Bill Clinton hospitalized in New York, receives two stents

Updated 6:32 p.m.
By Scott Butterworth, Philip Rucker and William Branigin
Former president Bill Clinton has been hospitalized in New York City, where doctors have inserted two stents into a coronary artery to help support it, his office said Thursday afternoon.

In a statement, Douglas Band, a longtime aide to the 63-year-old former president, said Clinton "was admitted to the Columbia Campus of New York Presbyterian Hospital after feeling discomfort in his chest.

"Following a visit to his cardiologist, he underwent a procedure to place two stents in one of his coronary arteries. President Clinton is in good spirits, and will continue to focus on the work of his Foundation and Haiti's relief and long-term recovery efforts," Band added.

A stent is a small mesh tube inserted into a narrowed or weakened artery to support it.

Paul Farmer, deputy United Nations envoy to Haiti, has been working closely with Clinton since the earthquake struck Jan. 12. Farmer said Clinton has been working at a grueling pace in recent weeks, and has twice visited the devastated Haitian capital of Port au Prince.

"He's been putting heart and soul into Haiti," Farmer said in an interview. "Everybody who's been working with him knows how hard he's been working on Haiti and how much he's been traveling and thinking about Haiti. It's been pretty nonstop since the earthquake."

Farmer said Clinton's staff at the Clinton Foundation and the United Nations were "anxious" Thursday as they learned of Clinton's heart troubles. "He's inspiring all of us," Farmer said.

Clinton's daughter, Chelsea, has joined him at the hospital, a Clinton aide said.

Clinton's wife, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, met Thursday afternoon with President Obama and Treasury Secretary Timothy F. Geithner. She "is now headed to New York City," a State Department official said Thursday afternoon. "If we have anything to add beyond that, we will, including any changes to her schedule in the coming days."

She is scheduled to leave Friday for a diplomatic trip to Qatar and Saudi Arabia.

Chest discomfort, known technically as "angina pectoris", is the cardinal symptom of insufficient blood and oxygen getting to the heart muscle. The usual cause of the problem is a narrowing--or, more ominously, a complete blockage--in one of the three coronary arteries feeding the muscle.

In the procedure the former president got Thursday, the narrowed section was first identified by an X-ray dye study, and then a plastic catheter was snaked up to it from an artery inserted in an arm or a leg. A balloon was then inflated to widen the narrowed section, and a short section of wire-mesh tube is left to keep it propped open.

In 2004, Clinton underwent emergency heart bypass surgery at Columbia Presbyterian. Doctors then found four major blood vessels that supply oxygen to Clinton's heart were blocked, some by as much as 90 percent.

That surgery was scheduled on short notice after Clinton had experienced prolonged chest pains and shortness of breath. Tests found that his coronary arteries were clogged.

With a family history of heart disease, plus high cholesterol and high blood pressure, Clinton had three major risk factors for a heart attack. In addition, he was known to smoke cigars and indulge in fast food during his presidency.

Before the bypass surgery, Clinton's level of LDL, or "bad," cholesterol had been measured at 114. During his last physical in the White House, his bad cholesterol was at 177. Doctors now recommend that number be less than 70.

After the surgery, Clinton blamed his heart problems in part on a genetic predisposition to heart disease on his mother's side of the family. But he also acknowledged that he "may have done some damage in those years when I was too careless about what I ate."

In March 2005, Clinton underwent a follow-up operation, to remove scar tissue and fluid from his chest cavity that resulted from the bypass surgery.

David Sherzer, a spokesman for former President George W. Bush, said in a statement: "President Bush spoke to Chelsea Clinton this afternoon and was glad to hear that her father is doing well and that his spirits are high. President Bush looks forward to continuing to work with his friend on Haiti relief and rebuilding. President and Mrs. Bush send their prayers for a speedy recovery."

ABC News quoted an unnamed official as saying that Bill Clinton's current ailment seemed more like "discomfort...something wasn't right," rather than a health "crisis."

A friend of the former president told ABC that Clinton had been suffering from a cold and had been worn out from his recent trip to Haiti. He is the United Nations' special envoy for Haiti and, in recent weeks, has been helping lead the public campaign for donations to help that country recover from its devastating earthquake.

By Post Editor  |  February 11, 2010; 4:44 PM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency , Cast of Characters
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Reid nixes filibuster reform effort
Next: Harry Reid's jobs strategy a puzzle

Comments

TO PRESIDENT CLINTON, c/o Terry McAuliffe, CGI aides:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Once you're back at work, please turn your attention to ongoing Bush-legacy programs of hideous personal destruction:

SECRET HOMELAND PROGRAM SILENTLY IRRADIATES THOUSANDS OF AMERICANS WITH HARMFUL MICROWAVES FROM CELL TOWER 'DIRECTED ENERGY' WEAPON SYSTEM: VETERAN JOURNALIST

• Regional Homeland Security- administered fusion centers use a nationwide microwave/laser electromagnetic microwave/laser "directed energy" weapon system to silently torture, impair, neurologically and physically subjugate citizens deemed to be dissidents or undesirables -- an American genocide hiding in plain sight.

• Victims' own cell phones may be used to target them for silent impairment.

• How a young FBI agent's "I believe you" gave victim the faith to go public.

JOURNALIST EXPOSING SILENT GOV'T MICROWAVE CELL TOWER TORTURE HELD HOSTAGE TO A POLICE-PROTECTED 'COMMUNITY WATCH' GESTAPO

• Bucks County, PA- based MAGLOCLEN fusion center: "Mid-Atlantic States Ground Zero of a Multi-Agency Federal-Local American Gestapo"

• When will Obama administration stop covering up -- and act to restore the rule of law?

www.poynter.org/subject.asp?id=2 OR NowPublic.com/scrivener ("stories" list)

Posted by: scrivener50 | February 12, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Don't like him, but Godspeed, Mr. President!

Posted by: jahoby | February 11, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Billy boy needs to watch his diet more closely. Billy Boy is eating too much southern fried chicken.

Posted by: liberalsareblind | February 11, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Fat interns hardest hit.

-----------
And who was that fat intern?

Nothing more than a right-wing tubby no longer in denial...

Who is 'yer Daddy?

Posted by: thegreatpotatospamof2003 | February 11, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Actually FirdayKnight, we don't really care about you. Never mind.

Posted by: CntrvilleCitoyen | February 11, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Wow,there are truly some idiots on this board. Especially FridayKnight. Hey. we can wish the same on you if that's fair game.

Posted by: CntrvilleCitoyen | February 11, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Fat interns hardest hit.

Posted by: HughJassPhD | February 11, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

first foremost, wish Clinton and his family to recover from what might have ended as sad day. What people talk at this pooint moot.Mr.Clinton recognised the symptoms of on coming heart attack and took action.

Here is a perfect example normal should be asking? am I following the strict regimen have recommended. There is no option, if they do not follow the orders-virtually. It is not death sentence, but one is old enough to follow simple steps for prevention. Surgery or angioplasty is not a cure, it just buys time,same way as early detection of cancer. I am sure that the doctors will have discussed the very first time.No one should disregard - disease just progresses. If one buys time, make use of it.

I am a retired cardiac surgeon and had a mild heart attack in 1991. With immediate angioplasty and following every instruction my cardiologist, I am well and ticking, but skinnier. It was my personal choice and I knew there was alternative to life style change.
This is applicable to every person with every medical condition.This is where PREVENTIVE CARE should start with every individual, which prevents serious illness- am not using death in my statement

Posted by: jayrkay | February 11, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Those who are making sexual comments about former President Clinton are only showing their lack of manners and education.

Get well soon, Mr. President!

Posted by: Alex511 | February 11, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

News BULLETIN: It was discovered today that Slick Willie DOES have a heart !!!

Nice to see that EVERYONE is NOT in need of the proposed National Healthcare !!!

BTW: Ole Slick gets Taxpayer funded Healthcare AND his salary and Benefits for LIFE !!!

Posted by: thgirbla | February 11, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

One of these days, President Bill Clinton will be canonized, for all that he has done for the advancement of humanity-I can tell you for a fact, that he is LOVED ALL OVER THIS WORLD-PEOPLE LOVE HIM, THEY CANNOT GET ENOUGH OF HIM-EVER, EVER.

GET WELL SOON, PRESIDENT CLINTON-WE NEED YOU NOW, MORE THAN EVER!

Posted by: arrabbiato | February 11, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Bubba still has a heart?

Posted by: nickthimmeschearthlinknet | February 11, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

The "decency" of Democrats was truely on display when they threw eggs President Ronald Reagan's funeral procession, with his widow inside.

Posted by: BenLaGuer

That would truly be un-defensibly abhorrent if it had happened. Except that it doesn't appear that anything of that sort took place.

Posted by: washpost18 | February 11, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

He didn't want to be flown to Cnanda, or Cuba fore their great health care leftists?

Posted by: wewintheylose | February 11, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

To DebraJMSmith of informing Christians:
Concerning your "diagnosis" of President Clinton being an alcoholic, may I ask you if you are a Dr.?

There are many medical maladies that can cause a face and nose to become flushed and swollen, not just alcoholism. I suffer from bouts of Rosacea and my nose becomes red and swollen during those episodes. Stress, heart disease,allergies, etc. can also cause flushing.

Obviously,by you consider yourself an informed Christian. You need to go back in your Bible and read how many times the words, "Judge not be lest ye be judged." is found.

Posted by: inmanorj | February 11, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Must be nice to have Cadillac health care. Thanks to Republican stonewalling, even fewer Americans will have access to even basic healthcare. In spite of that disparity, I wish Clinton well.

Posted by: gce1356 | February 11, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

"All a person has to do is look at Bill Clinton's nose, to know what has to be a large contributing factor in his heart troubles.

The reason his nose is getting big, red and round, is from alcoholism
"

idiot! Clinton is a known for not being a drinker-

rhinophyma

try and learn what it is

Posted by: newagent99 | February 11, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

I did not agree with many of President Clinton's poicies, nor did I agree with his lapse in morals; however, I do respect him in many other areas such as his humanitarian efforts. I also give him the respect due as a human being and fellow American and I wish him Godspeed.

Some of the comments on this board are obnoxious, disgraceful, and repugnant. One must wonder about the intelligence and moral fiber of these commentors. I feel sorry for their children, should they have any.

Posted by: inmanorj | February 11, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

I am amazed at the vitriol some of you are spewing in your comments. I guess it makes you feel better to put someone down.To bring up every rumor real or imagined to imply that someone deserves whatever happens in his life.This man has spent his life helping people less fortunate than himself. You do not have to like him but you do not have to be mean and nasty either. Enjoy the few minutes you spent writing your comments because maybe that's the only enjoyment you will have for the day.

Posted by: clarendon67 | February 11, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

word spred fast to all that still follow what you are doing,we pray that you up and around fast> the world does need your HELP!! GOD speed to your health,our prayes are with you

Posted by: carolyn13 | February 11, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Good thing that Obamacare (and Hillarycare) didn't pass or else he would have waited six months for those stents.

Posted by: oldno7 | February 11, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

I hope the Post doesn't censor these remarks. The world needs to see how many of these vicious right wing Republicans have no sense of decency whatsoever.

Posted by: twm1 | February 11, 2010 6:12 PM

*******************************************

Posted by: BenLaGuer | February 11, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

I was never much of a Clinton supporter, but I only wish him well and hope for a speedy recovery.

Additionally, after having the partisan not-ready-for-prime-time clown we currently have in the White House, I have a new appreciation for how Clinton was able to ignore the Left (as should always be done), and move towards the middle and work with moderates in the Democratic and Republican parties to get things done.

Posted by: websterr1 | February 11, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Would a BJ help?

CCL (Could Care Less)

Posted by: russpoter | February 11, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: twm1 | February 11, 2010 6:12 PM

*******************************************

You know, twm1, somehow I missed all those compassionate expressions of good wishes from decent, left wing Democrats the last time Dick Cheney had a heart problem. I sure it was an oversight on my part.

Posted by: hisroc | February 11, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Bubba's always been a member of the Progressive nomenklatura, not to his credit. But he measures up we against Odumbo -- and I wish him well. Maybe he needs one of Willy Nelson's friends, you know, the kind who can suck the chrome of a trailer hitch. Where is Monica when needed?

Posted by: rethman | February 11, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

FilmMD:Dick Cheney will keel over in the next few days. He deserves it too!
=============================================
No one deserves to die FilmMD! This is just as sick as FridayKnight's statement!

Posted by: warhawk911 | February 11, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

The reason his nose is getting big, red and round, is from alcoholism. And alcoholism is bad for many things, including the heart.

Debra...
of - Informing Christians

Posted by: DebraJMSmith | February 11, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

I wish President Clinton good health! I may not like him but I do wish him a speedy recovery!

Posted by: warhawk911 | February 11, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Gigger,

What's wrong with helping Haiti? Clinton says he has a passion for helping the people that live there. I can think of no better way he could help.

Posted by: FridayKnight | February 11, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

While they were at it, they should have put a couple of stents up his retum along with a few in that duplicit hypocrite foundation that rakes in money for the financial empire he has built and building along with that Dybya.

Posted by: winemaster2 | February 11, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: winemaster2 | February 11, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

I wish him a full and speedy recovery.

Posted by: WestTexan2008 | February 11, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

I miss this man. The last really smart President - tremendous reader, intellectually curious, able to expound on any topic without a technical aid. I also think he was a well-intentioned person. And charismatic. Wow! I miss the confidence I felt when he was in charge. I am an independent who voted for Bob Barr, but I can't wait to vote Republican in 2012. This current guy is an absolute joke.

Posted by: ConcernedWoman1 | February 11, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Clinton's politics were never mine. Nevertheless, he is a phenomenon of a person, and I wish him nothing but the best.

Posted by: gbooksdc | February 11, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Very recently, my body told me succinctly to slow down, "Take the long road and walk it". President Bill is still a young man at heart with great healt-care benefits no doubt so I am not really worried. Besides, only the good die young. With my defective genes there are indeed some blessings like getting a postcard from the doctor telling me my cholesterol is below average. Apparently I am immuned to fat accustomed to hamburgers for breakfast ?

At breakfast I was thinking about Jack Murtha and I remembered Willy campaigning in Johnstown, Pa. last year for the cause. I tried to predict what a new candidate for Johnstown, Pa as Representative in United States House of Representatives would say if Clinton were with him in the next six months.

I suppose that first I would say that scandals which fuel 24/7 news-entertainment industry distract from the nation's business. That there is only really 1/2 hour of real news each night delivered by Williams or Couric. That networks need 23.5 hours of filler each day which is reserved for talking heads. And that control freaks with boundary issues excuse trespassing and violations of privacy for selfish gains.

Clinton years were good years. Oil prices were relatively stable. There was economic growth with a surplus budget. Corporate America was paying their fair share of taxes while the middle class was relatively happy in their pursuits. In current radical political atmospheres (which is nothing more than amplified rovian Politics) I think the Tea Party is just anti-Pelosi. It's a personal attack on persona amplified which is accelerated by personal and political ambitions.

Get well Bill, but take your time, we are a village.

Posted by: truthhurts | February 11, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes for Bubba! I frequently have wished that Bill was still running the country at various points in the Bush II and Obama administrations.
I guess that is what some right wing extremists hate about Bill Clinton and even some "Magic Negro" worshippers:

Bill Clinton was actually a better President than Bush I, Bush II, and is looking to been a better leader of the country than what Obama is shaping up to be.

So the hate posts are uncalled for, though I have to admit one was very funny:

"If he goes, he would make for several good meals for Haitians.
Posted by: FridayKnight"

Good dig on do-gooder Bubba and the semi-barbaric, overpopulated, crime-riddled, and thoroughly dysfunctional Haitians.

That said, outside politics - we should never wish ill on others, except the very worst of the worst....like Bernie Madoff or Ayman al-Zawahiri. And Bill Clinton is not in their company.

Posted by: ChrisFord1 | February 11, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

That is from eating those greasy burguers and oily fries. Bubba you better change your diet.

Posted by: cub62 | February 11, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes, Mr. President -- get well soon.

Posted by: thegreatpotatospamof2003 | February 11, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

I blame Bush!

Posted by: BenLaGuer | February 11, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Life is so short, we all need to pray for Bill's salvation

Posted by: houston123 | February 11, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Praying for your soul!

Posted by: houston123 | February 11, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Jesus sure wouldn't approve of the average right winger's comments on this topic. Family values my butt........

Good luck on your recovery Mr. Clinton and keep up the absolutely fantastic work!

I'm going to toss in a "he actually smoked those cigars?!?" joke as well. :)

Posted by: theobserver4 | February 11, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Apparently SOMEONE is NOT in NEED of improved HeathCare !!!

Posted by: thgirbla | February 11, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

As Obama's puppet master Rev. Wright would say, the dumbocrat's chickens have come home to roost. God is really taking out the trash. First Teddy "Murderer" Kennedy then Jack "Marines are Murderers" Murtha and now Bill Clinton. Can't wait until November when a new broom sweeps clean! BTW Libs, keep calling Sarah Palin stupid and saying how you hope that she is the GOP candidate because she will be so easy to beat. We all know how well that worked for you with two term President George W. Bush. Obama... LOL!!!!

Posted by: oldno7 | February 11, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I don't think the hate mail should be blocked--sure is a lot of it here but it probably resonates with the sentiments of those who monitor this comment page.

The comment about Clinton being a meal for Haitians wins a blue ribbon. Yes, please let us know who you are. Shudder shudder.

The spewing demonstrates to all, how uncivilized and uneducated large pockets of so-called Americans are. "United" States is a fantasy. As a society we are the antithesis of that ideal and it's good to hear from people from extreme spectra to remind us to be wary and beware.

However, I think people should remain free to express their crudeness right along with rare, astute sophistication. But wow, what a hateful society we are. I hope subsequent generations will be more advanced.

We are not setting good examples nor are we governing ourselves effectively...that goes for all of 'em up there power tripping. So much for my hate mail.

Posted by: gigger | February 11, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

My prayers are with President Clinton - hope to hear he's released soon from the hospital. Read about his support in Haiti and speaking for many, many Americans we want to thank him for leading a support group for Haiti. THanks Bill Get Well Soon!

May God Bless America

Posted by: annie21 | February 11, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

To many 'Vag' dipped cigars?

Posted by: Etek | February 11, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: twm1 | February 11, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Hate to think Cheney will outlive you; but it may be true.....anyway, Hillary will prob. be the candidate in 2013 so you'll have a nice place to live if you hang in there long enough.....go to Ojo Caliente, write the 'tell all' autobiography, and stay away from Chicago!

Posted by: Common_Cents1 | February 11, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

SO WHAT, What about the American people with the same problem Clinton has but can't or denied health-care He's no more important then other people

Posted by: mernatti123 | February 11, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

It's hard to beat the DNA. You can run, eat well, do all the right things but if your DNA is against you, you'll get the stints.

Makes me want to run out and get some buffalo wings and fries. ... and a beer.

Posted by: James10 | February 11, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Upon hearing of Bill's hospitalization Hillary lifted her tongue fron the carpet and said, "I'll be there after I'm done with lunch."

Posted by: Etek | February 11, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

WaPo needs to seriously monitor these boards. So much hate speech should not be allowed and those who spew it should be blocked for months.

Posted by: rlj1

-------------

I disagree. The hateful spew needs to not only be allowed but publicized. Let everyone see how the extreme right wing conservative behaves. Let everyone see the silent acceptance of it by the so-called moderates. Point to it every time one of the smarmy little basturds puts the self-righteous underwear on their head and attempts to advertise themselves and their cult as an example of morality and decency. Bring it up every time one of the precious little snowflakes whines about persecution and condescending attitude from others.

Only then will the mouthbreathers be dropkicked back into the garbage pile where they belong.

Posted by: washpost18 | February 11, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Godspeed President Clinton. Thanks for all you are doing for our country via your good will ambassadorship with President Bush. We wish you well.

Posted by: MarketingChick | February 11, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Whether you agree with his politics or not, he was the most entertaining president I've experienced in my lifetime.

Godspeed.

Posted by: maus92 | February 11, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Looks like he'll be OK but there is still hope he'll rest in peace.

Posted by: Etek | February 11, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Bill Clinton has been an inspiration that has led me to avoid all that bad food. No McDonald's or like killer foods ever again (but I do miss the Big Macs).

Posted by: johng1 | February 11, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Hang in there, Bill. Plenty of people in this town miss you.

Posted by: Hyperlocal | February 11, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

My heartfelt wishes for a speedy and full recovery, Mr. President. You have been a great source of inspiration and leadership for our nation and the world...We need you now more than ever, as there seems to be a dire shortage of real leadership and clear thinking in many of the familiar corridors of power you knew so well a decade ago.
Get well and continue your good and great works for the advancement of humanity. This is one conservative who wishes you were still living in the White House.
'All the Best, Mr. President !

Posted by: snoopy7666 | February 11, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Please get well President Clinton. And please take it easy and let someone else carry the ball for Haitian relief.

Posted by: joepah | February 11, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

I pray for Prez Clinton's speedy recovery and for the softening of the hearts of so many who spew hatred on this site's comment section. I didn't vote for President Obama but I would never wish him ill. I hope the best for our current and all our past leaders, especially Bill Clinton!

Posted by: agespeaks | February 11, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they should put warning labels on those McDonald's wrappers.

Posted by: DEFJAX | February 11, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Like many, I wish President Clinton a speedy and complete recovery. While I didn't agree with the man, I wish him and his family the very best.

Posted by: richard36 | February 11, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

If he goes, he would make for several good meals for Haitians.

Posted by: FridayKnight | February 11, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Hang in there Bubba, this is one hard line republican that's pulling for you.

Hey,,,,no chasing the nurses, or nurse-a-grams for at least a month !

God Bless

Posted by: dashriprock | February 11, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Wishing you well President Clinton

Hope you have a speedy full recovery

Posted by: wtomany | February 11, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rlj1 | February 11, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

This is no time for politics. Let's all wish President Clinton a speedy recovery and hope that those on the opposite side of the political aisle from him do the same.

Posted by: parkerfl1 | February 11, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

We are thinking and wishing as hard as we can, Mr. President, for your good health, for your speedy recovery-you are the best President this country has EVER had, we love you, and need you still.

Posted by: arrabbiato | February 11, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Dick Cheney will keel over in the next few days. He deserves it too.

Posted by: FilmMD | February 11, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

inmanorj: for sure, if you are an x president. Ask some one with out health insurance what their treatment would be? coffin.

Posted by: linda_521 | February 11, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

don't die, tiny tim!

please don't die

Posted by: malachhamovess | February 11, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

apparently, while traveling solo, no one is around to separate man from greaseburger.

having survived impeachment and the wrath of Hillary, it would be a real shame to succumb to a blockage. Where the hell is Monica when we need her!!

Posted by: malachhamovess | February 11, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Pretty creepy, Knight.

Posted by: JamesChristian | February 11, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Pretty creepy, Knight.

Posted by: JamesChristian | February 11, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Dare I hope? Murtha and Clinton in the same week? Wouldn't that be loverly?

Posted by: FridayKnight | February 11, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Dare I hope? Murtha and Clinton in the same week? Wouldn't that be loverly?

Posted by: FridayKnight | February 11, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Poor guy. Already clogged up the by-pass eh?
It's a pisser living in Harlem. Dood's got Southern/Soul cooking all around him up there, he can't resist. I know I couldn't.

Hope Dood comes out ok..

Posted by: JamesChristian | February 11, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I wish him Godspeed and all the best in his recovery. The good news is that we have a country like no other when it comes to medical expertise.

Posted by: inmanorj | February 11, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

What is it with you, Screwjob11?
You must have a very tedious existence if you need to insert your political bile into every situation, even when you are struggling to be empathetic.
Here's a suggestion: be constructive, avoid making up silly names, and come up with substantive suggestions rather than sophomoric "humor." But thanks for being supportive of President Clinton's recovery:

"After a dismal year of Barry the incompetent boob Obama in the White House, even I have a certain fondness for Bubba, and wish him well.

Posted by: screwjob11 | February 11, 2010 4:55" PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gratianus | February 11, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Get well quick, Bubbs, and hope you can stay away from those Big Macs. They're probably why your arteries are all clogged up, all that running notwithstanding.

Posted by: gnomek2 | February 11, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Be well Bubba!

Posted by: JoeBlo | February 11, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Our thoughts and warmest wishes are with the Clintons today.

Posted by: fairfaxvoter | February 11, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Let's spare the usual stupid comments and just wish him well and a speedy recovery!

Posted by: ajlerner1 | February 11, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse