John Edwards admits paternity

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Updated 2:12 p.m.
By Garance Franke-Ruta
Former senator John Edwards on Thursday admitted paternity of a daughter with former mistress Rielle Hunter, contradicting multiple previous denials.

"I am Quinn's father," Edwards said in a statement. "I will do everything in my power to provide her with the love and support she deserves.... It was wrong for me ever to deny she was my daughter."

He also apologized to his daughter, now nearly two, saying he hoped she could forgive him one day, and to the public. "To all those I have have disappointed and hurt, these words will never be enough. But I am truly sorry," he said.

"I know it's not possible," Edwards previously said over the question of whether Frances Quinn Hunter was his child.

Edwards adviser Harrison Hickman went on NBC's "Today" show to discuss the statement from the former presidential candidate, who also served as the vice presidential nominee for the Democratic Party in 2004.

Hickman said that Edwards's wife of more than 30 years, Elizabeth, who is battling cancer, and John have separated and that she is supportive of him coming forward about the child. "Elizabeth thinks he should acknowledge this," Hickman told NBC.

"Today" reported that Edwards did not come on the show himself because of the ongoing federal investigation into whether he used campaign money to cover up the affair.

His statement comes less than two weeks in advance of the publication of a tell-all book by former aide Andrew Young, who previously claimed to be the father of Rielle Hunter's child. Young reportedly was set to recant that story and say Edwards is the father in "The Politician: An Insider's Account of John Edwards's Pursuit of the Presidency and the Scandal That Brought Him Down," scheduled for publication Feb. 2.

Also on Thursday, ABC News released an excerpt of an interview with Young in which the former Edwards aide said that Edwards had asked him to falsify paternity test results. "Get a doctor to fake the DNA results," Young said Edwards told him. "And he asked me ... to steal a diaper from the baby so he could secretly do a DNA test to find out if this (was) indeed his child."

The interview was scheduled to air January 29 on "20/20."

Elizabeth Edwards told the Associated Press Thursday her "whole family feels relieved" by her husband's public confession, and that she hopes to it will diminish the attention surrounding her marriage and family.

"My marriage shouldn't be on anybody's radar screen except mine," she said.

John Edwards's full statement follows:

I am Quinn's father. I will do everything in my power to provide her with the love and support she deserves. I have been able to spend time with her during the past year and trust that future efforts to show her the love and affection she deserves can be done privately and in peace.

It was wrong for me ever to deny she was my daughter and hopefully one day, when she understands, she will forgive me. I have been providing financial support for Quinn and have reached an agreement with her mother to continue providing support in the future.

To all those I have disappointed and hurt, these words will never be enough, but I am truly sorry.

John R. Edwards

For more on this story, see:

• Chris Cillizza calls the news "both sadly expected and devoid of any real political impact."

• CBS News recapitulates the long back-story.

• Alec MacGillis on the charity work Edwards has been doing in El Salvador since destroying his political future the United States.

By Garance Franke-Ruta  |  January 21, 2010; 7:01 AM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Disapproval of closing Guantanamo facility reaches new high
Next: White House sends muddled message on reform

Comments

On the RELIGION SIDE..GOD is THE GIVER OF LIVE...so he Wanted a NEW LIVE...

Posted by: sigup | January 24, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

On the RELIGION SIDE..GOD is THE GIVER OF LIVE...so he Wanted a NEW LIVE...

Posted by: sigup | January 24, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

TO: Don F DEVON..the english have there affair too. Princess ANN and Caption TOWNSEND....The SEX-Scandal with more the two ..CAllgirls..etc..etc..
I wonder When Congress will get too: legalizing Prosttituion..and collect Taxes .etc..and SHOLVE this "problem"..with out the gossip papers etc..It would be a lot easier..OR WHAT HAPPEND IN VEGAS ..STAY in VEGAS..get the hint!

Posted by: sigup | January 24, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sigup | January 24, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sigup | January 24, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

WHO CARES...20 MILLION CHILDREN DONOT GET THERE CHILDSUPPORT CHECK...so What "ONE"MORE..How many children are fathered each day by our SOLDIERS? And When do the Mothers "GET there CHILDSUPPORTCHECKS?.
Now if Senator Edwards ..give me my check...How much longer do I have to wait. til the Department of DEFENSE ...pays UP?

Posted by: sigup | January 24, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sigup | January 24, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Hearing all this news, reminds me of the good ole days, back in the Clinton administration. Now those were fun times.

Posted by: richard36 | January 22, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Yawn.

Posted by: free-donny | January 22, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Simply put, he is the "Octomom" of U.S. Politics.

Please, please.....just go away.

And take your goofy wife with you.

Posted by: Losercuda | January 22, 2010 7:01 AM | Report abuse

Let us not vilify John Edwards. First of all, he is too young to be without sex. He made the first mistake of marrying a lady 5 years older than himself. Secondly, he should have told the truth, at least, to his wife Elizabeth. Cover up and lies clearly undid his political career. But he can still be a positive and useful force in the society.

Posted by: ramroja | January 22, 2010 6:33 AM | Report abuse

It's not the affair....it's the outrageous deception and cover up.

Faking a DNA test? Isn't that illegal?

And he's STILL at it...going to Haiti pretending to be big humanitarian. Please....self serving arrogant slimeball has no business over there using other people's tragedy like that. No doubt on the advice of his zionist handlers.

I'm sick of hearing about "poor elizabeth". She was a big part of the plot to deceive the American voters! These hollywood wannabees were always milking it for sympathy with all the crocodile tears.

BOTH the Edwards should be prosecuted for campaign fraud.

How DARE them!

Posted by: Rubiconski | January 22, 2010 5:15 AM | Report abuse

Palin's daughter makes the front page, Johnny Edwards gets buried in the paper. I'm shocked, shocked..

Posted by: wewintheylose | January 22, 2010 3:40 AM | Report abuse

Observation based on the Republican Sex Scandals of the past:

Male Republicans do not have to worry about pregnancies as Democrats must do as they prefer their "boy-toy" aids for sex over having sex with females. A guy cannot impregnate a boy.

Posted by: MrZ2 | January 22, 2010 2:28 AM | Report abuse

My question to John Edwards is

"In hindsight, was Rielle Hunter really worth
having an affair with?"

Posted by: dtmbretire | January 22, 2010 1:48 AM | Report abuse

Edwards finally admists paternity.

I can tell a brave man when I see one.

Posted by: foxblues | January 22, 2010 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Two words... sleaze ball.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | January 22, 2010 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Once the full discovery is made, with regards to the embezzlement of campaign funds.

The next stops for Johnny-Boy, will be court, then prison, where he will be passed around for a pack of Menthol's.

Posted by: dashriprock | January 22, 2010 12:24 AM | Report abuse

I love the way WaPo attempts to justify their illegal aid in helping Edwards cover up his lies and illegal activities with [after the fact] hey - we reported it! BS. Edwards is a typical parasitic personal injury lawyer. He's an expert at "Getting a doctor to fake results" - like riding a bike eh edwards.. Like most left wing causes - based on fabricated lies to ensure self-perpetuation. No wonder democrats won't consider lowering health care costs by limiting punitive (NOT COMPENSATORY) awards- cuts into their PROFITS!!! f&$%# hypocrats..

Posted by: genbarlow | January 21, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

What about all the good things Edwards did?

Posted by: HassanAliAl-Hadoodi | January 21, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

registered democrat here..progressive ideology...this week I say ..yeah-Cindy McCain and boo, shame on you..John Edwards..disqusting you are.

Posted by: Mamanomia | January 21, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Looks like rachel hit the jackpot..when are these rich guys going to figure out that these women just want their money? I seen it often, poor girl gets pregnant by rich guy, entrapment...is she going to tell her daughter that she was an accident?

Posted by: mark0004 | January 21, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted: arrogant, self-serving, arsewhole she has for a father.
==
Too bad she'll have to live with Senator Sleazwards for a dad AND -- her mom isn't any role model either.

Posted by: kls1 | January 21, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

'It was wrong for me ever to deny she was my daughter and hopefully one day, when she understands, she will forgive me.'
==========
Let's hope she really never understands what an arrogant, self-serving, arsewhole she has for a father.

Posted by: FactChecker1 | January 21, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

John Edwards looked fake since day one when he ran with Kerry. What is more important than money and power? Nothing.

Posted by: dummy4peace | January 21, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

English guy, what is your message to America about Alabama?

Posted by: kls1 | January 21, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

It's very interesting to read the American stance on morality.

Contributors here appear seem to adopt a number of positions ( if you will forgive the use of the word....)

1. Having sex outside of marriage is pretty dreadful

2 Having sex with a married man who is not your husband is even more dreadful

3 Having sex with a woman who is not your wife when your wife is sick is despicable

4. Denying being the father of the ensuing child means double points on item 3.

5 Nobody seems to give a hoot about the fact that he lied.

6 That he is frighten to admit it publicly and uses a lawyer as a mouth piece who refers to a pretty little girl as "IT" speaks volumes.

My view is his next job should be as a conductor on a freight train somewhere in Alabama and his lawyer should be the fireman.

Don F Devon England.

Posted by: Mecaenas | January 21, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

I do feel very sorry for wife Elizabeth BUT her statement that her marriage is no one's business but hers - well I take exception to that. He ran for President of this country and she supported him every step of the way during that campaign and, in my opinion, knew something of this scandal back then, before it broke. So folks, put yourself in the public eye and THAT'S where you will be!!

Posted by: ReneesOpinion | January 21, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Can someone please tell our would be Presidents and their would-be Presidential advisors where babies come from? Hopefully, that way we won't have to endure mess like this anymore.

Posted by: IhaveANidea | January 21, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

It's all Bush's fault. Why the hell not?

Posted by: signof4 | January 21, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Can someone please explain to all would be Presidential candidates and their would be advisors, where babies come from, so we don't have to be deluged with this mess anymore!

Posted by: IhaveANidea | January 21, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

From my perspective, having a famous supreme court judge as my secret father, this little baby girl deserves the best.

Posted by: svenskasandy | January 21, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

As far as Edward's mistress Reille Hunter is concerned, he didn't exactly win a trophy wife! She is not only homely, but a tramp as well.

She KNEW Edwards was married with children, and KNEW his wife Elizabeth had terminal cancer. Yet, she plotted to meet him, seduce him, and to have unprotected sex with him. WHY?? Because she knew it would pay off big time, one way or the other! Maybe she and Edwards deserve each other! No big win for either of them!

Men are such FOOLS! Edwards, Spitzer, Vitter, Tiger Woods, John Ensign, Mark Sanford, REV. Haggard, Clinton, Letterman, REV. Jimmy Bakker, REV. Jimmy Swaggart, Mark Foley, AND LIMBLAH, etc. etc. etc.

They just NEVER seem to learn!

Posted by: cashmere1 | January 21, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

This must be shocking news to anyone who has been living under a rock for 2 years ...

... or anyone who only reads the Post.

Posted by: HughJassPhD | January 21, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Two years. It takes him TWO YEARS to admit paternity. And everyone knew anyway. He's slime.

Posted by: whisperonthewind | January 21, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Who to choose as slim ball of the year? Tiger Woods? John Edwards? Other nominations? It's so hard to decide.

Posted by: mastin | January 21, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

How tawdry. Can we get back to George Washington and the cherry tree? Truth is essential. The fact that this man could rise to be a Presidential candidate condemns our political system. His persona was a fake. We reward megalomaniacs.

Posted by: cae123 | January 21, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I think we were done a great service in this country by not having Edwards as a possible President. If he can lie to everyone he loves, what kind of character must he possess? I don't see how that baby and her mother could ever trust and love someone who is truly devoid of scruples, particularly given the fact that the affair itself was the ultimate deceit of his family. I hope his other children can find some redeeming qualities they can respect in him.

Posted by: janecolby | January 21, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to the National Enquirer - and shame on you Washington Post for ignoring a big story on one of your liberal pets.

Posted by: mlemac | January 21, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

What a scumbag Edwards is. He now matches Rush Limblah when it comes to low character! Such blatant lies Edwards has told, and to think he was running for the President of the United States!

Thank God the people finally caught on to him. I just can't imagine his wife sticking with him all these years. I hope she throws the book at him, literally and figuratively!

I never want to see or hear about him again. I cannot stomach him. As for the Inquirer seeking the Pulitzer Prize for their "outing" Edwards, good luck! The Pulitzer Prize committee can do better than that!

Posted by: cashmere1 | January 21, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

As B. Walters noted on The View today, Edwards has to fess up because Andrew Young has a book coming out Monday or so. Andrew Young was the married guy who allegedly took $$ from Edwards to say it was HIS love child. I guess Mrs. Young went shopping.

Posted by: GaiasChild | January 21, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

John Edwards admits paternity? SHOCKING!!! I had no idea he fathered a baby that looks like him.

I like the part about him admitting the paternity and FINALLY doing the girl some justice and then fleeing to Haiti to hide out in the guise of "volunteering." Which only means he will find microphones and dictate how things should be going and getting in everybody's way without ever lending a hand.

Posted by: pusherman | January 21, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Edwards used the argument that there were two Americas. Now we know what me meant. He is in one all alone and the rest of the people belong to the other.

Posted by: philly3 | January 21, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

For sure, the solution is at hand. Although his fortune is small to modest by Gulf standards, he might consider emigrating to one of the various countries. Upon conversion to Islam, he could have up to four wives, resolving his current conundrum. There's absolutely no need for him to continue suffering. Among the free courses offered converts are Arabic and harem management.

Posted by: HassanAliAl-Hadoodi | January 21, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

How would all of these lies and deceptions played out if he had been successful in his bid to become the President? How would this situation have reflected on our nation? Time and time again, the lesson learned the hard way is that a LIE will always come back to haunt you. Lies always seem to boil to the surface and show themselves. John Edwards, you are a dog for casting doubt on Rielle Hunter's integrity to further your own fortunes. You allowed your wife to publicly castigate Rielle Hunter and have her shredded in the court of public opinion without speaking for the truth. All of this just proves that you were never good enough to be our President.

Posted by: realneil | January 21, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

i'm sure barely a day goes by that hillary doesn't think how nice it would have been for john edwards to drop out of the iowa race once the enquirer story broke in late 2007... oh, to think what might have been!

i'm sure barely a minute goes by that elizabeth edwards doesn't wish she hadn't swept this thing under the rug.

i can't imagine what cate, emma, and jack are thinking... or will think for the rest of their lives.

Posted by: yesnomaybe213 | January 21, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't know which is worse; fathering a child out of wedlock or putting America on the precipice of economic disaster. Both are evil but the latter Republican policies will have much more impact on our society for years to come. My thanks to all the sleazeballs for a country that is sinking in the quagmire of greed and war.

Posted by: andy11 | January 21, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

well, ....

duh!

Posted by: yesnomaybe213 | January 21, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Oh yes. The sanctity of marriage! Every politician is a lying sociopath. John Edwards is just one more disgusting, lying, philandering, piece of human excrement.

Posted by: jpjrsf | January 21, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

John Edwards is a silly and stupid man.
Chasing women and throwing away that ever meant so much only shows what an idiot he is!!

Cancer stricken wife, he showed no sense by his actions. Running for President doing such things showed his character.

John, hide somewhere as nobody really wants to know what you think or what you are doing.

Posted by: 68b2b | January 21, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

The party crisis, is an opportunity for talk show distraction.
This is the work of the 'great DNC brain'.
If not her, then who??
J. Bond maybe ??

Posted by: RayOne | January 21, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Slimballs include:

Slimy politicians
Slimy women who go after them

Posted by: kls1 | January 21, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

His out-of-wedlock daughter may forgive him some day for his not acknowledging her. However, I doubt that any of us will ever forgive him for the damage he brought on to the political scene of our country, his brutality to his ailing wife, and the damage he has forced upon his legal children. I hate seeing his photo anywhere and wish he would move to some faraway island so that we would never hear from him again!

Posted by: Formerrepublican | January 21, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Well looks like John$400, the son of a mill worker btw, is finally coming clean, if that's possible.

I guess the two America's he was always talking about, you know one rich and one poor, was really more about two families, was legal and one not.

John$400 is your typicial liberal/progressive elite self-righteous self-serving Democrat who made most of his money suing the hell out of doctors and hospitials

You want to know why heatlh care costs are so high, vampire trial lawyers like John$400 are the reason.

Yet this corrupt health care bill moving secretly through the dark back room chambers of Congress does nothing to address this raping.......

Posted by: allenridge | January 21, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Just another pig Democrat.

Posted by: DCer1 | January 21, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!

Posted by: LOONYBIN2000 | January 21, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Just another pig Democrat.

Posted by: DCer1 | January 21, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Just the latest member of the "Trial Lawyer Liar Club." Where all the world's a stage

Posted by: lovinliberty | January 21, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I watched my sister fight cancer for three and a half years - and we cheered her on, made memories, supported and love her more than ever, and knew that every day was more precious than the day before. The experience taught us how to live in the present.

But one thing we could not change was her husband's cheating. MD Anderson personnel told us that over 70% of men leave their wives after their diagnoses. Health insurance policies are owned by one spouse or the other...you are either the policyholder or a dependent...and husbands leaving their wives, many times, leaves wives at the mercy of fate...many unable to afford their insurance coverage - or losing their coverage in the divorce.

If I could have hung my former brother-in-law from the clothes line...and tortured him every day for a lifetime, it would still not have been enough punishment for the emotional and psychological devastation she felt as a result of his infidelity...his total lack of respect for her humanity.

John Edwards? Sorry, the name sounds like it belongs to a human. He isn't human.

May he burn.

Posted by: easttxisfreaky | January 21, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Just one more slimy lying democrat.

Posted by: MRGB | January 21, 2010 12:14 PM
--------------

The above is obviously from some GOP hack who is either uninformed or just plain lying.

Republican Newt Gincrich left his first wife on her deathbed to marry his secretary- who BTW he later dumped for - you guessed it - his secretary.

Then there's your god Ronald Reagan - our first and so far only divorced president.

And let's not forget the good Senator from Idaho, arrested after a Minneapolis men's room incident.

Should I continue?

Posted by: ceefer66 | January 21, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Just one more slimy lying democrat.

Posted by: MRGB | January 21, 2010 12:14 PM
--------------

Republican Newt Gincrich left his first wife on her deathbed to marry his secretary- who BTW he later dumped for - you gueesed it - his secretary.

Should I continue?

Posted by: ceefer66 | January 21, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

It is about time the Post decided to cover this story. Would have been good to know during the election. Thanks must go to the National Enquirer for doing a good job of reporting.

Posted by: TomT22 | January 21, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

The first politician to lie to the people was the first politician. The other lying politicians were the ones that came after the first.

Posted by: eldergent | January 21, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Both John Edwards and Jesse Jackson should be spending more time with their Love Children. Being a father is more than just child support.

Posted by: BaracksTeleprompter | January 21, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, wonder where he will get his $400 haircuts once he's in federal prison? Is there anyone who doubts he used his expense account to behave like this?

Posted by: helenebrooks | January 21, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

White trash and superficial fluff, I am amazed anyone ever believed Edwards and his family story since 2003.

And yet the mainstream press gave him a pass right along as the tabloid tried to point out the truth.

Lies by omission - Edwards and the liberal media - no credibility for either.

Posted by: mlemac | January 21, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MRGB - Just one more slimy lying democrat.

Should read "Just one more slimy lying politician".

They're all the same. Doesn't matter which party. Do you not remember what Newt did to his wife?

Posted by: caebling | January 21, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to the party WaPo.

The National Enquirer broke this story TWO YEARS AGO.

That's right ... The National F'ing Enquirer.

You got scooped by a celebrity yellow journalistic tabloid.

What does that make you?

Posted by: HughJassPhD | January 21, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Just one more slimy lying democrat.

Posted by: MRGB | January 21, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Its proven once again that the values, ethics, and Religion of the American Taliban's leadership are only talking points. Not anything they actually take seriously.
Yet the mindless minions keep believing the tripe that's being spoon fed to them.
REALITY CHECK............
The leadership of the American Taliban are dedicated to profit and power. They couldn't care less about the idiot morons that vote for them.

