Posted at 8:40 AM ET, 02/ 9/2011

Michelle Obama on 'Today' show: President doesn't dye his hair (video)

By Emi Kolawole

First lady Michelle Obama continued her full-court press to mark the one-year anniversary of her "Let's Move" anti-obesity initiative, joining NBC "Today" show host Matt Lauer for an interview that bounced from Egypt to hair dye to Facebook.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Lauer first queried the first lady on her husband's handling of the uprisings in Egypt.

"I'm not going to comment on his policy decisions," she demurred, going on to say, "I wish the people of Egypt the best, and I know America will do the right thing."

Lauer then asked her to follow-up on her remarks yesterday that the president had kicked his decades-long smoking habit. "I was asked," Obama said, in defense of her having weighed in on the topic.

"Once he made the commitment to quit, I left him alone" she continued, calling it "a very personal thing."

Asked if the president might occasionally sneak into the Lincoln Bedroom for a smoke, the first lady said it wasn't possible. "I know he's not, you can tell."

The first lady also made it clear that the 2012 elections were far from her mind, saying "I'm not thinking about it right, now. ... It's not on my radar screen."

Lauer pressed on the subject, outlining that the Obama daughters, Malia and Sasha would be in their teens if the family were to stay in the White House for eight years. "Don't, don't, don't," Obama said, waving her hands, "You're killing me."

But the first lady didn't let it rest there, referring to past presidential children like Chelsea Clinton and Barbara and Jenna Bush as evidence of the White House being a potentially positive influence on her daughters. "We've got a pretty good track record," she said of previous first ladies.

Asked about the economy, Obama was quick to defend her husband saying, "He has kept every single promise that he's made."

The first lady also discussed the one-year anniversary of the "Let's Move" campaign, addressing some of the criticisms that have been leveled at her over the disparity between her call for healthier meals and the White House Super Bowl party menu, which featured bratwurst, an assortment of beers and cheeseburgers and other high-calorie items.

"You're not going to take my kids' tater-tots?" asked Lauer.

"Do you want 'em to have the tater-tots?" countered Obama.

"I want to have the tater-tots," responded Lauer.

"I've always talked about balance in this campaign," said Obama, defending the White House Super Bowl menu. "I do talk openly about my obsession with french fries. ... Life is about good food, at least in America."

Lauer, armed with two photographs of the president--one showing his hair graying, the other with it still looking dark-colored--next asked the first lady whether her husband dies his hair.

"No, he's pretty gray," Obama said, emphatically enough that Lauer seemed to agree that the difference in the photos must be due to lighting.

"I think that if he had known was he was going to be president he would have dyed his hair ten years ago," Obama went on. "... I wish that he would focus more on a different color suit, a new shirt. ... He cares very little about his appearance."

The first lady also revealed that her daughters do not have Facebook accounts (legally they are not old enough to use the social networking tool, although that rule is widely ignored by the pre-teen set).

FLOTUS mentioned "constraints" like the Secret Service, but acknowledged that even without the agents around, she would not likely allow Malia, 12, and Sasha, 9, on the site. "I'm not a big fan of young kids having Facebook," said Obama.

By Emi Kolawole  | February 9, 2011; 8:40 AM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jane Harman says Patriot Act extension passed, but it didn't
Next: White House budget director huddles with House Democrats

Comments

Who care if Mr. Obama dyes his hair or not. That is the least of my worries or if Ms. Obama wears 35.00 dress.

Posted by: Stewart913 | February 10, 2011 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Whether you love or hate him it is very commendable to quit smoking while in one of the most stressful jobs on the planet. I hope its true, its the best thing you can do for your health: http://blog.mydiscoverhealth.com/

Posted by: JSC22 | February 9, 2011 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JSC22 | February 9, 2011 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JSC22 | February 9, 2011 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Obama is a master at double talk. I'M SICK OF IT.

Posted by: farmsnorton | February 9, 2011 1:32 PM | Report abuse

One of the posters worried about medicare and social security seems to be confused on WHO is calling for reductions, It is the republican party, after demanding tax breaks for the wealthy.(THIS IS THEIR JOB, THIS WHO FUNDS THEM)

Democrats are funded by unions they CANNOT cut medicare and social security, as these are the people who fund them.

Its tough being a republican, you must look out for the wealthy by convincing the poor that it is in their best interest, after all if we want to give tax breaks, and not raise tax,s. we must raid other programs meant for the working poor, to fund the rich, who invest oversea's

Posted by: dv1236 | February 9, 2011 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dv1236 | February 9, 2011 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I really dont give a hoot what Michelle wears and I am certain she does not care about my clothing choice.
I dont care if our incompetant Pres. smokes or doesnt smoke. All tjis is bunk.
What is important to the people is SURVIVAL, SS and Medicare for Seniors.
Obama cares less, he hasen't as thing to worry about. He wanted to be set for life and now if he is not reelected he would care less.
One other thing, I understand government is giving cell phones for people who need to use in emergencies. I live in a small village and there is a tower, but Verizon will not service this community, not enough money fin it for them. I had a near death incident, no cell phone to call for help, and if it werent for a stranger who saw the incident I would be dead today. My car plunged 30 feet down a ravene. Car and steering wheel on top of me.. Stranger, not non existing cell phone, saved my life. I had to be helicopted to Albany Med. Hopefully by next year I will regain all my facilties. I am 84 years old so I dont really have that much time. Lynn Parker (845) 688-7604

Posted by: LOONYBIN2000 | February 9, 2011 11:17 AM | Report abuse

The last few times I've seen the President on TV it looks like he is going gray anyway. Same thing happened to Clinton and Bush II after a few years.

Posted by: Mike8429 | February 9, 2011 10:54 AM | Report abuse

So in the last two days we have learned that the POTUS has stopped smoking and he doesn't dye his hair. I can't wait until tomorrow's revelation. What can it possibly be? Maybe we'll learn that he can actually say good morning without the aid of a teleprompter. Nah, just dreaming I guess.

Posted by: Bcamp55 | February 9, 2011 9:24 AM | Report abuse

From what I've seen, it looks like Obama is allowing his hair to slowly turn gray. This way it will be totally gray by 2012 and he'll look like a venerated leader like Nelson Mandela. He might even have to help it along if it doesn't turn gray in time for the 2012 election.

Posted by: Paaa | February 9, 2011 9:23 AM | Report abuse