"Miss me yet?" Bush billboard mystery solved

(Photo credit: Bob Collins/Minnesota Public Radio)

Unhappy business owners have come forward as the minds behind a Minnesota billboard featuring former president George W. Bush waving impishly at drivers along with the message, "Miss me yet?"

Minnesota Public Radio's Bob Collins has been investigating the mysterious billboard, which popped up near the town of Wyoming along I-35 in his state. When he first saw it, he thought he was hallucinating.

Photos of the sign spread among national political blogs, with some calling it a fake.

On Tuesday, Collins confirmed that the sign was real but couldn't get anyone to take credit for having purchased the advertising space.

The general manager of Schubert & Hoey Outdoor Advertising told Collins Wednesday: "The Bush 'Miss me yet? 'billboard was paid for by a group of small business owners who feel like Washington is against them. They wish to remain anonymous. They thought it was a fun way of getting out their message."

By Rachel Weiner  |  February 9, 2010; 2:40 PM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: At wide-ranging meeting with congressional leaders, Obama says he won't start over on health care
Next: Undetered by snowstorm, Reid plans to unveil Senate jobs bill

Comments

To think that George W created the issues alone or that Obama can solve them alone is shortsighted. The apathy of the American population as a whole has created the issues we are facing. If we want true reform we need to stop the rhetoric and demand performance from those we send to represent us. It is one thing to vote for 7th grade class president based on popularity, it is another to elect your representatives this way. I appreciate that we have the right to vote, now lets think about the responsibility that goes with it. If you had an employee and you only gave them input once every four year what would you expect the results to be? Its not enough to simply sit back and complain - insist they do their job, or fire them now!

Posted by: GARYROUX | February 13, 2010 6:12 AM | Report abuse

I miss Dubya. He'll be proud to know that Biden, and O'bama are taking credit for the "Surge." They can both look you in the eye, and lie with the cold blooded, calculating knowledge, that most Democrats, will accept whatever they say, regardless of veracity.
Next week, the O'bama Administration will announce a budget surplus.
Dennis

Posted by: Shadowsmgc | February 12, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

The Iranian street, and Greece protest movement seek international recognition.

Posted by: RayOne | February 10, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I really do miss George W. I'm a sucker for gutsy leaders with the courage to wage war on random countries without crafting exit plans. And I want my President to have the financial genius necessary to turn billions of dollars in surplus into trillions in debt. Without a doubt, our country was WAY better off in 2008 than we were in 2000. How long until Sarah Palin declares her candidacy?

Posted by: TyrantofReason | February 10, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse
-------------------------------------------
Don't relax, yet. You're going to"REALLY" miss Dubya much more after Iran Nukes Israel, or Israel Nukes Iran, launching WWIII..

If you like the Economical/Financial Genius of George Dubya, you're probably ecstatic, to the point of orgasm, at what O'bama, and Czars, are currently doing to our Economy.
Try to hang on, he's accelerating, downhill, this should be fun for you to watch.

Sarah will declare. If I were "King Of The World", we would only have Two possible candidates for President, in 2012. It would be Sarah, and O'bama.
I'd laugh, again, if you guys elected O'bama. You're "doing it, to yourselves," and enjoying it.

Dennis

Posted by: Shadowsmgc | February 10, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to buy a dozen Bumper Stickers.
Dennis

Posted by: Shadowsmgc | February 10, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TyrantofReason | February 10, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

We miss him at iMissW.org! Come visit & show your support! :)

Posted by: imissw1 | February 10, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Well, obviously they prefer to remain anonymous because they're business owners, and don't want to lose business. And when you look at the uproar the billboard is generating from loonies who are absurd enough to:
a) disbelieve the ad's existence, claiming it's an internet hoax
b) disbelieve the ad's existence, "thinking they were hallucinating"
c) launch an investigation to find the people who put it up
d) deliberately misinterpret the ad's message, trying to believe it's an encouragement to disillusioned Dems, since surely no one could really miss him!(see Yahoo News's take on it)
e) accuse the old Bush administration of putting it up, since surely no one could really miss him!

Posted by: jonskatharine712 | February 10, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Some off may have complaint of lost memory or post traumatic syndrom caused by Bush et al?

Posted by: janroseboom | February 10, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

I have missed George Bush since BO took office. Our country and we are MUCH worse off now than we were 2 years ago. That is after 1 year of dems in congress.

Posted by: annnort | February 9, 2010 3:10 PM
------------------------------------------
I've just located a source, that sells the Billboard images.

I'm trying to buy a dozen Bumper Stickers.
Dennis

Posted by: Shadowsmgc | February 10, 2010 1:52 AM | Report abuse

fr annnort:

>I have missed George Bush since BO took office. Our country and we are MUCH worse off now than we were 2 years ago...

Missing your bff dumbya? Too bad. It's high time he and his cronies were booted out of the White House and told NOT to come back.

Posted by: Alex511 | February 9, 2010 4:30 PM
-------------------------------------------
Keep living, Alex. You'll miss Dubya. You probably ate yesterday, and today. Just wait until your can't remember whether you've had food to eat, for two consecutive days.
You'll long for Dubya. Hang on. It's going to get much worse.
Dennis
I want the Bush Billboard Bumper Sticker. Who's going to be the first to make it available?

Dennis

Posted by: Shadowsmgc | February 10, 2010 1:41 AM | Report abuse

Great Billboard!

It might end up being placed all over the country for the November elections.

The only question is who will pay for the billboards?

Republicans or Democrats.

Posted by: KHMJr | February 9, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

I know I miss him. I wonder how Obama would do if you polled him against Bush right now? At the rate he's going Obma's poll number will soon be worse than Bush's when he left office.

Posted by: RobT1 | February 9, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

We are much worse off now that obozo the clown is in office than when George W. Bush was in office. Obozo is just not presidential material. He is a purple lipped fool.

Posted by: charlietuna666 | February 9, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

This is an insightful campaign.
The chatter is great.

Posted by: RayOne | February 9, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

fr annnort:

Posted by: Alex511 | February 9, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

If one misses GW that much, why not identify your self. Hmmm!

Posted by: Judy_L | February 9, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

It's too bad the billboard didn't show GWBush in a prison cell where he belongs.

Posted by: dsrobins | February 9, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: houston123 | February 9, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

This is just the type of thing that is keeping the country so divided. This is the type of small minds that weigh upon the national interest. These people should be held accountable for this type of behavior.

Posted by: racam | February 9, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

TO: annnort who wrote:
“…Our country and we are MUCH worse off now than we were 2 years ago…”
___________________

That’s like the victim falling in love with the person who’s bringing the most harm to them.

Psychos baby! Wacked out nut cases whose memories are shorter than that of a nat.

Posted by: lindalovejones | February 9, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse