In new book, GOP 'young guns' take on Obama and their own party

By Perry Bacon Jr.
Aggressively looking to distance themselves from their party's past, three top Republican House members are using a new book to repeatedly and often scathingly criticize former GOP leaders.

In "Young Guns," due for release in the next couple of weeks, Reps. Eric Cantor (Va.), Kevin McCarthy (Calif.) and Paul Ryan (Wis.) cast the Republican congressional leaders who preceded them as a group that "betrayed its principles" and was plagued by "failures from high-profile ethics lapses to the inability to rein in spending or even slow the growth of government." Cantor specifically says Republicans became "arrogant and "out of touch."

"Under Republican leadership in the early 2000's, spending and government got out of control," McCarthy writes. "As government grew, there were scandals and political corruption. The focus became getting reelected rather than solving problems and addressing pressing issues."

This critique and the release of the book are the latest attempt by GOP leaders to cast themselves as a changed party since they controlled Congress four years ago, Cantor, the No. 2 Republican in the House, has been a leading figure in this effort, even though he himself was a party leader then as now.

McCarthy is heavily involved in the House Republican campaign effort, while Ryan is one of the leading voices on policy in the GOP and would become the chairman of the budget committee if Republicans won control of the House this November.

The title of the book comes from a program Cantor, 47, and McCarthy, 45, have created to encourage young Republicans to run for office. Each congressman wrote individual chapters of the 190-page book.

In "Young Guns," the trio's rhetoric against their own party is frequent even as it is vague on identifying the actual culprits. Former House speaker Dennis Hastert (Ill.), former majority leader Tom DeLay (Tex.) and former President George W. Bush are almost never named, even as the congressmen suggest the Republican Party must be recast from the Bush era. President Obama and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) , meanwhile, are blamed for problems in Washington on nearly every other page.

The book is in some ways similar to one written by then-Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-Ill.) in 2006, when he was trying to lead his party to control of the House. Like Emanuel's book, which was not written with Pelosi, who was the Democrats' top leader, House Minority Leader John A. Boehner (R-Ohio.) did not participate formally in this project.

And like Emanuel, who has watched as White House chief of staff as the GOP has borrowed much of his 2006 election approach, the three include a number of policy ideas, although many of them are vague promises to cut spending or "listen to the American people." In his section, Ryan describes his controversial "Roadmap" proposal, which would radically overhaul the tax code, Social Security and Medicare, but his colleagues don't endorse the idea in the book. (And fewer than two dozen congressional Republicans have said they support the plan, which has come under heavy attack from Democrats)

The timing of the release of "Young Guns" around this fall's elections could help race the profile of these three Republicans, who have largely been overshadowed by figures such as Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck in the GOP's recent resurgence. And the authors are not shy in suggesting they want to be viewed as power players in the party.

"As I traveled around the country in 2007, some Republican candidates were saying to me that the party had lost so much trust with the people that they didn't want the party leadership coming to their districts to campaign for them," McCarthy writes. "They were interested, however, in having rising Republican leaders like Eric Cantor and Paul Ryan come to their districts."

By Perry Bacon Jr.  |  September 1, 2010; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency , Capitol Briefing
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: President Obama's Oval Office address on Iraq
Next: Your Thoughts: Is the Iraq war really over?

Comments

TO THE WEAK-KNEED REPUBLICANS AND DEMOCRAT ====Wake up america!!!! This goverment is the most corrupt we have had in years. The good old boy network is very much in charge.Mr. obama and pelosi are the puppet masters.How many of their good friends benefited by the agreement " what a farce. All of the u.sSenators voted for this. I am ashamed to say I voted for the these corupted self serving politicians.With good reason they picked an out of towner to be president.All u.s departments need an overhaul. We need to rid ourselves of the puppet masters and the dept heads that bow down to obama and pelosi.I am sick of the lip service I have been getting from these dummies over violations, their friends are getting away with.in the goverment . Barack Hussein Obama , threatens friends and bows to Mmslim.
INPEACH OBAMA ,GOD OPEN YOUR EYES.///For us there are only two possiblities: either we remain american or we come under the thumb of the communist Mmslim Barack Hussein OBAMA. This latter must not occur.THE COMMANDER..REPOST THIS IF YOU AGREE

Posted by: mjski56 | September 1, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mjski56 | September 1, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mjski56 | September 1, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

TO THE WEAK-KNEED REPUBLICANS AND DEMOCRAT.....TO ALL THE COMMUNIST IN THE IG,FBI,CIA,AND U.S. Senators and the left wing media outlets////////07 Sept. 2008 11:48:04 EST, Televised "Meet the Press" THEN Senator //Mmslim Barack Hussein Obama, was asked about his stance on the
American Flag.

General Bill Ginn USAF (ret.) asked //Mmslim Barack Hussein Obama, to explain WHY he doesn't follow protocol when the National Anthem is played. The General stated to Obama that according to the United States Code, Title 36, Chapter 10, Sec. 171 "...During rendition of the national anthem, when the flag is displayed, all present (except those in uniform) are expected to stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Or, at the very least, 'Stand and Face It'."

NOW GET THIS!! - - - - -
'Senator' //Mmslim Barack Hussein Obama, replied:

"As I've said about the flag pin, I don't want to be perceived as taking sides".
"There are a lot of people in the world to whom the American flag is a symbol of oppression.."
"The anthem itself conveys a war-like message. You know, the bombs bursting in air and all that sort of thing."

(ARE YOU READY FOR THIS???)

//Mmslim Barack Hussein Obama, continued: "The National Anthem should be 'swapped' for something less parochial and less bellicose. I like the song 'I'd Like To Teach the World To Sing'. If that were our anthem, then, I might salute it. In my opinion, we should consider reinventing our National Anthem as well as 'redesign' our Flag to better offer our enemies hope and love. It's my intention, if elected, to disarm America to the level of acceptance to our Middle East Brethren. If we, as a Nation of warring people, conduct ourselves like the nations of Islam, where peace prevails - - - perhaps a state or period of mutual accord could exist between our governments."

“When I become President, I will seek a pact of agreement to end hostilities between those who have been at war or in a state of enmity, and a freedom from disquieting oppressive thoughts. We as a Nation, have placed upon the nations of Islam, an unfair injustice which is WHY my wife disrespects the Flag and she and I have attended several flag burning ceremonies in the past".

"Of course now, I have found myself about to become the President of the United States and I have put my hatred aside. I will use my power to bring CHANGE to this Nation, and offer the people a new path... My wife and I look forward to becoming our Country's First black Family. Indeed, CHANGE is about to overwhelm the United States of America "INPEACH OBAMA THE COMMUNIST ,GOD OPEN YOUR EYES.//////For us there are only two possiblities: either we remain american or we come under the thumb of the communist Mmslim Barack Hussein OBAMA. This latter must not occur.the commander
REPOST THIS IF YOU AGREE

Posted by: mjski56 | September 1, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

American Flag.

NOW GET THIS!! - - - - -
'Senator' //Mmslim Barack Hussein Obama, replied:

(ARE YOU READY FOR THIS???)

REPOST THIS IF YOU AGREE

Posted by: mjski56 | September 1, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and by the way, our own Mr Cantor will be "young gunning" for Boehner in the fall.

Posted by: bmschumacher | September 1, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

It's soooooooooo Republican to call these 40-somethings "young guns".

What a bunch of maroons!

Posted by: bmschumacher | September 1, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Politicians are corrupt when they pay more attention to lobbyists and corporate interests than the public good.

Posted by: rmorris391 | September 1, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

The post by itkonlyyou259 is advertising/spam. I tried to click 'report abuse', but it didn't go through. Please remove that post. Postings like that interfere with positive conversational threads that can happen in response to columns and articles.

Posted by: jefinch | September 1, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

The question was- would you consider votong Republican this Fall? -- Well, whom running is against NAFTA & sending JOBS Over-Seas? - 'No Answer'!! - Well, whom running voted against the $BANKster Bailout? - 'No Answer'!! - Well, whom running for the GOP is for repealing the Federla Reserve Act & taking Our' Money Supply back,-- and getting rid of 'Funny-Money' DEBT? - No Answer!! -- da!? -- Why would anyone in their right mind vote Republican?-- Finally an Answer-- those whom support the $BANKster & WALLsters whom caused the Economic CRISIS!! -- "AS an Independent- it is a NO-BRAINER to Not Vote for the anti-Recovery & anti-JOBS GOP, & Usury FED DEBT Republican Globalist BANKsters!!!!

Posted by: jward52 | September 1, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

"could help race the profile" ?? what does that mean? "raise" maybe?

As far as the rest - given that the three of them can't hold hands and agree on the Ryan roadmap - it doesn't sound like they really have a plan at all (other than to bash, by name, the Democratic leaders). Integrity continues to be in short supply.

I still trust the Democrats more than Republicans at this point.

Posted by: mikem1 | September 1, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Open the wardrobe is not yet found love after another the

right clothes? So, also waiting for? Immediate action bar!

Welcome to { http://ta.gg/4or } sure you will find

what you need. Moreover, the company has a good reputation,

product quality standards, at reasonable prices. Over the

years, has been well received by overseas friends for their

support. Therefore, please rest assured purchase.

welcome to :====== http://ta.gg/4or ====