Obama: 'This is what change looks like'

By Michael D. Shear
Moments after the final House vote, President Obama hailed passage of his health care legislation, saying the hard-fought milestone proved that "we are still a people capable of doing big things and tackling our biggest challenges."

In brief remarks that ended just before midnight on Sunday, a tired-looking Obama praised lawmakers for pushing back against special interests and refusing to give in to the opposition.

"Today's vote answers the dreams of so many who have fought for this," he said. "Long after the debate fades away and the prognostication fades away and the dust settles, what will remain standing ... is a health care system that incorporates ideas from both parties."

Obama described the new health-care law as not "radical" but "major" and said it "moves us decisively in the right direction. This is what change looks like."

But in a nod to next week's action in the Senate, where a package of fixes to the bill must get approval, Obama noted that the journey toward health-care changes is not quite done. And he implored Republicans not to needlessly try to delay.

"Some have predicted another siege of parliamentary maneuvering," he said. "It's time to bring this debate to a close."

By Michael D. Shear  |  March 22, 2010; 12:16 AM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency , Health Care
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Randy Neugebauer says he called out 'baby-killer' as Stupak spoke on House floor
Next: A sweeping victory for Obama, Pelosi

Comments

talitha1, I hear you. I'm an American living abroad, on the other side of the planet, actually, and just a few days ago I was reading a comment thread after an article in which one yazoo asked why "sombody doesn't put a bullet in this "n****r" you cal prez. I thought about it awhile. There is a Secret Service outpost here, but it was late at night. But after a few more minutes' thought, I called the Embassy and left word with a Marine, who said he'd pass it along.

For the record, I grew up in rural Texas, I'm white, and I'm almost 59; I remember "colored" restrooms and water fountains, and "No Colored" signs on restaurant, shop, theater, and so on doors. As a child, I didn't understand it; as I grew older, I came to loathe it.

But I do want to add that I would have felt the same way had McCain won and someone had written something just as scary as what you described (which was gone by the time I got here).

Posted by: MekhongKurt1 | March 23, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Look, let me be clear Joe buys doughnuts he sits on the stoop with his black and tasty each morning. Let me be clear, Joe is an everyday American and he wants health care. I gave Joe some health care. Now, my good friend Barney has a rather embarrassing preexisting condition that he sustained while vacationing in Providencetown, MA in 1983. I gave him some health care as well. Look, we can all agree that health care is good. Now who should pay for it? Let me be clear, if you want it I can make it happen. Sometimes I even throw a doughnut at Joe so he will speak. Tiger hit me with those Perkins digits -Obama Out

Posted by: jarodg79 | March 22, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

What is the sense of solidifying a wasteful, for-profit health insurance industry that comes between you and your doctor? Americans will now be indirectly paying the shareholders of these for-profit behemoths that have insulted the American people for decades.

Nevertheless, this is not Obama's fault. He is a fine man in the midst of idiots.

Posted by: GeorgHerbet | March 22, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

This is essentially the same benefits package that Federal employees (including members of Congress) have. Put down the chain e-mails and stop posting the same thing over and over and over.

Posted by: JamesK1 | March 22, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Now let's make all the politicians use this same health care package & do away with ALL of their BENEFITS!!!!

Posted by: Bloozer | March 22, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bloozer | March 22, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bloozer | March 22, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bloozer | March 22, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

No that is what a socialist liar looks like.

Posted by: state82 | March 22, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I think the Health Care Reform Bill should be retitled to the Health Care Insurance Reform Bill, as it seems to me that the Bill's intent is focused on changing Health Care Insurance Providers policy's vice changing how Health Care is provided.

Posted by: sooze1 | March 22, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

"This is what change looks like"?

No -- this is what SOCIALISM and BRIBERY look like.

Posted by: wmpowellfan | March 22, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Now you and I know that these rocket scientists that voted for this Senate bill that is not "the imaginary bill" they will compose and put heaven only knows in it have to be so stupid that words cannot apply. We know they did not read it. It took a speed reader at one and 1/2 page per two seconds to read it two and 1/2 days with excellent comprehension. Now we know those stupid Democrats that voted for this thing have not read it. These "less than the sharpest pencils in the box" are changing our way of life and sacrificing our personal freedoms on a bill they have not read. The bribes, lies, double talk, deals with slimy companies and unions were sickening. Obama says it was not about the process. Well duh! It sure was. Your process is unconstitutional.
I am putting money where my mouth is. I am donating to the Republican party today and I am getting active. I want conservative candidates that will vote to repeal this health care takeover. These were the most evil of men to do this to the people of this nation under the pretense you were lowering costs. This bill does not lower costs and it adds to the deficit. The numbers do not make sense except to the fools who voted for it but that just proves they could be talked into anything. We need to send these deaf arrogant politicians home in November and what we miss in 2012. Start packing. Let us see you find those allusive phony Stimulus I jobs these sorry so and so's say exist.

Posted by: greatgran1 | March 22, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Well this is just the beginning,there's a lot of work to be done and maybe I'm being a tad bit optimistic but that second term is not necessarily beyond reach.

Posted by: TexasLiberalz | March 22, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Don't assume that people who post here who oppose this plan are Republicans. Some of us are lower case "l" libertarians. You know, people who believe in property rights. Unlike you liberal socialists violent people who it like government threatens violence on your behalf to take others property and distribute it.

Posted by: abjrijdkj222 | March 22, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I must say that these conservative commentators on this page seem to have bought into the shrill doomsday ignorance-encouraging double talk of the Tea Party people, as well as those in the Republican party that are really just trying to manipulate you so that they get back in power. Also, it is of interest that these same people, on the Hill and on this site, forget the budget-busting excesses of the Bush years, the Reagan years, and Republican congresses of the past 20 years. Everything you complain of today, your cherished and sainted representatives on the Hill did in the past. If ever there was a time to cry hypocrite, it is now. I know that you all can't be this stupid - except Jhr1 - he (or she) needs professional help for their clinical mental disorder.

Posted by: pjglazer | March 22, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Can't wait to add the 40 million illegals to the health care role. Any numbers now in print are invalid when you count in the voting block the Dems plan to add. I guess my goals need to change - work hard, play by the rules, vote, be positive doesn't work anymore. Now it's, be lazy and spend every penny you earn, don't get educated or work hard because the folks previously mentioned will end up paying for you anyway. What happened to this country?

Posted by: KDSmallJr | March 22, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Message to all you socialists: If you care about the "poor" why don't you donate to them yourselves. That would solve the problem of taking care of the poor. But you chose to defer to government to point guns at others to force them to give up their property for the "poor". You are violent and you are scum.

Posted by: abjrijdkj222 | March 22, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

When I lost my job and health insurance I had an option for Cobra. It was going to cost $1200 a month to keep my Family covered.It's peace of mind to know that we are going have health coverage even if you do loose your job. I was unable to afford cobra because my unemployed was $600 every two weeks. So I don't see what the big problem is.

Posted by: joh375 | March 22, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

From what I've read, there will now be a strong incentive for medium-sized firms (more than 50 emplopyees but fewer than 500) to dump their employee health care costs by sending their employees into the new exchanges. The company would havev to pay a penalty but it would be much less than they pay in coverage now. The employee, however, would suddenly have to pay 100 percent of the cost of his/her premiums (in my case, my $5,000 in annual premiums would double or even triple to buy coverage on the exchange--plus, since my wife and I together earn roughly $100,000 we would not qualify for any subsidy). Quite frankly, this "change" will slowly bankrupt us ... and PLEASE do not suggest that my employer will pay me a larger salary once it doesn't have to pay for my health coverage--if even they give me a raise it will NOT be a $5,000-10,000 a year raise, so under this plan I will end up paying drastically more for my coverage (and since all our 'pre-existing conditions' were already covered under our current plan and had to be covered by any future plans--because of earlier laws--there is no benefit to us in this new plan for that ... so in addition to the nation's debt going up and up--NO governemnt program ever costs LESS than expected--our personal health care spending will skyrocket just to pay for the exchange plan premiums ... please explain why my family will not suffer under this 'reform'?

Posted by: ToughChoices | March 22, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

We LOVE Barack Obama!! We LOVE Barack Obama!! We LOVE Barack!! We LOVE Barack Obama!! We LOVE Barack Obama!! We LOVE Barack Obama!! We LOVE Barack!! We LOVE Barack Obama!! We LOVE Barack Obama!! We LOVE Barack Obama!! We LOVE Barack!! We LOVE Barack Obama!! We LOVE Barack Obama!! We LOVE Barack Obama!! We LOVE Barack Obama!! We LOVE Barack Obama!! We LOVE Barack!! We LOVE Barack Obama!! We LOVE Barack!! We LOVE Barack Obama!! We LOVE Barack Obama!! We LOVE Barack Obama!! We LOVE Barack!! We LOVE Barack Obama!!

Posted by: love2much SE | March 22, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

America will show that f'ing incompetent pig in the WH what change looks like come November. We'll send his disgusting empty suit a** back to slums of Chicago where he belongs.

He's messing with the wrong people if he thinks he can get away with this fraud. Americans will never let such scum destroy this glorious nation.

2012 cannot come soon enough.

Posted by: DCer1 | March 22, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

By the way, Slamming, Reagan was the Governor of California before he became president. I'd say that gave him some qualifications. And no, Obama is NOT qualified and his experience shows more each day that passes.

Posted by: Lilycat1 | March 22, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

No matter how they spin it, there's no way we can pay for this. We're screwed no matter how you look at it.

Posted by: Lilycat1 | March 22, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

OK -- Let's get this straight.

The Republicans GAIN if the bill had passed.

The Republicans GAIN if the had bill failed.

Republicans -- Natural-Born-Winners in their own mind.

Posted by: marvinAndroid | March 22, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

"the 2000 election"
woops, 2008 elections. Freudian slip? lol

Posted by: tfspa | March 22, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

"No ,the Dems are going to see what change looks like in november and 2012, for ignoring the will of the majority"
---

And how do you figure that? Because of some ambiguous poll results? It's been pointed out many times that the same polls indicate that a majority agree with what is in the bill. Go figure.

What is clear it that the only poll that counts - the 2000 election - gave us a government that promised to reform Healthcare. Looks to me like they did it.

Oh, and this government also was also elected promising to keep the economy working. They did that too. But the job is not done. Now we get to look forward to Finance Reform. Another necessity where our GOP and teabag friends are going to claim Obama is ramming more legislation through - more fascism, totalitarianism, communism, socialism, basically all the worst things of the bible. And likely not one GOP vote. Are we seeing a pattern here?

Posted by: tfspa | March 22, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Was Jesus a Socialist? Is the Bible a Socialist Document?

Are Republicans schizophrenic?

Mick Penning, Stoke, North Staffordshire, English Midlands, UK.

ps Looks like someone is in for a good strapping with the 'bible belt'.

Posted by: mickpenning | March 22, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Well, over the weekend, we did prove that 'IGNORANCE IS BLISS'!! Just look at all of the laughter coming from the White House and the Speaker's office!

Posted by: wheeljc | March 22, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Fun to see the predictions of a Republican resurgence this November. The Repubs LOST this battle. This was their WATERLOO.

If this legislation had failed then Democrats would have reason to worry this November.

Obama and this Congress have just shown those who voted for them in '08 that their vote did count. And they'll be back in droves this November to make sure their vote counts again.

BTW, what's with conservatives angrily voting against their own best interests??? Conservatism seems to be a pre-existing condition :-D

Posted by: marvinAndroid | March 22, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

The fact is it was all or nothing for both parties and while many comments speak of revenge at the polls in November that will not come to pass. It really was all or nothing and the R's lost which will be a net negative at the polls. Don't be fooled by their noisy name calling.

Posted by: bob29 | March 22, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Here's some change for ya.

Our kids and grandkids will be paying an 80% tax rate, mostly to pay off the interest on the national debt. A wasteful government will rule every aspect of their lives.....cradle to grave.

They will be the ones anxious to reverse Obama's change !!

Posted by: bandcyuk | March 22, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

We hate Barack Obama, We hate Barack Obama, We hate Barack obama, We hate Barack Obama, We hate Barack Obama,We hate Barack Obama, We hate Barack Obama, We hate Barack obama, We hate Barack Obama, We hate Barack Obama,We hate Barack Obama, We hate Barack Obama, We hate Barack obama, We hate Barack Obama, We hate Barack Obama,We hate Barack Obama, We hate Barack Obama, We hate Barack obama, We hate Barack Obama, We hate Barack Obama,We hate Barack Obama, We hate Barack Obama, We hate Barack obama, We hate Barack Obama, We hate Barack Obama

Posted by: jhr1 | March 22, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

The United States is alone among developed nations in not offering its citizens comprehensive health care, with nearly 50 million Americans uninsured.

Japan has the longest healthy life expectancy on Earth and spends half (in percent of GDP) as much on health care as the United States. Japan has universal health care system. Everyone in Japan is required to get a health insurance policy, either at work or through a community-based insurer. The government picks up the tab for those who are too poor. It's a model of social insurance that is used in many wealthy countries. But it's
definitely not "socialized medicine." Eighty percent of Japan's hospitals are privately owned ? more than in the United States ? and almost every doctor's office is a private business. The Japanese go to the doctor about three times as often as Americans. Because there are no gatekeepers, they can see any specialist they want. Japanese patients also stay in the hospital much longer than Americans, on average. They love technology such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI); they have nearly twice as many scans per capita as Americans do. The Japanese Health Ministry tightly controls the price of health care down to the smallest detail. Every two years, the health care industry and the health ministry negotiate a fixed price for every procedure and every drug. That helps keep premiums to around $280 a month for the average Japanese family, and Japan's employers pick up at least half of that.
If you lose your job, you keep your health insurance.
Japanese insurers are a lot more accommodating than their American counterparts. For one thing, they can't deny a claim. And they have to cover everybody. Even an applicant with heart disease can't be turned down, that is forbidden. Nor do health care plans covering basic health care for workers and their families make a profit. Anything left over is carried over to the next year. If the carryover was big, then the premium rate would go down.
No one in Japan goes broke because of medical expenses.
Personal bankruptcy due to medical expenses is unheard of in Japan.

Posted by: leander2004 | March 22, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

They maybe smiling now but in November any member of congress who voted yes on this will be out of office. The movement to impeach has started and Obama is now a one termer. At every step of this Bill there are tax increases, fees etc. The middle class or what remains of it, that means actual taxpayers, will be taxed to death. There are no incentives for anyone to even consider paying health insurance as it is now free. Some one has to pay for all of this----who? The two wars are costing over $3 billion a DAY with no end in sight, Medicare will be stripped of $500 billion to pay for the uninsured and seniors vote. While I agree that ALL Americans should have health coverage this Bill is not how to do it.

Posted by: KBlit | March 22, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jhr1 | March 22, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Nice to see the Rep. getting ther knickers in a twist. This will be the platform for Obama / Democrats to take even bigger leads in both houses esp. when Obama resolves the massive and poor management of the ecomony by the republicians. Clinton saved americians from father bush and obama will save america from son bush - republician ideas on the economy fail time and again

Posted by: tahir_maher | March 22, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

hermann 532, i''m sorry that from now on i have to support your sorry a*s and the sorry as8ses of the lazy welfare cheats like you.

Posted by: jhr1 | March 22, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

tallitha1, i didnt see the posts but i can sure tell a crybaby weenie when i read one. why don't you crawl back in your cradle and SUCK on that bottle?

Posted by: jhr1 | March 22, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Nothing could ever make me happier than reading about the republican crybaby losers going apoplectic because some poor cancer victim somewhere won't die for lack of health insurance.

Posted by: Heerman532 | March 22, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jhr1 | March 22, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Change we can believe in will start this Fall when we begin the wholesale dumping of democrats from our government. We will continue on that Change we can believe in theme when we finish the job in 2012, culminating in the reversal of this bill. It's going to be a fun two years!

Posted by: SayWhat5 | March 22, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Well! We FINALLY DID IT!

We sold our souls to the Devil .... Obama, the anti-Christ; Pelosi, reincarnate Lucifer; and Reid, Soros, Wright et al ... tools of the devil.

I pray for the souls of Stupak and Kucinich who sold their souls and traded their "Sacred Honor" to these dealers of deceit.

Jeremiah Wright got his wish ... God HAS DAMNED America ... through the efforts of his congregation.

Posted by: esquire2 | March 22, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

The treasury is being emptied by the fatherless welfare garbage and illegals.

God help us all.

Posted by: tjhall1 | March 22, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

KDOFOUR: Our current president is MUCH MORE qualified to be president than the sainted Ronnie Reagan was! He, too, was a millionaire, with NO POLITICAL EXPERIENCE!!! Anyone who is NOT BIASED can look at the president's resume and see that he is...indeed...well qualified to be the president. Of course, to SOME of you he'll NEVER be good enough!!!

Posted by: slamming | March 22, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I find it funny that people that claim that Democrats ignored "The will of the people" fail to acknowledge that many of the people opposed to this bill were opposed because it didn't do ENOUGH to change health care - and didn't include a public option. Opposition from the left. So all the predictions of doom and gloom of Dems losing their seats this fall I think are misplaced.

And not only that, the hypocricy of moderate Republicans not supporting the bill, especially since it includes many provisions put forward by Gingrich in the 90s, is fairly obvious. They defended their position with lies and misdirection, and never was that more apparent than watching the debate last night. It was pretty disgusiting, actually.

Posted by: Mazarin | March 22, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Obama: "This is what change looks like."No ,the Dems are going to see what change looks like in november and 2012, for ignoring the will of the majority.And if americans still arnt convinced theres a culture war raging after seeing the Dems go it 'alone' on this so caled "historic vote"then nothing will wake them up.A battle has been lost,but this war is anthing but over.

Posted by: votingrevolution | March 22, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

"This is what change looks like."

==============================

LOL...what's that? Accounting gimmicks, deceit, vote buying with our hard earned tax dollars, abuse of power? This guy is so full of himself. It's unbelievable how highly he thinks of himself, and how lowly he thinks of the American people.

Posted by: conservativemaverick | March 22, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

LIFE & $Money-Saving PREVENTATIVES still being Ignored in place of $DEATH-promoting 'Disease & Sickness', $Waste & Suffering!! -- It "PASSED".- GOD,- 4+ Decades of 'do-Nothing' CRAP by a mostly do-Nothing CONGRESS's!! -- But America,-- 'what' is really in, or Not in this BILL? - Hopefully the OBAMA Adminstration & 'turn-coat' RED &&& BLUE CONGRESS told the Truth about including "PREVENTION". DA!!?? - Not very likely. - Both, OBAMA, & CONGRESS pushed- supposedly For, and Demanded Real(da?)"PREVENTATIVES"! -- And the Most Needed, Most Important, and #1 over-All systemic health "PREVENTATIVE: IS:-- proper "DENTAL & ORAL Health Care!!! -- So if this so-called Health Reform Bill, does Not include "DENTAL" for all Suffering Adults in Poverty,- then this bill is just the same-ol' same-ol' pack of CRAP LIES!! -- And without "DENTAL",- it is still a $front for the Insurance & $Medical $Special-Interests,- $Profiting off of the SICK!! -- Without "DENTAL", this bill is a Joke,- and is still the same-ol' "SICKNESS & DISEASE" CRAP-ola!!! --- NO "DENTAL"= Systemic Diseases (Cancer, Diabetes, Lung-disease, Depression, Strokes, Systemic Infections, Heart Disease, etc)-!? - If this bill does Not include "DENTAL" for all,- then it is a JOKE on Wellness, Prevention, & true over-All HEALTH. -- jward52

Posted by: jward52 | March 22, 2010 6:58 AM | Report abuse

Thank you to the news desk person with whom I spoke in the wee hours this morning for removing from this page some of the most vile, racist and threatening posts I have ever witnessed on these comment boards, and I thought I'd seen it all!

They were directed at the President and were quite frightening. I heard from friends who Tweet that similar postings were floating around in that venue.

People, get a grip. We can differ without resorting to personal attacks and visciousness.

Posted by: talitha1 | March 22, 2010 6:13 AM | Report abuse

Come November he'll see what REAL change looks like!!

Posted by: rdrunner82 | March 22, 2010 5:53 AM | Report abuse

"So the elite few still control the masses. The thing I never understood about this so-called democracy is how a hard working 9-5 individual can elect an ivy league elitiest( worth millions of dollars) to represent their 9-5 values?You've been had again morons, Obama does not care about you just as much as Bush didn't care, just as much as Ralph Nader doesn't care. They are all cut from the same tree and you morons fall for it every 2-4 years."

You gotta love the wisdom of the masses.

Meanwhile, in the real world... Liberals everywhere in America are celebrating tonight. Well done, Democrats! Thanks for having the common sense and courage to do the right thing. We hoped, and you changed.

Posted by: borntorun45 | March 22, 2010 4:36 AM | Report abuse

Change? Yeah in leading actor, from George Bush to Barack Obama....starring as Mr. President...the guy is just playing his role, and he must be doing a good job because they sheep are sopping it up. The man is doing what he was bread to do, just like all the other leading actors have done. The elite few (who's lives are completely out of touch with the normal 9-5 individual) continue to control the masses through fear, made up wars, made up econimic surplus, deficits, etc......it never stops. Wake up people!

Posted by: kdofour2000 | March 22, 2010 3:11 AM | Report abuse

What a bunch of moronic sheep you people are. Democrat, Republican, Green Party....all sheep. So the elite few still control the masses. The thing I never understood about this so-called democracy is how a hard working 9-5 individual can elect an ivy league elitiest( worth millions of dollars) to represent their 9-5 values? You've been had again morons, Obama does not care about you just as much as Bush didn't care, just as much as Ralph Nader doesn't care. They are all cut from the same tree and you morons fall for it every 2-4 years.

Posted by: kdofour2000 | March 22, 2010 3:06 AM | Report abuse

The best thing about this is I love to see John Boehner get himself all worked up and start frothing at the mouth. This should guarantee that he'll be doing that for years to come.

Posted by: SharptonVoter | March 22, 2010 1:56 AM | Report abuse

2014 for most, dorsano

unless the Republicans screw it up.

Get on the phone, buddy

Get online.

Get your voice heard.

YOU are the change you've been waiting for, and you finally have a body in the White House who listens.

Dont wait.

Call, Write...

NOW.

Posted by: Thinker_ | March 22, 2010 1:53 AM | Report abuse

God HAS Blessed America...

In the form of Barack Obama!

FINALLY!!!

A President with the political nuts to stand up and do what is RIGHT.

FINALLY!!

A President who is WORTHY of the ideals Washington, Franklin, Jefferson, and Adams.

Thank You, Jesus, for Barack Obama.

And Thank You, Barack Obama, for no being timid in answering your calling.

Historic, Yes.

Yes We Can.

Yes We Can.

YES! We Can, and DID.

THANK YOU AMERICA!

THANK YOU WASHINGTON!

THANK YOU JEFFERSON!

THANK YOU FRANKLIN!

THANK YOU, AMERICA!!!!!

Posted by: Thinker_ | March 22, 2010 1:50 AM | Report abuse

What an exciting day to be an American. I'm so happy!

Posted by: jeffwacker | March 22, 2010 1:31 AM | Report abuse

Tens of millions of Americans will now have healthcare. What a huge step forward for the country! We have finally joined every other developed nation on Earth in providing for our citizens.

Posted by: yehadut | March 22, 2010 1:22 AM | Report abuse

democrats are TRAITORS

Posted by: Imarkex | March 22, 2010 1:08 AM | Report abuse

did something actually get done in congress? I don't believe it. when I can enroll my last two 26 something college grads working in temp jobs with my health insurance company I'll believe that we've made progress.

Posted by: dorsano | March 22, 2010 12:52 AM | Report abuse