Major Garrett leaving Fox News for National Journal

Fox News' White House correspondent Major Garrett is leaving after eight years to join National Journal as a congressional reporter. The network's two other White House reporters, Wendell Goler and Mike Emanuel, will take Fox News' recently-acquired front-row seat.

The full press release:

FOX News' Chief White House correspondent Major Garrett announced today that he will leave the network effective September 3rd to return to his roots in print journalism. White House correspondents Wendell Goler and Mike Emanuel will assume joint coverage of the beat.
In making the announcement, Garrett said, "Slightly more than eight years ago, [FOX News Chairman & CEO] Roger Ailes, [former FOX News Executive Vice President] John Moody and [former FOX News Washington Managing Editor and current Senior Political Analyst] Brit Hume created a full-time reporting position for me in the Washington bureau. Our new Senior Vice President of News, Michael Clemente, has continued that support. Since August of 2002, the network and its top executives have given me every opportunity a journalist could hope for. I thank the network for giving me the chance to grow as a reporter and broadcaster."
Garrett continued, "Throughout my television career, I've known with certainty I would someday return to my roots in print journalism. That day has come. I will soon announce an exciting new phase of my career -- one made possible in no small part by FOX News' consistent support. It would take a lot - something near perfection - to lure me away from the best job I've ever had. Details to come."
Garrett further remarked, "I will miss many dear FOX News journalists, colleagues and friends. I wish all of them success. I look forward to discussing my future work on FOX News - keeping in touch with an audience I've come to know and cherish. Before I leave FOX News, I would like to say a heartfelt thank you to each and every viewer who extended to me their generous good wishes, support and encouragement."
Michael Clemente, Senior Vice President of News Editorial for FOX News added, "There are reporters and then there are truly tenacious reporters who come along every so often. Major Garrett is a fact-finding machine, and wherever he goes he will continue to serve an audience that is thirsting for genuine reporting and balance. We wish him the best as he turns this page."
Joining FOX News from CNN in 2002, Garrett served as the network's chief White House correspondent since January 2009. Prior to that, he held the position of congressional correspondent reporting on House and Senate races and providing extensive coverage of the 2004 and 2008 presidential elections. Before embarking on a television career, Garrett spent seven years at the Washington Times as its congressional reporter and later a deputy national editor.

By Rachel Weiner  |  August 25, 2010; 12:11 PM ET
Categories:  2010 Election , 44 The Obama Presidency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McCain gets attacked on primary day
Next: Ad of the day: Ron Klein comes out swinging

Comments

Good Luck to you Major Garrett.
Wendell and Mike--keep up the pressure.

Posted by: eadieg08 | August 25, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Good Luck to you Major Garrett.
Wendell and Mike--keep up the pressure.

Posted by: eadieg08 | August 25, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Good Luck to you Major Garrett.
Wendell and Mike--keep up the pressure.

Posted by: eadieg08 | August 25, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Major Garrett ---so terrific in all aspects of reporting .I will miss his Fair and Honest reporting on Fox.Good luck to Wendell and Mike. Ask the tough questions and don't take NO for an answer!!!!

Posted by: eadieg08 | August 25, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

His conscience finally caught up with him and he moved to a credible journalism gig. I am sure that he could no longer abide by the dishonest and repugnant talking heads at Fox.

Posted by: cadam72 | August 25, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

In the coffee klatsch that passes as the WH daily press briefing, Major has stood out as the one willing to ask tough questions and pursue real answers.
With news of his departure, Robert Gibbs is no doubt breathing a sigh of relief, and the other network patsies, er correspondents, can now drink their coffee in peace.
Good luck, Major, and thanks for the professional journalism. It will be missed.

Posted by: mtpeaks | August 25, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Ha, Major Garrett. Major Tool is more like it. Probably one of the least hateful people at Fox News, but nonetheless, a tool. If only Fox News itself could go away, the world would be a slightly better place.

Posted by: fbutler1 | August 25, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Did the Major get promoted to Lt. Col?

Posted by: Garak | August 25, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Thing is... most of the reporters for Fox know what Fox is doing. It
is a job, a salt mine job and eventually you work yourself into a respectable job.

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld1 | August 25, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

PDXGEEK - you are a sorry individual. Grow Up!

From my husband in the Armed forces in Afghanistan and from my whole family..."Fair weather and following Seas" We will miss your honest reporting and challenging questioning that befits real journalism and not the dishonest "make a believe" reporting, as reported by the MSM. Farewell Garrett!

Posted by: minuramsey | August 25, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

buh-bye. Don't let the door hit you on the @ss on the way out.

Posted by: pdxgeek | August 25, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse