Posted at 1:21 PM ET, 11/29/2010

Obama: 'I will continue to be playing basketball'

By Perry Bacon Jr.

He was supposed to talk about weighty matters such as the economy, the federal budget deficit and reducing partisanship in Washington.

But in a short speech Monday afternoon, President Obama wanted to make one thing clear at the start: Reynaldo Decerega isn't going to stop him from shooting hoops.

"Although Washington is supposed to be a town of sharp elbows, it's getting a little carried away," Obama joked. "For those of you who are worried about my lip, I should be okay. The doctor has given me a clean bill of health, and I will continue to be playing basketball whenever I get a chance. In fact I played yesterday with Sasha and Malia, and they took it easy on me because they were feeling pity."

In his first public appearance since needing 12 stitches after taking an elbow from Decerega on Friday, Obama showed little sign of injury.

By Perry Bacon Jr.  | November 29, 2010; 1:21 PM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency, Barack Obama  | Tags:  obama basketball; obama stitches; Reynaldo Decerega; obama injury; obama basketball injury; obama lip
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: American exceptionalism: Does the U.S. have a unique character? Give us your examples
Next: Boehner to huddle with new Republican governors

Comments

"I will be continuing to play basketball!" Talk about lousy grammar!

But his ardent recreational pursuits aside, anybody else notice the sheer *DRAMA* of The Baller in Chief's remarks?

"I should be okay ... a clean bill of health."

For the love of Mike -- he got smacked in the kisser. Not exactly a war wound.

Posted by: wmpowellfan | November 30, 2010 3:37 AM | Report abuse

I, for one, am glad to hear that President Obama will continue to play basketball. He is setting a good example for a nation of couch potatoes. Plus, he has a very stressful job, so the exercise is a good stress-reliever. I hope he goes to Hawaii for Christmas. The haters will be traveling home for the holidays but criticizing him for doing the same, so he might as well go.

Posted by: mickeynATL | November 29, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

GoP theocons are opposed to a basketball playing President who raises the bar for his predecessors. Old white men can't jump.

Posted by: areyousaying | November 29, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Why do I have to read about POTUS playing basketball in his spare time. Why can't I read about all those green jobs he promised to create..................

Posted by: travel1 | November 29, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

What's the best thing about his basketball injury?

He got smacked during HIS FOUL.

How dare his face get in the way of a jumpshot?

Posted by: docwhocuts | November 29, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that's what I am worried about. I realize that he may have been trying to be funny, but, to think that we really care about that, again, shows how out of touch he is. Was there no doctor on the military base who could give him stitches?

Posted by: coffic | November 29, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

When it comes to weighty matters facing our Congress, maybe they can be resolved on the basketball court. We have plenty of "stars" on both sides, the bench warmers itching to get in the game, the cheer leaders, think about it, all the players are there. The elbows will really be flying then. Maybe Coach Obama could get both teams to play together and win one for the people.

Posted by: AnRod | November 29, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

This is yet another proof of this incompetent twit's total lack of any idea of the enormose responsibility fo being President.He thinks he is another Kobe Bryant or something.Our country is going down the drain and he thinks we care if he tries to pretend that he is a basketball player.2012 can not come soon enough.Why havent we heard of impeachment yet.Can he get any worse?

Posted by: nannieturner | November 29, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Obama: "I will continue to be playing basketball whenever I get a chance. However, chances of Reynaldo Decerega ever being invited again are slim to none."

Posted by: BigBubba1 | November 29, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Reading comments from Fed Watchers and other political junkies in D.C is almost frightening. The only jobs Obama can create are federal jobs. His only other option is to stimulate. Apparently no one wants either and, given the collective intelligence around the beltway, that may be a relief to the rest of the nation. Want jobs? The heads of American companies are holding trillions in cash reserves. That's where the jobs are. TV should be banned in MD, VA and D.C. It's killing us. From the Great Lakes...

Posted by: spiderlockhart | November 29, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

No one person is responsible for the recession, no one person is responsible for the bail-outs, no one person can resolve the jobless society we live in... the mess the country is in took more than one man's doing in one day. To those who don't know, we don't have Kings or Queens in America. We have bodies of government who JOINTLY make decisions -- even the bad ones.

But,from the looks of these posts it appears we've got enough Americans who really think one man does all! To these folks, I've just got one question -- If you really think that one man is responsible for America's economy then aren't you just a wee bit peeved at having to pay such high salaries to everyone else? I'm talking about all those people you seem to view as "innocent bystanders" you know, members of The House of Representatives and The Senate?

Or, do you think maybe it's possible that the The House of Representatives and The Senate (both Republican AND Democrat) might just actually share in the responsibility for decisions (even unpopular ones) made about American economics?

Posted by: deborahjbrown | November 29, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: deborahjbrown | November 29, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Everyone seems to forget that the economy began to go sour at the end of the Bush Administration and this problem was inherited by Obama. It unfortunately takes time to get the economy back on track. I know how it feels, because I was out of work for 21 months and just started a job this month.

Posted by: DRSMERC11 | November 29, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DRSMERC11 | November 29, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DRSMERC11 | November 29, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

"The George and Weezie Jefferson story ... played out in real life."

go to hell, archie bunker.

Posted by: joew22 | November 29, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I wish he spent more time playing and less time screwing up the country

Posted by: fairfaxgoper | November 29, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Of course he will......I've heard that basketball is very popular in the Federal Pen!!

Posted by: TexRancher | November 29, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

The President was heard to mutter as he left the court ... "It's George Bush's fault!"

Posted by: johne37179 | November 29, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: johne37179 | November 29, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Headline:
"Obama: Don't worry, I'll keep playing basketball"
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Thank God...I was so worried.

Posted by: jimbob3 | November 29, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Headline:
"Obama: Don't worry, I'll keep playing basketball"
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Thank God...I was so worried.

Posted by: jimbob3 | November 29, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

The George and Weezie Jefferson story ... played out in real life.

Posted by: blackforestcherry | November 29, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Maybe if this guy spent as much time working on job creation for the 15 million unemployed, we might actually see an improvement in the unemployment numbers. Oh, that's right, he doesn't have a CLUE on how to do that. Hope you Obozo supporters are happy you elected the world's most inexperienced man--a man who never held a "real" job, and has no idea how the economy works, how to create jobs or how to run a business--let along a country. He's just good at "living large" at the taxpayers expense.

Posted by: kavalair | November 29, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

The more Obama plays basketball or with himself. The less time he has to cause greater damage to the country.

Posted by: Defund_NPR | November 29, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Don't lean in so far on D next time Obama. Stay upright and on your toes dude!

Posted by: FLvet | November 29, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

What else can this man possibly say to appear even more shallow.

Posted by: blackforestcherry | November 29, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse