MLB not boycotting Arizona

By Krissah Thompson
Baseball commissioner Bud Selig told reporters today that he is not moving the 2011All-Star Game from Phoenix because of Arizona's new immigration law.

At a news conference following an owners meeting Thursday, he defended the league's hiring of minorities and suggested he would not involve the league in the boycott of Arizona launched by groups opposed to the state's immigration policy.

"Apparently all the people around and in minority communities think we're doing OK. That's the issue, and that's the answer," he said. "I told the clubs today: 'Be proud of what we've done.' They are. We should. And that's our answer. We control our own fate, and we've done very well."

The Associated Press reported that Chicago White Sox Manager Ozzie Guillen said he wouldn't participate in the game if it remains in Arizona because of the law. The Major League Baseball Players Association has already condemned the law. Political leaders, including Sen. Robert Menendez, had asked Selig to move the game.

By Krissah Thompson  |  May 13, 2010; 6:18 PM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Paterson snub?
Next: Souter's bachelorhood sparked debate in '90

Comments

Some of you are responding based on your emotions rather than your intellect. The protests are not about requiring non-citizens to carry "papers"/ID. The way the Arizona law is written it stands to subject AMERICAN citizens, some who have been citizens for generations, to prove they are legal. And, as much as we all would like to dismiss or deny it, the citizens most likely to be confronted will be NON-WHITES...primarily HISPANICS! The Arizona officials, and many of you here, clearly defend the law on the basis of "doing something" about illegal immigrants crossing their border from Mexico. And we all know those are not white folk!

I strongly support stopping illegal immigration...it is a security risk. But I absolutely stand hard and fast against any law, policy, or procedure that diminishes the rights of American citizens, regardless of ethnicity. Men in my family were in combat in World Wars 1 and 2 and Vietnam, but, upon return to America, we faced a multitude of discriminations...based only on race/color of skin.

I, too, have seen the polls that indicate a majority of Americans support the Arizona law. But what many of you fail to comment on is that same poll indicates that those same Americans recognize that racial profiling if a probable outcome...therefore seemingly supporting the violation of the rights of "certain" American citizens if it benefits "other" American citizens. That is "pre-1964" social acceptance. Anyone of have any questions about the ethnicity breakdown of those answering that poll.

Here's another piece for thought...does it cause you supporters to "pause" knowing that the law does not address individuals, businesses, or corporations that hire illegal immigrants? The law says police officers can be sued for not vigerously enforcing the law, but doesn't even mention any penalty for those who engage in "aiding and abetting" violating the law. I wonder why!!

Final thought, someone once said..."When facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the Flag and carrying the cross!!"

Posted by: 1hotgolfer | May 17, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Federal immigration law requires all NON US CITIZENs to carry ID to prove their entitlement to be in the US. Arizona law doesn't change that. Federal agents are entitled to ask for papers if they have a reasonable suspicion that someone is in the US illegally. AZ law doesn't change that.

The great majority of Americans of all parties support the AZ law. Amazing, as you wouldn't know it from the media, but we are still a country that believes in rule of law. God bless America.

Posted by: samwoods77 | May 15, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

"after all, Americas favorite sport is baseball"

Not correct. America's favorite sport is NFL football. A cursory glance at TV ratings reveals that.

And the commissioner made a hasty decision. He should have waited, to see how things play out. Things could be really ugly by next year, and he may not want the game attached to what's going on.

Already, a murder has occurred that family members of the victim say is related to the law.

Posted by: mypitts2 | May 15, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

I am a legal immigrant, a naturalized citizen. When still permanent resident, I was carrying my "legal alien" card with me all the time. It is a size of a driver license, easy to carry in a wallet along with a driver's license. This is the law.
Comparing Arizona law to Nazi, shows to me, that the ones who do that must be high school drop outs. I came from Poland, remember family stories about the WW2, how my family survived Nazi occupied Poland. It irritates me to the point of blood boiling in my veins, when read such moronic comparisons. Our government, esp. our President, have done nothing to stop gangs and drugs to cross the border, but they have the hutzpah to sue Arizona and make fun of the law. And I voted for these morons. I wholeheartedly support Arizona law. Away with illegal aliens. They have no business to be here. It is not their country, even though looking at our Congress one would think it is representing more illegal aliens than citizens of this country. AWAY WITH ALL THESE MORONS. SICK AND TIRED OF THEM.

Posted by: wggodek | May 14, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Good choice MLB. Arizona you have my support for this is the UNITED STATES of America. All this fuss about people that do not care that they broke the law by entering our country illegally amazes me. All elected officials that do not want to secure the 2000 miles of border, and enforce the laws of America should be fired we should not have to wait until the next election to vote them out. When you work in the private sector and you refuse to do your job properly you get fired. It is time to stop with the excuses and sob stories, Haitians are suffering (even prior to the earthquake) to and they are not entering our country illegally by the thousands per week. Please boycott L.A./CA I cannot beleive our elected officials chose to represent illegal immigrants, their family, friends, and businesses who employ and house illegal immigrants. I would also like to know why we do not at least start deporting the illegal immigrants in our over crowded jail and prison system or is that also considered racial profiling.

Posted by: ashya | May 14, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

When we lived overseas (for my husband's job) we had to carry photo identification at all times. If I am stopped by a policeman here in the U.S. I have to present my photo identification and he checks it out. I am a U.S. citizen and am not afraid to be asked if I "belong" here. I guess if I were an illegal, it might be different; I may be worried that I would be found out and deported; but then again that's what happens when you break the laws of a civilized country. I am tired of all the "political correctness" in this country...if there weren't so many illegals living off the backs of hard working law abiding citizens, then perhaps Arizona wouldn't have had to put this law into place. Congratulations to the law makers there...they show us that they aren't afraid to be "unpopular" in order to better serve their citizens. Congratulations too, to the MLB for not falling into the trap of boycotting Arizona. Those states and individuals who are boycotting Arizona are going to feel the backlash at some point...perhaps we should boycott those states; like Massachusetts etc.

Posted by: momofour | May 14, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

My Grandparents along with my Husbands Grandparents, Father and his Grandparents on his Mothers side were all immigrants. Legal immigrants who came to this country , learned the language and went to work legally. They payed taxes and never received public assistance to survive. They all had many lean days but worked. They payed their own bills, started a business and took care of themselves.
When I leave my house every day I have my drivers license with me for identification if asked.
When I go to the bank I need it, if I am stopped by the police for any reason, I need it. etc.
When I travel I need it.
If I call the cable company, etc., to change my address, or service I have to identify myself with my SS#.
Is this profiling? No it is a means of identification.
I am tired of all the fuss about our country being against the Illegal immigrants.
When our Attorney General of the USA is asked a question about the Arizona law and he says he has not read it or been briefed on it we all should be worried about who is leading this country.
I would like someone who is more learned than I, to list the qualifications for different countries that we as Americans would need to follow to enter a country illegally and be able to apply for and receive hospital care, food stamps, housing assistance, etc. Also if I am in an country illegally and have a child will this child be a citizen?

I could go on but we are sick of being called racists. We are Americans who are tired of being suckers.

I for one plan to support Arizona.

Posted by: albacore13a | May 14, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

When I travel I need it.
Is this profiling? No it is a means of identification.

I for one plan to support Arizona.

Posted by: albacore13a | May 14, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Viewers should boycott major league baseball.

Posted by: gwcox2 | May 14, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Shame on Bud Selig for allowing the All-Star game in Arizona. The first State to adopt the Nazi practice of profiling everyone and anyone and ASKING THEM TO PRODUCE "their papers" (which might have been left at home) and if the papers were not then given to a Policeman, soon anyone and everyone could end up in a jail cell. Sure, perhaps to be released, but cells can get crowded very quickly. As for BUD Selig -- this BUD is not for me, and shouldn't be for baseball lovers.

Posted by: eckruch1 | May 13, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

It seems to be a wise move by the baseball commissioner to not boycott Arizona because of the new law. After all, Americas favorite sport is baseball and by getting involved it could have negative consequences for the sport that America loves. It is evident that many Americans support Arizonas new law and feel the state must step in and enforce some type of law since our federal government has failed us! As for a family vacation we plan not to vacation in any of the states/cities that choose to boycott Arizona!

Posted by: sharonaspencer | May 13, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

It seems to be a wise move by the baseball commissioner and not boycotting Arizona because of the new law. After all, Americas favorite sport is baseball and by getting involved it could have negative consequences for the sport that America loves. It is evident that many Americans support Arizonas new law and feel the state must step in and enforce some type of law since our federal government has failed us! As for a family vacation we plan not to vacation in any of the states/cities that choose to boycott Arizona!

Posted by: sharonaspencer | May 13, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse