Ad of the day: N.C. candidate Ellmers refers to Ground Zero 'victory mosque'

Nurse Renee Ellmers (R) has gone up with an ad that places the mosque near Ground Zero in New York at the center of her campaign against Rep. Bob Etheridge (D-N.C.).

"After the Muslims conquered Jerusalem and Cordoba and Constantinople, they built victory mosques and now they want to build a mosque near Ground Zero," says an announcer. The video features paintings depicting the various conquests and slasher movie-style theme music. "Where does Bob Etheridge stand, he won't say, won't speak out, won't take a stand," the announcer continues.

Ellmers chimes in, "The terrorists haven't won, and we should tell them in plain English, 'No, there will never be a mosque at Ground Zero.'" The ad is likely to earn Ellmers some free media coverage.

Ellmers has been endorsed by former Alaska governor Sarah Palin, and is running for a seat Democrats are likely to hold, although Etheridge generated his own YouTube moment when he grabbed a reporter outside the Capitol.

(Via Hotline On Call)

More:
The Rough Sketch: Top five freak outs
Campaign 2010: The North Carolina-2 race

By Emi Kolawole  | September 22, 2010; 11:10 AM ET
Categories:  Ad of the day  | Tags:  Ad of the day
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Saxby Chambliss investigating whether staffer left gay slur
Next: Murkowski left in place as top committee Republican

Comments

Even though I am okay the with the Islamic center, I respect the opinions of those who are opposed to it. But when you come up with an illogical argument like Renee Ellmers, I lack respect. I just saw Ellmers on AC360, and her reasons were very very weak and pretty close minded. Suggesting Muslims are terrorists is flat out wrong, because you are judging 1.6 billion people. Using her logic, St. Peter Basilica is a "victory church" and King Solomon building a temple is wrong. She said in AC360 that (paraphrase) she is representing NC District 2 who are good christian people; great that you excluded everyone else. With points she made she, she should not even get into politics. Its no surprise that people abroad look at us Americans as ignorant intolerant people (I have heard this myself as a i have lived abroad)

All religions have gone through struggle and felt excluded; Evangelicals, Catholics, and Jews have gone through it (its like a game of tag). Its unfortunate that Muslims are under attack, but hopefully we move on like in the past.

Posted by: Deema | September 24, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Deema | September 24, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Even though I am okay the with the Islamic center, I respect the opinions of those who are opposed to it. But when you come up with an illogical argument like Renee Ellmers, I lack respect. I just saw Ellmers on AC360, and her reasons were very very weak and pretty close minded. Suggesting Muslims are terrorists is flat out wrong, because you are judging 1.6 billion people. Using her logic, St. Peter Basilica is a "victory church" and King Solomon building a temple is wrong. She said in AC360 that (paraphrase) she is representing NC District 2 who are good christian people; great that you excluded everyone else. With points she made she, she should not even get into politics. Its no surprise that people abroad look at us Americans as ignorant intolerant people ( I have heard this myself as a i have lived abroad)

All religions have gone thru struggling and felt excluded; Evangelicals, Catholics, and Jews have gone through it (its like a game of tag). Its unfortunate that Muslims are under attack, but hopefully we move on like in the past.

Posted by: Deema | September 24, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

As a US Army veteran & proud Jewish American, I'm repulsed & frightened by Ellmers & her ilk. The ignorance & twisting of the truth in this ad is appalling! This is NOT a "victory mosque," is NOT "at" ground zero, & the comments she made on AC360 make me ashamed to live in NC. Apparently, she thinks her district is 100% Christian - I seriously doubt that, although I suspect all level-headed citizens will consider moving to another district if this hateful woman wins her election. If this is the only issue she can even partially accuse Etheridge of being wrong on, she has no place in politics.

Similar attitudes have been directed at Catholics in the past, & more recently Jews. I really had hoped that Americans couldn't be mean-spirited on such a level in this day & age when running for public office, & am saddened to discover I was wrong.

Posted by: jbgrif | September 24, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

As an American Muslim, I wonder if we will ever be accepted as equal citizens in our own home. I wonder if we will ever be free from being equated with Al-Qaeda by the Far Right. Do they forget that Muslims are victims of Al-Qaeda? This ad is disgraceful and I do not care who the other candidate is; I will pray for her to lose.

By the way, if she is running in North Carolina, why is she making a local issue in New York a central platform in her campaign? She would have no authority to do anything about it. The obvious answer is that she is pandering to prejudice.

Posted by: jparrott1908 | September 23, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

In the war between Al-Qaeda and the United States, one side supports religious freedom and one side opposes. Isn't it sad to see Ellmers, Palin and the Republican establishment standing shoulder to shoulder with Bin Laden denouncing America's freedom?

Posted by: GKen3 | September 23, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

When you work outside the United States like I do, it is embarrassing when stooges like this who make such idiotic statements can actually get people to vote for them.

Just when the US is starting to regain the respect from other countries that was lost during the Bush/Cheney regime, these mindless dolts running for office have to come out with racist, mindless comments to once again make us look like fools.

I’m going to tell people I am from Canada…

Posted by: biggerjake | September 23, 2010 2:21 AM | Report abuse

There is nothing in the ad that is nonfactual.

Posted by: cleancut77 | September 23, 2010 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Suggesting 'the Muslims' are terrorists is akin to saying 'the dumb blond nurses' are running for congress. Yes, there are Muslim terrorists - but the vast majority are not. And yes there are dumb blond nurses -- but only one that I'm aware of is currently running for congress from North Carolina.

Posted by: HeavyD1 | September 22, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm embarrassed for the Republican party for nominating someone who is either totally ignorant or at least totally pandering to those who are completely uninformed and bigoted. If she had simply stated that she opposed the building of a mosque so close to Ground Zero, she could defend the statement. Some would agree and some would disagree, which is fine. However, she made a ridiculously untrue statement. Consider the following:
1. The "mosque" is a cultural center that includes many more features than simply a mosque.
2. The mosque is NOT at Ground Zero; rather, it is blocks away.
3. There are several mosques already in the area.
4. Unless she plans to overthrow the U.S. government and replace the U.S. Constitution with an Iranian or Soviet-style constitution, she cannot tell any religious group that it cannot build a house of worship. Or perhaps she plans to hire thugs to burn it down in the middle of the night.
5. The terrorists are not planning to build a mosque. She apparently lumps together all of Islam with the distinct minority who are violent or terrorists. My Muslim friends in NYC who would like this cultural center are busy professionals who mind their own business and expect to be left alone to practice their religion as protected totally by the U.S. Constitution.

I will never understand how good Americans can condone such un-American behavior. Too many brave Americans died to protect the religious freedom that she and her supporters would casually take away, just because it is politically popular today. Yesterday it was Jews and Catholics; today it is Muslims. Who is next? You who voted for her, please answer one question: is your role model the U.S., with its beautiful and timeless Constitution, or the Saudi or Iranian regimes, which would have no problem denying religious freedom to minority groups? Personally, I choose the American way, and repudiate such behavior.

Posted by: rbharris50 | September 22, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, Nurse Renee Ellmers is very unknowledgeable. There was a mosque in the Twin Towers when the planes hit it. She should quit focusing on desparaging other peoples' religion and comment on what she can do for our country.

Posted by: norfret | September 22, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Finally, an ad that exposes what the MSM doesn't want you to know. I just wish it would have included more recent events like the Osama Bin Laden(and Bill Clinton) financed Islamic takeover of Kosova, Serbia. NATO stood by while Islamist terorrists torched 1,000 year old Orthodox churches. This is not ancient history. Islam is and will continue to be a threat to Western civilization.

Posted by: PeteMoylan | September 22, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Just sleazy. This is why I will never support that party. A religious congregation that has beeni that neighborhood for years is building a house of worhip and She twists it into support for terrorists. Despicable.

Posted by: cadam72 | September 22, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse