Barney Frank talks 'bundling' on Colbert Report

Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) made the case for a Consumer Financial Protection Agency on the "Colbert Report" Tuesday night.

"If the Founding Fathers were really worried about mortgage bundling or ATM fees wouldn't they have said so in the Constitution?" asked "Colbert Report" host Stephen Colbert asked.

"The Founding Fathers talked about bundling, but they meant something a little more sexual when they talked about bundling," Frank responded. (Bundling is both a way of combining small donations and a colonial courtship practice in which a man and a woman, usually wearing clothes, slept in the same bed.)

By Rachel Weiner  |  August 4, 2010; 10:16 AM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency , Democratic Party
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama freezes bonuses to federal appointees
Next: Obama dines with Oprah & Gayle

Comments

ps

more to the point

bush administation,before housing debacle,sought franks support for tightening mortgage reqiurement by fannie mae.

they were rebuffed,frank opining it was more important for everyone to achieve american dream of owning home than financial prudence.

altho many jumped on no-equity mortgages band wagon,frank made it possible

Posted by: md36131 | August 5, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

an irrelevant historical note about colonial bundling.

winter wooing,without central heating, can discourage the most ardent.

climbing into a special bundling bed,fully clothed under the covers,was devised.

a bundling board,kind of a chastity belt,was included;this piece of wood ran the mid-length of the bed,hinged at the top. it was pulled down and secured at the foot of the bed when occupied.

but,when affianced,the board would be swung up and away.

dont know what they did in summertime.

Posted by: md36131 | August 5, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Barney Frank is a corrupt and pathetic man who has overstayed his welcome in Congress. He is responsible for the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac debacle, which caused all our 401K's to be worth 40% less in 2008. Thanks Barney, now go home.

Posted by: joanz3 | August 5, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Frank is a great dead-pan artist and he knows the kind of show this is. So Tom Miltz, lighten up! The message was not lost on me or his audience I'm sure.

Elizabeth Warren fought to include this commision in the finacial reform bill and should be its first chair. This appointment could shape the entire direction of financial regulation for years to come.

This is a COMEDY show, remember? And it does a valuable service to inform those who do not sit through the Sunday talk shows.

Posted by: libertyanne | August 5, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: libertyanne | August 5, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: libertyanne | August 5, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I'd say on this episode ?

I regret what Stephen is doing for points.

Barney comes with a tag that can't be priced.

I'm not sure what Stephen was after.

I may decide to just forfeit pop politics from his show and never tune in again.

It's the writers anyway.

In fact?

I think I've had my fill of Colbert's parasitic co-dependency on others to make his mill- taking a note from reactive Coulter - it's about the same.

I'd like to see Colbert to invite himself as a guest and disrespect them.

Bye Bye Stephen.

Barney Frank is REAL

You have a TV show.

Frank is there to stand up and fight for what is right for the people.

MAYBE YOU DO TO Stephen

but you sure have one helluva way of showing it.

Tim Miltz

Posted by: NationalismDividesHumanity | August 5, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

To No-bama

Had Bush taken control of F&F September 11th - 2003 that is.

To which Barney Frank STOPPED ?

I think we'd be in a different conundrum

I enjoy the Colbert Report- but I often am left in deficit when Colbert brings on high caliber guests - and runs his intellectual tirades - SURE Stephen is intelligent - but sometimes ? He misses opportunity - and he missed opportunity with Barney.

I think Frank's last expression as I read it summed it up - "I wish I wouldn't have wasted my time here."

There exists a more rewarding dialogue than Colbert explored - it's getting old for me with Stephen- one on one that is - he DOES serve a purpose - and I very much enjoy his political satire when placed on the mantel for all to gaze at !

Colbert missed the mark with Barney.

Fannie and Freddie wasn't the problem.

Goldman who took ZERO equity mortgage products from Washington Mutual- Country Wide - escalated the housing bubble. WaMu died - largest bank failure in US history. Strange how WaMu brokers would say to Goldman "You SURE you want NO PROOF IF INCOME - Zero equity loans ? no credit check" ?

Goldman said - keep em coming.

WaMu lost their entire FFIEC institution on this.

Goldman - former CEO Paulson was there in a 48 hour period to say- I need 700 billion or US economy goes bust - and the nation state is no more.

Now - if you want to attack Barney ? on this ?

Go right ahead- you're missing the mark.

Goldman is the culprit here- LEGAL ? maybe - RIGHT ? hell no.

If I know Barney- and I do and I don't ?

He walked away with a humble - "waste of time" - showing up.

Colbert was seeking satire

Had Frank appeared on Fox ? I'm sure it would have been a blood sport.

Barney's alright in my book -

Had Bush taken F&F

And further ? privatized Social Security as he wanted ?

Just imagine what the scenario would look like for senior citizens waking up to see their private accounts managed by Goldman and Chase- after the economy crashed.

We'd not be facing foreclosures out of control -we'd be facing FORECLOSURES ON MATTERS OF LIFE for the elderly.

And you can take THAT

ALL the way to the Bank of America Merrill Lynch !

Tim Miltz

Hi Barney ! I know you're FOR the people- great work - MIGHT be soon time to retire ! At least you can look back with integrity.

Bush can't.

And yet ? YOU get pegged on F&F.

Fortunately intelligence has a way of surfacing long term amidst short term ignorance.

Posted by: NationalismDividesHumanity | August 5, 2010 5:32 AM | Report abuse

Hahahahahahahahahahahaheeheeheeheehee!

Posted by: meand2 | August 4, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

It's Frank, moron.

Posted by: jckdoors | August 4, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Barney Franks = Criminal Moron!

Posted by: NO-bama | August 4, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse