Boehner not sure if his brothers have jobs

At a media breakfast Wednesday, House Minority Leader John Boehner attempted to show that he sympathizes with the unemployed. But in the process he admitted that he didn't even know whether his own siblings had jobs.

"I've got real empathy for those who are unemployed," the Ohio Republican said. "As most of you know, I've got 11 brothers and sisters. I know that three of my brothers lost their jobs. I'm not sure whether they've found jobs, yet, so I've got a lot of empathy for those caught in this economic downturn."

The House is voting on an extension of unemployment benefits today. Boehner, along with other congressional Republicans, opposes the emergency extension unless it is paid for with unspent funds from the financial stimulus rather than added to the national debt.

In a recent interview with The Washington Post, Boehner promised that if Republicans take back the House in the November elections, he will lead with fiscal discipline in mind. He offered no examples of what programs he would actually cut. At the Christian Science Monitor breakfast, he pointed to Rep. Paul Ryan's Road Map as a guide for trillions in cuts, but would not endorse the entire plan.

By Rachel Weiner  |  July 22, 2010; 10:58 AM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Male Senate candidate: Vote for me 'because I do not wear high heels'
Next: My baptism into the brave new world of modern journalism

Comments

M. Weiner, the object is to get the story correct, even the background. Boehner and other Repubs are upset because last year, Obama insisted that the unemployment compensation extensions be "paid for," that is, do not increase our universe-sized deficits. This year, Obama, is reversing himself (sound familiar?) and saying the Repubs are being mean spirited because they want the extensions "paid for."

Obama speaks out of both sides of his mouth, which is not unusual, just not what he promised.

Posted by: RonKH | July 26, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure this guy regularly churns out the "family values" nonsense, too. As a native Ohioan, I'm happy to contribute to anyone who runs against him.

Posted by: thebuckguy | July 24, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Boehner's brother is not bitter.

From what I've seen of high level Republicans, is that an aftertaste ?

Posted by: gannon_dick | July 23, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure John helps his brother...that's the way it works in my family

Posted by: houston123 | July 23, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Quit criticizing Boehner's not knowing if his three brothers had found a job yet. If most of us came from that large a family we probably wouldn't remember the 11 first names, or, even their birthdays, without consulting our wives or calling mom ... and most especially, wouldn't have a clue as to what has transpired in our sibling's lives each day. Get a life!

Posted by: roanns | July 23, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Apparently Mr. Boehner is connected to his family no better than he's connected to the reality of the nation. Go home, John and get reacquainted with your family. The unemployed of this nation are tired of you.

Posted by: sober1 | July 23, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

House Minority Leader Bohner is not his brother's keeper. What requirement does he have to support them ... the same as the messiah does to support his father and aunt maybe?

Posted by: pielusztcontractor | July 23, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Boehner siblings???? []They don't need to worry]] Boehner worry about his sibblings !!!The republicans are doing nothing to help now they may not have a place or country to live in when they grow up NOW IS THE TIME TO TAKE CARE OF NOW.
TO GROW A BUSINESS SOMETIMES YOU BORROW
TO CREATE JOBS YOU CAN BORROW.
TO START A NEW VINERY YOU BARROW
YOU CAN'T PAY IT BACK IF YOU DON'T CREATE IT FIRST
IT'S BORROW TIME ,I DON'T LIKE IT,BUT IT IS FACT

Posted by: theoldmansays | July 22, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Bonhner sibling don't need to worry about his sibblings !!!The republicans are doing nothing to help now they may not have a place or country to live in when they grow up NOW IS THE TIME TO TAKE CARE OF NOW.
TO GROW A BUSINESS SOMETIMES YOU BORROW
TO CREATE JOBS YOU CAN BORROW.
TO START A NEW VINERY YOU BARROW
YOU CAN'T PAY IT BACK IF YOU DON'T CREATE IT FIRST
IT'S BORROW TIME ,I DON'T LIKE IT,BUT IT IS FACT

Posted by: theoldmansays | July 22, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

What a sensitive guy! Boehner is fortunate to have so many siblings. He should cherish them, keep in touch with them. What happened to the much-touted family values of the Party of NO? Compassion does begin at home.

Posted by: castleb | July 22, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Boehner is not his brothers' keeper! They can sink or swim on their own. Caring about others is a commie plot.

Posted by: Jihm | July 22, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

"Jews Media?" Fox News too? Surely not Fox News? Tell me it isn't so Mr. Anti-Semite.

Posted by: UKiddingMe | July 22, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

I NEVER thought I'd say something in defense of John Boehner but it's not likely that he meant he didn't care whether his brothers had jobs, which the slant this story appears to take.
AND...
When there are 11 children in a family, it can be difficult to keep track of everyone. You can probably cut him a little slack. BUT I would imagine his mother, if she is living, would appreciate a little help from her most "successful" son in keeping track of the family and keeping them on track. Boehner obviously has, like many other conservative males who have yet to take a hard look at themselves, failed to understand what it means to "be a man". To care enough to put himself out there and know what is going on in his family's lives regardless of whatever may have transpired between them in the past.

Posted by: fromtheboulevards | July 22, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

The Jews Media is getting geared up to find anything and everything on Republican candidates while ignoring the fact that Liberal ideas are based on ENVY & THEFT.

Remember, if YOU go into a voting booth to vote for a candidate who is committed to stealing from others for your benefit, it's the same as you stealing from that person yourself. Why is it different if you use ballots instead of bullets? Morally, there is no difference at all!

Posted by: vince33x | July 22, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vince33x | July 22, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

I will be the first to admit that it is terrible to be unemployed and not have a job. I have always been willing to relocate to find employment to feed myself and my family even if it means that I have to work doing something for considerable less pay than I have been used to making or jobs that I would have considered to be for someone without a college degree. It is still easier to find a job when you have a job. It is a matter of what you want to do with your life.

Posted by: sales7 | July 22, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vince33x | July 22, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Bohner barks in unison with the likes of Palin, Bachman, Limbaug and the other dogs of Fox. Beware Americans these dogs are more dangerous than pit bulls and I dare to say the Al-Qaeda.

Posted by: postDC | July 22, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Another day that will live in "infamy" thanks to the infamous Repugs whose shameless words and actions are celebrated by the American media which wants US to believe that the mood of the nation is behind them.

Now who can blame Hugo Chavez for censoring the yellow press?

For goodness sake, let the president do his jobe without manufacturing lies and pretending to know what is good for the country.

The media never dared to even ask worse critize Chenney and Bush, now they feel is the OK corral to do it with Barak Obama just because he is a decent non confrontational man, want scandals move to Hollywood where you can deceive, manipulate and entertain the lowest denominator of people which they could care less what you have to say.

Enough, have somne decency and switch to another profession.

Posted by: postDC | July 22, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Boehner is concerned with only himself to the detriment of EVERYONE ELSE. He and other Repubs claim to have the rest of the world in mind when they do anything, but reality reveals that their own self interests are NUMBER ONE!!!!!!!!

Posted by: ronjeske | July 22, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Hummm...I seem to remember something about Obama's aunt (I think) living in public housing and other relatives being dirt poor in Kenya.

Posted by: neatstuffusa | July 22, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????Hmmmmm.....And that has what to do with President Obama or unemployment? Are you responsible for each and every family member you have? Why would you expect President Obama to be responsible for his Aunt or any other relative? See, here you go trying to start something that is not even an issue for the President.

Posted by: catmomtx | July 22, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

What is so deficient with you people that you need the Speaker of the House to care for you?

Get off your fat asses and get a job. If you can't get a job, join the Army. If you can't join the Army, start pickin cotton for John Edwards. Sniveling crybabies.

Posted by: jiji1 | July 22, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

LOL, well if he doesn't even care enough to find out whether his own siblings are employed or not .... you KNOW he won't give a kitty about EveryMan and Everywoman.

Posted by: Libramom | July 22, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

LOL, well if he doesn't even care enough to find out whether his own sublings are employed or not .... you KNOW he won't give a kitty about EveryMan and Everywoman.

Posted by: Libramom | July 22, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

He subscribes to the old "us four and no more" philosophy. He doesn't seem to care about anyone else but himself and I'm hoping maybe his immediate family.That does not surprise me.

What does though is that some people seem to think that we would be better off with that kind of mentality back in majority power. They do not care about us. They care about the very wealthy. They can't wait to get back into the game so that they can get back to their trickle down economic model that seemed to work out so well for us. Can't you tell?

Posted by: Princey | July 22, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Princey | July 22, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

The mere *THOUGHT* that this man could possibly become Speaker of the House is reason enough to check the Dem box.

The man doesn't even know if his own brothers and sisters have jobs. What a shining example of a human being, what a gripping endorsement of FAMILY VALUES!

And ANYONE, fish or foul who believes that the monies people receive for unemployment insurance is "paying people not to work" deserve UNEQUIVOCALLY to lose theirs. What stupid, pompous, trash talk!

Over 10 years ago I was unemployed, and let me tell you every bit of assistance was a LIFE LINE that helped me regain my footing to reenter the workforce, and prevent from sinking into far greater dependence on the state.

Wake up, people! Can't you smell political manipulation coming down the road? This one stinks worse than a skunk!

Posted by: ethanquern | July 22, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: neatstuffusa | July 22, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I have sisters and brothers and I know whether or not they have jobs or not. It's not that hard to keep up with a large family if you want to. Boehner should already know if his family has jobs or not. If they don't then he needs to take care of them seeing that he doesn't want them to have unemployment.

Posted by: mcdonalsherry | July 22, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I am convinced that if the Repubs take the House they will do all they can to create jobs, and severely cut the unemployment in this country. I don't really know how much help Boehner will be, but... The Dems have controlled Congress for 4 years, and we are much worse off than when they took control. Give the Repubs 4 years and the ability to ram through legislation.

Posted by: coffic | July 22, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

* Illegal Alien SCOFFLAW SCAMNESTY Is "TREASON" Against The MILLIONS Of UNEMPLOYED AMERICAN Workers !!!

Posted by: lennybeachboy999 | July 22, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lennybeachboy999 | July 22, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

It's horribly obvious that exactly what is missing in the hearts and souls of many a Republican is empathy. They are simply not able to think about another human being's situation and imagine themselves in it.

Even if they do have some empathy, many shunt it aside for the sake of political dogma. They are inferior examples of humanity.

Posted by: edismae | July 22, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

What's your point? How long will your children and grandchildren need to be raped to pay people not to work now?

Posted by: jiji1 | July 22, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

1. Open mouth
2. Insert foot
3. Repeat as necessary

Posted by: jimbo1949 | July 22, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Great family values.

Posted by: jckdoors | July 22, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I have 11 brothers and 2 sisters and you can be sure that I know who's employed and who's not (They all have jobs, by the way). Since when does the minority party get to pick the funding mechanism or filibuster until the majority party agrees with them.

We are in horrible economic times partially brought on the funding, tax cuts, and wars for which Boner voted.

Rupugnicants are losing any chance at any significant gains in November by their Bonehead stands.

Posted by: DougH1 | July 22, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Yet another boner.

Posted by: gwcox2 | July 22, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Okay, 11 siblings is a lot but still, not to know if three of his brothers are unemployed? And I'm betting, at least one his. I'm sure the minority leader's brother is happy his benefits are coming back.
btw, John's brothers should listen to www.jobtalkamerica.com for some great job search advice.

Posted by: kcsam215 | July 22, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Maybe his brothers are Democrats--oh, wait, he doesn't care about any Americans except the top 1%. I hope people are watching and listening to something besides Fox news. I get mad at the Dems until I take a close look at the Repubs and realize how uncaring and unpatriotic they are. Make sure Obama goes down, and take our country with him. Why should we blame the Dems when almost every single problem with our country and our economy can be traced back to 8 years of Republicans catering to big business and big money?

Posted by: laraine2 | July 22, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

So much empathy with his family that he doesn't even know if they've found employment? Maybe he can cut down on his tanning sessions and donate that money to the siblings he's working so hard to cut off from federal assistance.

Posted by: Jayne | July 22, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jayne | July 22, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Why does this not come as a surprise that he doesn't know whether his own brothers and sisters have jobs? He doesn't seem to realize that millions of Americans don't have jobs either. Talk about being out of touch.

Posted by: gilliardc | July 22, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Senator Boehner is the poster child for the hypocrites of the Republican/Tea Party who want to impose their brand of "family values" on everybody else while they ignore their own families.

At least they live the Big Lies that they practice.

Posted by: dl49 | July 22, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad he has such awesome credentials as a "Family Values" kind guy.

Posted by: thebobbob | July 22, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Why am I not surprised that Boehner's parents were overzealous breeders?

Posted by: jsmith021961 | July 22, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

In what way is your liberal agenda (apparent) priceless? I'd say a 12 trillion dollar pricetag is the least priceless thing on the entire planet. Good Morning, Please awaken now.

Posted by: WhyGo | July 22, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Priceless

Posted by: BasicInstinct | July 22, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Do the Weiner siblings all have jobs? Glad to hear it. Go check in with the JournOlist and see what your next super-consequential paragraph is to be. Really must be a slow news day at Rachel's desk.

Posted by: WhyGo | July 22, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

The Sherrod case brings to mind other past cases in Washington that became media events. Can you write an article that presents some of these earlier cases. I am thinking particularly of the case of Bunny _______ (I am sorry that I can't remember her last name). I would be most interested to learn how some of these were "resolved" and how the participants are faring these days.

Thank you, Nona M. Sanford