Vice President Biden's mother dies

President-elect Barack Obama stood on stage with his mother-in-law Marian Robinson, Vice-President elect Joe Biden (R) and Biden's mother Jean during an election night gathering in Grant Park on Nov. 4, 2008, in Chicago. Jean Biden died January 8, 2010 at 92 in Wilmington, Delaware. (Eric Thayer/Getty Images)

Updated 4:36 p.m.
Vice President Biden's mother died Friday in Wilmington, Del., the White House said. She was 92.

"My mother, Catherine Eugenia 'Jean' Finnegan Biden, passed away peacefully today at our home in Wilmington, Delaware, surrounded by her children, her grandchildren, her great-grandchildren and many loved ones," the vice president said in a statement released by the White House. "At 92, she was the center of our family and taught all of her children that family is to be treasured, loyalty is paramount and faith will guide you through the tough times.

"She believed in us, and because of that, we believed in ourselves.

"Together with my father, her husband of 61 years who passed away in 2002, we learned the dignity of hard work and that you are defined by your sense of honor. Her strength, which was immeasurable, will live on in all of us."

Jean Biden gained national attention with a handful of campaign appearances with her son during the 2008 presidential race. She underwent hip surgery last March after falling at her Wilmington home.

Vice President Biden returned home to Wilmington on Thursday to join family members at his mother's bedside, the White House said.

Jean Biden is survived by three sons and a daughter, as well as numerous grandchildren. Her husband, Joseph R. Sr., died in 2002.

By Web Politics Editor  |  January 8, 2010; 4:23 PM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama speaks on clean energy investment, new jobs numbers
Next: Senate bill would increase health-care spending less steeply than thought, expert says

Comments

When I was younger I thought age made a difference as it was understood an elderly parent would die and a middle-aged child would accept that death as inevitable.

I was wrong.

Posted by: thegreatpotatospamof2003 l

I'd like to second this and express my deepest sympathy to the Biden family.

Posted by: twm1 | January 10, 2010 1:17 AM | Report abuse

I was sorry that the Washington Post did not provide more coverage of the life of this impressive American woman. Today's paper had a reprint of the AP article in the obituaries section. I had assumed it would be a story on the lower part of the front page. Perhaps they will do better tomorrow.

Condolences to the entire Biden family, and special respects to Vice President and Mrs. Biden for finding time for your care of and visits with your mother so well along with your public duties. It seems that she was fortunate in her children just as they were lucky to have her.

Posted by: fairfaxvoter | January 9, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Our most sincere condolences to the Finnegan and Biden families. May you find strength and encouragement in the our heartfelt sympathies....

Posted by: danny4 | January 9, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Vice persident
our thoughts and prayers are with you in these difficult times.
The nation stands with you at this time of grieve and bereavement.
Be it who you are death is very painful and it hurts to see a beloved one pass on.
God grant you and all the family the serenity to be comforted and understand this mystery call death.
May her soul and all of the faithfully departed rest in perpetual peace.

Posted by: Muyenneh | January 9, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Vice persident
our thoughts and prayers are with you in these difficult times.
The nation stands with you at this time of grieve and bereavement.
May her soul and all of the faithfully departed rest in perpetual peace.

Posted by: Muyenneh | January 9, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

RIP

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | January 9, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Rest in Peace, Mrs. Biden. My sympathies to the entire family in your time of grief.

Posted by: shadowshopper1981 | January 9, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

----------

I was wrong.

The love between a parent and child in even a marginally healthy relationship never really lessens.

And we grieve for so many other reasons, also, upon the death of a parent.

Posted by: thegreatpotatospamof2003 | January 9, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

charlietuna666

Shut up, the facist had 8 years and look what you did. Get your head out of your butt. Nobody likes republicans. Go jump off the 14th st bridge. See if anyone misses you.

Posted by: ged0386 | January 9, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

It is a grief that just sits on your chest, making it hard to breathe or even cry, to lose a beloved parent. I lost my father in 2004 and I had never realized that after you lose a parent, you are never the same person again. I do still have my mother (85) and hold her most precious. If I didn't have faith that I would see loved ones again in Heaven, I would be sad forever. But I know, through Christ, we will know one another for eternity.

God bless VP Biden and his family.

Posted by: Georgetowner1 | January 9, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Presumably this thread will be posted somewhere in the VP's offices ~ so I'd like him to know I feel his pain ~ our 90+ year old relatives ~ fathers, mothers, grandmothers, grandathers, aunts, uncles, brothers and sisters ~ are so fragile we sometimes forget they are probably only moments away from talking with us again.

Just called Mom and Dad, and the Inlaws

And Moderator, purge the list appropriately. Now is not a time for partisan politics ~ that has its own schedule, not this one.

Posted by: muawiyah | January 9, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

WashPost: ''We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.''

My comment is that this 90 year old lady passing on is not news. Please focus on 20 year old kids destroyed in Afghanistan at the request of Mr. Biden

Posted by: ridagana | January 9, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Charlietuna666 - you wretched uncompassionate moron - typical GOP scum that represents everything wrong with America... go die somewhere!!!

Posted by: danglingwrangler | January 9, 2010 6:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: danglingwrangler | January 9, 2010 6:48 AM | Report abuse

To my Vice President Joe Biden and Family:
The Lord has called Mrs. Biden home to rest and to be with her husband. Your mom raised a great individual who cares about others and is also committed to making a better life for everyone in the United States. Please know that you and your family are in my prayers and please don't grieve for long because your mom wouldn't want you to be sad for an extended period of time. Please be strong and be the best Vice President she would expect from her son!

Posted by: marshallkim87 | January 9, 2010 2:35 AM | Report abuse

My condolences to the Vice President and his family.

Posted by: thegreatpotatospamof2003 | January 8, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

hey conservatives, independents, and intelligent democrats:

We can stop obama/democrat healthcare if we elect Scott Brown to Dead Ted Kennedy's Senate seat. No filabuster proof senate for the democrats. Send some money to asap:

Thanks from a patriot trying to save our country from the obama communist democrats.

Posted by: charlietuna666 | January 8, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

No matter the age or the sickness it is a very devastating experience. We seem to never get over it but learn to live with it. Being the family they are will find strength with each other and the Lord. They have a whole nation standing with them in their time of sorrow. To be absent from the body is present with the Lord.

Posted by: sbhappe34 | January 8, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

My condolences Vice President Joe Biden.

She must have been a great mother.

I find you to be one of the REAL people in Washington, clearly she must have done a wonderful job bringing you up.

She lives on in you in every breath you take.

May you recount and celebrate every moment she lived.

Tim Miltz

Posted by: TimMiltzForPresident2012 | January 8, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts and prayers go out to Vice President Joe Biden and his family. His mother was such a lovely, spirited woman. I recall how great she looked during the campaign and election last year. She reminded me of another ardent campaigner, John McCain's feisty "90-something" mom.

Posted by: pjsilva | January 8, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

As someone who lost their Mom now close to two years ago, I perhaps can understand the loss the Biden family is feeling now. May you all find peace and acceptance of this passing.

The country owes Mrs. Biden a great debt as she raised a wonderful son who is now doing a terrific job as Vice President.

Posted by: kashe | January 8, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Bless you Jean - May the many happy memories of your time on earth bring strength to those who cherished your love and guidance in this sad time. Rest in Peace.

Posted by: coiaorguk | January 8, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Biden has been a man who has the ethic to show up for work, and answer a question instead of sending out others to answer it.
Mr Biden has had the integrity to expose the funny numbers and take the heat for it.

Mrs. Biden had her hand in that good character build.

My deepest sympathy at your loss Joe.
My Condolences to your family
As you look back to celebrate her wonderful life, find peace in her greatest accolades , yourselves.

Posted by: dottydo | January 8, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

I hardly agree with VP Biden's politics, but I wish him and his family my heartfelt condolences. Sorrow for the loss of a mother who lived such a long life is the consequence of enjoying her presence and love for so long.

Posted by: hisroc | January 8, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

She must have been terrific lady. My condolences.

Posted by: pjcafe | January 8, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Rest in Peace.

Posted by: askgees | January 8, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

The country owes her a debt of gratitude.

Hers was a life worth living.

Posted by: WhatHeSaid | January 8, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

No matter how long we have to enjoy the company of our mother; when they are gone, we will always think it was not long enough. The Vice President has made his mom proud; and we cannot ask for anything more. My thoughts go out to him and his family. Peace be with you all.

Posted by: samxstreampools | January 8, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

comment to for relation the of will
government communtiy what gov have who live terms region city but

Posted by: raimundlen25 | January 8, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

My condolences also go out to Vice-President Biden and the Biden family. But what a life -- 92 years old and a son who is VP. Good job, Mrs. Biden and R.I.P.

Posted by: andrewgerst@hotmail.com | January 8, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I send you my condolences on the loss of your Mother. I'm sure she was very proud of you and your siblings, and had a wonderful life.

Sincerely,

June Hensley
Louisville, KY

Posted by: tpot9837 | January 8, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

My condolences Mr. and Mrs. Biden and the whole Biden family.

Posted by: mbangour78 | January 8, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

My condolences Mr. and Mrs. Biden and the whole Biden family.

Posted by: mbangour78 | January 8, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse