President and first lady vaccinated against swine flu

A White House nurse prepares to administer the H1N1 vaccine to President Obama at the White House on Dec. 20, 2009. (Official White House photo by Pete Souza)

The Associated Press
President Obama and first lady Michelle Obama have received their swine flu shots.

Obama said Monday that he and his wife "just got the shots." He did not elaborate, and the White House had no immediate comment.

The president also encouraged others to get vaccinated against the H1N1 strain of flu, now that the vaccine is available to the general public. The vaccines had been restricted to high-risk groups such as children.

Obama says people should know the vaccine is safe when he let his daughters, 11-year-old Malia and 8-year-old Sasha, get their shots in October when the vaccine first became available.

Obama commented in an Oval Office interview with American Urban Radio Networks.

By Web Politics Editor  |  December 21, 2009; 4:44 PM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Midday quiz: Political climate change
Next: After the big snow, Obama reads from 'The Polar Express' at Boys & Girls Club

Comments

My Goodness, Barry had better get a shot! It must be truly funny when a Muslim gets Swine Flu! I wonder if they call it that? I doubt it! Hey, Hussein, what do you Kenyan Muslims call Swine Flu?

Posted by: billwhit1357 | December 23, 2009 3:52 AM | Report abuse

It didn't matter what a persons health status was the cut off age was 64. In my area all that died was over that age. I heard on the news today a dog got the virus. It was in an animal hospital and given medicine. It is fine out of hospital. So if sick go to a vet.

Posted by: sbhappe34 | December 22, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Amazing how some will dream up any stupid thing to criticize the President. Of course he wasn't using his daughters to gauge the safety of the vaccine before getting it himself!

The first available shots were designated for children and health care workers--along with those with chronic conditions such as asthma. We older people--even I with a lung condition--understandably waited without complaint until the vaccine became more readily available. Better some susceptible child than i. I got my shot at about the same time as the Prez. I'm sure his position qualified him early; however, I'm sure his motivation was much the same as mine.

Posted by: TomCamfield | December 22, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I cannot believe all the racist comments and hatred that you people are spewing out - and so totally baseless. The President let his daughters get the vaccine in Oct. and you say he waited for himself until it was safe? You are crazy - he values his daughters more than himself and would not have gotten them vaccinated if he had not felt secure in doing so. Being older Americans, we had to wait to get our vaccine also because we weren't considered in the high risk group. We just got them yesterday. I am so disappointed and ashamed at the way so many of you people are treating the President of the United States! Be united for once and stop parroting the crazy right wing talk show looneys. We Democrats all though Bush was the worst President ever and made serious blunders, but we never treated him like you are treating President Obama - who should be totally credited for saving this country from a serious deep depression. You will see - things will keep improving, his approval ratings will go up and the Democrats will continue to successfully run this country for the next decade. It takes time to clean up a mess so big - be patient, be good citizens, be patriotic and support our President - or move to a country where they like crazy racists like you all are.

Posted by: klokaren | December 22, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I just got the seasonal and swine flu vaccine on Wednesday. This was because I'm deploying to Afghanistan this weekend. It will be close quarters with lots of soldiers who might cough on me. Seems like a good idea to get it. The President, not so much. He should have just gotten his and shut up. Why the need to publicise it? He is a granstanding fool.

Posted by: oldno7 | December 21, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

FordPerfect,
Don't know where you are getting your information, but you were defintely in the first groups targeted for vaccine. And those that were subprioritized included healthcare personnel with direct patient contact and as an operating room nurse, that includes you. Stop spreading things that are not true.

Too many wrong things spread by people who spout off without knowing what they are talking about.

Posted by: commentator3 | December 21, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Are you people serious?? I mean for goodness sakes at first people were whining that he and his family would be first in line to get the shots over your dumb a$$e$ now you are whining because he got the shot three months later. Whether you like it or not HE IS President of the United States and he should be first in line for everything just as all other Presidents have been. Some of you people need to get a serious grip.

Posted by: catmomtx | December 21, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Sure hope it doesn't hurt any swine.

Posted by: GordonShumway | December 21, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

So he waits until it seems 'safe' to take it.

His scrawny are is prepared to receive the PLACEBO injection!

People, you are such fools.

What makes you believe he's taking the real thing??

Posted by: coqui44 | December 21, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

WaPo needs to get rid of so many of these hateful comments.

What is wrong with people? When Bush was Pres. you didn't have this much hate spewed. To those who lost - move on.

Posted by: rlj1 | December 21, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Michelle is in need of, a rabies shot.

Posted by: dashriprock | December 21, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

I am a Registered Nurse, I work in an operating room, and yet I am NOT considered for the high risk category! The vaccine just became available to me one week ago. Give Mr. Obama a chance! If RNs can't get the vaccine, why offer it to the president?

Posted by: FordPrefect | December 21, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Barry made sure no one died from the vaccine first. He and Shaniqua should get vaccinated for STD.

Posted by: Atenora | December 21, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

So Odumbo gets his shots 3 months into the so called pandemic then says we should now feel safe since he's done so. LOL What a leader.

Posted by: askgees | December 21, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse
=======
I could have guessed that some wingnut would weigh in with this gem.

Posted by: Frazil | December 21, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

LOL, what a loser "askgees" is!

Posted by: JC505 | December 21, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse