S.D. Democratic Rep. Sandlin gives Obama a 'C' grade

Rep. Stephanie Herseth-Sandlin (D-S.D.) and Republican challenger Kristi Noem weighed in Thursday on their respective campaigns, President Obama and Sarah Palin. Both Herseth-Sandlin and Noem are in a tight battle for South Dakota's lone House seat and were interviewed for ABC's "Top Line."

Asked what grade she would give President Obama, Herseth-Sandlin gave the president average overall marks (about 5 minutes into the video). "I think that I would give him in the C-range overall. Because I think on some issues, especially navigating some pretty tough economic waters that he inherited, he's done better than people are giving him credit for," Sandlin said. The Democrat then turned to issues of ethanol, biodiesel and "an understanding of rural America" and "forestry issues" - all issues on which Herseth-Sandlin thought the president's work had been less than satisfactory.

Noem's campaign pounced on the remark. In a press release, campaign spokesman Joshua Shields responded saying, "The incumbent should be sent to the back of the class for supporting the Obama-Pelosi agenda more than 9 out of 10 times."

The discussion turned to Noem, and Herseth-Sandlin's feelings about her competitor, "I feel like she sticks pretty closely to the partisan talking points, and I offer solutions and I put ideas on the table and talk about my record."

The point was an echo of of Noem's response when she was asked about Sandlin. Noem immediately turned to the health care overhaul bill and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi "When you really start looking and pointing out her voting record and voting with Nancy Pelosi 9 out of 10 times, and you look at the health care bill, she did vote against it but since then has said she won't repeal it...South Dakotans don't understand being on both sides of that issue."

Noem also had a few words about former Alaska governor Sarah Palin and Noem's newly-acquired label: "the next Sarah Palin." "I'm my own person. I'm Kristi Noem and Sarah Plain's a public servant," Noem said, " I've got my own platform, my own beliefs, they represent the values of South Dakota and I think that's important."

Asked whether Palin would be seen campaigning for her in South Dakota, Noem was doubtful, "Campaigning for me? Probably not."

More:
In South Dakota, Democrats' own 'mama grizzly' vs. 'the next Sarah Palin'
The FIx: Stephanie Herseth Sandlin and the empathy strategy
Photos: Democrat 'mama grizzly' Stephanie Herseth Sandlin v. 'the next Sarah Palin' Kristi Noem

By Emi Kolawole  |  September 9, 2010; 3:04 PM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ad of the day: That's Dr. Rand Paul to you
Next: Five questions for President Obama

Comments

Every day our president Barach Hussen Oboma shows his contempt for our democracy and constitution as well as the Deomocratic and Republican voters of this great country. His contempt is noted in his falacious remarks about the foreign interests that attacked our country and attempted to kill as many of of our citizens as was possible.

Posted by: rvaw120 | September 11, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Chicago77..don't count on it...and you being from Chicago...WELL enough said...She is pathetic...she can give the pres a C...so what who cares....W..W..W..STILL CARRIES all the friggin F'S F'S...You can imagine..

Posted by: janetmramos | September 10, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Is she for real? I would like for Rep. Stephanie Herseth-Sandlin to explain someone getting a C- for inheriting and navigating some pretty tough economic waters & he's done better than people are giving him credit for." comment

I guess she would have done a better job especially with all the support she and the Democratic Party gave President Obama.

Better keep your ears and eyes out on this one.

Posted by: minnie2 | September 10, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

"ethanol, biodiesel and "an understanding of rural America" and "forestry issues" - (are) all issues on which Herseth-Sandlin thought the president's work had been less than satisfactory.
-----------------------------------
Wow! So the economy (including the debate over Bush tax cuts and the Wall Street bailouts), 2 wars of choice in the Middle East and an oil "spill" in the Gulf of Mexico are just distractions from the REAL issues of ethanol, biodiesel, forestry and the like.

Are we talking "the greatest good for the greatest number", or is it "I've got mine - the heck with you!"

I have my suspicions.

Posted by: shadowmagician | September 9, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Just what public does Noem think Palin is serving? Last I heard she was serving herself to large chunks of money (from, e.g., the University of California at Merced) for speaking -- or maybe we should just call it entertainment.

Posted by: tmorgan2008 | September 9, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

I agree with her grade and would probably say "D+."

But her sellout Blue Dog a$$ getsan "F."

Posted by: uh_huhh | September 9, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Talk about grade inflation!

Posted by: georges2 | September 9, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Sarah PLAIN? Is that a direct quote from Noem or a poor editing job by the Post?

Posted by: Sfred | September 9, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

South Dakota didn't have the balls to vote for Obama and Sandlin doesn't have the balls to support Him

Posted by: jiji1 | September 9, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jiji1 | September 9, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Of course, a vote for the health care bill was the RIGHT thing to do. Only those of limited intelligence think otherwise.

Posted by: nyrunner101 | September 9, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nyrunner101 | September 9, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nyrunner101 | September 9, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Methinks we are going to see more and more of these in the days and weeks to come.

Posted by: etronsen | September 9, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

If he ONLY gets a C from a DEMOCRAT,
a party member in his own ranks;

Just imagine how much LOWER the actual grade MUST be.

Posted by: chicago77 | September 9, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse