Tea Party groups come to town to lobby against health-care reform

By Amy Gardner
Tea party organizers came to Capitol Hill Tuesday night to kick off a weeklong campaign they're calling "Take the Town Halls to Washington," an effort to block Democrats' latest push for health reform.

It's not clear how many protestors will actually travel to Washington for the campaign, which is being organized by the Nationwide Tea Party Coalition and Tea Party Nation. Leaders say busloads of local grassroots activists from around the country will visit Washington over the course of the week.

Mark Skoda, leader of the Memphis Tea Party, said the goal is to visit with the 50 or so undecided members of Congress and block President Obama's goal of passing of health-care reform by March 18. Activists hope to meet with congressional leaders every day between now and then, with a culminating rally on March 16 at the Capitol, Skoda said.

The Nationwide Tea Party Coalition is an "informal federation" of about 30 tea party groups.

By Amy Gardner  |  March 10, 2010; 7:41 AM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency , Health Care
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Massa on King: 'I don't have the energy to fight everyone all the time'
Next: Massa has media groping for answers

Comments

"Not many folks inside the beltway seem to be listening to the Will of the People these days. Americans are speaking up, standing up and calling their elected officials to task. Will they listen? "

80% of Americans want some form of health care reform, are you listening Washington?

Posted by: knjincvc | March 16, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Bob Dylan Had It Right!
The Times They Are a-Changin

To Wit: The 3rd verse of that timeless Song!

"Come senators congressmen
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway
Don't block up the hall.
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There's a battle outside
And it's ragin'.
It'll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls
For the times they are a-changin"

Sound familiar? What was true in 1964 is just as true today!

There is a battle outside. Outside of Washington that is, and it is certainly ragin'."

Democrats & Republicans alike will hear from the American Voters, loud and clear, throughout the Primary Season and then again on November 2, 2010.

Yes, the times they are a-changin'

Posted by: tramsdell | March 10, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

I've seen the Tennessee Tea Party folks. Most are on Medicare. They drive on government supported transportation routes into DC, then rally up at a government supported public facility to scream, wear silly costumes,and generally look like blittering idiots.Since these folks did not utter a word when the Bush administration squandered an inherited surplus, took us into a war on a lie, then spent billions to fund that same war while cutting taxes on the rich - I find it hard to believe they care about the federal budget. They have either drunk too much Right Wing Kool Ade or they have spent the past ten years in a coma. If they are worried about the Constitution they should remind themselves that we have a president who is a constitutional expert who taught constitutional law at Harvard. Could know more than Glenn Beck.Or maybe they just don't like having a black president. I am amazed that anybody pays any attention to them. But I guess they are good for the Democrats cause they look really crazy.

Posted by: oldwoman | March 10, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm so sorry I'm not there in DC to see the Tea Party arrive to stop health care for their fellow citizens. Wish I could take a census to determine how many of them are on Medicare. The TN Tea Party members I've seen for the most part are enjoying their Medicare while they grumble about government run health care programs. The funniest thing is that they move over a government supported highway or other form of transportation to get to DC, then roll into town to rally up some at some public place that is government owned and supported so they can scream anti-goverment silliness. Where were these people when President Bush took us into war in Iraq on a lie? Where were these people when the Bush administration squandered billions on this made up Iraq War while cutting taxes for the rich? Where were they when the Bush administration allowed the financial barons to run ramshod over the country? Where were they when Bush began to spend the Clinton surplus? You will never make me believe these nutcases have any concern for America. They don't like having a black president. And they have drunk the Right Wing Koolade.

Posted by: oldwoman | March 10, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I think it is a misrepresentation to classify opposion to the proposed health care bill as "blocking health care reform." My understanding of the proposal is that it will not reform health care but rather totally transform our present system. There are too many unknowns involved in it, the most important of which is the real cost.
I am not a member of the Tea Party movement, but I do understand its concerns.
Reforms are necessary but they can be accomplished without a 2000 page bill that may be filled with earmaks as well. Attaching a financial aid bill that will essentially lead to nationalization of education is just reprehensible. If there is one more thing that we do not need it is the creation of another massive beaurocracy with all of the special interests getting a piece of the pie.
Each day I become more convinced that term limits are the most essential element to reforming Washington, and thus the state of our government. Personally, I am fed up with all of them.

Posted by: peggwally | March 10, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey people; your guy is a bum and spends earmarks. Throw him out! My guy is a prince and brings home the bacon. Three cheers for my guy.

We don't need no stinkin' health care. I pray a lot. Don't you? If God wants you to be sick, who are you to complain?

They're repaving my broken street. I laid down in front of the bulldozer and said I want a tax cut instead. I showed them.

Yeah, I'm afraid. Very afraid. We're all going to Hell in a hand basket. Or is it a hand cart. I'd like the hand cart because I don't like to walk and a basket looks fruity.

Love your neighbor? That's socialism. Let your neighbor take care of himself, like a good ol' rugged pioneer individualist. That's what made America great. Isn't it?

But I digress...

Posted by: martykz | March 10, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

The teabaggers have been firmly discredited as a hoax prepetrated by leftist elements to make conservatives look stupind. Anyone still participating in this rediculous travesty should realize they are being duped

Posted by: jb777 | March 10, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

It is dishonest to call the current legislation "reform". It's lots of things to lots of folks, but reform it is not.

Posted by: dacyzyn | March 10, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I receive a regular newsletter from Tea Party Nation, and in that I see as many members are "for" health care reform as I do "against". I don't think the Tea Party will have the bums in Washington shaking in their boots.

But I hope the bums up for re-election at the mid-terms are shaking in their boots--we voters mean to get them out of office! Regardless of the party they represent.

Posted by: bwshook1 | March 10, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse