Joseph Cao: 'I love the president'

In an interview with the New Orleans Times-Picayune, Rep. Joseph Cao (R-La.) makes an odd statement for a Republican.

On a personal level, Cao said, "I love the president, and I believe he truly likes me." Cao said he's visited the White House about 10 times -- not counting the Superbowl party that he missed because of snow -- and earned an audience in the Oval Office during the health care debate's end stages. He said he appreciated that Obama never asked him to betray his conscience on abortion, just to "revisit the language" and see whether he could support the measure.

Of course, Cao is a Republican in an overwhelmingly Democratic district -- one he won only because of former Rep. William Jefferson's numerous scandals. Some say he's the most vulnerable Republican incumbent. He was the only Republican to vote for the House's original health-care bill (though he voted against the final legislation). He's also backed financial reform and a repeal of "Don't Ask Don't Tell."

"Half of my team are Democrats," he said recently.

By Rachel Weiner  |  September 2, 2010; 12:34 PM ET
Categories:  2010 Election , 44 The Obama Presidency , Capitol Briefing
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boxer-Fiorina debate: Boxer blasts Fiorina on HP (video)
Next: Democrats reenact David Vitter prostitution scandal in video

Comments

wao

Posted by: jiji1 | September 3, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

wao

Posted by: jiji1 | September 3, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Hey Itmo1:

Thanks. Your call sign reminded me to ask - when's Gitmo closing again? When is waterboarding stopping exactly? When's unemployment gonna go down not up? When's the Dem-controlled Congress and Exec gonna stop throwing money at symptoms and actually address causes? Dems (pardon the pun)da real-deal issues. Come November...

Posted by: LieToMe | September 3, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

If you folks will remember - It was Clinton who signed NAFTA and payed down the national debt by raping the social security to make him look good. I'm an independent voter & vote for the person whom I think will do the most for me and my family. But, I have to tell you right now, the Democrats have done far more damage to the United States than the Republicans ever will.

Posted by: garybelcher1 | September 3, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I really commend the comments made by: Scottycamp
Ginger2009
JilliB, and
Marilyn426

I think it's a shame that anyone could find fault in something that benefits everyone. For instance, HCR and helping small businesses. All I see is hatefulness, bigotry and a bunch of disillusional people who would cut off both hands and feet to get a black man who had the audacity to become President of the USA out of the White House. It's ridiculous! If they (Rupubs and Tea Partyers) new how the other countries around the world view us, which they haven't took the time to notice, I wonder what they would do?. Nothing. That would be asking too much for them to act like human beings. They think we're unintelligent Buffoons because of them! They can't believe how the Republican leaders and their followers are acting. The open racism and hate that they display is unreal. Looking at the Republicans and the Tea Partyers, we really see what "power hungry" looks like. It's pathetic!

Posted by: ltmo1 | September 3, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I really commend the comments made by: Scottycamp
Ginger2009
JilliB, and
Marilyn426

I think it's a shame that anyone could find fault in something that benefits everyone. For instance, HCR and helping small businesses. All I see is hatefulness, bigotry and a bunch of disillusional people who would cut off both hands and feet to get a black man who had the audacity to become President of the USA out of the White House. It's ridiculous! If they (Rupubs and Tea Partyers) new how the other countries around the world view us, which they haven't took the time to notice, I wonder what they would do?. Nothing. That would be asking too much for them to act like human beings. The people in other countries think we're unintelligent Buffoons because of them (Repubs and Tea Partyers)! They can't believe how the Republican leaders and their followers are acting. The open racism and hate that they display is unreal. Looking at the Republicans and the Tea Partyers, we really see what "power hungry" looks like. It's pathetic!

Posted by: ltmo1 | September 3, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I really commend the comments made by: Scottycamp
Ginger2009
JilliB, and
Marilyn426

Posted by: ltmo1 | September 3, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I love "scottycamp"'s post....Posted September 2, 2010 7:28 PM ---Make that into a song...maybe to the tune of Usher's "There goes my baby"----- "There goes my health care ....if Repubs get back in--" "There goes my job now!...Repubs took it overseas..." lol!

Posted by: Bn4Real | September 3, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: greatgran1 | September 2, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Hey greatgran - the republicans are baiting you like a lemming - there is no logical way for hcr to be repealed. It would require a supermajority just to get out of congress, and it would be vetoed by the president.

It's sad to see a stupid ploy by the inept gop work on the angry mental midgets in the republican party. They're playing you like a fool, and it looks like you've fallen for it hook, line and sinker.

Posted by: JilliB | September 3, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

You have me curious, Bush got us into the Iraq war. Obama got us into the Aghan thing. So what other Muslim country conflict did Bush get us into? As far as I know we didn't go into Iran as many wished.
Posted by: tncdel | September 2, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Obama "got us into the Aghan thing"? What planet are you living on? The planet propaganda and delusion? You can't rewrite history skippy - both wars are bushs doing. You're not "curious" you're ignorant.

Posted by: JilliB | September 3, 2010 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Idealogies, Idealogies, Idealogies

Goggle Obama's Bi-Sexuality

His Comprehensive Programs will destroy We The People's Rights to Personal Rights and Personal Responsibilities

Aslo goggle Boston Children's Hospital Sex Change Clinic
Also Dawn Stefanowicz Out from Under
Also Planned Parenthood as this organization goes into the public schools and gives young girls low dose birth control pills so they will become pregnant, then they take them for an abortion, many times without the parents permssion

Posted by: boski66 | September 3, 2010 6:59 AM | Report abuse

yes it is very true that major brands always give out free samples on health products check out http://bit.ly/9HUMDw tell your friends also

Posted by: rothwinkle3 | September 3, 2010 3:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rothwinkle3 | September 3, 2010 3:25 AM | Report abuse

This man voted AGAINST the final healthcare bill. I wanted single payer... or at least an option. But I took what I could get. This moron voted AGAINST the little bit we could get.

I want him out!

Posted by: peaceandprotest | September 3, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Don't have a bible. I am singing it for you on trooperkeeton.com Be Not Afraid

Posted by: trooperkeeton | September 3, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Finally a Repub who acts like a christian. (John 13-34) A New Commandment.

Posted by: trooperkeeton | September 2, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Rep. Cao may be sincere or not. I don't know him so who am I to comment on his sincerity?

What I do know is that he won his seat running against a horribly corrupt Dem. incumbent who was caught with ice bricks of bribe money in his freezer. If the Dems have put up a decent candidate to run against Cao, the odds are greatly in their favor to win this seat back for their party.

Either way, at least Cao seems to know his constituents.

Posted by: VAreader | September 2, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Cao is speaking b.s. He's trying to get re-elected . . . hope Lousiana gets rid of this lame brain.

Posted by: politicaljunk | September 2, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Rep. Cao:

Thanks for at least being willing to look at both sides--a good, honest look at both sides. It's a much appreciated gesture.

A Grateful Democrat

Posted by: amproffitt500 | September 2, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dseigler2 | September 2, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

@greatgran...Do you have social security benefits or medicare? then this health reform bill has helped you by eventually eliminating the donut hole! It will eliminate medicare fraud which I have seen at the nursing home where my Mom is living. It will help my daughter who has a pre-existing condition from putting herself through college on a rowing scholarship and now has back problems including a pinched nerve in her back. Do you care about the many people who have cancer, diabetes, or are pregnant, all pre-exiting conditions and therefore can't get insurance? well, now they are eligible for temporary insurance through their states. is there anyone in your family like this? A friend?

Listen to the news about all the free health care clinics and the lives they are saving because people don't have jobs because they are laid off or can't get insurance through their workplace. I feel sorry for you that you don't have compassion for the less fortunate. I am glad you aren't in this situation.

My oldest daughter, college educated, worked 2 jobs, 60 hours/week but neither provided health insurance. She fell and suffered a terrible gash and ended up with a $1300 ER bill. Her treatment was terrible and she needed to go back. I intervened and wouldn't give up and finally spoke to the ER director. She wrote off her follow-up visit of $300. This is what the President spoke about if one does not get the proper care, one shouldn't how to pay for follow up care. My daughter's stitches came undone! I was once released from an ER without back x-rays when taken by ambulance for a 10'fall from a ladder. I had a broken back! Yes, we need health reform. I had to return for another visit!

Posted by: Marilyn426 | September 2, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Among previous comments is that much-reiterated claim that Acorn somehow was involved in election fraud when Obama was elected. As I recall it, Acorn paid temporary workers to find & sign up previously unregistered voters. Some of these temps turned in registrations for Mickey Mouse or football stars or the like. These workers were fired, and the fake registration forms were separated out, identified as such, and turned in with all the registrations, as the law requires. (Acorn could not legally destroy these fakes or any other registrations.) Mickey Mouse & the other bogus 'registrants' did not show up and try to vote. So where was the election fraud?

Any agency that hires temporary workers (or any workers, for that matter) may get a few dishonest ones who just want to get their money without doing the work properly. Those workers are to blame, not the organization who hired - then fired them when their misdeeds surfaced.

It's way past time for the claim of 'election fraud' on the part Acorn to be denounced as the lie that it is, and permanently retired from public discourse. Unlike in the previous presidential election cycle, there was NO election fraud involved in President Obama's victory.

Posted by: PeggyB1 | September 2, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

How did this idiot make to the US from Nam? But then again, Obama got elected with no background, no experience, nada! Only in America.

Posted by: rustynailx | September 2, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Get back to us with your opinion of him after we put you in his unemployment line in November..

Posted by: wewintheylose | September 2, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

To goonavybeatarmy: Many Democrats expressed a personal fondness for former President Bush even as they denounced his policies. Count me among them.

Keith Olberman and Rachel Maddow counterbalance with integrity the propaganda spewed by right-wing media.

The partisanship that is typical of political discourse across the country in general is a direct result of the disinformation, distortions, and calculated lies disseminated on the Internet and on conservative talk shows and believed by people who do not think critically, who do not read for themselves, or who cannot accept the fact that a half black person is in the White House.

People who really love this country would not sow the seeds of division and discord that these self-interested people sow 24/7. These are people who claim to love this country but who only manipulate the uninformed, the desperate, and/or the bigoted so that they themselves, the monied and the powerful ones, can hold on to the power and money they have, the very things that have robbed them of their souls.

Posted by: Ginger2009 | September 2, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

The two Bush wars are Iraq and Afghanistan. You do remember who was Prez when 9/11, the invasion of Iraq to find the WMD and the invasion of Afghanistan took place, don't you? (Guess you were just asleep. Hint: George W. Bush)
Dem: Party of Hope
Gop: Party of Nope (except for war, of course)

Posted by: Mytwocents13 | September 2, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

What a shock, more false ACORN stories. This, though is beyond the pale: "Obama got us into the Afghan thing."

The invasion of Afghanistan began on October 7, 2001. Barack Obama was a state legislator in Illinois at the time--certainly not in a position to "get us into" any military action. Michael Steele's foolish assertion that "this is a war of Obama's choosing" is just ridiculous, and he seems to have at least realized that.

Posted by: zjvalentine | September 2, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Kick out Barack Hussein Obama and his hordes!

Tax cuts for the rich! Booyah!

Bring back denials of care for "pre-existing conditions."

Let the credit card companies go back to changing my interest rates without telling me! HooHooHooHoo!!!

Gyeah!!!

Figure out a way to CUT the 1-million manufacturing jobs that were saved when that communist, Hussein "Muslim Person" Obama, gave aid to Chrysler and GM!

We don't need no stinkin' manufacturing jobs in America!

VOTE REPUBLICAN! More "FREE TRADE" agreements to ship our jobs overseas!!!

Yay! WooWooWooWooWoo!!!!

Oh, yeah. ReeeeLOAD, BayBay!!!

Sure. I used to make enough to feed my family. Who needs that?

Stop Obama! RE-DEE-regulate Wall Street!!! Yaaaayyyy!!!! RE-DE-regulate! RE-DE-regulate!!!

Less manufacturing jobs! Ship 'em overseas! Less manufacturing jobs! Ship 'em overseas!

Lower taxes on the megarich! Yay! Say it with me, my peeps! Lower taxes for the megarich . . .

You know - the same ones that are making RECORD PROFITS and STILL REFUSE TO HIRE NEW WORKERS - so THEY ARE KEEPING MONEY FROM CIRCULATING IN THE ECONOMY . . . stalling the recovery . . . UNTIL . . .

We can be rescued by . . .

The Republicans . . . who spent 8 years destroying the economy . . .

After all, that so-called, born on another planet President Barack (next one with a long drawl, now!) HoooSaynnn Obahmuhhhh . . .

Has had fully 1.5 years to fix nearly a decade worth of damage!

SO WE SHOULD GIVE THE REPUBS ANOTHER CHANCE NOW, RIGHT????

Genius. Pure genius!

Posted by: scottycamp | September 2, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

ranjackmarlowe, you said:
"...Who could like G.W. Bush after he deliberately stole his first election for President by hook and crook in the State of Florida with a little help from his brother and the Supreme Court that violated Federal Voting Rules to get it done and without winning the popular vote (third president in History) then runs headlong in getting us into two non-winable and useless wars in Muslim countries"

I think you need to say something also about mass voter fraud for Obama abetted by ACORN too while you're at it. By the way, have you ever seen this video showing how Obama may have been elected senator in Illinois, and maybe even how ACORN pulled its "magic" getting Obama elected underhandedly:

Posted by: tncdel | September 2, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Saying what he did will likely get him some scorn from chief negative Boehner. Watch out on committee assignments and such, you just cooked your crawfish.

Posted by: ronjeske | September 2, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

A diet of Representative Cao comments leave you hungry again in an hour for a semblance of honest GOP politics. We can afford to lose one caucus member just so Dem's can claim it wasn't a shutout in November.

Posted by: ecrutle | September 2, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

On another important subject, Who could like G.W. Bush after he deliberately stole his first election for President by hook and crook in the State of Florida with a little help from his brother and the Supreme Court that violated Federal Voting Rules to get it done and without winning the popular vote (third president in History) then runs headlong in getting us into two non-winable and useless wars in Muslim countries, running us into debts that are almost un payable and killing a lot of innocent Soldiers and Civilians. Sorry but I have to place GWB below H. Hoover and lying Dick Nixon. At least Nixon got us out of Viet Nam, for better or worse and started no more wars.

Posted by: ranjackmarlowegmailcom | September 2, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ranjackmarlowegmailcom | September 2, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

He's not the only RINO that "loves" Barrack Hussein. McCain used to get cuddly with him too, before faking out folks in AZ pretending he now opposes Obama's pro-illegals agenda.

Posted by: tncdel | September 2, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ginger2009 | September 2, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ginger2009 | September 2, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Most Republicans in the House love President Obama. He will deliver a Republican majority in November. What's not to love?

Posted by: pepperjade | September 2, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

So, he was fer it (health care reform) before he was agin it?

Posted by: tmorgan2008 | September 2, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

@1EgoNemo

Spoken like a person who turns on MSNBC on a daily basis to find out today's "truth". What's worse is you actually beleive it.

Your Democrat lackies fabricate just as much falshood as their Republican retard counterparts.

Posted by: jdubyaa | September 2, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

For one minute I thought well he is just a nice guy trying to be kind to an unpopular President and then you tell me this dumb guy voted for the health care takeover no one wants. I want everyone who pushed this terrible bill out of office. I do not care what party you call yourself. If you cannot promise me you will vote to repeal this garbage, you are not getting my vote. And I am going to make sure none of my money goes to support this dim wit.

Posted by: greatgran1 | September 2, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

In their hearts all Republicans love the President. For Republicans the President is the gift that keep on giving.

Posted by: johne37179 | September 2, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

He's playing political chess. Keep them both placated for the most part so as NOT to alienate yourself completely. I say "Beware of Strangers bearing gifts". Rattlers lay in the grass just waiting for the right time to strike.

Posted by: moonglowsun | September 2, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Intelligent.

Posted by: bmuhamad | September 2, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

How many Democrat members of Congress said they loved George W. Bush?

Posted by: goonavybeatarmy | September 2, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

At last! After an exhaustive search, we've finally found the Republican equivalent of Alvin Greene!

Posted by: TeaPartyPatriot | September 2, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

It's kind of frightening to see all the hateful posts here that seem to be unable to distinguish between liking a person as a person while disagreeing with him on political matters. It happens all the time, both in Congress, in state legislatures, and on city councils. It happens all the time in most neighborhoods. Ted Kennedy and some very conservative Republican senators were good personal friends. Some of my very best friends have been on the radical right fringe politically. Big frigging deal!

Our society is in deep trouble if we can't talk to each other. It's no surprise that so many of the folks who post online are so doctrinaire in their views -- I bet they don't talk much with people of differing political views. They just watch Glenn Beck and the rest of the radical far right on Fox and don't get their news anywhere else. And on the left you've got folks who just watch MS-NBC's Olbermann and Maddow and rarely, if ever, engage in open discussions with people of opposing political views.

We really do need to restore the Fairness Doctrine so that opposing views are presented fairly in the broadcast media. Because if we don't talk with each other, then we are surely doomed to a lifetime of political and social discord that only weakens our once great nation.

Posted by: dl49 | September 2, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I was expecting this to be another story of the depressing cynicism that has taken over politics, but I was pleasantly surprised to see someone just speaking candidly, like an adult.

Well, I can surely always count on the comment section sucking - that's for sure.

Posted by: semantic1 | September 2, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he does like President Obama. But, I cannot trust a party that puts the CEO of BP before the people he is supposed to represent.

Posted by: janetal2004gmailcom | September 2, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Rep. Cao won in a large Democratic district and knows he has sided with the GOP against his voters. Now it's time to suck up for the vote so just say I love the President give me your vote.

Posted by: qqbDEyZW | September 2, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I am always surprised by people who will say things like "I may not like his policies, but he is a genuine man", or "I like him, he is some one who I would like to have a beer with", or "I like him, because he always votes his conscience".

All of the above are sheer lunacy.

We are not voting for an American idol, but a *representative*. I would rather not elect my beer-buddy, because I want someone smarter -- not someone for whom I am the designated driver.

Being genuine and voting his conscience is fine, long it most of the same as what *I* want. Otherwise, it is exactly what I don't want.

Ultimately, all that matters is whether he represents my interest, and how reliably he does it. Of course, if he earns enough trust, I would be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in issues that I don't have a direct stake in, or I am unfamiliar with, or issues involving long term to short term trade offs.

Posted by: kblgca | September 2, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

There is no accounting for taste.

Posted by: jdonner2 | September 2, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Republicans show about as much conviction as the schoolteacher in Lyndon Johnson's famous story who, when asked by the board of education whether he believed in evolution, said he was happy to "teach it either way."

Republicans will say what helps them. That doesn't make them unique among politicians. But the lengths they will go to distort, fabricate, lie and -- in this case -- flatter, are inversely proportional to the usefulness of their ideas.

Posted by: 1EgoNemo | September 2, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

We all should love this president. He has done a remarkable job despite the relntless campaign of most of the gop to make Aerica fail. He and his allies in Congress saved us from standing in breadlines and reliving the horrors of herbert hoover's republicon nighmare in the early 1930s.

Posted by: John1263 | September 2, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like a genuine guy. Many people who vehemently disagree with Obama's policies and proposals can nonetheless appreciate him as a charismatic, likeable guy.

Posted by: OttoDog | September 2, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Wow. A Republican that could actually earn a vote from a Democrat. Sorta like a white tiger, eh?

Posted by: tennesseemoonshiner | September 2, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse