Posted at 8:15 PM ET, 11/ 8/2010

Hillary Clinton to Australia: We're not all like the Kardashians

By Emi Kolawole

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton sat down with Australian radio personalities Hamish and Andy for an interview on Sunday that ran the gamut from gravy-flavored potato chips to how a former president and a current secretary of state settle on what to eat for dinner.

Don't eat the crisps

The hosts got started by presenting Clinton with their last bag of gravy-flavored potato chips -- or crisps, as they're called in Australia.

Clinton: I cannot tell you how much this means to me.
Question: Are you a collector of chips? Is this your first --
Clinton: I am an eater of chips.
Question: We recommend not. Use by -- well, it was use by two years ago. So --
Clinton: And you resealed the package?
Question: No, no. This has never been opened.
Question: They're the last remaining sealed ones. If you try to eat them, technically, that's an assassination attempt by us.
Clinton: Shall I wait until I am out of Australian airspace?
Question: Yes. (Laughter.)

Eventually Clinton floated the idea of passing the chips off to one of the members of her delegation. The hosts warned that it may be "a rough ride" for the lucky (or not) recipient.

Kim Kardashian doesn't represent me

Clinton was eventually asked about the difference between how her message as secretary of state is perceived by the world's young people as opposed to that of American pop culture. Clinton started off with a serious answer, but the tone didn't last long:

Clinton: ...I think that for young people today, this is such a busy, almost overstimulated environment that you all come to maturity in, and I think the United States has a deep understanding among people who are older because of the military alliances, the wars we've fought against totalitarianism in the 20th century and the like. But for young people, there's a lot of other things going on and --
Question: The Kardashians give us a lot of our [inaudible] import
Clinton: The Kardashians, exactly. If you look at American TV as much of the rest of the world does, you would think we all went around wrestling and wearing bikinis. I mean, that's what you would think we spend our entire day --
Question: We'll scratch off question four. (Laughter.)
Clinton: -- doing, right? So instead of viewing us as a caricature, a kind of reality-TV version of America, I think it's important, especially with thought leaders, young people on campuses like this, to be present to answer questions and to try to make some connections.

Dinner detente

Clinton was eventually asked how she as Secretary of State and her husband, former president Bill Clinton, settle on dinner plans. The answer: very carefully.

Question: It all requires excellent patience, great negotiation skills. Your husband also possesses those qualities. When you two can't agree on what to get for takeaway dinner, who wins out in that type of negotiation?
Clinton: We practice different models of negotiation around important issues like that.
Question: Yeah.
Clinton: Because if I were to say to him, as I have on many occasions, "What shall we have for dinner tonight?" If he says to me, "Oh, I don't care; you choose," I know that's a really bad answer, because then I'm stuck with the responsibility.
Question: Yeah.
Clinton: So I will come back and I'll say, "All right. Well, so how do you feel about Chinese -- "
Question: Oh, good.
Clinton: -- or Mexican or Italian?" And if he says a second time, "I really, really don't care," then I will go choose. Now, contrarily, if he says to me, "What do you want for dinner tonight," I will say, "What do you want?" Then he'll go, "Well, I was thinking of maybe picking up some Thai." And if I'm in a good humor, I'll say, "That's fine." But if I am feeling not enthusiastic about Thai, I'll say, "Well, maybe we should consider something else." And he'll say, "Well, then you choose." (Laughter.)
Question: Do you ever eat before midnight? (Laughter.)
Clinton: We are very late eaters. Yes, we do. I mean, this could go on -- this goes on for some time.

Read the full transcript

By Emi Kolawole  | November 8, 2010; 8:15 PM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: GOP Rep. Bachus: 'Sarah Palin cost us control of the Senate' (Updated)
Next: Obama's Indonesian gay nanny and other things from his past

Comments

She should be president. You idiot liberals have no clue how bad you screwed up in your hate filled primary do you?

Posted by: LiberalBasher | November 9, 2010 10:30 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Coming from the Party that brought us Sarah Palin, you do understand how ludicrous a statement that is, don't you?

Posted by: helloisanyoneoutthere | November 9, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I love Hillary and Bill, they give me great hope. In fact, they are the only politicians that do. They actually do for the American people what they promised during campaigns. While Hillary is now a diplomat, I hope and pray that she'll one day run!! I miss Hillary and Bill...

Posted by: billbridgesmaccom | November 9, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

That non-missile, anyone? Let's hear it for Homeland Security and the Pentagon. It sounds as if the Astro-Nut got back in, sneaked aboard a sub and started hyperventilating near the launch button ... like a distaff Homer at the nuclear control board.

Posted by: phvr38 | November 9, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I like Hillary more and more as Secretary of State. She's good peoples.

Posted by: motogp46 | November 9, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

If Mrs. Clinton looked like Ms. Kardashian, she would be President today ; )

Posted by: JakeD2 | November 9, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Kim who?

Posted by: mortified469 | November 9, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Thank God someone asked her a question she was competent to answer. There are only about a half-dozen of them in the first place!

Posted by: 54465446 | November 9, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I'd take Kim or Paris and to hell with politics!

Posted by: Geezer4 | November 9, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LiberalBasher | November 9, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

RealTexan1 @ 8:51 AM: You need to lighten up! Mrs. Clinton gave a funny interview about the Kardashians and chips. It's really pathetic that people like you have to take every situation and turn it into a diatribe about "leftists."

Posted by: SouthernerInDC | November 9, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

A Paris Hilton or a Kim Karshashian might not get much done on the job and might spend most of their time out shopping, but at least they would not denigrate their own nation or drag it down into the oppression of socialism while they themselves lives lives of exception in luxury, basking in their own elitism.

And that's what the more Leftist Democrats would do. They are true Stalinists in our time.

Posted by: RealTexan1 | November 9, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

"I'd take Kim Kardashian (or even Paris Hilton) for any political office over any of the more Leftist Democrats."
==============================================

I dislike anything that can be used to prevent people from voting but posters like the above are great arguments in favor of an IQ threshold for voting rights.

Posted by: Ken_Davis1 | November 9, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

The Tea Party is really messed up. This is obviously a thoughtful intelligent woman who spent a good part of her life in the public service of these United States of America ... and you would rather be represented by some reality bimbo? F'd up. Time to stop calling names and spouting of tenuous conspiracy theories and actually start addressing the serious problems this country faces.

Posted by: hdimig | November 9, 2010 7:23 AM | Report abuse

How about them pant suits and those Piano legs. At least Kim does not have those.

Posted by: winemaster2 | November 9, 2010 5:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: winemaster2 | November 9, 2010 5:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: winemaster2 | November 9, 2010 5:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: winemaster2 | November 9, 2010 5:48 AM | Report abuse

Kim Kardashian? Keep Bill away from her, for your own sake, Hillary.

Posted by: rksingh1987 | November 9, 2010 5:36 AM | Report abuse

and yet when young, she did bend over backwards for the black panthers...
only difference, no tape to sell on the internet...

Posted by: DwightCollins | November 9, 2010 4:08 AM | Report abuse

"I'd take Kim Kardashian (or even Paris Hilton) for any political office over any of the more Leftist Democrats.” - Posted by: RealTexan1

And there lies the problem.

Posted by: hock1 | November 9, 2010 3:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RealTexan1 | November 9, 2010 2:39 AM | Report abuse

"I doubt the Clintons ... even spend enough time together to have dinner plans..."

Which is precisely why the exchange was so hilarious. I hope you weren't being serious, bandmom22. :-)

Posted by: mjo1 | November 9, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

I doubt the Clintons, purported husband and purported wife, even spend enough time together to have dinner plans, much less worry about "takeout".

Posted by: bandmom22 | November 8, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Aye Corumba ! Eat my shorts. Which reminds me, I have no concept of the Kardashians. I have a big screen IMac and I bought a plugin that allows me to watch freeebie, over-the-air HDTV in a corner usually with the sound off. It records and works like a TIVO. Anyway, 3 stations of PBS is all you need. The regular news sucks so the net for your papers. All you need. I never seen so much as 5 minutes of Fox or Oberman. Let's face it, I'm better than you guys. Superior for not paying for dreck.

Posted by: WmLaney | November 8, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse