Rep. Mark Souder resignation statement

Rep. Mark Souder (R-Ind.) issued the following resignation statement Tuesday:

IT IS WITH GREAT REGRET I ANNOUNCE THAT I AM RESIGNING FROM THE US HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES, AS WELL AS RESIGNING AS THE REPUBLICAN NOMINEE FOR CONGRESS IN THIS FALL'S ELECTION.I BELIEVE IT IS THE BEST DECISION FOR MY FAMILY, THE PEOPLE OF NORTHEAST INDIANA, AND OUR COUNTRY. I WILL SUBMIT MY RESIGNATION TO SPEAKER PELOSI EFFECTIVE THIS FRIDAY. I CAN NEVER FULLY THANK ALL THOSE WHO HAVE WORKED SO HARD, GIVEN SO MUCH AND SUPPORTED ME THROUGH EIGHT CONTESTED PRIMARIES AND EIGHT GENERAL ELECTIONS.ONLY WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN THE RECIPIENT CAN YOU REALLY FEEL THE HUMBLING POWER OF SUCH GENEROSITY. IT HAS BEEN A PRIVILEGE TO BE A PART OF THE BATTLE FOR FREEDOM AND THE VALUES WE SHARE.IT HAS BEEN A GREAT HONOR TO FIGHT FOR THE NEEDS, THE JOBS, AND THE FUTURE OF THIS REGION WHERE MY FAMILY HAS LIVED FOR OVER 160 YEARS. IT HAS BEEN ALL CONSUMING FOR ME TO DO THIS JOB WELL, ESPECIALLY IN A DISTRICT WITH COSTLY, COMPETITIVE ELECTIONS EVERY TWO YEARS I DO NOT HAVE ANY SORT OF "NORMAL" LIFE - FOR FAMILY, FOR FRIENDS, FOR CHURCH, FOR COMMUNITY.TO SERVE HAS BEEN A BLESSING AND A RESPONSIBILITY GIVEN FROM GOD.I WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN A BETTER EXAMPLE. I SINNED AGAINST GOD, MY WIFE AND MY FAMILY BY HAVING A MUTUAL RELATIONSHIP WITH A PART-TIME MEMBER OF MY STAFF.IN THE POISONOUS ENVIRONMENT OF WASHINGTON DC, ANY PERSONAL FAILING IS SEIZED UPON, OFTEN TWISTED, FOR POLITICAL GAIN. I AM RESIGNING RATHER THAN TO PUT MY FAMILY THROUGH THAT PAINFUL, DRAWN-OUT PROCESS.DIANE AND MY FAMILY WERE MORE THAN WILLING TO STAND HERE WITH ME. WE ARE A COMMITTED FAMILY. BUT THE ERROR IS MINE AND I SHOULD BEAR THE RESPONSIBILITY, NOT ONLY AM I THANKFUL FOR A LOVING FAMILY BUT FOR A LOVING GOD. MY COMFORT IS THAT GOD IS A GRACIOUS AND FORGIVING GOD TO THOSE WHO SINCERELY SEEK HIS FORGIVENESS AS I DO. BUT I AM SO ASHAMED TO HAVE HURT THOSE I LOVE.I AM SO SORRY TO HAVE LET SO MANY FRIENDS DOWN, PEOPLE WHO HAVE FOUGHT SO HARD FOR ME. THE IDEAS WE ADVOCATE ARE STILL JUST AND RIGHT.AMERICA WILL SURVIVE AND THRIVE WHEN ANCHORED IN THOSE VALUES.HUMAN BEINGS, LIKE ME, WILL FAIL, BUT OUR CAUSE IS GREATER THAN INDIVIDUALS.IT IS BASED UPON ETERNAL TRUTHS.BY STEPPING ASIDE, MY MISTAKE CANNOT BE USED AS A POLITICAL FOOTBALL IN A PARTISAN ATTEMPT TO UNDERMINE THE CAUSE FOR WHICH I HAVE LABORED ALL MY ADULT LIFE.I LOVE THIS AREA.THIS IS MY HOME.IT HAS BEEN SUCH AN HONOR TO SERVE YOU.FOR SIXTEEN YEARS, MY FAMILY AND I HAVE GIVEN OUR ALL FOR THIS AREA. THE TOLL HAS BEEN HIGH.AS I LEAVE PUBLIC OFFICE, MY PLANS ARE FOCUSED UPON REPAIRING MY MARRIAGE, EARNING BACK THE TRUST OF MY FAMILY AND MY COMMUNITY, AND RENEWING MY WALK WITH MY LORD. I HUMBLY ASK YOU, FOR THE SAKE OF MY FAMILY THAT YOU RESPECT OUR PRIVACY IN THIS DIFFICULT TIME.

By A Post editor  |  May 18, 2010; 2:08 PM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Oregon primary results: What to watch for
Next: Kagan's court questionnaire now online

Comments

Another 2-faced righteous Republican bites the dust. Good riddance!!

Posted by: metricsman | May 20, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I think the main lesson to take from this is that it is NEVER appropriate to use ALL CAPS in a letter, even when you're resigning from Congress.

At least he resigned once people found out, I'll give him that. He's not hanging on, hoping people will forget, like some others . . .

Posted by: bucky_katt | May 18, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

When you're caught having an affair with an underling please refrain from talking about God. You're a hypocrite and an adulter. The public isn't buying any of the bulls..t that you're spouting - it's truly annoying.

Posted by: rlj1 | May 18, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

My Name is David Roach. I ran against Mark souder several times, because i didnt agree with his far right nut job ideas, or point of view. his platform is right out of the '20's billy sunday, father coughlin, prohibitionist Indiana mind set- not much different than todays GOP, or tea party agenda, and just right of ronald reagan, who i also never voted for. either.
I never voted for mark souder. personally, i thought he was a jerk. and now it turns out he is a hypocrite to boot. this is typical of behavior from the far right, conservative, radical christian extremist wing of the republican party that we are seeing returni in the tea party movement( which are gop schills, and put up jobs, btw). militant pro-lifers, gay haters, trigger happy gun nuts, and anti-drug crusaders- all of them are a threat ot normal freedom loving centrist citizens. Congressman souder has just made marijuana smokers, dopers, and stoners all over the world rejoice, in the exit of this hypocritical moralistic crusader.
as one senator said in the McCarthy -Army Hearings"have you at last no shame?.
This scripted apology is right out of the tiger woods, john edwards, elliot spitzer, sen. ensign, governor sanford, eric sanford TMZ Hollywood tabloid PR script.
I have no sympathy for him. they say Washington DC is hollywood for ugly people.
so good riddance, and dont let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya. go back to your little grabill store, and live out the rest of your life selling buggy whips to the amish, and candy to their children. retire in anonymous indignant ignominity.
heres a parting shot, by ray charles to commorate the opinion of liberty loving marijuana smokers, and everyone who wants less drug cops, and more freedom:
i sang the same song with joy when they wheeled dick cheney out of his undisclosed location, and bush flew out in marine 1.
today is a happy day for stoners of the world. rejoice!

Posted by: dcroach | May 18, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse