Rep. John Murtha hospitalized in intensive care

Updated 11:38 a.m.
By Carol D. Leonnig
Rep. John Murtha is now in a Virginia hospital's intensive care unit after unexpected complications from gallbladder surgery last week, his spokesman confirmed this morning.

Murtha, 77, had been suffering from gallbladder pain and problems in December and arranged to have the organ removed last week at Bethesda Naval Hospital. A spokesman for the Pennsylvania Democrat declined to discuss the seriousness of the situation that sent Murtha back to another hospital's intensive care unit.

"Congressman Murtha underwent a scheduled laparoscopic surgery to remove his gallbladder last week," his spokesman Matt Mazonkey said. "Complications did arise from the surgery and he is currently at the Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington."

Patients who undergo gallbladder surgery can face significant tenderness and recovery issues, but serious complications are rare -- occurring in as few as 0.6 to 2.2 percent of cases.

One potential complication related to the kind of surgery that Murtha underwent results from accidental cutting of the common bile ducts. These nicks can lead to bile backing up in the blood stream and serious infections.

Such nicks and accidental cuts are more common in laparascopic surgery, in which the surgeon relies on video imaging to "see" the patient's gallbladder.

By Web Politics Editor  |  February 2, 2010; 11:16 AM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama's budget illustrates dire fiscal straits
Next: Rahm Emanuel apologizes for 'retarded' remark

Comments

I am concerned about our country, but more so after reading some of the comments in regard to the congressman's sickness. I am attaching a poem I wrote this morning that expresses an opinion that takes a somewhat different approach!

We Are All Christian Soldiers

Don’t be afraid to die my friend, death comes to everyone.
Let Jesus come into your heart, He’ll help you overcome
All the fears that you might have, you see, He knows the way.
He died for us and rose again on that glorious Easter Day!

Don’t be misled, you must believe in Jesus to be saved.
The devil is always lurking real nearby in case you haven’t behaved.
Don’t let temptation lead you astray, let Jesus take your hand.
He’s always ready to take you with Him to the “Promised Land!”

Our world today is in danger as the devil’s forces abide.
Their influence on the human race reaches far and wide.
They are a greedy, lying, cheating group, who follow the devil’s creed.
The world is at a crossroads and Jesus must intercede!

All those folks who are on Jesus’ side speak up with a prayer.
With Jesus helping we must push the devil back into his lair.
If we just stand our ground and fight, we can save the world,
But we must be sure that we get the Christian flag unfurled!

There is no need for you to fear, to run and hide today.
If you feel threatened in anyway, just bow your head and pray.
Jesus Himself will hear your prayer, and rush to your defense.
He’s always happy when he finds folks with some common sense!

That’s just the way it is today my friend, we have to be on guard.
Be sure the devil is not hiding out, right in your own backyard.
He is crafty, more than most, recruiting gives him a thrill.
He can’t save your soul at all, but I’m sure that Jesus will!

Posted by: jshepherd5ecrrcom | February 3, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

mJJ2: Actually, there are dozens of legislators who refuse to request earmarks (pork spending for specific projects in their districts). They believe spending should go through a bidding or other vetting process, rather than unilaterally deciding who should get our tax dollars. (It's called putting the nation's interests ahead of your own. Novel concept, I know.) Earmarks are essentially no-bid contracts. John Murtha, btw, has more of them than anybody else. Incidentally, I hope he has a swift and full recovery. But I also hope he decides it's time to retire.

Posted by: Alistair300 | February 3, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Actually, congressman Murtha may be a bit more adept at it, but I know of NO congress person who does not have earmarks and frankly, even projects that work to their advantage. The longer anyone serves, the more pork they can bring home to their area. But alas, people of his state must like what he does because they re-elect him all the time. It is called democracy, the will of the people. Besides, find me one Washington Politician who does not TRY at least to bring home to bacon to their area, and budget restraints be damned.

Posted by: mJJ2 | February 3, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

So this is how low we have become in the US - that a man sent to ICU is used for bait in political rhetoric. How pathetic that those who posted all the nasty comments about Murtha couldn't pass up another opportunity to froth at the mouth and just hope or pray that this human being recovers. If you have to spew, why don't you save it for a response to someone's actions other than lying in a hospital bed in intensive care.

Posted by: minnginn | February 3, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Hello, dear ladies and gentlemen, http://www.coolforsale.com
Buy now proposed a "New Year's gift '. A rare opportunity, what are you waiting for?
Quickly move your mouse bar. commodity is credit guarantee, you can rest assured of purchase, coolforsale will provide service for you all, welcome to
1. sport shoes : Jordan ,Nike, adidas, Puma, Gucci, LV, UGG , etc. including women shoes
and kids shoes.
2. T-Shirts : BBC T-Shirts, Bape T-Shirts, Armani T-Shirts, Polo T-Shirts,etc.
3. Hoodies : Bape hoody, hoody, AFF hoody, GGG hoody, ED hoody ,etc.
4. Jeans : Levis jeans , Gucci jeans, jeans,
Bape jeans , DG jeans ,etc. NHL Jersey Woman $ 40NFL Jersey $35 NBA Jersey $ 34MLB Jersey $ 35 Jordan Six Ring_m $36 Air Yeezy_m $ 45 T-Shirt_m $ 25Jacket_m $ 36,Hoody_m $ 50 Manicure Set $20
Fordetails,pleaseconsult,

Posted by: ytrfyetityjytoeyhfjytug | February 3, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

HE'S A PIG. HE ACCUSED MY FELLOW MARINES OF KILLING CIVILLIANS BEFORE THE FACTS CAME OUT. HE NEVER APOLOGISED. TIME FOR ALL THE OLD WILTED LEGISLATORS TO PACK IT IN A GO HOME. YOU GUYS HAVE SAT BACK FOR DECADES AND WATCHED THIS COUNTRY CRUMBLE LIKE A COOKE. SOCIAL SECURITY GOING BROKE, ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION OUT OF CONTROL AND THE LIST GOES ON AND ON AND YET THEY TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY. LIBERALS LIKE MURTHA SUCK!

Posted by: Cobra2 | February 3, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

This is one issue that gets bipartisan grassroots support: get rid of the corrupt politicians from both parties. There are few Democratic voters who support the kind of shifty shenanigans as practiced by Murtha. What he does is beyond pork barrel, bringing home the bacon for the district; he verges and often crosses the line of legality and ethics. Having him leave public life would be good for America.

Posted by: Pupster | February 3, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

I wish him full recovery so he can enjoy his well deserved retirement from public office. It would be a great thing for Congress and the Nation as well.

Posted by: schumann-bonn | February 3, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

I'm originally from John Murtha's voting district and a former US Marine. The "porked" airport and land near Johnstown should be condemned, seized and sold by the Government and the money put into the Federal General Fund. Also, other "porked" money used for his personal ideas and use should be seized. To all the "true and faithful" Leathernecks out there; Semper Fi.

Posted by: frosmon | February 3, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

another great argument for term limits!

Posted by: djrhood | February 3, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Better frisk him before he checks out; no telling what he'll try to steal this time.

Posted by: hangjbat | February 3, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

The man should be in a prison infirmary. Duke Cunningham went to jail, so should this pig.

Posted by: PSURoss | February 3, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Why are 77 year olds running our country? Retire, already, and let someone else try their hand at screwing things up.

Posted by: deanowade | February 3, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

He got a hernia and heart attack from carrying all the illegal donations he was getting from lobbyists and defense contractors. Even he can't take it with him.

Posted by: Calabrese99 | February 3, 2010 7:12 AM | Report abuse

He got a hernia and heart attack from all the illegal donations he was getting from lobbyists and defense contractors. Even he can't take it with him.

Posted by: Calabrese99 | February 3, 2010 7:11 AM | Report abuse

Die ya criminal..

Posted by: wewintheylose | February 3, 2010 4:13 AM | Report abuse

Wow, way to go partisan posters! Some of you make a disgustingly selfish and corrupt old man look almost decent by comparison. On the other hand, these comments are not on the whole half as objectionable as those made when William F. Buckley passed away, so perhaps things are getting better.

Posted by: robert17 | February 3, 2010 3:56 AM | Report abuse

You do not have to like an individual or approve of their tactics, politics or even their service to the country, but to wish anyone ill is a bit OTT. Some people without common sense or restraint did wish bad things on Bush, Cheney and Limbaugh..so that excuses you? Let us hope the congressman makes a full recovery and decides what the next step in his life should be. By himself and without our interference.

Posted by: Thinking4 | February 3, 2010 2:59 AM | Report abuse

Murtha was overheard telling family members, "don't tell the doctors I was for the health care bill."

Posted by: josettes | February 3, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Get well soon congressman.

Posted by: truth1 | February 2, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

kbit, you've got about as much understanding of government structure as my neighbors dog. Conflating a failed governmental model with a political party that functions inside a working governmental model doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

That aside, I hope the guy gets better. He has served his country a lot more than the average whiner has.

Posted by: Nymous | February 2, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Murtha and the Communist Democrats betrayed their country

Posted by: kblt | February 2, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

For the good of the nation and American taxpayers, let us hope Murtha stays there a long, long time.

Posted by: Tupac_Goldstein | February 2, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

"Posted by: SCL24 | February 2, 2010 7:34 PM
Oh, dear. An old political boss who has swindled the taxpayers out of hundreds of millions of dollars in earmarks to benefit family members, close friends, campaign contributors, and political cronies."

To be accurate, it's probably somewhere far north of 10's of Billions (He ran the Intel committee at the height of the Afgani counter-insurgence, which gave us the likes of Bin Laden and the Northern Alliance). I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it's breached 100's of billions of taxpayer dollars. I wonder how many lined his pockets.

I wish the man no ill, and hope he improves. Lord knows that there are some very unfortunate military doctors at Bethesda that will now get some undue Navy (and possibly Congressional) attention.

Hopefully, this will give Murtha the impetus to quietly resign, for the better of himself, and most definitely for the better of the Nation.

Posted by: waterloom | February 2, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

"I am pretty sure that those"people" making such nasty comments are the "so called compassionate conservatives" it shows their true colors."

Posted by: corintonic | February 2, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------------------

Yes, I remember all the secular humanists cheering Cheney's heart attacks and hoping fervently for Bush to be assassinated. There are fascists on both sides, and by fascists I mean those whose political beliefs are shaped almost exclusively by their resentments.

My view is that there are far more of them on the left than on the right.

Posted by: theduke89 | February 2, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I hope this does not mean that Beelzebub has finally come back to make good on the 2nd part of the bargain...

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | February 2, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Oh I get it shad, you think I was speaking in general terms that you don't matter to anyone. I don't make a habit of speaking for others so I didn't bother to qualify my statement as, "you don't matter to me."

If that still bothers you, seek professional help.

Posted by: washpost18 | February 2, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

I wish Rep Murtha a speedy recovery and a landslide loss in the November elections after he gains his health back.

Posted by: theduke89 | February 2, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Good luck and a quick recovery to you, Mr. Murtha.

Posted by: JoStalin | February 2, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

To those skunks who are blogging tonight hoping the worst for Rep. Murtha all I can say is this.......get in your car, drive to your local church, and beg God to forgive you!

Posted by: logcabin1836 | February 2, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

It sickens me to see an human being wishing another ill health and death because of political alliances. Congressman Murtha has served the people of Pennsylvania with distinction for 30 years and served the country with distinction in the USMC.

My thoughts and well wishes go out to the Congressman, his family and his entire staff and I hope to see the Congressman back on the floor of the House very soon.

Posted by: SCL24 | February 2, 2010 7:34 PM
======================================
Mostly he has served himself and his family.

He certainly has not served his fellow countrypersons.

He has a well deserved reputation as the king of pork and the king of earmarks.

There are no schemes or projects too wasteful or ridiculous it they bring king cash to his family and to his district.

He is what is wrong with America and someone we all can be ashamed of.

I do not wish him ill health I just wish him gone.

Posted by: krankyman | February 2, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey there shadow10 you actually got OUTRAGED because someone expressed that you don't matter? Wow, fragile ego much?

Your special unique snowflake existence could easily have been spared the reality check if you would have made the effort and spent the time reading for comprehension instead of knee-jerk reacting because your favorite cause du jour was called out.

Nobody forced teabaggers to make any comment - they obviously made an affirmative effort to demonstrate their inability to function in polite society. When someone calls them on it you leap forth and justify their behavior in a most childlike manner.

Thanks for meeting already lowered expectations.

Posted by: washpost18 | February 2, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey there Washpost18..."You don't matter?" You actually wrote that to another human being? TAKE A LOOK IN THE MIRROR. HOW EVOLVED. This was my point. I did not condone any behavior one way or the other. I am just pointing out how ridiculous this has all become. I am not a tea bagger either. Way to keep an open mind though.

Posted by: Shadow10 | February 2, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

I have no reason to spare you anything - you don't matter. I also have no "outrage" - I don't know Rep. Murtha so I have no reason to get bent out of shape.

But as for you - your excuse for bad behavior is, "well because they did it that justifies these other people doing it." My, how...mature of you and the others.

Teabaggers had a chance to take the high road but instead decide to wallow in the mud. Again, really not all that surprising but it is useful as yet another example of the institutionalized hypocrisy of the teabagger.

Posted by: washpost18 | February 2, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Please...take the high road? I have seen so many comments on this web site wishing DEATH to Rush Limbaugh (in the hospital), Dick Cheney and Sarah Palin over the past several months. I don't necessarily agree with those folks, but SPARE ME the false outrage. We have indeed lost our way in this country.

Posted by: Shadow10 | February 2, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: corintonic

They like to claim they are. In reality they're just sad, pathetic, un-American teabaggers.

Posted by: washpost18 | February 2, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: corintonic | February 2, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SCL24 | February 2, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Oh, dear. An old political boss who has swindled the taxpayers out of hundreds of millions of dollars in earmarks to benefit family members, close friends, campaign contributors, and political cronies. A pork-barrel appropriator who has abused the public trust with wasteful spending in his small, backwoods district. A Vietnam veteran who has smeared our servicemen and women in Iraqi and Afghanistan by calling them 'murderers.'

I suppose that the correct thing to do is to wish him well. Too bad. I hope he chokes and dies slowly and painfully.

Posted by: hisroc | February 2, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I see the Usual Suspects are unable to take the high road and are wishing for the death of Congressman Murtha. Typical. The only upside is that the rest of America outside of the comment boards won't have to put up with their psychotic behavior while they're locked in their basements, pantsless, on a death watch.

Posted by: washpost18 | February 2, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

How old is he now 130 ?? Euthanasia at 75 should be the law of the land.The "Greatest Generation" is in reality the Piggiest Generation.But,nobody wants to talk about that. Social security payback time is now less than seven yrs.For you home schooled folks.Everything these bloodsuckers paid into SS,they get back in seven years! And some of them are living past the age of 100!! Can you spell parasite ???

Posted by: hyroller56 | February 2, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

costing us more money at Bethesda Naval Hospital. The gall of this man murtha.
I wonder if he has a Cadillac plan?

Posted by: charlietuna666 | February 2, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Politics aside, here's wishing the Congressman a speedy recovery.

Posted by: up4design | February 2, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

After watching the clip on You Tube intitled "Murtha on C-Span-Amazing", I have to agree with 90% of the posters here. Perhaps he won't make it! Hooray!

Posted by: henart73 | February 2, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

How sad to see most of these comments are hate filled and nasty. What is truly sad is to see this country so filled with folks who only wish the worst for others. These commenters surely don't realize that we are all one, one humanity, one planet. I don't care for everyone, but I don't wish anyone ill, as they are a part of me. No wonder people here are so unhealthy...mentally, physically and especially spiritually.

Posted by: tootsie11 | February 2, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Umm...Capt...he's a Congressman, not a Senator.

Posted by: EricS2 | February 2, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I hope this low life suffers for what he said about marines. The silliest part is that he could be on life support in intensive care for years and still be a senator on good money. What a stupis method.Should be mandatory terms in both houses.

Posted by: captgrumpy | February 2, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I hope he recovers in time to face corruption charges over those multi million dollar gov't contracts he got awarded to his daughter's business.

Posted by: jackp1 | February 2, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Hurry up with those death panels.

Posted by: c_e_daniel | February 2, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Teddy needs some company... go see Teddy

Posted by: kglkgl06 | February 2, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

dislike the porker,but wish him the best

Posted by: pofinpa | February 2, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Not the way to get tort reform, docs.

Posted by: WhatHeSaid | February 2, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

WAY TOO MUCH PORK IN HIS DIET OR REMOVAL OF FROM RECTUM!

EITHER WAY, A COMPLETE DISGRACE TO HIS COUNTRY AND THE CORPS!

Posted by: F-4Phantom | February 2, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

So the bile is backing up, eh?

Posted by: blackforestcherry | February 2, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Congressman Murtha: my sincerest wishes for a speedy recovery. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4faMkBfQ49o

Posted by: Victoria5 | February 2, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

We could only hope he would use this as an excuse not to run in Nov...

Posted by: silencedogoodreturns | February 2, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Upon examining the gall bladder, surgeons found a folded American flag and a thick wad of $100 bills.

Posted by: bgreen2224 | February 2, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I may not like Murtha but I hope he recovers from this!

Get Well Soon Rep. Murtha!

Posted by: warhawk911 | February 2, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Pennsylvania's pig trough is on life support.

Posted by: BO__Stinks | February 2, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse