Boehner offers to help Obama on Afghanistan

By Ben Pershing
One day after Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said she wouldn't help President Obama round up votes to support his troop surge in Afghanistan, an offer of assistance came forth from an unlikely source -- House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio).

"I think the president has made a responsible decision with regard to our plan to succeed in Afghanistan, and I will work to make sure that our troops get everything they need in order to succeed," Boehner said at his regular press briefing Thursday, after being asked about the Speaker's remarks.

Pelosi, who has expressed personal misgivings about the wisdom of sending more troops to Afghanistan, made clear Wednesday that many members of her caucus felt the same way about the war and that she had promised not to "ever ask them to vote for it" again. With a supplemental appropriation of at least $30 billion necessary next year to pay for the added troops, a significant bloc of Democratic opposition in the House means that the funding will have to pass with GOP support. That's where Boehner comes in.

"We've got to get these troops in there as quickly as possible," the Ohio Republican said, later adding: "I believe a supplemental spending bill that supports our troops in the field is vital, and I will be there to support it."

When Obama first announced his plan for Afghanistan in a speech at West Point, Boehner and many other Republicans were wary, saying they had concerns about Obama's plan "to begin the transfer of our forces out of Afghanistan in July of 2011." But after speaking to members of the military and administration officials, Boehner said during a meeting with Obama last week that he was comfortable with the strategy, and he reiterated that point Thursday.

"I told the president at the White House that I had listened to his speech, I had listened to Secretary Clinton, to Secretary Gates, Admiral Mullen, and our commander in the field, General McChrystal," Boehner said. "And I think they presented a plausible plan for success in Afghanistan.... I think there's enough flexibility with the so-called withdrawal date."

Boehner is less supportive of another Obama plan. He and many GOP colleagues on the Hill staunchly oppose the administration's proposal to transfer some detainees from Guantanamo Bay to a maximum-security prison in Illinois. So when Boehner was asked if he would support a supplemental spending bill if it also included money for the transfer plan, he made clear the answer was "no."

"I am not going to support a bill that -- that facilitates bringing Gitmo prisoners to the United States," he said.

By Ben Pershing  |  December 17, 2009; 5:32 PM ET
Categories:  Capitol Briefing
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Franken objects to Lieberman taking a 'moment' for extra Senate remarks
Next: Obama turns up heat at climate talks

Comments

Bohner is covering for the Republicans not supporting the bill that would fund the troops, just to defeat health reform. Don't fall for it.

Posted by: jckdoors | December 18, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Shame on Pelosi! I thought demotards stuck together no matter what.

Posted by: GordonShumway | December 18, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I am thinking that having Boner (SIC) offering to help the president send more cannon fodder to Afghanistan is comparable to Brother Rabbit using Tar Baby to help Brother Fox. Get into the mess and you get stuck! What a deplorable situation we find ourselves in today with a Congress bought and paid for by the moneyed and empowered. Will elections of 2010 get here soon enough to end the nonsense we see in Washington?

Posted by: robjen116 | December 18, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't surprise anyone that Rep. Boner is a LIAR and a cheat.. good laugh though...

Got any extra tanning spray??

Posted by: rbaldwin2 | December 18, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

President Obama better get it quick that the Republicans are setting him up with their "Support for a troop surge in Afghanistan". They will trash him the moment the war there turns sour, and it will turn sour. It has already become Obama's war. I agree with skyjumperdave. I wouldn't turn my back on Boehner, if I were Obama. I wouldn't trust him, and anything that even looks Republican. Their ONLY goal is to see Obama go down in flames, on every issue. I hope the administration is smart to recognize this.

Posted by: samchannar | December 18, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't turn my back on Boehner. I wouldn't trust this guy any farther than I could spit. (That's about two feet). He doesn't sound very trustworthy to me.

Posted by: skyjumperdave | December 18, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Men older than this "blowhard" have lost their lives in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Sorry Boner, no one needs your help!

Posted by: helloisanyoneoutthere | December 18, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Contrast this with Harry Reid standing on the floor of the Senate and declaring the Iraq war lost.

Now do you see how a patriot acts, liberals?

Posted by: Jeff08 | December 18, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

"Beware of Boehner bearing gifts"! Just what does he want in return?

Posted by: Utahreb | December 18, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Coward. Is that what we do in America, Boehner, broadcast to the world that we're so frightened of terrorists we can't even stomach the thought of holding them in our jails? We held the SS, the first bombers of the World Trade center, the unabomber, Kazynski, Terry Nichols, and hundreds of thousands of murderous SOBs, and conservatives are fleeing in fear from the enemy. I guess its better that Boehner is in Congress and not a member of the military. He'd probably just go AWOL so he wouldn't have to see all those bad guys.

Posted by: lostinthemiddle | December 17, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Obama be aware be very aware if Boehner offers his help--but it shouldn't suprize anyone since Boehner is one of the republican war mongers who would keep us at war 24/7/365. What a fraud

Posted by: LDTRPT25 | December 17, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

There's an adage of long standing about a serious matter (violent conflict is always a serious matter) but expressed in a flippant way, to wit: "What if they gave a war and nobody came?" When used in the past that adage usually has drawn a few wry grins (mine among them). So, then, imagine my surprise to discover that the concept is more than just a shallow adage. Specifically, in America's ongoing "war on terror," we are quite literally giving a war in Afghanistan against al-Qaeda ... but nobody comes. And why not? Because they virtually all moved next door to Pakistan where they appear to be decidedly more welcomed. So here we are, pouring thousands more troops into a wretched little third-world nation (and I use the term "nation" rather loosely), and al-Qaeda doesn't even bother to show up and take us on. How thoughtless of them. As for decimating (the term du jour recently changed to "weakening") the Afghan Taliban that still reside there and, in fact, were born there, at last count there were some 15,000 hard-core members deployed with most of those being in the southern half of the country. It seems likely that Washington is still trying to figure out
what in heaven's name we're going to do with all those folks assuming we ultimately achieve the glorious victory General McCrystal and Co. have been selling (and our president is apparently buying). I mean, c'mon, can any sensible person really think 15,000 hard-core Taliban are at some future date just going to meekly surrender their arms and put up with the corruption eminating out of Kabul? Give this matter the thought it deserves (but seldom receives) and I think you may start to agree that all we're doing now in Afghansistan is "trying to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory." Not a very good road to travel.

Posted by: dsarthur1 | December 17, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Boehner's idea: Tax cuts for the wealthiest Afghans.

Posted by: JRM2 | December 17, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Gee let me see is Boehner on the REDRESS Petition.

Yup he and Obama and all of them are there , dead or alive.

Their names shall be rememvber like Benedict Arnolds is today, if they do not sign the Petition and try to void their disasters.

PETITION:

The REDRESS of the 2009 Federal Government of the United States of America
For NO CONFIDENCE
By the recall of :
The Congress, (all names listed both Partys)
The Hill , ( all names listed both Partys)
The Cabinet, (all names listed)
The Czars, ( all names listed)
Barack Hussein Obama ( all "currently" known names listed: Barack Hussein Soroeto, Barack Hussein Dunham )
BEAR REVOLT was started by Veterans ( Czar nick named terrorists) seeking to empower the active troops with a clear documentation of the majority's will of the people via archival quality hardbound petitions (signatured by all men, women, and children who have No Confidence this 2009 Federal Government).

The signed petitions are being entered into County recordations offices as a "recorded document", then pooled, and placed as a" Document" into the Library of Congress by the people of each State.

The well documented majority with " no confidence" can allow the defenders of the US Constitution the ability to carry out the "will of the majority".

It seeks to void all signatures of the current Fed 2009, and hence can retro from 2010 , 2011, etc. to do it.

This Redress call was named when Pelosi went to THE BEAR REPUBLIC of California , threw imported ACORNS at their heads,
then called them astroturf and walked on their backs with her spikey heels out the door absolutely refusing to listen to them saying NO.

Posted by: dottydo | December 17, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse