Posted at 12:02 PM ET, 01/ 6/2011

Joe Biden gives girls dating advice (video)

By Rachel Weiner

While swearing in new senators on Wednesday, Vice President Joe Biden welcomed their daughters with his favorite piece of advice. Over, and over, and over.

"Just remember, no dates 'til you're 30," Biden told young female relatives of Sen. Barbara Mikulski, (D-Md.), Sen. Michael Bennet, (D-Colo.), Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), among others. ABC News has compiled a video:

As you might guess, Biden has used this joke many times before. Here's one anecdote from an October appearance in Dickson City, Pennsylvania:

Sydney Toy, 12, of Carbondale got a picture with the vice president, and her poster signed. "He told me not to date boys until I'm 30!" Toy said, adding she probably won't listen to him.

Of course, Biden and his wife Jill met on a blind date when she was merely 23. If the vice president has dating advice for young men, we have yet to find video of it.

By Rachel Weiner  | January 6, 2011; 12:02 PM ET
Categories:  2010 Election, 44 The Obama Presidency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama chooses William Daley as chief of staff
Next: Boehner: Budget office "entitled to their opinion" on health care repeal's deficit impact

Comments

Date early and often keep from being serious for a time until you find a compatable mate. Remember the old saying: Women choose men with potential that they see that they can change- they don't. Men see women that they hope will stay the same - they don't.

Posted by: ttbird | January 10, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Funny man that Joe Biden, great human.

Please remember that by age 34 Down Syndrome probability climbs to 1 in 400. That is scary and I know because it happened to my daughter who had 2 children and decided not to abort. Now this boy is hard for her as she decided to have her 4th child and new baby girl is fine and now my daughter has an 8 year old who does not speak and wears diapers and a baby also in diapers. She does not complain except that she is tired alot. Oh yes she is quite brilliant with loads of energy but doing her job plus baby stuff musy be difficult. Daddy/Grandaddy

Posted by: ttbird | January 10, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Joe Biden is a great guy. Funny even with the gaffs.
Just a note of seriousness in the dating business. Look at the statistics of Down Syndrome. Dramatically increases after 30th year. By 34years of age Downs probability is 1 in 400 births.

Posted by: ttbird | January 10, 2011 2:17 PM | Report abuse

He's first peace of advice was to stay far away from Bill Clinton.

Posted by: richard36 | January 7, 2011 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Darn! The headline is comical, but the article disappoints. Joe being Joe, I was expecting something more, like a jaw dropping gaffe about the merits of reverse cowgirl or something...

Posted by: ozpunk | January 7, 2011 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone have a picture with him advising Bristol Palin??

Posted by: madstamina | January 6, 2011 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Wonderful.
Share a website with you ,
fashionable + popular men's clothing and women's dress
beautiful shoe + tide bag。
delivery is free.

Posted by: itkonlyyou440 | January 6, 2011 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Wonderful.
Share a website with you ,
fashionable + popular men's clothing and women's dress
beautiful shoe + tide bag。
delivery is free.

Posted by: itkonlyyou440 | January 6, 2011 9:35 PM | Report abuse

What an absolute fool. More embarrassing every time he opens his big mouth.
Typical democrat politician.

Posted by: LarryG62 | January 6, 2011 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Vice Predident stiffs
waiters and bartenders.
He talks about caring about
the working class and does not tip
when he dines out

Posted by: Armand405 | January 6, 2011 5:18 PM | Report abuse

it was a joke, folks. Irony!

Posted by: John_Keats | January 6, 2011 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Darn! The headline is comical, but the article dissapoints. Joe being Joe, I was expecting something hilarious like a jawdropping gaffe about the merits of reverse cowgirl or something equally improper...

Posted by: ozpunk | January 6, 2011 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ozpunk | January 6, 2011 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ozpunk | January 6, 2011 4:49 PM | Report abuse

My Daughter met him at a Regatta, got the same advice and a photo!

Posted by: kmartin10 | January 6, 2011 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Sarcasm at its finest! You better listen girls for the world will NEVER forgive your past.

Posted by: 4567892 | January 6, 2011 4:12 PM | Report abuse

joe giving advice about dating? does this apply to DADT folk? more wapo BS

Posted by: pofinpa | January 6, 2011 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a Biden fan, but I've seen the guy in person and he comes across as extremely likeable. A good guy. I believe 100% of his so-called gaffes are intentionally done. I saw make one once and it was hysterically funny.

Lighten up,Guys.

Posted by: tallyhohohoho | January 6, 2011 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I had different advice for my daughter. I encouraged her to bring her young men home with merely the admonition that I didn't want to see any boyfriends, just potential husbands.

Posted by: edbyronadams | January 6, 2011 3:03 PM | Report abuse

So let me get this straight, no dates until 30? An age by which women's fertility has already declined by something like 50% if not more? And the planet that this man is living on is called what, again?

This comment would be funny if it wasn't so dangerous. There's been a slew of articles in the press recently (written by women, no less) imploring women to NOT postpone their plans to start a family since they're most fertile in their 20s.

Coming from an "old-school" guy like Biden it's pretty weird to hear something like that. I would've thought he'd come up with something more traditional.

Posted by: eugene8 | January 6, 2011 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I think it's great. Hey girls, don't get all caught up in boys when you can change the world. Focus on you and your goals and leave the belly-baring to someone else!

Posted by: intheUSA1 | January 6, 2011 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: intheUSA1 | January 6, 2011 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Another slow news day at WaPo?

Posted by: dcharles1 | January 6, 2011 2:49 PM | Report abuse

What I don't like about the joke is that these girls were there precisely because women are undervalued in the work place and the senators' bringing their daughters to work was supposed to show them that they can achieve things, too. By making that joke, Biden was subtly putting the girls back into the very role the bring-your-daughter-to-work program was trying to combat.

In any case, he's the VP. He's got the press at his heels. Surely he could come up with something that a) is funny; and b) isn't subtly insulting.

Whew! I feel better now.

Posted by: iliad123 | January 6, 2011 2:44 PM | Report abuse

"But it's my only line!"

Posted by: joshlct | January 6, 2011 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what Sarah Palin's advice would be given her family history?

Posted by: group5 | January 6, 2011 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Nobody loves Joe more than Joe. He is the gaff master and king, but this is all harmless humor and no malice intended. Even I will cut the guy a break on this one.

Posted by: chipgiii | January 6, 2011 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I generally like Joe Biden, but that comment is horrible. It's telling females that they are delicate little flowers, not to be trusted, and not capable of being confident and strong while interacting with members of the opposite sex. It's also an insult to men by saying they are too horny to treat females with any decency. That is not a stance the Vice President should take.

Posted by: iliad123 | January 6, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iliad123 | January 6, 2011 1:29 PM | Report abuse

You think he'd suggest Weopia for dating

Posted by: Karjar | January 6, 2011 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Bipartisan dating advice. Firm but fair. I like it.

Posted by: AmyFitz | January 6, 2011 1:05 PM | Report abuse