Male Senate candidate: Vote for me 'because I do not wear high heels'

By Aaron Blake
A new video shows Ken Buck, the leading Republican candidate in a Colorado Senate race, repeatedly using the word "bull----" and saying that voters should choose him over his female primary opponent "because I do not wear high heels."

Buck, the Weld County district attorney, made the remarks at a recent forum, in response to an audience question. Former lieutenant governor Jane Norton has been running a campaign ad decrying third-party spending on behalf of Buck's campaign and urging Buck to "be man enough" to run the ads himself.

"She has questioned my manhood; I think it's fair to respond," Buck continues in the video. "I have cowboy boots on. They have real bull--- on 'em. That's Weld County bull---, not Washington D.C. bull---."

The brief YouTube clip is edited to about a minute and a half and was not posted by Buck's campaign.

Buck spokesman Owen Lofthus said Norton has made gender an issue and noted that high heels have been invoked at several points in the campaign, including at least once by Norton's campaign manager.

"The Norton campaign has routinely commented about her being a good choice because she is a woman, and her choice of shoes," Lofthus said.

Norton spokeswoman Cinamon Watson suggested the video is Buck's Macaca moment -- a single clip that ruins a candidate's campaign (the term 'Macaca moment' was coined after then-Sen. George Allen was filmed in 2006 using a racial slur to refer to a rival campaign's staffer).

"Ken is going to have to use all of his best lawyer-speak to explain this really stupid statement," Watson said.

Recent polling has shown Buck overtaking Norton in the primary, but she has raised more money and has the unofficial support of the GOP establishment in the race.

The winner will face the Democratic nominee -- either appointed Sen. Michael Bennet or former state House Speaker Andrew Romanoff -- in November.

By Aaron Blake  |  July 21, 2010; 6:55 PM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DNC member paid by Jeff Greene before endorsement
Next: Boehner not sure if his brothers have jobs

Comments

Great advice there, Ken. In a year when women candidates are finally making headway in the GOP ranks, you're basically telling voters to disregard Nikki Haley, Sharron Angle, Kelly Ayotte and so many others. Way to go, Bubba.

By the way, I own a pair of cowboy boots and almost never wear 'em, precisely because they make me feel like I'm walking around in high heels. But whatever floats your boat, Mr. Craig.... err, Buck.

Posted by: whatmeregister | July 24, 2010 6:23 AM | Report abuse

I didn't see anything wrong with the video, except that I would be a little embarrassed uttering the word Bull S while young kids are standing right there.

But hey, maybe it's just me, although I'm far from prudish.

Posted by: case50 | July 23, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Ken Buck: If he had one nut, his scrotum would not be an empty sack.

Or...

Ken Buck: the only balls he has are drilled for finger and thumb holes, and are trademarked "Brunswick."

Or...

Ken Buck: Turd hopper, extraordinaire.

But...if Ken Buck is a turd hopper, why does he wear $^itkicker boots?
Posted by: angelos_peter | July 21, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

__________

Can't answer that question, amigo. You got to admit that, amid the constant tattoo of political commercials, this one got your attention. Goal number one for me: reach my next birthday in good health without being jailed. Everything else is goal 50. Were I to say "I don't wear heels" like that within hearing range of the wife, the chances of survival to the next birthday would be about 10%.

Posted by: Martial | July 22, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Misogyny, thy name is Ken Buck.

Posted by: jjedif | July 22, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Is it some requirement of Tea Party candidates that they repeatedly must make utter fools of themselves like this? Buck, Angle, Paul, etc. They'd all do better if they just shut up.

Posted by: taylorb1 | July 22, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

it's bad enough that we have to pretend the guys are not total idiots....but now we have to pretend the ladies are smart?.....please.

Posted by: OldSalt8 | July 22, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

No, but Aaron Blake does.

Posted by: jiji1 | July 22, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

"I have cowboy boots on. They have real bull--- on 'em."

And in them as well.

Posted by: Lefty_ | July 22, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Good point, if you wear cowboy boots for anything other than riding horses, then you are wearing high heels for the similar reason women do. It makes you taller, and more appealing to some people. Since cowboy boots are not more practical or comfortable than regular boots, or good dress shoes, its time we start calling them high heels.

Posted by: Muddy_Buddy_2000 | July 22, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

any time a male says "I don't wear high heels " (or "make-up" or "dresses") you really should check their closets.

Posted by: newagent99 | July 22, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Well, good explanation for why there's always a smell of bullsh** at Ken Buck's public appearances. However, I don't think it's only the boots...

Posted by: Gray62 | July 22, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

This is nothing. That's the problem with youtube and all the other BS. I wish I could vote in CO. I would vote for this guy. People have not learned from the Sherrod fiasco.

Posted by: xfactor211 | July 22, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Gotta love those GynOPhobes . . .

Posted by: mattintx | July 22, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I am from California and I don't know either one of these candidates. So I cannot comment on the relative merits of these candidates.

But, I don't think this video is anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be. In context, and with the right intonations, it sounds just fine. It is similar to the Sharrod speech rather than a Macaca moment.

That said, he still could be a redneck and misogynist. But this video is no smoking gun.

Posted by: kblgca | July 22, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

RepuBPlicans are the gift that just keeps on giving...

Posted by: areyousaying | July 22, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Better to wear heels than to be one.

Posted by: Loonesta | July 22, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Betting his boot heels are at least 2". Not high? High by definition.

Posted by: therev1 | July 22, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I know Repubs take delight in being obstructionists but gave them the benefit of having brains.
Will have to take that back now.
And to equalize, Obie stop asking for money. If you can't get reelected in 2012 its your own fault for being egocentric and not a leader.

Posted by: gany1 | July 22, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

It might do him some good to wear high heels for a day. Might humble his high and mighty self.

Posted by: Petals81 | July 22, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

May be Ken Buck the conservative republican dude does not wear high hells for the same reason as that other conservative republican from Utah Larry Craig who pander around in men's toilets looking for prey. His bull boots may even have panty hose instead of sox

Posted by: winemaster2 | July 22, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Any relation to Gale Norton? Pick whichever you want, either one loses in November.

Posted by: jmdziuban1 | July 21, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

El wrongo, liberal scum. Find out where Buck's fascia is to see the organ you SHOULD have mentioned. "I don't wear heels" is Promethean; you ever heard that comment before in your whole life? Not just in a campaign mind you, but at work, your place of worship, or even the bowling alley.
Posted by: Martial

--------------------------------------
I stand corrected. I should have written

Ken Buck: If he had one nut, his scrotum would not be an empty sack.

Or...

Or...

Ken Buck: Turd hopper, extraordinaire.

But...if Ken Buck is a turd hopper, why does he wear $^itkicker boots?

Posted by: angelos_peter | July 21, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I'd be disgusted with them both if I lived in Colorado.

Mr. Buck is simply responding to the childish taunts of Ms. Norton - he should know better, especially in this day and age of every other person carrying a smart phone with a video camera.

But if Ms. Norton's machine is stating that one of her qualifications is that her high heels will effectively kick Harry Reid in the shins? I'm a woman and I find that annoying. Act like an adult, not like a teenager desperate for attention.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | July 21, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Remember "W" and the ridiculous belt buckles? These guys are pretty insecure.

Posted by: Killoranz | July 21, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Ken Buck: What a scrotum!!!!!

Posted by: angelos_peter | July 21, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

________

Posted by: Martial | July 21, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

You mean "I do not wear high heels" ... that we know of.

Oh and another thing, saying that you have bull crap on your boots means you're too stupid to avoid walking into it.

'nuff said.

Posted by: bluicebank | July 21, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Ken Buck: What a scrotum!!!!!

Posted by: angelos_peter | July 21, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Buck forgot the first rule of modern day gender politics. It's OK for women to make gender an issue and attack a man's masculinity- a man can't.

Posted by: moebius22 | July 21, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Just more evidence you left coast limp-wrists don't understand American culture. Why is OK to brag about being a woman (or a "wise Latina") but not about being a cowboy-boot wearing man?

Did you check to see what the weanies on Journolist think? You know, that collection of halfwit punks who couldn't collectively beat up a girl scout troop but like to talk tough online?

I bet a good boot in the backside from Ken Buck would straighten them out a little.

Get in line, Ezra Klein. Queen of the punks.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | July 21, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

*****************
I'll bet you'd like Ken's boot in your tushie wouldn't you. And... I'll bet there's more
on you that's limp than just your wrist, but than again you are really a tough guy. Gee, you impress us with your toughness.... fritz

Posted by: papafritz571 | July 21, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Get in line, Ezra Klein. Queen of the punks.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | July 21, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

*****************

Posted by: papafritz571 | July 21, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Get in line, Ezra Klein. Queen of the punks.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | July 21, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

*****************

Posted by: papafritz571 | July 21, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Another crass old geezer.

He should lick his boots clean.

Posted by: veerle1 | July 21, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Let me guess - he has a wide stance.

Posted by: fleeciewool | July 21, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

"macaca" was not a racial epithet

Posted by: Nemo24601 | July 21, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Man, would I love to rummage through THAT closet --

Pssst, Ken, they're coming for you...

ROTFLMAO...

Posted by: thegreatpotatospamof2003 | July 21, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

At no time does Mr. Buck say "vote for me because I am not a woman." But that's what WaPo's headline on the video says. It is misleading in the utmost. You'd think, after the Sherrod storm, that a "responsible" paper would be more circumspect. Maybe a "responsible" paper would but in any event, WaPo's out their slinging garbage.

Posted by: gbooksdc | July 21, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps if he wore a pair of heels he would understand that they are not for wimps!

Posted by: binaryboy | July 21, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

he's got a point. If you bring gender (or heels) as one of your issues, the other candidate has a right to respond to call you on your bulls+_)

Posted by: changingfaces | July 21, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps if he wore a pair of heels he would understand how they are not for wimps!

Posted by: binaryboy | July 21, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

im guessing it was a joke, kind of like obama's "I bowl like a retard" line. the media is such a waste.

Posted by: dummypants | July 21, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

He looks like a f@g

Posted by: bendan2000 | July 21, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

These teabagger types have a lot in common Bin Ladin and his group, they should get together and compare notes.

Posted by: maxisgod | July 21, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

If it's good enough for J Edgar Hoover, its good enough for me.

Posted by: ceflynline | July 21, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Wow, bucky is quite a Loser-In-Advance.

It saves us from having to wait until election night.

Posted by: binkynh | July 21, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

"I dont wear heals"

didn't Larry Craig say that to?

Posted by: PennyWisetheClown | July 21, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

American Taliban = GOP

Posted by: lichtme | July 21, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Boy them GOP men are fixing to put women back where they belong, ain't they? Dad gum it, bless their hearts. Those good old boys is ornery nowadays. They seem to be willing to actually ADMIT what "traditional family values" really means. it has a lot to do with women getting back to their strengths... putting dinner on the table and shutting their pie holes.

Posted by: baldinho | July 21, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

There are only so many things I can get upset about. This makes me shrug.

Posted by: Booyah5000 | July 21, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm no teapartier, but talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

Posted by: richard27 | July 21, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Get in line, Ezra Klein. Queen of the punks.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | July 21, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Sir, I can safely say that, if I lived there, I would vote for her over you any day. People like this are a disgrace. Wherever you are.

Posted by: ravensfan20008 | July 21, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Maybe ol' Buck should walk a mile in her shoes before he goes all macho on everyone. He may be surprised. Lot's of other Republican men in the Senate love heels!

Posted by: thebobbob | July 21, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse