Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 4:00 PM ET, 01/26/2011

Senate Democrats: House GOP budget plan would cost 1 million jobs

By Felicia Sonmez

Senate Democrats Wednesday seized on a proposal by a group of conservative Republicans that would cut spending by as much as $2.5 trillion over 10 years, arguing that the plan would cost one million jobs.

Republicans countered that the Democrats' "so-called analysis doesn't pass the smell test," noting that by reducing spending, their plan would keep dollars in the pockets of families and job-creators.

At a Capitol news conference Wednesday, Democratic Sens. Charles Schumer (N.Y.), Dick Durbin (Ill.) and Patty Murray (Wash.) decried a plan put forth by the Republican Study Committee as political posturing, contending that if put into action, it would not only stunt the country's economic growth but also undermine national security by doing away with nearly 13,000 law enforcement jobs.

"It's clear the Republican plan to reduce spending is far more political than it is serious," Schumer said.

In a report released Wednesday, Senate Democrats broke down the job losses that they claim would accompany the RSC's plan. Democrats argued, for instance, that doing away with $4 billion in small business loans would cost 161,600 jobs; that eliminating federal support for Amtrak would cost 160,000 jobs; and that cutting off funding for the national health care overhaul would put up to 400,000 jobs at risk.

The Democratic report also stated that 4,000 FBI agents, 3,000 food safety inspectors and 6,000 nuclear safety workers would lose their jobs if the spending cuts passed, endangering the country's security.

"What I have heard from the Republicans is disconcerting," Murray said. "They want to have a fire sale. They want to sell off our country."

On Tuesday, the House passed a resolution calling on Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) to instruct the House appropriations subcommittees to cut their budgets to 2008 levels or below.

While House GOP leaders aim to reduce spending by about $60 billion for the current fiscal year, they are facing pressure from conservative members who are pushing for even greater cuts.

The RSC described the Senate Democrats' claims on Wednesday as "outlandish."

"Clearly, Senate Democrats either forgot or never learned that money does not grow on trees," RSC communications director Brian Straessle said. "Every dollar they borrow or tax out of our economy must first be taken away from families and job creators in the private sector. Using their ridiculous logic, borrowing $100 trillion and lending it back out to the private sector would somehow create over 4 billion new jobs. And only a truly out-of-touch liberal could believe that 400,000 jobs will suddenly vanish if we stop ObamaCare from bankrupting the country."

A spokesperson for House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) defended Republicans' efforts to slash the budget, contending that spending cuts are necessary to spur job growth and that the fact that the economy is still struggling shows that federal stimulus dollars have not been effective.

"We need to cut spending to help create jobs -- the American people get that, even if Washington Democrats don't," Boehner spokesperson Michael Steel said. "They keep carping for more of the same government 'stimulus' spending that just hasn't worked, and everyone knows it."

By Felicia Sonmez  | January 26, 2011; 4:00 PM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: House votes to do away with public financing of presidential campaigns
Next: Sarah Palin turns Obama's 'Win the future' into 'WTF' (video)

Comments

Led by Obama, the Democrats want to "freeze the federal budget" at current levels.

Of course, they forget that the last four years of Democrat control of Congress have seen the federal budget increase roughly 25%.

Such convoluted thinking -- any freeze at current spending levels would be a guarantee of future bankruptcy.

Schumer and his Democrat henchmen are not worth listening to because they deal only with smoke and mirrors. Even the numbers they now offer are not founded on fact.

It's time for truth and reality. Cut the federal budgets now before we have to start asking the Chinese for permission to do anything.

Posted by: RonKH | January 28, 2011 4:35 AM | Report abuse

Give it a break, Republicans! You tried your ridiculous tax breaks for the wealthy. You removed government regulations until businesses ran amok and roughshod over American citizens. You consistently, persistently hold the poor and the impoverished in contempt. Sit down, shut up, and allow responsible and responsive adults to run the country that you ran into the ground.
John TG

Posted by: JohnTG10 | January 27, 2011 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Give it a break, Republicans! You tried your ridiculous tax breaks for the wealthy. You removed government regulations until businesses ran amok and roughshod over American citizens. You consistently, persistently hold the poor and the impoverished in contempt. Sit down, shut up, and allow responsible and responsive adults to run the country that you ran into the ground.
John TG

Posted by: JohnTG10 | January 27, 2011 7:30 PM | Report abuse

As suspected when I read the "headline", the Democrats refer to jobs that would have been supposedly create under all the new laws they enacted over the past two years. Jobs that are funded by Tax Revenues rather than real commerce and industry.

That is the real difference between the Dems and the Republicans - WHERE the jobs are "created" - in the government or in the private sector.

Posted by: LMW6 | January 27, 2011 12:31 PM | Report abuse

What nonsense. The Trillion Dollar stimulus, the $1.5 Trillion deficit, the $14 Trillion Debt and a bloated Federal government imposing more and more regulations is what is causing a slowdown in business activity and unemployment.

Posted by: acahorvath | January 27, 2011 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I'm kind of confused, didn't he Repubs just push a 900 billion tax cut for billionaires that didn't even want it? Then they had the nerve to vote against the 9,11 first responders healthcare. And to top it all off, they just voted against legislation to stop fraud and abuse of our tax dollars - again. Just like in 04, 06 and 08. Oh, and they did it in secret so that that thieving Pubtart can hide from the people. Smart man.. I guess he didn't want to wake up to a protest outside his home.

Posted by: HemiHead66 | January 27, 2011 11:04 AM | Report abuse

This is all part of the Conservative GOP plan to shrink government, first proposed back in 2000, bankrupt the Federal Government, and force it to shrink. The solution to our problems is simple, raise taxes on the top 2% who are now spending their excess money (Continuing gifts from GWB and the current GOP) who are simply increasing their ownership of assets in America. Firing Federal employees will only slow down the economy, cutting costs which result in more firings likewise will hurt the economy. Sometimes, one has to spend money to make money, and create jobs, though technology, infrastructure, and reestablishing our manufacturing base.
why is it that the GOP Icon Ronald Reagan understood that taxes were a necessary evil, but the current GOP does not? Why is it that the GOP could allow Bush to go to war on two separate occasions, and not demand those wars be paid for, and then grant tax cuts on top of those wars? That is a first in American history! Then of course we have "deregulation" the mantra of the GOP, which when implemented, along with the Bush "Blind Eye" towards the Regulated activities resulted in the current financial mess, which cannot be fixed in two years.
The fact is the GOP ia a master of deception and distortion for its own purposes. We hear the carping that the Stimulus did not create any jobs. What the GOP does not say is that this same stimulus did in fact save over 1.3 million jobs, which would have been lost, but for that stimulus.
The GOP got us into this mess, and now suddenly, people believe they can get out our with these same failed policies? It is somewhat like allowing a relative who likes to drink and drive borrow your car after he has wrecked both of his.
GOP=No plan, no solution,just the same old buzz words and failed polices, all in a new brightly wrapped package with a nice shinny bow. A prime example is this waste of time on repealing Obamacare. Show us something better, then repeal it. They have nothing better, they will never have anything better, they just want to go back to the way it was, with annual rate increases, purges, cancellations, and denials. This is the GOP/Teaparty plan for America.

Posted by: ATC444 | January 27, 2011 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Clearly, the Republicans pursuing these tax cuts, and consequently cut in the regulatory and security related jobs, feel the War on Terrorism is over. If this is so, time to bring the troops home and decrease the debt by cutting the military budget. Heaven knows where we're going to put all the unemployed and lower paid workers due to the expansion of the employable. Better get those private investments going real fast or workman's compensation, medicaid, emergency health care, and other offsetting costs will bump up the debt again. Unless - Unless we just let them drift on the winds and whim of the marketplace.

Posted by: ntmcdowell | January 27, 2011 8:07 AM | Report abuse

How could Democrats possibly have any credibility in forecasting how many jobs will be lost if big cuts in Federal spending were enacted?

This is the same bunch that projected unemployment would not exceed 8% if the $800 billion pork barrel stimulus package was enacted.

It is as if the Dems want our Bond ratings to be downgraded which will result in a crisis of epic proportions.

Can you even imagine what will happen if we are revisited with the inflation rates and interest rates that were present in the late 7o's and early 80's?

Posted by: mmcmain42 | January 27, 2011 7:07 AM | Report abuse

How could Democrats possibly have any credibility in forecasting how many jobs will be lost if big cuts in Federal spending were enacted?

This is the same bunch that projected unemployment would not exceed 8% if the $800 billion pork barrel stimulus package was enacted.

It is as if the Dems want our Bond ratings to be downgraded which will result in a crisis of epic proportions.

Can you even imagine what will happen if we are revisited with the inflation rates and interest rates that were present in the late 7o's and early 80's?

Posted by: mmcmain42 | January 27, 2011 7:05 AM | Report abuse

What would the Democrats know about creating jobs?

Based on the last four years of Democratic rule, it appears that whatever is proposed by these jokers, do the opposite.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | January 27, 2011 1:01 AM | Report abuse

When comparing effective tax rates only Russia, France & Britain undercut America's 27% rate, while rates are higher in Germany, Canada, India, China, Brazil, Japan & Italy. If companies are so hooked on comparing statutory tax rates they can move to Italy and get a rate around 32% as compared to 39% for the U.S.; however, Italy's effective rate is an astounding 50% after all is said and done compared to 25% for the U.S.!

http://mediamatters.org/research/200902030003

"In its August 2008 report, the GAO estimated that "[t]he average U.S. effective tax rate on the domestic income of large corporations with positive domestic income in 2004 was an estimated 25.2 percent." Further, in its Paying Taxes 2009 publication, based on its 2009 Doing Business report, the World Bank-International Finance Corporation estimated that the United States has a lower effective rate of current corporate tax than several developed economies, including Germany and Italy. Moreover, in June 2007, the Treasury Department concluded: "If special provisions were eliminated, the top corporate tax rate could be lowered to 27 percent or more than 40 percent expensing could be provided to all businesses for new the cost of tangible investments, and the tax system would produce the same level of revenue."

Posted by: starpopper | January 26, 2011 9:12 PM | Report abuse

the IOU, to the Chinese stops here. thats the sign on obamas desk

Posted by: getsix1 | January 26, 2011 9:11 PM | Report abuse

its not spending its investing, not really the same thing. just like stimulating the economy wasn't, or tarp. its for main st not wall street, jobs jobs jobs, and shovel ready jobs. its like a ad campaign focused on a child, this is how this administration views the public

Posted by: getsix1 | January 26, 2011 9:03 PM | Report abuse

I would think that a rather low bal estimate, and one that does not take into effect the impact that the sharp decreases in opportunity to the middle class would have over time. The tea-oh-pee are the anti-Americans. Instead of investing in education and development of new and more effecient energy, infrastructure, transportation etc. they are cutting the knees out from the nation in a way that will hurt the country for generations. Eisenhower took office in 1953. republicons had been shut out of the WH since the triumverate of Hardin Coolidge and Hoover so badly mismanaged the nation that the conservative laissez faire policies drove us into the Great Depression. republicons thought that Ike would step into office and go along with their insane plan to repeal the New Deal. Eisenhower was no fool. He left the New Deal intact, and undertook a massive program of public spending to complimen the investments that had been made during FDR and Truman's terms. Conservatives were FURIOUS and hated Ike forevermore. You never hear republicons talk about their last successful president, they instead yao on and on about that putz reagan.

we would be ill served to listen to the same lunatic Birchers and xenophobes that Ike so blithely ignored half a century ago. If he had listened to those fools the Cold War would have been over long before reagan ever got out of Hollywood, and you rightards who like to wial about communism would be quickly suppressed, but at least you would have something to actually complain about. Commerade.

Posted by: John1263 | January 26, 2011 9:01 PM | Report abuse

I would think that a rather low bal estimate, and one that does not take into effect the impact that the sharp decreases in opportunity to the middle class would have over time. The tea-oh-pee are the anti-Americans. Instead of investing in education and development of new and more effecient energy, infrastructure, transportation etc. they are cutting the knees out from the nation in a way that will hurt the country for generations. Eisenhower took office in 1953. republicons had been shut out of the WH since the triumverate of Hardin Coolidge and Hoover so badly mismanaged the nation that the conservative laissez faire policies drove us into the Great Depression. republicons thought that Ike would step into office and go along with their insane plan to repeal the New Deal. Eisenhower was no fool. He left the New Deal intact, and undertook a massive program of public spending to complimen the investments that had been made during FDR and Truman's terms. Conservatives were FURIOUS and hated Ike forevermore. You never hear republicons talk about their last successful president, they instead yao on and on about that putz reagan.

we would be ill served to listen to the same lunatic Birchers and xenophobes that Ike so blithely ignored half a century ago. If he had listened to those fools the Cold War would have been over long before reagan ever got out of Hollywood, and you rightards who like to wial about communism would be quickly suppressed, but at least you would have something to actually complain about. Commerade.

Posted by: John1263 | January 26, 2011 9:00 PM | Report abuse

America's corporate tax of 35% may be the highest of industrialized nations by a few points but the EFFECTIVE tax rate that companies pay after deductions is extremely competitive. In fact almost 30% of companies pay absolutely NOTHING!

The effective tax rates for industry are as follows: aerospace/defense=1.6%, transportation=4.3%; industrial/farm equipment=6.2%; telecommunications=
7.5%; electronics/electrical equiipment=10.8%; oil & pipelines=13.3%; gas/electric utilities=14.4%; Computers/software/office equipment=16%; metals=17.4%.

http://reclaimdemocracy.org/corporate_welfare/real_tax_rates_plummet.php

In fact, not a single industry paid more than 29% in taxes after deductions so the loud chorus of business leaders pining for lower taxes in order to compete with other nations is laughable. This is why it's possible to lower our corporate tax rate to 20% while eliminating all loopholes and STILL be able to collect more revenue!

I have two words for those companies threatening to leave the U.S. for foreign shores: "governmental risk"! When you consider nations like Cuba, Venezuela, Russia, etc, confiscating & nationalizing corporate assets or governments changing the rules & tax rates haphazardly, or even institutionalized corruption increasing effective tax rates, then the U.S. looks like a bargain!!!

Posted by: starpopper | January 26, 2011 8:52 PM | Report abuse

America's corporate tax of 35% may be the highest of industrialized nations by a few points but the EFFECTIVE tax rate that companies pay after deductions is extremely competitive. In fact almost 30% of companies pay absolutely NOTHING!

The effective tax rates for industry are as follows: aerospace/defense=1.6%, transportation=4.3%; industrial/farm equipment=6.2%; telecommunications=
7.5%; electronics/electrical equiipment=10.8%; oil & pipelines=13.3%; gas/electric utilities=14.4%; Computers/software/office equipment=16%; metals=17.4%.

http://reclaimdemocracy.org/corporate_welfare/real_tax_rates_plummet.php

In fact, not a single industry paid more than 29% in taxes after deductions so the loud chorus of business leaders pining for lower taxes in order to compete with other nations is laughable. This is why it's possible to lower our corporate tax rate to 20% while eliminating all loopholes and STILL be able to collect more revenue!

I have two words for those companies threatening to leave the U.S. for foreign shores: "governmental risk"! When you consider nations like Cuba, Venezuela, Russia, etc, confiscating & nationalizing corporate assets or governments changing the rules & tax rates haphazardly, or even institutionalized corruption increasing effective tax rates, then the U.S. looks like a bargain!!!

Posted by: starpopper | January 26, 2011 8:51 PM | Report abuse

they are like drug addicts that just got cut off. they will lie cheat and steal to get a fix we need to lock congress in a room for two months with nothing but food, call it money rehab

Posted by: getsix1 | January 26, 2011 8:43 PM | Report abuse

We need to rid ourselves of the Bush Super Big Government programs of Patriot Act, Illegal Wiretaps, and Homeland Security. Eliminating these alone can balance the budget. People are tired of BIG government. Americans can handle their own well-being.

For frosting on the cake we can slash the $1.4 Trillion Defense and Defense related programs in half and it will give us a huge surplus. We need to get back to the founding fathers idea of defense as outlined in the US Constitution.

Posted by: Maddogg | January 26, 2011 8:37 PM | Report abuse

they forgot to say how many will lose their jobs in the porno industry with so many government employees being let go they will have to go on line at home or the loss if income for on line shopping, or chatting on the phone. the phone company's will suffer also thats why we need lots of government employees they keep the economy going

Posted by: getsix1 | January 26, 2011 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Can we tone down the "vitriol" just a bit. I'm now a lunatic, Nazi, or Marxist who advocates revolution. It must get very tedious trying to have an adult discussion with someone like you.

I'm no expert (like you), but I can guarantee, 1) not every (if any) developed country taxes total global corporate income on home-based companies. Most countries negotiate tax treaties with trading partners to ensure that corporations pay what they should, but are not doubly taxed. Certainly when overseas profits are repatriated they are taxed at the going rate, but not while they remain invested in other countries.

Secondly, your contention that most US based corporations pay NO corporate income tax on profits generated within the US is absurd... much like you.

Posted by: r_loveland | January 26, 2011 7:58 PM | Report abuse

The GOP claims their serious about deficit cutting, yet they just added 700 billion to the deficit by voting in the tax break for the rich. These politicians have gone insane, attack the working class, poor, but continue to satisfy the greed of the rich. What gets me is their not shy about this fact, every republican is proud of this huge mistake. I would say future contributions for elections will be very positive in 2012

Posted by: shipfreakbo214 | January 26, 2011 7:36 PM | Report abuse

r_loveland - Everyone needs to record the careful wording of your claim. Sure, we have an one paper corporate tax rate that is amongst the highest in the world, but we allow for deductions that no other country in the world allows. So, multinational corporations get to write off offshore investments, not claim money made in China, when every other country taxes these bloated treasonous swine in their WORLD WIDE INCOME. So, why don't we just do that? Cut the corporate tax rate in half but do away with any and all deductions and tax them on their world wide income. Because, then, those corporations would actually have to pay taxes. The reality is two-thirds of the largest US based corporations pay absolutely NO state or federal income taxes at all. And, since they have managed to get Congress to dump trade tariffs, duties, fees, and any of the regulations other countries use to protect their domestic workers, you have managed to pit US workers directly against Chinese and Indian workers that cost a *total* of less than $1 an hour. AND, since no worker, anywhere, can survive on that, those governments *subsidize* food, housing, medical care, just about everything. They are Nanny States and that is precisely what you are driving this country into. Either we pull out of the free trade Ponzi Schemes you have been running or we face national bankruptcy, a socialist government, and an end to our democracy. It's that, or a very violent revolution, much like the one that occurred during the French Revolution, a revolution that had it's beginnings in precisely the same economic lunacy you advocate. I expect you are rather confused, though, and are trying to figure out if you are really a Marxist or a Nazi, because there ain't no middle ground for the kind of nonsense you blather on and on about.

Posted by: mibrooks27 | January 26, 2011 7:17 PM | Report abuse

The GOP claims their serious about deficit cutting, yet they just added 700 billion to the deficit by voting in the tax break for the rich. These politicians have gone insane, attack the working class, poor, but continue to satisfy the greed of the rich. What gets me is their not shy about this fact, every republican is proud of this huge mistake. I would say future contributions for elections will be very positive in 2012

Posted by: shipfreakbo214 | January 26, 2011 7:17 PM | Report abuse

r_loveland - Everyone needs to record the careful wording of your claim. Sure, we have an one paper corporate tax rate that is amongst the highest in the world, but we allow for deductions that no other country in the world allows. So, multinational corporations get to write off offshore investments, not claim money made in China, when every other country taxes these bloated treasonous swine in their WORLD WIDE INCOME. So, why don't we just do that? Cut the corporate tax rate in half but do away with any and all deductions and tax them on their world wide income. Because, then, those corporations would actually have to pay taxes. The reality is two-thirds of the largest US based corporations pay absolutely NO state or federal income taxes at all. And, since they have managed to get Congress to dump trade tariffs, duties, fees, and any of the regulations other countries use to protect their domestic workers, you have managed to pit US workers directly against Chinese and Indian workers that cost a *total* of less than $1 an hour. AND, since no worker, anywhere, can survive on that, those governments *subsidize* food, housing, medical care, just about everything. They are Nanny States and that is precisely what you are driving this country into. Either we pull out of the free trade Ponzi Schemes you have been running or we face national bankruptcy, a socialist government, and an end to our democracy. It's that, or a very violent revolution, much like the one one that occurred during the French Revolution, a revolution that had it's beginnings in precisely the same economic lunacy you advocate. I expect you are rather confused, though, and are trying to figure out if you are really a Marxist or a Nazi, because there ain't no middle ground for the kind of nonsense you blather on and on about.

Posted by: mibrooks27 | January 26, 2011 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Of course it will cost jobs. That's the whole point!

The GOP sabotaged the stimulus program by forcing 40% of it to be tax cuts. They knew that if the unemployment rate was high, they could blame Obama. Now they want more of the same.

It's called the Train Wreck Theory. Damage the economy enough, put enough Americans out of work, and force the repeal of the New Deal. Leading conservatives like Grover Nordquist speak openly of it. They want it. They lust for it. And now it's within reach.

Too bad if America has to suffer for the conservative dream.

What they don't want is the proven success of Keynesian stimulus. Then no Train Wreck. Oh, that won't do at all!

Posted by: Garak | January 26, 2011 7:10 PM | Report abuse

"We need to cut spending to help create jobs"

Now there's an oxymoronic statement if I ever heard one!

Posted by: markiejoe | January 26, 2011 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: josh13 | January 26, 2011 6:07 PM: "Businesses are leaving because the US over taxes"

Really? Since the US has one of the world's lowest tax rates
-------------------------------------------Josh - You are confusing personal income tax with corporate tax. You're mostly correct regarding personal income tax, but the US has one of the highest corporate income taxes of any developed country... about 47% including federal and state corporate taxes. Most EU countries are at least 10% less than that, with rapidly emerging countries like Brazil (35%), China (25%), and Turkey (20%) much lower. That's one key reason why they are growing so rapidly.

Corporations can (and do) move, but they take very few people with them.

You use terms like shallow, greedy, selfish, and ignorant whiners for people who wish to hang onto more of the money they've earned rather than, at least in their view, have it squandered by federal bureaucrats.

Can one assume you fall into a tax bracket wherein you pay no federal income tax? Perhaps your parents do, though.

Posted by: r_loveland | January 26, 2011 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Of course it will And the Democratic plans have already cost us more than 5 million jobs in just the past two years! Obama stands up before the nation and warns us that the "world economic rules have changed". Well, he and Bush and Clinton changed them. They and the idiots in Washington stripped us of trade tariffs and duties, when no one else in the world did, and the result is that US workers are forced to compete directly with Chinese and Indian workers costing around $1 an hour! And, this fool (and those "free market" twits that post on forums like this one) full well knows that China and India DO have tariffs and they use the money raised from those tariffs to subsidize food, housing, medical costs, education, their entire infrastructure, because the alternative is starvation and a mass revolt. So they have this bloated Nanny State, which I expect Obama and the entire free trade crowd see us heading; good little serfs and peasants that are delighted to receive any kind of government handout because they alternative is starvation, massive deaths due to disease, ignorance for the common folk where democracy is strangled. The way out of this mess, they ONLY way out of this mess, is to bring back those trade tariffs our government blindly dumped, make them 50% or higher, and impose duties and fees on any imports, and to tax multinational corporations on their world wide income. Some will leave and that is well and good. We can replace them with new American small businesses that employ American workers, small businesses protected behind trade walls, businesses that serve this country. One way or another, we need to kill the free trade beast, because it is the gravest threat this country has ever faced.

Posted by: mibrooks27 | January 26, 2011 6:49 PM | Report abuse

The covert Republican goal is a double-dip recession, which they intend to create and then to blame on Obama in order to elect a Republican president next year.

Posted by: chuck8 | January 26, 2011 6:43 PM | Report abuse

"Everything this man (Obama) has done resulted in even more insecurity in the economy"

Really? Like saving GM and its several hundred thousand workers in the private sector?

LIke saving thousands of teaching jobs right here in Oregon thanks to depressed state income taxes?

Like getting us out of Iraq, and its costs?

Like helping millions gain access to health care insurance so one can get decent care without going bankrupt?

Like supporting several major banks from going under thanks to the housing crisis that came on during the previus administration?

I could go on...

Again, what a baseless whiny rant. Heaven forbid the right ever has to use facts to substantiate the lies they perpetrate.

The rights blatant, ignorant lies to discredit our president (both your and my president) is downright unpatriotic as well as idiotic.

Posted by: josh13 | January 26, 2011 6:40 PM | Report abuse

The covert Republican goal is a double-dip recession, which they intend to create and then to blame on Obama in order to elect a Republican president next year.

Posted by: chuck8 | January 26, 2011 6:38 PM | Report abuse

We don't believe what Democrat Senators say, they have been lying to us all along.

Posted by: kalamere | January 26, 2011 6:34 PM | Report abuse

lindalovejones wrote: So long as President Obama continues to be successful...

I have to assume you're not pulling our collective legs with this comment, so that raises the question of how exactly do you define success?

Everything this man has done resulted in even more insecurity in the economy, which resulted in even less hiring.

You must be working in the public sector.

Posted by: r_loveland | January 26, 2011 6:30 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree with Josh 13, the only hope Republicans have of regaining the White House is to keep the economy down and to do all they can to prevent the American People of having more jobs.

So long as President Obama continues to be successful, Republicans will surely try to hold America back, and the GOP will continue to offer suggestions to lose even more jobs.


Posted by: lindalovejones | January 26, 2011 6:16 PM | Report abuse

"Businesses are leaving because the US over taxes"

Really? Since the US has one of the world's lowest tax rates, I'd be interested in your fantasy that businesses are leaving to go... uh... where ... to China? Tax rates in every other modern industrialized nation exceed tax rates in the US by a surprisingly wide margin, especially for the richest Americans (exception are countries like the Cayman Islands and a few others who count on overseas - that is, US - money to fund their own infrastructure. No production or industry, just collect moneys so investors don't have to pay taxes in their own country)

Fact: Business money leaves the US because labor is dirt cheap in India and CHina.
Fact: Large businesses often centralize their offices in "tax havens" offshore to avoid paying any US taxes whatsoever. This forces individuals to pay a greater tax share.

Give me any credible evidence we are overtaxed (esp. business taxes), other than your own selfish desire to horde more money in your own account.

The cry we are "overtaxed" is baseless and falls to the ignorant who echo the cries of the rich, or the people who make gobs of money because of this rant (Palin, Beck, Limbaugh, etc.)

What a bunch of shallow, greedy, selfish, ignorant whiners the right has become.

Posted by: josh13 | January 26, 2011 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Like two kids on a playground: "Did too!" "Did not!" "Did too!" "Did not!" Boys! Boys! Quiet down. You can't both be right. Let's examine the facts. Yep. Congress screwed up by repealing Glass-Steagall. Gramm-Leach-Bliley: thank you for crashing the economy and killing jobs. One consolation: Only the *BEST* people gained during the Great Recession. Made out like bandits in fact.

Posted by: BlueTwo1 | January 26, 2011 5:46 PM | Report abuse

It is in the interest of the GOP to keep jobs down so that it will be a key campaign issue in 2012.

Posted by: mingkeeper | January 26, 2011 5:34 PM | Report abuse

It is in the interest of the GOP to keep jobs down so that it will be a key campaign issue in 2012.

Posted by: mingkeeper | January 26, 2011 5:31 PM | Report abuse

TO: bcarte1 who wrote:
“… Never missing an opportunity to spend more, got to love Democrats and their ability to spend other people’s money.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

While you’re at, may as well remind yourself how Bush pitched to Republican Voters that shipping jobs overseas was a good thing in the long run, even though it would cost American jobs, and you bought into that drivel so deep that you STILL support it.

You’re not against spending, you’re just against Democrats. Republicans borrowed and spent America two generations ahead of where we are now and YOU still vote for the GOP, so what’s THEIR incentive to stop spending? They have none.

No matter how much Bush and the Republicans borrowed and spent, they’re still your heroes. So what’s your point?

Posted by: lindalovejones | January 26, 2011 5:26 PM | Report abuse

TO: docwhocuts who wrote:
“Senate dems have NO CREDIBILITY.
ignore them.
these idiots pass the stimulus, on the promise of unemployment not rising over 8%.
time to ignore crying liberals.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Whatever you say about Democrats, you have to consider that Republicans have done NOTHING AT ALL to even try to create more jobs.

All Republicans have said for the past 2 years is “no.”

Republicans screwed up the economy to begin with, and have done NOTHING to make things better because it’s in the GOP’s best political interest to STOP anyone from working, and it’s probably their only chance of trying to win the White House, save the fact that they don’t have any legitimate candidates.



Posted by: lindalovejones | January 26, 2011 5:25 PM | Report abuse

TO: docwhocuts who wrote:
“Senate dems have NO CREDIBILITY.
ignore them.
these idiots pass the stimulus, on the promise of unemployment not rising over 8%.
time to ignore crying liberals.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Whatever you say about Democrats, you have to consider that Republicans have done NOTHING AT ALL to even try to create more jobs.

All Republicans have said for the past 2 years is “no.”

Republicans screwed up the economy to begin with, and have done NOTHING to make things better because it’s in the GOP’s best political interest to STOP anyone from working, and it’s probably their only chance of trying to win the White House, save the fact that they don’t have any legitimate candidates.



Posted by: lindalovejones | January 26, 2011 5:25 PM | Report abuse

TO: docwhocuts who wrote:
“Senate dems have NO CREDIBILITY.
ignore them.
these idiots pass the stimulus, on the promise of unemployment not rising over 8%.
time to ignore crying liberals.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Whatever you say about Democrats, you have to consider that Republicans have done NOTHING AT ALL to even try to create more jobs.

All Republicans have said for the past 2 years is “no.”

Republicans screwed up the economy to begin with, and have done NOTHING to make things better because it’s in the GOP’s best political interest to STOP anyone from working, and it’s probably their only chance of trying to win the White House, save the fact that they don’t have any legitimate candidates.



Posted by: lindalovejones | January 26, 2011 5:19 PM | Report abuse

"by reducing spending, (the Republican) plan would keep dollars in the pockets of families and job-creators..."
------------------------------------
Maybe - but thats not where the dollars are needed. Those dollars need to circulate and stimulate the economy through a multiplier effect.

Now if you NEED to cut spending, I would suggest eliminating the TSA; our country managed to struggle along without them for decades quite nicely - how cost effective are they, anyway? Be serious!

Posted by: shadowmagician | January 26, 2011 5:12 PM | Report abuse

The Democrats are just out of touch with reality.

You cannot keep taxing people so you can live off them with your wasteful spending.

The majority of people WITH MONEY will leave this country and then who will you tax oh wise ones?

Businesses are leaving because the US over taxes them to pay for socialist wasteful spending on projects and jobs and programs we do not need.

Raising taxes is not a solution. The solution is lowering taxes, which puts more money in the pockets of individuals and businesses AND here's the doozy, reduce spending to those income levels of taxes...which means government is going to have to either FIRE people or reduce their salaries to bring them in line with the private sector.

Government is over-bloated and wasteful. They need to raise taxes because they don't even know how to balance their budget.

Posted by: cavatellie | January 26, 2011 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Senate dems have NO CREDIBILITY.

ignore them.

these idiots pass the stimulus, on the promise of unemployment not rising over 8%.

time to ignore crying liberals.

Posted by: docwhocuts | January 26, 2011 4:44 PM | Report abuse

The only thing that's to help this country are massive tax increases. It won't hurt the average person, they're already unemployed; the U.S needs the 2 trillion dollars corporate America is sitting on; period.

Posted by: bigisle1 | January 26, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

"Every dollar they borrow or tax out of our economy must first be taken away from families and job creators in the private sector."

If the job creators would use their money to create jobs, the problem would be solved.

Republicans want to keep unemployment high because it increases their chances of beating Obama in 2012.

Posted by: ad9inaz | January 26, 2011 4:26 PM | Report abuse

"Every dollar they borrow or tax out of our economy must first be taken away from families and job creators in the private sector."

If the job creators would use their money to create jobs, the problem would be solved.

Republicans want to keep unemployment high because it increases their chances of beating Obama in 2012.

Posted by: ad9inaz | January 26, 2011 4:25 PM | Report abuse


YES WE CAN!


According to Dems we can spend ourselves to prosperity, see what the national debt has bought us already.


Never missing an opportunity to spend more, got to love Democrats and their ability to spend other people’s money.


Posted by: bcarte1 | January 26, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse


YES WE CAN!


According to Dems we can spend ourselves to prosperity, see what the national debt has bought us already.


Never missing an opportunity to spend more, got to love Democrats and their ability to spend other people’s money.


Posted by: bcarte1 | January 26, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse


YES WE CAN!


According to Dems we can spend ourselves to prosperity, see what the national debt has bought us already.


Never missing an opportunity to spend more, got to love Democrats and their ability to spend other people’s money.


Posted by: bcarte1 | January 26, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse


YES WE CAN!


According to Dems we can spend ourselves to prosperity, see what the national debt has bought us already.


Never missing an opportunity to spend more, got to love Democrats and their ability to spend other people’s money.


Posted by: bcarte1 | January 26, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Post a Comment

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions.




characters remaining

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company