Posted by: brattykathyi1 | January 21, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

was he on the Maury Show?

ahahahaahahahaha!

Posted by: djrhood | January 21, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Governments do it all the time.
Deny. Deny. Protest that you've been unfairly accused. Claim that you were nowhere in the vicinity when the act occurred. Claim that there is no proof, not one scintilla of evidence. Claim that your critics hate you and have some agenda.
Then wait.
Wait some more.
Wait until the issue is practically dead in the water except for some pathetic souls who keep harping on something that is yesterday's news.
Then issue an apology. Own up to your responsibility. Broadcast it and put on your best face and your heaviest hair gel. Rally your supporters to witness your finest hour. Quote the Bible, if you can. Then pat yourself on the back for being such a fine government/person for making the statement of admission and apology.
Done!

Posted by: KathyWi | January 21, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I have it on good authority Tiger's DNA was tested first.

Posted by: Maximus6 | January 21, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

In response to jmsbh comment about the dead reporters.

I totally agree with you. I believe that the news, both in print, on the net, and on the TV have taken a course from Fox News, or the Enquirer myself. The Today Show, will most likely start hosting women that say their child was fathered by an alien from outer space.

Of course, they may be a little better than Fox in the 'telling lies' department.

Posted by: Will_Mat | January 21, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

The internet blogs are full of idiots with no life. Some of the things you say I would expect from a 12 year old or maybe a senile person. Please go back to work.

Posted by: ged0386 | January 21, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Bad month for Elizabeth. First she is bashed in book about being the witch of the century who tramples on underlings and undermines her husband's blue collar background, now this dagger to the heart. "It" has now been acknowledged as a daughter with the name Quinn. Sad to be near the end of one's life with uncurable cancer in temp remission while your family life crumbles like this, no matter what she has said to staff etc, still seems so painful.

Posted by: maddymappo | January 21, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

what a self-servng, selfish sleaze bag. his biggest sin was to carry on his affair and his campaign with absolutely no concern about the consequences for his party or his country. imagine the horror he would have brought to both if he had succeeded in his presidential run. the man has the morals of a sewer rat. on second thought, my apologies to the rodent

Posted by: chrisjakeeuro | January 21, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

He's a trial lawyer for God's sake! Weasels and wharf rats everywhere are saying "Do you believe this guy?!!" Al Gore must've vetted his character in the same manner that he does his global warming data.

Posted by: ronjaboy | January 21, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

John Edwards is just a white Barack Obama.

Posted by: Jerzy | January 21, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I guess everything in Haiti is all better since the morning "news" shows all led with the Edwards non story and Conan's settlement with NBC. Cronkite, Huntley/Brinkley, Murrow, etc must be spinning in their graves when this kind of trash leads the "news".

Posted by: jmsbh | January 21, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

It's obvious Edwards didn't come forward because it was the right thing to do. He came forward because Andrew Young is writing a book. Edwards is another politician whose love of self and power goes before love of family, God and country.

It's a tough call, but I'd this scandal is a bit more disgusting than those involving Mark Sanford and John Ensign. This one involves an innocent child with a scum bag for a father.

Posted by: tracyblat | January 21, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

In response to; "I would expect better conduct by a person who ran for President. The President is supposed to be the moral leader of the country. We were lucky that he lost the race for the nomination."

George bush was known to abuse drugs (cocaine) and alcohol long before he ran for president. A real party animal, they claim. Was he moral, or was he the moral leader of our country?

Posted by: Will_Mat | January 21, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

John Edwards apologized to his mistress's child. Did he apologize as well to his own children, for the time he spent away from them while having an affair?

Posted by: swimmore | January 21, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

The timing of this confession is revealing.Edwards seems to have thought that it goes well with Haiti and Massachusettes.

Posted by: improvista | January 21, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: microbrewjournalism | January 21, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

From the National Enquirer:

"For over a year, The ENQUIRER scooped the mainstream media with a series of blockbusters investigative reports beginning late 2007 and a blockbuster headline making confrontation in the Beverly Hills Hilton July 2008 by The Enquirer as Edwards visited his mistress and love child to the Spy Photo of Edwards holding his child prompting his "confession" on 20/20, it would appear the Edwards trail of lies and betrayal has come to its penultimate conclusion.

Now, with his 2nd public confession all that remains is the Federal Grand Jury to conclude its investigation into Edwards possible misuse of Presidential campaign funds to fund a conspiracy to pay off his mistress, hiding the truth from the American public.

What was that you said about The Enquirer, John? Oh yeah - "Tabloid trash". "

Posted by: win_harrington | January 21, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Shouldn't the title of this article read "Edwards has another flunky do his dirty work by reading his statement because he's too much of a worm to do it himself"? If someone else can read a statment written by you, they you doing it yourself would have nothing to do with a federal investigation.

I'm sure Democrats will welcome their "honest" populist hero back now that he has this last "hurdle" of of the way.

Posted by: gorams1 | January 21, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Edwards. A liar worse than Obama, if you can believe it.

Posted by: Tupac_Goldstein | January 21, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

My, my, aren't the Republican's out in full force today?

The bible says, "Ye that is without sin, cast the first stone".

Now, how about I remind everyone of Jim and Tammy Faye Baker, or Jerry Falwell, by extension, or Jimmy Swaggart's little romps with a hooker? Also, the funny thing is, they were all registered Republican's!

Now, if you would like to hear of more, I have a list of 60+ sexual cases against Republican party figure heads. Some, for worse deeds than cheating on a wife.

I was accused of fathering a child once, and I was proven right, in that is wasn't mine. I know how that feels, and he may well have not known for sure. When you're a celebrity, as in John's case, people come out of the woodwork with all kinds of claims.

John did fess up when he found out that the child was his. He is going to take care of her, which is more than some have done, and that includes some Republican's I know of.

So, don't go pointing fingers until you take a good hard look at your own self. People have the tendency of reminding you of your own faults.

Willie Matney

Posted by: Will_Mat | January 21, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

This is news? Not to anyone who reads the scandal sheets.
Must be a big celebration at the National Enquirer today - they broke the story and stayed with it. Congratulations!
And shame on the rest of the media. Once again, you were way behind on the curve - probably become you did not want any dirt under your well-manicured nails.
Now get back to work because this guy was a real contender, and Bill got into the White House, and somehow you guys think that personal lives do not reflect on a person's qualifications for office. You could not be more wrong!

Posted by: media202 | January 21, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Oops! I forgot to send a gift. Oops again. Massachusets has already done that

Posted by: rogerherd | January 21, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Oops! I forgot to send a gift. Oops again. Massachusets has already done that

Posted by: rogerherd | January 21, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

John edwards, a full blown slick a scumbucket. His wife IS too good for him. I hope his oldest daughter is ready to raise the two young sibings when her mom passes because he is not good enough to be considered worthy of parenting his wife's children. First cheat on a sick woman then not be careful enough to avoid producing another child. What a dumb F.

Posted by: kew_kew | January 21, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

All is forgiven....he's a democrat.

Posted by: djudge1 | January 21, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

What is wrong with people in power these days. New Formula: Do something stupid. Get caught. Lie through your teeth or can't recall and in the end admit truth.

We as nation must hol the so called leaders to same standards all of us have to live by.

Posted by: Maya2 | January 21, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

What a class A dirtbag that he would put politics above the feelings and wellbeing of a child - and this idiot was going tobe our president?

Posted by: dewaldron | January 21, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Hey!!! I am a Jewish girl. I like dancing, hiking, making friends, sex. I have signed up on --**Jewishflirts. COOOOOOM **-- It's a nice and free place where Jewish seek love, fun, friends!!! My username is “sassygirl8743”. Welcome to visit my homepage!!!

Posted by: katrina8532 | January 21, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

What a lying bastard.

Posted by: hyades | January 21, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

No ones measily opinion on this message board means anything here. It's about the baby, not politics. I am no fan of Edwards, by any means, but as the father of two little girls I say better late than never.

Posted by: yampaco | January 21, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

What a disgusting sick sob... cheating and betraying his terminally ill wife, lying to and misleading his mistress, and worse of all... the reason we are all talking about it... lying REPEATEDLY with a straight-trial lawyer face to the voting public, diverting federal campaign money to a slush/hush fund for his mistress..

Posted by: AJ1806 | January 21, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Is Edwards' political career over? I really hope so, but you never can tell these days.

Look at Newt Gingrich. He committed adultery years ago, but is now positioning himself as a presidential candidate for 2012. It seems that the family-value conservatives all "forgave" him after he confessed his transgression and started talking about God. If Edwards does likewise, would they forgive him too?

Posted by: maggots | January 21, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Who cares?

Posted by: janye1 | January 21, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

This guy takes the cake among sleaze bags. The only reason he's talking now is because of the impending publication of a tell-all book by a former aide. I hope the feds nail him for misuse of campaign funds. (And I don't trust his wife--who was in on the secret and kept mum during the campaign--either.)

Posted by: cocktails42 | January 21, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

John Edwards is no more "perfect" than any other of you clowns writing his condemnation. Ex-staffers who realize they now have to go out into the real world and find a job are notorious for doing this.

Posted by: bigtruck1 | January 21, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

My,My. What a coincidence, Tiger Wood's Sex Addiction plus his? photo at a Mississippi location famous for that just barely precedes Edwards' mea culpa! Calculated " sleight-of-hand ", misdirection helps Edwards avoid some of the SPOTLIGHT!

Posted by: naahbob | January 21, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Ha Ha.The son of a mill worker comment was hilarious.

Posted by: casualpolitico | January 21, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Enough

Posted by: sdl63 | January 21, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Issuing a statement...what a lying, lascivious, coward. Between Quinn's morality-impaired mother and Edwards, someone needs to call in Social Services to place this child with a more upstanding family such as Ozzie and Sharon Osbourne.

Posted by: dontbeanidiot123 | January 21, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

So, the weasel got caught in the trap of his own making. Oh, but at least he has nice hair!

Posted by: csforst | January 21, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Could the Edwards statement be a hoax?

The words "son of a mill worker" appear nowhere in the statement, suggesting that it could not have truly come from the John Edwards.

Posted by: biwah | January 21, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

No sh#t, John. Now go crawl back under your rock.

Posted by: ComfortablyDumb | January 21, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

"TRUTH, NOTHING BUT TRUTH, SO HELP ME GOD, I DID FATHERED A GIRL CHILD OUT OFF WEDLOCK, SAY'S TORT LAWYER JOHN EDWARD."

Posted by: jatihoon1 | January 21, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

He cheated on his sick wife and he was sleazy and dishonest about it. It's awful. But what on earth does his party affiliation or his being a plaintiffs' lawyer have anything to do with it? Tiger cheated -- is that because he was a golfer? Newt Gingrich cheated on his sick wife -- was that because he was Republican? Of course not. When people are injured by someone else's wrongdoing, they invariably want that person to pay for it, and I imagine that you, Roytex, would feel the same way. And you would need a plaintiff's lawyer to help you!

Posted by: fmjk | January 21, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

"TRUTH NOTHING BUT TRUTH,SO HELP ME GOD,'SAY'S TORT LAWYER JOHN EDWARD, I DID FATHERED A GIRL CHILD OUT OFF WEDLOCK."

Posted by: jatihoon1 | January 21, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

what really shocks me is that effective contraception has been around for 50+ years now and they elected not to use it. that just shows poor judgment on top of poor judgment. poor kid, to have two such knuckleheaded parents.

Posted by: rm0659 | January 21, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

No, not at all. If you can't stick to you marriage vows, why would anyone expect you to uphold the oath of office? Personally, most of my friends and family are trustworthy, the vast majority don't cheat on their wives, don't cheat on their taxes, don't beat their kids, don't embezzle money, etc. Maybe you just choose your friends poorly?
----------

WE set unreasonable standards for politicians to meet

Posted by: dgb100 | January 21, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Is John Edwards a long lost cousin of Mark McGwire's? They both share the inability to come clean, even when they they think they are dong so. How curious is it that Edwards would only send his statement and bootlicker spokesman to NBC. Is NBC/MSNBC now officially regarded as the official network of the Democrat Party?

Posted by: fairfaxgoper | January 21, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

No... really? Oh come now, this is not possible. A lawyer. A politician. An elected official. A United States Senator. He lied? He cheated? He had an affair on his sick wife? He's an adulterer? He denied any wrongdoing? He denied having a child? He waited (lied) until the truth was about to go public and THEN he admitted the truth?

Wait a second. Are we supposed to go back to sleep - forgive and forget? I don't think so.

Posted by: joelhar1 | January 21, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

This isn't about Democrat or Republican, you knuckleheads.

It's about the spiritual vacuum in which we live.

WE set unreasonable standards for politicians to meet....WE chase them around with microphones 24/7 and act surprised when they say the same type of human, emotional, dopey things that any one of us would say under one fraction of the pressure (how long would we last under that sort of scrutiny?)

But mostly, WE are pretty much like them, imperfect, but we take comfort in judging them. Can you think of one poitician that we didn't eventually jettison like so much used trash?

We just want someone to blame.

The world is a mess. We're greedy, materialistic, hedonistic followers in a world where a desire to lead means being thrown under a bus when we show a hint of human frailty.

How about we take a good hard look at where we are deflecting responsibility - then maybe we'll understand why are leaders lie to get ahead.

Posted by: NYerInBalto | January 21, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Except his wife had breast cancer, he denied paternity for years, paid hush money to the woman, blamed his staff for not stopping his affair, and worst of all, promised this woman he would marry her after his wife died! I can't imagine how, short of murder, you could betray your spose to any greater degree than he has.
-------

Posted by: dgb100 | January 21, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Who let this sleazebag on "Today?" Don't they have anyone of any news value available? This character-less rube shafted his entire family, lied to the American people, played around on his wife while she was suffering with breast cancer, and then he had the UNMITIGATED GALL to even consider running for any office, let alone "the Big One." Let's let him crawl back under the rock. He has nothing to say for anyone to gain from.

Posted by: wleldred1 | January 21, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Oh lord, you boy Clinton spent eight years in White House, likely putting up a Tiger like score in the process! There are plenty of scumbags to go around for all parites.
---
The Democrats are all out of office, while the Republicans cling to office despite their hypocrisy.

Posted by: dgb100 | January 21, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

This guy is like Jim Bakker's long lost brother, my skin crawls just looking at him, and it runs away in disgust when he opens his oily pie hole. Can you imagine the scandal if he would have had actually won the nomination or presidency before this came out!?

Posted by: dgb100 | January 21, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

very common among politicians,sport heros and entertainment,along with the financial scumbags. they go for plausible denial,lawyer up for advice then confess with the usual excuses. not much different than any other criminal.americans better wise up to the fact that electing these people because of their political party loyalty is stupid.

Posted by: pofinpa | January 21, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

You only had to know one thing about John Edwards to be deeply suspicious of his character: he was a plaintiffs lawyer. This sector of the legal profession eats lies for breakfast and goes to sleep with them at night. Nothing came more naturally to John Edwards than lying.

Posted by: Roytex | January 21, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Sleaze does not get much sleazier than this. I have been through a lot of experiences in my life, but I felt dirty just from reading this.

Posted by: bofo9090 | January 21, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

John Edwards is a typical money grubbing, low life trial lawyer. Nothing more need be said.

Posted by: jdonner2 | January 21, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

All you posters who argue about one party or the other are f'n morons. They're all the same. Putting a "Dem" or Rep" tag on anything does matter one whit.

Edwards is a POS, plain and simple. And he's just one of freaking many.

This sort of behavior is fast becoming the norm. Too bad - "shame" doesn't exist anymore. This isn't about religious morals but about human morals. Our civilization exists because of boundaries. When we just accept some of these new "norms," we don't strive to be better humans. We use being "human" as an excuse. Balls to that.

Posted by: itsagreatday1 | January 21, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Total scumbag

Posted by: shadowshopper1981 | January 21, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

What's the difference between Democratic adulterers Edwards and Spitzer and Republican adulterers Ensign, Vitter and Sanford?

I guess being the Family Values Party means that you get to keep your job when you cheat.

Posted by: AxelDC | January 21, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Too little, too late.

Deny your child, what a great character element we want in a leader.

And thanks for doing it when the Dems are down, dude: your timing is impeccable. They need more like you in the Republican --- er, Democratic party.

Posted by: cfow1 | January 21, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand how he thought he could run for President while carrying on this affair, and why did he think denying paternity would make this any more palatable?

Edwards just needs to quietly disappear from public life.

Posted by: AxelDC | January 21, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Yes, he is a low life. The real scary part is that there are many Americans who either didn't care about his being a dirtbag, or didn't understand that he was completely unqualified to be in public office, much less in a national ticket. He convinced a gullible jury that a baby in the womb was talking, and believed Christopher Reeve would walk after stem cell research. And you think Sarah Palin was unqualified? I forgot to remind you, he was the son of a mill worker.

Posted by: GregJolysGhost | January 21, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

If only hypocrisy and adultery were limited to one political party. From N. Ireland's Protestant-nag Mrs. Robinson to America's Sens. Vitter and Ensign and Gov. Sanford, the far Right has more than its share of adulterers.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
______________________
You liberals have no shame,no morals, no integrity. No surprise, is it? You sniveling liars will be tossed out of office in the next election. Can't come soon enough!

Posted by: nativebornnationalist

Posted by: AxelDC | January 21, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Years ago a friend characterized him as a sleaze bag. My friend was correct.

Posted by: jato11 | January 21, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nativebornnationalist | January 21, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

He sends his minions in and doesn't admit it himself.

Posted by: RoseKelly | January 21, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

ummmm...this is not news. Already knew it. Now Johnny, go get in line behind Tiger, the W.H. party crashers and the bubble boy family. You are now officially irrelevant.

Posted by: wadeb123 | January 21, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

This is as shocking as Mark McGuire admitting to steriod use. John Edwards isn't only a cheater, but now an admitted liar. Go Democrats!! You are on a roll!

Posted by: hannah06 | January 21, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Wait, the Democrats can blame the Republicans. Also, it appears that the taxpayers will be supporting 'ole John's extracurricular activities. Does this mean that John Edwards is no longer in politics?

Posted by: kstobbe1 | January 21, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Wow, we knew this a long time ago. So what, he isn't the first guy to father a child by a woman who wasn't his wife. You had two adult people in a consensual relationship that resulted in a child. As long as that child is supported, then this isn't anyone's business except the Edwards' and the woman involved. Let's move on to more pressing issues.

Posted by: nb3c | January 21, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

God, how horrible. For the kid, for this idiot's career, for his wife. [But how on earth do trial lawyers cause health care costs to be so high?]

Posted by: esmerelda123 | January 21, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Edwards is a fallen man living in a fallen world. He can be redeemed though and I pray that he chooses to live a life that heals himself and his family and glorifies his maker.

Posted by: hit4cycle | January 21, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

John Edwards the sniveling coward waits until the Dims suffer their most shocking Senate defeat in decades to finally find his "courage".

Loathsome worm Edwards.

Posted by: screwjob2 | January 21, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: allenridge | January 21, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

It's very sad... but why am I not surprised...?

Posted by: LaDVna | January 21, 2010 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Well, Rachael hit the jackpot..

Posted by: mark0004 | January 21, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

don't say anything about me or i'll sue your arse. john

Posted by: 12thgenamerican | January 21, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

First minor typo, I think a "not" is omitted from the final paragraph since it doesn't make any sense as written.

Second, it is very sad that according to his campaign workers that the reason he denied being the father is to keep a chance at being Obama's Attorney General. So much for family values as his campaign projected.

Posted by: submarine5 | January 21, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

To all of you phony, empty suit politicians like Edwards just get out and stay out. The country is committed to exposing all of you.

Posted by: hz9604 | January 21, 2010 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Way to go John. Wait until the Democrat party has a crisis (with the loss of the Senate seat) to quietly announce what you've lied about for months. Now go crawl back under whatever rock you came from.

Posted by: gorams1 | January 21, 2010 7:12 AM | Report abuse

John Edwards chose his political career over his daughter? How sad.

Posted by: momof20yo | January 21, 2010 7:11 AM | Report abuse