Posted at 5:37 PM ET, 11/22/2010

Rangel apologizes to supporters for his 'acts of omission'

By Paul Kane

Read the full letter from Rangel (PDF).

Calling the recommendation by the House ethics committee for his censure "one of the most difficult days of my life since I was left for dead in North Korea," Rep. Charles B. Rangel (D-N.Y.) issued an apology Monday to his supporters for the ethical breaches that have led to his problems.

"I apologize for the embarrassment I have brought upon you. I truly believe public officials have a higher responsibility than most Americans to obey the rules because we write them. There is no excuse for my acts of omission. All of this has been brought upon me as a result of my own mistakes," the former chairman of the powerful Ways and Means Committee wrote in an email to his supporters.

Rangel continued to insist he was not seeking "personal gain in my actions," and embedded in the email the video clip of the top counsel of the House ethics committee at last week's trial saying he saw no evidence of "corruption" in Rangel's actions.

The email did not solicit funds. The reference to North Korea was related to Rangel's military service in the Korean War.

The House is expected to take up the committee's recommendation for a censure next week at some point. The recommendation follows Rangel's conviction last week on 11 counts of breaking congressional rules related to his personal finances and his fund-raising for a New York college from corporations with business before the Ways and Means Committee.

The lawmaker, whose tearful plea for mercy last week was rejected, indicated he has no intention of resigning.

"For fifty years in public service, I have had the honor to work with many of you to defend the disadvantaged and the voiceless. My commitment to you, our cause and to our country remains as strong as it ever has been," he wrote.

By Paul Kane  | November 22, 2010; 5:37 PM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Palin: I won't 'waste my time' with Katie Couric
Next: Barbara Bush: Housekeeper put fetus in jar

Comments

Confucious said :"Those who lack the capability for forgiveness,will never posess the wondrous
gift of a lasting erection!"

Posted by: CINQDOIGTS | November 27, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I have to say,I feel a lot of respect for a man who admits his faults,and apologizes.
And I believe that, as he says, it was not for any personal gain.
Tom DeLay on the contrary,remains defiant
even though a jury of his peers found him guilty.

Posted by: CINQDOIGTS | November 27, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Rangel apologizes " Little different than the attitude he had a few weeks ago , especially after a bunch if idiots in Harlem voted his sorry Azz back to corruption . He reminds me of so many people who are about to die, and all of a sudden there's a God and they ask His forgiveness. Oh yeah, is this really where the term , " Born again Christian " emanated ? I've always wondered . Does that mean that you weren't a Christian before , or that you were a lousy one before, or that you died as a Christian and were reborn ? And what about all those who remained Faithful ? Do they get a higher place in Heaven ? After all we have the Parable of the Prodigal Son to ponder in this light. And if the Faithful don't gain a higher place , then it's like the United States military. All the loyalty is on the way up, and none filters it's way back down. Anyone that has served knows what the Hell I'm talking about in that regard.

Posted by: puck-101 | November 27, 2010 4:13 AM | Report abuse

The diagnosis is "narcissistic personality disorder." There is treatment available so there are no excuses Charlie!

Posted by: inewsmaster | November 24, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Not taking responsibility to the bitter end. Hey Charlie, got some love for Wesley Snipes? How about a recommendation to commute his sentence? How about a job on your committee's staff?
He walks away without paying for his crimes (yes that's what they are folks) and his district re-elects him. They deserve what they get.

Posted by: pielusztcontractor | November 23, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Well, Wesley Snipes is going to jail for the same offense, being an idiot with your taxes. He's black..Rangel is ...well sort-of black, though he'll put the chip on his shoulder and play the card with the best of them - I mean it does keep him in office doesn't it? the eternal finger pointing and spreading of the victimhood mythology.

So Rangel walks tearfully (after 3 years of giving the finger to everybody). Snipes goes to prison. Snipes is not a politician though. Guess it makes a difference being a politician, doesn't it?

Posted by: wjc1va | November 23, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wjc1va | November 23, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Charlie Rangel uses every opportunity to calim his innocence. In my eyes he is still a cheat, fraud, liar and swindler. He'll never change either.

Posted by: npsilver | November 22, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Rangel should consider himself lucky. They should have saved him for the Republicans in January.

Posted by: georgegarrett | November 22, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wjc1va | November 22, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wjc1va | November 22, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wjc1va | November 22, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Dear friends, do you want to have some different

things? Whether you want to give your relatives and

friends, take a few different exotic gifts? Whether you

want to buy some cheap benefits of thing? So please,

let us begin now!

Click on our website

(= = = = = http://www.ashops.us/ = = = = = )

Will bring you different surprise

Posted by: lizhiyong126 | November 22, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Dear Charlie

The next time you are working with the US Tax Code, please insert language in the text making "ethical lapses" without evidence of "criminal corruption" a defense for not paying our federal taxes.

Thanks

Taxpayer

Posted by: dnickell | November 22, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I'm going to try the 'Rangel Apology':

Dear wife:

I'm banging the babysitter. I apologize for the embarrassment I have brought upon you. There is no excuse for my acts of omission. All of this has been brought upon me as a result of my own mistakes.

However, I will accept no punishment and I'm certainly not going to stop banging the babysitter.

Dear IRS:

I didn't file a tax return last year. I apologize for the embarrassment I have brought upon you. There is no excuse for my acts of omission. All of this has been brought upon me as a result of my own mistakes.

However, I will accept no punishment and I'm certainly not giving you the money I owe you.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | November 22, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Wesley Snipes wants to know if he can get any love from "his" NYC Congressman? He's serving 36 months for lesser crimes!

Posted by: madstamina | November 22, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

How about considering tax legislation affecting organizations you were hitting up for donations to your college archives? How about that one, Cheater Rangel? You want to go ahead and apologize for that one too?

Posted by: cprferry | November 22, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

If he wasn't a politician he would be sitting in jail for tax evasion, but then we all know they are above the laws that they write for us to follow or go to jail.

Posted by: viejo70 | November 22, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Many double standards in the swamp. This is just one.

Posted by: MRGB | November 22, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Gee! I forgot to say:

He's Black, Democrat and a member of Congress. Can't be more innocent than that!

Can't wait to see Maxine Waters being made a saint of Congress!

Posted by: TexRancher | November 22, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Give me a break Rangel: Say it like it is -- Apologize for your CRIMINAL acts!

Posted by: TexRancher | November 22, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

If he's still got his job, he hasn't really been punished. The 'censure' is utterly meaningless and everyone knows it.

Posted by: momof20yo | November 22, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse