Stephen Colbert testifies before Congress

Comedian Stephen Colbert appeared before the House Judiciary Committee on Friday to testify on his work with the United Farm Workers.

Update 11:41AM a.m. - Read the full report on Colbert's testimony from the Post's Dan Zak.

Update 11:09 a.m. - Conyers later took back his request for Colbert to leave after listening to testimony from the other witnesses.

Colbert, when called on, delivered testimony that was accompanied by laughter from both the committee members and the audience. During questioning, the comedian was asked about his position on the Republican agenda, to which he replied, "I endorse all Republican policies without question."

The hearing started with opening remarks from Chairwoman Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.) and Colbert playing to the cameras. A highlight of the beginning was Rep. John Conyers, the full committee chairman, who asked Colbert to leave the committee room without testifying. Colbert, looking surprised, replied that he would leave, but was present in the committee room at the invitation of Lofgren. Lofgren, noting that others would be interested in Colbert's remarks, requested that he stay. Other committee members voiced agreement.

Conyers request was not wholly unexpected. Roll Call reported Rep. Steve Cohen (D-Tenn.) as saying, "I don't think he should be here. It commercializes the committee,"

More:
- Video: Watch Colbert's testimony
- Document: Read Colbert's written remarks

By Emi Kolawole  | September 24, 2010; 9:42 AM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ad of the day: Fiorina calls Boxer arrogant
Next: Senate debates tax increases on companies that move jobs overseas

Comments

Too bad WaPo couldn't add the story about about Linda Sanchez, D-Ca crying about Vietnamese immigrants trying to take HER job! Poetic justice in my book....She's in bed with Obama's AMNESTY CONSPIRATORS and can't take the heat when it's her job not just "some American's" that an immigrant wants. Of course in this case it's a legal immigrant not an ILLEGAL INVADER, but it's fun to watch anyway!

Posted by: TexRancher | September 26, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

How embarrassing and awkward while completely validating the notion that this congress is thoroughly disconnected from the American people.

Posted by: carolinadreams | September 26, 2010 12:58 AM | Report abuse

No one from Hollywood should be testifying before the Congress unless the matter at hand concerns the entertainment and film industry itself. In recent years other celebrities such as Julia Roberts have appeared before Congress, giving testimony on other topics. It was ridiculous to see the members ignore everything else and fawn over an actor. Unlike actors, people like me actually wear thick, high index spectacles, have educations, and can dress properly for public appearances. We don't have to wear fake eyeglasses, expensive designer clothing, pull up in a luxury car. Is there a means test to testify before the Congress?

I could testify about a dirty cop harassing me while I read Aristotle's Poetics. Everything was supposed to have some meaning other than what the author intended. I can guarantee that this cop did not understand a word in the text.

I would like to testify about what the government has done with surveillance. I'm literate, presentable, articulate. I can say awful things that are absolutely true. I am guaranteed not to lie under oath, something everyone else seems to get away with before the Congress.

I would like to speak at length about the bugging of the New York City Bar Association, the type of surveillance used, the number of personnel committed to this activity, and the intimidation by scores and scores of Justice Dept lawyers on the streets of Manhattan.

I would like to talk about the bugging of churches, the use of race and religion. One church used this way was St. Paul's in lower Manhattan, and this occurred prior to 9/11. It reached the point where it was no longer safe to use this church, so I went uptown instead.

The government hated everything American, even a church with George Washington's pew. The nation's first president took the oath of office in lower Manhattan, giving his inaugural address there. The government hated American art, literature. The government hated Americans, employing foreigners in wide-spread rumor campaigns for this purpose. The events of 9/11 made this strategy somewhat more unpopular. I can produce renderings of the government perps buck naked with Mapplethorp whips up their bums. American art is flexible that way.

I don't need to buy fake eyeglasses, and I don't need special treatment. I was disgusted with Ken Star and his coterie of snotrag butt lickers, including those in the Paula Jones case. Do we all really need to drive a Mercedes sedan to appear in court? Look at what's been going on here. Beauty makeovers, facelifts, nose jobs, designer clothing, hair straightening. And celebrities, too.

Why aren't farmers testifying before Congress instead of a celebrity? It looks like a means test for testimony, people with no seriousness, just name recognition.

Dante described real politicians in his Italy as "malvagia e scempia." It means evil and stupid. I would translate as crooked and stupid, two deadly sins.

Posted by: redd1 | September 24, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

his prepared remarks were kind of interesting. he agreed that Americans don't want the jobs as farmworkers that illegals will take, and that our immigration enforcement efforts were causing farm corporations to move jobs and farms to Mexico and elsewhere. fascinating.

Posted by: JoeT1 | September 24, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

there is wisdom in satire for sure. But its a sad sad day when only comedians are allowed to speak in the halls of congress in a frank and truthful matter.

Forget throwing the bums out, the bums aren't the problem, its the a-holes who know what they are doing in there that are the problem.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 24, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

they are such a joke only this Congress would call a comedian to testify !!! Well I guess it's better than the standing ovation they gave the Mexican PPresident after he told them how to run their Gov !!!!!!

Posted by: catinhat83510496 | September 24, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse