Biden says he doesn't fear Palin -- 'I like her'

By Garance Franke-Ruta
Vice President Biden became the latest White House figure to weigh in on former Alaska governor Sarah Palin, during an interview Wednesday night on "Larry King Live."

"I like her... I do, I like her," Biden said when queried about his 2008 campaign opponent. "She's an engaging person. She has a great personality. I don't agree with what she says, and I think some of the things she says are not, well, I..."

"What were you going to say?" King interjected.

"Well, you know, it's sort of like, some of the comments made are just so far sort of out there, I just don't know where they come from. But she, if you met her, she's an engaging person. I understand why people like her," the vice president said.

Asked if he feared her politically, Biden replied. "No, I don't."

"My sense is that Sarah appeals, Governor Palin appeals to a group of people who are generally frustrated, feel disenfranchised, are very conservative," he said. "Not all of them..."

"Tea Party people?" King prompted.

"Tea Party people, but beyond that," Biden replied. "She has appeal beyond that as well. But I don't know that it represents anything approaching a significant portion of the population."

A Washington Post-ABC News poll out Thursday shows that 71 percent of those surveyed do not believe Palin is qualified to be president, up from 60 percent in a November survey. The percent of those surveyed who have an unfavorable opinion of her has increased from 28 percent in September 2008 to 55 percent this month -- her highest negative rating since Post polling first asked about her.

For more on Palin, see The Fix: "The Sarah Palin surge (and why it's overblown)."

By Garance Franke-Ruta  |  February 11, 2010; 3:04 PM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency , Joe Biden , Sarah Palin
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama sets the date for meeting with Dalai Lama
Next: Reid nixes filibuster reform effort

Comments

Save the intestinal turpitude for Cheney. On the Sunday show off, Biden looked as if the school yard bully took his lunch.

Posted by: RayOne | February 16, 2010 5:42 AM | Report abuse

He and the progressives should fear her.
And US.
We are coming- start packing.
Even the Kool Aid drinking Obama freaks know you are frauds.

Posted by: CoolPillow | February 11, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Unlike Obaba, Governor Palin appears very affable. I think she gets a bum rap from liberal media because of her beauty and vivacious personality. MSM seemingly demands that female TV news reporters, sportscasters, and weather reporters all be beautiful and gregarious; however females, especially those seeking high offices in politics, are not taken serious unless they are dowdy, plain and somewhat somber.

Posted by: inmanorj | February 11, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I like mean girls too, Joe!

Can I call you Joe?

More people live in Wake County, North Carolina (where the state capital Raleigh is located), than in the entire state of Alaska. Maybe Sarah should run for Mayor of Raleigh? See, that way it won't be all of Wake County that way. She'd be well received there! But she'll have to promise she won't quit if the going gets tough.

Posted by: tony_in_Durham_NC | February 11, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I love Sarah Palin. She makes me feel SO smart!

Posted by: ChuckFi | February 11, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin's Nashville speech was the most significant oration of the 21st century.

See:

Posted by: MikeLicht | February 11, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Joe Biden is a complete and absolute fraud. On CNN's Larry King Live last evening, he claimed credit for the victory in Iraq, especially the new government and elections. What a hypocrite! In 2007, he, Hillary Clinton, Harry Reid, and Obama claimed the surge would never work, called the war a lost cause, and crucified the Bush Administration. At that time Biden proposed a 3 way division of Irag. Hillary called General Petraeus a liar at a senate hearing. Today, Biden is crowing that this is a victory for the Obama administration! This loon must be suffering from a "willing suspension of disbelief," to quote Ms. Clinton. The intern in the Oval Office will do anything to revive a failed presidency. Hope and change? Hardly.

Posted by: nmg3rln | February 11, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse