Kaine promises DNC help for Dems who vote 'yes' on health-care reform

Updated 6:45 p.m.
By Michael D. Shear
Democratic National Committee Chairman Tim Kaine promised an army of volunteers will campaign for lawmakers who vote for health-care reform this week, though he declined to say whether the DNC will withhold help from those who don't.

Following a lunch with the president at the White House, Kaine described President Obama as "upbeat" about the prospects for passage of health-care legislation this week.

"It's the right thing to do from a policy standpoint, but it's also politically smart," Kaine said.

The former Virginia governor said the Organizing for America arm of the DNC has amassed 9.1 million pledges of volunteer hours on behalf of health reform.

"I think they are going to energetically respond and work very hard for those who are part of this reform effort," he said Tuesday.

Kaine would not offer those volunteers any guidance about who to work for or against. But he made clear that those decisions are being talked about in consultation with the political team at the White House.

"We're going to get that vote. We're going to see how health care happens," Kaine said. "The president and his team will talk with those of us at the DNC, and then we'll make the plans going forward into 2010."

A spokesman for the Democratic National Committee called to clarify that the DNC will not withhold support from Democrats who oppose the health care bill. The volunteer hours will be used for health care supporters, but the DNC has other resources to offer other Democrats, said DNC spokesman Brad Woodhouse.

"The DNC is going to support Democrats running against Republicans this fall whether or not they supported all of the President's agenda or not, including health care reform," Woodhouse said. "We do have one program through OFA in which volunteers have pledged 9 million hours to work in election in support of pro health reform Democrats -- but we will have numerous programs and resources through OFA and the DNC devoted to electing Democrats more broadly."

By Michael D. Shear  |  March 16, 2010; 5:51 PM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency , Cast of Characters , Democratic Party
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama picks his NCAA teams -- but they're a secret still
Next: But wait! One more health-care rally to come from Obama

Comments

The Dem Party better help the people who vote yes for this much needed health care reform. They should have helped in MA...the GOP poured money into that selfish state which already had some reform and did not want the rest the rest of us to have it!!
I will never vote for the GOP as they are always against any help for ordinary people and cannot understand why people without a lot of money are taken in by them. REMEMBER who led us to this point with unnecessary war and financial disaster....it WAS NOT the Democrats!!

Posted by: nhgal628 | March 17, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Liberalbasher: I totally don’t understand why you hate the liberals/democrats. The Republicans are the ones who got us into this mess, not the liberals/democrats. They are not responsible for you losing your job nor are they responsible for your heart attack. I understand you are scared, and you think that blaming them will give you a place to send your anger about your situation; however, that only hurts you. I understand about anger, I lost a son to cancer, but anger doesn’t help anything – it doesn’t fix the problem. But again, we’re in this situation because Regan got rid of the rules that stopped the banks from doing irresponsible, greedy things, and the last President, et al. ran up the budget with the war, never adding the cost of the war to the budget. This President is trying to straighten things out, and many of the current Republicans are stopping him. It doesn’t matter what color he is (what color are any of us, really) – what matters is he cares. There are many things that the insurance companies do to screw the public, even though you may not have experienced any of them they are still a fact. May God bless you and take care of you even when you respond in anger.

Posted by: julieforBarack | March 17, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: julieforBarack | March 17, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I am ready to lose my job, out source to DR. I will lose my health insurance when I do. I just had a heart attack.

KEEP YOUR HEALTH CARE PLAN AND SHOVE IT.

I will work 2 jobs before I accept forced help from scum sucking liberals that don't give a mthr fk who they are bankrupting so they don't have to do something themselves.

Your slime
Your lazy
Your theives
And your hypocrits.

I lived in a democratic family. I KNOW how you people steal. I knew enough people on welfare to choke a horse. Why, they WERE TO LAZY TO WORK.

Again
your slime
your scum
your liars
your thieves
and your hypocrites.

I would rather go bankrupt THEN EVER ACCEPT YOUR HELP.

Posted by: LiberalBasher | March 16, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

If any democratic lawmaker want to vote "NO" on health care reform ,just convert to become republican.
We need to mandate every body to vote YES , because this very important .

Posted by: reformss | March 16, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

I am sick of republicans ,I will never vote for them again .
They are so crazy people .The health care reform bill now is similar to their bill back in 1993 ,so why they oppose It ???
according to Republican party Sarah Palin is the smartest one in group and here is what She said " We used to hustle on over the border for health care ....and I think,isn't that kind of ironic now ? " She admitting that her family used to go to Canada for medical treatment when she was a child , Canada has a single -payer system , which Palin oppose ! (Too bad for Canadian tax payers )
Limbaugh the second smart one in the group also said " I'll just tell you this, if this passes and it's five years from now and all that stuff gets implemented -- I am leaving the country. I'll go to Costa Rica." .well too bad ,Costa Rica has had health care for all in 60 years already.( should Costa Rica taxpayers cover health care for this mad man ? )
Republicans :
Don't You learn any thing from housing crisis ? like housing cost in the past ,health care cost is out of control .the next crisis will be health care crisis if health care reform failed ,millions of people may die .
please forget about Republicans ,pass health care reform NOW.

Posted by: reformss | March 16, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse