Obama to GOP: 'You can't have the keys back!'

By Matt DeLong

After his speech on Iraq Monday, President Obama attended a Democratic National Committee fundraiser at the same Atlanta hotel. Obama delivered a revved-up version of the stump speech that he has given in recent weeks -- and that you will no doubt be hearing throughout the fall. The president said the Republican Party lack one "single, solitary new idea" and are "betting on amnesia" to help them in November. During a bit that drew hearty laughs from the Democratic audience, he likened the GOP to a driver who has gone into a ditch, and after not helping to push the car out, demands the keys back.

"You can't have the keys back," Obama exclaimed. "You don't know how to drive!"

Watch:

(More politics coverage at PostPolitics.com)

By Matt DeLong  |  August 3, 2010; 11:16 AM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sharron Angle: Press should 'ask the questions we want to answer'
Next: Senate poised to confirm Kagan this week

Comments

Excellent points, jdmmojo! And not all us old farts (I'll soon be 62 and qualified for Social Security) are stupid enough to believe that conartistive BS the Repigglycans spew. Especially the asinine idea that you can privatize Social Security and not have to rename it Crapital Insecurity to keep the name accurate!

Posted by: 60srad | August 6, 2010 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 60srad | August 6, 2010 1:01 AM | Report abuse

TO YOU CRAZY REPUBLICANS (gideonssword81): For one, don't refer to the president as Barry. I didn't like Bush but I never called him Georgie. You disrespect the office by doing that. Secondly, you probably won't drive dems out of office. Thirdly, there isn't anything "criminal" in the White House. WTF claim is that?

Republicans are stupid. They use big words they don't understand. "Socialism". "He's a socialist". So what if he was? BUT HE ISN'T. By calling him one you just prove that you have absolutely no idea what the hell the word socialism means. For starters, your public schools, fire department, building codes, fire codes, MILITARY, police, national parks, street signs, post office, FCC, FDIC, social security, medicare, THE IRS... and the list could go on until my fingers are raw. Those are all socialist ideas. Society... kind of sounds like socialism doesn't it? That's the idea...

Now why don't I think Obama is a socialist? He hasn't done anything socialist since he's been in office. That health care bill that you republicans call socialist - It has no public option. PRIVATE health insurers will still profit off of your lives. Government death panels... HAHA... what a joke. You have a death panel and it is called a board room. There's been movies made about insurers denying claims to people who have died because of it. Why? Because private insurers PROFIT when you die. Or, they make so much money on treatment rather than a cure.

I am saddened by the stupidity in this country. We could be the greatest nation on earth, but everyone is letting human greed guide our policy making. Health care should be a right, jobs should be a right, education should be a right, food, water, air should be rights, and having a place to live should be a right.

So you crazies who are trying to keep America from becoming a great country where everyone who is able can have a job, health, and a fair shot at their goals, wake up. Wake up or die out. I'm 25 years old, my generation and the ones after me are coming up in this world and we're smarter than you. Thank the internet for that. We see through your B.S. Why should you older people who will die much sooner than us younger ones get to fight health care? I'm 25 and diabetic, a-holes. How's that for a pre-existing condition? But I guess, you know, I have to work for my insulin like everyone else! This is America! Insulin isn't free! And anyone can be rich! Yeah right... wake up or die out.

Peace, Work, Bread, and Freedom!

Posted by: jdmmojo | August 5, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

meyrb42

The reason you are a hypocrite is because in response to

"Wait, Did I miss something?
When did Obama pull the car out of the ditch???"

you said

"He didn't say he pulled it out and got it back on the road" and then told people to actually follow the story.

When in fact he DID say that they pulled the car out of the ditch and got it back on the road.

Evidence: [2:12]
"Finally we get this car out of the ditch, where we're just right there on the blacktop; we're just about to start driving again."

I'm not sure what you definition of hypocritical is, but I certainly do know that if you're insulting others because you think they didn't pay attention, when it was actually YOU who didn't pay attention to the speech, then you are a hypocrite.

Posted by: adamskov | August 5, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Oilbama says, "You can't have the keys back!"

Uh, sorry, Barry, but come November your party is going to be handed its walking papers. I will stand naked in the snow for a week so I can vote against every Democrat I can. I want to see wholesale landslides, a repudiation of this criminal cabal in the White House unlike any congressional election since 1894. (Look up what happened that year and see what I mean.)

Oh, and, uh, Barry? You ARE going to hand over the keys to us in January, and if you do not like it there is are jail cells in Chicago with Blago's and Giannoulias' names on them, and we will be happy to put you and your Marie Antoinette wife in cell #3.

Now, Barry, here are some “you wills” and “you won’ts”: You WILL hand us the keys, you WILL NOT thrust your crap down our throats anymore, and YOU WILL have to either moderate your socialist pap or else start packing now to be thrown out of office come November 2012. You WILL have Speaker John Boehner to deal with. You will probably hold onto the US Senate, but by 1 or 2 seats at best. If you thought that the filibuster was killing your party before, wait until January! YOU WILL accept it, and YOU WILL stop whining, you pathetic little worm.

Posted by: gideonssword81 | August 5, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

meyrb42

You say that the republicans are blocking the democrats from getting things done but how can you say that when they have the voting majority and do not need a single republican vote to get things passed?
You also state that it is the republicans fault for the fiscal problems we have today. My my we have a short memory in the fact that the congress was ruled by the democrats during the Bush years. Especially in the latter half of his administration.
As far as the republicans voting against extending the unemployment benefits....we have caps for a reason on these things. The money cannot be given to everyone indefinitely. Do not get me wrong, I am sympathetic and empathetic to those without a job right now, but where would the governemnt come up with the millions of dollars that the action would have taken if it passed?

You blame the republicans for the money matters but what about my son and what he already has to payback due to Obama's horrific spending? He is 20months old and he will be paying for years for what Obama did in a swipe of the pen. Obama signed off on this trillion dollar defecit, not Bush.
We are well into his second year and so far all he can do is stick his tongue out at republicans, bow down and apologize for every perceived slight against dictator run countries, act like a toddler during speeches, and blame Bush for the troubles that should be claimed by himself. Obama needs to stop his negative campaigning and start running this country like the elected president that he is. He touts bipartisanship yet all he does is blame the GOP for everything, and make snide comments in speeches given to his supporters. Come on, he is our elected leader, he should start acting like it. Be the example rather than part of the partisan b.s. that comes from Washington. I did not agree with much as far as Bush was concerned but at least he didn't blame Clinton for his own problems and he sure didn't blame him well into his second year of office.

Posted by: sharynfindependant | August 5, 2010 2:36 AM | Report abuse

meyrb42: Exactly. You have stated a perfect description of the administration's "plan". I couldn't have put it better myself. Thank you!

Posted by: Lingam | August 4, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

He is great! He has done more to wake up America and excite the conservatives than all the Republicans put together.

Posted by: jcs2 | August 4, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

I think our president is a GREAT leader. His analogy is right on!

Posted by: britmott | August 4, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Our president say's the GOP is betting on amnesia?...obviously this administration is!

we will remember your lack of leadership in November.

Posted by: JBfromFL | August 4, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Lingam

Hmmm wow, that makes absolutely no sense.

Posted by: meyrb42 | August 4, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Continuing the analogy: Whether the car is actually out of the ditch or not, instead of repairing it the administration wants to pour gasoline on it, light it on fire and buy a new one with the taxpayers' money.

Posted by: Lingam | August 4, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm a hypocrite?
How do you figure?
I'm not a two face Republican that talks out of both sides of his mouth so bad that his head is about to spin off.

No welfare, of course except corporate welfare.
Lower the deficit, unless of course it means the rich and the corporations pay more.

and on and on and on.

Posted by: meyrb42 | August 4, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

meyrb42

[2:12]

Hypocrite. (meyrb42 is, not Obama; just to clear things up)

Also meyrb42 you seem to be getting a lot of hate on this website, so I just wanted to say "have a nice day"

Posted by: thisisactuallymyemailaddress | August 4, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

He didn't say he pulled it out and got it back on the road.
He said he just got it back on the pavement and was starting to get it back on the road when the Republicans ask for the keys.

Come on people, follow the story.

Posted by: meyrb42 | August 4, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Wait, Did I miss something?

When did Obama pull the car out of the ditch???

Posted by: thisisactuallymyemailaddress | August 4, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Democrats have a very small majority in Congress. Not enough to over come the phony filibuster rules.
So let me get this straight.
The Republicans have 8 to 10 years to screw up the country and the Democrats have 2 to 3 to fix it?
Don't talk to me until 2016.

Posted by: meyrb42 | August 4, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

The Democrats have been in control of Congress since 2007 and have prevented the Republicans from auditing Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac for longer than that. It is 100% proof that the Dems are the ones who wrecked this country. You'd have to be deaf, dumb and blind to think otherwise. But of course that doesn't prevent this fraud-in-Chief and the Democratic Party, along with the lame-stream media, from lying and making up their own facts. True change, Nov. 2 and Obama is about to crap his pants thinking about it.

Former_Democrat

Posted by: Ozark_Sunshine | August 4, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Familyzuber

It's metaphorical!
He is not saying he wants the keys. He is saying the Democrats in this country get the keys. The Republicans drove the car in the ditch. The Democrats are pulling it out and now the Republicans want the keys back.
It is a great analogy and makes incredible sense.

Posted by: meyrb42 | August 4, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Why would anyone take the right's opinion of a president seriously anymore? They said the exact same things about Clinton in the 90s, and he was one of the most successful presidents in modern history. Then they said Bush would be so much better, and he became the most humiliating failure in ALL of U.S. history. Could anybody have less credibility when it comes to the presidency than these people? Could anyone have been more wrong?

Posted by: oofloom | August 4, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

meyrb42

Yikes ... I'm so glad he is being resisted in his attempts to implement draconian style governance. The state of the nation is the fault of the American people. The timeless principles of freedom, limited government, low taxation, and free enterprise are the only principles that work. However, they don't fix all societal problems, and there is no party that can do that (although the dems think they can). So while this is true, the introduction of Soviet style controls, European Marxist principles, and Chicago flavoured thuggary, will not improve our lot. We need to be left alone to resolve our issues, we don't need bigger government feasting like a parasite on it's own people, which is Mr. Obama's style of government. So I say to you ... thank God he is being resisted, please we need our freedoms back so because the GOP does at least stand for that, we want them back in office. Are they perfect? Obviously not, but again, it's not their policies that contributed negatively to a troubled lot, it's FDR, Carter and Clinton ... and now Obama.

Posted by: familyzuber | August 4, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Obama .. you are not the one who controls who get's they keys .. the American People do. This is very revealing as to the thinking of this man. He's in control now and nobody is going to tell him what to do. ie He cares very little about what anyone else things, even if it is the majority of this nation. First of all, Government isn't about who has the keys, it's about group effort on how best to serve the American people interests. Secondly, it's not that others don't have new ideas, it's that you had no intention on doing anything other than what your ideas DICTATE.

Posted by: familyzuber | August 4, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Temp_1234

We actually might agree on more then you think.
My original post was aimed at the guy who said he wanted to vote ever Democrat out of office.
I would assume he wants Republicans back in.

I agree that Obama is not accomplishing everything he wants.
But I would also say that a lot of that has to do with Republicans blocking and watering down everything.

You have to wonder the motive of Republicans. Is it to keep the country form getting better just for their political gain? That would certainly be UN-American and one of many reasons to keep them out of power.
Ironically recently they attempted to block unemployment benefits for the very people they caused to be unemployed in the first place.

Posted by: meyrb42 | August 4, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

meyrb42,

Perhaps you need to go back and re-read my post. I simply stated that he was arrogant, now you could infer from that statement that I want the "same people" back in office. This is not the case, I just think anyone who starts calling everyone else stupid because they might not agree with them is being arrogant I don't care who you are.

That being said I'd take a true fiscal conservative (does not include most, if any, republicans) and a socially liberal candidate (truly does not include any republicans). Obama fits one side of the bill yet he has failed to deliver on gay marriage and gays in the military. He has not accomplished one social goal (though he may be trying, he is failing) in that regard and continues to spend money like it is going out of style. So to me he is just as good as the republicans.

Posted by: temp_1234 | August 4, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Temp_1234

I'm not arrogant.
I just use common sense.
Who in there right mind would want to put the same people back in office, that just caused the mess we are in economically, less then 2 years ago.
How is that anywhere near logical?

Posted by: meyrb42 | August 4, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

meyrb42,

I didn't say he has done anything horrible. Well I'd start with the time he gave the Kill On Sight order about that american citizen terrorist who was living over in the middle east. If Bush had done that oh, how you and your friends would have come out of the woodwork and protested it. Killing an American citizen without a trial is fine as long as Democrat does it.

This all doesn't change the fact that you are, indeed, arrogant.

Posted by: temp_1234 | August 4, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Temp_1234

Still couldn't answer my question could ya?

Rest my case.

Posted by: meyrb42 | August 4, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

meyrb42,

I love how if you don't agree with Obama it is only through your own intellectual shortcomings... i.e. if you don't agree with me it's because you are too stupid.

You are an arrogant prick too.

Posted by: temp_1234 | August 4, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

What an arrogant prick, as if it is his decision anyway. He'd like it to be, but it's not.

Posted by: temp_1234 | August 4, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Republicans are such idiots.
You all speak in Republican talking points.
Tell me one thing Obama has done that is bad. Specifically, not some brain washed sound bite.
I would love it if Obama could be in office for 20 years.
I will never vote for another Republican the rest of my life.
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...uh uh well..uh can't be fooled again.

Posted by: meyrb42 | August 4, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

The ideas of the current administration are not new, in fact Mau, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mussolini, etc. have all attempted the same things and we all know where they ended up. I just hope we can withstand the "new ideas" for another 2 years, if we can get him out in that amount of time.

Posted by: familyzuber | August 4, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I have been a democrat my entire voting life. And, until this year was a sheep like patriotgmalou and some of the other supporters of the current administration who post here. But no more. From this point forward, I will be an Independent. Eventually we have to remove the blinders and see everything that is happening. We can't keep betting on a losing horse and defending our poor betting decision. I voted for 'change' because the country couldn't take another George Bush in office. However, I had no idea just how bad Obama would be. I knew he didn't have experience, but I thought he had some good ideas. Most of his promises, I realized were pipe dreams and not even economically possible, but I wanted to give him a chance just the same. I didn't believe he could screw up that badly regardless of his youth and inexperience. I've since realized though that the problem is not JUST inexperience. President Obama doesn't seem to love America. Seriously. Maybe it's because he wasn't born on the mainland, but he actually sometimes appears to despise our country and it's sad. I am now embarrassed to have voted for him (but in my defense, there wasn't a viable alternative). Anyway, this November I will vote to remove every democrat from the House and Senate. Then in 2012 I will vote to remove the President. He's brought change the same way influenza does... sweeping problems for the worse. True Democrats have always been afraid of big government (aka: big brother) and this administration has made it bigger than ever. For some reason, we've lost our backbones and just accept it. We should be demonstrating on the White House lawn. The democrats in office now are not real democrats, not the radicals of the 60's who hated big government. No, those in Washington today are self-serving elitists who need to go - all of them. Lastly, let's stop voting lawyers into the presidency. Lawyers are deplorable as leaders. We need an experienced, business man as president who can actually do the job at hand.. managing this country in an effective way. Barrack Obama, I'm sorry to say, is far from that man, and is wa-a-a-y over his head.

Posted by: Dem_1979-2010 | August 4, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Did the President actually come up with this speech or did he rely (again) on his teleprompter? Sure a comedian can remember his lines and present it to his audience. Remember, this administration is the one who create the record deficit. This administration created waste spending with the stimulus spending that was to keep unemployment below 8%. The koolaid barrel is deep! Be careful and don't fall in.

Posted by: bulldawgrc | August 4, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

If only BP could develop a containment cap for Obamas mouth!

Lou
www.remain-anonymous.at.tc

Posted by: clermontpc | August 4, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I would like to present a question, and
challenge anyone to provide a viable answer. If, McCain and Palin had been elected, what would have been done differently thence, and where would we be as a nation?

Posted by: patriotgmalou

Can anyone honestly answer this question? No!!! Do we have a looking glass that let's us see an alternate reality? You might as well have asked What would the outcome of the civil war have been if Lincoln was not assassinated?
Come on people we need to stop seeing Obama detractors as being racist. Just because you can find a sign that shows that there are ignorant people in the tea parties does not mean that "everyone" is a racist. When Bush was in power and they had really nasty signs up about him did we call the race card? No! We need to stop seeing in color. The fact of the matter is that even African Americans have Obama detractors in their ranks.
What is wonderful about this country is that no matter your gender, race, or religious affiliation we all get to have the freedoms spoken of in the constitution and it's amendments.
Yes, I may have been born white, but that does not automatically make me a racist because I do not support Obama and think he is a pompous, self-promoting, petulant politician. Most of them are. I think we the people need to remember what the constitution was there to protect. US! from big governement takeovers. But like lemmings we have allowed the politicians to lead us into a false sense that we do not need to do anything but trust them. Scary!

Posted by: sharynfindependant | August 4, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I would like to present a question, and

Posted by: patriotgmalou

Can anyone actually answer this question honestly? Do we have an alternate reality looking glass that we can look into and know the answer honestly. What a stupid question. What would have been the outcome of the civil war if Lincoln had never been shot. That might as well be the question that you asked. Come on people open your brains and actually think before you speak.

Posted by: sharynfindependant | August 4, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

To suggest or imply that "Bush" policies are the only choice for the GOP or Republicans is amateur and childish not to mention a false choice. Most of obamas policies are in fact left over from Bush. So that nullifies the argument point right there. Going back to some semblance of a working constitutional government is the choice. You want socialism move. There are plenty of socialist nations to choose from. Find one that appeals to you and GO.

Posted by: Ruler4You | August 4, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ruler4You | August 4, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Some American voters voted to give the keys to someone who had NO EXPERIENCE in DRIVING AT ALL. Any 8 year old who has sold lemonade has MORE PRIVATE SECTOR JOB EXPERIENCE in MANAGEMENT THAT OBama!!!!!
It was like GIVING the KEYS to an ARROGANT 13 YEAR OLD who SAYS >>HE HAS READ ABOUT IT AND HAS GREAT THEORIES ON HOW TO DO IT>HE

Posted by: jhpoland1 | August 4, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jhpoland1 | August 4, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jhpoland1 | August 4, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

How long can this President blame the Bush years for his failures? I guess as long as foolish Americans will buy it. Bush ran us into a ditch and Obama is running us off a cliff. Both of them are at fault but guess what - Bush is not behind the wheel now. Obama is on the way to becoming Americas first dictator, so how can he do anything wrong? Please take away his keys before it's too late. He is already bypassing the House and Senate taking power. Your Freedom is next!

Posted by: sambird | August 4, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Bush and his elitist Republicans did more damage to this country than Vietnam, NASA and LBJ's New Society did all together.

Clinton had this country healed from all of that pain - and Bush blew it, with his inane tax cuts - especially the tax cuts for the wealthiest of Americans.

Wake up people.

Posted by: dflasphaler | August 4, 2010 2:01 AM | Report abuse

This president is a pompous, imperious, domineering, pontifical, pretentious, arrogant, supercilious, conceited, condescending, and patronizing jerk!

Posted by: btrask3 | August 4, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Obama, you do not have to worry about the American people getting amnesia. We remember:

a) More than 60 days went by before you met face-to-face with the president of BP

b) You and your wife promoted going to the Gulf to help the residents there, then you two went to a posh resort in Maine.

c) The people of the Gulf were begging for help but you thought it was more important to play golf seven times.

d) It has been 105 days and you have been to the Gulf Coast three times -- and you criticized George Bush for Katrina. You lose.

e) Even your Dem buddy Carville screamed at you that nothing was being done and you stayed In D.C. so you could hosT Elton John and other so-called elite.

The list runs on and on. So, do not concern your aloof head. THE AMERICAN PEOPLE WILL REMEMBER ON NOVEMBER 2, 2010.

Posted by: RonKH | August 3, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

For the moron democrats out there. GWB's congress was controlled by Democrats. They all voted for the Iraq war. All except Obama, He was incapable of deciding. Alan Greenspan( a Jew) and Congress(controlled by Democrats) was responsible for this economic 'mess'. But hey, at least every American and Illegal Immigrant could buy a house and drive a Hummer. We won't see those days anytime soon. BTW, no one was forced to buy homes. Shame there are so many morons(Democrats) that can't read mortgage contracts.

Posted by: markypolo | August 3, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

"md18-you and your ilk are exactly what is wrong with this country-blatant RACISM-you are a disgrace to all of us-shame on you-
however, due to your comment you have no shame-you're disgusting.

Posted by: patriotgmalou"

---------------
I guuess you say the same thing about the movie "White men can't Jump" or when Chis Rock say that White people cant dance or run fast? hmmmm.. or is a selective liberal use of the race card on your part that seems to have infected the Democrat party since Obama has infected the country?

Posted by: md18 | August 3, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Yes, the "You can't have the keys back" president is articulate and bright and he is a smart aleck and that is not what this nation needs or wants.

Posted by: Kansas28 | August 3, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

WHAT A FOOL WE HAVE FOR A PRESIDENT! THIS BOZO IS RUNNING THE COUNTRY INTO THE GROUND, BANKRUPTING US AND HE IS STRUTTING LIKE A COCK NOT AWARE THAT HE HAS BEEN CHOSEN FOR THE REJECT PILE OF HISTORY!
WHAT IS HIS IDEA OF CHANGE? RUNNING UP THE DEFICIT AND DEBT TO UNSUSTAINABLE LEVELS SO HE CAN THEN TAX US INTO THIRD WORLD STATUS? GOD SAVE US FROM THIS CLOWN! I REALLY MISS HILLARY AND WISH THAT SHE WOULD HAVE WON. I DON'T TRUST HER EITHER, BUT ANYONE WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER THAT OBAMA! CHARLIE SHEEN WOULD HAVE MADE A BETTER PRESIDENT!

Posted by: THETRUTHGIVER | August 3, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

patriotgmalou, IF McCain/Palin would have been elected they wouldn't have done the "stimulus" the way Obama did(all backloaded as a way to tey and get himself reelected)

they would have done pro-growth strategies

lowered income or even partially remove income taxes on people making under $80,000(these are the people that have been hardest hit, letting these people keep more of their own money will keep more of them from defaulting on their homes and keep them viable), lowered taxes, both corporate and capital gains taxes, tax incentives for hiring and investment into business and expansion and rebuilding(these are all designed and geared to create new jobs), open offshore drilling, McCain wanted at least 100 new nuclear reactors, and thats more jobs to build all those factories and rigs not to mention the fulltime employment that it would created after they are done.

Obama's economic policy is backwards for economic growth as companies and job creation are like water and seek the path of least resistance to where they believe profit and a healthy business environment exists.

Posted by: md18 | August 3, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

The economy went in the tank right after the dems took control of Congress. Facts are so inconvenient sometimes aren't they?

Posted by: standard_guy | August 3, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: standard_guy | August 3, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Please tell President Obama that the keys are not his to take or give, just like they were not Bush's.

The keys belong to the American people. The American people are the ones who will correct the course we are on, if they so choose.

Posted by: fallenstar2005 | August 3, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Obama and the Democrats that were in the Majority in Congress during the Bush Admin Drove the Economy into the ditch! They spent to much money! And They did NOTHING to rein in Fannie Mae And Freddy Mac when they had the chance refusing and actively blocked several Republican pleas and legislation to solve the situation !

Posted by: md18 | August 3, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

atthun-remember what? Your name calling of the President is abhorrent. Which branch of the teabaggers are you in? Ya
got a bone in the nose placard too? Why don't ya put in in your front yard, see
what your neighbors REMEMBER. Sure glad ya don't live next door to me. Oh, had that
white cloak in your closet cleaned lately?

Posted by: patriotgmalou | August 3, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

You had six of the eight Bush years to do all of the same things that you want to do now and you didn't. I don't think that you all understand that no one will has forgotten the Bush years.If for some reason that you get power again (like most of the democrats are called home to Heaven) I make this promise, we who may be left will pull you out of the ditch again.

Posted by: yerbyv | August 3, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow, can you believe Obama, he takes no responsibility for the economy? Did Obama forget that he came to us and said if you give me $800,000,000,000.00 unemployment will not go over 8%? The problem is millions of Americans have fallen off the records, the real unemployment rate is nearly 20%. I am a Democrat who is under employed, Obama is a complete failure as a President. He has screwed up health care, immigration, unemployment, Taxes, and turned whtat was a great country into a 3rd world Nation.

Posted by: Richie5 | August 3, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

HLCDB-yeah right, and the juggernaut behind
Bush was ??????

Posted by: patriotgmalou | August 3, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Obhahama is all about HOAX and CHAINS..Don't kid yourself, Mr. President, WE WILL REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER.

Posted by: atthun | August 3, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

however, due to your comment you have no shame-you're disgusting.

Posted by: patriotgmalou | August 3, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

In this age of soundbites, it is not difficult to discover the truth. obama has a problem with the truth. His career has been one big lie after another from the beginning. When will America wake up and realize that our current administration is not working for us?. In my 57 years of life, I have never seen such a display of arrogance and disregard for we the people. Don't forget that he is only one man and there is a bigger machine behind him pushing the agenda. Neither party is serving the people anymore. Could this be why the Tea Party became so strong?

Change in November will not come soon enough for me.

Posted by: HLCDB | August 3, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Sierra BW, it took me all of two seconds to find a Tea Party placard showing Obama with a bone through his nose...

Since the first point of your rightwing screed has now been proven to be a lie, I can only assume the rest of it is, too, and you can be completely ignored. Go back to World Nut Daily.

Posted by: mnroush | August 3, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

And the winner is MD18 for the most stupid comment of the day. What happen they let you off early from McDonalds? Watching people ride around in a circle as fast as they can and hoping for a accident, yeah that real entertainment......stupid.

Posted by: yerbyv | August 3, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Black people dont know how to drive, how maybe blacks do you see in NASCAR? NONE

Posted by: md18 | August 3, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: md18 | August 3, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Go back by yourself flower child. You problably still have your clothes from the 60's. you know bell bottoms and go go boots. Most of us are trying to go forward. If you and other republikans stop being obstructionist we may just be able to restore our economy and our pride in our country. Maybe you liked being the most hated, mistrusted people in the world with a history of holding people in slavery and invading foreign lands. People who want to go back are people who are scared of the future. The first time I voted for was Bill Clinton, because I'm still waiting for the prosperity to trickle down from when Reagan was elected. If you think that you can evoke those same policies that made the rich richer and kept the poor in their place, you got another think coming. Pitiful how facts get re-written. So you go back, see ya.

Posted by: yerbyv | August 3, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

ph3rv8-I agree with you, Obama seems secure in his own governance, and will undoubtedly stay the course of his agenda,
quietly and steadfastly keeping his eye on his own ball. He has a long time to remain in charge, and if need be can veto if he feels necessary. I have not underestimated him, and will not, what you describe is exactly what the repukicans can not tolerate, and why they are so desperate to
unseat him and the afore mentioned agenda.
It ain't workin', it ain't gonna work. We
remain just as steadfast in our support of
him, and you and I are just two of the millions who still believe in his ability to change this country. God Bless ya!!

Posted by: patriotgmalou | August 3, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I PRAY "to go back" to 4% unemployment, 1,400 stock market, and national debt under a trillion. You know, before 2006 when the demonkrats took over congress and started passing out no qualifying loans, etc., and 2008 before BH O'Carter took over and proceeded to destroy not only our economy but our Republic. Bring on the "go back" thingy.

Posted by: IQ168 | August 3, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

gfafblifr What you just said doesn't even make sense. First of all democrats did not win the majority until 2006. Second, congress didn't force banks to make mortgages to people who couldn't afford them, greedy bankers did. The derivatives market were the result again of greedy investments companies betting on people to lose. Finally, do you remember the repeal of the glass steagall act. Some of you obviously have mistaken the readers of this partisan news machine as people who don't read anything else. Whew! I'm amazed at the amount of bull puckey that you republicans spew. You're a bigger spill than the oil spill in the gulf.

Posted by: yerbyv | August 3, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I would like to present a question, and

Posted by: patriotgmalou | August 3, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

What caused the current recession? It was the credit crunch when the banks found themselves without funding to continue their businesses. How did it happen? It certainly wasn't just George Bush or Barack Obama. In fact, it was congress who years ago passed laws which forced banks to grant loans that people would not be able to repay. So derivatives which included multiple mortgages were developed and sold to each other with Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac ending up with the worst ones. In the end, it was congress critters such as Barney Frank and Chris Dodd who created this mess. See, it's this way. Obama is the one who is forgetting where it started. The Community Reinvestment Act was where this started. It has just taken a long time to get to the bubble burst point. BTW, Bush and McCain both warned of this in 2003(I think it was).
So what did the democrats do when they got the power? They took Bush's spending which was upsetting people and put it on steroids and they wonder why the people started demonstrating. So, who put the car in the ditch?

Posted by: gfafblifr | August 3, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

No one should think it's business as usual with President Obama. He has his agenda and a lot of it stuffed into the pipeline, and he seems not at all to be concerned about what the polls and some of his nervous partisans seem to be saying. None should underestimate him.

Posted by: phvr38 | August 3, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

dschoen1 maybe you should learn how to choose "key words". I used "tea party obama witchdoctor" and got "About 3,170 results (0.17 seconds)".

Posted by: MasterOfSparks | August 3, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

SierraBW, if you only watch FOX No News you won't see them. Where were you during the healthcare town halls. Did you go back to your home planet? Have you ever seen people open carry weapons to any other presidential event? Heard of google?

Posted by: yerbyv | August 3, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

To hear conservatives tell it the Dems somehow managed to crash the economy in less than 2 years by passing an education bill for returning vets and a program to extend health care to children. They claim that Bush had nothing to do with it. Conservatives have so much disdain for science that the concept of cause and effect goes completely over their heads. And what will they have to offer if they ever do get back in? Nothing but more excuses for their failures. Three days after Obama took office these whackadoodles were saying Obama shouldn't keep blaming Bush for the economic melt down. Though they spent about 5 years blaming Clinton for Bush's failures. How long do you think they will blame Obama for not solving their mess? Conservatism is clearly a mental disorder.

Posted by: MasterOfSparks | August 3, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SierraBW | August 3, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

“placards carried by TEA PARTIERS that depict the President with a bone driven through his nose”

Ah no, could you please provide a real link to something that supports your claim?
I searched images on the following and found NO, ZERO, NADA, ZIPO images of placards carried by TEA PARTIERS that depict the President with a bone driven through his nose.

“placards carried by TEA PARTIERS + Obama + bone driven through his nose”

As many times I have heard this claim you would think there would be thousands of examples, strange I found none.

“being akin to Hitler”

LOL, oh please name a President since 1958 that hasn’t been depicted as “Hitler”?

BTW, the placards you are citing are from Lyndon LaRouche (D) democrat, you can find them at his pac. Larouche pac . com

Please provide some evidence to support your claim, lest you sound like a “Jurnolist” parrot.

Posted by: dschoen1 | August 3, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

thebump-regimes require a ruler-United States Presidents are ELECTED-the majority
ELECTED President Obama, and the majority will NOT vote repukican in 90 days.

Posted by: patriotgmalou | August 3, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

to JRobertDay: Where do you get your distorted reality from - I have some guesses. If you really believe that Obama is the most partisan president you've ever known you are completely ignorant or sadly misinformed. Do your homework - it's very easy to find real information. You probably think Obama's not a US citizen too.

Posted by: WasGOPnowFree | August 3, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Looks like you conveniently left out 700,000 jobs per month that were lost in 2008. Looks like you conveniently left out the 10 billion dollars a month on two wars that were removed from the National budget at the time that we invaded Iraq on a Bush and Chaney lies and don't forget Rumsfeld. Oh yea! don't forget about the little financial melt down in 2008. Memory clearing up a little bit now? Looks like fuzzy math to me. You might want go back recalculate with the real figures and not those you conveniently left out. Maybe your calculator rejects facts like you. I can make the numbers say anything I want if I make them up.

Posted by: yerbyv | August 3, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I would venture a guess-all of us who voted for Obama knew how dangerous the
repukican party was and is-we still do-we will NEVER forget what transpired from 2000-2008, nor can we ignore the devastation engulfing our country due to the failed policies of that grievous den of theives. They stole our pride in our country, along with thousands of lives,
and the American dream. Their thievery
continues today, it will take many years for us as a nation to recover. And, if the
criminals get control again, we will never recover. The repukicans are the ones who
have amnesia, or are simply brain lavaged.

Posted by: patriotgmalou | August 3, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

After watching what Obama did to Arizona with SB1070 there are many angry voters just waiting to get at Democratic candidates come November. We may have to wait two more years to vote Obama out but we can destroy his majority within the next few months. I have a terrific Congressional Rep Gabrielle Giffords but she is a Democrat. Although I have crossed party lines to vote for her in the past that won't be happening this time. I won't be voting for any Democrats come November. From dogcatcher to Senate race I will punish every Democrat for the stupidity of Obama on immigration.

Posted by: Desertdiva1 | August 3, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Obama's speech was a little like Foster Brooks saying to W.C. Fields: "You're too drunk to Drive!"

Posted by: vince33x | August 3, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vince33x | August 3, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

The Oboobma regime is a job-killing machine.

Posted by: thebump | August 3, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Yep, lets make sure the public remembers the “Bush Policies”

ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.requests/lf/aa2006/aat1.txt

2008 5.8 79,501
2009 9.3 81,659

Worst year with Bush and Dem Congress
2008, unemployment 5.8%

Best year with Bush and Dem Congress
2007, unemployment 4.6%

Note: this is the start of the Dem takeover. Half the year was wasted on Dem patting themselves on the back. After that its all down hill.

Worst/Best year with Obama and Dem Congress
2009, unemployment 9.3%

Yep, lets make sure the public remembers the “Bush Policies”

With Bush Unemployment 4.53 avg

Posted by: dschoen1 | August 3, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Things are certainly better than they were from 2000 - 2008. It was stupid inarticulate and arrogance that put us on this road in the first place with the help of folks like you.

Posted by: yerbyv | August 3, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Too bad this administration is driving this country off a cliff. Articulate, bright and clean, does not put jobs back, and food on the table. Things are not getting better they are getting worst in many places.

Posted by: greenstheman | August 3, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

jrobertday -- you didn't really respond to me. But then, given your seeming misunderstanding of the word "baffled" I'm not surprised. What can you say, since everything I've said is true!

Posted by: SierraBW | August 3, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

First of all they are all allegations not indictments. But I guess in your world inmanorj innocent until proven guilty does mean anything unless we're talking about Senator Ensign and Govenor Mark Sanford. I could go on and on match you republican for democrat on people who are corrupt in government, but I wouldn't even go there with ignorant people. Why don't you go get your gun, ugly signs and funky slogans and go where you belong at a tea party rally or is that the tea bagger rally.

Posted by: yerbyv | August 3, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

"Hurts doesn't it, to have a intelligent, well spoken, young, enthusiastic man who happens to be black as the President"...yerbvy
I rather liked Joe Biden's description of Obama better: "articulate, bright and clean" (I especially like the "clean" part)

JaJaJaJaJa!

Posted by: davidwestafa | August 3, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

SierraBW, after reading your comments I must concur with you, you are indeed baffled!

Posted by: jrobertday | August 3, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

jlburr -- if liberal socialists are running the country into the ground now, who was running it into the ground when GWBush was in the WH and the GOP ran Congress? Do labels matter under such circumstances? We still have a disaster! Remember everyone -- it took 8 years to get us into this mess -- it's going to take some time to get us out. A mere 2 years is hardly sufficient! Give him time. And remember, Republicans are at the helm of most businesses -- how do we know they are not deliberately refusing to hire until their man is in the WH again? I put nothing past the party of LEE ATWATER, whose spirit lives in the hearts and minds of most every member of the GOP. They are still playing his dirty tricks!

Posted by: SierraBW | August 3, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Forget the President for a moment and look at who holds the "purse strings". Most Presidents do no get their budgets passed, it is the Congress that makes financial policies. Under Reagan the Democratic Congress spent the tax cut revenues wildly. Clinton was poised to be a tax and spender until voters woke up, faced with Government Health Care, and voted in a Republican Congress. They gave us the first surplus budget in years and continued to do so until we elected the Democratic Congress under Bush when the spending once more exploded. One final note, I am 60 years old and I have never seen the President of the United States that was so blatantly partisan and governed exclusively the fringe wing of one party. Obama has irreparably divided our country and bankrupted our economy and those are indisputable facts. In November, we can change our ways with a Republican House and Senate. Wake up again America!

Posted by: jrobertday | August 3, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey yerbvy, yeah man, I agree with you. Just think, a black woman president! I'm kinda thinking a Maxine Waters/Charlie Rangel ticket. Whatcha think?
(JaJaJaJa)

Posted by: davidwestafa | August 3, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

"Here comes the orator! With his flood of words and his drop of reason". - Benjamin Franklin

Posted by: inmanorj | August 3, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Mr/Ms independent inmanorj, you don't have to make excuses to vote republican. You've always been a republican just too ashamed to admit it.

Posted by: yerbyv | August 3, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

My goodness, will Obama's tiresome duplicity never end?

Over and over and over again, he makes partisan speeches while hypocritically bemoaning the lack of bi-partisanship. Just last week, Obama sanctimoniously complained about those who engage in permanent campaigns, while he was making a campaign speech himself.

Other than campaigning and delegating his duties to Reid and Pelosi, what precisely has Obama done except pedantically lecture the country as if he were a philosopher king and we were benighted little people.

In truth, Obama is nothing more than a ceremonial president who plays golf, bows to foreign leaders, and takes vacations, while millions of Americans are unemployed or underemployed.

It is time for Obama to face reality. Blaming Bush and the Republicans no longer cuts it. Obama should either govern this country or just plain shut up.

Posted by: mmcsorley | August 3, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

The GOP is telling the electorate that if they retake control of both houses of Congress and the Presidency that they are going to improve on their last performance -- make it worse. They are intent on privatizing SOCIAL SECURITY, and raising the retirement age. What will we do with those people who have to wait yet more years to receive their SS, and meanwhile can't find work!? Understand that the GOP is going to do whatever is best for themselves and their business owning cronies -- not the Middle Class. Vote for them in 2012 and they will take that vote as a MANDATE TO DO WHATEVER THEY PLEASE. How can anybody take them as being serious keepers of the keys when they do not feel in any way compassionate about the mess they caused? I'm baffled!

Posted by: SierraBW | August 3, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

It's still the economy! Unless jobs and housing pictures start to improve significantly [not to mention earnings on Individual Retirement Accounts], both parties are going to have a difficult time convincing the electorate that incumbents should remain in office. Rhetoric from either side only goes so far, as do ideas. It will take more than both to get voter support.

Posted by: sober1 | August 3, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

liberal socialists are running this country into the gutter, and we've had enough. your hope and change is nothing more than a power grab.
we will be taking back the keys in November!

Posted by: jlburr | August 3, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I am an Independent but will vote straight Republican in November and 2012. I am disgusted with Obama's snide/snarky remarks and his childish refusal to accept responsibility for failed policies, unemployment rate, and sinking economy. Continuing to point fingers and blame Bush is trite, most tiring. Obama is a failed leader, only interested in promoting agendas in the vain attempt to create a legacy for himself.

Posted by: inmanorj | August 3, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Hurts doesn't it, to have a intelligent, well spoken, young, enthusiastic man who happens to be black as the President. He already won the election and there's not a thing you can do about it except talk. You have no new ideas, no new half as qualified candidates to run against him. And yes, Republicans did run the economy in the ditch and start two wars, allowed corporate America to rape the land, water and air. Now, you just sit back and complain that President Obama is not fixing your mess fast enough. While you are sleeping, the most sweeping legislation in the world has been passed without any of you. His legacy will greater than any other President. You will respect him, your children will respect him, your grandchildren will read about him with awe and it's killing. I laugh at you neanderthals. I know what will really mess you up, maybe the next President will be a black woman. Ha ha ha ha ha.

Posted by: yerbyv | August 3, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

My work partner just said:

"They can't pay the bills...so we'll just foreclose on their house."

Posted by: BluePelican | August 3, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Blah, blah, blah. Blah, blah, blah. Obama's little smart remarks won't matter soon. We're not asking for the keys back;in November we're going to TAKE them back. JaJaJaJaJaJaJaJa (laughing en espanol)

Posted by: davidwestafa | August 3, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I am really disgusted by both parties, but Obama put the icing on the cake; that icing is spoiled. Obama and his predecessor Bush just mouth the words for their "Puppet Masters". Everytime a Democratic or Republican moves their lips, you know that they are lying!! The only Republican I trust in the Congress is Ron Paul, a true conservative, in every sense of the word, the others are mostly neo-cons. When the American public finally gets tired of these leftists and neo-cons and votes to replace them, that is the day we start to bring our country back from the brink of social and financial collapse!!

Posted by: sarasota1 | August 3, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I don't need keys, I've got size 11 boots.

Posted by: BluePelican | August 3, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

WE ARE NOT AFTER THE KEYS. WE ARE MORE INTERESTED IN TAKINGS OUR COUNTRY BACK AND IF THE CITIZENS HAVE AWAKEN TO ALL THOSE CHANGES YOU PROMISED,IT WILL HAPPEN IN NOV.

Posted by: jackwbarnes1 | August 3, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Please tell this scholar of the constition that giving up the keys is not up to him!

Posted by: sandiego1969 | August 3, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Furthermore, since you people are intent on behaving as though our current president is responsible for this mess, should he sit still and let that lie sink in, or make it perfectly clear on whose watch this catastrophe began? No matter what people say about Obama appearing petty, when John Kerry did not immediately refute the claims of the Swiftboaters, he lost his bid to become President. Say what you will, petty -- doesn't matter. Who wants the blame for something of which they are not responsible. ALL OF THE DEMOCRATS SHOULD REFUTE IT. It doesn't take name calling (a la the GOP), just the facts!

Posted by: SierraBW | August 3, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Please tell this scholar of the constitution the giving the keys back is not up to him!

Posted by: sandiego1969 | August 3, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sandiego1969 | August 3, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sandiego1969 | August 3, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I am not a Dem nor a Rep, but as an American I am ashamed at what I read here in these comments. Did we learned to be civiled and respectful in school?

Posted by: Terminator2 | August 3, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

AKEEGAN, I guess you haven't seen the placards carried by TEA PARTIERS that depict the President with a bone driven through his nose, calling him a witch doctor and as being akin to Hitler. But you speak of the President as being a race baiter! You are exactly where you belong -- in the perenially out to lunch party, who no matter what damage they do to the country, still have a sense that they are ENTITLED to run this country.

Posted by: SierraBW | August 3, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Haters all of you!!!!! You can't believe we elected President Obama, but you do understand the you elected George W Bush, the worst president in the history of not only America, but the world. You must like idiots like Palin with her inside of a match book degree. Please!!! that's what all losers say when they lose. What will you say when you lose again in 2012.

Posted by: yerbyv | August 3, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

AKEEGAN, I guess you haven't seen the placards carried by TEA PARTIERS that depict the President with a bone driven through his nose, calling him a witch doctor and as being akin to Hitler. But you speak of the President as being a race baiter! You are exactly where you belong -- in the perrenially out to lunch party, who no matter what damage they do to the country, still have a sense that they are ENTITLED to run this country.

Posted by: SierraBW | August 3, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Funny the President would suggest not returning the keys for someone else to drive. When all he's done is put the car in neutral, hit the gas pedal and pay for the gas on our credit card.....

Posted by: stu22 | August 3, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

davidbronx, news flash -- Bush isn't president anymore. He doesn't matter except to historians. Obama's job is to solve today's problems not to deflect blame back to his predecessor. Trying to do so makes him appear petty and weak. Which, unfortunately, he is.

Posted by: eoniii | August 3, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Remember those words well., Mr President
YOU! don't get back the keys in 2012...
For the First time in my life I am a shame
to have you as President....You have set Americans against Americans.. and use raceism as reason....When will you and others like you learn WE ARE ALL AMERICANS. Color or Creed makes no differece

Posted by: akeegan2 | August 3, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: eoniii | August 3, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Remember those words well., Mr President
YOU! don't get back the keys in 2012...
For the First time in my life I am a shame

Posted by: akeegan2 | August 3, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

How in the world is a Republican going to speak to the President not being a UNIFIER, when he has held meetings with the GOP, asked them to support his initiatives for the good of the country, and still they think they deserve him to waste yet more time groveling at the feet of a party that glories in the groveling, but who never intends to be supportive -- no matter the cost to their own NO NEW IDEAS agenda! This President has striven to unify the parties and the country. Now, he no longer has time for a group of self-serving individuals who -- in this great time of need for most Americans, can only put forth more of the same -- TAX CUTS FOR THE WEALTH, CONTINUED UNEMPLOYMENT AND EVEN POVERTY FOR THE MIDDLE CLASS! And on top of that atrocity, the continued suggestion that we let them manage SOCIAL SECURITY!

Posted by: SierraBW | August 3, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

No, the REPUBLICANS have not stopped CAMPAIGNING since the lost congress, the senate and the presidency.

The pathetic president was Bush! Thanks to him we have two wars, one of which he was warned about and failed to react to and the other he started for grins and giggles.

You're right the conservatives are banking on their idiot constituents to believe the crap they feed them and to have total amnesia.

Bush's wars drove the deficit higher than it's ever been, Bush's tax cuts to the wealthiest people in 2003 added insult to injury and drove the deficit even higher.

Bush's regime allowed 911 to happen even after being warned that it might happen.

Bush's regime and congress spent 8 years blaming everything on Clinton as though the previous twelve years with Bush and Reagan didn't do enough damage.

The conservatives tend to forget it's their economic policies that got us into this economic mess not to mention that that their WAR policies brought our military to thread bare.

So where to the posters here get their anger from...the very amnesia or denial that Obama talks about.

And don't tell me about acting presidential when you had a president who could barely read, said "bring it on" with a swagger as though he was playing "cowboys and Indians" as a child and continue ready a story book to children as the World Trade Towers were being attacked!

Stop watching FOX news propaganda and see what's really going on this country. If you only getting your news from Palin, Rush and FOX then you are woefully ignorant and uninformed.

Posted by: davidbronx | August 3, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

He's doing a great job driving the bus for the Communist Party and world socialism. As far as America goes it isn't looking like he is driving at all, but has yet to get out of the garage.

He claims he inherited a mess, but he's the one who said he wanted the job and had the plan that would fix this. America was stupid because they thought he would fix it for our benefit instead of the benefit of his fellow ruling class socialists.

The coming mid-term will be about putting an end to the socialist experiment and moving towards accountability so that this coming spring the impeachment process can start and we can be rid of his failures altogether. By that time, his popularity will be so low that anyone who votes to keep him in 2012 will be an election target and we will only need a few more seats in the Senate and we can put an end to the entire agenda.

That's a drive worth making.

Posted by: rainmaker1145 | August 3, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

This man doesn't even talk or comport himself like a President.

He baits and attacks the other primary party.

I have a newsflash for him!

A President is a UNIFIER.

Yes, a President is the head of their own party, but they are the President of ALL AMERICANS, not just their own party!

To stoop to baiting and attacking the other party is EXTREMELY un-Presidential!

It's even childish, yes, childish.

The Presidents of the past would NEVER had made soundbytes such as these about the other party while in office. While campaigning to get elected, yes, but not while holding the office.

A President is a UNIFIER, not some spoiled "we-won-and-you-didn't" child.

How can you lead the whole country when you're mocking half of it?

Posted by: jonklement | August 3, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Does Obama know that we can tell when he is lying to us? Does he understand that we can go to youtube and various news outlets and check his words?

Does he know that we can check the roll calls in Congress and read how he voted and what he voted for (when he voted) to see his and others in Congress's culpability in this wrecked economy?

Does he think he now lives in an insular bubble of fairy dust and unicorns? Does he really think we are all stupid?

I am really worried about his grip on reality...

Posted by: fallenstar2005 | August 3, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

This guy is really pathetic. He has no clue how to act like a president. Slow Joe should be the one engaging in cheap partisan attacks, not the POTUS. No wonder his approval ratings are around 40%.

Do your job, schmuck. Stop trashing your predecessor and man up.

Posted by: eoniii | August 3, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Do your job, schmuck. Stop trashing your predecessor and man up.

Posted by: eoniii | August 3, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

This is perhaps the single biggest lie/myth the democrats and Obama continue to perpetuate.

The policies of Bush brought us out of a massive recession after 9/11. They put people back to work, created jobs and a thriving economy with low unemployment.

Tax cuts (not just for the rich, as liberals lie about constantly...but for everyone that pays taxes) that Bush put in place, that are in jeopardy now, set three years of consecutive record revenue hauls to the IRS. Imagine that...when you cut taxes, more people are put to work and the feds get more money from taxable income.

The "policies" that caused this "mess" were those of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, of which the Bush administration repeatedly warned about, but that democrats ignored and even went so far as to suggest it wasn't even a problem.

The policies of democrats that forced banks to give loans to people were were not fiscally qualified to receive them is what caused the collapse of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, which as we all remember, was the cause of this massive "mess" we are in.

The media has been complicit in this cover up, failing to report, failing to take to task and all but covering it up.

In essence, the American people elected the very same people that created this mess (democrats and their "social justice" policies), to clean it up, and they've only made it worse.

Can't have the keys back? You should have never been given the keys to create this mess in the first place, Obama.

Posted by: HughGKnutts | August 3, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

It is because Obama drove us into the ditch, and did not help to get us out, that he won't get the keys back. Simple as that! REMEMBER NOVEMBER!

Posted by: Tommypie | August 3, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Obama is a liar.

Luke 10:16
...if you are dishonest in little
things, you won't be honest with greater responsibilities.

Dems took control of congress on election day Nov ‘06. The last budget the GOP passed and Bush signed had a deficit of ~$160B , 1/10 of the current one. Unemployment was about 5%, about 1/2 what we have today. The stock market was approaching all time highs, now the Dow is at a 10 year water line about 40% off its all time high.
Since spending originates in the house, Bush had to sign the Dem budgets or veto them and stop the government. The lie that Dems have had nothing to do with the economy that existed when Obama took the White House has been fostered by a media in the tank for Dems. Obama himself voted for the Dem budgets and their deficits as well as bills which are at least partially responsible for the economy.
Honest information was purposefully kept from the public until the lies became accepted knowledge.

Posted by: rfpzzzzz | August 3, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it amazing that this country elected such a person to our highest office? Really!

Posted by: BillCarson2 | August 3, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

The government is like a cab driver, you pay them to take you where you want to go. The Republicans took us in the ditch a few times, but the Democrats aren't even taking us in the direction we asked.

Posted by: armarm02 | August 3, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I believe the Democrats have been driving since January 2007, when they took control of Congress, a fact our President/Campaigner in Chief seems to conveniently forget.

Posted by: mbs235 | August 3, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure a carjacking story is the metaphor he was reaching for...but it is an apt comparison.

By the way...attacking Bush? Really? 18 months into his presidency? Is this wise?

When does he start accepting responsibility for his actions?

Posted by: bamboozle1 | August 3, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I'll agree with the President, but only to a certain extent. I believe people know what the Republicans did before. I believe the Republicans know what they did before and, if they do it again, it will be a short stint in power.

Obama's big problem, the public knows how the Democrats drove this bus and they aren't happy with it. The voters are hoping the Republicans can drive better than the Democrats.

If the Republicans try to out-Democrat the Democrats, they'll lose again in 2 years, if the do the right thing, they'll increase their margins in 2 years. The Democrats have really forced people to rethink about voting for them at all. These past 2 years haven't been about a political party governing, they've been about a political party ruling and people don't like it.

Posted by: bflat879 | August 3, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

obama definately knows about amnesia. he's broken every single promise he made to independents, moderates and conservatives since taking office. obama once said you "cant govern" with the "Karl Rove 50 plus 1 strategy". instead, his presidency is animated by a "saul alinsky 50 minus 6 or 8, give or take" strategy.

Posted by: dummypants | August 3, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

ok, if nothing else this guy knows how to annoy people.

Posted by: dummypants | August 3, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Interesting to hear such comments from the chairman of the DNC, Barry H Obama.

Too bad he's not the President of the United States.

Barry insults the intelligence of us daily. No one with any sense or useful education, has any faith any of his antiquated, failed ideas are going to work and then they don't.

I have absolutely no respect, use or regard for this guy, he's nothing to me.

Posted by: NoDonkey | August 3, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I'd just be happy if Obama could take off the training wheels. You would think after 20 months he'd know how to pedal and steer.

roflmao

Posted by: donabernathy | August 3, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Good Lord, he has been doing this "don't give them the keys back" thing for quite a while now. I'm surprised he still stutters and fumbles in his delivery. He should listen to his own speech since he makes the point that the Dems have been in charge since 2006. I can't believe I'm saying this but listening to him is almost as annoying as listening to Bush was.

Posted by: meander11 | August 3, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Obama, start governing, stop campaigning. This is so incredibly tiresome.

Posted by: masonjahr | August 3, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

gObama!

Posted by: wiz_fan | August 3, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Liberals have driven the damn car off the cliff.

Posted by: johnhiggins1990 | August 3, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

This is like a terrible driver who holds the car keys telling another terrible driver that they're terrible.

Someone else needs to drive, the American people are tired of sitting in the ditch. It's true that we might get more terrible drivers into office, but keeping the same ones that we have now, GUARANTEES that we'll still be in the ditch in November.

I'm ready to take the chance with someone else behind the wheel. Considering the polls numbers for everyone in question, I'm not the only one with this opinion.

Posted by: Geepers1 | August 3, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

What's really sad is that the car the Republicans drove into the ditch was a Cadillac, but by the time the Dems pulled it back out the GOP had turned it into a Chevy Vega. And now the GOP wants to wreck that one too.

Posted by: whatmeregister | August 3, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Good to see a solid GOP offense here in the belly of the beast; keep up the good work!

Posted by: clawrence12 | August 3, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Is this guy a candidate or the president of the united states? As another commenter posted, dems started driving in 2007 when Congressional Democrats(including then-Senator Obama) proceeded to increase the spending from $2.77 trillion to $3.8 trillion.
Un-employment is not being addressed as capital formation is stagnant and uncertainty regarding new taxes , regulations, and mandates drives small business to keep payrolls low.
This guy and his party are human wrecking balls for the economy and deserve to be thrown out in 2010 and 2012

Posted by: cmdriker | August 3, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

The Dems think the way to get out of the ditch is to blow up the car.

Posted by: regularguy57 | August 3, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

There will be a whole new breed of drivers coming to Washington this November. And they will not need Obama's keys, they shall bring with them the keys that the people have entrusted to them. They will know how to drive because WE THE PEOPLE have tested them. They will be driving a bright shiny new car and in the back seat will be bright shiny new ideas for job creation, spending caps, and health care reform that involves doctors and the Hippocratic oath. So let Obama keep his crappy keys, like a little kid who doesn't want to share, all whiny and crying. Keep those baby keys Obama!

Posted by: jondos | August 3, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I do believe that the head of "Hoax 'N Change" must live in Fantasyland if he expects the people to continue to believe his favorite lies.....

Posted by: DL13 | August 3, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Not just that, johnL1, but Obama is just plain wrong about the GOP not offering one "single, solitary new idea" (there have been many):

e.g. http://www.roadmap.republicans.budget.house.gov/

Posted by: clawrence12 | August 3, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Congress controls the Purse Strings.
Obama was an important member of the ruling party in Congress, from 2006 until his election.
Obama and the Democratic leadership of Congress are just as much to blame for the debt and deficits and other problems (housing crisis, anyone?) as President Bush.
For Obama to continually focus on Bush as the sole cause of all problems, and ignore his own Senatorial career, and that of his party, is LYING.

Posted by: johnL1 | August 3, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse