Obama will use Memorial weekend for a trip home to Chicago

By Anne E. Kornblut
With the long Memorial Day weekend on the horizon, President Obama is finally addressing one of the great broken promises of his administration: his early pledge to return home to Chicago every six weeks or so.

In 16 months at the White House, the Obamas have been back home just once - in February of 2009. But they plan to make the trip over Memorial Day weekend, an official said. After arriving on Thursday night, they will visit with friends and participate in private events.

On Monday, Obama will make remarks at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery, south of Chicago - missing the usual tradition of presidents speaking at Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial Day.

Vice President Biden and his wife will appear in Obama's place, laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, as well as holding a breakfast for Gold Star families -- families whose loved ones died in military service -- at the White House earlier that day.

By Anne E. Kornblut  |  May 24, 2010; 7:00 PM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency , National Security
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Democrats cautious on Obama's spending-cut proposal
Next: Obama to return to the Gulf Coast

Comments

What angers me about Obama not showing up at Arlington,is not so much that he didn't show up but rather the reason why he didn't show up. Obama simply decided to go home for the weekend. Could he not have selected a different weekend to go home.

Previous Presidents who were not present at Arlington on Memorial Day had legitimate reasons not to be.

Posted by: Carkea | May 31, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Thank you to all the men and women that have served our country and paid the ultimate sacrafice for our safety and freedom. Thank you to our Veterans that have served our country and also have paid many sacrafices. Thank you to all men and women that are currently serving in the military. We know you are making a sacrafice each day. Thank you to the future men and women that will serve our country. Each of you from the past, present and future are honorable and courageous.

It is a shame our President does not feel the same way as we Americans feel. It is his duty to go to Arlington National Cementary to lay a wreath on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. To pay respect to the men and women that lost their lives, our Veterans and our current military for our safety and freedom. Instead he is in Chicago bbq'ing up dogs and burgers. What a shame our so-called President is NOT A TRUE AMERICAN. Oh, I forgot - he really is not American now is he? NOPE!!

I cannot wait for this sorry President to be out of office.

Posted by: A_Proud_American | May 31, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey Joe36, why don’t you quote Snopes correctly Bush was in NORMANDY at the memorial ceremonies when he wasn’t at Arlington.

Posted by: jim787 | May 30, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

(Short version: George W. missed one while he was in France, George H.W. did not attend once while he was president (he was vacationing for 3 of those 4), and Reagan missed it 4 times while in office for various reasons.)

Nothing to see here, move along...

Posted by: joe36 | May 29, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

(Short version: he apparently will be at Arlington, and oh by the way, George W. missed one while he was in France, George H.W. did not attend once while he was president, and Reagan missed it 4 times while in office for various reasons.)

Posted by: joe36 | May 29, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we all need to keep in mind that everyone is intitled to their own opinion about our president. I agree with alot of comments, disagree with others. Let people say how the feel and still show others RESPECT. On Memroial Day maybe some of us should try turning off our computers and step out side and look around. And remeber that our soliders fought and lost their lives for us to be able to do what we do. Memorial Day is about showing respect, thanking and remembering all the soliders that sacrificed their lives for us. Memorial Day is a day for our soliders not our president. Keep in mind we have the choice to vote for him (Obama)or not. With that in mind: Show respect for our soliders this weekend and always. For once lets leave the president out of spot light, that seems to be his favorite place to be.

Thank you to all who have served in our military and still serving, along with all the other soliders that sacrificed their lives for us. THANK YOU TO OUR SOLIDERS, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.

Posted by: pixystix1 | May 29, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I think he should be there. However, he can still honor the veterans and he isn't the first President to miss this. I know that President Bush and President Reagan did.

Posted by: tanddi | May 29, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

First of all, this is a trip that all Presidents should make. Going there does not mean that he doesn't respect other veterans, but by not going it means that it is too inconvenient for him. His arrogance and hatred of this country is nauseating.

And to proudsonofavet, thank you for your parents service to our country but when someone shows there lack of faith in this commander and chief it doesn't make them racist. Also Cemetery does not have an "a" in it, moron.

Posted by: Dukeinatlanta | May 29, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dukeinatlanta | May 29, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

where does it say he will not honor our vets,he will honer them at a diff cemetary are the vets buried in chicago any less vets than those buried in arlington grow up and act like adults where were all of you when bush was destroying our nationhe was the worst excuse for a president we ever had and he did more harm than all former president combined he ran up the most natnl debt and now it Obama fault he inherited 2 wars a huge natnl debtand a whole host of disasters from bush but somehow itys his fault ? bush is a criminal who should be tried and convicted for his crimes ne has the blood of thousands of our soldiers on his hands becouse of his lies and failures where were your hateful comments than most of what i see in your comments is hatred fueled by racism this is2010 I am a 44 year old white male my dad faught in veit nam and i am proud to be a democrat bush caused so much world wide hatred towardsthe US that it will never be the same under bush we lost the respect and credibility of all other nations what a shame but i guess all of that is obamas fault get a grip and wake up

Posted by: proudsonofavet | May 29, 2010 2:36 AM | Report abuse

what a bunch of hatred and racist ignorant comments

Posted by: proudsonofavet | May 29, 2010 2:13 AM | Report abuse

I am totally disgusted that the President will not honor our veterans that have protected our Country which have died!!! I have a son in the service right now and it just makes me sick to think that the Country he is fighting for is not thinking of his colleagues on Memorial Day which is a federal holiday to honor those that have died and fought for our Country!!!

Posted by: breastcancersurvivor | May 28, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

EmilyBeth1,

"I think the angry people who have commented on this article need to relax and maybe take a step back. Memorial Day is about honoring our fallen and living veterans who have helped us live in this beautifully free country. I know my father is one of them."
NO!! Memorial Day is about honoring those who have fallen in service, Veteran's Day is about all Veterans, I know I I am one of them as is my Father, and both of my grandfathers, and uncounted dozens of my close relatives living and dead, including a MOH recipient.
Please know of what you speak before you do or chastise others for their opinions.

Posted by: CallingOutFools | May 28, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Omylanta, are people getting worked up.

The President is honoring the nation's fallen military on Memorial Day in a national cemetery in Chicago.

Frankly, I am disappointed at the Post with this article. If what other posters state is true — that other presidents have chosen different national or international cemeteries — then this is totally inflammatory and improperly reported.

Honestly, I expect better from the Post.

Posted by: cfow1 | May 27, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

But, also this day is about family and remembering why we fight so hard for our freedom. President Obama has a very difficult job that not many people want to do and he hasn't been home in a very long time, despite his original intentions. I think he deserves to visit his family and friends and as long as he honors our veterens that is all I ask for. I like knowing that Arlington is not the only cemetary that will be recognized on Memorial Day.
If you are angry at Obama for this small action he is doing then you don't see the full picture. His job is near impossible, yet he chose to run for office and WE elected him in by majority. Let the man do his job and let him visit his hometown and honor them for their veterens for they are no different then the ones buried at Arlington.

Posted by: emilybeth1 | May 27, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: emilybeth1 | May 27, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

It would sure save a lot of time if everyone would get their facts straight before wasting everyones time with lies and deceptive statements. Even the Post has problems with the latter.
It pays to investigate the actual facts before opening your mouth.

Posted by: pirate1999 | May 27, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

What dictionary does ffakr use? Webster 1980 defines socialism. "1. any of various economic and political theories advocating collective or government ownership and administration of the means of production and distribution of goods- 2a: ... no private property- 2b: ... means of production ...owned and controlled by the state- 3. a stage of society in Marxist theory transitional between capitalism and communism and distinguished by unequal distribution of goods and pay according to work done." Obama is playing with socialist fire and the USA at the stake.

Posted by: LookItUp | May 27, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I become disturbed in my soul when I see comments that end in "God Bless America" when the conversation before that is so hateful. If you can say this phrase then you need to understand the thoughts of "the God" that you ask to bless America. Your comments about those in authority are totally opposite of "the God" who you ask to bless America. Instead of taking a que from the media or some other negative person...pick up the Book and read it. Let the God that you ask for peace direct your thoughts to do as He commanded. He said pray for leaders who have authority so that we can live in peace. It is hard to run and walk at the same time. You either will do one or the other. You can't pray and hate at the same time. Yes, I believe in speaking freely but know how to and when to do it. There is a difference in making a constructive criticism and spewing out hateful words.

Posted by: dpUSA | May 27, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm taking a nonpartisan approach to the subject of Memorial Day by standing up for both Barack Obama and George W. Bush. Obama will be paying his respects at a national cemetery. That's what counts. We have national cemeteries all over this great country. Bush honored our fallen heroes at the American World War II cemetery in Normandy. There are American WWII military cemeteries in several European countries, and our flag proudly waves above all of them. The following video is a reminder of that fact.

Posted by: historysearcher | May 27, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: historysearcher | May 27, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

President Ronald Reagan was away from Arlington on Memorial Day on four occasions during his eight years in office: In 1981, he (who had been seriously wounded in an assassination attempt six weeks earlier) spent the Memorial Day weekend at his ranch in Santa Barbara, California, while Vice-President George H.W. Bush laid the wreath at Arlington. In 1983, he attended a summit meeting in Williamsburg, Virginia, while Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Thayer represented the administration at the wreath-laying ceremony. In 1987, he spent Memorial Day at the Camp David presidential retreat while Navy Secretary James Webb participated in the wreath-laying ceremony. And on Memorial Day 1988, he was out of the U.S., attending a summit meeting in Moscow.

Posted by: tls_tool | May 27, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

President Reagan did not lay a wreath at Arlington in 1983 so he could attend a summit meeting. George H.W. Bush skipped the Arlington ceremony in 1992 and played golf in Kennebunkport.

Were they also unpatriotic?

Posted by: MPAGD | May 27, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Obama was born in '61, so he would have been a mighty young protester in the 60s and 70s. I was in college during that era, but most everyone I knew was too busy studying to go and join the few protesters who made the headlines.

Posted by: fairandbalanced5 | May 27, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I am a mother of an active duty soldier and I have always respected our Country and what it stands for and I really believe it is a disgrace not honoring our veterans and loved ones that have passed away serving our country on the National Holiday "Memorial Day"!!!!

Posted by: breastcancersurvivor | May 27, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: breastcancersurvivor | May 27, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

To: karstrial
Most states have from 1 to a handful of National Cemeteries with the exception of 10 states. Too many to name to you, and I have visited Camp Nelson National Cemetery in KY, Woodlawn Cemetery Soldiers Lot in Mass., Long Island National Cemetery in NY, Raleigh National Cemetery in NC when I sereved in the USMC, & Marietta National Cemetery once a year when I go there to train for my job. Now I feel better for posting my disagreement with YOUR president not attending Arlington ceremonies.

Posted by: native65 | May 27, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

“If you really think about it, do you really want him to go their anyways? It was a joke he was invited to speak at West Point last week; I would have preferred he stayed away. Let him go to Chicago and leave the military activities to more honorable people.”

Posted by: native65 | May 27, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Obama to return to Chicago ? The way he's comported himself, I thought he never left .

Posted by: puck-101 | May 27, 2010 6:34 AM | Report abuse

For the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers.

Posted by: dickey762001 | May 27, 2010 4:12 AM | Report abuse

This is the main reason. Why it is important for the President. To visit Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial Day. The President also acts as the next of kin by accepting the interment flag at the end of the ceremony. Point blank as a Leader in our Armed Forces you do not use your rank and position for personal gain.
How convent for the President to visit Abraham National Cemetery. So he can Visit Chicago.
US Army Sergeant!

Posted by: dickey762001 | May 27, 2010 4:08 AM | Report abuse

Amazing that most of the folks commenting on here think there is only ONE national cemetery - Arlington. Pathetic to think the President can't pay his respects at another national cemetery in the heartland of the country. What happened to recognizing and honoring those who served our country and aren't part of the Washington crowd? This brings recognition to all the other national cemeteries around the country.
Before you post your angry, hateful comments , you better be able to name other national cemeteries and state how many you've visited.... ALL national cemeteries are hallowed grounds, regardless of where they are in the country.

Posted by: karstrial | May 27, 2010 2:46 AM | Report abuse

I don't know why you pantie-waste Liberals/Progressives/Commies/Socialists/Marxists feel it's OK for a President of the US to dis his military as Commander-In-Chief. It IS tradition for the POTUS to lay the wreath at The Tomb Of the Unknown on Memorial Day.

As someone who, along with MOST of his staff, protested our Troops in the 60's and 70's, he still has, I feel, GREAT DISDAIN, for ALL of our military both past and present.

Until you've walked in our shoes, you have absolutely NO voice in what he may do on this very solemn day. It is IN NO WAY ACCEPTABLE for him to take a "vacation" from supporting those whom serve under him.

I feel it's time for Congress to intact a a law REQUIRING the POTUS to be a Veteran in order to be on the ballot for president.

GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! And a special thanks to the families and friends of those Veterans who are Honored for their ULTIMATE SACRIFICE.

Posted by: MDSBigPaPa | May 26, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

To "ffakr"
Where and when did you serve?
Could you please share the service and organizations you served with.
Thank you.

Posted by: karen56 | May 26, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Why is it the right-wing nuts that post here seem to think the only soldiers worth honoring on Memorial Day are buried in Arlington? The President will participate in Memorial Day services at a different National Cemetery this year, and that's fine with me. I think he should visit a different National Cemetery every year. All families of the fallen deserve to be honored by the President.

Posted by: Mazarin | May 26, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

lets see...BBQ ("finally addressing one of the great(???) broken promises of his administration: his early pledge to return home to Chicago every six weeks or so", like he hasn't broken so many others!) Ms Kornbluts' article is a crap piece! Poor woman! His decision doesn't surprize me in the least...remember THIS IS the man that refused to wear a 29 cent flag pin and before he was elected refused to place his hand over his heart when our anthem played...tsk tsk for voting O as your President...God Bless the USA!

Posted by: summa04 | May 26, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Wow,ffakr you sure opened my eyes. First get up on your facts. 0bamba on his census form marked black/African not brown or mixed, guess you must be a racist. I hope on the rest of your rambling that you get help with whatever drugs you are on and don't go on for days. The one thing that I didn't see in your ramblings was a thank you for all of the men and women past, present and future that are and will be fighting for your right to drug out in your parents basement and for your freedom to say such stupid things. Good luck...

Posted by: kennethy692008 | May 26, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

P.S. to all of you proud veterans who are screaming about the "socialist-in-chief"...
Please do us all a favor and give up your VA benefits. God forbid the government do anything for the people.

BTW.. socialism doesn't mean what you think it does. Crack a dictionary once in a while.

---
so·cial·ism   [soh-shuh-liz-uhm] Show IPA
–noun
a theory or system of social organization that advocates the vesting of the ownership and control of the means of production and distribution, of capital, land, etc., in the community as a whole.
---

It doesn't mean providing for the least of us.
It doesn't mean offering OPTIONAL public insurance.
It doesn't mean letting a tax cut on the wealthiest 2% of Americans expire while giving everyone else a break.
Heck, it doesn't even me VA benefits.. as much as I like to poke dumb people.

Racist America. BBQ and Watermelons. I can't say I'm surprised. I'm shocked by violent racist brethren haven't killed him yet.
"Socialism" is just the new "n****r" for the stupid.

.. to the veterans specifically.. I respect the service but that doesn't buy you a pass on the stupidity. Turn off FOX news and read a book.

Posted by: ffakr | May 26, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

wow, what a bunch of nutcases.
I'm really embarrassed to be an American these days.. not because of America the institution, but because we continually prove that collectively we're a moron nation. Only the right wing could turn Memorial day into a day of national shame.

Obama hates our troops: This is a re-occourring theme here. In what way?
- Was it the tax cut for 98% of Americans (that would be troops not CEOs).
- Was it providing additional troops to Afghanistan like our Military requested?
- Was it when he voted to support a military benefit increase as Senator that John McCain [and other Republicans] opposed?

Maybe you'd prefer the way Republican's way of respecting our troops?
- Years in a war zone without providing enough up-armor for humvees
- Not providing basic body armor, soldiers families buying equipment for their children/brothers
- displacing troops with private mercenaries at 5x the pay.. who endangered our troops by murdering the locals.
- Hiring companies like Haliburton in no-bid contracts to build showers that electrocuted our troops.
- heck, invading a nation that didn't pose a threat to us and getting over 4,000, FOUR THOUSAND of our young men and women killed. Never mind the tens of thousands of wounded. How's that for fricken respect?
- nearly forgot the roaches in the VA hospitals.. I could go on for days.

Cheney did something unprecedented, he set up office in the Pentagon and filtered raw intelligence.. picking what he wanted to hear and discounting everything else. They chose the war and then justified it. Rumsfeld put our troops in harm's way without the required equipment and without any occupation strategy "you go to war with the army you have, not with the army you might want, or wish to have in the future".

Where's your outrage for killing our troops?
You've saved it for the brown guy who sent his VP to speak at a ceremony so he could speak at another ceremony in his home town?
What's wrong with you?

Posted by: ffakr | May 26, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I find Salamader Obama to be the slimiest of them all! How dare he not attend the ceremony at Arlington! I'm am so deeply offended by this sh@t head. He hate's America and everything it has stood for. As a Veteran I'm so honored by the men and women who have fought and died to give all of us this beautiful freedom we dwell in every day. I spit on you Obama! Shame on you. Obama, just remember while eating your ribs and watermelon at your BBQ in Chicago, that many of us fought and died so you could be a President.

Posted by: bill318 | May 26, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Why is any common sensed American surprised about the "Socialist in Chief" 0bamba's decision to spend Memorial Day at a Chicago BBQ or playing golf or basketball? Why does he fly his personal 747 all over the country and the world for fund raisers, rigged (photo op) town hall meetings, accepting bogus awards and even at the last minute trying to help the Chicago thugs pad their pockets for the Olympics. The most important day of the year in our recognition of the men and women who have fought and died for our freedom means nothing to him. "Stupidly" acting police officers mean nothing to him. I say "our" country and "our" fallen heroes at Arlington National Cemetery are better off not having this radical, anti-American walk the hallowed ground. To Mark, MSG E8 US Army Aviation, Vietnam Veteran, thank you for your sevice. "We the people" will start the very difficult task of taking back our country on November 2, 2010, bet on it...

Posted by: kennethy692008 | May 26, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kennethy692008 | May 26, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

WE ALL HAVE CHOICES IN LIFE, IF YOU SERVED YOU MAY BETTER UNDERSTAND THE MEANING OF THIS MEMORIAL, OF THIS DAY. AND, IF NOTHING ELSE, RESPECT THE POST WE MONITOR AS IT IS INDEED REPRESENTATIVE OF THOSE ON THE WALL TODAY PROVIDING OUR COMFORT AND SAFETY AS A NATION.

I dare anyone to read this creed, The Sentinel's Creed, and not believe deep in places you don't like to talk about that our President, whomever he may be, should honor this day, this post and those on the wall today.

What a travesty...

==================
The Sentinel's Creed

My dedication to this sacred duty is total and whole-hearted.
In the responsibility bestowed on me never will I falter.
And with dignity and perseverance
my standard will remain perfection.
Through the years of diligence and praise
and the discomfort of the elements,
I will walk my tour in humble reverence
to the best of my ability.
It is he who commands the respect I protect,his bravery that made us so proud.
Surrounded by well meaning crowds by day,
alone in the thoughtful peace of night,
this soldier will in honored glory rest
under my eternal vigilance.

Posted by: jrl11 | May 26, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Barry Hussen is skipping the traditional Memorial Day observance at Arlington Cemetery so he can be in Chicago. Good. He does not deserve to walk on such Holy ground. Why? Next, WASHINGTON, Dec. 23 /Christian faith leaders stunned by reports that President Obama would have an ornament of the image of Mao Zedong hanging on the White House Christmas tree.
and Wednesday, April 15, 2009. Georgetown University says it covered over the monogram “IHS”--symbolizing the name of Jesus Christ—because it was inscribed on a pediment on the stage where President Obama spoke at the university on Tuesday and the White House had asked Georgetown to cover up all signs and symbols there.

Funny how the liberals never want to talk about these events.

Posted by: youcancallmeroy | May 26, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

MR mybuck063...u HAVE NERVE, WHAT A RACIST YOU ARE, AND YOU are way off track! hopefully you are a hard working tax paying law abiding citizen. I AM and want to do for my own self AS i have since I was 17 and not have had it handed out to me, and who needs to realize that Obama is and has been a joke....RACE is NOT THE ISSUE WITH ME, but you are able to be enjoying all the freedoms that many of our military have provided for you in past, present and future including my son...and WE ARE PROUD OF HIM,.so how dare YOU AND our AMERICAN president who has lied on many occasions, to snub what he has also been lucky to enjoy..i do ask for God's blessing upon him but THANK GOODNESS I DID NOT VOTE FOR THAT JOKE...but he is still our President and hope for him the best in the next few yrs,maybe he will learn to be honest......MAY GOD BLESS OUR SOLDIERS, MEN OR WOMEN, WHO DO WHAT THEY DO, BECAUSE IT WAS THEIR CHOICE...

Posted by: amersoldiermom | May 26, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

let's get the facts straight was Reagan at a "summit" all the way in Williamsburg, Virginia or according to ss5737 in the hospital recovering from the gun shot wound, and the Bushes were off at important summits as well at Kennebunkport and the ranch.

ityneres-- the president works for the people that's you and me and it makes no difference where one honors our fallen soldiers just as long as we honor them, president or lowly citizen, it makes no difference.

Posted by: csh56 | May 26, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

CLARIFICATION of previous post:

4x President did not attend Memorial Day Ceremony at Arlington Cemetery.

Of those, 3 of them were commemorated elsewhere and 1 was not commemorated by President Reagan as he was attending a Summit - however he attended the other 7 during his Presidency.

Now, a 5th, President Obama, a no show for a family BBQ in Chicago.

Also, ironically as the President of the United States, nobody could EVER question President Reagan's unwavering love of his country, the United States of America, yet his family and his ability to effectively parent came under scrutiny during and after his presidency. On the other hand, President Obama's love of his country, the United State of America doesn't emote even remotely close to the same level of love of country, yet his devotion to his family has been showcased, at least by the media, although I'm unsure if it is to cover for the latter.

Posted by: mydogwinks | May 26, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

How dare he not go to Arlington Cemetary like every other American President to honor our heros who gave the greatest sacrifice?
This is arrogance taken beyond the point of acceptablility. Who does he think he is?
Hasn't he played enough golf?
I don't see how any true American who is a Patriot and proud of our country can ever look on this POTUS in the same way again.
We have tolerated the bowing down, the appologies, the insults to our allies, the standing ovations to our enemies.
At this point I think he is out of touch with reality, and think he so far above everyone else that he can get away with anything. NO, NO, NO. Your absence at Arlington will never be forgiven. And how about all those emtey platitudes to the graduates of West Point? New World Order my foot. We are proud, exceptional Americans, the greatest and the goodest and most exceptional people in the world.

Posted by: joanz3 | May 26, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

There were only four times a President didn't attend Memorial Day at Arlington Cemetery and 3 times Memorial Day was commemorated elsewhere, in 1983 Reagan was attending a Summit and now there will be a 5th occasion.

The 5th occasion will be Obama in 2010.
The occasion? A BBQ in Chicago.

Posted by: mydogwinks | May 26, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I found it kinda funny, truth be told, that some people were commenting that they were actually relieved that he wasnt going to Arlington (since they say his precense would be insulting the the event :P).

However, like him or not, he's the current President, and I think it's his duty to be there and pay his respects, whether he (or anyone else) like it or not. And quite frankly I find his apparent dislike or at least apathy quite disgusting and unbefitting a President. It seems especially insulting to the families of vets KIA that he should skip the breakfast.. All in all, this seems like the behavior of teenager cutting class, not like the president of the united stats..

I think that this tradition is definitely one circumstance in which he should have taken his mantra of "change" and shoved it..

@csh56 quite simply, and take this as you will, you are not the president, and it makes little difference whether you go to arlington or not. He IS the president. See the difference?

Posted by: Ityneres | May 26, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I think the issue is its all about Obama...no one else but him and he is making his own rules..."The White House says Obama and his family will travel to their hometown on Thursday and stay through the weekend. It will be their first trip back home since a visit for Valentine's Day weekend in February 2009"

And btw Reagan didn't go on vacation he was "summit meeting in Williamsburg, Va., with leaders of the industrialized democracies."

So its not the same as vacationing!

Posted by: cbruette | May 26, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I just had a very scary thought, and I pray I am wrong. But since there is absolutely no reason Obama would knowingly not be in DC for Memorial Day, is it possible that there is a majore muslim extremist attack planned in DC for that weekend on the order of a nuclear blast and needs to get out of town?

Posted by: abacab | May 26, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Lots of crappy posts here from righteous holier than thous who think that Obama is an agent of evil, anyway, so it is not worth it to respond to their crap anyway.

Except to remind that Ronald Reagan also opted out of Memorial Day in 1983. Guess that makes him a traitor, too.

Posted by: bonncaruso | May 26, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Obama just shows what a low-life he is.

He knows nothing of gratitude or honor. Add those to the long list of things he is completely ignorant about and you have a very impressive list.

I guess sometimes it just takes a good gift of BS to get even the most important jobs. Because all BO has is BS.

Posted by: sumoldgai | May 26, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

My husband is buried at Arlington. I am so very proud of him, his service and his loyalty to this country and to the United States Navy. His last wish was to be with those who served our country. I do not know what he would say in this situation, but I, personally, do not want to visit my husband's grave and run the risk of seeing, hearing, feeling the presence of Barack Hussein Obama and his entourage nearby. It would be too emotionally disturbing. I want to pay my respects to my husband and all of the heroes at Arlington. I do not want any distractions that would take away from their memory. God bless America and the men and women who defend our freedom so selflessly.

Posted by: karen56 | May 26, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I take it I'll see you all there in Arlington this weekend as well or is this all talk and no respect as well? If I choose to stay at home to place a wreath on a local fallen soldier's grave in my small home town does that mean I have no respect for our military because I choose not to be in Arlington?

Posted by: csh56 | May 26, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

This ditsoon is a M@ther Fvkn DISGRACE!!! He nneds to go back to the streets where he belongs. Give him a shoe shine job.

Posted by: br8kawy | May 26, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Once again, Obama shows his true nature. This man does not have any stake in America. Why would we expect him to have any reespect for it? I agree with those who do not want him to show up in a place that honors our war dead and the sacrifices they made for OUR country. Obama has no place among them..He should skip the Lincoln Memorial too...Lincoln was a Republican! Go back to your Chicago Gangland BBQ and stay there.

Posted by: wisewords4u | May 26, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I guess sam38 feels the same way about Bush Jr., Bush Sr. and Reagan as well - they were also out of town when all of our respected veterans and their families showed up.

Posted by: csh56 | May 26, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Lincoln is a national cemetery in the home state of A. Lincoln, who enacted the law creating national cemeteries to honor vets. It's as much a shrine as Arlington but apparently, many here think the vets buried there don't count. Doesn't sound too patriotic to me.

Posted by: fairandbalanced5 | May 26, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

As a disabled Vet, I really do not want Obama to speak at the Arlington Cememtary or place a wreath on the graves of the Unknown Soldiers. Obama is a disgrace to the men and women that have served our Country. He is not a US Citizen and is using money and political power to prevent the truth from coming out. He has lied to all of us and some people (The Democrats) that do not have a brain of their own believe him. Obama is destroying this great Nation, He is pulling this Nation apart. I feel there is a revolution in the air. Obama does not listen to the people. Most of the politicans in Washington should be fired along with Obama and his group. His decisions are flawed. He does not respect the flag of The United States of America, He does not respect the Constitution of The United States of America. I cannot believe that there are people in the United States that would vote for such a person. Clinton pissed me off, but Obama is the worst person ever put in the White House. I will never respect Obama, I would never sit down and have lunch or a beer with that person, I would never allow him to come on my property, I do not associate with that type of person.

Mark
MSG E8 (Highly Decorated)
US Army Aviation Disabled Retired
Vietnam Vet

Posted by: mcherry1peoplepccom | May 26, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Don’t private schools in Hawaii and Harvard Law School ever mention the purpose of Memorial Day? The President seems to be going out of his way to be anywhere but Arlington Cemetery and at the White House for the breakfast for the families of fallen soldiers. What’s it like to be invited to the White House to honor your loved one who sacrificed his or her life for this country only to find the President has skipped town? He’s too busy going on vacation, making pointless statements and threats against BP, and doing whatever he can to please San Francisco voters–mainly for Barbara Boxer’s benefit. Some of his key supporters (moveon.org) supported him mainly because of his dislike of the military. It shows.

Posted by: sam38 | May 26, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Turtle on a fencepost!!!(someone had to put him there) Can you say Soros,and crew. God knows, he hasn't the smarts or talent!

Posted by: sbean68041 | May 26, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Arlington Cemetery is awash with Cross and Star of David markers.
This sacred resting place of America's war heros is HALLOWED GROUND. Far better that the ghoulish golem better known as Barrack Obama NOT step foot there. It would be no different than urinating on their graves.
The voices of the dead call out for justice and for correction of the inexcusable mistake the voters made in electing a "man" so loathsome as the feckless coward Barrack Hussein Obama who's allegiance lies somewhere other than America. God bless our fallen heros and God save America from this encroaching nightmare.

Posted by: LiveFreeOrDie1776 | May 26, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Arlington Cemetery is awash with Cross and Star of David markers.

Posted by: LiveFreeOrDie1776 | May 26, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

It truly is unimportant if Obama physically attends these ceremonies - agreed! To me it’s a matter of patriotism and the real desire of our countryman for its president to really lead for all the right reasons, not for personal benefit, agenda or that of those who put or keep him in office. We all fend for ourselves! Part of what makes this nation so great! We need a president interested in preserving our way of life, not change it to what he thinks it should be or give it away! Our nation is in trouble mostly due to our representation or lack of it at every level, not because of its people although the people are responsible for voting in our representatives. This, we can change!

Posted by: wcla | May 26, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

One more thing: half of you are outraged that he isn't going, and the other half are relieved because his presence would somehow tarnish the event. Your hatred knows no bounds; he's literally damned if he goes and damned if he doesn't.

Again, get a grip.

Posted by: tpsteele | May 26, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

"WE THE PEOPLE" so it is said, have the say in this country and our president is ELECTED to be the "captain" of our ship. We HIRE him to do our bidding with us and for us! We HIRE him to engage us in doing better here and around the world, to support and LEAD us with and to prosperity and a better "AMERICAN" way - whatever that might be. We HIRE him to do the very best he can to PROTECT this great land and the great people on it! Does he not hear us?? Is he so out of touch, or never in touch, or truly doesn’t care to be in touch, that he or anyone around him are not hearing what ALL of us have to say! It really makes one think! Why is he our President?

Posted by: wcla | May 26, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I love it...since when is it impeachable for a President to honor veteran's buried in other cemeteries on Memorial Day???? Good lord, folks, get a life or do some reading and have something intelligent to say. I understand you don't like him and disagree. So disagree...with his policies. All of the terrible things said above could have been said about Bush when HE FAILED TO APPEAR at Arlington on Memorial Day, spending the weekend in Maine and playing golf. Oh yes, he also visited a cemetery to pay his respects. Do you all feel so violent and severely about his behavior? Even Reagan sent a representative one year. Please do some research before spewing how anti-American and upatriotic something is. Why must the President be in DC to honor or wars' fallen?

Posted by: t8tet8te | May 26, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Reagan missed it in '83 to attend a "summit" in Willamsburg, VA

Bush Sr. missed it in '92 and sent Quayle (Bush was in Kennebunkport)

Bush Jr. missed it in '07 and sent Cheney (Bush was at his prop ranch at the time)

Get a grip, folks.

Posted by: tpsteele | May 26, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if my opinion makes much difference, but Obama is nothing more than a puppet. Americans made a very big mistake in having a Dem President, Dem controled House and Senate. No wonder nothing is getting done. I also agree with the person that wrote that the President should not abuse his privilege of Air Force One (and everything that goes with it) to fly out to California to help Senator Boxer, not once but twice. Correct me if I am wrong, but, I heard this morning the dinner they sponsered last night cost $70,00 per ticket. Total amount collected was somewhere in the 1 1/2 million dollar amount.

I am glad Obama is not going to be at Arlington. He has not earned the right. Let him go to Chicago where he can get a shot of corruption (to boost him up) from his cronies so he can go back to Washington fortified.

Posted by: grnmeadow | May 26, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

One more thing that needs to be addressed and it has everything to do with the bias attitude of Anne Kornblut. I agree with everyone else that she got it wrong with the headline. Her headline was a pathetic attempt to justify Obama's excuse for not attending the Memorial Day Services at the Arlington Cememtary. My point is this and that is we now have State-Run Media. This past week Glenn Beck exposed the fact that NBC,MSNBC,SNBC,and TELEMUNDO are all owned by the CEO of General Electric who is Imelt (spelling). Its also interesting that this CEO of G.E. is on Obama's Economic Advisory Board and is the one who benefits the most from the Cap & Trade and the new Financial Regulatory Bill that was just passed. I believe he has connections with Goldman Sachs too I can't remember the details. When I was posting my previous comment I happened to glance at the advertisement that was next to the log in (Washington Post) and it was from none other than General Electric. What a coincidence !!! With that discovery I would not doubt if the Washington Post is also owned by the CEO of General Electric. What a web we weave !!!

Posted by: tulehbuddah | May 26, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

He is an OBAM-ination and disgrace to this country. He is more interested in bowing to and kissing rings of kings than presiding over the office of President of the greatest nation in the world. If he acted like a president, they would bow to him, but they laugh instead. Are we sure he's American??? At heart that is... I can care less of what the certificate says... his actions or should we say inactions speak volumes. He's a no show in the Gulf for 37 days!!! and along with other no shows, he disrespects our fallen soldiers and our traditions for a relaxing weekend in Chicago. Boy am I glad I didn’t vote for him, that would have been another embarrassment.

Posted by: wcla | May 26, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

another slap in the face of America by this communist bastard. I say impeach his sorry ass before he does soem damage we will not be able to reverse

Posted by: fedupwidit | May 26, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fedupwidit | May 26, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I honestly think Obama wants to get people riled up because he wants a civil war. He has already divided this nation like no other president. You all know about the executive order he issued last December which was about granting Interpol (UN police force) diplomatic immunity which means they do not have to adhere to U.S. law. He is ramping up for martial law and he knows that our military will not fire on civilians so he plans to use foreign troops. These troops are being trained in Germany as we speak. I belive that the 2010 elections are not going to happen because he and his administration seem way too calm with everything that is going on and especially with this newest development of him not attending the Memorial Day Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

I'm sure you all have heard that what happened in Greece could very well cause our economy to collaspe. Hopefully you all have been listening to the top economists (The Harry Dent Report is an example) over the last couple of weeks because they have all predicted that the biggest bubble to collaspe will happen within the next 3 months and we will not recover from it !!! I am not trying to be doom and gloom here but this is when America will be attacked by terrorist and not just in one city. Obama wants chaos so he can implement martial law and take our guns away. Good bye 2010 elections. I hope this doesn't happen but remember what Rahm Emanuel has said "never let a crisis go to waste." There is plenty of evidence (not to mention the Joe Sestak bribery) to Impeach Obama so let the games begin !!!

Posted by: tulehbuddah | May 26, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Well, I really DON'T want him at Arlington disrespecting our fallen heroes, but for those of you that may be wondering WHY he is going to be in Chicago instead of where EVERY President before him has been on this day, this may help explain. http://www.thechicagocouncil.org/ Michelle Obama is on the Board of Directors for this group, and this weekend is a big "conference" for them! And all you idiots in Chicago actually thought he wanted to come "home" because he missed you all so much! lol

Posted by: rleigh18 | May 26, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

President Obama has no respect for our flag,our pledge of allegiance, our soldiers, or our Nation. But what can you expect from a devout Muslim who hates the American people. This is the only President we have ever had that no one can find out anything about. His whole life is a great big secret. I, as an American can not believe that our Nations senators and representatives will not insist on this being made public. No school records and no birth certificate. Someone has spent a bundle of money to keep this all covered up but we the American people will find out sooner or later.The _____ Sheep always escape from the closet sooner or later.

Posted by: johnson1033sbcglobalnet | May 26, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Praise be to God! I don't think I could have borne the sight of that traitorous face on such hallowed ground.

Posted by: prsmithsr | May 26, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

What does anyone expect from a liberal socialist who doesn't give a damn about this country and its veterans, why should he he wasn't even born here his birth certificate is phony he shouldn't be president. No respect for our country or soliders, he is a bum and should be taken out of office for not being born here. We know that that will never happen with this liberal media(lackeys) who won't report the truth and the white house who won't provide proper documentation. Its amazing how we the people put up with this, he won't answer the question directly and his attempts to find the truth. The only blessing is that he will be a one term president and quickly dismissed after his term is up or hopefully sooner. Only two claims to fame will be he tried to destroy this country but the people wouldn't let him take our freedom away. Second will be first not black but milado president. He has two many broken promises so far but they are not reported because of the left.

Posted by: irishyankee | May 26, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

What else would you expect from a radical leftist?

What else would you expect from an arrogant, self-absorbed narcissist?

All we can do is try to limit the damage these radicals do to the country over the next few years.

Posted by: egdusa | May 26, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

What else would you expect from a radical leftist?

What else would you expect from an arrogant, self-absorbed narcissist?

All we can do is try to limit the damage this radical does to the country over the next few years.

Posted by: egdusa | May 26, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Is it just possibly a coincidence that with the trial of former Il Gov Rod Blagojevich commencing on June 3 next week, that some backroom conversations are being held in Chicago for WH protection?

Posted by: The_Raven | May 26, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

For security reasons alone, I don't like the President boxed into anyone location on a specific date. No one would mind if he went to church in Chicago instead of DC. Therefore ANY Veteran's Cemetery should be respectful enough.

Posted by: eGREGie | May 26, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

The only president ever to have missed this ceremony was Ronald Reagan -- who was still in the hospital recovering from a gunshot wound.

Posted by: ss5737 | May 26, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

10 hours since I dared anyone to dispute the Fact that many presidents skip Arlington Mem. Day ceremonies and not 1, NOT 1, legit argument to prove me wrong. You all are Haters who don't care to debate Facts! Way to show the world how intellectually dishonest you are! Hate all you want Losers but hes the President and if you don't like it you can move somewhere that your ideas are appreciated.....like the moon perhaps! Keep making my day by spewing vitriol and showing yourselves to be the hate-filled fear mongers you worship on Fox Tools....LOL

Posted by: apemansg1 | May 26, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

God knows kissing the union bosses rings every six weeks is much more important to this nation ( I mean this puppet ) than thanking those who have sacrificed for our very existence.......

Posted by: Globie359 | May 26, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

There's nothing left to say! Obama makes me nauseous. What country can I move to????

Posted by: ImpeachObamaNow | May 26, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

At first I was totally shocked, irritated, disquested, and saddened that Obama was not visiting Arlington National Cemetary to honor our fallen warriors, but the more I thought about it, I don't want him there. I believe in my heart that his appearance would do more to dishonor them by his disrespect of what they did, our country, and the American people. Mr John McCain should've been the one picked to do such an honor.

Posted by: chaliniciaaolcom | May 26, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Typical arrogance of King Hussein and royal family. I say good riddance... He is not worthy to stand in the the presence of those resting in Arlington and never will be. That marxist would only serve to dishonor those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for this great nation. The media is about to turn on you BO. Better get ready...

Posted by: servant316 | May 26, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Firstly, I can't believe that Obama has the audasity to do such a thing to our men/women in the military!! I think it is completely horrible and shows his total disrespect and caring of our troops.

Secondly, I wonder by this great and dispicable omission on Obama's part that this will convince our military personnel that he is not their Commander-In-Chief?

I hope those in our military know that most Americans look up to them and respect them for their sacrifice and dedication to our country.

God help us all that we have a such a radical president who doesn't care about our country, people or our mighty military.

Posted by: RenaVA | May 26, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I love it when Carole Browner, another one of Odummo's professed socialistic czars makes any comments. And of course Odummo has to fill his narrcissitic need by going to CA for Boxer. Give me a break. This whole washington gang needs to be impeached.

Posted by: ANNIRICH | May 26, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

What do we really expect from Hussien Obama, and of course the idiot 'journalist' here writes, Obama is, "...addressing one of the great broken promises of his administration" (eg that of not going back to Chicago every six weeks). That is the least of his broken promises. The larger insult is that he is going on vacation instead of honoring our fallen soldiers. That should be the headline; that is the story... why does the Post consistently cover for Obama's horrible actions? It is despicable and unethical 'journalism'. I hope we all post our comments here but also send them to Ms. Kornblut, and the Post editors.

Posted by: tour4freedom12 | May 26, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Well, why am I not surprised? I would imagine if you're a diehard liberal, this move of his makes you happy. But for the rest of us.....(I'm barfing now). Like one of the above, I don't consider him my commander in chief. Just a huge inconvenience in the White House right now for the time being. I ignored Bill Clinton's entire presidency, turning the tv off everytime he came on...I do the same to this "Obamination."

Posted by: jkrupicka | May 26, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

This does not supprise me at all. How many remember that this person ( I cant say president ) did not wear an american flag during the capaign until he started to take FLACK for it ?? I Hope all the vets from both sides of the political field remember this in Nov 2010 and 2011 and 2012

Posted by: gem123 | May 26, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Frankly, we find Mr. Obama to be nothing less then offensive by missing this long-standing tradition of visiting the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, we are not at all surprise however. There are sacrifices a President or a Commander and Chief makes in showing his gratitude and respect for the common soldier, but America is quickly learning that Mr. Obama has little regard for American traditions and its Constitution, as a true American, and particularly with this holiday event. And yet, he says he’s an American? However, Mr. Manning, PhD is moving forward in delivering his charges in a Federal court regarding Mr. Obama’s legitimacy as a citizen in the CIA Columbia Obama Trial; held at the ATLAH World Missionary Church in New York City.
(http://atlah.org/atlahworldwide/?p=8274)

Posted by: lonepuma | May 26, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

This man is a traitor and is disgusting. God, help our nation.

Posted by: walterndebby | May 26, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

You had better open your eyes, Washington Post, this Obama is a closet Muslim and a traitor to the Constitution. Maybe, he is a traitor to the country too. He is a Marxist and the most devisive person to ever be in the White House.

Posted by: walterndebby | May 26, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

The washington post sucks!How dare you censer My comments

Posted by: EdOPLANETOFTHEAPES | May 26, 2010 7:04 AM | Report abuse

The washington post sucks!How dare you censer My comments

Posted by: EdOPLANETOFTHEAPES | May 26, 2010 7:03 AM | Report abuse

Compliments aside,o'bozo is a typical 50 IQ african amerikan.The white part was another lie by the jews that brought us o'bozo!!!!!

Posted by: EdOPLANETOFTHEAPES | May 26, 2010 6:59 AM | Report abuse

I LOVE IT AMERICA YOU are getting payback !!white a holes !!! I hope this is true!!!But we know you lieing white a holesss!

Posted by: mybuck063 | May 26, 2010 6:59 AM | Report abuse

The man is a fraud, a thief, a liar, and sewage.

His every word is a lie; his every policy a failure.

Posted by: BruceMajor | May 26, 2010 6:49 AM | Report abuse

What a Commander in Chief! My one-finger salute to you!

Posted by: pmxpilot | May 26, 2010 6:26 AM | Report abuse

I will not call this person my Commander In-Chief he is not fitting of the title. The greatest attribute this country has is its Armed Forces. We not only defend this great Nation, but the World. Too forgo his Presidential obligation to honor those who served and paid the ultimate sacrifice is a travisty. Look at our National Cemetaries and you will understand what the term "Freedom is not Free" actually means. This is not a day of celebration but a day of reflection. "Semper Fidelis" to all of my brothers and sisters, I thank you and your families for sacrifices. I always thought that being a politician was public service not self-service.

Posted by: Lachau2 | May 26, 2010 6:14 AM | Report abuse

My family is career military. Every time I see Obama salute? someone in uniform, I just cringe and expect some real military person to appear and read Obama out on saluting.
Anyway, every time I see that, it reminds me of this little story. Enjoy!

One sunny day in January, 2013 an old man approached the White House from across Pennsylvania Avenue , where he'd been sitting on a park bench. He spoke to the U.S. Marine standing guard and said, "I would like to go in and meet with President Obama."

The Marine looked at the man and said, "Sir, Mr. Obama is no longer president and no longer resides here." The old man said, "Okay", and walked away.

The following day, the same man approached the White House and said to the same Marine, "I would like to go in and meet with President Obama." The Marine again told the man, "Sir, as I said yesterday, Mr. Obama is no longer president and no longer resides here."

The man thanked him and, again, just walked away. The third day, the same man approached the White House and spoke to the very same U.S. Marine, saying "I would like to go in and meet with President Obama."

The Marine, understandably agitated at this point, looked at the man and said, "Sir, this is the third day in a row you have been here asking to speak to Mr. Obama. I've told you already that Mr. Obama is no longer the president and no longer resides here. Don't you understand?"

The old man looked at the Marine and said, "Oh, I understand. I just love hearing it."

The Marine snapped to attention, saluted, and said, "See you tomorrow, Sir."

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Posted by: Veritatis1 | May 26, 2010 6:04 AM | Report abuse

Obama prefers Chicago over honoring our fallen heros?

If we're lucky, maybe Obama will not come back and stay in Chicago.

Posted by: ahashburn | May 26, 2010 5:56 AM | Report abuse

Today's News left me confused about Priorities!
1. I hear Obama met with Republican leaders to discuss issues ("Behind Closed Doors")(Why No Transparency? he did it for Obamacare!) Anyway, Obama sent them packing, Refusing to do anything on the Immigration Issue, BUT then, before they get back to their offices....
2. We get told Obama is ordering 1,200 National Guardsmen to the Mexican Border and going to spend $500 million on securing the border. Talk about Underkill! DUH! We already have 19,000 Border Patrol people, so How does this "tiny token of action" accomplish anything at all?
My mind says that is Stall Politics, and Why didn't he share any of this with the Republicans at the meeting?
3. Then, I hear Obama plans to go to the Gulf of Mexico (for the First Time), to see what is going on with the Huge Oil Spill, this coming FRIDAY! Another BIG DUH here! Why the wait? Has he been so busy watching the Basketball Playoffs and doing an Interview with TNT that he couldn't get to the Gulf?
4. Then, OMG, we get told that Obama has left for California today to do a Campaign Fund Raiser for Barbara Boxer! And, get this, this is his second trip out there to help get her re-elected. I guess helping her is more important than the Gulf Oil Spill or Illegal Immigration! And, BTW, I don't recall giving permission to have the HUGE EXPENSE OF AIR FORCE ONE and the SECRET SERVICE, etc. going all over to campaign "COMING OUT OF OUR TAX DOLLARS"! DUH!
5. And last, I hear his having a long weekend to rest in Chicago is "More Important" than Honoring our Military dead who have kept this Nation FREE!
GIVE ME A BREAK!

Posted by: Veritatis1 | May 26, 2010 5:42 AM | Report abuse

What a piece of crap. Odumbo can't even honor the veterans by staying in DC on veterans day and doing the traditional Arlington National Cemetary Honors. He cares nothing for the veterans and the sacrifices they have made.

Posted by: chzhead | May 26, 2010 4:42 AM | Report abuse

Otraitor is a man child emperor with no clothes. He is a rat vermin traitor with a plummeting popularity rating because he hates America, hates freedom and hates liberty. He works for Goldman Sachs along with Dodd and Frank. He supports expanded wars - but is Soros funded Code Pink and media matters are silent for this baby-dictator Obama, he is weak and the world is destabilizing, he is an oligarchical colloquists and rules our population with an iron fist in a police state with a velvet glove, but he coddles terrorists, Iran, MS13, Mexican Narco-State Drug Czars. He cracks down on the middle class - the law abiding tax paying whom he considers subjects in his regime. His IRS has audited at a rate 300% above normal. His census is a Nazi-like info-gathering attempt. He has outspent all previous presidents in one year. He is big brother, he is a traitor and he is a little man child moron figurehead empty suit that acts childish and thin skinned because he is uneducated. Sure he was indoctrinated with progressive trash, but given what he says and thinks he is a stupid uneducated failure of a man that could not hunt, grow food for himself, even change his tire. He knows nothing of math, history, physics or chemistry, his ideas are idiot Alinsky eructations, his speech capabilities without a teleprompter is pathetic and he is one of the stupidest people to ever grace the Office of the President.
And this moron man child Otraitor looks like the thin skinned loser. He is a disgusting man and a communist rat that will rot in hell.
This Obama regime is the modern Boss Tweed Tammany Hall. The depraved nature of the Democrat party and its hidden progressive-marxist agenda has been a cancer on America for 100 years now, and today, the main stream media is controlled by the progressives so we don't Thomas Nast drawings exposing what this rat vermin Obama is doing.

Posted by: mickrussom | May 26, 2010 4:18 AM | Report abuse

The fact of this particular situation is that once again, Barack Obama blatantly snubs American values and traditions, particularly where the military or faith is concerned. I actually doubt that his value system would allow him to lay a wreath in honor of our unknown fallen soldiers any more than it would allow him to choose and regularly attend a church.

Posted by: FMWhite | May 26, 2010 4:18 AM | Report abuse

Communist rat vermin corrupted Boss Tweed-Obama and his corrupted Tammany hall exposed.

Posted by: mickrussom | May 26, 2010 4:16 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, Barack Obama continues to act like an academic instead of the President. To call him the Commander in Chief (oxymoron) is not only an insult to the current military, but to all those who have served before. It seems obvious to me and evidently many others, that he has NO RESPECT for the MILITARY, NO RESPECT for tradition or protocol.
I think there should be an amendment to the Constitution that REQUIRES the PRESIDENT have MILITARY SERVICE EXPERIENCE before he/she can serve as Commander in Chief. It makes no sense to have an anti-military individual in charge of the military!!!

Posted by: hedgehog3 | May 26, 2010 2:56 AM | Report abuse

Those who write that other presidents have failed to speak at Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial Day fail to see this as a pattern of anti-patriotic behavior continually displayed by Obama, like being the only one with folded hands during the playing of the national anthem.

Posted by: LiveFreeorDie63 | May 26, 2010 2:19 AM | Report abuse

Maybe we can get Jane Fonda instead?

Posted by: aorobert | May 26, 2010 2:15 AM | Report abuse

THERE IS NO REASON WHY THE MORON IN CHIEF COULDN'T MAKE IT BACK FOR MEMORIAL DAY SERVICES AT ARLINGTON. IT GOES TO PROVE THAT HE HAS NO ALLEGIANCE TO THIS COUNTRY BECAUSE HE IS NOT AMERICAN NOR DOES HE CARE ABOUT TRADITION ENOUGH TO EVEN FAKE IT. HE HAS NO USE FOR THE MILITARY OR FOR OUR VETERANS WHO SERVED OR ARE SERVING IN THE MIDEAST AT THIS TIME. THERE IS ONLY HONOR AMONGST CROOKS & CHICAGO IS FULL OF THEM. TAKE HIM BACK TO WHERE HE BELONGS! BUT KEEP HIM, PRAISE GOD!

Posted by: rac3roc | May 26, 2010 1:40 AM | Report abuse

Impeach this America hating embarrassment. It's long past due.

Posted by: jggc | May 26, 2010 1:32 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Obama is an embarrassment to all who have honorably served this great Nation, and to all who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our liberty. November of 2012 cannot arrive soon enough.

To all of you reading this post who have served, and to those who have lost loved ones in the service of this Country, my hat is off to each and every one of you. I will fly my Stars and Stripes high and proud on Memorial Day.

To Mr. Obama, I can only hope that Impeachment proceedings commence before you enact greater harm to our Country.

Posted by: mlamont1 | May 26, 2010 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Interesting how no-one feels compelled to argue the Facts of this discussion....Most presidents Haven't attended Every ceremony! For once I would like to see Anyone dispute these Facts! If not I think your narrow-minded self-indulgent sycophantic leash-led selves should get your information from someone other than Savage, Hannity and FOX Lose!

Posted by: apemansg1 | May 26, 2010 12:43 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure who is advising President Obama other than Rahm but they sure have a backward approach of handling important and/or catastophic events...Let's see some of his priorities have been flying around trying to have the Olympics held in Chicago, overhauling our nation's entire health care, bailing out the banks and other entities, while the rest of America is teetering on the edge with job losses, wage reductions, imploding housing foreclosures, etc...

Posted by: Rhonda5 | May 26, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

This is legal? its embarassing you have thousands of people at war and you cant lay a wreath to respect those that gave you the v ery right to have a black president?

I hope those people are very important who have a higher rank of importance than our war dead its is MEMORIAL DAY after all I think the family thing could have waited at least until he did his moral duty.. youd think hed want to there needs to be some congressionaL CHANGES to this its bound to hurt families whos sons gave all be it 10 yrs ago or 30..bless you all families of the fallen..
we still remember and offer our Thanks anyway!

Posted by: stardustdragon56 | May 26, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Whast kind of legacy does President Obama want to leave behind? Once again, this show's where his true allegiance lies...He wants to be known as the President who is loved/admired by the world instead of respected and powerful representing our great country....

Posted by: Rhonda5 | May 26, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Birthers....LOL! Spacemanc are you sure its not spacewank? Will you wackos please move to Waco and leave the rest of us Americans alone?

Posted by: apemansg1 | May 26, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps he can just send his teleprompter.

Posted by: wizyrd | May 25, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps he can just send his teleprompter.

Posted by: wizyrd | May 25, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

It must be embarrassing for all you Obamaniacle misfits to see the posts pointing you to factual websites that posts facts about which presidents went to Mem.Day ceremonies and how often. Thank you x2501x for the Facts....if you missed them here are The Facts!

Posted by: apemansg1 | May 25, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: spacemanc | May 25, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

A big F*&k Y^u Mr. President.

Posted by: GoldBeachBiker | May 25, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

By honoring our dead, you stand beside those still living.

This must make the soldiers still in harms way, that are sending friends to Arlington on a regular basis, feel really importantant in the eyes of their commander.

The least he could have done is made a better excuse than "I promised to go back to Chicago and haven't yet". Reminds me of CPT Dike...

No matter how you spin it, it still comes across as a lame excuse to get out of being there.

Posted by: garignack1 | May 25, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

To those who have posted that George W. Bush never attended a Memorial Day at Arlington Cemetery:

Posted by: tbrand1971 | May 25, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Well it is obvious that few of the posters, and Savage himself, are scholars of history. The last president to not appear at Arlington on Mem. Day was Bush 41. Before that, Ronald Reagan, in 1983, not only didn't show, but sent a low-level WH staffer to the ceremony. Where was your outrage then? Another lame attempt to smear a Democrat regardless of the Facts and the Truth. Shame.

Posted by: apemansg1 | May 25, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

It's a big f you, but I'm glad he won't be there. He doesn't deserve to be there. All the patriots who sacrificed their lives for this country deserve better. We're better off if he doesn't go there. We can't change the fact he was elected, but at least he won't contaminate this sacred event.

Posted by: david-protec-1996 | May 25, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

He's supposed to be the President of the United States not the President of Chicago.

I would say that 90% of the people on here and across the country have the same opinion of the current administration, yet all we do is talk. No one is willing to take any real action to change things.

If you truly believe that Obama, Pelosi, Reed and others needs to go, get involved with your local Republican or Tea Party. Campaign to your family, your neighbors and anyone that you can get to listen. Give them facts about what is going on and make sure your facts are correct and undisputable.

People, the midterm election coming up is perhaps the most important war this country will ever fight. Posts like on here are good, but for the most part, you're preaching to the choir.

You MUST put work behind your opinions and educate the ignorant about who they have really elected.

WE MUST ALL GET INVOLVED IN THE POLITICAL PROCESS. OUR FUTURES, OUR CHILDREN'S FUTURE AND OUR GRANDCHILDREN'S FUTURE DEPENDS ON IT.
EVEN MORE, THE FUTURE OF OUR COUNTRY IS WEIGHING IN THE BALANCE AND IT'S NOT GOING TO TAKE MUCH TO TIP IT OVER

Posted by: FreeEnterprise | May 25, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Unbelievable lead-in to this article. "Breaking a campaign promise to return home to Chicago". Are you kidding me?

Thats like a lead-in for the 9/11 attacks which reads "Due to intense heat and the failure of the building's steel infrastructure, the World Trade Center collapsed today".

Correct headline: "Obama breaks with tradition and chooses vacation in Chicago over honoring America's fallen heros".

Posted by: rubiconscross1 | May 25, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

When is the word I-M-P-E-A-C-H going to come up in the dialog on this guy. Obama has to go. One way or another. I can't believe even the liberals that voted for him haven't seen his true colors by now. RADICAL
Start cleaning our house in November and finish it off with an impeachment of this failure of a national leader.

Posted by: BOS-ED | May 25, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

This decision not to meet with the "Gold Star" parents at breakfast, and to not attend the ceremonies at the Tomb of the Unknown Solder leaves me with one conclusion....Mr Obama suffers from a terminal malady named "Cranial-Rectal Inversion".

Posted by: ridge_road_marco | May 25, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

This guy has no idea of what America is all about. Memorial Day is the most significant National holiday. It honors the men and women who gave all for this country. Men and women who are the foundation of our freedom.
Barack Obama is a slap in the face of liberty.

Posted by: lawaga | May 25, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Don't be to hard Obama! the last time he gave a speech on memorial day he thought he saw some of those honorable men and women in the crowd. Maybe he is affraid of Christmas passed!! oops sorry wrong holiday.

Posted by: dchiro | May 25, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Obama should not wander why his poll numbers will be down again. He has pulled stunts like this repeatedly. If you want to be POTUS, you must learn to act presidential. You missed the boat Obama!

Posted by: doug_kinton | May 25, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

I think that his actions are normal for a man who hates The United States. Speaking in honor of fallen Americans who have fought against Islam is just too much for the boy. This guy is not worried about re-election because he does not plan to run for office. He is going to take it ! Don't look to the Republicans for help, they are helping him. Did not Bush come up with the "Patriot" act? How many Republicans are screeming their heads off? NONE. There will be a national emergency declared like the Time Square bombing but the bomb will not fail like that one. Many people will be killed and injured. The Speaker of The House will shout "The People demand action". Obama will declare martial law for our saftey and thats all she wrote....America just bought the farm!

Posted by: mikeomatic | May 25, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

I think this is bull.My family knows people buried there, not to mention the thousands (or more) people whose families know someone buried at Arlington. I think that this is a pretty crappy move that Obama's pulling and I think it's a horrible idea. It's another reason on a list why I don't like him and do not approve of him being our president.

Posted by: rickrich2 | May 25, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

This is Memorial Day 2010 in the United States of America.
Where should our President be?
At the most sacred of places in our country to honor our war dead and pay respect to those who gave their last full measure, at the foot of the Tomb of the Unknown American Soldier.
Mr.President, you can go to Chicago afterwards sir!
Who's bonehead idea was this?

Posted by: menopausequeen | May 25, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA IS A SCUM BAG!!!!!!!!!!! ALL THE MILITARY PERSONAL SHOULD LAY THEIR ARMS DOWN AND COME HOME!!! FRUCK HIM!!! HE'S NOT GOING TO ARLINTON NATIONAL CEMEMTARY TO SALUTE OUR WAR DEAD???????/ THAT MOTHER FRICKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WHY SHOULD WE DIE FOR A WORLD CITIZEN A HATER OF WHAT THE STARS AND STRIP STANDS FOR!!!!!THAT COMMIE, MUSLIM HATER OF AMERICA!!!!!!!! HOW IS THIS ASHWHOLE GOING TO CELEBRATE OUT INDEPENDENCE ON THE 4TH OF JULY??????????????? WHY CAN'T AMERICA SEE WHAT THIS JERK ROFF IS DOING TO OUR COUNTRY AND SPITTING ON OUR CONSTITUTION AND OLD GLORY???!!!??? 2012 CAN'T COME SOOM ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT'S OUR SOLDIERS FIGHTING FOR??????? HIS COMMIE IDEAS AND MUSLIM FREINDSHIPS??????????? AMERICA WAKE UP BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!!!!! OBAMA YOUR LOWER THAN ANIMAL FECAL WASTE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: hemi188 | May 25, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Coming from a military family, I find that his absense may be the greatest honor he can give our veterans! He has no respect for them and he knows we know it!
So good riddance! We can suffer through just fine with stumbling Joe!

Posted by: TexRancher | May 25, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Dear Anne:
It is not "the usual tradition", at least not if you go back and average the last 40 years or so, maybe 60% of Memorial Day speeches by Presidents have been given at Arlington, but if you just scan the ones available on this one page you'll find many that were given other places. I normally respect your reporting but with this sloppily-worded piece you have given a lot of erroneous ammunition to the POTUS's critics.

Posted by: x2501x | May 25, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

365 days in a year and he can't find another day to honor the troops who give their lives to keep this piece of s--- in office! Shame on him and wish he gets the same respect back. This pretender and former "sleepeer" needs to be impeached NOW!

Posted by: gary38 | May 25, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

If Obama had to take the time out of his busy schedule to place a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier he would miss the premier of the play "The Good Negro" in Chicago, and we can't have that can we?

Posted by: Mahakala | May 25, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Gee, I thought he was going to 'honor' his Hezbollah and Hamas buds and Bill Ayres and the Weathermen. Does he ever stay more than 72 hours in the White House?

Please don't do us Veterans a 'favor'. We recognize a phony whether we are above ground or beneath it.

Posted by: NavymanNorm | May 25, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps those who believe that Obama honors our vets whether or not he attends Arlington National or a cemetery in Chicago can explain this recent portrait made at Ft. Hood. I'm afraid I just don't understand his pride in our country's heroes. Please see: http://www.manlyrash.com/blog/a-thousand-words

Posted by: karen56 | May 25, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone not read the article?

"On Monday, Obama will make remarks at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery, south of Chicago..."
So he's still honoring the Veterans, but just doing it from A different National Cemetery.

Posted by: stevenpaulalejandro | May 25, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Bush Senior attended various events every Memorial Day, such as the one at the Kennebunkport American Legion. Reagan didn' attend one because he was at an international Finance conference, trying to save the economy from Jimmy Carter's legacy. I'm sure the next president will be doing the same, if there's anything left of our economy after Obama. But hey-he's going on vacation...

Posted by: nobama14 | May 25, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Plain & Simple....

Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery IS a Veteran Cemetery & it's 1-1/2 TIMES the size of Arlington & he IS from IL. NO ONE in this life gets anywhere if they only think inside the box. Just saying.

Posted by: elizabeth_agin2000yahoocom | May 25, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

To the person complaining about George Bush (senior) not being at Memorial Day, as a USN pilot, he flew off a carrier in WWII....and the Japs shot him down...What have you done for the USA? What has Slick Willie or Barack HUSSEIN Obama done? Alfa Mike Foxtrot to you all.... from a very old former USN 0-3 Tincanman.....

Posted by: bob82 | May 25, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

All you people complaining about this, do you realize that Bush Sr. never attended one Memorial Day Service at Arlington? He spent 3 Memorial Days golfing in Kennebunkport and one in Italy. In fact, he never even went to a cemetery to honor the fallen soldiers. Does that make him un-American and disrespectful of our vets? No.
So, unless you're outraged at Bush Sr. (and Reagan, who didn't attend every Memorial Day at Arlington), then you should probably hold your tongue.

Posted by: VAHokie99 | May 25, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

The President has no regard for our troops. I'd rather not have to look at his face, nor hear an ostentatious speech about our military heroes. His presence and words would be insincere, empty, meaningless, insulting.
Surely you have noticed the disdainful snarl and "snoot-salute" he flings to those serving our country? His absence will be welcomed.

Posted by: jawjahfay | May 25, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

THIS is who the Zero man REALLY IS! Our soldiers deserve more respect than this. Quite frankly, this will Kill Morale for the Troops, and THAT could actually cost real lives! This SOB is doing this to our boys and girls living and dying in hell holes around the world, while he prepares to start a war in Korea designed to boost his popularity!?! The man has not one shred of decency and will return to Washington just in time for a Concert at the White House in the East Room to the music of Paul McCartney. Probably on our dime, too! (it's Republican Style Trickle Down Economic Stimulus, I'll bet anything...)

Gee, doesn't this work of (whatever it is) warm your heart and soul? Aren't you glad YOU support him? NOT!

Posted by: Clearbrook | May 25, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I have always disliked Obama but never beleived he hated America. Till today. It brings tears to my eyes that he is going home instead of honoring the people who serve him. This is a selfish decision by or POTUS. As adults we all do things we secretly may not want to do, like attendin weddings, birthdays, funerals. We do these things out of respect for people in our lives weather we want to or not. We have a President that dosn't have enough respect to honor our Soldiers on the day designated specifically for them. Get this jocker out.

Posted by: ksmith3 | May 25, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

SECURE THE SOUTHERN BORDER IMMEDIATELY, BUT SECURE THE WHITE HOUSE FIRST! ... WE ARE IN DANGER FROM A TRAITOR! Securing our southern border is a matter of National Security but Securing our White House from an "Open Traitor" is a matter of life and death! Obama is destroying the U.S. by design --- on purpose! It's a sad day indeed, when the leader of a lawless, borderline third-world Banana Republic can stand on American soil, to verbally attack and berate our fellow citizens, and be applauded by the sorriest gathering of leftist losers this country has ever known. America --- Put a fork in it --- IT'S DONE. This is a perfect example of the arrogance and the near LAWLESSNESS of this corrupt administration.

Posted by: brown301944 | May 25, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

As a previous poster stated:
"What a non-issue. The wreath-laying has been skipped by presidents before. If you check back, you'll find that Bill Clinton's the only one who went to every Memorial Day observance at Arlington when President."

Posted by: JennyMAW | May 25, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

This man has no respect for our country, why should he show any for the men and women who died for it. I am surprised the people in Uniform show him any respect, but they have class! You Obama do not....

Posted by: nskipper | May 25, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

WHAT A DISGUSTING PIECE OF CRAP OBAMA IS! TO NOT HONOR OUR FALLEN ON MEMORIAL DAY IS THE MOST DISGUSTING THING A PRESIDENT CAN DO! WHO GIVES A RATS BUTT IF HE RETURNS TO CHICAGO....MAYBE HE WILL STAY THERE PERMENENTLY!

Posted by: jm_tebo | May 25, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

The only good thing about this is the fact that he will not be disgracing those that are buried there. Why is it that this man can still shock me with his arrogance and un-patriotic actions. I can only hope that he does not run this country so far into the ground by 2012 that we cannot dig ourselves out from under the piles of cr@p he has shoveled over our heads. SHAME on you Obama. (Please note the I did not call him Mr. President. I reserve that term for someone who actually still believes in the American way of life)

Posted by: screamingeaglemom | May 25, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

He's not skipping Arlington Cemetery for no good reason...He has a meeting with Patrick Fitzgerald in Chicago to make sure there is no mention of him in the upcoming trial of his old cohort Milorad Blagojevich that is just day's away...The informant he had placed in the Rezko trial proved to be unreliable, not being discrete enough when she was asked what she was doing there...U.S Attrorney Patrick Fitzgerald has yet to turn over the content's of his 2 hour meeting he had with the President just day's after the arrest of Milorad and just a month before his inauguration.
Barry must make sure that Fitz holds up his end of the deal...P R O T E C T the President. Not from danger but from scandal.

Posted by: Bessie1 | May 25, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Slow news day?

Posted by: dablues1 | May 25, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

My God, what a tortured lead. Is Ms. Komblut being paid to make excuses for Obama. The empty suit in the WH is blowing off the men and women who died for this country. He is blowing off the residents of the Gulf Coast. If Bush or Clinton was so callous, there would be hell to pay. Instead, this joke of a story talks about Obama struggling to keep his promise to go back to gangster land, where he presumebly will renew his contacts with the liars and crooks who helped put him in the WH. I'm a former journalist who covered Congress and the WH for more than two decades. This lead is one of the biggest pukes I've ever read. From a veteran journalist. I wonder if an editor had a finger in this lead. Anybody who actually covers politics would have vomited before putting their name over such a sellout.

Posted by: hedgehog1 | May 25, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I certainly hope he drives to Ill, instead of wasting more tax money. He has spent @ 50 million so far....absolutely embarrassing he is!

Posted by: REL1 | May 25, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

OBAMA does not have the intellect to KNOW
what is right and wrong. He will just go on his merry way following whatever his Marxist Mentors tell him to do.

He and his wife, Michelle, should be on their knees asking for forgiveness but then again, HE DOES NOT HAVE THE BRAINS TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT!

Posted by: bumpkin1 | May 25, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Seriously Ms. Kornblut? You seriously, honestly think this is "one of the great broken promises of his administration"?

Like anyone cares how often Obama goes to Chicago?

Here let me fix that paragrah for you:

President Obama, while once again demostrating his utter contempt and distain for those who've served and died for our country and are far more noble and patriotic than Obama could ever hope to be in his wildest dreams, is finally addressing the very least significant of the many, many, almost infinite string of broken promises of his administration: his early pledge to return home to Chicago every six weeks or so--as if anyone really cares.

Posted by: PBunyan1 | May 25, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

MR. PRESIDENT (c/o Axelrod, Emanuel, Jarrett, Plouffe): As you head for "sweet home Chicago," please take a few minutes to read the following articles, for your urgent attention...

Is "Obama's Katrina" really an accident?

ENDLESS GULF OIL SPILL: PURPOSEFUL 'END OF DAYS' POWER PLAY?

OR: Vic Livingston's "Facebook" page ("Notes" tab) for the commentary that a rogue government "fusion center" surveillance and censorship regime apparently would not allow to be posted to WaPo's "The Fix" political blog.

***

DNI Ouster Appears to Embolden a Multi-Agency Extrajudicial "Gestapo"

FED 'FUSION CENTERS' ATTACK, IMPAIR 'TARGETED' AMERICANS WITH CELL TOWER- BASED MICROWAVE RADIO FREQUENCY WEAPON SYSTEM: VETERAN JOURNALIST

http://nowpublic.com/world/u-s-silently-tortures-americans-cell-tower-microwaves OR NowPublic.com/scrivener

Posted by: scrivener50 | May 25, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse