrix because he was a prime backer of federally-funded community policing and watch programs...

...transmogrified by bureaucratic ideologues into a terroristic American Gestapo -- and from what I know of Joe Biden, he won't tolerate being "had," being used as an unwitting accomplice to human and civil rights violations.

This has nothing to do with your bankrupt campaign against President Obama, who in fact may be an unknowing victim of the program I have referenced (perhaps along with other high officials). Maybe you're part of it, too?

Posted by: scrivener50 | December 2, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Legally, ACTING President Biden could end these atrocities with his signature, along with the majority of the Cabinets' signatures:

Posted by: JakeD | December 2, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

URGENT TO VPOTUS (Jay Carney, pls. fwd.):

You could end these atrocities with one phone call. Pols may be among the targets (along with some of us journos).

OBAMA WRONG AT WEST POINT; U.S. DOES TORTURE -- ITS OWN CITIZENS

• Regional Homeland Security- administered fusion centers use a nationwide microwave/laser radiation "directed energy" weapons system to silently torture, impair unconstitutionally "targeted" Americans and their families -- an American genocide hiding in plain sight.

For the rest of the story:

http://nowpublic.com/world/obama-wrong-west-point-u-s-does-torture-its-own-citizens OR (if link is corrupted): http://NowPublic.com/scrivener re: "GESTAPO USA"

Posted by: scrivener50 | December 2, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse