Brady Campaign slams Glenn Beck rally

Credit: National Rifle Association

By Emi Kolawole

The announcement that Glenn Beck would host a rally on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and on the anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "I Have A Dream Speech" was bound to attract critics.

In an editorial featured on The Huffington Post, Brady Campaign President Paul Helmke takes aim at the "Restoring Honor" rally, which is being heavily promoted by the National Rifle Association (NRA). "Most jarring is the sad irony of all of these people at the podium," writes Helmke, "with their supporters spread across our National Mall, celebrating, in part, their worship of guns, while invoking, quite blatantly, the legacies of two great Americans whose magnificent lives were cruelly cut short by bullets."

But Beck argues that the date is merely a coincidence. "The Restoring Honor Rally is neither a 9/12 nor a Tea Party rally," reads a press release,"There will be absolutely no politics involved. This rally will honor the troops, unite the American people under the principles of integrity and truth, and make a pledge to restore honor within ourselves and our country." Former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin (R), Singer Ted Nugent, actor Gary Sinise and former Petty Officer First Class Marcus Luttrell, a winner of the Navy Cross for service against the Taliban, will also be in attendance.

By Emi Kolawole  |  July 27, 2010; 1:06 PM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Disillusioned Obey to oppose Afghan funding bill
Next: Mike Cox denies partying in mayor's mansion

Comments

We are not rasist...we just want to take our country back. Obama stole the election do to voter intimidation at the poles by the black panthers. THAT IS A FACT. And the only reason blacks have there civil rights is because the REPUBLICANS gave them to them. Back in the 1960s the democrats were lined up with senator KKK Bird...and "reverend" King was too busy haveing affair and consorting with communists to care about "his" people. That is why Glenn Beck and us will be marching on August 28 and the Lincoln Memorial.

Posted by: SavedGirl | July 31, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Check out this promotional video for the Glenn Beck rally:

Posted by: ekiosity | July 30, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

How revealing to read the left-wing radicals calling other people racist, etc. The most racist people I know -- and I'm almost 80 -- are the ones who call others racist, from either the left or right.

But I hear racist attacks most often from the left. I guess when your intelligence and experience runs out, you cry racist! How sad.

I have watched MLK's niece on Beck's show (because I wanted to listen to her) and it is clear that she likes Beck.

I know Beck has a very troubled past, but at least now he is trying to correct some of his mistakes. And I respect him for trying.

What about you? Are you trying? Or are you already perfect?

Peace, folks, peace. Try to respect each other. You'll be dead a long time, so maybe trying to respect others now will make your life here a little easier and happier.

Peace. We're all Americans.

Posted by: RonKH | July 28, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

@orgbluspider:

Specifics, please.

You wrote a nice generalized description of how facts can, through errors of logic, lead to incorrect conclusions.

Unfortunately your description, with names changed, could apply to many folks out there.

Please provide for us a SPECIFIC example of Beck actually doing what you describe.

WARNING: In addition to Beck's, YOUR OWN logic will be on display when you do. We all know that can be daunting, but the quality of public discourse will have been improved.

Posted by: FreeSmart | July 28, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

@rtinindiana:

On his radio and TV shows Beck ROUTINELY describes his shameful past and his regret at what a "terrible human being" he was. Listen, watch, and see for yourself. He doesn't hide this from anyone. He is repentant. I think that in this way the Restoring Honor rally is just a teeny little bit about his own redemption.

If you can't answer a man's arguments, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names, but please enlighten us instead. Tell us what you believe and above all WHY you believe it. We will all benefit from the knowing.

Posted by: FreeSmart | July 28, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

@deidt:

Here are some of the ways the USA has been losing it's honor:

1) When some began using government power as a means to live at the expense of others.

2) When we began sending the US military, CIA, and others out into the world to do things inconsistent with the respect for individual rights embodied in our founding documents.

3) When we began thinking that government can take care of us, and should.

4) When we allowed the federal government to jump it's constitutional fence and did nothing to stop it.

5) When we began choosing to do to our fellow citizens in a private voting booth what we would never choose to do to them in public.

Posted by: FreeSmart | July 28, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Ask these two clowns when we lost our honor. And, what have they done to maintain our honor. As a former Navy combat vet, I find these two an abomination and frauds.

Posted by: jckdoors | July 28, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Almost every time I tune in to Glenn Beck's radio show he's giggling like a grade school kid over some sophomoric bit... He's a clown.

Posted by: LeeH60 | July 28, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Good grief.
Must be a slow news day when a Huffpost rant by an irrelevance becomes fodder for a "news" item in the Washpost.
Never mind that Helmke misses the point of the rally, which is to tip the hat to our special forces people on the sharp end of the spear of freedom.
What I would like to know is why Brady Co and Helmke aren't organizing a competing rally at the other end of the Mall. Or why won't they come to the rally itself to show support for the good guys with guns?
Keep bleating, Paul. I'm reloading....

Posted by: daskinner | July 28, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Is Beck still drinking? Give him a gun, chances are he'll shoot himself.

Posted by: jckdoors | July 28, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

It is truly sad that we have become an America of vitriol, rather than informed debate. I have watched and listened to enough Beck to know the guy is sincere in what he believes, and he does an enormous amount of homework before reaching his conclusions. I may not agree with all he concludes, but he is entitled to his beliefs based on his diligent pursuit of truth. The people that label him ignorant, emotional, racist, un-American,etc. are, in most instances, the same judges of character that believed and voted for our current President.

All you have to have is a laptop and an internet connection and you can lay your uninformed opinions on the rest of the world. Here's a thought: Spend some time investigating things on your own. Reach your own conclusions by actually doing your own research. It is harder than labeling everyone that disagrees with you a racist, but it is more rewarding.

Posted by: BillyD | July 28, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

All of you who feel the need to try to run down Beck, have never watched him. He is one of the FEW people out there today who speak the truth. If you don't believe him that is your problem.

I trust Beck 100 times more than anyone in this administration.

Posted by: texas1984 | July 28, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I actually have watched quite a bit of Glenn Beck (and used to occasionally scan Limbaugh). I think it is dangerous to ignore demagogues. I mostly feel sorry for the people who are on this post defending Beck as being a credible source of information. There is a reason that his show appears as commentary.

Taking a fact, usually out of context, and grossly distorting it to fit into a tortured rendition of reality does not constitute accurate information. My wife and I were watching Beck one evening and watched, what for him is a standard, start with one utterly innocuous fact and then make several unjustifiable leaps (complete lack of formal logic, near-total non sequitors that were, at-best only tangibly related) to land at a sinister conclusion. One can only feel sorry for people who think that this constitutes well researched information, because obviously, they cannot be reasoned with. (And to be clear, this is not about conservative versus liberal; there are solid, reasonable conservative arguments. It is about Glenn Beck; there is nothing logical or reasonable, if you actually stop to think about the connections he makes between sequential statements (just try it), about what he says.

At first, I was fuming mad about the speech, but now I think it is actually going to be a great thing. Imagine a hundreds of thousands of angry white (almost all men) crowding on the mall and yelling and screaming about the perceived injustice of... not being able to carry a concealed weapon everywhere (a school?)... having to pay pretty much the lowest personal income and property taxes in the developed world... for having a foreigner/Muslim for a president... That is going to be contrasted to people fighting to go to school, to vote... being mowed down by fire hoses and vicious attack dogs (set on them by people adamantly supporting state rights). Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin have set themselves up to be compared to Martin Luther King.

Either their supporters will see how farcical this whole movement is... or the rest of us will be forced to confront just how crazy people in this movement are. Either way, America wins. Beck just may, though completely by mistake, restore honor to this country... well, at least to the part of it that is short on honor, its Right fringe.

Posted by: orgbluspider | July 28, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

to mcdonalsherry, good for you being well read and balanced, but you probably missed the several shows where Glenn had the niece of MLK on to discuss race relations and the honor that Beck has for her uncle. I don't see where I resorted to name calling.

Posted by: Brian54 | July 28, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Name calling is a childish behavior. Children have to be taught to not to do that. It's obvious that the some of the "adults" commenting here haven't learned that either in school or from their parents. That's sad.

Posted by: mcdonalsherry | July 28, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

To Brian54: I read more than the Huffington Post. I've also watched Beck at times although I find it hard to because of the "tears". He may have not realized that he was scheduling this rally on the same day as "I Have a Dream Speech" but on learning that fact he could have changed it out of sensitivity. He didn't and that shows me that he his insensitive to how MLK's family might feel. I have no idea whether those on the Left of Right are more racist but I do know that from reading the comments here that those on the Right name calling and using the word towards the Left then the the Left is using towards the Right. If either side can only call each other names then both sides are ignorant - not stupid, not intelligent - just ignorant. Name calling is the last resort and to some you lose the argument.

Posted by: mcdonalsherry | July 28, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Who cares about the Brady Campaign, especially after the last Supreme Court gun rights ruling?

Posted by: johndinfidel | July 28, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

All of you who scream and hollor about Glenn Beck have never had an original thought of your own and are just repeating what you hear. Nor have you watched his program. If you did you would probably have a different opinion. This guy does enormous research and I for one, like information and more information to form my own opinions. You don't have to like the guy (who happens to be very entertaining),but stop to name-calling. You bring shame upon yourselves.

Posted by: boblee1 | July 28, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: boblee1 | July 28, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Beck-- ex morning zoo DJ, ex-shock jock, suffers from ADHD, ex- druggie, ex-alcoholic, ex-college student (dropped out of college after one course, one semester), made fun of a competitor's wife who had had a miscarriage by telephoning her live on-air while at Phoenix. Yeah, this guy has quite the resume.

Posted by: rtinindiana | July 28, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I just wish that those who are disparaging and actively rooting for this man to go blind would watch his program for a week. He is one of the most convincing presenters I have ever seen. Nothing he has presented on his show has been creditably contradicted by the Obama administration or other organizations he has exposed (Tides, Sorros, Carbon Exchange, SEIU, Acorn, etc. etc.)

I don't think it was intentional to schedule this event on the anniversary of Dr King's speech or not, but Mr Beck is a big fan of MLK and quotes him often, especially for the non-violent nature of his protests.

People who only read the huffpo and make judgments on those misrepresented in that esteemed rag are worse than ignorant.

Posted by: Brian54 | July 28, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Honor, shmonor. Ignatius J. Reilly says, "God and Commerce" . Ka-ching!

Posted by: johnharris1 | July 28, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

The Huffington Post. Isn't that the one Obama reccommened that you read, because your just getting too much information other places? Brady on MSNBC, are we supposed we are getting the truth from that network?
Stop posting blatant lies about Beck. He never said a bad word about King, and has his neice on all the time. He is for non-violence. Stop posting lies about the Tea Party. They are not racist. Glenn loves the USA and is non-partisan. He, like so many Americans fear Obama's agenda and vision for an America we don't recognize. Obama and his associates frighten a lot of ordinary Americans. Congress has an 11% approval rating. Why do you think that is? All one hears from the left is smears and lies.

Posted by: joanz3 | July 28, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who actually thinks Glenn Beck is someone to be taken seriously is pretty crazy their own self.

If Beck is really going blind....good...not that it would make a difference, he really can't see now anyway.

Posted by: mlrice710 | July 28, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mlrice710 | July 28, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I love it when the truth disturbs the Marxist/Progressive movement. Beck is the greatest thing to happen to this country since sliced bread and he and Limbaugh are providing truth to power. Fox news will never be dependent on socialist bailouts as the result of programming like Oberman and the tingle up my leg guy.

Posted by: dch2 | July 28, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

//////////////////////////////////////

I have to agree. And as far as the anti-gun folks go, I say that

anti-gun = anti-freedom

If those folks really want to save lives, they can work on curtailing abortion; that could save up to 1.5 MILLION lives per year.

Posted by: RealTexan1 | July 28, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dch2 | July 28, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Does eveyone know that Glenn Beck may be going blind? I am not so sure that having the rally on that date was such a good idea. But if he honors King on that day, which he should, it could be an opportunity to try to unite America. I think Glenn Beck is a hero. He and his family have had death threats, and he is attacked on all sides by the left. I would never have known about the socialist agenda as soon as I did if it were not for him.

Posted by: eaglesnest1 | July 28, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

So RCC thinks Beck and Palin represent the worst in America. Really? They love America first and foremost. Any objective thinking person can see that. As for "when did we lose our honor" by a poster. Where have you been for the last 50 years? We have politicians who will blatantly lie to the people, cut deals (I call in bribes) to pass a bill, pork deals all over the place. Just look at the lies Obama has told. Washington is full of liars and thieves. I wish I could be at the 8/28 rally with thousands of America loving people who want to see honor and integrity restored to our great country.

Posted by: Jackets | July 28, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Hey racerdoc...it is a typical response from morons who are brain dead and programmed by the left to shout "RACIST" whenever someone disagrees. Beck doesn't disasgree with Obama because he is black! He disagrees with Obama's politics, his Chicago style politics, and his complete disregard for our Constitution.
Second, is Martin Luther King's birthday a holy day that doesn't allow people to gather together? That seems to be your apparent opposition to the rally and sadly that is exactly opposite of what MLK stood for!!!! You really don't have any real argument so you shout "Racist"!!! What a freaking moron! Yes...I know! You think I'm a racist!!!

Posted by: brooklynborn1 | July 28, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

The problem with a politician like Brady is that , this guy was a good guy to begin with, but learned the ropes in the Democrat Party. Such people still think it's the age of Jimmy Carter, but they are very wrong.
Beck's hosting will attract both Whites and Blacks together; peacfully assemblying to celebrate Dr. King and his message. I think Dr King would'a been proud.
For once get off the Race thing and join with thedescendents of those white men who shed their blood in an enormous war that rescued the black family from slavery in its end.
Please do not call me a "Cracker", that is offensive and offensive to the memory of the man who stepped out of slavery into the harsh light of freedom.

Posted by: jackolantyrn356 | July 28, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Beck needs to add "reconciliation" to his agenda. Those, like me, who voted for Obama need to be forgiven for our stupidity. Millions of my Liberal colleagues feel the same but are reluctant to express it for fear that the die-hard leaders of the party will punish them. The last straw for me was when it came out that the media were being organized to cry racist whenever anyone reported on the Tea Party or Republicans. That sort of seditious behavior is unAmerican. Yes, we were duped but having gone through this scam, I think many of us, whether we call ourselves Independents or Liberals or Democrats, are smarter now and will not fall for this nonsense any longer. If it takes voting for Republicans or even Conservatives, I, like millions of my colleagues out there, will hold our noses and vote for the opposition. It won't be a Democrat or Republican vote but a vote for America.

Posted by: Narquan | July 28, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

I would like to see Beck et al include "reconciliation" in the agenda. Those like me and millions of others who were suckered into thinking Obama was right and Rev. Wright was wrong when he described his old pal as "just another politician," need to be forgiven for our stupidity. That some of us still think there's "hope" in this administration begins to move from loyalty to stupidity. The last straw for me was the organized media campaign to brand everything on the "other side" as racist. This word has lost its meaning as my fellow Liberals waste it in their propaganda.

Posted by: Narquan | July 28, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

When did the we lose our Honor?

Posted by: deidt | July 28, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

They say "there will be absolutely no politics involved". By having Palin it guarantees a highly political event. I will also bet her speech will be a highly political speech.

Beck and Palin represent the worst in America.

Posted by: rcc_2000 | July 28, 2010 7:18 AM | Report abuse

@cadam72, @whales60, @sassafrasnewport, @racerdoc: If you can't answer a man's arguments, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names, but please enlighten us instead. Tell us what you believe and why you believe it. We will all benefit from the knowing.

I'm agnostic and vehemently disagree with Beck about religion, which he seems to be emphasizing a great deal more in perhaps the last 18 months than ever before.

I believe that individual rights come from the natural fact that each person is a separate being who owns their own body, mind, and life. Self-Ownership. We don't need to agree about how that natural fact came into existence in order to benefit from following the ethical framework logically derived from it. Nor does anyone need to speak as if they actually UNDERSTAND the mystery of how this came to be. We use what we know of electricity, gravity, and other natural phenomena without deity-debate, and without fully understanding them. The same can be done with self-ownership and natural rights.

I'm going to the Restoring Honor rally because I believe in the ethical system to be celebrated there. I'll privately cringe at every prayer and god-personification, just as I do when I listen to Glenn's radio and TV shows. It may be a long afternoon, but I do look forward to learning more about how small a minority I am among Beck fans. I also expect it to be an inspiring warm-up for the 9/12 rally a couple of weeks later.

Posted by: FreeSmart | July 28, 2010 3:26 AM | Report abuse

It is unfortunate that Glenn Beck is honored by anyone. Regardless of political affiliation, he should be regarded as a self serving blow hard with little interest in furthering the interests of America. In the name of honor, he consistanly either lies, falsifies or is disengenuos about the truth, he bates people on race, immigration, healthcare, birther movement, taxes, social justice, etc. He is not an honorable man in any sense. There are many republicans I may not agree with, but as least know they are principled. He is not one of them and in watching his tv program, he shows that time after time. He is neither a serious, neutral, journalist nor a man of integrity.

Posted by: cadam72 | July 28, 2010 1:56 AM | Report abuse

I, for one, have no problems with this what so ever. I believe it was on Glen Beck's show that he said something about America as a whole should be able to be proud of what this one man accomplished, and that is very true. I think people need to stop trying to find fault in what everyone does.

Posted by: rd1313 | July 28, 2010 1:02 AM | Report abuse

I am honored that this rally is being held on my birthday. For any reasonable person, the idea of celebrating the honor and integrity of our country and its founders and celebrating the respect for the military are worthy ideals. For those who spend their time disparaging anything positive, you have my sympathy and my hope for your eventual acknowledgement that life in the US is valuable and important and the you have an opportunity to be a supporter rather than a detractor. For those who choose to be closed-minded and purpose to cause harm, know that this is to be a peaceful rally and you have a strong group of peaceful people who want nothing more than to be united on that day and not to allow the detractors to divide. Pray for peace on August 28.

Posted by: ticklenana | July 27, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

I love how uncomfortable you dems are regarding Beck and Palin! What a threat they are to the dems. LOL Great to see!
I too own many guns! Love Beck and NRA!
But more important I love my country! Served in Nam 1969-71 and lost a brother by a different mother there in 1970. So dems kiss my assssssss and enjoy the next 97 days. Pissssssss on all of you whinners!!

Posted by: usmc1969 | July 27, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

I too own many guns! Love Beck and NRA!

Posted by: usmc1969 | July 27, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

The reason Beck is such a moron comes from his childhood.Between the drugs and the religion he is one messed up nut case.

Posted by: whales60 | July 27, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

I think he should take his show to Alaska, where he may be more welcome. Stay out of DC where you're not.

Posted by: sassafrasnewport | July 27, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

good for Beck to stand up against the liberal racist boobs.

Posted by: SW-NDN | July 27, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

People just need to listen to the man without slamming him.

Read his books, WATCH the show instead of just using media bites, or check out the 'Conservative Quoter' android app for some real gems of wisdom

Posted by: jasonKel | July 27, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Sure why not hold a rally sponsored by the NRA and held by Racist Tea Party members with the major speaker Beck who regularly makes nasty remarks about the black president and his black family desecrate the honor of the Great Martin Luther King - a man killed by racists with GUNS.

how much more fitting of a rally could BECK and his tribe hold.

TALK ABOUT INSENSITIVE BOOBS

Posted by: racerdoc | July 27, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm starting a collection to pay their limo driver to "break down" somewhere in Ward 8.

Posted by: nonsensical2001 | July 27, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse