Rachel Maddow gives fake Obama oil speech, lunches with Obama

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

A day after Rachel Maddow went on the air to give the speech she said President Obama should have given Tuesday about the Gulf oil spill, the MSNBC host sat down with the president for lunch at the White House along with a handful of other members of the press.

Also attending the Wednesday luncheon -- no word on whether the fish served was from the Gulf -- were columnist Eugene Robinson of The Washington Post, columnist Gail Collins of the New York Times, Gerald F. Seib of the Wall Street Journal and a handful of White House staffers.

By Garance Franke-Ruta  |  June 17, 2010; 2:37 PM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency , Barack Obama
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Joe Barton's BP 'shakedown' comments are nothing new
Next: Congressional women can't stop the press in charity softball game

Comments

Rachel Maddow is not very bright, her "brilliant speech" would mean massive unemployment and pain for those in the Gulf, which is pretty much what the hope-tard said anyway. How about fixing the problem first before starting up new onerous and ridiculous taxation for a "green future" that we are nowhere close to realizing. It will be decades before we can advance to any significant energy source other than oil, and this reckless "president" would destroy us if he were allowed to continue after november. How about letting the US drill in alaska? the arctic? There is more oil there than has been produced globally in the last THIRTY years, it was libtards like maddow and obama that forced oil wells way offshore into these precarious wells in the first place. Jimmy Carter must be very pleased he is no longer the worst president in history, the hope-tard has taken a solid lead on that front.

Posted by: devnulzzz | June 19, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Outstanding! Too bad everyone doesn't agree, but that would be too much to ask. Not everyone has an education, and hence learned to think rather than just deny. Interestingly, I'd bet these same people voted for George W. twice, and have never wondered how they got that so wrong...like I said, they excel at denial.

Energy is a tough issue, and there are all kinds of purposes and cross-purposes, and unintended consequences, and choices. It requires more than just a gut-level emotional response. How much more time do we have to waste?

Posted by: michael4 | June 19, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

How is it that the super-brainy Rachel Maddow gets it, but not the super-brainy Prez? That's what floors me! By the way I thought her speech perfect. I felt empowered and immensely satisfied. The White House walks around scratching their heads and accusing critics (like me) of being out of touch. Huh? THIS is what the people have been waiting for. Real decision, real leadership...Real change with the way government functions.

Posted by: Marieme | June 19, 2010 2:35 AM | Report abuse

Absolutely amazing...

Rachel Maddow wants to turn back the clock to 1750. Perhaps when she grows up emotionally as well as physically and decides to view the prism of real time and reality you can give us in the real world a call.

Obama will certainly name this Boob to a Tsar position... although compared to the president she seems somewhat lucid. Even her lies seem better than his lies.

Posted by: DrMysterious | June 18, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Rachel Maddow and Keith Olbermann are my favorite TV personalities. They're the only TV I watch other than sports.
President Obama - please listen to her. You aren't running a campaign now - it's time to use your incredible intellegence to bring this country together.
NO MORE WARS - take care of these United States - let the others alone - they don't like us anyway.
Our troops can protect us from here
Toni

Posted by: Tonisongbird34 | June 18, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

So just in case anyone forgets, since Sarah Paylin brags about "socking it to the oil companies", she raised the rate the oil companies pay per barrel of oil they take out of the ground that the oil companies say it isn't profitable to drill any more wells in Alaska- one of the reasons they are doing more deep-water drilling. Not because of environmentalists- but because of higher taxes. Put in place by a republican. They were still drilling on terra firma with the environmental regulations in place but the barrel tax is another story!

Posted by: alaskan2 | June 18, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

so, Loxinabox, is that name a commentary on your brain power, as in "dumb as a lox in a box? a comment like that only comes from someone ignorant and woefully uninformed. she may not have as many viewers as faux news, but at least the many thousands that do listen to her have a brain.

Posted by: blossombradley | June 18, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Completely pathological and pathetic. Until the oil industry proves a negative, no more drilling? Ram everything through by executive order and reconciliation? I just wonder where Climateworks slipped the loot to Rachel.

Posted by: daskinner | June 18, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Rachel Maddow is a terrific commentator. But she is NOT qualified to be president. Come on, folks. Don't go all teapartyish on us. Just because someone is smart, articulate and someone you agree with doesn't make that person presidential material. Ask Rachel. She'll set you straight.

Posted by: tughillb | June 18, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Seems the white house has an obsession with TV personalities: Did Obama ever pick a surgeon general after TV Doc, Sanjay Gupta turned him down flat?

Too bad Billy Mays isn't around anymore; they could use him to hawk the propaganda du jour.

Posted by: Bellamia | June 18, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

She was doing a show about how badly the oil spill was being handled. She of course could not use the words president,congress or Obama as this might make it seem like they shared part of the blame. It was so funny I laughed my butt off! She is the funniest lesbian liberal on TV. To bad only 3 or 4 people have ever seen her show.

Posted by: Loxinabox | June 18, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Good speech. I just wish Rachel and told everyone that the reason BP and others are drilling in such deep water is the fact that the left wing nut job environmentalists, those who want to take their horse and buggy to starbucks, forced the oil companies to drill further and further from the shore. Now that Louisiana is becoming more of a toxic waste dump than it already was, maybe it is time to build 5 or 10 nuclear power plants to turn on our lights or power our electric cars.

Posted by: bbarbee2 | June 18, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Rachel Maddow would be terrific as a communicator in any capacity. Her greatest value to the country, I believe, is to continue communicating in her inimitable way with the American people on prime time TV. I hope MSMBC continues treating her right so we can count on her perceptions far into the future.

Posted by: davew0725 | June 18, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Ever since I first heard Rachel I wondered why someone like she didn't run for President. She is one of the smartest media commentators I have seen, heard or read about and I am certain she has the intelligence, the compassion, the level-headedness and the guts to lead this country in the 21st century. It would be a shame to allow such promise to go to waste.

Posted by: lorenabbey | June 18, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Rachel Maddow , on a daily basis, points out accurately the hypocrisy and weakness in both parties. She actually uses facts not beliefs and fairy tales. I wish the Administration would seriously take up her approach to dealing with the real and political world in which we are enmeshed. Three Cheers Rachel. Shame on Congress (mostly the Senate) and Shame on the Administration for treating the American people like peasants, unable to see the truth of what our money polluted democracy has turned into.

Posted by: drguy | June 18, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Oh, that what you said, Rachel, could have actually come from our President, I believe this nation would rejoice with reinvigorated belief that President Obama is, in fact and deed, the person he campaigned to be -- the President promising and doing something about change and renewal for America!

Posted by: nunezcabeza | June 18, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Faked me out... for sure!!!

We do not need The President or Congress to pass another costly bill. All we have to do is flatten the tires on every vehicle on the road, everyday... just get er done!!!

Posted by: LN-TBSpeaksTheTruth | June 18, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Every time I watch this I get a Tinglling feeling up my little leg.

Posted by: LN-TBSpeaksTheTruth | June 18, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Ms Maddow has only one viewer..Pres Bo...

Posted by: yokohlman | June 18, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Rachel,

I liked your speech more than his.

What a missed opportunity...sigh.

Posted by: tcascade | June 18, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Rachel for pres in 2016!! By then, she will be totally prepared to be our first female president, and she will be a great president! Between President Obama and Rachel, we can get this country back on the proper path after the "conservatives" have tax/borrowed/spent us into oblivion and dang near crashed the planet with their insanely divisive and greedy ideology.

Posted by: dematheart | June 18, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Sigh . . . Rachel can you be our real president?

Posted by: FormerLosAngelesTimesReader | June 18, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

read the (just published) update of my article, with my NEW idea to STOP the oil spill, reusing (in a different way) the giant BP "dome" already used in the (failed) first attempt to fix the oil leak:

Posted by: gaetanomarano | June 18, 2010 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Well done, we needed a voice to spell it out clearly. First, seal the leak then politics, responsibility, regulatons, America's energy policy thereafter. I am an educated international young American woman that cares about our country, our environment, our people and our planet as a whole. I can not agree more that our country must change our school of thought in terms of fossil fuel consumption---this is nothing new! Importantly, BP's oil leak must be sealed and then we can move forward into recovery and forward in our policy making.

It's unacceptable that BP was allowed to drill offshore without any emercency preparedness. You or I can not just dump oil in our local rubbish bin wihtout the proper handling for toxics.

Last, I live in the Gulf Of Mexico region and I do care. Thank you for reading my post.

Posted by: carolydls | June 17, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

So Racheal, what are you doing two years from now...even if you do get blotchy when you're mad?

Posted by: seahawkdad | June 17, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse