White House mocks Hayward's yachting -- and defends Obama's golf outing

By Garance Franke-Ruta
A White House spokesman had a little fun at the expense of BP CEO Tony Hayward at the daily briefing Monday, tweaking him for taking his yacht out on the water for a race off English shores while the waters of the Gulf become ever more polluted.

"You know, look, if Tony Hayward wants to put a skimmer on that yacht and bring it down to the Gulf, we'd be happy to have his help," Bill Burton said.

A skimmer is a piece of equipment dragged by a ship to corral surface oil so that it can be burned or vacuumed up.

"Tony Hayward, I guess, took himself at his word that he was going to get his life back here. It's clear that he has," Burton said. "But what's important to us is that the people in the Gulf get their lives back. It's not so easy for them to just take a weekend away and forget about everything that's happening down there."

By Garance Franke-Ruta  |  June 21, 2010; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency , Barack Obama
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama visits SE Washington to announce fatherhood program
Next: Rahm Emanuel, Blagojevich traded favors according to emails

Comments

How is golfing any diferent than yachting; it's another form of recreation. If it is ok for Obama to golf then it's ok for Hayword to sail.

Posted by: countryfirst1 | June 22, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I think Obama should keep his rear end in the Oval Office until he does two things; A clear resolution on the Oil disaster, and the economy. During the Vietnam conflict my Dad was gone for months at a time and he did not take his damn golfclubs with him. Obama, do your damn job!!

Posted by: sarasota1 | June 22, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Even with their normal hypocratic double standard the Libs have gone to Crazytown here. 69 days into this thing Tony takes his first "day off" on Father's day to go sailing. In those same 69 days Obama has gone golfing SEVEN times, SIX vacation days (that's 1/11 days) Held THREE fundraisers (not for the crisis),SEVEN sports related events, Time off with McCartney (apparently because that face to face meeting was more important than a face to face with that other brit - Tony Haywood)Another for Beyonce and then of course the national emergency "dancing at the White House". The hypocrisy almost as unbelieveable as the Liberals outrage because George W. GAVE UP golf out of respect for the troops.

Posted by: orlandovjc | June 22, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Even with their normal hypocratic double standard the Libs have gone to Crazytown here. 69 days into this thing Tony takes his first "day off" on Father's day off to go sailing. In those same 69 days Obama has gone golfing SEVEN times, SIX vacation days (that's 1/11 days) Held THREE fundraisers (not for the crisis),SEVEN sports related events, Time off with McCartney (apparently because that face to face meeting was more important than a face to face with that other brit - Tony Haywood)Another for Beyonce and then of course the national emergency "dancing at the White House". The hypocrisy almost as unbelieveable as the Liberals outrage because George W. GAVE UP golf out of respect for the troops.

Posted by: orlandovjc | June 22, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Anybody remember Mr. Bush strumming his guitar while New Orleans drowned?!

Posted by: zedmaf4twel | June 22, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Sheesh, DC needs a maturity pill. I have a mental image of two kids sticking their tongues out at each other.

Posted by: LieToMe | June 22, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

This Pres and his henchmen are nothing but a bunch of Chicago Thugs. Blame Everyone Else while they steal the kitchen sink. I think most Americans as well as those around the world (including McKristal) are sick of this incompetence to the point one has to wonder if this is the plan. Why would it take 60 days to waive the Jones act? Why would we not allow vessels from other allies to help us? I swear, it is intentional to push cap and tax, but, criminal is more like it. If we had any true investigative reporting from the culpable media, it would be evident that this Adm. is beyond corrupt, but, criminal in its intent. While Congress holds hearings for public show, they continue to hide the criminals in their mist. I am not a young man anymore, but, in my time, I have never witnessed a Pres whose intent it is to destroy this, our American Dream along with the Constitution. No Border Control, but, we can have Bingo. Something is truly wrong here and I worry if we can afford 3 more years. THROW THE BUMS OUT NOW! We should be willing to pay their pensions through time behind bars.

Posted by: leasador | June 22, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Ever hear the word hypocrite? It is not just the interminal rounds of golf, but his endless photo ops with sports teams, going to sporting events, lavish State dinners, shooting hoops, Paul McCartney night. The list goes on and on. Does Obama ever work, or is everything he does when he is not relaxing just amount to another speech, or photo op? He is incompentent, and narcissistic. Hayward is just the CEO of a company. Obama is supposed to be the President of the USA. He is not doing his job.

Posted by: joanz3 | June 22, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Ever hear the word hypocrite? It is not just the interminal rounds of golf, but his endless photo ops with sports teams, going to sporting events, lavish State dinners, shooting hoops, Paul McCartney night. The list goes on and on. Does Obama ever work, or is everything he does when he is not relaxing just amount to another speech, or photo op? He is incompentent, and narcissistic. Burton is just the CEO of a company. Obama is supposed to be the President of the USA. He is not doing his job.

Posted by: joanz3 | June 22, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Really Billy? Is that why you guys have turned down the offer of help from 13 COUNTRIES.

