Nancy Pelosi: Who's funding the mosque opposition?

Credit: AP Photo/Louie Traub

Update: 12:25p.m. ET

The Post's Greg Sargent reports that Speaker Pelosi's office has issued a statement, clarifying her earlier remarks to a local California radio station. "I support the statement made by the Interfaith Alliance that 'We agree with the ADL that there is a need for transparency about who is funding the effort to build this Islamic center," the statement reads, "At the same time, we should also ask who is funding the attacks against the construction of the center.'

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi weighed in on the New York City mosque debate, answering questions posed by local California radio station KCBS.

The recording starts with Pelosi saying, "Speaking of urban development in my district, I have an opinion on almost every subject, but in New York, I'm sure the New Yorkers would like to make their own urban development decisions themselves."

The New York Daily News reports that Pelosi is one of few House Democrats to chime in on a debate that centers around the construction of an Islamic cultural center blocks away from the World Trade Center site. On Monday, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, who is in a tight race with Republican Sharron Angle in Nevada, split with the president, calling for the mosque to be built 'someplace else.'

But Pelosi did more than pick a side, she also took an opportunity to question the motives of those who opposed the mosque, "There is no question that there is a concerted effort to make this a political issue by some," said Pelosi, "and I join those who have called for looking into how is this opposition to the mosque being funded? How is this being ginned up?" The Speaker went on to mention the transfer of Treasure Island, a man-made island, from the Navy to the city of San Francisco, "Here we are talking about Treasure Island," said Pelosi, "and two of the first three questions are about a zoning issue in New York City."

Listen to the full recording from KCBS.

Related Links:
Poll: Majority of N.Y. voters oppose mosque
Your Take: Do you approve of the construction of a mosque near Ground Zero?
Photos: The New York City mosque site
Mosque developers deny meeting with N.Y. gov.

By Emi Kolawole  |  August 18, 2010; 11:15 AM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama calls on GOP to help small business
Next: 19th amendment anniversary: Politicians celebrate

Comments

Yes, the speaker of the house yet again puts her stupidity on display for all to marvel at. Only after she said what she meant did she cover her tracks with a worthless statement about whos is funding the mosque (a promise to investigate she will never keep). Almost as good as we have to pass the bill to know what is in the bill ... priceless stupidity.

Posted by: pielusztcontractor | August 23, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Nancy. The ONLY Democrat who'll take a stand while the rest are cowering behind the corner.

While everyone grieves and remembers 9/11 victims, it's good to also remember that thousands of civilians are dying daily in Afghanistan thanks to the carelessness of U.S. operations there, as we learned from WikiLeaks. Where's the anger over this? Where's the picketing? Should we ban that American Mega Embassy to be build there in memory of the daily victims?

Oh, I forgot. They don't matter because they're brown.

Posted by: titidelagato | August 22, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Pelosi is an old, rich Soviet-style politboro communist from San Francisco. The U.S. needs to change direction in November or prepare for far worse times than Pelosi has already delivered.
November is crucial - change diresction or stop complaining as the economy crumbles....

Posted by: lclifton | August 21, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Pelosi, Reid and Obama have led a conquest against taxpayers. They have stile the country blind and passed policy after policy aimed at creating a Soviet-style economy that puts an expended central government in charge of everything.
The Democrats are bringing it all down. Question is, are their enough Americans left to clean up their mess this time?

Posted by: lclifton | August 21, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Pelosi called it a "New York zoning issue". I suppose 9/11 was just a New York zoning issue too. Radical Muslim terrorist were just rezoning the location at Liberty St & Church St. The supporters of the mosque should be the ones investigated. Investigated for terrorism ties.

Posted by: JackHarkness | August 20, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

There's no reasoning with people such as Brickerd because he/she are too consumed with their hateful radical far left liberal views. Their extreme hatred toward conservatives and independents and their ignorance that stems from their Liberal views prevents them from seeing the truth.

Keep in mind that:

ALL Liberals have selective memory and tunnel vision.

ALL Liberals are proven liars and/or hypocrites.

All Liberals are anti American and they sympathize with mass murdering terrorist and All Libewrals believe that we deserved 911. It's a known fact that Liberals cheered while innocent Americans died on 911.

Also keep in mind that ALL Liberals are Godless atheists that hates Jews and Christianity with a pasion.... yet they sympatize and defends Muslism.

Liberals will always side with Al qaeda, the Taliban and all the Muslim ilk that is associated with them because ALL Liberals are just as barbaric and uncivilized as their terrorist allies.

Ever noticed that ALL Tea Party rallies and demonstrationa are always peaceful and civilized in contrast to the majority of the Liberals' demonstrations that break outs into violent riots?

Posted by: markfornale | August 20, 2010 4:42 AM | Report abuse

I really should apologize for subjecting the people who are commenting on this article about the worst Speaker in our Country's' history but I detest her so much that when I even see a photo of her I feel nauseous and want to vomit so I consider this therapy, you know the venting part. I do feel somewhat better now though.

Posted by: gspeye | August 19, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I think you could have a more rational, intelligent and worthwhile conversation with an inanimate object, (like a rock) then you could with Madam Speaker.

Is that statement a personal attack or the truth? Just trying to be fair and balanced and let you decide.

Posted by: gspeye | August 19, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Ms Pelosi should be concentrating on draining the swamp instead of something that she has no business commenting on but it's hard to drain the swamp when the biggest reptile, (who is in charge) is sitting on the plug!

Posted by: gspeye | August 19, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gspeye | August 19, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

I think the press actually thinks Princess Nancy's opinions matter! She not only lost credibility with me but the Nation with her Astroturf accusations and her lying about the CIA briefing on water-boarding, (of what she knew and when she knew it) which incidentally was hushed up by the press and her colleges in Congress once she finally refused to discuss it. She is a National Joke albeit a sad one.

Posted by: gspeye | August 19, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Pelosi, keep your statist agenda away from religion.

Posted by: cprferry | August 19, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

And i do not expect from majority to tolerate my grammer...Like in all lands the majority
rules but not correctly ; Its all about comunication with open mind and hearth!

Posted by: sueloo | August 19, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

To prefer to be a modern Justice State or as always been `majority rules and ---- happens...That s the question.We have no differences then any other animals on this planet if we nog get our collectieve knowlodge and mind straight!!!

Posted by: sueloo | August 19, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

To prefer to be a modern Justice State or as always been `majority rules and ---- happens...That s the question.We have no differences then any other animal on this planet if we nog get our collectieve knowlodge and mind straight!!!

Posted by: sueloo | August 19, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

This is my first entree of US media and I wasn`t expecting any less or more intelligence then rest of the world...For the ones who has objection to this mosk i just remember Hitler`s people was also democratic choosen...GErmany failed at that time by choosing democracy above Justice state...
TAlking above justice state...That does not exist 100 %...I believe we are beeing screwed since French REvolution...I wonder if there is any American Wondering wht did not Tthe Russians land on moon after all failed attempts...IT is not conspiracy but Collectieve unconscios greed that rule the world since French Revolution...The dark wil win when humanity gets more greedy and unconscios and rich will manipulate till end.

Posted by: sueloo | August 19, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Nancy, Please go home & get a REAL job. You are an embarrassment to the House & the American people!

Posted by: biestsr2 | August 19, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

on 9/11 islam killed 3000 people. and spent the next week danceing in the street. i gess plosi and obama wants to have another dance party.

Posted by: tlcokeley | August 19, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Nancy Pelosi is an idiot.

Posted by: Rotbart | August 19, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Well at least there is one consistancy in our Gov't ... we can depend on Nancy to redifine and demonstrate ... STUPID!

Posted by: NeoConVeteran | August 19, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Dear Speaker Pelosi,

Since I may be one of your new colleagues after November 2nd, I thought I'd help you out ahead of time and give you this thoroughly researched report on how the protest to the insensitive mosque location is being funded:

1. The main conclusion of our extensive investigation is that despite your efforts and those of your Democratic legislative colleagues to tax New Yorkers into oblivion, New Yorkers have somehow managed to scrape together enough untaxed dollars to buy $2.25 Metrocards and overpriced Long Island Rail Road and Metro North tickets to attend the protest rallies.

2. The opposition has also been fueled by numerous 44 cent payments to the US post office's debt reduction fund, which have been used to write letters to constituent-deaf congresspersons.

3. The protesters have also suddenly started paying their electric bills in order to post blogs on the Internet.

Now that the investigation of the protesters is complete . . . . how about that investigation of how the mosque is funded?

See you in January.

Best regards,
Liz Berney, Esq.

LizBerneyforCongress.com
LizBerneyforCongress@gmail.com

Posted by: LizBerneyforCongress | August 19, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I think a better question would be, "Who's funding the mosque?" No one is questioning their right to build, but rather their motives.

Posted by: Lilycat11 | August 19, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

An earlier comment mentioned Columbine High School. It brought back the memory of how offensive it was for the National Rifle Association to hold a meeting right after that incident, and right after another school shooting. But,,,they have the Constitutional right to assemble, to speak freely, and they did....even though feelings were raw and very bitter. Our government did not prohibit their assembly, even though the public was outraged at their behavior.

I'm afraid we do have a right to our feelings,,,but that's all we have a right to. The mosque will be built.

As for Nancy Pelosi's remark, its unfounded as usual. Americans are outraged, regardless of political affiliation, and nobody is paying us to feel this way.

Posted by: AnnsThought | August 19, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

It would be nice if all elected officials would do the job they were elected to do and quit throw gas on everything to make smoke to cover the fact they are doing nothing...

Posted by: theoldmansays | August 19, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

It's as if the country is being run by The Three Stooges, a.k.a. Obama, Pelosi, and Reid...one big difference... O,P, and R have a lot of power, thanks to the stooges who put them in office.

Posted by: jobro2 | August 19, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I nice would be nice if all elected officials would do the job they were elected to do and quit throw gas on everything to make smoke to cover to fact they are doing nothing...

Posted by: theoldmansays | August 19, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

so you would prevent the parents of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold to place flowers at Columbine or Timothy Mc Veigh's family from contributing to a monument near the OK City Federal building??

Way to go you bunch of intolerant ignorants! Lump everybody- innocent and guilty together! the world has suddenly become a much smaller place, surrounded by enemies!!!!!!

Posted by: anglawa | August 19, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Hey Nancy, I'm against the mosque--investigate this, you Botoxed b-tch 8=====> How's that for elevating the level of discourse?

Posted by: kbarker302 | August 19, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Well, if Nancy Pelosi says it, there must be something to it.

Can't wait for the months and months of mealy-mouthed retractions, retreats, lies and denial of responsibility.

Worst Speaker ever. (Or at least for as long as I can remember.)

Posted by: andrew23boyle | August 19, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Pray that our president and VP encounter no harm. This woman is second in line to be president. When she opens her mouth, I wonder why people are so critical of Sarah Palin, who makes 1000 times more sense than this dingbat.

Posted by: petespagnuolo | August 19, 2010 6:29 AM | Report abuse

Why did Pelosi ask how the mosque opposition is being funded?

Congress provides money to fund project so, naturally, if there is something that the democrats don’t agree with, they naturally focus on funding because they use funding as a means to support (via pork) those that agree with them (i.e. provided campaign contributions) and to silence the opposition.

In short, Pelosi uses government money to support the democrats and to squash opposition.

Posted by: ahashburn | August 19, 2010 6:25 AM | Report abuse

If given th epower, the Dems would start rounding up th enewspaper writers, bloogers, and TV personalities that continue to speak about Obama's support for the mosque at Ground Zero.

Criticizing Dear Leader wi NOT acceptable to the Dems and any that do MUST be punished

Posted by: Realist201 | August 19, 2010 6:11 AM | Report abuse

It appears that under Obana/Pelosi/Reid that is you exercise your 1st Amendment right to speak out on an issue, the government may investigate you.

All the more reason to get Democrats out of government why we still have a constitution that means something.

Posted by: ahashburn | August 19, 2010 6:10 AM | Report abuse

flintston comments, "you can start your investigations with me."

Oh no, you don't! I am first. I am a red skinned girl, a minority member and a girl. I get to go first. I want my Obama minority entitlement! I get to have first shot at that botox frozen mannequin, that walking cadaver we call Nancy Pelosi.

I will be sensitive to your feelings, though, as left liberal jihadists would have me. I will only scalp Pelosi, you have can have what is left, which is not much more than an old bag of mule manure.

Investigate me first! I am a bigot, I love America!

...and Pelosi, you best bring General Custer and his cavalry along, you know how we un-American injuns get when on the warpath.

Okpulot Taha
Choctaw Nation

Posted by: PurlGurl | August 19, 2010 5:18 AM | Report abuse

I am stunned by how easily and how quickly we have lost our America to Obama with his election.

Obama is working at subjecting America to Islam and sharia law, and if we speak up in opposition, we will be hauled in for a Pelosi investigation.

How did this happen? How did we lose our grip on our nation and our freedoms? This makes no sense, this is shocking. We elect Obama and America is lost. I simply must be asleep, this must be a nightmare.

I speak my thoughts, I exercise my right to free speech and suddenly I find myself being investigated by our federal government. My presumption is this investigation will lead to criminal prosecution and imprisonment, for what crime, I do not know.

Why are we Americans allowing Obama and Pelosi to threaten us with investigation for our exercising our right to free speech?

This is an event I would only expect to see happen choreographed to background sounds of goose stepping glossy black jack boots.

What have we done? Our America is now Nazi Germany circa 1930 - 1940. I suppose next Obama and Pelosi will have us sewing a Star of David on each of our lapels.

We Americans can no longer speak freely without threat of federal government investigation into our words.

This is a nightmare, this must be a nightmare. I must wake up, this cannot be real. This cannot be the America I so love.

Okpulot Taha
Choctaw Nation

Posted by: PurlGurl | August 19, 2010 4:56 AM | Report abuse

Pelosi - Jihad Democrat - Finds 9/11 Mosque in keeping with her Agenda! Hey, Pelosi, come November, don't worry, you'll be Toast anyway! Did you hear about the new building near Mecca, it's going to be a Synagogue! One hand washes the other with Pelosi, right?

Posted by: allforher58 | August 19, 2010 1:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: allforher58 | August 19, 2010 1:51 AM | Report abuse

grubbsbl ~ the FIRST AMENDMENT denotes quite an array of RIGHTS retained by the people and denied the government.

First off, there's the business about religious freedom, and then speech, and then the press (we could call that advanced technology communication couldn't we), and then lobbying.

The basic idea is not that you can just go off willy nilly and do your religious thing and everybody has to shut up ~ rather, you can have your beliefs, and I can have mine, and if I don't like your beliefs I can voice my displeasure.

One of the biggest problems with Islam is that its adherents don't like to subject it to critical analysis ~ in fact, in most of the Moslem world such analysis could get you a stay in prison, or EVEN DEATH.

If Islam is to have a fighting chance to remain a world religion in the future, its adherents are going to have to learn to stand up to critical analysis and what better place than the United States to do that.

At the moment, in the subject case, we have some Moslems trying to tear down the last major building hit in the 9/11 attack (it's part of Ground Zero folks, not just "near" GZ but the real deal).

Following that they intend to build a structure that will house all sorts of things ~ access to which will be totally controlled by Moslems

It's not an open forum in there folks. They don't want critical analysis although they need it badly.

They are not standing up to it too well even though they've been caught trying to build a mosque in what amounts to a gravesite ~ so typical of them to try to claim victim status when caught too ~

Posted by: muawiyah | August 19, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

You do realize that the Bill of Rights and the Constitution were designed to protect minorities from tyranny of the majority?

This was Madison's because fear, and his solution (Constitution and Bill of Rights) was his greatest contribution to political theory. For more, see John Stuart Mill or Alexis De Toquvellie. Just because a majority are against the mosque doesn't make it right. Our country has a long history of majority tyranny. Please, learn about it.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 18, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Please, Please! PLEASE!!! Is there anyone who can give "Mrs. Pelosi" a clue to her being out of touch? No one would expect her to understand "respect," courtesy, or being appropriate, but someone needs to help her understand she is "out of order," out place and nearly out of time!

Posted by: davidwe9 | August 18, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Pelosi does give reason to comparing her type of government to one in Germany during the 1930's! Is she going to investigate the majority of New Yorkers who do not want a mosque two blocks from ground zero? Will she first investigate Harry Reid, or will it be Dr. Howard Dean?

Obama and Pelosi both look like foolish little children. SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE?? Dems, if you have a prayer in 2012, get a new leader ............... QUICK!! She is just about as self absorbed as Obama -- and that folks is saying something!

Posted by: wheeljc | August 18, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Pelosi, like Obama, will always defend anything the patriotic people of the USA are against. She now wants to investigate the widows, widowers, and children of 9/11 victims because they are opposed to a mosque being built near the site where their loved ones were killed by Muslims.

All the construction workers in America should refuse to work on another mosque being built in this country.

I personally do not think Islam should be considered a religion and protected as true religions are. Islam is a military, political, and legal system with religion used as a means to dominate and control people. We wouldn't allow a group doing human sacrifices to stay in the USA. If the Nazis had called their movement a religion, would we have allowed them to stay and grow in this country. Islam is no different. It's Quran openly tells the Muslims to destroy all infidels and non-believers. Sharia law is practiced in many Muslim countries and it calls for stoning a girl that has been in the company of a boy that is not a relative or if she has had an affair. Under Sharia law, a woman must have four male witnesses to claim rape. She is more or less considered the property of her husband. If a 14 year old boy steals from a store the penalty is to sever his right hand. Islam is a primitive, cruel, oppressive religion seeking world domination and control. It does not belong in the USA. If we allow it to stay and prosper, we will have the same problems as England, France, and Holland have. England even allows some practice of Sharia law in Muslim areas. Being politically correct in this instance will mean violence and destruction in the future, in this country. There are no peaceful Islamic countries in the Middle East. They bring constant terrorism and brutality. The problem is Americans have become too politically correct for their own children's safety and future.

Posted by: good_angel | August 18, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Progressive Democrats friends of Islam since September 11, 2001

Posted by: PennyWisetheClown | August 18, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey Nazi Pelosi,

Investigate this!!!

{{{MIDDLE FINGER RAISED}}}

Posted by: ugottabkiddin | August 18, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Please California, get this dingbat Pelosi out of office. We'll take care of voting out the rest of the democrappers.

Posted by: mightyheidi | August 18, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

I get nauseous just looking and listening to her.

Posted by: chnj | August 18, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

It's time to send Nancy Pelosi back to California! Enough already! Vote everyone in power, out of political office. Outsource Congressional jobs to Manilla, like Aetna Insurannce has. Perhaps we can outsource the Aetna CEO position to someone in Manilla. Wake up Americans!!! Establish Monetary, fiscal, and government policy conducive to bringing back manufacturing, technology, and service jobs to America. We can be the Great nation we once were, if we had HONEST Leadership!!! America & Americans before Globalization! Keep "Washington" out of NYC. Get Pelosi out of Washington! WE NEED REAL CHANGE!!!!!! We don't need elitist, empty suits and empty dresses. WAKE UP AMERICA!

Posted by: chnj | August 18, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

it really amazes me that democrats do not listen to the people .we do not want the mosque in the wtc site.i guess it would be alright to build a japanese temple on top of the uss arizona just to appease the japanese.how much longer do we have to put up with politicians that only want to make headlines just before election time.the people vote against gay marriages and the a federal judge turns around and throws the law out the window.but then again it is california.

Posted by: SISSD1 | August 18, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Nancy,what country do you think we live in?
We are AMERICANS and do not take kindly to intimidation from our (elected) officials.
For your information it does not require funds for Americans to speak their mind. It does take funds to build a Mosque.

Posted by: LaVallette | August 18, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Who FUNDING the opposition?

Pelosi dropped to much acid, back in her Haight Ashbury days!

Posted by: theaz | August 18, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Pelosi has been for a long time a vocal supporter of the seperation of church and state, and seems to be following that idea here. But I have to wonder why, not long ago she gave a speech to a gathering of Catholic leaders, and at that meeting she issued a call for them to tell their congregations that they would be UnChristian and UnCatholic, if they did not actively work in support of legalizing illega immigrants?

Posted by: jonweiss1 | August 18, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

The American people would like to know who is really behind the funding of the mosque. Furthermore, if Nancy Pelosi says it is a local issue, why does she want an investigation of who is funding the opposition to the mosque being built? Furthermore, if you would study history you would learn Muslims build mosques on sites of their great military victories to celebrate the triumph over their enemies. This is exactly how the earliest Muslim monument, The Dome of the Rock, was built in Jerusalem on the site of the Second Temple, which was destroyed in 70 CE. Yes, the Muslims have the right to exercise their freedom of religion but it is absolutely a slap in the face to the victims of 911. The American people have spoken and they do not want this mosque to be built where it is being built and the fact it is being dedicated on the anniversary of 911 says a lot about the intent. Furthermore, while tolerance and religious freedom is being proclaimed by Mayor Bloomberg and President Obama and you, where is the tolerance of our freedom to express our Judeo-Christian heritage our nation was founded on? Like all the other issues in America Washington is NOT listening. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW-iM1QmDKU

Posted by: angel0ffaith | August 18, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

WE all knew Pelosi was due for the dumb broad moment and would say something outrageous that would greatly help the GOP but this is priceless - she now wants to invetigate anyone that diagrees with Obama about the Mosque......this makes Nixon's enemy list look nothing. I guess she thinks we all live in Iran or the old Soviet Union. This also makes clear that Pelosi and the Democrats only support freedom of chice and speech as long as it is inagrement with their socialist agenda, otherwise they want it stamped out immediately......just like th emullahs do in Iran!

Posted by: Realist201 | August 18, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Ah - Nancy - the gift that keeps on giving - please keep talking?

Posted by: short1
===========================================
Yes, she keeps on giving,

Something like an incurable STD.

Posted by: jonweiss1 | August 18, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Nancy even though you may not like it. The Bill of Rights gives the people the right to petition the Government.

Nancy the Bill of Rights also stands against you and the activities you are advocating in coming against the people when they do not agree with you and yours.

Nancy you might want to read Amendment I and Amendment IV of The Bill of Rights. There are several other Amendments in the Bill of Rights you really should read.

Posted by: Montana_Miles | August 18, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

3) This is New York's decision, not America's.

Now kindly shut up.

Posted by: brickerd | August 18, 2010 1:38 PM
========================

Brickerd,

I suppose you will agree that, if an attack on NYC were to be planned in this building, which has no real need to be there (it is not a residential area and there are plenty of other Mosques in the vicinity) that too will be NYCs problem.

So when another building in lower Manhattan bites the dust, the rest of us can stand back and say....Tough s#!+, is that your position? Or if an attack were planned in this building and carried out in a neighboring state, that too would only be NYC's business.

Sorry, but I don't think so, Radical Islamists attacked my country (NYC still is part of the U.S. I beleive), and radical islamists bear watching. No matter how benevolent they appear day to day.

Perhaps you would feel comfortable living next door to a Japanese family who's male members conducted sword practice in their yard, screaming "Banzai" every few minutes and hanging "Code of Bushido" literature around the neigborhod?

Or, how about a family that played "Deutchland Uber Alles" every morning and evening and hung Swastikas on their house, you'd be O.K. with that as well, right?

After all we must be tolerant.

Posted by: jonweiss1 | August 18, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Ah - Nancy - the gift that keeps on giving - please keep talking?

"At the same time, we should also ask who is funding the attacks against the construction of the center,'" she said."

Funding the attacks on the mosque???? It appears to be the free press covering the story based on voter outrage?......

Posted by: short1 | August 18, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

"Why don't we ask her what happened to the $72 Billion that is missing from the Federal Budget since Obama became EL Presidente? Is this more earmarks for DemocRAT slush fund money?"

CA-CHING ... $4 Billion a week going down a toilet in cheney/bush's war in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Posted by: knjincvc
====*====*====*====*====*====*====*====*

Everytime you dummercrats and liberals are asked to give an accounting you raise the Bush and waive it around as some kind of defense for being stupid. I didn't support Bush and I don't support dumb politics in this country!

During the Bush administration, his national deficit figures was $468 billion in one year, compared to Obummer's national deficit of 1.3 Trillion dollars which has grown to 3.7 Trillion in 18 months, with an unemployment record of 9.7% (17% national unemployment raw figures)

It still doesn't answer the question as to what happened to the $72 Billion dollars which has gone missing since he took office and has enjoyed no less than 4 vacations at tax payer expense. Michelle dropped $375,000.00 with her vacation to Spain most recently.

Paying for an unwanted war isn't quite the same as embezzlement, gross incompetence, and malfeasance under Obummer!

Posted by: Jordan48 | August 18, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

It's just another intimidation tactic by Pelosi to silence the opposition. She can intimidate her fellow Democratic legislators but she's on the losing side if she wants to silence "we the people."

If the Muslims have first amendment (freedom of religion) rights, so do those who oppose the mosque building site have first amendment (freedom of speech) rights.

And if she wants to investigate those who oppose the Mosque being built at Ground Zero, then I suggest she start with Harry Reid.

Posted by: janet8 | August 18, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: knjincvc | August 18, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: trippin1 | August 18, 2010 12:12 PM
"Isn't the real question, who's funding the mosque? If it's the Saudis, wouldn't it be reasonable to ask them not to imprison Christian minorities?"

Why? Christian minorities are the radicals in Saudi Arabia.

Posted by: knjincvc | August 18, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jordan48 | August 18, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

The better Question! Who's funding the mosque?

Posted by: phines1 | August 18, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Gotta hand it to Fox News -- and whoever is funding the propaganda machine in general and the overblown mosque issue in particular -- they know how to tell lies effectively to get people really really steamed up, and they know how to demonize an intelligent, experienced legislator and politician who just happens to be a skinny grandmother from San Francisco.

Posted by: herzliebster
====*====*====*====*====*====*====*====*

The true difference between those who listen to conservative talk radio and television shows AND YOU is that you prefer to remain stupid and ignorant, and they don't.

You stupidly trust your future to your blind leaders whose moral compass is broken! Sadly, you will fall into the ditch with all of the rest of them.

Posted by: Jordan48 | August 18, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

God help us all and our liberty to speak out! It is a sad day for America when we can not support opposition to something without the threat of Big Brother looking into our freedom of speech and donations. Yet, Nancy has no problem with her SEIU thugs trampling on the front lawn of a bank executive who's 14 yo was the only one home. But we be dammmmmned if we support those against the dems and Obama! Folks this is solid proof that the Progressives are out to take whatever is left of our freedoms! Take it back by force if necessary! SEIU and AFLCIO are paid thugs to do the dems bidding! They are bused into areas and paid to demostrate like in AZ. Sickening!
Remember these words in November!

Posted by: usmc1969 | August 18, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Remember these words in November!

Posted by: usmc1969 | August 18, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: herzliebster | August 18, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

1) The entire religion of Islam did not attack us on 9/11.

2) American Muslims mourned 9/11's dead and injured along with the rest of us.

3) This is New York's decision, not America's.

Now kindly shut up.

Posted by: brickerd
====*====*====*====*====*====*====*====*

I will not argue against your statement that there were indded many American muslims who mourned the dead of 9/11, but they are American brothers and sisters. Did you not see the celebrations, dancing, laughing, of those other muslims in the middle eastern countries when they heard the reports of the destruction of the Twin Towers and part of the Pentagon?

When have we heard ANY muslim nation condemn the acts of those fundamental Islamic terrorists on 9/11? This is not just a mosque, of which New York has many. It is being built at this specific location as a monument to the dead martyrs of Islam, who piloted those planes on 9/11. The funding to build this vile edifice is coming from who?

The Imam who is building this mosque at ground zero has less than $18,000.00 in his account. So..where is the money...$130 Million coming from? This Imam who refuses to declare that Hamas is a terrorist organization, while Homeland Security declared it to be a terrorist organization almost 7 years ago.

I ask our elite power suck governmental leaders why ground zero has not been declared to be a National Hhistoric site, like Pearl Harbor? Oh, I forgot, this is NEW YORK where land is money, money, money, money, money! Let's find out what politicians got Pay-o-la to allow this mosque to be built 300 feet from ground zero!. The exact site where the landing gear of one plane landed.

I hope that there are many contractors in New York who will refuse to work to build this Memorial to the Islamic Terrorists who slaughtered our family and friends.

Posted by: Jordan48 | August 18, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

i'm pretty sure that nancy pelosi would be much happier if she moved to Venezuela.

i hear they love crazy people down there.

she's beginning to wear a little thin on mainstream america.

Posted by: potomacfever00 | August 18, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

When did Pelosi and her gaggle of leftwing hacks ever concern themselves with religious liberty? She and the ACLU have fought the right of prayer in schools, nativity scenes at Christmas, and even prayer among high school athletes. She is an idiot.

Posted by: nmg3rln | August 18, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Of course you realize, Nancy, that there are millions of Americans who don't support the construction of this mosque, particularly near ground-zero, but you can start your investigations with me. Not to disappoint you, but I'm really not much to investigate. I just don't agree with your nut-job liberal views. I would however enjoy the opportunity to explain to you my consitutional right to express my views whether they differ with yours or not. Of course if you intend to try to lock me up for that, you best bring help, and lots of it.

For christ' sakes people, Nancy has lost it [again]. Somebody please throw a net over her.

Posted by: flintston | August 18, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Keep it up Strega Polosi. Please! Drive people to the polls to emancipate themselves from Democrats oppression. In two years this woman will retire from Congress.

Posted by: sperrico | August 18, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

QUOTE: "There is no question that there is a concerted effort to make this a political issue by some," said Pelosi, "and I join those who have called for looking into how is this opposition to the mosque being funded? How is this being ginned up?"...Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of the House
====*====*====*====*====*====*====*====*
Please allow me to explain this whole thing to you Nancy (moron). Now I have given careful thought to this entire issue and by the use of common horse sense, which obviously you have none, I came to the following conclusions:

1). Many of us, with the ability to perform rational thought processes within our brains, by the merits of basic intelligence, read newspapers. To you, this is a "political issue" which has been spawned by those who are vicious conservatives bent on getting you.

But, in truth, many of us out here, which are not a part of your power center, walk in the real world every day! We are not a part of your world of the "politically correct" and the elite "bow down and worship the President" social hierarchy you belong to!

WE remember the events of 9/11, even though you and many of your fellow bureaucrats have forgotten that day. We remember the senseless slaughter of 3,000 innocent American citizens! These were not members of your socially elite butt buddies group who are no longer walking in the reality of the real world.

These were people like the rest of us... common people, like those who put you in office, with wives, husbands, mothers, fathers, children, and friends. Approximately 400 were were firefighters and police officers who died while trying to save the lives of their fellow citizens. Now you blind bureaucrats want to investigate US because we oppose this blight, this vile edifice which is being erected near this holy site. How dare you challenge us in our righteous indignation!

We, unlike you and your ilk, remember and revere our honored dead. We hold certain things above the law of the land! That which is honorable, decent, and morally right! We honor the slain who died at the hands of the same "fundamental Islamic terrorist barbarians" whose sponsors and radical teachers desire to raise up their own shrine to the "Islamic Terrorists" who piloted those two planes into the World Trade Center.

According to you and the Obamanation Administration, we should not call these fanatic Islamic murderers "terrorists", but "those who caused a man made disaster". I say "nutz" to you all!

What I want is an investigation to be started to find out just how you, a "dumbed down moron nit wit" got elected to the office you now hold.

Posted by: Jordan48 | August 18, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Madame Pelosi wants to investigate the wrong people. Why did she not seek to investigate where the money for the mosque is coming from? This woman needs to retire from public office and find a nice beach house in California with round the clock nursing care. She is as out of touch with the American people as Obama.

Posted by: donato777 | August 18, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: donato777 | August 18, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

1) The entire religion of Islam did not attack us on 9/11.

2) American Muslims mourned 9/11's dead and injured along with the rest of us.

3) This is New York's decision, not America's.

Now kindly shut up.

Posted by: brickerd | August 18, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

NO! I WON'T SHUT UP!

The religion of Islam teaches violence against Christians. Listen to what they are taught in many of the mosques.

I've not seen any American Islamic leaders speak out strongly against Islamic terror and the basis in the Koran for it.

The last time I looked, New York City is part of the United States so it was the United States that was attacked.

Islam IS the problem. The Islamic world has chosen to renew their war against the west which most thought had ended centuries ago when they were driven from much of Europe.

The only reason they want to build that mosque is for the symbolism of Islam’s great victory over "The Great Satan" on Sept. 11, 2001.

The only house of worship that was destroyed on 911 was a small Greek Orthodox Church and it doesn't appear they will be permitted to rebuild,
but a new mosque will be constructed at Ground Zero.

So now...YOU SHUT UP.

Posted by: suenjim | August 18, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Healthcare ‘Reform’ Passed?
by SusanAnne Hiller

Back in February 2010, Democrat House Speaker Nancy Pelosi promised the American people that approximately 400,000 jobs would be created due to the passage of the healthcare bill.

Remember Pelosi promised this:

Speaker Nancy Pelosi at the health summit: “It’s about jobs. In it’s life, it [the health bill] will create 4 million jobs — 400,000 jobs almost immediately.”

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Pelosi PROMISED 400,000 JOBS with the passage of Healthcare Reform!

I think we will be investigating Pelosi real soon!

Posted by: theaz | August 18, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Is this woman on medical marijuana?? Nancy tell us who paid you to oppose raising the retirement age for SS. And, who paid you to oppose sending more troops to Afghanistan?
What about your opposition to the creation of Iraq oversight committee, who paid you for that??... Oh wait I get it, YOU are the all knowing, almighty Nancy, and you you better than anyone else what is right and what is wrong. Sorry Nance, I disagree...I think you are just plain STUPID.

Posted by: Drox | August 18, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey! I like that idea of getting in on some of that funding to oppose the mosque tht Nancy thinks is out there. I'm opposing it for free right now, Nancy, but I'd be willing to accept funds to continue doing so if you think you know someone who's passing out the cash.

Nancy, you know,...you are just a JERK in capital letters! You prove it every time you open your mouth.

Posted by: suenjim | August 18, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Ranted the crazy lady as she stomped with juvenile furver upon the backs of the People again, with her same spikey high heels she tred on astroturf people with.

Why isn't this woman indicted by the ethics commission yet?
Don't they want to be invited to serve again or just plan to included in the indictment as accessory to the fraud later?

Violation of the Oath of Office is sufficient cause for immediate and permanent removal from office, retroactive to the date of first violation even if that violation occurred many years or decades ago, including requirement that an Oath of Office violator return all pay and expense reimbursements and have all personal recorded votes voided and removed from the legislative record back to the date of first violation.

PL87-297 Arms control and Disarmament Act/ State Department Publication no.7277

is coming like a freight train at the incumbents also.

Nancy = No Confidence

Posted by: dottydo | August 18, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

1) The entire religion of Islam did not attack us on 9/11.

2) American Muslims mourned 9/11's dead and injured along with the rest of us.

3) This is New York's decision, not America's.

Now kindly shut up.

Posted by: brickerd | August 18, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

"Now kindly shut up"??? How much clearer can this be made to you...in this country we have the right to express our opinions. If you and Pelosi find a compelling, uncontrollable need to "shut up" debate, you need to find another country to live in...PLEASE!!!!

Posted by: bkw983 | August 18, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

She should move to Saudi Arabia. It is not only that she won't be able to fly, but also she won't be able to drive, drink or speak publicly. That should teach her a real life lesson about the difference between our beloved country and the ones who want to hurt us for our values and no other reason whatsoever.

Maybe if Nancy would start wearing a Burka and adhering to the Islamic lifestyle for women that they ardently desire to impose on the United States and the whole western world, she' begin to have a different point of view, but that would require logical thinking and she doesn't seem to be capable of that.

Posted by: suenjim | August 18, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I just want to make clear to Nancy

No one is funding me.

If she knows how I can get some funding, people send that information over

thanks !

Posted by: SummerDreams | August 18, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

In regard to Nancy Pelosi's comments about this, I really must wonder why people of the SF district elected this person of marginal intellect to represent them. What an embarrassment!

I called her office to inform her that I was notifying my Rep & Senators to join with her in calling for investigations. Before I could tell them what I wanted, they hung up on me, so I called back, again they hung up, and again a third hang up, then they pushed me off to voice mail. So I called the district office, they were too busy so they put me on eternal hold.

But all that aside, I agree we need to investigate those who are politicizing this issue, so far the only people I have seen in the media making this a political issue, have been Mayor Mikey Bloomberg, Governor Paterson, Nan Pelosi and Barry Obama.

So, madam speaker investigate away.

BTW SF residents..., with a representative like her you'd be better off leaving the seat vacant.

Posted by: jonweiss1 | August 18, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

What's next from the lunatic-left d-crat socialists? Will they use the FBI and Army to round-up everybody that opposes their desire to let the radical muslins raise their middle finger to America with their "victory celebration" Ground-Zero mosque? Will they put us in prison indefinitely for speaking out against this provocation? Will they shoot us when we attend rallies against this mosque? Will they use the IRS to relentlessly audit and harass us if we contribute money to those that support the sanctity of Ground-Zero?

Crazy pelosi and the d-crat socialists are out-of-control TYRANTS who viciously go after anybody that doesn't support their radical, extremist, anti-Semitic, anti-American, pro-islamic jihadist muslim views.

Posted by: TeaPartyPatriot | August 18, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I like her use of the term "ginned up" it proves what I've always thought about her: She's drunk all the time!

Posted by: FLvet | August 18, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Join me in praying nothing happens to Obama and Biden ... can you imagine if this stupid b!+ch should become President?

Posted by: VirginiaLonghorn | August 18, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Pelosi and Obama represents nanny liberals and their utter disdain for this country and its mainstream (which cling to guns and religion, while they have evolved out to be elites who care take care of us despite our stupidity).

There is a placed reserved for them in history books where we'll look back and shake our heads as to what self-righteous nihilism this country was once capable of.

Posted by: NoWeCant | August 18, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

So, Pelosi wants to investigate those Opposed to the mosque? Why doesn't she investigate those who protested and boycotted Arizona for trying to enforce existing immigration law?

Posted by: ohioan | August 18, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Pelosi chooses to demonize the opposition with threats of investigation rather than argue the merits of her case. Her speakership is about to be swept into the dustbin of history - and it is high time for a "House" cleaning come November. When the Republicans take back the House, there will indeed be investigations backed up by subpoenas, but the topics of those investigation will be Obama and his out of control administration - not the surviving families of 9/11. Let the hearings begin!

Posted by: JM80 | August 18, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Time for the Democratic Party to do the right thing for the nation and replace Pelosi as Speaker.

Not only is she incompetent (just take a close look at the content of the bills she's pushed through), she is divisive.

Posted by: coastofutopia | August 18, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I hope the voters in California send Pelosi a one way ticket back home during the next election. She is a disgrace to women in government and the Democratic Party.

Posted by: middleagedincleveland | August 18, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

She should name her investigation, "The House Un-American Activities Commission."

Oh, wait...

Posted by: JSmitan | August 18, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

__________________________________

Thanks for the best laugh of the day, that was quick and to the point.

Posted by: drc231 | August 18, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

NOVEMBER

Posted by: Smarg |

------------------------

Excited about the release of the new Harry Potter movie?

Posted by: js_edit | August 18, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Many of the comments here are an embarrassment.

There is no better issue at the moment serving as a litmus test for mindless bigotry than this mosque business.

Americans would rather kow-tow to irrational arguments about a sensitive subject than face down Islamophobes.

I don't know how much clearer this can be said to those of you who oppose this Mosque.

1) The entire religion of Islam did not attack us on 9/11.

2) American Muslims mourned 9/11's dead and injured along with the rest of us.

3) This is New York's decision, not America's.

Now kindly shut up.

Posted by: brickerd | August 18, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abus
========================
Brickerd - you see about as well as Pelosi? I would not deny the building of the mosque - I would question the the siet location.
We know the entire nation of Islam did not attack us - but we also know that the same iman of this mosque denies Hamas as a terrorist organization.
yes - Many Muslim's mourned 9/11's dead - while many others danced in the street. Oh how nice it would be to have these so called moderates - condemn those countries and or actions that are taken in the name of Allah against its people.
Also - this is NY's decision - they perhaps you need top tell the hag Pelosi to shut-up or perhaps Obama - oh thats right there Dems - ok for them to weigh in.
But I'll give you this much - it is NY's decision - and the people are against it 70% - 30%.

Posted by: short1 | August 18, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Am appalled as to what is happening to our UNITED States of America. The name calling, lack of respect, discrimination, hate is not what our country is all about.
The media, republicans and radicals have made this much more than should have been. Quite frankly, I do not care where they build their mosque, it is their right, but how can anyone say something two blocks away is ground zero?

Posted by: kathlenec | August 18, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kathlenec | August 18, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

OK now Skeletor has really lost it. She's questioning why people are talking about the mosque and thinking that it needs to be funded for people to get angry? That just goes to show how this elite wench thinks that people are so dumb to question things unless there someone pulling the strings behind it.

Posted by: Jsuf | August 18, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Once again, the left shows it is the party of intolerance and stalinist orthodoxy. No one may dare to offer an alternative viewpoint without being "investigated."

Nancy Pelosi. The gift that keeps on giving to Republicans for Nov 2010

Posted by: silencedogoodreturns | August 18, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kathlenec | August 18, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Is she for real? Every person I that have spoken with about this (accept 1 out of about 2 dozen) is dead set against this Mosque. Everyone accept her and Obama. They are just out of touch with the majority of America.

Posted by: dbeins | August 18, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Oh my goodness. The goddess of self indulgence is demanding the investigation into who is funding the opposition to the mosque. Now this is funny. Did any of you get paid to put in your two cents. Well I didn't . I am just madder than heck at the audacity of these people to build a mega mosque where the body of one of those terrorist thugs fell. Well, Madame space unit, I am demanding an investigation into this so called interfaith joke of a charity and how a waiter can come up with 4.8 million. I am demanding an investigation into why the State Dept. is sending this imam over to the middle east on some mysterious mission on our taxpayer dime. I am demanding to have an investigation into their connections to Hamas. I am demanding to know how a Gov. Patterson can offer a so called religious entity state owned property. I demand an explanation why our stupid politicians can lecture us on tolerance when this group supports barbaric sharia law.

Posted by: greatgran1 | August 18, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

NOVEMBER

Posted by: Smarg | August 18, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Someone please throw a bucket of water on this witch.

Posted by: pgr88 | August 18, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Many of the comments here are an embarrassment.

1) The entire religion of Islam did not attack us on 9/11.

2) American Muslims mourned 9/11's dead and injured along with the rest of us.

3) This is New York's decision, not America's.

Now kindly shut up.

Posted by: brickerd | August 18, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Investigations are very blunt weapons. Even when they miss, they splash enough mud to obscure.

Her opinion that the opposition is "being ginned up" is proof enough of her position and motives for calling for investigations.

Posted by: kitchendragon50 | August 18, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

The socialist hag can't fathom the idea that something doesn't need to be funded. Ah Ha Ha! It's a window into her thinking, that's all. Such a scary "human being".

Posted by: tmonk1 | August 18, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

?? Is this women for real? Whose funding the mosque issue? Please Californians - boot this nut job out - she is an absolute embarrassment.
The question should be - who is funding her re-elections.

Posted by: short1 | August 18, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Pelosi makes me vomit. She belongs in Cuba.

Posted by: MRGB | August 18, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Nancy, shut up you shriveled up hag. Seeing as how you ARE the swamp, I was hoping you'd get lost and we wouldn't have to deal with your stupidity any more. Worst speaker of the House in history.

Posted by: ArlingtonHokie | August 18, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm sending a letter/email to my elected representative who is running for re-election stating that I can't handle any more of his fake Democrat (Socialist or Communist or what ever road their on.) party. I'll vote him out for my 2 cents worth.

Posted by: gunnysgt77 | August 18, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

"Saudi Arabia has zero churches and will actually arrest someone who enters carrying a bible or crucifix"

So, you're suggesting we take our cues from Saudi Arabia? If they're intolerant, we should be intolerant, too?

Posted by: lizgwiz | August 18, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Somebody put a burka on this witch, to spare my eyes and to show where her fidelity lies. They're done come November. Now it's whether I have a yob or not.

Posted by: coogene | August 18, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

@ALL XTIANS AND BLACKS

GUESS WHAT...............YES THE CHURCH STARTED AND MADE $$$ ON THE SLAVE TRADE

PASTE THIS IN GOOGLE SEARCH:( CHURCH INVOLVEMENT IN US AND EUROPE'S SLAVE TRADE )

BY STAR E DESISIS ( PRECEDENCE ), RES IPSA LOQUITOR, RES JUDICATA, CHILLING EFFECT
What if we had a ALEX JONES,REV. TEX MARR,WESTBORRO BAPTISH AND SOUTHERN BAPTIST CHURCHS etc XTIAN referendum in Mass BY PUBLIC VOTE TO OUTLAW & Eliminate FREEMASONRY ,NWO, BOHEMIAN GROVE, UNIV/COLLEGE FRAT-SOROR etc and the Republican Party.

Would you support the call for a vote? Or would you suddenly "discover" the protection of civil liberties in a Constitutional form of government? DOES THE BILL OF RIGHTS/ CIVIL RIGHTS PROTECT THEM ALSO FROM A MAJORITY VOTE AGAINST THEM,

OR AS IN THE MORGAN AFFAIR ( THE MAJORITY OF US XTIANS AT THAT TIME FRAME WANTED FREEMASONRY etc TO END ),TO BE DRIVEN OUT OF EXISTANCE FOR THIER BELIEFS, NOT ALL RELIGIOUSE AGREE WITH THEM YOU KNOW (SEE LIST ABOVE) , AND SOME SPEAK VIOLANCE TOWARDS THEM,TO HARM THEM,

( I AM FOR THIER EXISTANCE) INALIENABLE RIGHTS OF HUMANE CIVILITY EVERYWHERE, RELIGION TALKS ABOUT LOVE & PEACE, THEN STARTS TO MURDER , IF "GOD" DON'T LIKE IT, THEN LET "GOD" DO IT, NOT FILTHY SINFUL MEN THEMSELVES AS THE BOOK OF JAMES SAYS " THE ANGER OF MAN WORKETH NOT THE RIGHTOUSNESS OF GOD"(CIVIL RIGHTS/LIBERTIES) SHOULD NEVER BE A VOTE

SO DON'T BLAME:"Secret Fraternal Societies/ or a Shadow Goverment Empires etc." You All go Willingly to it. SO MUCH TECHNOLOGY AND MEDICAL HELP WAS AND STILL IS HELD BACK BY MIS-USED AND MIS-GIDED RELIGION, Nicola Tesla had Wireless control , wifi internet etc IN THE LATE 1920s and yet in his day "religious" people called it demonic, a lot of psych is due to a mineral imbalance at low levels ie Magnesium/ zinc/ chromium can held symptoms of schizophrenia / Paranoid/ and manics alone,its not demonic , only misdiagnosis , thats why the military etc gets advance tech 1st, because the superstitious public cant handle it , but then complains about "Secret Societies NWO" stuff, blame yourselves for being dumb sheep, not others (EUREKA IQ)

(GOOGLE:"Church ATM Regulation Laws"), CHURCHES ARE THEIR CORPORATE BANKS THAT DON'T CONTRIBUTE THRU TAXES SO THEY SHOULD HAVE NO SAY NOR INFLUENCE IN DADT etc.

its internesting that people demand a separation of the church and of the state yet quote the bible on how to run the state...which way do you want it?

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

~Mahatma Gandhi

Posted by: shaiarra | August 18, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Nancy Pelosi: Who's funding the mosque opposition?

Ha ha ha ! Is this for real ?

This House Speaker woman is CLUELESS !!

Joined by a feckless clumsy elitist President... who disagees with most Americans on well just about everything - think immigration, health reform, spending, deficits, and Islam.

Joined by a clumsy flip-flopping Senate Majority leader who once supported NO-BIRTH rights before SUPPORTING Birth-rights... who may or may not like Muslims except the clean, light-skinned Negro variety...

The Dems are in deep deep trouble.

Posted by: Petras123 | August 18, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

"Posted by: trippin1 | August 18, 2010 12:12 PM"

Ask Rupert Murdoch to take it up with Saudi Arabian Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, the fourth largest investor in FOX News.

If you're not as concerned about the Saudis influence on FOX news, then you shouldn't be so concerned about possible Saudi funding of an Islamic center, especially since FOX News impacts FAR more people than the center in NY ever will.

Oh, and regarding imprisoning Christians, so, because the Saudis don't allow full religious freedom, we should cut back our religious freedoms here?

Okay, got it, thanks.

Posted by: kingcranky | August 18, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

At last, this wingnut has finally tipped her hand. She wants the government to investigate groups against the mosque in New York. This is just a feint. If successful, she'll want to "investigate" every group disagreeing with her. Our nation and our freedoms are in very real danger of screwballs like this witch. I just hope the American people wake up and realize just how dangerous these people are.

Posted by: panamajack | August 18, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Investigate Murdoch and News Corp for tax evasion.
Investigate the Fox agenda in favor of corporate crime, then deport Murdoch, he is a pox on the US.

Posted by: jama452 | August 18, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Investigate Murdoch and News Corporation for tax evasion, and investigate their agenda in favor of corporate profits.

Deport Murdoch, he is a pox on the US.

Posted by: jama452 | August 18, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Pelosi = Unhinged

Posted by: mjapr | August 18, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

News flash Nancy: It costs money to build a mosque. It doesn't cost anything to speak out against it.

Posted by: Jeff08 | August 18, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

More and more I think Pelosi is senile, an old school communist or a druggie.... or all of the above! Who is funding the building? Why would anyone want to put up a building when there is so much opposition? You know that down the road some lunatic is going to do harm if it is built. It won't be a matter of if, just when?

Posted by: gunnysgt77 | August 18, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Of course Strong-Arm Pelosi asked for an investigation into the funding of the opposition to the mosque. She would never ask for an investigation into who is funding the building of the mosque. That might throw a wrench into their progressive PC world agenda.

Posted by: bethg1841 | August 18, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Pelosi seems to be advocating another Kristallnach, with all that question Obama or the Dems policies are rounded up and investigated. What's next Nancy, "Re-education" camps for those that disagree with you or any of the Democrats policies?

My God, in any other country, she would be taken out and shot for her madness.

===============================================
Pretty obvious fear has taken over reason for the conservative posters. We are better than the Islamic countries that allow religious prejudice, mimicking them drops us to their level. We should be about inclusion, not exclusion, I may disagree with conservatives but in no way think they want America to fail regardless of the good job they've done destroying the middle class to enhance the top 2%.

Posted by: jameschirico | August 18, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Nancy Pelosi has a real ugly streak. I'm talking about her politics! What did you think I was talking about?

Posted by: Rob_ | August 18, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Pelosi, am opposed to the mosque.

Are you going to investigate me?

While you are at it, do you mind investigate how much the Imam has given in payouts to get approval from NYC council and the mayor?

Posted by: coqui44 | August 18, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

People can think whatever they want - as far as I know, the Constitution still allows freedom of thought.

And most people - at least those I know who oppose the building of the mosque in that location - do not say they CANNOT build it there, as in they have no right to, they say they SHOULD NOT build it there, as in they have a choice. There are lots of things people have the right to do that maybe they shouldn't do.

To me, this is an issue of sensitivity and respect. I understand that it is 99.99% likely that the Muslims building this mosque have no malevolent intentions by it, but to me, it's just not right. But I gladly and willingly acknowledge that they have the right to build wherever the zoning laws and other regulations allow them, and that it is their choice.

Posted by: JG08 | August 18, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

so, in other words (in the world of nancy pelosi, that is), there is no such thing as a legitimate, honest reason to oppose this islamic center?

does this lunatic pelosi really think there can only be ONE reason to be opposed to this islamic center being located in lower manhattan? maybe there are dozens of legitimate reasons to oppose any particular thing in this world, including this mosque.

but in nancy pelosi's twisted mind, there must always, under all conditions, be only ONE reason to oppose a given thing?

let's say i know two people who oppose something, but not for the same reason... if my neighbor's reason is one thing and my co-worker's reason is another thing, does this mean nancy pelosi should call for an investigation to see who or what is behind the thoughts of these two individuals?

this ought to be a good one.

Posted by: potomacfever00 | August 18, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Hey Nancy, you freak of nature, please tell us first who's funding YOU?

Bet you can't....

Posted by: fritz101 | August 18, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

One of the questions we can ask Madam Speaker is why the Treasure Island plan has absolutely no zoning -- zero nada nothing -- for a single place of worship. The planning commission of San Francisco acknowledged that religion does not need to have a place in a community.

This tells us how San Francisco deals with the freedom of religion issue, they see only freedom from religion.

On the freedom of speech role, Madam Speaker has now proved that she can fill the small shoes and match the small brain of Joseph McCarthy. Apparently the right to protest anything that challenges Democrats is not only outside the 1st Amendment, it may be illegal and should be brought before a re-constituted HUAC.

Posted by: krush01 | August 18, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

She didn't ask for a congressional investigation, so don't get so excited. Of course, many want to be excited by anything they can. Besides, it's more the other side that's demanding to know who's funding what here. Listen to your own radio heroes. Besides, she wasn't making an address on the Senate floor. You want examples of McCarthyism in Congress today? I'll find plenty from the Repubs to quote. Plenty.

Posted by: unabnats | August 18, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Hey americans, haven't you read the Bill of Rights? You have no right to "forbid" a mosque being built anywhere a church is allowed. Or is religious freedom too hard to grasp? Frankly, I'd like to forbid and church, temple, or Mosque from being built (especially tax free) anywhere. But, so what? It matters not. And, funding campaigns against churches, a good idea, you'd be the first to demand "WHO?". Don't deny it, hypoccrits.

Posted by: unabnats | August 18, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: unabnats | August 18, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: unabnats | August 18, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I am going to share a copy of the email I just sent to Ms. Pelosi. I seriously doubt her staff will let her see it but at least I got to voice my opinion. Excuse any typo's, I was a bit upset when I wrote it:

Dear Ms. Pelosi,

There is no need to launch an investigation into who is funding the protest of building a mosque at ground zero. I have the answer to your question. It is so simple you are going to kick yourself for not thinking of it sooner: AMERICAN CITIZENS!

I donated $5.00 I saved using coupons on
groceries.

Yes, a mosque can be built in America however you know as well as I do that it should not be in that location. I find it very sad that you have not demanded to know where the money to fund the mosque is coming from.

On 9/11 people had to make choice: jump to their death or be burned alive. You Ms. Pelosi have a much simpler choice: Support America or foreign countries.

Posted by: BLUEDURANGO | August 18, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

This type of thing will become the death kneel for the Huckabees come November. The voters will remember crap like this when they go to the polls.

Posted by: areyousaying | August 18, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

How about the irony that people who think the wrong thoughts should get off scot-free even though they are unconstitutional? The right-wing nuts are violating the first amendment, all in the name of feel-good "sensitivity," and in the name of Fox News, a foreign-owned business.

THAT'S what is un-American about this issue.

________________________________

Does anyone else see the irony in this case? Pelosi wants to defend religious freedom by persecuting people who think the "wrong" thoughts.

Wow...the hypocrisy here is astounding.

Posted by: diehardlib | August 18, 2010 12:24 PM

Posted by: bs2004 | August 18, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

PELOSI, what party would put that traitor MORON into a leadership position?

DemocRats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: theaz | August 18, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: unabnats | August 18, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Oh, wait...

Posted by: JSmitan | August 18, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Nancy Worships her Muslim boy Obama. The Obama Administration and foreign governments have perverted the Constitution and the Laws of the United States of America in order to Destroy it. People if you don't wake up and start doing something; We can only blame ourselves for our NEW MARXIST/SOCIALIST SOCIETY WE ARE GOING TO HAVE. This is happening now.

Posted by: makom | August 18, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: makom | August 18, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realist201 | August 18, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't get it. Do the Democrats, apart from Reid, have a collective death wish? This is so politically tone-deaf on so many levels that I don't know where to begin.

Apart from the disturbing idea that Congress should ever investigate protected speech like this, Pelosi is implying that people opposed to a mosque at Ground Zero must have nefarious motives. How out-of-sync can you get?

The correct response by the Democrats would be "Personally, I oppose a mosque at Ground Zero. But I have taken an oath to defend the Constitution and the Constitution forbids me, as a public official, of taking any notice of which religion wants to build a place of worship near the site." How hard is that?

Posted by: anon99 | August 18, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

This type of thing will become the death kneel for the Democrats come November. The voters will remember crap like this when they go to the polls.

Posted by: liberalsareblind | August 18, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Wow...the hypocrisy here is astounding.

Posted by: diehardlib | August 18, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

My God, in any other country, she would be taken out and shot for her madness.

Posted by: walterndebby | August 18, 2010 12:16 PM
___________________

Congratulations. You just got on a Secret Service watchlist.

Posted by: bs2004 | August 18, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

My God - pelosi is advocating a police state like Venezuela where all that disagree with the Democrats is invetsigated and harrassed, if not actually arrested.
Posted by: Realist201 | August 18, 2010 12:11 PM
____________________

May I remind you that REPUGNANT Alan Simpson tried to haul in the AARP because it disagreed with the REPUGNANT takeover in 1994?

Posted by: bs2004 | August 18, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Pelosi is right, and she should start her investigation with Harry Reid.

Posted by: CA57 | August 18, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

This Pelosi woman is completely wacko and a traitor and a Marxist. She is a disgrace and hopefully, she will not be Speaker after November. My God, in any other country, she would be taken out and shot for her madness.

Posted by: walterndebby | August 18, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Keep talking, Nancy. You are a godsend to conservatives. I'm surprised you didn't hold a press conference aboard one of the taxpayer-funded Air Force jets you routinely co-opt for private use, flown in circles at low altitude above NYC just to freak everyone out.

In the Democrat bizarro world, even though NYC already has dozens of mosques, we are hateful bigots if we oppose building another mosque next to ground zero. In fact, our tolerance means we must surrender every aspect of national heritage and culture to any other culture that comes along. Saudi Arabia has zero churches and will actually arrest someone who enters carrying a bible or crucifix, but somehow our lack of tolerance is the problem.

Posted by: zippyspeed | August 18, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

This is great!

If you can have year-round electioneering by proxy, then it needs to be investigated when it asks for that which is unconstitutional.

I say go for it, Nancy! Smash the right-wing nutjobs and their media sycophants!!!

Yeagh!

Posted by: bs2004 | August 18, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Nancy's right. The development they have planned for Treasure Island is a lot more interesting than a community center in New York.

This "Ground Zero Mosque" is the biggest mountain out of a molehill since the three nutbars in Philly suddenly morphed into the "New Black Panther Party."

Posted by: js_edit | August 18, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: trippin1 | August 18, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

My God - pelosi is advocating a police state like Venezuela where all that disagree with the Democrats is invetigated and harrassed, if not actually arrested. Under the Democrats, the justice department and overall air is becoming more like the old Soviet Union or Nazi Germany.

Posted by: Realist201 | August 18, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

IS NANCY PELOSI A NUTBALL? It seems as if Nancy is flipped her wig and her statements will piss off an entire nation, the latest polls show 77% are against the Mosque being built at ground zero. As a Democrat I am against the Mosque being built there and I stand with Reid, REAL DEMOCRATS DON'T WANT NO STINKING MOSQUE AT GROUND ZERO. Nancy, you are killing the party, you will turn the entire country against us, SHUT UP BBBBBIACH.

Posted by: Richie5 | August 18, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse