Obama: "I'd rather be a really good one-term president than a mediocre two-term president."

President Obama said on Monday, "I'd rather be a really good one-term president than a mediocre two-term president."

His comments came in an interview with ABC "World News" anchor Diane Sawyer two days in advance of the state of the union speech he is scheduled to give Wednesday night.

Read more of the interview at ABC.

By Web Politics Editor  |  January 25, 2010; 6:53 PM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama welcomes Los Angeles Lakers
Next: Child care tax credit doubles in Obama plan: Is it enough?

Comments

If I were BO, I'd be more concerned about my light speed downward trajectory into WORST in history.

Posted by: PRRWRITER | January 26, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PRRWRITER | January 26, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

AKIndependent3

Step back a little more:

"The GOP took us from a $236 billion surplus when President Bush took office to a $1.3 trillion deficit"

The surplus was caused by the dot com bubble and under the nasty republican controlled congress!

Then Bush also passed BI-Partisan war acts !!

"Republicans' fiscal irresponsibility has never been matched in our country's history."

In one year it looks like the DEMS have won that prize of fiscal irresponsibility !

And dont forget that Pelosi and Reid have been in control since the 2006 elections!!

Posted by: katahdin11 | January 26, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Where do these people come from who hate the President so ferociously? They are largely Fox "News" viewers.

Fox "News" is an intentionally mis-named cable channel, designed to cunningly stoke the fire of partisan rage through the use of lies, innuendo and propaganda. Roger Ailes and Rupert Murdoch are making an absolute fortune by keeping the haters transfixed and tuned in for their daily fix of anxiety. Ailes and Murdoch do not care how utterly destructive this is for our country and for our press.

I'm surprised the principled members of the press are not fighting back. You can watch any show on Fox and there will be no less than two outright lies every hour, usually many more than that. The sly Fox producers abandoned all journalistic ethics years ago and every night they prove that their singular purpose is to destroy Democrats.

Yet they set the tone and the narrative for the mainstream media. Come on, Washington Post, PBS Newshour, Economist, NBC-CBS-ABC... it's up to you to refute the lies and propaganda. "Goverment Czars," "Socialist President," "liberal President," "soft on terrorism," "Obamacare," Government Takeover..." the right-wing rubbish has taken over every news cycle. This particular story above is pure sensationalism that ignores the real news in Obama's interview with Sawyer.

Posted by: SmirkyG | January 26, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I thought as president Obama could wave his magic wand and create jobs. You mean he can't? I thought he would throw those freaking capitalists under the bus. But no. He worked to save the banks and America's auto makers. You mean he concentrated on health care? He never said that during the campaign... Oh, sorry. He did. He said he wanted to change the culture in Washington. The culturists in Washington unfortunately do not want to be changed. He misjudged his ability to work with partisans in both parties. I heard echoes during the campaign that he believed that a politician's job is not solely to seek re-election. But he would never say that about his own presidency. He did? I don't know whether he will end up as a good president. I won't make that judgment based on whether he has the votes to get re-elected and I will wait at least a couple years before I make a judgment. So far he is doing just as I expected him to do. Will it work out? We will see.

Posted by: Laudie100 | January 26, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

We are just sorry he has to stay the full term. He and his cronies have left us with an unbelievable debt, little job growth, this pathetic proposed health care debacle that no one with an IQ over 60 would want for their loved ones, this phony dribble about transparency that showed bribes and payoffs, this massive push for federal power, the push to close Gitmo sending these nasty animals back to Yemen only to have them come back at us, and the insane push of terrorists into criminal courts. Our family cannot wait to send these arrogant deaf crooked liberals home in 2010 and 2012. I am sincere when I say, I never dreamed a President could shove Carter off the worst President's spot. I was wrong. Obama is the worst President in my lifetime and he did it all his first year. Good bye and so long and do not let the swing door hit you in the behind on your way out.

Posted by: greatgran1 | January 26, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

thank you Obama, one term would be more than enough...the people have spoken, you just chose not to listen. the repubs better not blow this chance with "democrat lites", we want conservatives with conservative values and smaller government Not hard really.

Posted by: marionjulian | January 26, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I for one would be happier if he was just a mediocre president, instead I have to hope that he will be a one term president.

Posted by: mrpotatohead | January 26, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Obama for once. I'd rather he be a one-term President as well. Ya-dah, ya-dah, ya-dah on the rest of the sentence. Now this is something we can all get together and get done! "Come together, right now...Obama's gone!"

Posted by: jjohnson5 | January 26, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

The vetting was done by Oprah. What should we expect, the book club was a good idea.

Posted by: RayOne | January 26, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Obama forgot what's behind door number three: Being a really lousy President in less than one term......

Posted by: TexRancher | January 26, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TexRancher | January 26, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Mr President, please don't stop at one term. Just think how great it would be for the country if you were a half term President.

Posted by: donchew1 | January 26, 2010 6:37 AM | Report abuse

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.".

~~Once again, words; false humility, distraction......

Posted by: Nowreally | January 25, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Botch Wednesday night and the president may just get his wish...

Posted by: parkerfl1 | January 25, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Spendocrats? Do a little research before you post. The GOP took us from a $236 billion surplus when President Bush took office to a $1.3 trillion deficit, with unpaid-for tax cuts for the wealthy, two wars, and the Medicare prescription drug program. Republicans' fiscal irresponsibility has never been matched in our country's history.

Posted by: AKIndependent3 | January 25, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

He'd rather have one good term.....

And this is good so far?

This administration is completely out of touch with America. They live in some made up utopia. The land of progressive socialist communist rah rah with elites who know better than every one else what's good for you and me.

They'll punish the bad bankers, corporations, healthcare companies, succussful people, doctors, professionals and make every one equal and we will all live happily ever after.

It's never worked in mankind but this administration can do it. Change we can believe in in his made up fake world.

Posted by: debmries | January 25, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

That train has already left the station on that choice. Obama is done in one. The only debate will be who was the more mediocre President, Carter or Obama.

The elections in November and 2012 cannot get here soon enough to put a stop to these Spendocrats. Any progressive democrat needs to go back under whatever rock they crawled out from.

Posted by: Bubbette1 | January 25, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Progressivism does not die easy. A 'really good one term' has been lost.
Congress drafted a health reform bill that started a tsunami, and the country woke up.
The Czars have a lean and hungry look, they should not be trusted.

Posted by: RayOne | January 25, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

He should have said, "I'm doomed to be a really mediocre and reviled one-term president, because I led the Social Democrat effort to foist socialism (in the form of social democracy)on an unwilling America."

Posted by: RUKidding0 | January 25, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse