Posted at 5:00 PM ET, 02/18/2011

House government funding resolution debate: By the numbers

By Felicia Sonmez

Updated Saturday, 5:00 a.m.:

Chances are if you tuned into C-SPAN at any point this week, you caught a glimpse of the marathon session in the House of Representatives as lawmakers debated hundreds of proposed spending cuts, on top of the $61 billion in reductions already proposed by Republicans last week.

House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) opened up the process to all lawmakers as promised.

The result?

A flurry of amendments offered by members of both parties; often-surprising votes on the House floor, with party leaders at times voting against each other; and a freewheeling debate that has seen members arguing until the wee hours of the morning on everything from the removal of the grey wolf from the Endangered Species List to sewer improvements in Tijuana, Mexico.

The funding resolution passed early Saturday morning on a 235-to-189 vote. Here's a look at the spending debate by the numbers:

583 -- The number of amendments proposed by House members to the government funding measure.

153 -- The number of amendments that were considered on the House floor. (That's not including seven amendments that were withdrawn by their sponsors.)

67 -- The number of amendments adopted by the House. Fifty-four of those were offered by Republicans, 13 by Democrats. Not all of the amendments would cut funding; some would shift funds from one program to another.

86 -- The number of amendments rejected by the House (through either a vote or a procedural move made by another lawmaker).

90 -- The number of hours lawmakers had debated the government funding measure as of early Saturday morning, according to House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.).

3 -- The number of hours lawmakers debated Thursday night on an amendment sponsored by Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.) that would defund Planned Parenthood.

3 p.m. Thursday -- The original target time for a final vote on the spending bill.

4:35 a.m. Saturday -- The actual time the final roll call vote on the continuing resolution took place.

By Felicia Sonmez  | February 18, 2011; 5:00 PM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Conservative budget amendment fails House amid fissure among Republicans
Next: Intel chief sounds a gentler note on Obama

Comments

Balancing the budget involves both sides of the ledger income and disbursements.

1) The GOP has done nothing about increasing income, most particularly about income that would not affect 99% of the tax payers. The wealthy have gotten their free pass again.
2) They have done nothing about the largest discretionary item in the budget, the funding of "National Security" where there is way more than $60B to be saved.
3) Item after item in the bill has to do with small budget items like NPR, women's health care, etc that are about the three R's of the conservatives, Retaliation, Revenge and Retribution.
4) They have done nothing about savings by opening Medicare Part D to 1st world competition, from say Canada, Ireland, UK and Germany.
5) They are against regulations that benefit the corporations like Exxon (my former employer who pays no taxes), the coal industry, ... but does nothing to reduce our dependence on foreign oil and the negative balance of payments.
6) They are for de-funding the items that will give us real national security which is to educate our children and increase our competitiveness in the world. To transfer tax incentives from the obsolescent fossil fuel industry to emerging green energy sector. 100 years ago the GOP would have provided tax brakes to the buggy whip industry.

BTW, to the paid bloggers from Americans for Progress and Freedom Works, go back to your homes in the mine caves of West Virginia.

Posted by: stanassc | February 19, 2011 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Balancing the budget involves both sides of the ledger, income and disbursements.

6) They are for de-funding the items that will give us real national security which is to educate our children and increase our competitiveness in the world. They are against transferring tax incentives from the obsolescent fossil fuel industry to emerging green energy sector. 100 years ago the GOP would have provided tax brakes to the buggy whip industry.

Posted by: stanassc | February 19, 2011 12:36 PM | Report abuse

BTW -- MAN UP! and rework all the federal benefits SS and medicare, medicade.

But if you are going to do that:

___________________________________________
VP, Do you have a job? I ask because you seem to be completely ignorant to the concept of Social Security. This is not a Federal Benefit. I have paid into Social Security all of my working life. I have never missed a day of work in my life. I have never collected a penny from the government, but I have indeed invested in our society, and like all reasonable Americans, I expect a return on my investment. The reason I am entitled to Social Security is because I have fulfilled my part of a social contract by paying into this system all of my life. Unless and until the people who are responsible for ruining our economy are willing to pay, why should I be?

You don't care if the government shuts down until something impacts your life. Then you will care.

Why don't you pull your head out VP. You know who is going to "rue the day"? The Repukes and Teatards who promised to create jobs and reduce the size of government and then, when given the power, attacked gays, women and unions.

Posted by: winks_lbj | February 18, 2011 4:27 PM | Report abuse

BTW -- MAN UP! and rework all the federal benefits SS and medicare, medicade.

But if you are going to do that:

___________________________________________

Posted by: winks_lbj | February 18, 2011 4:26 PM | Report abuse

BTW -- MAN UP! and rework all the federal benefits SS and medicare, medicade.

But if you are going to do that:

___________________________________________

Posted by: winks_lbj | February 18, 2011 4:25 PM | Report abuse

End the $$Billions$$ of Coal Industry Tax subsidies.

The Coal industry gets Billions in taxpayer subsidies for mining coal (manufacturing deduction for hard mineral fossil fuels), the expensing of exploration costs and freedom to pollute air and water resources. The Energy Daily ( http://www.eenews.net/EEDaily/2011/02/18/8 ) reports that “moves to significantly increase safety and environmental oversight of mining has angered the industry.”

Ordinary taxpayers are the ones who have to make up the difference by paying 20~30% of their salary in taxes to offset Billions in explorations tax subsidies for wealthy coal companies who lavish their investors with profits built on their ability to pollute at public expense.

Massey Energy, paid an average of 5.6 percent of its profits in federal income taxes over the last three years, despite large profits (1/6th of federal 35% rate).

A recent Harvard study “Full cost accounting for the life cycle of coal” found that the lifecycle of coal coast Americans $300~500 Billion a year (17.8cents/KWh).

Posted by: Airborne82 | February 18, 2011 2:44 PM | Report abuse

My question to the GOP--Where are the jobs? I thought you were going to create all these jobs.

Posted by: tinyjab40 | February 18, 2011 1:50 PM | Report abuse

"44: The Obama Presidency
The latest White House news from the Post's political team."

What are the Republicans doing today Felicia?

Posted by: FoundingMother | February 18, 2011 1:31 PM | Report abuse

FROM A SURPLUS TO THE DOORSTEP OF A GREAT DEPRESSION

chucko2 put it quite well:
Senator Coburn, it is not a failure to lead but rather the Republican parties fiscal irresponsible tax policy. Simply look at any chart of the national debt. Under Carter, national debt was flat to slightly down. Reagan runs on a balanced budget, immediately passes a whopper tax cut and the debt goes increase 186% for the rest of his term and continues growing dramatically under Bush 41. Clinton wrestles it under control and actually has a balanced budget leaving office.

Bush 43 and a Republican congress immediately pass more tax cuts and start wars. The debt starts climbing then deregulation started under Reagan catches up and our economy collapses and Bushes last budget produces a $1 Trillion deficit.

And the Republican response to their massive debt. Blame it on entitlement and insist on the extension of the Bush tax cuts.

Posted by: Here2day | February 18, 2011 11:11 AM | Report abuse

1. I do not care if the 2011 budget bill reaches 2000 pages -- like the idiotic obamacare bill.

2. I don not care if the government shuts down -- so that argument does not worry me.

3. I think the House and Senate should stay in session versus going home for a break.

4. The Senate will rue the day -- if they do not cut this 2010 budget along with the House.

AND -- we need to get cracking on the 2011 budget NOW

BTW -- MAN UP! and rework all the federal benefits SS and medicare, medicade.

But if you are going to do that:

1. immedately -- add contributory requirement for federal pensions and healthcare.

2. abolish the Department of Education

3. Do NOT tell me again that if we do not raise taxes and add programs -- the USA will simply fall apart. IT IS A LIE!

Posted by: fngVP | February 18, 2011 10:58 AM | Report abuse

The reason the Republicans are not talking about Medicare or Medicaid is that tackling the deficit is not their goal at all. They had eight years to do that, but in fact made it worse.

They have a much shorter term goal in mind, which is to enact immediate budget cuts in this fiscal year in order to slow down or reverse the recovery. In doing so they will be in a better position in 2012 to blame Democrats for the failing economy and get their guy elected.

Posted by: capmbillie | February 18, 2011 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: capmbillie | February 18, 2011 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: capmbillie | February 18, 2011 9:50 AM | Report abuse

So be it! So be it! I would imagine Boehner & his fellow Republican's will eat these words. Christy, I feel sorry for New Jersey. Patience is a virtue, to view the future is more prosperous than to be hasty now! Palin and Bachmann SHUT UP!

Posted by: Beverly7649 | February 18, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Beverly7649 | February 18, 2011 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Nobody wants to talk about Medicare or Medicaid. Very depressing. Republicans determined to undermine cost savings in health care reform to prove that government can't work. Even more depressing.
Wealthy abandoning the public stock market for exclusive private investments i.e. facebook? I need a therapist.

Posted by: mpdemaio | February 17, 2011 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Catastrophe looming, brought to us by Republicans. So be it.

Posted by: frodot | February 17, 2011 8:48 PM | Report abuse