YES, that period of time would actually be the ENTIRE REST OF HIS LIFE

Posted by: youarewrong | June 22, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Why would anyone expect him to keep his word? He hasn't yet. Obama and his social elite need time to play golf and relax,its not like he is some Reb/Capitalist that is used to hard work. The American people voted for the Socialist/Democrats and now that we have become a Socialist country people even Democrats seems surprised! America gave up our civil liberties in trade for Obama care. Democrats have never valued our civil rights why are a few of them pretending they do so now? You and your union buddies "the mob" voted for the great Obama. Now that he has made America a Socialist country I for one am going to suck off that tit as long as possible! I didn't ask to give up my freedom as an American. It was you Democrats that gave up my personal freedom. So as long as I can I will not work,hey maybe I will stop taking showers so I can smell like a Socialist. You jerks really make me laugh! Why don't you go back to where you came from? Americans don't need your "kind" here. If I could only afford to play golf but not being born into a world of entitlement that would mean I would have to go out get a job and work hard.As always I would be happy to speak with you. I can be contacted at work http://www.bestmichiganbusinesses.com were still in Beta so me and Granholm and Obama are all doing the same thing. Watching the paint dry. Hey maybe I could get a job as a Dem! No then I would have to give up even more of my personal freedoms, damm Socialist any way

Posted by: Loxinabox | June 22, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Everyone needs down time. However my suggestion is drop the golf game and bone-up on developing leadership skills. AKA, laying out a detailed plan on how he is going to truly create a sustainable job market instead of pushing a stimulus plan that dumps good money after bad. Better still, how does he intend to make the Gulf Coast region better than it was before the oil spill. The president needs to learn how to take words off the teleprompter and make them a reality.

Posted by: Bockscar | June 22, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Be careful which face you speak to . it's a case of pot and kettle>>!!

Posted by: Driver3 | June 22, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Be careful which face you speak to . it's a case of pot and kettle>>!!

Posted by: Driver3 | June 22, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

bill burton and robert gibbs, aka DUMB and DUMBER! It's okay for our JOKE-IN-CHIEF to go golfing (again during a time of crisis) but it's not okay for someone who is a CEO, not a head of government to enjoy some down time. Typical obummer appointee attitude, IT'S OKAY FOR US, JUST NOT OKAY FOR ANYONE ELSE! PITIFULL, DECEITFULL, LYING, CORRUPT, INCOMPETENT BUFFOONS!

Posted by: AmericanVet123 | June 22, 2010 6:45 AM | Report abuse

Tony could not bring his yacht to America because Obama refuses to waive the Jones Act. Which is why Obama refused the help of 13 countries who wanted to help us in the clean-up...Obama did not want to upset his union buddies.

Posted by: ringmaster76120 | June 22, 2010 2:13 AM | Report abuse

I didn't vote for Obama and wouldn't again for the same reasons. However after seeing his administration perform, I have new reasons for not supporting him. Now it's just a question of getting out with minimum damage.

Posted by: Auburninbp | June 22, 2010 2:03 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, I don't buy the 'do as I say, not as I do' position from my president.

Posted by: Ruler4You | June 22, 2010 1:40 AM | Report abuse

The problem is that Obama has been spending a lot more time clearing his mind than he has managing the gulf cleanup.

Two fund raisers for Babs Boxer. He spends a day and spends several million taxpayer dollars to raise a million dollars for Babs. Then he spends 10 minutes making a trivial stop so that he can claim that it was "government business" and the Boxer campaign doesn't have to reimburse the costs.

Several rounds of golf.

Date nights and State Dinners.

Visiting pristine beaches with not a drop of oil in sight. You wouldn't want to get oil on the handmade Italian slippers that he billed to the taxpayers. This gives him a photo-op picking up the dime size piece of oil sludge his staff planted 20 feet above the high water line.

Hours spent posturing to create an illusion that he has actually done something.

What has Obama done that is productive? Zip, nada, nothing.

What has Obama done that is harmful. Prevented local officials from building sand berms to keep the oil at sea. Declined help from the Dutch and others that could have cleaned up much of the oil at sea. Wasted weeks in inaction when much of the oil could have been contained and cleaned up at sea. Focused on financial liability and criminal liability instead of focusing on the recovery.

BP and Tony Hayward made some rotten decisions that caused the blowout but since that time they have worked continuously to fix the problem. They have tried plan A, B, C, D and continue their best efforts to repaid the leak.

BP prime obligation is to stop the leak. They lack the organization to contain and clean up the spill. If Obama had marshaled forces to contain and clean up the spill while BP focused on stopping it, the environmental damage would be a tiny fraction of what is occurring.

BP is to blame for the oil being released into the sea and Obama is to blame for it reaching shorelines, marches and fisheries.

The honesty, intelligence and initiative with which Tony Hayward has done his job contrasts sharply with the dishonesty, stupidity and laziness shown by Obama.

Posted by: Xdem | June 22, 2010 1:37 AM | Report abuse

Obonzo's is a pathetically incompetent administration. How DARE they criticize Heywood! Obonzo is a nothing but soros' little beetch.

Posted by: martifr | June 22, 2010 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: martifr | June 22, 2010 12:49 AM | Report abuse

When do we wake up and realize that no one in the upper echelons of government gives a good God damn. Every word they speak and every action they take is designed to secure their happiness. SERVICE is as foreign to them as being served is to us.

Until we cut off the monies (taxes) and turn off the lights in Washingtoon, these self-appointed demigods will continue to take liberties, monies and vacations; at all of our expense.

Brian Kilcullen
www.TacitusDominatus.com

Posted by: TacitusDominatus | June 21, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Do as I say, not as I do.

I can't wait until the rabbit attacks a boat that the One is riding in. Then the parallels to the Carter Misadministration will be complete. Can 2012 get here any quicker?

Posted by: stvcar | June 21, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Clear? It must be thoroughly empty by now.

Posted by: jnsesq | June 21, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Heywood was relieved of his duties.
obama should be relieved of his!
Brings shame of the United States daily.
His administration is pathetic!

Posted by: canyon2 | June 21, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow ! really, Tony Hayward is a private citizen who is paid by a corporation. Obama is President of the US of A - because people ( stupid people no doubt ) voted for him. He has to portray at least a image that he cares.

Posted by: tell-it-like-it-is-pam | June 21, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

It's not just the golf. Include all the parties, events, dinners, basketball, jetting all over, fund raisers, date nights, vacations, blaming others for anything and everything, and on and on and on. How has he found ANY time to work since the oil spill began? Two wars? Wide open borders? Economy in ruins? And he mocks BP leaders??????

If Obama wants to party and play all the time he can RESIGN! Otherwise get to work and stop all the damn playing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: ac7880 | June 21, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Hayward works at least twice as much in his job as Obama. The blabber mouths in his administration as well as those who write comments let the public know the truth: how much time does Obama spend 'on the job' compared with 'golf and celebrity gatherings'. And if he were a 'man' he wouldn't have his staff attack Hayward: he'd be man enough to do it himself.

Obama may go to church, but he clearly isn't living up to Christian principals. If he were a Christian and a true American, he wouldn't be judging BP guilty without all the facts, an complete investigation or a fair trial in a Court of Law.

Obama is a disgrace to America and the laughing stock around the world.

Posted by: neilc38 | June 21, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

This Burton hit man for el Presidente forgot to mention that Hayward was demoted last week and relieved of leadership over the oil spill. Obama has not yet been relieved of his duties, but at the rate he is going I hope he soon will be. This cute little bit of sarcasm from the Whitewash House is straight out of their playbook: Alinsky's Rules for Radicals #5 states that ridicule is man's most potent weapon. Personally I think this is BS and that truth is the most powerful weapon. The truth is that our Emperor has no clothes.

Posted by: talon21 | June 21, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

This is beyond any doubt the snarkiest, smuggest, most self-satisfied, holier than thou bunch ever to darken the door of the White House. The longer it goes on, the less popular they become. The public in general is wising up the the wise guys in and around the oval office and deciding they've had enough of those sleazy fools who can't even recognize their own incompetence.

Posted by: Lilycate | June 21, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Gee Thanks Barry:

Since you been in office my income is half what I used to be. The company I worked for went bankrupt. Thanks your buddies at Fannie, Fredie not to mention your buddies at Goldman Sachs! I laid off hundreds while you hire all your buddies!

Yep, gave up my golf membership, had to move to a smaller house after 17 years. But put kept my kids in college!

But have not lost everything like alot of people I had to layoff. I was lucky I found work after the doors closed.

Have fun golfing and dating while people are watching their lives disapear around them. They never get a break from fear! Glad you can get away.

Posted by: LivingSmallInNYC | June 21, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Gee Thanks Barry:

Posted by: LivingSmallInNYC | June 21, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

"Great Minds Discuss Ideas;

Average Minds Discuss Events;

Small Minds Discuss People."

(If it fits wear it)

Posted by: october30 | June 21, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

"Great Minds Discuss Ideas

Average Minds Discuss Events

Small Minds Discuss People."

(If it fits wear it)

Posted by: october30 | June 21, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Not only are they hypocrites, but they are too stupid to recognize that calling attention to Hayward's leisure activities would call attention to Obama's leisure activities.

Obama and his whole team are utterly incompetent. What a joke.

Posted by: bobmoses | June 21, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

"Great Minds Discuss Ideas

Average Minds Discuss Events

Small Minds Discuss People."

(If it fits wear it)

Posted by: october30 | June 21, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

"Great Minds Discuss Ideas

Average Minds Discuss Events

Small Minds Discuss People."

(If it fits wear it)

Posted by: october30 | June 21, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

OKAY here's a NEWS Flash: The White House has been CONSTANTLY making fun of everyone else, SINCE DAY ONE! always blaming, always pointing the finger at someone else, NEVER ever taking responsibility for their own actions. THEIR MOTTO, is to insult , cut down , degrade, when they KNOW darn well THEY are GUILTY of something. THEY want to take the FOCUS off of themselves. I in my entire life have never seen any ADMINISTRATION be this DISGRACEFUL, and Embarrassing to AMERICANS.

Posted by: kleigh1213 | June 21, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kleigh1213 | June 21, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Now we are back at Presidents taking time away from the White House "having fun". Has anyone done research on how former Presidents spent their time "decompressing"? I did a Google search on President Bush (2000-2008) and found that he spent 487 days at Camp David (nice taxpayer paid resort to take it easy and get your sea legs back). Mr. Bush II also took 77 trips to Crawford, TX in Air Force One from 2000-2008 and spent 490 days there, riding the range, punching cattle and just plain "kicking around".

Posted by: jordor | June 21, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

For the first time in my adult life, I am ashamed of our alleged president. It is staggering to see how thin-skinned he is, how petty, how much he ridicules and demonizes any opposition. Go ahead and have a good laugh at Hayward's expense, Mr. Obama. The world is laughing at your childishness.

Posted by: NoWayNotNow | June 21, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

"You know, look, if Tony Hayward wants to put a skimmer on that yacht and bring it down to the Gulf, we'd be happy to have his help," Burton said to laughter in the White House briefing room.

In order for Mr. Hayward to do as suggested by Mr. Burton,
President Obama would first have to waive the Jones Act.

"I don't think that there's a person in this country that doesn't think that their president ought to have a little time to clear his mind," Burton said.

I agree and hopefully President Obama will waive the Jones Act.

Posted by: pensamisai | June 21, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

So the pot is calling the kettle...ummm....black?

Posted by: NoWayNotNow | June 21, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

So the pot is calling the kettle...ummm....black?

Posted by: NoWayNotNow | June 21, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

It wouldn't matter if they put a skimmer on that yacht. Obama would probably reject it like he rejected all the other offers of help.

Posted by: rld2 | June 21, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

While Glibb Gibbs is mocking a private citizen, Germany is 'dismissing' OBAMA! Maybe Gibbs should start taking care of his own knitting!

Posted by: wheeljc | June 21, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Is George Soros the real power behind Team Obama? Obama just steps in one cow patty after another -- and does not seem capable of learning from his mistakes. Someone else must be pulling Obama's strings for he does not appear to have the intellectual gifts to make it by himself! Glibb Gibbs is not helping his image ..... one iota!

Posted by: wheeljc | June 21, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

It's amazing how politicians and partisans from both sides of the political aisle egage in acrobatcis to shift their veiws depending on who they're attacking. Obama and the dems attack republicans for the same behavior they engaged in when they didn't have the White House. Republicans are now attacking Obama for the same conduct they defended Bush for when he was in office. Neither side has any standing and neither side is actually doing what they were elected to do.

Posted by: logan303 | June 21, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

BHO is in no way competent or experienced enough to be in the position! We have been ROFL since he was 'ordained'...no experience whatsoever! We are ROFL at these oh-so-accurate comments on this page today,,,took 18 or so months, but we knew it wouldn't be a full two years! In November, all should vote incumbents out or dems out and give the dems some to really whine about!

Posted by: crowne2 | June 21, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Manipulators Hayward and Blackwater, Cheney caused the oil spill and Hayward is suppose to be the expert. GET A GRIP! Do you enjoy being set up? President Obama is not an oil spill expert. He looks ten years older than he looked when elected less than 20 months ago.

Posted by: webster11 | June 21, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Hayward can't skim the Gulf since Obama won't sign off on the Jones act.

Posted by: evil_edwardo | June 21, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

The article says
"At the same time, Burton defended the president's Saturday golf outing, which has also come in for some fire, saying, "I don't think that there's a person in this country that doesn't think that their president ought to have a little time to clear his mind.""

I for one do think that the president should take time to clear his mind. If he had one!!

He needs a reality check as a productive human being.

Posted by: fslceo | June 21, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Obama golfs (7 times) while tens of thousands of Americans loose their livelihood because the Great One has refused to call to action the worlds' tankers to siphon oil, the military to erect booms and skimmers, the jobless to build berms to protect our wetlands and protect millions of sea and shore creatures.

All this, called for in Week 1 on this website. So he has no excuse to say that he's doing all he knows how, which is what he has said.

In Week 9, after political fundraisers, golfing, golfing, golfing, golfing, golfing, golfing, baseball, basketball, hobnobbing with rock stars, the Great One still has done nothing significant to protect America's wetlands.

And the WH complains about one day in the life of the head of BP. It's a good thing this wasn't a hurricane or Obama's inaction and blame-placing would stand so tall, without anyone like BP to blame for his inaction, the media would be scrambling hard to defend his uncaring destruction of our Gulf Coast and the way of life of tens of thousands of Americans.

Posted by: llrllr | June 21, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

the white house MOCKS hayward?!?!

is this the same white house that has the LOSER president in it that waited SIX WEEKS to accept international help???

THE WHITE HOUSE HAS NO REASON TO BE MOCKING ANYONE.

i on the other hand, DO have a reason to mock o'bama.

why?

because he's a friggin idiot.

@(oo)@ o'bama says, " o'bummer... this oil spill is really a drag. i think i'll go play golf."

Posted by: NewsNuclear | June 21, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Obama and Hayward are both lazy guys. Both have positions of great responsibility and great compensation. Both are slackers. Obama should be working on real world issues more and giving speeches and playing golf less. Ditto Hayward. Birds of a feather.

Posted by: student1776 | June 21, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

IT IS COMICAL TO HEAR BURTON'S LOGIC. OBUMA CAN TAKE TIME OFF TO PLAY GOLF TO CLEAR HIS MIND WHILE THE BP EXECUTIVE MUST KEEP HIS NOSE TO THE GRINDSTONE.
AT SOME POINT IN TIME THE PEOPLE OF THE US WILL REALIZE WHAT A JOKE THEY HAVE IN THE WHITE HOUSE. OBUMA HAS NO EXPERIENCE BEING INVOLVED IN MAKING CRITICAL DECISIONS. RE RELIES ON HIS "STAFF." THE WORST DECISION THAT HAS BEEN MADE IN TIS WHOLE MESS IS TO STOP PRODUCTION OF ALL OTHER WELLS. THE REASON GIVEN IS TO PREVENT FUTURE SPILLS. IF THIS WERE TRUE WHY NOT A PERMENANT STOP RATHER THAN 6 MONTHS. THIS RECKLESS DECISION IS COSTING THOUSANDS OF WORKERS JOBS AND INCOME. BUT WE WILL SOON SEE A REQUEST FOR ANOTHER STIMULUS PACKAGE TO HELP THE WORKERS THAT OBUMA IS HURTING. HE JUST HAS NO ECPERIENCE. IF THE DEMS ARE NOT DISGUSTED NOT, THEY WILL NEVER BE.

Posted by: MALBENNET | June 21, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

It is embarrassing that Mr. Obama criticizes another for what he allows himself.

Totally hypocritical.

And yet so totally expected....

Obama=Jimmy Carter to the second power....

Posted by: grcac | June 21, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Have we ever had a White House so void of manners, and just down right RUDE? Between Gibbs, Obama, Axelrod, and Emanuel, it is always someone else's fault; they blame other for all of the errors in judgment and their foibles, and now they have gone to mocking.

How does Obama think he is going to bring folks to his way of thinking when he calls them liars (like Sen Kyle)?

I used to think that Obama was an intelligent individual. I am now beginning to believe that Harvard had LOW GRADUATION STANDARDS.

Team Obama is quickly becoming an embarrassment!

Posted by: wheeljc | June 21, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Tarbaggers. All of them. Period.

Posted by: Larsinkima | June 21, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

The frontman goes on holiday while the destruction continues.

At least the American sheeple are waking up to their scams.

For example, the government's Income tax scam (courtesy of bankers).

It’s not any harder than “excluded income”, “eliminated income”, “eliminated items”, or any harder than simple instructions, such as “how to determine taxable income”.

WHAT IS TAXED . COM

Posted by: truthfullyspeaking | June 21, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

ynot4tony2 wrote:

"I'll put my science degree up against yours any day you want, slappy. We could then have a debate where you draw on your extensive Al Gore propaganda and I draw off tested scientific theories."

Al Gore isn't a climatologist. See, this is where you all run off the rails, never to be seen again in the rational arena. Al Gore is just a well-informed layperson who has admirably used his bully pulpit to present the findings of scientists to the general public. Sort of like Carl Sagan did with Cosmos (though Sagan was a physicist).

When you attack him, you immediately identify yourself as someone who hasn't the credentials, data or argument to attack the repeated, confirmed findings of THESE PEOPLE:

Give. it. up.

Posted by: B2O2 | June 21, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

DRaymer wrote:

"Produce a demographic that indicates most republicans are uneducated."

Your post will do nicely as a start.

"Also note that the greenhouse gasses you so firmly believe in..."

Believe in? BELIEVE in? Are you folks now claiming that greenhouse gases do not even exist? If so, this is why your kind has become known as uneducated.

"...are not the magic bullet to extinction as you seem to think."

Not extinction, for mankind (thousands of species of animals, yes - this is already being documented), but a chaotic, painful, costly and deadly (150K deaths a year already, according to one study published in Nature) crisis during the adaptation period that the presence of your kind has foisted upon humankind.

"Man-made global warming is challenged by as many as it is supported, educated or otherwise."

Only in the Glenn Beck la-la land of denial. In the apparently irrelevant demographic of peer-reviewed science, it is the view of 97% of those scientists studying it:

Time for you to muster up some common decency, if you can't find your way to full-blown loyalty to the human race. You may hate science and modernity, but surely there must be some people you love.

Posted by: B2O2 | June 21, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

The sleaze ball who is sitting in the White House is using the destruction of the Gulf to promote his agenda. It's obvious his only concern is how he appears to the public in getting some resolve. He is ineffective as a leader and is a small time community leader hack. Like Marie Antoinette, "let them eat cake" is his motto, oblivious to the pain and plight of those on the Gulf Coast.

Posted by: jminton1 | June 21, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

The more outragsous this adminstration gets the more I am suspecting that poor Obama is just the figurehead! He has umpteen "spokes persons" all of whom have to intepret what he says. His Czars are getting to be a joke...albeit sick ones! . The "attack" on Hayward is a pure case of "Do what I say, not what I do" I don't excuse Hayward's tin ear....but how can people be so deaf as to excuse Obama's???? It's time we stopped blaming poor little ObaME. He's just doing what he is being told to do...and he'll get all the goodies!!!! He is designing his dacha now!!

Posted by: vltg | June 21, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

B2O2 said: "Yes, well most conservatives are idiots with the science education of a sixth grader. (Wait, that's a little dismissive toward sixth graders, many of whom understand what our emitted greenhouse gases are doing to our continued ticket to live on this planet.)"

I'll put my science degree up against yours any day you want, slappy. We could then have a debate where you draw on your extensive Al Gore propaganda and I draw off tested scientific theories. Once your head explodes after you run out of talking points, I would still continue to drive your argument into the dirt.

You see, I am passing judgment on you based off your idiotic comments. You are passing judgment on millions and millions of people you've never met, simply because they disagree with the liberal mantra of radical environmentalism.

Do all the degreed scientists who disagree with you have less education than 6th graders? Think before you speak. You'll save yourself major embarrassment.

Posted by: ynot4tony2 | June 21, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I don't think there's a person in the country that doesn't think its clear their president has a little mind. His pursuit of golf, state dinners, cuddling up to has-been entertainers, etc. is nothing short of infantile. They sold us Abraham Lincoln; they delivered Homer Simpson.

Posted by: natster1 | June 21, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Where does it say that the White House tels someone that they cannot spend time with their family or how they should spend time with their family?

They are nothing but arrogant thugs and people are starting to see them for what they are. The classless punks are pushing and people are going to be pushing back.

By the time midterm elections come around, people will be so sick of Obama campaigning on this oil spill that they won't be listening to him any more and his poor ego probably can't take it but the Obamedia will fix that although I don't think it will be enough this time.

Obama and the White House need to stay out of Haywards personal life and worry a bout their own disregard for the country they swore to protect and have done nothing but fight it since they took office

Posted by: ieklein | June 21, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Hayward after his Congressional spanking, was relieved of his DUTIES; but Obama hasn't been yet!!

Posted by: theaz | June 21, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

it's pretty evident that the administration (from the President on down) believe that this disaster is just business as usual. They see the advantage to just leave it do what it's going to do.

BP was (and still is) a big supporter of this administration. They were shutting down this well. So shutting down the industry in the Gulf benefits the multinational companies (oil and drilling support) rather than the businesses of the Gulf--whether that is oil support or fishing.

The US voter must determine who supports their interests in the coming elections--the people who feel a major disaster is business as usual or those who know that sending jobs away and ruining livelihoods doesn't have a political cast to it.

For this administration and much of Congress everything is for party and little is for people or even the electorate. I chose not to be pwnd.

Posted by: mil1 | June 21, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mil1 | June 21, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

B202 -- resorting to ad hominem attacks is a sure sign of the inability to support a position with logic and reason. Support your statement. Produce a demographic that indicates most republicans are uneducated.

Also note that the greenhouse gasses you so firmly believe in are not the magic bullet to extinction as you seem to think. Man-made global warming is challenged by as many as it is supported, educated or otherwise. The oil spill represents at least as large a threat, perhaps more. People will starve in the next 5 years if the POTUS doesn't quit playing golf, mocking others and actually act like a leader.

Posted by: DRaymer | June 21, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile the Obama administration through the U.S. Export Import Bank has guaranteed 10 Billion in loans for offshore oil exploration off the Coast of Brazil. This exploration will be conducted by Brazil’s state controlled oil company Petrobras. Petrobras is the single largest investment ($811 million) by the George Soros controlled hedge fund.
We all know that the billionaire George Soros has been the biggest financial supporter of Obama and this administration.

Many of the drilling jobs could end up going to Brazil, which recently discovered numerous oil fields off its coast. Brazilian oil company Petrobras wants to tap those fields but lacks the rigs.

"They're licking their chops saying, 'We'll take them'" from the U.S., said industry analyst Collin Gerry.

Posted by: corebanks1940 | June 21, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

No-one seems to be taking this -- and other environmental disasters -- seriously enough. Let's take some real action for the future and make ecocide an international crime http://www.facebook.com/Ecocide

Posted by: joester88 | June 21, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Tony: be lunatic-left PC smart - i.e. goof-off in exactly the same way hussein does (golf, concerts, date nights, playing basketball, extorting money, etc. etc. etc.)! Then, when the lunatics slam you, just show the video of hussein doing the same thing. Maybe that will cause these hypocrites to shut-up for a while.

Posted by: TeaPartyPatriot | June 21, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

It would be wonderful if BHO would play golf 24/7/365; that way he wouldn't be able to lay his "Obama Touch" on anything (or any issue) that's very important and turn it instantly into a steamy, stinking turd pile.
He only provides "Change You Can Smell".

Posted by: Punkindrublic | June 21, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Conservative talk show host Mark Williams, chairman of the California-based Tea Party Express, said the White House went too far by pressuring BP to create the fund while the Justice Department is conducting criminal and civil probes of the spill.

"I'm accustomed to mobsters behaving that way, I'm just not accustomed to it from the president, especially when he's standing there with the attorney general threatening legal action," Williams said. "Where I come from, they call it extortion."

Even in the Gulf states of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida, where people's daily lives are affected by beach closures, tar balls and the endangerment of the seafood and tourism industries, some say they're not angry at BP.

"I think BP is being extremely generous and they should be commended for that. They're going above and beyond, as far as I'm concerned," said retired civil servant and tea party organizer Charlie Purchner of Long Beach, Miss., where booms are floating less than a mile offshore in case oil approaches.

Many conservatives believe, like Paul, that Obama is using the oil spill to push a climate change bill they believe will raise the cost of energy and kill jobs.

"Why the hell are you bringing up cap and trade and increased carbon taxes in the same breath as dealing with this emergency?" asked Mark Falzon, who's active in three New Jersey tea party groups and is state coordinator for the national Tea Party Patriots.

Seattle blogger and tea party activist Keli Carender said Obama should focus on controlling and cleaning up the oil spill by marshaling the National Guard and other federal resources to the Gulf Coast.

Posted by: corebanks1940 | June 21, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

He only provides "Change You Can Smell".

Posted by: Punkindrublic | June 21, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

It is undignified, "unprofessional," and sophmoric for the Executive branch of government to make light comments (or any comments) about the behavior of anyone it or the government is having to deal or negotiate with.

Posted by: sdl63 | June 21, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

More typical arrogance, disrespect and hypocrisy from this admnistration. It is okay for the President to do something to take his mind of the pressures of his job, but not the CEO of BP? Nonesense. They are both entitled to these times of unwinding. Instead of always looking for some political angle to hide the incompetency of your administration and you, Mr. President, do your job and show some class for a change.

Posted by: reesorv | June 21, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

And Burton made a huge gaffe, that, unfortunately most people will miss because the press isn't reporting the huge travesty being committed by Obama. Hayward CAN'T bring his yacht over here to skim oil, because UNION RULES won't allow foreign boats here to do work. Other countries have offered, the Gulf Coasties are begging for them, but thanks to our government, they can't be used. So Mr. Burton, before making your snide remarks, maybe you should check if you are actually rubbing salt in the wounds of hurting people.

Posted by: MitchTurner | June 21, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

And the crazies are back at it and have clearly forgotten to take their medication....LMAO.. There are too many folks getting all worked up over two people taking a day off of their weekend to decompress... Seeing how it's dinner time for most of you, please don't forget to take your medicine before commenting on another article and then the rest of the night to decompress.

Posted by: Debonair31 | June 21, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Okay children: time to Man or Woman up. Tell me what you drive, and the estimated gas mileage of it.

Come on. Or are you just projecting your guilt outward when you try to demonize BP for your sins?

WE caused this. Grow up.

Posted by: B2O2 | June 21, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

White comments on Hayward???? Obama has
never had a real job in his life. He does not know what the definition of real work
is is....Over two months to say yes to
foriegn ships to help in the spill recovery. If Rudy Junliani or Romney were
in they would have camped out in the Gulf
as a second White House. This guy lacks
ability to command and is lazy to the core.
God - how could half of america been this blind. Will some one wake up the blind?

Posted by: maxcodypepper | June 21, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Proof positive that "If you don't get it ... you must work in the White House".

President Obama hates Cajun and Jewish people.

Posted by: MDDem1 | June 21, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

The White House needs to chill with this mess. This makes them sound "retarded!"

Posted by: madstamina | June 21, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

That just shows how immature and unbalanced this administration is in handling whatever comes there way, be it good, bad or neutral.

This administration has been extremely defensive on most topics. This has become annoyingly a consistant response regardless of the situation. Is this a matter of immaturity, or perhaps an indication that Mr. Obama is in over his head and so he strikes out first fearing that criticism is near?

It is sad and embarrassing that Mr. Obama criticizes another for what he allows himself. Completely immature and hypocritical.

Posted by: prossers7 | June 21, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

If Mr. Hayward isn't deserving of a little time to clear his mind, then how can the president, who has a lot more on his plate, have the luxury of taking time away from the job? After all, the President should be concentrating on two major wars this country is involved in, with tens of thousands of U.S. military, USG, and contractor personnel working to fight terrorism. He's concentrating on the war on terrorism as a whole, isn't he? He's concentrating on jobs and employement, isn't he? He's concentrating on health care programs, isn't he? How, with all he has on his agenda, can he take time to go to baseball and basketball games, to go to the theater, to have outside dinners, let alone go golfing. Or, if you're going to suggest that he can do his job away from the site, if he has qualified people doing their job, doesn't Mr. Hayward fit into the same position as a head of his organization? If Mr. Hayward should be on site 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, should we expect less from the singular individual that the American people choose to lead them? Someone who voluntary ran for the office of serving the American people?

It's getting harder and harder to be stick up for the White House when it makes inane comments such as these.

dungarees@gmail.com

Posted by: Dungarees | June 21, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

It is ok for Hayward to take a day off, and it is ok for Obama to do the same.

The story here is Bill Burton,who must be a shmuck to critizise one and okay the other.

Posted by: rugcutter1 | June 21, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

BARRYSAL,

NOT SURE WHAT U'RE TALKING ABOUT... THE COMMENT ABOUT 'SMALL PEOPLE' WAS MADE NEITHER BY THE PRESIDENT NOR BY THE PROGRESSIVES... IT WAS MADE BY THE BP CHIEF.

And the Oil industry has been always supported and almost financed and invested in, by republicans not democrats/ progressives...

So, I do hope u'll be working towards keeping the Republicans off the ruling seat...

Posted by: fredds70 | June 21, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

WH just doesn't get it that the digs only play well for the small group of politically connected people. Outside, looking in, this WH is increasingly juvenile and irrelevant.

Posted by: drc231 | June 21, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Dare I say that the last year of Obama can be characterized by LAZINESS. Lazy policies, lazy advocacy and lazy PR.

Of course we can't talk about it - stereotypes and all. But how lazy is it to show up with jokes about the BP guy when YOU ARE DOING THE EXACT SAME THING!

There are lots of examples. Like when the WH lead said "BP is a great partner with us on this...Oh, that was a bad choice of words...uh, uh, uh." Or how about being too LAZY to contact BP for 57 days!

I guess you can afford to be lazy when your "IQ is OFF THE CHARTS!" Hey, Beschloss and the MSM are lazy too. How about that?

Posted by: pascal64 | June 21, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

"I don't think that there's a person in this country that doesn't think that their president ought to have a little time to clear his mind." Really, are you jokers kidding? You can start by counting me as that person who doesn't think he needs any more down time than he's already had. Not to mention, that this Presidents mind is so limited on space, I am sure just the ride to the golf course would do the clearing job, for criminy sake.

Posted by: Pattieb112 | June 21, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Pot, meet Kettle.

Posted by: yabecoo | June 21, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

So Obama believes that everyone is equal -- but Pigs are more Equal

George Orwell saw the future - our current White House is 1984 personified - from Pigs are more equal to war is peace - everything is totally upside down

we are in deep trouble and we MUST throw the bums out - vote against the incumbents

Posted by: LarryHN | June 21, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

The Dear Leader said he would not rest until the well was plugged. The Dear Leader said he was in charge and the 'buck' stopped as his desk. Heyward said none of this. Heyward is relieved of his responsibilities as point man for the spill and its clean up by BP. He's not in charge anymore. Why bother with him, whether he goes boating or camping or whatever. But Barry IS still in charge. Well, for only 24 months or so......

Posted by: jellymon | June 21, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the White House took some PR lessons from BP.

BP said about Hayward:
"He's spending a few hours with his family at a weekend. I'm sure that everyone would understand that," (BP)said Saturday. "He will be back to deal with the response. It doesn't detract from that at all."

WH about Obama

Way too similar excuses!

Posted by: bkalin1 | June 21, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

An examination by The New York Times highlights the chasm between the oil industry’s assertions about the reliability of its blowout preventers and a more complex reality. It reveals that the federal agency charged with regulating offshore drilling, the Minerals Management Service, repeatedly declined to act on advice from its own experts on how it could minimize the risk of a blind shear ram failure.

It also shows that the Obama administration failed to grapple with either the well-known weaknesses of blowout preventers or the sufficiency of the nation’s drilling regulations even as it made plans this spring to expand offshore oil exploration.

“What happened to all the stakeholders — Congress, environmental groups, industry, the government — all stakeholders involved were lulled into a sense of what has turned out to be false security,” David J. Hayes, the deputy interior secretary, said in an interview.

Even in one significant instance where the Minerals Management Service did act, it appears to have neglected to enforce a rule that required oil companies to submit proof that their blind shear rams would in fact work.

As it turns out, records and interviews show, blind shear rams can be surprisingly vulnerable. There are many ways for them to fail, some unavoidable, some exacerbated by the stunning water depths at which oil companies have begun to explore.

But they also can be rendered powerless by the failure of a single part, a point underscored in a confidential report that scrutinized the reliability of the Deepwater Horizon’s blowout preventer. The report, from 2000, concluded that the greatest vulnerability by far on the entire blowout preventer was one of the small shuttle valves leading to the blind shear ram. If this valve jammed or leaked, the report warned, the ram’s blades would not budge.

This sort of “single-point failure” figures prominently in an emerging theory of what went wrong with the Deepwater Horizon’s blind shear ram, according to interviews and documents. Some evidence suggests that when the crew activated the blind shear ram, its blades tried to cut the drill pipe, but then failed to finish the job because one or more of its shuttle valves leaked hydraulic fluid.

These kinds of weaknesses were understood inside the oil industry, documents and interviews show. And given the critical importance of the blind shear ram, offshore drillers began adding a layer of redundancy by equipping their blowout preventers with two blind shear rams.

Posted by: corebanks1940 | June 21, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Graceless, childish finger pointing by the White House makes Obama's golf outing look unbecoming.

Posted by: JAH3 | June 21, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

It is always amazing to see the President take EVERY opportunity to throw blame somewhere else and deflect it off of himself.. for basically doing the same thing. He wanted this job and now that he has it he doesn't know what to do in a time of crisis.. I think the people of his party who ran against him warned us of that.

Posted by: tbastian | June 21, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the job of "PLAYING PRESIDENT" is a hard one. How much harder than it would be if he actually acted like one, and did his job.

THE ARROGANCE OF THE PROGRESSIVES IS OUTRAGEOUS! THEY THINK THAT US "SMALL PEOPLE" ARE JUST STUPID, LESS THAN HUMAN, TRASH, AND THAT WE ACTUALLY BELIEVE WHAT THEY SAY.

NOVEMBER IS COMING! WE'LL SEE HOW STUPID THE "SMALL PEOPLE" ARE THEN.

WE'LL REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

Posted by: barrysal | June 21, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

NOVEMBER IS COMING! WE'LL SEE HOW STUPID THE "SMALL PEOPLE" ARE THEN.

WE'LL REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

Posted by: barrysal | June 21, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

So, we have come to this...again - childish taunts over small insignificant events to score supposed political points. The watching the yacht vs the golf outing. Is this important in any way toward stopping the leak or to the functioning of the government? Of course not. Are mindless press briefings by Bill Burton relevant to anything except the fact that my tax dollars pay his salary for spewing this drivel? Again, of course not.

Posted by: fwillyhess | June 21, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

OH REALLY! Are you NUTS!

How about the kids dying in Afghanistan, they will NEVER golf again!

I thought he was focused "Like a laser" on jobs!

OR

the Oil Spill.

I think that November 2nd will let you know how many folks think you were wrong with that statement!

Posted by: edgeco1 | June 21, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't mind our 'little Messiah' taking time to clear his mind if he had one.

With his ratings at their present level I would suggest the best path for him to take is to 'walk softly and carry a "small" stick.'

And it would greatly enhance his ratings if he would just shut the mouth of that panty waist Gibbs. My God, that guy is an absolute loser.

Posted by: dharper2 | June 21, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Leave the jokes to Jon Stewart, Gibbs.

Posted by: hoos3014 | June 21, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Leave the jokes to Jon Stewart, Gibbs.

Posted by: hoos3014 | June 21, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse