Obama celebrates two birthdays on the Fourth

By Anne E. Kornblut

President Obama celebrated the nation's birthday and his daughter Malia's on Sunday, heralding "the day when we celebrate the very essence of America and the spirit that has defined us as a people" while hosting a picnic at the White House.

More than a thousand guests, many of them members of the military, gathered on the South Lawn for hamburgers, hot dogs and watermelon pops on a hot summer evening. Obama spoke to the assembled crowd and, along with his wife, shook hands for about 15 minutes in the early evening.

"We celebrate the principles that are timeless, tenets first declared by men of property and wealth but wihch gave rise to what Lincoln called a new birth of freedom in America -- civil rights and voting rights, workers' rights and women's rights, and the rights of every American," Obama said. "And, on this day that is uniquely American, we are reminded that our Declaration, our example, made us a beacon to the world."

Later, Obama sent out an e-mail to his supporters noting his daughter's birthday -- her 12th. "The Fourth of July is especially dear to my family," Obama wrote.

By washingtonpost.com Editor  |  July 4, 2010; 9:39 PM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lindsey Graham: 'Our last, best chance' in Afghanistan; McCain: Obama should 'come to the border' ; Lieberman: Afghan deadline 'a mistake'
Next: McCain ad: No question Hayworth is a 'huckster'

Comments

Our company was planning on hiring but instead donated money to Arizona's defense against the Obama endorsed invasion of America by Mexican Gangs!

We were told that our company believes protecting America is more important than adding jobs at this time. Sorry job applicants, you have Obama to thank for your continued unemployment!

Posted by: fixitj | July 8, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

President Obama is a failing President. Of course The Post won't allow negative comments that point out the myriad of blunders and gross incompetence of this Administration, so we have to just rely on other media.

Posted by: hihi222 | July 7, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

DUDE!!! Get a grip. You can't find anything else to complain about because you can't be serious about this rant. Why should anyone have to tell you it is his job, did you not pay attention to other Presidents? President Obama works hard for the American people. He is not like the one who set an all time record for vacations, George Bush? The one who was on vacation when 9/11 and Katrina happened? The one who went on vacation even after sending our men and women over and over to his war of choice in Iraq? Get over yourself dude and try researching what accomplishments our President has made in the 17 months he has been in office. You'll probably be surprised. I dare you, educate yourself and stop looking stupid or like a jealous Sissie.

Posted by: catmomtx | July 5, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

_____________________________________

Catmomtx. I know that rewriting history has been very popular recently, but you need to learn facts as they happened. President Bush was in Florida on official visit when 9/11 happened. And I bet if you fator in Obama's daily basketball and golf half a day outings, he beats Bush hands down in vacation time. Who would have forget dinner trips to NY because " I promised Michelle"?

Posted by: charlie11z | July 7, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: catmomtx | July 5, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

_____________________________________

Posted by: charlie11z | July 7, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: catmomtx | July 5, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

_____________________________________

Posted by: charlie11z | July 7, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

How wonderful & coincidental that the President's daughter Malia shares the nation's birthday. I would like to take the opportunity to thank the President for the awfully hard and thankless job he has undertaken & for him to know that there are many of us out there who stand solidly behind him to make this a great nation.

Posted by: Lucy57 | July 6, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry but this 18 months of Obama has proved what he isn't. No other president partied as much as he has in these 18 months. And this is not racial....I wouldn't care if he was purple. And I am a Democrat. Sorry that I voted for him. The guy is not a leader and is in way over his head....and is surrounded by thugs. That old saying: you're known by the company you keep" pretty much tells us what kind of person he really is. The fact he has said we are no longer a Christian nation and how he leans toward the Muslims speaks volumes. I doubt the guy is even a natural born citizen. Wake up people!

Posted by: Que755 | July 6, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Que755 | July 6, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Does the President do ANYTHING except party, speechmaking, golf and fun, fun, fun? Please don't tell me its his job, because I've been around since FDR and the other presidents worked for a living.

Posted by: drzimmern1 | July 5, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: catmomtx | July 5, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

White House records indicate that President Obama has taken "less" vacation time that any President in history. Less than 2 weeks in 18 months (less than 1% of his time has been for vacation). President Bush #43 leads with approx 28% vacation time.
-------------------------------------

Posted by: drzimmern1

Posted by: madstamina | July 5, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

In another article with your Washington Post
there was a statement saying that Obama got all the votes. I am very sorry but, that is not true. It was Hillary Clinton that got 18,000,000 votes. It was the electoral votes that got Obama in. It was 29 Congressmen that got him those votes to put him in office. Our nations votes did not mean a thing and that is why the electoral votes got him in. Only 29 votes. Which means that our nations votes did NOT COUNT.

Posted by: littleeagle03 | July 5, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Obama it is stated in another article with the Washington Post states that he got all the votes. Sorry but, you are very wrong, it was Hillary Clinton that got 18,000,000 votes. Obama won the electoral votes of 29 and that is what got him in. It was those Congressmen that voted him in with only 29 votes. And if you will notice that our votes did not count. NOT one of this nations votes counted.

Posted by: littleeagle03 | July 5, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday, Malia! Happy Birthday USA!

Posted by: binkynh | July 5, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

happy birthday to malia and this country.
whether the president wrote the speech or not, do you agree with it? and did you ever question anything bush ever said.
your nonstop hatred and prejudices are obvious and not helpful.

Posted by: ninnafaye | July 5, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Happy birthday, Malia.

Posted by: Jose5 | July 5, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: drzimmern1 | July 5, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

screwjob17,
Did I mention you don't have to point at the President for us to see the incompetent boob? Look at little closer! Yes!!! Hint: mirror, mirror!!

Posted by: smartgirl312 | July 5, 2010 2:40 AM | Report abuse

"Did I mention yet that my father was a Kenyan Muslim?"

Barry the incompetent boob Obama

Posted by: screwjob17 | July 5, 2010 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday Malia! My birthday is the 4th as well, and it's a joy to celebrate. All the best...

Posted by: docmd | July 4, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

......"We celebrate the principles that are timeless, tenets first declared by men of property and wealth but which gave rise to what Lincoln called a new birth of freedom in America -- civil rights and voting rights, workers' rights and women's rights, and the rights of every American...."

...."And, on this day that is uniquely American, we are reminded that our Declaration, our example, made us a beacon to the world....."
///
Great lines. I wonder if President Obama writes his own speeches (short or long).
////