'Family Guy' actress says Palin has no sense of humor

Sunday's "Family Guy" episode -- in particular, one character, a girl with Down syndrome -- outraged former Alaska governor Sarah Palin and her daughter Bristol. But the actress behind that character, who herself has Down syndrome, thinks the Palins need to lighten up.

In the episode, the girl goes on a date with the recurring character Chris, telling him that her mother is "the former governor of Alaska." Palin, whose son Trig has Down syndrome, called the creators of the Fox comedy "cruel, cold-hearted people." Bristol Palin said they were "heartless jerks."

Andrea Fay Friedman, the actress who gave the animated character her voice, told the New York Times that she was amused by the episode.

By Rachel Weiner  |  February 19, 2010; 3:20 PM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama offers a sort-of apology to Las Vegas
Next: Obama: Vegas remark 'wasn't meant to be a shot'

Comments

Rockmomminoff:

Obviously (read any of my posts on this thread) I disagree with your opinions.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 25, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

The apology should go to Andrea Fay Friedman for the offensive comments Ms. Palin and Bill O'Rielly made about her having down syndrome as if she didn't have any right to portray a character with down syndrome. The song was stupid,I agree. If anyone laughed at that song they are a moron. But that's Family Guy. Thankfully, Seth did not make having DS the joke.

Posted by: Rockmomminoff | February 24, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I don't mind "offensive" but, as you noted, we should draw the line at ridiculing children.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 24, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I am not one those people who believe that Seth should apologize or that Fox network should ban all future airings of this episode. Seth has a right to make his cartoon show and I support his right even if he does something I find unfunny or offensive. I enjoy my right to, in my small way, satirize his use of a cartoon show to promote a left wing agenda. Part of living in a free society is that you will find yourself offended by something someone says or does or believes. When that happens, it’s a blessing because it reaffirms the rights we have in America. Too many people nowadays are self righteous bores, either being offended themselves or afraid that someone may be offended. When they find an affront to their values or beliefs, they become indignant or angry like characters in some weird modern morality play. Being offended is wonderful! We should learn to revel in being offended and celebrate offensiveness. It is the heart and soul of being an American.

But leave the kids out of it. Kids deserve better than this.

Posted by: PresidentSuit | February 24, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

It was great to see a person with Down syndrome portrayed as so domineering. I thought the line in question helped define the character's personality by showing she could lie in order to put on airs with such ease and I thought the contrast of this characterization with the pervasive one of people with Down syndrome as super-sweet and very passive made it smart and funny. Of course the character did not represent Trig, she was a teenage girl who looked like the actress voicing her. Anyone assuming it did represent Trig does him a disservice by letting his Down syndrome be the sum of his identity.

Posted by: J-bloggy | February 24, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Correction:

I meant to say that it's another HINT that this family is hankering for the spotlight.

Even though Bristol wants to do some good, she and her mother have to recognize that the more they're on the air, the more criticism they invite. It's just a fact of public life.

Posted by: EdgewoodVA | February 23, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Hmm. Now Bristol's going to be on TV herself, with a starring guest spot on "Secret Life of the American Teenager?"

Regardless of her intentions, it's just hankering for the spotlight.

What's next? Gala event gate-crashing? Tales of Tripp allegedly drifting away on a homemade hang glider? Oooh--how about their own reality show--wait, is this the daughter of the same woman who said a couple of years ago, "We ask the media to respect our daughter and Levi's privacy..."

I suppose in a few months' time, Sarah Wearin'-Thin will come up with a new sob story about how her family or people like them are being cast in an unflattering light.

Posted by: EdgewoodVA | February 23, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Are you the same people who insisted that Letterman was not "making fun" of Gov. Palin's daughter either, only A-Rod?

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 23, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Actually, they are making fun of the girl (who DID hug Stewie too hard) as a substitute for Trig Palin. Not sure why you people can't just admit as much.

I am "chill", but I am not in "love" with Gov. Palin, nor do I want to squeese [SIC] her tight and give her a teddie beear [SIC].

Does anyone else want to intelligently discuss the topic?

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 23, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

1) They are making fun of the girl, not her DS. None of those thing have anything to do wtih DS. In your mind, maybe. My mind. Not.
2)Yep, I read the lyrics. And it draws
that line between what was offensive/acceptable right there. Had they had her acting like Simple Jack, for example, that would have been crossing the line.

chill man. the news cycle is over. there's this guy in virgina who said down syndrome is a punishment from god. go after him because that;s pretty offensive to all kids with ds.

this is like NOT NEWS and Palin's gonna be on LENO. You can video tape her b/c i know you love her so much you wanna squeese her tight and give her a teddie beear...

Posted by: affectionatelyours | February 23, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

affectionatelyours (here are my questions to you one last time):

1) Really?! Making fun of how hard she hugs people, bunnies, Teddy bears, etc. is a "great service"?

2) Did you read the "Down Syndrome Girl" song lyrics I posted below?

To answer your questions to me, I do "believe" that one brother (Stewie) was singing the song to his brother (Chris), right before the big dance number in fact, but earlier Ellen hugged Stewie, who made the comment about bunnies. The Teddy bear hug and lyrics about a "vice" was only during the song. Yes, she figures out he's a jerk, but she is more of one, and he ends up calling her an "@sshole". Maybe if you knew what you were talking about, we could have a rationale discussion on the subject.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 23, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

you are a piece of work here. the brother was singing the song to his brother about the girls hugging and stuff. you don't believe that, do you?

yep, the brothers are idiots fer sure. That's the Family Guy for ya.

The good thing is that the girl figures out he's a jerk. what didn't you get? about that scenerio you keep challenging people on, the difference is that incestuous rape is a crime. having down syndrome last time i looked it was not a crime to have down syndrome. a better scenerio would be the obama girls meeting up with the idiot brothers from family guy at a bowling alley and the girls say something like "my dad is the president of the united states and he's a champion bowler in special olympics."

be cool man. chill. Palins can fight their own battles.

Posted by: affectionatelyours | February 22, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

jbirdisaturd (you didn't answer my previous question to you):

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 22, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

affectionatelyours:

Really?! Making fun of how hard she hugs people, bunnies, Teddy bears, etc. is a "great service"? I would never have guessed that one either. You guys sure have lots of excuses for the "Family Guy" (the short clip in this article is nothing compared to the worst parts. Did you read the "Down Syndrome Girl" song lyrics I posted below? The closest they ever got to treating everyone as equals was when Chris calls them all "@ssholes".

jbirdisaturd:

Which question of yours do you feel I didn't answer? You asked for the Constitutional law re: limits on free speech, and I gave you one of the more important Supreme Court cases in that regard. Did you read that case? What more do you want?

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 22, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Palins owe Andrea & her family & every family in the world for their sappy little pity party and stealing the spotlight from Andrea. She did a great service to kids with DS by not portraying IT in a way that could have brought REAL hurt and offense.

Posted by: affectionatelyours | February 22, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I find anybody who is happy and shows it tends to inflict "emotional distress" (wow JAKE, thats a pretty wimpy liberal sounding phrase, huh?)on "conservatives".

Posted by: jbirdisaturd | February 22, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

we are all monkeys, and evolution IS FACT and there is no god. Jake, answer the question! I to have my silly prejudices, but mine tend to be based on those who would decieve us not two young girls whose dad is POTUS.

Posted by: jbirdisaturd | February 22, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Thankfully there is no Constitutional right to intentionally inflict emotional distress either.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 22, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

The voice actress has DS? BAM!

Thankfully there is no constitutional right to not be offended.

Posted by: trident420 | February 22, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Would an underaged-incestuous rape and pregnancy of Meg (by anatomically-correct "cartoon" Peter and/or Chris, might as well throw Brian, Sasha and Malia in there to piss off the ASPCA too) be "off-limits"? If not, thankfully, at least the FCC would disagree with you.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 22, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Schenck v. United States, 249 U.S. 47 (1919)

Thank you for confirming, however, your side's "logic" means that two monkeys named Sasha and Malia should not be "off limits" either. I could keep going until I find something that even you would agree is.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 22, 2010 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Free speech has limits, huh? Please direct me to where I can find those limits prescribed in the constitution, Jake. I believe that when the Jakes of the world take away somebodys right to say something he also takes away my right to HEAR it.

Posted by: jbirdisaturd | February 22, 2010 2:27 AM | Report abuse

I think I concur with sagwanightnightlittlekitty when he points out that for the writers of 'family guy', there are no off limits targets. So for people with mental disabilities to be mocked means that they are seen as targets every bit as ripe as the rest of us. Some of the attacks are silly on this thread, but I do not understand JakeD2 when he insists we stay on topic. Avoidance of discussion in those areas where your ideology is crippled just magnifies those deficiencies.

Posted by: jbirdisaturd | February 22, 2010 2:16 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else?

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 21, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

zzzziiiinnnnnnnnnggggggggg!!

Posted by: sagwanightnightlittlekitty | February 21, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Jake D2: You claim to be concerned greatly about the DS community being treated as equals. You theorize about some fantastically justified litigation to silence a TV program that as far as I can tell makes fun of everybody under the sun, because they...gasp!...made fun of the DS community. You claim particularly that the joke about hugging so hard is somehow objectionable, when it is merely a mockery of the characters personality trait, not the strange assymetry of her countenance or something more typical of the vile things people CAN say about DS folks. You fall victim to sagwanightnightlittlekittys overt and juvenile provocation, and yet he/she has noticed something: are you a true conservative? I thought you would be remiss to propose a lawsuit as the answer, but then, you probably work as a hospital officer at some not for profit center that sues hundred of the working poor weekly whilst you golf and chortle to your mates about the need for "tort reform". Your willingness to disregard the question posed by sagwa in reference to article 1 section 8 shows just how strictly constructed you "conservatives" really are. Look up welfare, my friend. just because you say the term doesn't mean food stamps, then what does it mean? Farm subsidies to Con-Agra? Billions funnele directly to aerospace companies for obsolete planes?

Posted by: sagwanightnightlittlekitty | February 21, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

blutto2930:

Let me know if you saw my questions.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 21, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Jake, If the writers made the character Ellen do all those idiotic things that were sung in the song, THEN you would have a pretty strong case about people making fun of DS.

As it turns out, the character Ellen wasn't anything like his brother had told him in the song (while they were getting ready...)

Jake, if Sarah actually understood satire we wouldn't be here.

Posted by: ElisabethsMom | February 21, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Funny how satire is like a glass where people can see everyone else's face but their own.

Posted by: ElisabethsMom | February 21, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Really?! Making fun of how hard she hugs people, bunnies, Teddy bears, etc. is "treat[ing] those with mental disabilties as equals"? I would never have guessed that one. The closest they got to treating everyone as equals was when Chris calls them all "@ssholes".

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 21, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I saw that episode and, I'll admit, I was also offended by the joke, at first, anyway. I could see how a swipe at Sarah Palin in this way was way too "low". However, over the next couple of days I re-watched the episode a few times on-line and I have a different opinion now.
The girl character on the show was bright, fairly articulate and successful in her own life. She was independent in her actions and decisions. Heck, she even broke up with Chris! In other words, she was what any parent with a down syndrome child would want that child to turn out like.
I know at least three people suffering from down's syndrome and, trust me, they do not do as well with their condition as that girl did.
I know that this is one of those "on the line" jokes, in terms of good taste, but after examining it does not cross that line. In its way it is kind of groundbreaking, a comedy show that treats those with mental disabilties as equals, not as people that need to be hidden away, or ignored... or a cause for offense.

Posted by: blutto2930 | February 21, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else want to discuss the topic without casting aspersions as to my mental health?

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 21, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Anyone feeling so victimized or stigmitized over a cartoon of a girl with DS is in need for some serious therapy.

Posted by: ElisabethsMom | February 21, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

P.S. Intentional infliction of emotional distress is NOT a gift from God.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 21, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I don't find DS "offensive". I also do not want babies with DS aborted. The Palins and I are not the only ones who thought "Family Guy" was making fun of Trig Palin:

If anyone else has questions for me (as long as you answer my questions in a civil manner), please let me know.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 21, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Ooops. I meant to say that people who found Family Guy offensive to people with DS are people who find DS offensive.

The Palins like so many other people have this archaic belief (a backward notion) that kids with DS are victims or innocents and "less fortunate."

Yes, obviously we should show compassion about how they portrayed on television or in the movies to not mock them.

So does that mean we exclude them from being a presence on television, movies, and plays?

If you thought Ellen was offensive, then sorry Jake, you've drawn a very personal line somewhere between your ignorance about disability labels and reality.

I think Andrea did a terrific job with giving Ellen her interpretation of DS.

Posted by: ElisabethsMom | February 21, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Jake, What is that quote about satire? It's on quote of week for dummies.

It goes like this:

Satire is like a glass where everyone can see everyone's face except their own.

People who found Family Guy offensive to people are the people who find DS offensive.

Satire is a gift from God. Happy Sabbath.

Posted by: ElisabethsMom | February 21, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Once they identify themselves as unwilling to engage in civil discussion, just move on. It's usually "off topic" anyway. I'm only here to set the record straight for lurkers. The Palin haters aren't worth the effort.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 21, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

there's a prime example: because she listens to GaGa, she knows some stranger is smarter than another stranger!

Posted by: DCampbell2 | February 21, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I think it's funny how someone with just a high school education (if that) calls people with a college education stupid. Palin, Bush, and others worked their way up to whatever status they earned. besides the burden you put on your mom & dad, what have you done? Ill tell you what I think is retarded- saying how you hate all these politicians and "the man" is holding you down & all that hippie crap, then you turn around and vote people in office that want to make the government have more control over your life and choices.

was it the guy on welfares foodstamps that paid for Obama's campaign? or was it the lobbyist of big pharm. millions of $ or the bank ceo's millions of $ that paid for his campaign?

Posted by: DCampbell2 | February 21, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Jake you are obviously obsessed with mrs palins come hither sexuality, if the woman looked like margaret thatcher neither you or I would know who she is. I on the other hand love me some Ga Ga, (when your momma is not around) who I know is smarter and way more charismatic than sarah!

Posted by: sagwanightnightlittlekitty | February 21, 2010 1:19 AM | Report abuse

sagwanightnightlittlekitty:

I can see you aren't interested in actually discussing the issues.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 21, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

It would take a real retard to think that a cartoon featuring a teenage girl with Down Syndrome was making fun of a toddler boy with Down Syndrome.

The show was making fun of a true retard: Sarah Palin. In fact, I'd call her an effing retard. She has the brains of a loaf of french bread.

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | February 21, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Trig Palin is not a retard.

Sarah Palin is a retard.

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | February 21, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

ElisabethsMom:

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 20, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

You all need to lay off of Jake he is over here with me at the house making up for his display of pseudo-intellectual neo-racism by rubbing my feet and freshening the water in his mommas dish.

Posted by: sagwanightnightlittlekitty | February 20, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

jake: still waiting for an answer. your rambling BS about the meaning of "general welfare" in 1787 notwithstanding, we decided the states rights VS. federal powers issue sometime a couple of centuries ago. As for the battlefield of ideas, are you one of those idiot conservatives who is pro gun yet anti-drug? since you adore semantics, why is it that you retards say "guns dont kill people..people kill people" yet if you change the word guns to drugs the rugged individualist run for cover. If I have mis-applied this specious assumption to you then I apologize, but since you defend Palin I will never apologize for calling you a nincompoop and a retard. Do you see the distinction? Both Bushes were failures, Palin is plain and dumb and a quitter, Romney picks fights with rappers on airplanes and the remainder chase after congressional pages of the same sex or try to pick up men in airport restrooms. I'M OUT YOU KNOW I BLAZED YOU JAKE YOU MOUTH BREATHER!

Posted by: sagwanightnightlittlekitty | February 20, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

This is the same JakeD who loves to use stuttering as a punchline. JakeD, you are beyond belief. But thanks for putting your vile racism on the record for everyone to see.

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | February 20, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

LOL lawsuit? JakeD you are truly daft. But let me guess, you are a big supporter of "tort reform."

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | February 20, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Is this your fantasy Family Guy show? To make fun of 2 little girls and compare them to monkeys?

The episode in question, Trig was not being compared to a girl with DS, was he?

Posted by: ElisabethsMom | February 20, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Again, if this episode of "Family Guy" is acceptable, then so is one on Sasha and Malia (they can say that the "monkey" is no reference to African-Anericans because there already is an Evil Monkey in the closet ; )

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 20, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

That's not going to matter in the lawsuit.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 20, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

PopeII:

"Trig Palin did not put himself in the public eye."

You're absolutely right. His MOM did.

Posted by: EdgewoodVA | February 20, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

To counter Ms. Friedman's "guess" that Gov. Palin does not have a sense of humor:

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 20, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

ElisabethsMom:

You keep using that word "clearly". I do not think it means what you think it means. I linked to someone else who thought they were making fun of DS too. Did you read that?

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 20, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Jake, clearly you have a personal stake in all this and I'm sorry if you are offended. But do you understand our children with disability labels are only "less fortunate" if we raise them to be less? Kids with DS are not "less fortunate." If you found offense with Ellen or the show than clearly you don't feel comfortable watching a person or cartoon portraying somebody who has DS.

No one was laughing at the DS, why were you? No one was making fun of DS, why did you think anyone was making fun of DS?

Do you realize that every time you come online you are actually telling the world that you think that having DS is bad thing and people who have DS are "less fortunate?"

People are only "less fortunate" when people like you prevent them from being "more" than their disability.

The character Ellen was more than her disability. Why can you only see her disability?
I

Posted by: ElisabethsMom | February 20, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I

Posted by: ElisabethsMom | February 20, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

What happened to sagwanightnightlittlekitty "meet[ing] me on the idea battlefield"?

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 20, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

At least one other person thought "Family Guy" was making fun of Trig Palin:

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 20, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

In addition to forcing MacFarline to appear in Alaska, the lawsuit should also name anyone involved in producing, writing, and directing this episode: Lolee Aries, David A. Goodman, Chris Sheridan, Danny Smith, Mark Hentemann, Steve Callaghan, Alec Sulkin, Wellesley Wild, Brian Scully, Patrick Meighan, Cherry Chevapratdumrong (assuming that's a real person), John Viener, Shannon Smith, Tom Devanney, Gary Janetti, Peter Shin, James Purdum, Daniel Palladino, David Zuckerman, Kara Vallow, John Walts, Rick Mackenzie, Mike Elias, and John Holmquist.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 20, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

EdgewoodVA:

Trig Palin did not put himself in the public eye.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 20, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I am a fan of Family Guy and also Sarah Palin. No one is spared on this particular TV show...yes, we all need to lighten up. On the other hand the hatred for this woman is as strong as the hatred for George W. Sarah is a woman who should be admired for her accomplishments as a mother and a wowan....Please LET'S ALL LIGHTEN UP.

Posted by: jopdine | February 20, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

PopeII says:

"To turn around and say Palin has no sense of humor is a typical immature liberal trick, mock you and then say you have no sense of humor. Hopefully, one day liberals will grow up and become responsible and mature conservatives!"

I prefer the "immature liberal trick" to the Republican penchant for mocking you and then saying you're exaggerating everything, you're too thin-skinned (sound familiar, Sarah?), and/or you deserve to go to hell. Is it better for conservatives to worship someone like Limbaugh as "mature" in spite of the fact that spreads all sorts of rants based on complete B.S. but presents himself as a fountain of truth? Not at all mature, and entirely irresponsible.

As many others have said here, Family Guy lampoons everyone--including some of the conservatives' favorite targets like the Clintons--and that's cool with me because it often reminds me to laugh at myself rather than bathe in misery and self-pity.

The people who put Family Guy on the air often put outrageous material into the show; some of it is astute observation--an examination of reality--and some of it is and examination of absurdity.

To Sarah supposedly taking this episode so very seriously, I say: once you put yourself in the public eye, for better, worse, or anywhere in between, you are fair game for a merciless media and a nation that loves spectacle. Suck it up, and spare me your false, pouty-faced outrage.

Posted by: EdgewoodVA | February 20, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, though, we all know why the "former governor of Alaska" bit was thrown in there. Whether you want to admit it or not, Mr. McFarlaine crossed the same line you would be outraged about if he crossed re: Sasha and Malia. You Obamaniacs would be screaming BOYCOTT FOX! in a heartbeat.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 20, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Sarah and Todd Palin should file a lawsuit on behalf of Trig (in Alaska) so we can settle, once and for all, whether the "Family Guy" episode in question was making fun of Trig or not. Free speech has limits.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 20, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

And, on top of that, if they get an African-American to do the voice-over, no harm no foul.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 20, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Very few people have a "sense of humor" when it's their children being attacked or even remotly "parodied". Try it sometime, Weiner-girl. Had any WEINERS lately? LOL?

Posted by: kenek | February 20, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

ThePopeII:

If this episode of "Family Guy" is acceptable, then so is one on Sasha and Malia (they can say that the "monkey" is no reference to African-Anericans because there already is an Evil Monkey in the closet ; )

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 20, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

ElisabethsMom said:

"How dare anyone accuse any person who watched the show of laughing at disability.

We are laughing at people's ignorance about DS."

Wow, that is the biggest load of BS I ever heard. You mean to tell me that family guy fans, most of whom hate Sarah Palin, were "laughing at people's ignorance about DS" Give me a break. You can't just make up any old excuse and expect it to be true. Family Guy intentionally insulted Sarah Palin because they hate her. They know it, and they used a woman with DS, so they could say "look, a woman with DS was in on the joke, therefore you can't say it was offensive"..even though it was targeted at Palin, whom they hate!

Posted by: ThePopeII | February 20, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

ElisabethsMom:

Yeah, yeah, and David Letterman was not "making fun" of Gov. Palin's daughter either, only A-Rod. We've heard that excuse before.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 20, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Wow Jake, I'm impressed you did some research. Now we can have a real discussion here. You do realize this has nothing to do with offending the community of people with disability labels and everything with how we are "perceived."

We are not "innocents" and we are "less fortunate." We do not need sympathy. We need legislation to protect our rights to the same liberties as you.

Sarah Palin is the most dangerous person on the planet because she knows how to lynch people and ideas over something we have absolutely no control over.

Freedom of speech.

She took the one thing that drives parents and advocates crazy but we have no control over and started lynching and burning the barn down. That's what she does.

That's what she's good at and that's why no one in the GOP leadership is shutting her down. They love it. She's pandering to a group they need to get their people in office.

The episode is not about a girl with DS. It's about a girl who goes out on a date. If the DS is an issue to you, maybe you don't feel comfortable with the way DS looks. But that's your problem.

Jake, they weren't making fun of DS. They were making fun of people like you who take offense to disability.

There is nothing funny about disability only the attitudes we have about it.

And that's where Sarah comes in. She took full advantage of the stage to victimize herself because she wants sympathy and she still hasn't accepted her son's DS. She goes on how "perfect" he is in one breath but then calls him "less fortunate?"

Lots of people go through all kind of emotional changes dealing with disability. But lynching Rahm or using her son's disability to make herself look like a victim is not the road to real advocacy, Jake.

She needs to put down her stone and quit slinging the mud b/c the only person she's hurting is Trig.

Trig is beautiful. We love Trig. How dare anyone accuse any person who watched the show of laughing at disability.

We are laughing at people's ignorance about DS.

Posted by: ElisabethsMom | February 20, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Freedom of speech.

There is nothing funny about disability only the attitudes we have about it.

We are laughing at people's ignorance about DS.

Posted by: ElisabethsMom | February 20, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

It makes sense that family guy used a woman with DS for the joke, because they clearly knew she would be a shield against the inevitable critism. The fact is, the joke was intended to be offensive to Palin and her son, and liberals know it. To turn around and say Palin has no sense of humor is a typical immature liberal trick, mock you and then say you have no sense of humor. Hopefully, one day liberals will grow up and become responsible and mature conservatives!

Posted by: ThePopeII | February 20, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Hawaiian_Gecko:

All bets are off now. Let's hear some of the funniest ones.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 20, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

BlueDog1:

Let's remember that this episode of "Family Guy" was taped BEFORE the Rahm retard controversy you are trying to link it to was even commented on by Gov. Palin. As one of her supporters, I think she owes no apology, so the answer to your "when" question is NEVER.

sagwanightnightlittlekitty:

Note that you did not ask me the original question. Nevertheless, as long as you answer all of my questions to you, in a civil manner, I will always return the same courtesy. "General welfare" was much more limited in 1787, and (obviously) did not include anything referred to was government "welfare" added later. As used in the Constitution, it was a catch-all phrase in the Preamble to include anything else SPECIFICALLY delegated to the federal government therein besides "common defense" etc. I am simply making the argument that what we consider as government "welfare" today was not delegated to the Feds, which is why I oppose Obamacare on the federal level but support the right of Massachusetts to implement the same thing on the State level. Do you see the distinction?

While we are well off-topic, allow me to illustrate how specific the phrase "general welfare" was used back then. Thomas Jefferson explains the general clause for the United States “[T]he laying of taxes is the power, and the general welfare the purpose for which the power is to be exercised. They [Congress] are not to lay taxes ad libitum for any purpose they please; but only to pay the debts or provide for the welfare of the Union. In like manner, they are not to do anything they please to provide for the general welfare, but only to lay taxes for that purpose.”

P.S. to those who think I am a "racist" (setting aside the prohibited ad hominem personal attacks for the moment), why is my hypothetical "Family Guy" episode so offensive, but this real episode isn't (you haven't even heard the "Monkey Girl" song yet)?

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 20, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

If Sarah Palin had the ability to recognize satire, she wouldn't still be around -she would have packed what little dignity she has left and gone back to the trailer park.

Posted by: joneshn | February 20, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

I have a son with cerebal Palsy, though he is a slow learner in most areas, thank God a portion of his mental process is normal. He can do many things normal - it just takes a little longer to learn (website development, MS OFFICE.....) and many things he mentally cannot do normal. I put high expectations on things that he can and should do in the normal category. When he does not meet my expectations in the normal category I have no problem calling him an "FN idiot." However, in my world of hypocrosy, if you call him an "FN idiot," I would beat the livin #$% out of you. So though I can't stand Palin, I somewhat see where she is coming from. She took it personal. However, I have a sense of humor, and if it were my son and I on that episode, I would be rolling on the floor. Whenever I see a minority, whenever I see a person with disabilities in the media excel a smile and a sense of pride comes over me. Especially, now knowing the character is based on a real woman with DS, Palin should be proud and hope her son can excel as well as that actress did who did the voice over.

Posted by: anguyen201 | February 20, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

ThePopeII, It really sucks to bbe you. It reallllly sucks.

Posted by: swatkins1 | February 20, 2010 7:01 AM | Report abuse

Too bad Rush Limbaugh isn't one of the writers. He can mock anyone, whether those with mental problems or Parkinson's, and still have people kiss his butt.

Posted by: Sutter | February 20, 2010 6:25 AM | Report abuse

Let's remember how this started. Palin took it upon herself as America's Mommy to chastise Rahm Emanuel for something he said in private months earlier. She publicly called for him to be fired (because she's so important and all). Emanuel did apologize and agreed to help advocates. But when Rush Limbaugh made his comments(clearly not satirical if you're not a dittohead) Palin very cravenly defended them as satire because she agreed with him that "liberals are kooks." What a coward she is.

So who's missing a moral compass here? She's a flaming, full-blown hypocrite. She's proved it a thousand times. The cartoon baited her with satire, knowing full well she couldn't resist another poutrage and would demonstrate her hypocrisy yet again.

Of course, Limbaugh is a serial offender, but we can expect that from someone who would mock Michael Fox. In 2000, the organization ARC and others wrote to Limbaugh and his corporate honchos to protest his abuse of the word in question on the air. From one of the letters:

"If you are unfamiliar with the episode to which I refer, Mr. Limbaugh, in an attempt at humor, referred to labor unions taking a 'van load full of retards' to register to vote and that Al Gore had 'locked up the retard vote.'"

You can find those letters here: http://www.thearclink.org/

So I ask Mrs. Palin and her supporters: When will you take Mr. Limbaugh to task and demand an apology? Until then, you'll be regarded as nothing but politically exploitive, incredibly hypocritical, heartless jerks who would say and do anything to advance your pathetic agenda.

Posted by: BlueDog1 | February 20, 2010 4:37 AM | Report abuse

I just never liked the show. Don't know why others do but there you have it...different points of view.

Would I make fun of Palin? Nope. Everything said about her to put her down are straight up lies, explained by half truths.

Would I make fun of a child with Downs? Nope.
Everything said about them are lies built around half truths.

But it won't stop the people who do enjoy taking half truths to make fun of people.

Posted by: letscheck | February 20, 2010 3:02 AM | Report abuse

SPOILER ALERT: In the end, Seth McFarlaine's ratings are MUCH more important than Sarah Palin's political future, so the "real" victim makes a surprise appearance in the final act to prop up Seth's cred at Palin's expense.

Stay tuned for our next episode of "Dupe The Public".

Seriously folks, go watch "Network" again, and again if you have to, let it sink in.

Posted by: frantaylor | February 20, 2010 2:46 AM | Report abuse

Rupert Murdoch is your puppetmaster for tonight's presentation. Seth McFarlaine is playing the role of "jerk" and Sarah Palin is playing the role of "ditz". Try to ignore the strings, and please purchase some Simpsons souvenirs in the lobby. Fox theatres thanks you for attending today's show.

Posted by: frantaylor | February 20, 2010 2:37 AM | Report abuse

A sense of humor isn't the only thing Sarah Palin lacks. But wait a minute, Family Guy is a Fox production and Sarah Palin is on Fox's payroll. I know maybe she could do voice overs for Family Guy, and then again maybe not. Her hostile attitude might kill The Family Guy's ratings.

Posted by: sunrise2 | February 20, 2010 2:30 AM | Report abuse

Jake D2 must be one of the white people who are deathly afraid of black people. He probably has panic moments if he pulls into a parking garage and it is staffed by blacks. He probably breaks into a cold sweat, poops himself a tad and races off to continue trying to park his car in a handicapped space. He also needs to get laid...I grew up on food stamps but still got plenty of attention from the opposite sex, but then I've always been a man of the people unlike Jake D2.

Posted by: sagwanightnightlittlekitty | February 20, 2010 2:24 AM | Report abuse

what did welfare mean in 1787? I never mentioned food stamps, and you didn't answer my question. I'll play along with the game, though. Do away with food stamps, then we can decide what the phrase..."..a well regulated militia.." means in modern parlance. conservatives are so ill equipped to meet me on the idea battlefield.

Posted by: sagwanightnightlittlekitty | February 20, 2010 2:18 AM | Report abuse

'Family Guy' actress says Palin has no sense of humor.....

...in addition to having no sense of decency....
and no common sense.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 20, 2010 2:08 AM | Report abuse

sagwanightnightlittlekitty:

"General welfare" in 1787 did not mean food stamps.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 20, 2010 1:41 AM | Report abuse

Interesting. In a sense, it's worse to make a condition unmentionable. I think it's great when we can laugh about our differences, because it indicates that we're secure and we've accepted who we are. I applaud Friedman for her ability to see that we're all weird in our own different ways. I wish other people were so at peace with who they are.

Posted by: jeffwacker | February 20, 2010 1:37 AM | Report abuse

Fox TV generates controversy for Fox News to cover, and they try to blame it on liberals. Only the foolish are fooled by it.

Posted by: TigerPaw1 | February 20, 2010 1:34 AM | Report abuse

hey pope 2 stop crying about being insulted and answer my question, please. (I thought it was the bastion of liberals to claim they've been "insulted" or "offended", not rugged individuals like pope 2 and Ronald Reagan) Please tell me what article 1 section 8 means when it says congress may enact laws to provide for the general welfare of the US?

Posted by: sagwanightnightlittlekitty | February 20, 2010 1:08 AM | Report abuse

I don't remember ANY candidate EVER in ANY campaign exploiting family the way Ms. Palin did during her VP run. I thought she tossed her son Trig around like a sack of potatoes. It's fine for her to say, "No, I don't want the retarded baby--I want the other one," but God forbid anyone else should use the "R" word. I doubt Ms. Palin's ever seen an entire episode of Family Guy. At least she's doing what she does best....making rambling, non-sensical speeches for adoring fans...and given up any pretense of being a good mother.
And JakeD2...you are indeed racist.

Posted by: tomgil | February 20, 2010 1:06 AM | Report abuse

that means you pope 2.

Posted by: sagwanightnightlittlekitty | February 20, 2010 1:00 AM | Report abuse

again...article 1 section 8. The Constitution. look it up. Republicans heart insurance companies 4-ever.

Posted by: sagwanightnightlittlekitty | February 20, 2010 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Another funny thing with liberals, is that after they blatantly insult you, when you naturally get offended, they always say, they were using "sarcasm" and act like you are an idiot for not realizing it. So they actually insult you twice, and in a liberals mind, insulting and belittling others is much more important than being a decent human being.

Posted by: ThePopeII | February 20, 2010 12:51 AM | Report abuse

I think we should ban the word retard and just start referring to all the mooks and mentally handicapped folks as republicans.

Posted by: sagwanightnightlittlekitty | February 20, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

" I guess former Governor Palin does not have a sense of humor. I thought the line "I am the daughter of the former governor of Alaska" was very funny. I think the word is "sarcasm."

In my family we think laughing is good. My parents raised me to have a sense of humor and to live a normal life."

+++

I have a whole repertoire of old Negro, Pollock, Jewish, Italian, Irish, farmer & other group jokes that are funny. Does this mean I can regain my sense of humor and live a normal life again?

+++

Posted by: Hawaiian_Gecko | February 20, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

I hope the GOP runs sarah in 2012. To all you conservative nincompoops out there, if obamacare or for that matter any "entitlement" is unconstitutional as the teabaggers say, will one of you please explain what the line in article 1 section 8 means.."to provide for the general welfare of the united states.."? Cut and dry, huh?

Posted by: sagwanightnightlittlekitty | February 20, 2010 12:29 AM | Report abuse

TO:JakeD2

The show portrayed a down syndrome woman as a down syndrome woman played by an actress who has down syndrome - how on earth could have possibly come up with the show portraying Obama's daughters as monkeys as an analogy?

You sick minded racist

Posted by: opentoit | February 20, 2010 12:27 AM | Report abuse

palin writes "tax cuts" on her palm. This is like osama bin laden having "kill americans" written on his palm. Wait, he is a true man of letters and can probably discuss any subject in an educated and even erudite fasion, so he probably goes without notes or a teleprompter.

Posted by: sagwanightnightlittlekitty | February 20, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

This is truly a sick trick by the liberal media. Have a woman with Down Syndrome insult Palin, and make Palin look like a fool if she tries to defend herself. The fact of the matter is, Andrea's "loaf of bread" comment was rude and out of line, Down Syndrome or not. Trig is a toddler, of course she is going to carry him around. And exactly why was the joke "funny"? Did dimwitted family guy fans think "oh, she has down syndrome and so does Sarah Palin's son, thats so hilarious"??? The joke was either offensive or not funny, "funny" is not even one of the options.

Posted by: ThePopeII | February 20, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

I can't wait for Sarah Palin to attack this actress with down syndrome, for being insensitive to people with down syndrome.
Seriously, I can't wait.

Posted by: jeffc6578 | February 19, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

I am amazed that you did not include the most revealing "loaf of French bread" line. Palin is a fraud and a hypocrite and her Tea Party "palm reading" and this will not go unnoticed. Why did you miss this completely? Who wrote the article? Shame on your editor for letting it go out like this.

Posted by: fotocmb | February 19, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

ly_ni:

Would you be fine if Family Guy portrayed Obama's two little girls as monkeys?

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

For anyone who really thinks saying the Down syndrome character has a "pretty face" is a compliment, please read the rest of that sentence re: a "special person’s wettest dream".

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

For those who think family guy is a waste of time... they are going to have to get over it. its on tv and its not going anywhere anytime soon. its too popular. I admit its bad for children but they are going to notice it. You can hide it all you want to but your kids' friends are going to mention it. Palin is just trying to get attention that she is not getting. She is crying over something worthless. That is not the way to handle this situation!!!

Posted by: ly_ni_quedupree | February 19, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

This show makes fun of all races, celebrities, and historic events. No one takes it literally. Thats what makes it funny. What makes Palin so different from the rest of us that were joked!!!

Posted by: ly_ni_quedupree | February 19, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Palin and Family Guy splash in the crapper for the same reason: They think they're ten times smarter than they really are, when they're both short on brains and rich on lame cultural references. The world will be a better place when they're both canceled.

Posted by: blackcatpr2020 | February 19, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

tboner2:

I'm retired with plenty of time to waste watching tv.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

id also like to point out that liberals have this visceral hatred of any perceived republican figurehead. instead of whining about people not giving obama a chance or "hoping for him to fail" take a little time out for introspection. These EXTREME anti-palin posts are completely baseless. you disagree with the woman's politics, FINE. Grow up.

Posted by: batigol85 | February 19, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Are you adults really wasting your time watching this crap on tv?? I hope the children watching don't get any ideas about how to be disrespectful to others..

Posted by: tboner2 | February 19, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

family guy is funny and takes tasteless shots often, this being a prime example. The joke wasn't even funny, the delivery was crap, etc. The only thing i see as wrong here, though, is Andrea's response. No way sarah palin or any of you hypocrites would have been fine with that had you been in her shoes and to criticize her so strongly for taking offense betrays the underlying reason behind the joke. Which only reaffirms palins position.

Posted by: batigol85 | February 19, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

md_gop:

All bets are off re: Sasha and Malia.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin should be outraged when remarks about retards are made, as she is RETARDED.

Posted by: fhill123 | February 19, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

kare1:

I know you think it is heartless to point out that the Constitution dies not allow the federal government to mandate healthcare insurance for everyone, but that is a legitimate legal position.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Why are all the mainstream media publications leaving off the conclusion of Ms. Friedman's letter? Are you worried about repercussions?

Ms. Friedman concluded by saying:

"My mother did not carry me around under her arm like a loaf of French bread the way former Governor Palin carries her son Trig around looking for sympathy and votes." -- Andrea Fay Friedman

I think Friedman's political views, expressed in her letter, should not be subjectively omitted by news publications.

Posted by: cattieM | February 19, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Poking fun at a public figure is alright... in fact, it's almost warranted and necessary. However, to do so through their children is just wrong. When SNL did a skit with Mike Myers and Dana Carver as Wayne and Garth and poked fun at the Clinton's through their daughter, Chelsea... it was deemed inappropriate. Why not extend the courtesy to Gov. Palin, regardless of her policies.

Posted by: md_gop | February 19, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I find it hilarious that PALIN seems to care more for the DISABLEd and not at all about those children in this world without healthcare, healthy food, water, a good education or anything else.

If she is going to be an "Advocate" for the disabiled --- why does the disability have to be physican or mental.

Are not the poor children disabiled in their ability to get an education.
Are not the children without healthcare more prone to dying young from disease or violence.

PALIN DOESN'T CARE ABOUT ANYONE BUT HERSELF- like a true RETHUG

Posted by: kare1 | February 19, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

hitpoints:

That's not what I'm saying. I would be happy to answer your questions, just as soon as you name another Down Syndrome child of a former governor of Alaska. I'm not going to just answer all of your questions without the same common courtesy in return.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

To hell with Palin and her stupid family.

She just needs to literally or figuratively disappear: I do not care which she chooses. Just go away for good.

Posted by: misterbumbles | February 19, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Those of us with disabilities don't use them to define ourselves. Neither does Andrea, and I applaud her for doing what she loves. I also applaud the Family Guy writing staff for cleverly finding themselves a way to get free marketing!!! Brilliant.

Posted by: damascuspride04 | February 19, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Would you be fine if Family Guy portrayed Obama's two little girls as monkeys?

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

---

A straight out racist statement.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | February 19, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

It was SATIRE, get it?

Posted by: JRM2 | February 19, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

"Our children are not their disability. The character, Ellen, is not her disability label." - ElisabethsMom

I thoroughly agree, and find it odd that Sarah Palin named Trig after Down Syndrome. Did she think shortening Trisomy G into Trig was cute?

Posted by: hitpoints | February 19, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

"heebs" shortstory? really? what's THAT about?

Posted by: marcislindsay | February 19, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

There was NO JOKE about Trigg Palin in the show, and nobody made fun of someone with DS. The story was about a teen girl WITH DS who goes out on a date. She isn't portrayed badly at all, in fact she is feisty and a typical teen. Palin, once again, is looking for attention. Just to be clear: The comment regarding Family Guy and the 'kick in the gut' was supposedly from Bristol Palin, written on Sarah's OFFICIAL site on Facebook. It's obvious from the FB post that neither Sarah not Bristol actually saw the show in question, they jumped yet again to a 'conclusion' and grabbed (once again) the opportunity to play the victim. This is a well-known tactic of Palin's: paranoid OUTRAGE! at anything that she decides is about her. Then, she rants about it, calling it 'defending' (insert perceived insult here). http://archivist1000.blogspot.com/2010/02/dear-bristol.html

Posted by: Suzanne1000 | February 19, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

What's the matter Mrs. Palin, is the Family Guy not "satire" enough for you... maybe if Rush Limbaugh did the voiceover you would have laughed...give me a break! Please shut up, your nasally voice sounds like fingernails on a chalk board....

Posted by: mimo1 | February 19, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Jake2D states:
As for Andrea Friedman's statement, she has every right to do a voice-over that makes fun of herself or Down syndrome in general (or even to allege that Gov. Palin does not have a sense of humor). As I said, I draw the line when she crossed into attacking Trig. What's next, alleging that Trig doesn't have a sense of humor because he's too dumb to get the cool joke?

No one would even be talking about this if the Fox lawyers had simply deleted the "I am the daughter of the former governor of Alaska".

------

So you're saying it's ok to make fun of Down Syndrome, therein making fun of everyone who has Down Syndrome (and their families as well), just so long as the line "I'm the daughter of the former governor of Alaska" was omitted. Just so long as no Palin was insulted, it's ok.

That's what you just wrote.

You claim the show mocked DS. And you say it's ok to mock DS, but not the Palins.

It's very clear what you're offended by, and Down Syndrome has nothing to do with it. Your queen was attacked, and that's what you draw the line at. And that's the sum of it.

Posted by: hitpoints | February 19, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

No one is making fun of Trig. He's an adorable little boy. What does anyone see here that is making fun of kids with DS?

Exactly, what it that you see in this character of Ellen that makes fun of DS?

Is it the song? The song is about the expectation the guy has about going on a date with his DS girl.

As it turns out, the girl turns out to be like all the other girls.

Please don't offend our kids anymore with your inability to grasp that nobody is making fun of Trig or kids with DS because it diminishes their dignity and value in the world.

Posted by: ElisabethsMom | February 19, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Exactly, what it that you see in this character of Ellen that makes fun of DS?

As it turns out, the girl turns out to be like all the other girls.

Posted by: ElisabethsMom | February 19, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Jake, Please quit trivializing the lives of our children with disability with your opinion and view of Family Guy.

The joke is actually on the people who still own these archaic and insane stereotypes of our children.

Posted by: ElisabethsMom | February 19, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ElisabethsMom | February 19, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

OK, I must be mistaken then, and no one ever intended any slight to Sarah Palin (directly) or Trig Palin (to get to Sarah Palin indirectly). Thanks for setting me straight, everyone.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

They referenced Down Syndrome and Palin, but there was no bashing of either one. If anything, the lesson learned was that people with DS, for good or bad, are just like everybody else. I have to say it was one of the tamest episodes they've had.

But Palin the barracuda wants you to get all riled up and defend her honor because she likes to play the victim and wants her name in the spotlight.

Posted by: sarahabc | February 19, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Jake2D asks: Of course, it's "funny" when it isn't your child. Could ANYONE actually answer these questions (rather than denying it made fun of Trig Palin)?

1) If your child had Down syndrome and a random person came up to you and started talking funny and acting like they had Down syndrome and acting like they were your child - would you be angry?

2) Do people think Sarah should have watched the show and laughed as they made fun of the mental illness of her child?

-------

First - IT DIDN'T MAKE FUN OF TRIG. Even DS parents are saying it didn't. Point to something that made fun of Trig on the show. That Trig is a teenage girl? That Trig is popular? That Trig is well-spoken? Assertive?

To your questions:

1. If random person came up to me and my DS child, they talked funny, and it turned out they talked funny BECAUSE THEY ALSO HAD DOWN SYNDROME, then no, I wouldn't take it as an insult.

2. I don't care one way or the other if Sarah Palin thought the show was funny. I don't expect everyone to find any episode of Family Guy, in fact, I'm well aware that a significant number of people find it offensive.

As to whether she should have "laughed as they made fun of the mental illness of her child" - it didn't make fun of the mental illness of her child.

Why isn't Sarah protesting the depiction of Opie on Family Guy?

Answer: because her name wasn't mentioned.

Posted by: hitpoints | February 19, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

ElisabethsMom:

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

menaman:

I was not joking before ("I know it when I see it"). Refer to the line of obscenity cases for the "community standards test" if you really want to know. Again, if this is OK re: Trig Palin, then it's OK re: Sasha and Malia.

BRING. IT. ON.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

We've come a long a way, Jake, with disability issues. I don't know where you've been but nobody is making fun of Trig. That Sarah wants people to think that is part of the smoke and mirrors.

It is offensive that people like you come online and trivialize real disability issues with your personal opinion and views about the Family Guy.

Posted by: ElisabethsMom | February 19, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I want a single set of rules that explains why Rahm and Family Guy are wrong and why Rush Limbaugh is right. Can you PLEASE provide me with these rules? This has nothing to do with Sasha and Malia.

Also, can you please explain how having a character with DS whose mom is the former Gov. of Alaska, yet who is confident and assertive and whose DS isn't even an issue, is making fun of Trig?

Posted by: menaman | February 19, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

marylander5 (last time I will ask):

Would you be fine if Family Guy portrayed Obama's two little girls as monkeys?

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

SUMB44:

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

hitpoints:

How can you say the episode did not make fun of Trig?! The character has Down Syndrome and says that her mother is "the former governor of Alaska." Please name another Down Syndrome child of a former governor of Alaska.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

menaman:

It's NOT a "red herring" (at least not to what titilayo3 posted at 5:02 PM "For those who say what about Obama or his kids, that's because they don't parade them out everywhere they go ..."). You are the one who wants one single set of rules. If this is OK re: Trig Palin, then it's OK re: Sasha and Malia.

ElisabethsMom and chefra:

Did you even read the "Down Syndrome Girl" song they used (below)?

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

"So, you would be fine if Family Guy portrayed Obama's two little girls as monkeys?"

Another red herring. Please try to stay on topic.

Posted by: menaman | February 19, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

First of all, I'm pro Trig, pro Andrea, and pro Sarah. But Sarah Palin does not speak for our children. Or not until she knocks that victim chip off her shoulder and starts talking about real issues.

This "R" debate is an insult and offensive to any parent or advocate in the disability community. This is not what we're about.

Advocacy is not about exclusivity rights over who can say the "R" word and who cannot. Every person knows we can't control what people say. It's a waste of time.

Advocacy is not about martydom or treating our kids like "innocents" or "less fortunate." It's not about people feeling sorry for our kids.

Advocacy is about making the playing field level.

We've accomplished so much in the past 50 years. Look at far Andrea has come? Why do you want to steal the thunder from under Andrea's spotlight?

The Family Guy is smutty satire. But the episode is about "attitudes" that people have about DS, it's not about DS.

That Palin even brought Trig into this spotlight accusing people of making fun of her child is an offense to every single child with DS.

Nobody is making fun of Trig, Sarah. How dare you do that to your own child?

What makes her think that anyone was making fun of her son? Has this happened in Wassilla?

Her child is beautiful! Trig is gorgeous!

Posted by: ElisabethsMom | February 19, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

It's a very funny episode.

Posted by: SUMB44 | February 19, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

actually think that Holla26 said it best:

"It's funny when it isn't your child. If your child had down syndrome and a random person came up to you and started talking funny and acting like they had down syndrome and acting like they were your child -- would you be angry? Now imagine if it was on a massive public platform. The episode was funny to me, but I'm sure it wasn't funny to the Palins. Do people think Sarah should have watched the show and laughed as they made fun of the mental illness of her child?"

----------------------------------

Hmmm....actually, one of my brother has DS and well...we found it to be really funny. The fact is that the character was not portrayed in a negative light...its only an issue because they referenced little Mrs. ignorant who will try to find an issue with any one that does not agree with her views.

Posted by: chefra | February 19, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

marylander5:

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Wonderfulworld said it right!! An attention-junkie, with the spirit of a pit-bull with lipstick! Shouldve been barracuda with lipstick. Wait, wasn’t that her moniker: Sarah Barracuda? Now, the lower 48 know why!! I wonder what’s stopping her from going after Ms.Andrea Friedman now. No money in it? P’haps so.

Posted by: marylander5 | February 19, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

"It's like obscenity (I know it when I see it). Rahm was not joking, Rush was, and Family Guy is basically irrelevant either way."

Sarah Palin is a freeking retard!! (Just kidding!) That's ok according to your rules right?

Posted by: whirlwind81 | February 19, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

"Funny how none of the anti-Palin comments actually try to answer those questions."

Ok, I will -- the episode did not make fun of Trig. It did not make fun of mental illness. It did not make fun of Down Syndrome. The episode's character "spoke funny" because the actress doing the speaking part actually has DS and actually speaks that way. Furthermore, the cartoon character looks quite a bit like the actress doing the voice.

The most scathing parts of the song lyrics you posted to the episode's song "Down Syndrome Girl" are actually directed at the character Chris, not Ellen. True, some lyrics referring to Ellen aren't kind, but EVERYONE in Family Guy universe gets skewered. The show made a point to treat her like everybody else on the show is treated - aka a normal person.

The only joke at a Palin's expense was a tweak at Sarah, because the show's makers knew they could predictably get a rise out of her.

How do you feel about the show singing that a DS girl is:

a lovely lady
has a pretty face
has luscious hair
effervescing, self-possessing
eyes like emerald portals
smile like sweetest summer flower
kiss inviting, hugs delighting
fascinating, captivating, happiness and joy creating
(and more accolades)

What about that? Is that society's typical view of DS people? Is it mocking? Or does it overlook her differences and focuses on her qualities instead?

Posted by: hitpoints | February 19, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

The Family Guy is "funny" by going over the line... consistently and vulgarly. I find it interesting to watch, if nothing else to be horrified at what must be said and done today for young people to laugh.

Posted by: steveboyington | February 19, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

wow a bunch of liberal heebs making fun of a retard. super refreshing.

Posted by: shortstory | February 19, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Thing is, this Family Guy episode was quite tame. Even sweet at times (Stewie being kind and empathetic???) Often the show leaves me in stitches, though, and that's why I own several series' worth of DVDs.

Bill Clinton was roasted to perfection - first he bedded Peter's wife, and when angry Peter went to Clinton's hotel room to confront him. Clinton politely ushers him in, you're expecting a big argument, but the next shot shows the two (Peter and Bill) in bed together, Peter wide-eyed and saying, "wow.... you're good".

Can't wait until the next episode.

Posted by: hitpoints | February 19, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Hilarious episode! Seth MacFarlane is a gifted satirist and songwriter. He's got a long career ahead of him AT THE NETWORK THAT NOW SIGN'S SARAH'S SMALLER PAYCHECKS! Too funny!

If Sarah Palin didn't want to be mocked like any other public figure, perhaps she should have stayed in the obscurity that is Alaskan government.

I'm a Republican, but Palin is the reason that I had to vote for Obama this time around.

Posted by: MsCynic | February 19, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Because they're red herrings unrelated to what's being talked about.

We can spend all day talking about "what if's", but wouldn't you rather talk about Andrea Friedman's statement?

Posted by: menaman | February 19, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Thanks JakeD2, but what you've given me is your subjective opinion. I'm still waiting for a single set of rules that yields "offensive" when applied to Rahm and to Family Guy and "OK" when applied to Rush.

Posted by: menaman | February 19, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

holla26 -- In case you missed it, the actress Andrea Fay Friedman herself has DS. She thought it was funny and thinks Sarah Palin's reaction to the episode ridiculous.

Sarah Palin is an attention-junkie who will use anyone and anything including her own children to get another shot of that spotlight drug.

Posted by: WonderfulWorld | February 19, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

menaman:

johnpmcneaiii:

No, the SADDEST part of all of this is that Palin was more qualified to be President than Obama.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Is just me that this woman pisses off???

Posted by: johnpmcneaiii | February 19, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

the saddest part of all of this is that ALASKA had this as a Governor. Was no politician with better qualifications to run for the position willing to step up? I find it really hard to believe that She was the most qualified person in AK for the State's highest office. Thats sad-
Regarding the Family Guy episode:
1) Family Guy is uncouth. They make no excuses.
2) Everyone gets lampooned there: think Bill Clinton or Hilliary, Brittany Spears, Michael Jackson....... the list goes on forever.
3) It's entertainment and should be taken with a serious grain of salt. These are incidents that aren't meant to cause a political war.

Posted by: johnpmcneaiii | February 19, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

I actually think that Holla26 said it best:

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

menaman ~ it's never been required to defend anyone outside the milieu of Family Guy to note that the show is far from humorous.

Something about tasteless drek ~ some slurp it up; most of us avoid it.

You like drek, go to it.

Personally I think it is funny as can be to watch otherwise decent, adult people slurping drek!

You do know what drek is, right?

Posted by: muawiyah | February 19, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

"I'm happy to "defend" Gov. Palin on this or any other completely unrelated tangent."

Great! Can you provide a model or a set of rules by which Rahm is wrong, Rush is right, and Family guy is wrong?

Posted by: menaman | February 19, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

menaman:

Bring. It. On.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

OldCoot1:

Sasha and Malia haven't (not yet, at least).

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Funny how none of the pro-Palin comments actually try to defend Palin and instead insult Family Guy, Seth McFarlane, Obama, or go on some other completely unrelated tangent.

This is what's called RED HERRING and, like other logical fallacies, is used when one is too dumb to present a reasoned, coherent argument.

Posted by: menaman | February 19, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Like others, I find it amazing that the WaPo didn't include her full statement. Too risky for your conservative patrons?

Posted by: hitpoints | February 19, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a president that controls the largest nuclear arsenal in the world to have such a thin skin? President Obama and his family have recived much harsher criticism in print and on the air waves than Palin ever has. That is a sign of someone who can control their emotions and can be trusted with the weight of the office. We dont need someone in there that flies off the handle when they are full of s---.

Posted by: OldCoot1 | February 19, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

FIRST OF ALL, FAMILY GUY IS A SHOW FOR THOSE WHO HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR. THOSE WHO DONT LIKE IT MIGHT HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR AND SHOULD NOT TAKE ANYTHING LITERALLY

Posted by: ly_ni_quedupree | February 19, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin has no right to get mad at Family Guy if she wont criticize Rush Limbaugh for what he said. Any person with a brain stem, and that has seen the clip of Rush knows that he wasn't using satire he was calling democrats f ing retards. She could have made this the one issue where political affiliation didnt matter. She could have taken a stand and said that its not okay for anyone to say that , but she didnt. She drew a political line in the sand and said that its okay for republican supporters to do this but not democrats. If you ask me Sarah Palin insulted the Special needs community more than family guy did because she put politics before moral character.

Posted by: leddoor92 | February 19, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

wELL, in a way it's fair and balanced.

Family Guy doesn't really have anything that appeals to a sense of humor either.

BTW, satire can be funny, sarcasm indicates a lack of intellectual and humorous depth which requires personal attacks in lieu of any real humor (which might take a few minutes to think up).

If I had 30 seconds to waste, I'd probably watch the show, but the Verizon cable channel has things of more signficance and intelligence

Such as the signs that indicate that you have to call in if you want to subscribe to a particualr channel.

Posted by: Paladin7b | February 19, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

MarcMyWords:

I guess it's open season on Obama's two little monkeys then.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

marylander5:

I guess it's open season on Obama's two little monkeys then.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Get serious. Palin laughs all the way to the bank everytime her name gets mentioned on television. It has become the family's only source of income. It keeps her name in the news as she runs for president and she runs for president to keep her name in the news. Very simple very clever very profitable.

Posted by: mdenny1 | February 19, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

According to Ms. Palin herself its is perfectly fine to make a "retard" reference as long as the purpose is satirical.

Now last time I checked, Family Guy was pretty much %100 satirical.

Or maybe Sarah Palin was just making up special rules for herself and her friends. Nah! That could never happen!

Posted by: MarcMyWords | February 19, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

(about 748,000 images)

My favorite is of the two little girls LITERALLY on parade January 20, 2009:

I guess it's open season on these two little monkeys.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

well it wasn't about DS, it was Palin's attempt to be front page all the time. it's her narcissism...everything has to be about Ms. Palin. The problem is Palin doesn't realise that people are beginning to understand that she is an opportunist; she got lucky, like winning the lottery. Except she is now trying to make us believe she got her "lottery" the old-fashioned way: she earned it. She did not. she feigned it. so at every opportunity, she gets in the face and makes it all about her. The "Family Guy" is only one of many....she wants more opportunities, she will create it. she'll be in front of us for a while. no doubt. Meanwhile, Ms.Andrea Freidman, you rock!!

Posted by: marylander5 | February 19, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

The problem here is that FAMILY GUY is a sick, perveted cartoon that I watched exactly ONCE and its creators are so sick in their mind they don't even KNOW what decency is!!!!

Posted by: joaquinrose | February 19, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

titilayo3:

You are aware that Family Guy taped this "cartoon" PRIOR to the Rahm Emmanuel controversy, right? I will be right back with every picture of Sahsa and Melia "parading" around.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I knew the Post was in continual decline, but I am surprised you are not brave enough to print the complete quote about hauling the retard baby like a loaf of french bread.

Posted by: barnardj1 | February 19, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

It's not that Sarah Palin doesn't have a sense of humor. It's that the writers have no class.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | February 19, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

This wasn't even about Palin, per se. They were, in fact, attacking her infant son to get to her. Here's the transcript of the entire song on that episode:

"You’ve got to look your best tonight, you tubby little parasite
‘Cause there’s a lovely lady and she’s waiting for you.
And though her pretty face may seem
A special person’s wettest dream
Before you get to see it there are things you must do.
We’ll try a tie, and boutonniere of yellow.
A rose that shows that you’re a classy fellow.
With a posh panache of Jefferson at Monticello,
Busting out a mile with style.
I know you just can’t wait to stare
At all that luscious orange hair
But boy before you touch a single curl
You must impress that ultra boomin’,
All-consumin’, poorly groomin’
Down syndrome girl.
On any normal day you reek
As if you’re on a f@rting streak,
Your fingers up your nose and you are dripping with drool.
But if you want a lady’s love,
You’re better off by smelling of
A gentleman’s cologne instead of sneakers and st00l.
A squirt, a spurt of something just for Ellen
And you’ll see that she will find you so compellin’.
And she does because the only smell that she’ll be smellin’
Won’t be comin’ from your bum.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Initially I was taken aback by the line, but considering everything else Sarah Palin has said/done in regards to the word retarded vis a v Rahm/Rush she had it coming. Rather than tucking her tail in between her legs after her disastrous explanation of the difference between Rahm and Rush, she chose to stick her nose out there. The Family Guys played it well, because they knew Sarah would not be able to resist her chance in the spotlight, yet again. And they nailed her, not so much that the DS character's flaws had to do with her being bossy rather than a condition, because the character had Down Syndrome and was very accomplished..destroying Sarah's "defenseless human beings" meme she has of Trig.

For those who say what about Obama or his kids, that's because they don't parade them out everywhere they go, and refer to them every 3rd sentence..like Sarah doesn't do with Track, Willow, Bristol, or even Willow, only Trig. So, Sarah is the one making Trig out to be out of the norm in her own family, don't blame Family Guy for exploiting what we already knew.

Posted by: titilayo3 | February 19, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

(cont.)

You want to take that little wh0re
And spin her on the dancing floor
But boy, before you do a single twirl –
You must impress that effervescing,
Self-possessing, no-BS-ing
Down syndrome girl.
Her eyes are emerald portals to a secret land of love
And her smile is like the sweetest summer flower.
Her kiss is so inviting, and her hugs are so delighting.
And what makes them really nice is that they’ve got a little spice
Because they’re tighter than a vice and they go on for an hour.
My boy, between the two of us we’ll get you on that shorty bus.
And then you’re going to take it for a whirl.
Now go impress that super-thrilling,
Wish-fulfilling, Yoo-Hoo-spilling,
Ultra-swinging, b0ner-bringing,
Daily singing, ding-a-linging
Stupefying, fortifying,
As-of-Monday-shoelace-tying,
Stimulating, titillating,
Kitty-cat impersonating,
Mega-rocking, pillow talking,
Just a little crooked walking,
Poorly pouting, b00bies sprouting,
For some reason always shouting,
Fascinating, captivating,
Happiness and joy creating
Down syndrome girl"

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Why are you printing the FULL statement? It's only one additional line:

Posted by: lalalu1 | February 19, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Holla26.

Posted by: JakeD2 | February 19, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

It's funny when it isn't your child. If your child had down syndrome and a random person came up to you and started talking funny and acting like they had down syndrome and acting like they were your child - would you be angry? Now imagine if it was on a massive public platform. The episode was funny to me but I'm sure it wasn't funny to the Palins. Do people think Sarah should have watched the show and laughed as they made fun of the mental illness of her child? I'm not a supporter of Palin by any means.

Posted by: Holla26 | February 19, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

The fact that Palin lambastes Rohm Emanuel for using the word “retard” and then goes on television to defend Rush Limbaugh who also used the word to describe the same set of people as Emanuel, even taking it a step further saying there would be a “retard convention” in Washington, should tell you everything you need to know about her. I hope she wins the GOP nomination for 2012 because I’d like to think that would be almost certain victory for Obama.

Posted by: bowie2000 | February 19, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Those of you who still live in the world of "Democrat good, Republican bad" (or vice versa)(Bobfromli) are part of the problem. There is not much difference between the two parties. Grow up& start thinking for your self.

Posted by: conrad26 | February 19, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

The "sympathy and votes" line in the full quote is the best burn I've heard in a while.

Posted by: dkp01 | February 19, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Palin must be so confused about what to do with her selective outrage this time. I mean, I'm sure she would love to call her Facebook pitchfork mob to arms and instigate a massive boycott of the evil, evil network that aired this horrible, horrible show. And you can bet your sweet bippy that this would have happened, had the offending network been CBS or (most definitely) NBC. But, alas, the offending network is Fox, who is also her employer--what a pickle!

Posted by: ComfortablyDumb | February 19, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

One of the biggest problems that those with a mindset which encompasses the right wing is their lack of imagination. As a result of this gap-out, the sarcasm of Family Guy is lost on those who cannot process it. Similarly, right wing Colbert viewers don't see the sarcasm and parody, either. It's too bad.

For a fuller discussion of the entire mindset, John Dean writes on it in "Conservatives Without Conscience".

Come to think of it, right wingers are "different", "special", even.

Posted by: BobfromLI | February 19, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I really don't understand why the full quote from Ms. Friedman is not shown here. You've edited out the most pointed part of her criticism of Sarah Palin. Here is the quote with the missing sentence:

"My parents raised me to have a sense of humor and to live a normal life. My mother did not carry me around under her arm like a loaf of French bread the way former Governor Palin carries her son Trig around looking for sympathy and votes." -- Andrea Fay Friedman

Posted by: wkristol | February 19, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Palin doesn't need a sense of humor.. she's the joke

Posted by: newagent99 | February 19, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse