Posted at 12:21 PM ET, 03/ 9/2011

Newt Gingrich: 'Passion for the country' led to personal indiscretions (video)

By Emi Kolawole

Former House speaker Newt Gingrich gave an interview to the Christian Broadcasting Network to speak about his past indiscretions, the coming presidential race and what he calls the threat to "Judeo-Christian society."

"There's no question at times of my life, partially driven by how passionately I felt about this country, that I worked far too hard and things happened in my life that were not appropriate," said Gingrich during an interview with CBN's David Brody. "What I can tell you is that when I did things that were wrong, I wasn't trapped in situation ethics, I was doing things that were wrong, and yet, I was doing them," he continued, going on to say that he had sought "God's forgiveness. Not God's understanding, but God's forgiveness."

Gingrich speaks about his past indiscretions

Gingrich goes on to emphasize his age and the experience he has gained since that time. "Callista and I have a great marriage," said Gingrich. "Forget about all this political stuff. As a person, I've had the opportunity to have a wonderful life, to find myself now, truly enjoying the depths of my life in ways that I never dreamed it was possible to have a life that was that nice."

Gingrich's appeal to the Evangelical community comes a week after the announcement that he is "exploring" a potential presidential 2012 bid -- a bid that could prove difficult (if not impossible) without the strong support of Evangelical Christians who may find it difficult to move past Gingrich's past.

Gingrich on the qualities of a great president

Asked about the qualities of a great president, Newt gave his assessment saying, "You want to be able to look into them and understand, do they share my values?" - an echo of past criticisms leveled against President Obama. Gingrich also said the president would need to be "ideally, a unifier of the nation," echoing former president George W. Bush's vow in 2000 that he would be a "uniter not a divider."

Gingrich on the attack against "Judeo-Christian civilization"

Gingrich also weighed in on the threat that "secular, atheist, elitism" and "radical Islamists" posed to "Judeo-Christian civilization:"

Newt Gingrich: "In a sense, our Judeo-Christian civilization is under attack from two fronts. On one front, you have a secular, atheist, elitism. And on the other front, you have radical Islamists. And both groups would like to eliminate our civilization if they could. For different reasons, but with equal passion."

Gingrich's comments come two days before Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.), chairman of the Homeland Security Committee, is scheduled to hold a hearing on radical Islam -- an event that has drawn strong reactions from both sides of the aisle.

By Emi Kolawole  | March 9, 2011; 12:21 PM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency, Eye on 2012
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: VIDEO: 'Foolish' college kids 'just vote their feelings,' New Hampshire speaker says
Next: President Obama's statement on the death of David Broder

Comments

Newt says he doesn't believe in situational ethics or avoiding personal responsibility or anything but his love of country really did force him to tell his wife he was leaving her while she was lying in a hospital bed while fighting cancer.

Republicans prove again they really are morally superior to the rest of us.

I can't wait 'til Newt's next appearance on Hannity and Sean gets to go on and on regarding his OUTRAGE the liberal media has misinterpreted Newt's defense simply because it's improbably self-serving.

Posted by: ptrppr100 | March 10, 2011 5:29 PM | Report abuse

"Love of country made me do it" is just hysterical.

"The pressure of the job made me do it" is not such a ringing endorsement for the guy who wants to be President.

But isn't the scariest part when he announces: God has forgiven me? Really, Newt? Did he text you or email you or what? Does the man who touts his Christianity lack all humility? How about: I have asked God for his forgiveness. I pray he will forgive me. I hope he will forgive me. How the hell does Newt know what God has actually decided?

Posted by: fmjk | March 10, 2011 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I had BJs in the parking lot because I love my country soooo much!
Now that's what I call a true Tea-Bagging Patriot!

Posted by: hayden1 | March 10, 2011 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Thank almighty God himself that Newt will save our civilization by involking the Judeo-Christian clause, you know, after he gets that added to the Constitution in the 28th Amendment.

Then, we can get God to fix our bridges and potholes, also to automatically win necessary wars against all those non-Judeo-Christian countries. Then we won't have to pay any taxes, and gasoline will be free!

Posted by: usblues1 | March 10, 2011 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm confused, but I think I like Newt's religion. I thought most maintstream Christian religions espouse that divorce is a bad, bad thing. Further, affairs are also bad, bad, bad. And add lying in there, too. What has Newt done for penance since he was in Congress? Oh, that's right. He's been padding his pockets with speaking and consulting fees. "Thank You Jeaus!"

Posted by: lifelongdemocrat | March 10, 2011 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Please understand the man. He loves his country men, more so his country women. So he has more of them than any normal person. Can you imagine how patriotic Bill Clinton was when he had an affair with Monica Lewensky?
Newt dumped his 1st wife when she was in the hospital with cancer. He dumped his second wife when she was diagnosed with MS & was in her mother's place. On Mothers' Day he visited her & told her of the dumping. Of all the scums...

Posted by: sarvenk63 | March 10, 2011 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sarvenk63 | March 10, 2011 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Hey Newt, your God might forgive you but my God thinks you're and a-hole.

Posted by: metroman76 | March 10, 2011 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Hey Newt, your God might forgive you but my God thinks you're and a-hole.

Posted by: metroman76 | March 10, 2011 7:25 AM | Report abuse

What a joke this guy is. Repugs love their moral failures and felons. And, they love to invoke religion, personal redemption, and forgiveness when they can't keep it in their pants. And, to think this guy was breaking bad (very bad) all the while attacking Clinton with a vengeance about his moral failures.

Gingrich has less than a snowball's chance in hell of getting close to the presidency.

Posted by: mglbrown1 | March 10, 2011 6:46 AM | Report abuse

Newt's real passion was for an appendage of his body.

Posted by: DCSage | March 10, 2011 6:15 AM | Report abuse

Instead of the Devil made me do it; Newt claims Uncle Sam made him do it.
Whatever works. Typical Newt, always deflecting blame away from himself onto someone else.
Presidential timber? Not so much; sort of a smart Sarah Palin. Both lacking gravatis and self awareness. Both total jerks.

Posted by: mikepost1 | March 10, 2011 6:03 AM | Report abuse

You can be sure that the rubes will lick this up..... like always......rubes.....

Posted by: seakeys | March 10, 2011 5:50 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Gingrich is a poster child for what ails American politics. He is a narcissistic, avaricious, token Christian whose entire existence has been an exercise in the bait and switch. What we need now are people of integrity and humility whose ambition is not to remain in office for as long as possible but to leave the country a little better than they found it.

Posted by: JDYoung | March 10, 2011 5:19 AM | Report abuse

It wasn't HIS cuntry that he had a passion for.

Posted by: baldinho | March 10, 2011 5:15 AM | Report abuse

I suppose none of you skeptics will believe that Newt always paused to sing the national anthem first.

Posted by: TheOLeary | March 10, 2011 4:26 AM | Report abuse

For someone who's supposed to be so smart -- this is a really dumb thing to say and do. He needs to quit while he's sortof ahead! Too bad he didn't think about his future life -- years ago, when he was fooling around on his wife and country! TOO MUCH BAGGAGE!!! Not interested! You play w/fire -- you get burned!

Posted by: Carrieann2 | March 10, 2011 3:38 AM | Report abuse

Poor Newt:

Not even the stupidest teabagging wingnuts are going to buy this load of tripe...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Posted by: wvining | March 10, 2011 3:18 AM | Report abuse

Oh, puh-leeze. It's sort of like saying 'My drunkeness for power led to my alcoholism' or 'My addiction to power led to my drug use' or some such tortured Gingrichian nonsense. This guy was a royal jerk when he became Speaker of the House 16 years ago and he still is. I believe in redemption, but it ought to come after real, not politically-expedient, contrition. Gingrich should have had the grace to just fade away after his controversial and contentious 15 minutes in the spotlight.

Posted by: joel18 | March 10, 2011 2:29 AM | Report abuse

This is an 'Onion' article, right? Right?

Posted by: overhereontheleft | March 10, 2011 2:15 AM | Report abuse

This is an 'Onion' article, right? Right?

Posted by: overhereontheleft | March 10, 2011 2:15 AM | Report abuse

After hearing this speech, I know that I cannot vote for anybody else, but Newt.

Posted by: pyee | March 10, 2011 2:06 AM | Report abuse

The man is shameless. He actually says this without busting out laughing!

Posted by: FauxReal | March 10, 2011 1:13 AM | Report abuse

I guess this is why it is so important for the GOP to keep that Defense of Marriage Act charade up -- or should that be Defense of Marriages. He's on his third wife??? Swell.

Posted by: cghjoyce | March 10, 2011 12:59 AM | Report abuse

nuthergeorge1 noted- "It's true! Patriotism IS the last refuge of a scoundrel! Thanks, Newt."

It seems like it is time to look to Ambrose Bierce istead of Dr. Johnson.

Bierce noted "With all due respect to a learneed if inferior lexicographer, patriotism is not the last refuge of a scoundrel. It is often the first."

Jusging from the rhetoric emanating from all sides, "Bitter Bierce" is being proven correct every day.

Posted by: jhherring | March 10, 2011 12:57 AM | Report abuse

what a load of BS. just be like...she was there, i wanted to...

i think this country is ready for Bullworth. or bowfinger for that matter...

Posted by: weblurker1 | March 10, 2011 12:53 AM | Report abuse

what a load of BS. just be like...she was there, i wanted to...

i think this country is ready for Bullworth. or bowfinger for that matter...

Posted by: weblurker1 | March 10, 2011 12:52 AM | Report abuse

It's true! Patriotism IS the last refuge of a scoundrel! Thanks, Newt.

Posted by: nuthergeorge1 | March 9, 2011 11:44 PM | Report abuse

It's true! Patriotism IS the last refuge of a scoundrel! Thanks, Newt.

Posted by: nuthergeorge1 | March 9, 2011 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Newt was orchestrating Clinton's impeachment for lying about adultery while Newt himself was committing adultery. 'Nuff said.

Posted by: SilverSpring8 | March 9, 2011 11:40 PM | Report abuse

I am sure lots of republican base had tears when reading this BS.

Posted by: ftetu

---------------------------------------------

Don't count on it. I've heard lots of lame excuses for things people have done in the past, but this one takes the cake.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | March 9, 2011 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Hahahahahahahahahahahahah. Sure it wasn't the brain below his belt?
Oh wait, he said it was passion for the county. Doesn't that mean he wants to screw us all?

Posted by: pjohn3 | March 9, 2011 11:18 PM | Report abuse

The dog ate my adulteress.

Posted by: ibidibid | March 9, 2011 11:17 PM | Report abuse

God help us. If he runs, eventually someone will interview the love of his life, v3.0.

She must be dumber than a bag of rocks, to believe his B.S...

Wait! I got it! This is all part of a vast right wing conspiracy to make Sarah Palin look articulate.

That's the only way this makes any sense.

Posted by: rwolf01 | March 9, 2011 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Here's an idea, Newt: stop apologizing to God, whom you do not have the power to hurt. Start apologizing to the people whose lives you destroyed.

Posted by: Blurgle | March 9, 2011 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Newt is a piece of work!

As contemptible as I think he is for his marital infidelities, who he does the horizontal mambo with is not something I need to think or even know about. God knows that I certainly don't WANT to think about such things. But my greatest concern is that he, being an insufferably egomanical wingnut ideologue, would screw America.

Posted by: post_reader_in_wv | March 9, 2011 11:09 PM | Report abuse

The boy is delusional. BTW he needs to ask forgiveness from his wives not God.

Posted by: therev1 | March 9, 2011 10:50 PM | Report abuse

I am impressed... I never thought I would see "hiking the Appalachian Trail" unseated as most laughable euphemism for adultery ever. Bravo, sir!

Posted by: Goombay | March 9, 2011 10:47 PM | Report abuse

What the WHAT?!

Posted by: ravensfan20008 | March 9, 2011 10:37 PM | Report abuse

My American friends, you deserve Newt as your two term president as payback for the King hearings. There is a God. Beware.

Posted by: trueone | March 9, 2011 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Its secularism that allows u to not be stoned to for adultery Newt so how about you shut the f##k up.

One only need to look at Iran or Saudi Arabia to see how big a threat religious literalism is. Deal with it

Posted by: Chops2 | March 9, 2011 10:32 PM | Report abuse

I can go along with Newt on a lot of his policy stuff, but these personal revelations are beyond the pale.

Posted by: Bitter_Bill | March 9, 2011 10:30 PM | Report abuse

I love this country and I work hard. Does that justify my cheating on my wife? I don't think so. Gingrich's justifications for his repeated failures to keep his pants on is a calmer version of Charlie Sheen. Both have been out of control and neither have the sense to apologize and disappear. Instead, due to their mania and distorted self-importance, both think the nation "needs" to continue to hear from them. WRONG!

Posted by: tlehman1117 | March 9, 2011 10:26 PM | Report abuse

The hypocrisy of this guy know no boundaries. The crop of prospective GOP candidates are dysfunctional as they get.

Posted by: rcc_2000 | March 9, 2011 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Sorry I forgot also to mention that this guy is so full of it, you could give him an enema and bury him in a matchbox.

Posted by: bucinka8 | March 9, 2011 10:12 PM | Report abuse

LOL, this looney bin sounds like the liberal sociologists he hates: screwed around the way he did because of environmental factors...the incredible pressure to love his country...through his zipper. I love it. I hope he runs. It'll be a laugh a minute. Between him and Huck it's gonna be a lot of fun.

Posted by: rkgood | March 9, 2011 10:03 PM | Report abuse

CLOWN!

Posted by: whocares666 | March 9, 2011 9:59 PM | Report abuse

If he became president, He might leave us for Canada or South Korea.

Posted by: grunk | March 9, 2011 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Are you effing kidding me? You really expect us, the voting public, to buy this?

Behold, fellow citizens, a person who will do or say ANYTHING to get elected. Do not trust him at any cost.

Posted by: bucinka8 | March 9, 2011 9:50 PM | Report abuse

He's only running to replenish his bank account (collect campaign funds to launder for personal use and sell books to his true believers). No way he would win even one primary or caucus. And he knows it.

Posted by: DemoDevil | March 9, 2011 9:40 PM | Report abuse

If this isn't that clown's Waterloo, I don't know what is. This is right up there with Hastert's "youthful indiscretion" as a 40-something on the hubris scale, the main difference being that Newt for some reason still takes himself seriously.

Posted by: Mountaineer87 | March 9, 2011 9:38 PM | Report abuse

That's right, Newt, get all of these female skeletons out of your closet before you TRY to become REAL. What a disgrace you are! YOU in the WHITE HOUSE? It'll never happen! You are nothing more than a buffoon who right now is trying desperately to coral good people into your den of sin and corruption. Your words are empty; your gestures are horrific - you are probably one of the least most likely to succeed.

Posted by: rbsher | March 9, 2011 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Let us not forget that Newt was reprimanded by the House ethics panel over charges that he used tax-exempt funding to advance his political goals. Has he asked God for forgiveness for that too?

Posted by: nansev | March 9, 2011 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Gingrich is kidding, right? No, he really thinks his "passion" for his country is an excuse for his adultery. Cheez, my 4th grade students can come up with better excuses than that.

Posted by: jjedif | March 9, 2011 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Newt - still the same phoney, flatulent philanderer he always was. Who in their right mind would vote for this egotistical gasbag? Posted by: Bushwhacked1
-------

Oh you are SO on target!!! You have that POS nailed down perfectly.

Posted by: mooncusser | March 9, 2011 9:27 PM | Report abuse

I am full of admiration for this man! At last, a good solid all-purpose excuse for misbehaving! "My passion for America...."

...led me to vigorously sample that product of Kentucky corn country and before I knew it I went through ALL of the bourbon.

...led me to work too hard, oh my I was disoriented and unmoored as I careened with a head full of patriotic furvor into the strip club.

...directly and undeniably caused me to take solace in the arms of that recent Swedish immigrant as we tried to express our nationalistic furvor in a way that overcame our native language barrier, thank God for the Republic!

I am now equipped to sin like a Newt!

Posted by: roboturkey | March 9, 2011 9:09 PM | Report abuse

You have to love reverend Newt. This guy is a regular walking country and western song. Newt needs to move to Bakersfield, California, maybe cut a record with Merle Haggard.
Hell, I would rather read the Reverend Newt Gengrich comics than Doonesburry!

Posted by: Rlupodimare | March 9, 2011 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bushwhacked1 | March 9, 2011 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Hell, I would rather read the Reverend Newt Gengrich comics than Doonesburry!

Posted by: Rlupodimare | March 9, 2011 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Glad to read I'm not the only one who thinks this guy is a cheese ball opportunist. Go home, Newt. You're damage has been done. To sit there and pontificate about your "passion for the Country" and "Christian values" that seemed to misguide you means that you are also a threat to the Judeo-Christian foundation of this Country. Practice what you preach, or don't preach at all. You failed. Cry to your first wife (you know, the one who wasn't "hot" enough or young enough anymore for you?). Don't go away mad, just go away. I honestly do enjoy your perspectives and comments on issues, but laugh from the gut when you try to revise history in this way and throw your hypocritical "hair shell" into the ring

Posted by: edwardnorton54 | March 9, 2011 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Glad to read I'm not the only one who thinks this guy is a cheese ball opportunist. Go home, Newt. You're damage has been done. To sit there and pontificate about your "passion" and "Christian values" misguided you means that you are also a threat to the Judeo-Christian foundation of this Country. Practice what you preach, or don't preach at all. You failed. Cry to your first wife (you know, the one who wasn't "hot" enough or young enough anymore for you?). Don't go away mad, just go away. I honestly do enjoy your perspectives and comments on issues, but laugh from the gut when you try to revise history in this way and throw your hypocritical "hair shell" into the ring.

Posted by: edwardnorton54 | March 9, 2011 8:44 PM | Report abuse

He's a perfect republican, a real credit to his party.

And the GOP will follow suit, they will screw Americans because they're passionate.

Is it me, or are the GOP starting to resemble Bush's "children that were left behind"?

Posted by: camera_eye_11 | March 9, 2011 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edwardnorton54 | March 9, 2011 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't this guy realize he's insulting his audience's intelligence by suggesting this ridiculous excuse for serial adultry? His arrogance is astounding. Please let him be run over by a bus ASAP. The GOP appears incapable of putting a wooden stake through his heart. What a loser.

Posted by: Afraid4USA | March 9, 2011 6:40 PM | Report abuse

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Unfortunately there are some people out there who will believe this hook, line and sinker. They will say, it happened, he asked for forgiveness, he is a great American and he hates Obama so it will be good enough for them.

Posted by: catmomtx | March 9, 2011 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edwardnorton54 | March 9, 2011 8:43 PM | Report abuse

He may have some good ideas, but obviously has no concept of loyalty, faithfulness, or real friendship.
Maybe he shouldn't think of himself as a "leader".

Posted by: box211 | March 9, 2011 8:42 PM | Report abuse

It's a wonder his passion didn't lead to him screwing himself!

Posted by: OldSalt8 | March 9, 2011 8:27 PM |
----------------

Be patient. He'll get around to it, this year or next. ;->

Posted by: org2 | March 9, 2011 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Newt says

""There's no question at times of my life, partially driven by how passionately I felt about this country, that I worked far too hard and things happened in my life that were not appropriate,"

Well, what does he think the demands of the Presidency are? Just to keep his marriage going, this clown needs to forget about running for major office. Plleeeeezzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: CalifObserver | March 9, 2011 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Newt says

Posted by: CalifObserver | March 9, 2011 8:34 PM | Report abuse

This is even low by Gingrinch's standards. He had an affair with his taxpayer funded staffer, left his wife and married his mistress because he loves his country so much?

By his standard, Tiger Woods and Kobe Bryant are Patrick Henry and Paul Revere. It would give Mount Rushmore new meaning!

Posted by: AxelDC | March 9, 2011 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Newt: "In a sense, our Judeo-Christian civilization is under attack from two fronts. On one front, you have a secular, atheist, elitism. And on the other front, you have radical Islamists. And both groups would like to eliminate our civilization if they could. For different reasons, but with equal passion."
This is such an irresponsible statement. Does this intelligent person really believe there is a "secular, atheist, elitist" front that "would like to elimimate our civilizaiton". Is he really putting his reputation behind a statement like that? Because he is not stupid, I believe it is deliberate fear mongering and "us and them"-ing on his part. Notice that when he talked about the qualities of a president he said something about that the voters want to feel that their president understands what their fears are. That's all very well and good. I'd like a sensitive understanding president too - but again his words give him away. He is using peoples fears (founded or unfounded doesn't seem to be important to him) against them - to manipulate them. This guy is not OK.

Posted by: nansev | March 9, 2011 8:28 PM | Report abuse

It's a wonder his passion didn't lead to him screwing himself!

Posted by: OldSalt8 | March 9, 2011 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Gingrich-Palin 2012 or Palin-Gingrich or Palin-Angle...whoever! It seems the Repubs have screwed the country up so badly that no one even wants to run against Obama this time. It is so much easier to be the victim and criticize than it is to actually govern!

Posted by: Ez2DoubtEveryone | March 9, 2011 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Only a republican can claim that having an affair buffs up his credentials to be president. I guess Bill Clinton should be the poster boy for the GOP.

Posted by: tianyisun | March 9, 2011 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Gingrich sounds as intimate with reality as does Charlie Sheen these days.

Posted by: RickyGibson | March 9, 2011 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Newt Gingrich: "In a sense, our Judeo-Christian civilization is under attack from two fronts. And I am one of them. Serial adultery, lying, hate mongering, hypocrisy, spousal abuse, …

Posted by: cjacks | March 9, 2011 8:12 PM | Report abuse

How convenient. First because he was passionate about politics "things happened". Notice the passive phrasing. He didn't do things... they happened. Then he goes on to explain, in essence, that God has given him his stamp of approval (forgiveness).
Sorry, I don't buy this. Self serving. He's trying to sound like he's taking responsibility for himself, but his words give him away.

Posted by: nansev | March 9, 2011 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Just look at how Newt defended the US. He is so passionate about the US he will leave her defenseless just like his string of concubines. For the record I am a Jew that actually was in the military, not a Christian Conservative.

Posted by: williamwertman | March 9, 2011 8:02 PM | Report abuse

"Things happened in my life..."

Yes, Newt was working so hard to help America that he didn't notice his little newt fell out of his pants, or that an undressed woman was under him. He worked himself into a fog to the point words happened to fall out of his mouth to divorce his dying wife, and later to divorce his sick one, while little newt happened to find new places to play. You know, life happens. The man was too heroically busy to notice.

Total slime. Just a bad, sad sack of s***.

Posted by: hitpoints | March 9, 2011 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Since I have been living in the buckle of the bible belt I have learned that the born again, true believers, the people who base their politics on what their pastor says is right and true, on the bible and on FOX News, etc. do not question the kind of clap-trap that Gingrich spouted. They accept this whole cloth. They cannot be moved from their point of view by any rational argument or even bona-fied proof. It's tragic. It's frustrating. I have given up arguing about it and just get an amazed look of wonder when I hear their conservative opinions. To adopt a Facebook word, I have had to unfriend a lot of people lately.

Posted by: susanwhiteaker | March 9, 2011 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: susanwhiteaker | March 9, 2011 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: susanwhiteaker | March 9, 2011 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: susanwhiteaker | March 9, 2011 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Memo to CBN:

Interview his first two wives; and all his mistresses that he boinked.

Posted by: mdpilot | March 9, 2011 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Memo to CBN:

Interview his first two wives; and all his mistresses that he boinked.

Posted by: mdpilot | March 9, 2011 7:37 PM | Report abuse

The more the years pass, the more Newt looks like Maude Frickett, the old Jonathon Winter's character. I trust Maude a lot more than I trust Newt.

Posted by: jp1943 | March 9, 2011 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jp1943 | March 9, 2011 7:36 PM | Report abuse

The man has confessed that he has a psychological problem in which the combination of stress and what he thinks of as patriotism cause him to lose his moral compass. So 1: The worst thing you can do for his psychological problem is to elect him to the most stressful, patriotic office in the land. 2: Given that he knows this about himself and still wants to have that position indicates he is unconcerned that he loses his moral compass implying a much deeper and more troubling moral depravity. One could argue that he should not be allowed to hold any public office. 3: Given the first two problems, the electorate should be concerned about whether he would control himself at official functions. Do we really want to have to worry whether if the flags a’waving, Gingrich is waving his flag pole. Is he going to hit on every foreign leaders wife at state dinners, or just take it out and spank it?

Posted by: cjacks | March 9, 2011 7:35 PM | Report abuse

So Newt is saying that basically Uncle Same made him do it? Sort of like the Devil made him do it?
Very creative liar, in my opinion.
Presidential? Not so much!!!!!!!!

Posted by: mikepost1 | March 9, 2011 7:35 PM | Report abuse

OldSalt8, that's a good one.

Posted by: ftetu | March 9, 2011 7:34 PM | Report abuse

I very much doubt it will become an issue but take it for what it's worth will NEVER vote for a "man" who suggested our republic take Saudi Arabia as a model for our treatment of religious minorities.

Never.

Posted by: andrew23boyle | March 9, 2011 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Never.

Posted by: andrew23boyle | March 9, 2011 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I am sure lots of republican base had tears when reading this BS.

Posted by: ftetu | March 9, 2011 7:27 PM | Report abuse

I love my country so much that I go around with a gigantic boner 24/7!

Posted by: OldSalt8 | March 9, 2011 7:25 PM | Report abuse

"There's no question at times of my life, partially driven by how passionately I felt about this country, that I worked far too hard and things happened in my life that were not appropriate."

What a quote! Yes, I cared so much about the Contract with America and other policy issues that I shtupped another woman and served divorce papers to my wife on her deathbed. That is the biggest whopping non-sequitur I have ever, ever, EVER read.

That's really going to fly with the base. There is zero chance he runs and even less of a chance that he gets the Rethuglican nomination.

Posted by: delatopia | March 9, 2011 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Please run.

Posted by: vztownes | March 9, 2011 7:22 PM | Report abuse

THIS GUY IS CERTIFIABLE!!!!!

Posted by: rjstolba | March 9, 2011 7:16 PM | Report abuse

newt,vitter,ensign,craig, mccain,sandford and of course palin and more, are ALL prime examples of the famly values repug party.
this moral group are the only ones that can protect the sanctity of marriage.
newt, sit down and shut up don't waste any more money.get on "dwts" and strut your stuff where all old repugs end up.

Posted by: ninnafaye | March 9, 2011 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Memo to CBN:

Interview his first two wives; and all his mistresses that he boinked.

Posted by: mdpilot | March 9, 2011 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Normally, listening to Noot makes me want to take a shower, but this time, I wanted to go outside and clean off the bottom of my shoe.

Posted by: gkam | March 9, 2011 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Newt is a fairly smart guy and somewhat innovative thinker.

However, you don't want him managing or in charge of anything.

Posted by: AlanGoldberg54 | March 9, 2011 7:07 PM | Report abuse

So . . . if I get caught boinking my secretary or the Starbuck's girl, I can tell my wife I did it 'cuz I just love my country so gush darn much?

Do you think she'd believe me? Do you think the American public would believe me?

Posted by: tomguy1 | March 9, 2011 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Passion? Undoubtedly. For his country? Don't make me gag!

Posted by: thrh | March 9, 2011 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Memo to CBN:

Interview his first two wives; and all his mistresses that he boinked.

Posted by: mdpilot | March 9, 2011 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Rape-publicans must be so proud of this lying hypocritical POSS It just doesn't get any sleazier.

Posted by: solsticebelle | March 9, 2011 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Memo to CBN:

Interview his first two wives; and all his mistresses that he boinked.

Posted by: mdpilot | March 9, 2011 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I've never before seen a Republican politico use the American flag to towel himself off after sex, not until today. I guess that's what Gingrich calls patriotism.

Gingrich is low. He'd need a step-ladder to reach up and touch a snake's belly--assuming the snake would allow a specimen like Gingrich a touch.

Posted by: klakey1 | March 9, 2011 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: klakey1 | March 9, 2011 6:50 PM | Report abuse

HIGH-larious!

Noot loves something more than Noot?

Posted by: gkam | March 9, 2011 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: klakey1 | March 9, 2011 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else notice that there is an ad for a John Deere spreader on the wall behind Newt Gingrich? The irony is rich!

Posted by: SCOTTSCHMIDTT | March 9, 2011 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Newt, you'll get God's forgivness, and probably his mercy. It's the voters you have to worry about. They won't be very mericful.

Posted by: Frazil | March 9, 2011 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Afraid4USA | March 9, 2011 6:40 PM | Report abuse

So, let me guess: Newt is going to divide the nation into 3 parts: (1) the secular, atheist, elitism group; (2) the radical Islamists; and (3) people who would vote for Newt.

Geez, is this the best Republicans can come up with out of their rotten past?

No thank you.

Posted by: lindalovejones | March 9, 2011 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, those elitist Jews threatening Judeo-Christian values. He's such a slimy scumbag, and it's so unfortunate that the Evangelical right finds a way to demonize Obama - the most pro-family president we've had in a very long time, in favor of these scumbags like Gingrich.

Posted by: beersquirrel | March 9, 2011 6:25 PM | Report abuse

How intellgent can NEW't be when he went from being a PROTESTANT to a CATHOLIC which has found another 21 PRIEST in Philadelphia who has been alleged by police of abusing children.I have lost count of how many Catholic Priest have abused children thoughout the world, but it has to be in the thousands , for a guess.
It is so sad.

Posted by: yojoe | March 9, 2011 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Bottom line, Newt is ready to do all that dirt all over again, with the help of a few million dollars from all of those generous suckers who would contribute to his campaign that can't possibly win (but he could take a lot of nice First Class Trips all over the place, and stay in nice hotels, like being on a months long vacation just telling lies on Democrats, if that's ok).

Never.

Posted by: lindalovejones | March 9, 2011 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Secular, atheist elitism wants to eliminate our civilization? This is why Gingrich is eminently not qualified to be President. Please don't run, Newt. Please find a viable candidate, Republicans.

Posted by: dhenken1 | March 9, 2011 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dhenken1 | March 9, 2011 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Why does anyone still give this guy airtime? Oh, yes, and while we're at it, Charlie Sheen, too?

Must be a slow news day or Cable News Journalism, as we've come to love and trust it!

Posted by: asleeponarock | March 9, 2011 6:13 PM | Report abuse

If anything, this just proves how little he actually cares about the US...nobody who loves their country would try to use that love as an excuse for infidelity. He is so utterly, disgustingly craven. The only thing he's passionate for is power. I hope the GOP has the good sense to nominate anyone but this creep.

Posted by: dkp01 | March 9, 2011 6:09 PM | Report abuse

That's the best you've got, Newt? Pathetic.

Posted by: willoughbyspit | March 9, 2011 6:06 PM | Report abuse

OMG---------that's one of the dumbest excuses I've heard yet.
Do we need that that kind of mentality to lead the country?

Posted by: kacameron | March 9, 2011 6:06 PM | Report abuse

ROFLMAO

newt's passion for his country made him an adulterer? i guess lady liberty must be just another hot and slutty seductress beneath her majestic copper robe...

thanks, newt... NOW i've heard everything!

Posted by: potomacfever00 | March 9, 2011 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Hypocritical. Has not been true in his personal life. How can we expect him to be true as a leader. One thing that I respect about President and Mrs. Obama is the true marriage that they represent. A very loving couple and loving parents. Should be an easy decision for people to make.

Posted by: BillR | March 9, 2011 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Wow! The Devil did not make him do it! It was the passion for his country made him do it.

Posted by: jslivesay | March 9, 2011 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Newt wrapped her head in our flag and did it for "Old Glory!"
These middle age white male professional politicians have huge egos and can rationalize any type of behavior.

Posted by: spinebob1 | March 9, 2011 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Strange, at times when I have been working 12 hour days, the absolute last thing on my mind is to commit adultery.

Posted by: homer4 | March 9, 2011 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Stunning. I'd have at least a little respect if he'd show some remorse for cheating on then dumping his wife on her cancer bed.

But no. He did it because passion for his country made him do it.

What's sad is that that guy actually has a shot at the Republican nomination.

My same sex partner and I have ended exactly zero marriages in our 22 years of knowing each other.

Gingrich has killed, what, two of them now? Or is it three?

Posted by: TheHillman | March 9, 2011 5:47 PM | Report abuse

He had affairs because he was working too hard, but that couldn't be forgiven for Clinton. Looks like someone didn't give up hypocrisy for Lent.

Posted by: 8-Man2 | March 9, 2011 5:46 PM | Report abuse

"Passion for my country" is the new "youthful indiscretion."

Posted by: sarahabc | March 9, 2011 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Gingrich, the patriotic banger!
I have been showing my love for this country at least three times a week with equally patriotic women. Man, what a country!
Of course, none of my patriotic women had been dying of cancer nor have I ever committed the cowardly act of showing at the hospital with the divorce papers while my wife was dying of cancer.
To think that there are stupid imbeciles who vote for this trash!

Posted by: analyst72 | March 9, 2011 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone other than his second wife actually believe this nonsense?

Posted by: mjwies11 | March 9, 2011 5:39 PM | Report abuse

He is a dishonest opportunist.

Posted by: vigor | March 9, 2011 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it telling that when he reviews his life, he uses first person when it doesn't make him look bad, but he switches to a vague third person when he did something hard to forgive: "I worked far too hard and things happened in my life that were not appropriate." No, "things" didn't just happen. Newt DID things that were not appropriate. Nice spin, though.

Posted by: rbharris50 | March 9, 2011 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Wow, how completely hypocritical.

Posted by: seaduck2001 | March 9, 2011 5:38 PM | Report abuse

So, this 'Christian Man' Newt thinks secular atheists are 'attacking' our great country. Considering what 'Good Christian' Men like Newt Gingrich and George W. Bush have done to this country in the last few years, I think I'd rather take my chances with the atheists.

Guys like Gingrich and Bush were the ones Jesus went after in the Temple -- talking a good game to the holy folks while having only greed and avarice in their hearts. Even HE couldn't turn the other cheek to the likes of THEM.....

Posted by: WaitingForGodot | March 9, 2011 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Gingrich: "Passion for macking on some Strange....has led me to have numerous affairs."

Posted by: chop1 | March 9, 2011 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Just looking at Gingrich you know the man ain’t bright, but for the life of me I Never suspected he THAT stupid and hypocrite.
So now, in order to justify his immorality and lack of decency he comes with the he banged other women for “king and country”.
And this sack of feces is one of the best representatives of the Republican Crapp. Can you imagine how are the rest? Of course, FOK News is not going to mention Gingrich hypocrisy.
Is there anyone with at least a grain of decency and brains in the GOP?

Posted by: analyst72 | March 9, 2011 5:26 PM | Report abuse

If the flag is a-wavin', Newt's misbehavin'....

Posted by: Rachelva | March 9, 2011 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure that "passion for sex with younger prettier mistresses" and "serial adultery while engaging in an amazingly hypocritical impeachment push for Clinton" was behind Gingrich's affairs - not his "love for country."

Love for Country would have been letting Clinton do his job for the last year of his 2nd term, rather than wasting an entire political year trying to drum him out of office for getting a "job" - which you yourself were getting as well, all over town.

Posted by: chop1 | March 9, 2011 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Well, ho-hum, seeing the colors fly and hearing the national anthem gets my wood up too... nah, WHAT! WHAT! What's this guy saying about "passion for the nation" led to his affair!? C'MON! Get real!

Posted by: RealTexan1 | March 9, 2011 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, but I find this man repugnant. If he wants to express contrition for his past moral shortcomings, then perhaps he deserves credit for it. But instead of expressing remorse and contrition, he appears to be attempting to excuse his actions by circumstance. I'm sorry, sir, but I don't care how hard you worked, you had the option not to be unfaithful to your wife, and you chose otherwise. Instead of coming out and saying that his actions were unacceptable, inexcusable, and unbecoming, and subsequently expressing contrition and indicating that he is now a better man, Gingrich is weaseling his way through an apology.

Moreover, it is simply wrong of him to categorise those who he disagrees with--vehement as his disagreement is--as an evil threat to American society. I vehemently disagree with the views of the Tea Party and strict constructivists, but I think they contribute to our society and our national political discourse in an important way.

This man is simply wrong on facts, wrong on morals, wrong on political propriety, and wrong for America.

Posted by: j762 | March 9, 2011 5:12 PM | Report abuse

He is lucky to be a republican, he'll go directly to heaven.

Posted by: ftetu | March 9, 2011 4:23 PM | Report abuse

He is lucky to be a republican, he'll go directly to heaven.

Posted by: ftetu | March 9, 2011 4:22 PM | Report abuse

He is lucky to be a republican, he'll go directly to heaven.

Posted by: ftetu | March 9, 2011 4:21 PM | Report abuse

All I have to say about this, is that the Bible states, that only God knows a mans true heart. With that, I am not God, so I want claim to know Gingrich's heart when it comes to him claiming to be a reborn Christian and all of that when it comes to his cheating ways.

So, let's put aside his adulterous affairs for a few seconds and focus on his politcal behavior over the last year, or so.

Can Gingrich provide an answer as to why he is such a lying partisan political hack who incites vitriol, ignorance, and hate around the country.

Surely, that has to count for something when it comes to God and Christianity (the teachings of Jesus), because I don't believe that God separates our attitudes, behavior, and the work we do politically from our personal lives.

I know for a fact that hate, ignorance, and vitriol, prejudices, bigotry, foolishness, and attacking people is not a part of Christianity or Jesus' teachings, politically or personally.

Is it possible for Gingrich to answer the questions about his role in which he incites hate and vitriol, since he claims to now be a reborn Christian?

Just asking... ;)

Posted by: lcarter0311 | March 9, 2011 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Fantastic, how low can they go. This is what happens when primitive religious values get behind a movement........it will turn out to be one big bowel movement.

Posted by: sheik_mo | March 9, 2011 4:06 PM | Report abuse

A secular atheist + educated + critical thinker = N/A or the stupid elite.

If you are educated and a critical thinker you would not be an atheist. However if you are first an atheist being educated in atheism and critical of any opposing view then that could make you an elite atheist.

Educated + deductive reasoning + critical thinking = knowledge add the fear of God to that and you have wisdom.

Posted by: hanocul6
-------------------------
I'm Christian but what you posted hanocul6 is a mile high pile of bull s h * t. It doesn't even makes sense. There are plenty of smart, educated, and engaging people of faith and there are plenty of uneducated, ignorant people of faith. There are many smart engaging atheist and there are unintelligent atheist.

You call yourself a person of faith and I don't question a man's faith but I do base on their actions & writings question their intelligence and I have to question yours.

Posted by: 6thsense79 | March 9, 2011 4:02 PM | Report abuse

A secular atheist + educated + critical thinker = N/A or the stupid elite.

Posted by: hanocul6
-------------------------

Posted by: 6thsense79 | March 9, 2011 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I was a Rebublican leadership staff member during Gingrich's run as Speaker. I like his views and I like his ability to talk about his views.

However, he cannot manage his way out of a paper bag. He would be a terrible executive and president.

As Speaker he would routinely make contradictory promises on the same issues. He would tell the pro group there would be a vote, and the con group that there wouldn't be a vote. You do that often enough and what happens? You get ousted, as he was.

You do that in the Oval Office and real people can get killed.

Keep him away from the levers of executive power.

Posted by: Bipper | March 9, 2011 4:00 PM | Report abuse

You do that in the Oval Office and real people can get killed.

Keep him away from the levers of executive power.

Posted by: Bipper | March 9, 2011 3:59 PM | Report abuse

"There's no question at times of my life, partially driven by how passionately I felt about this country, that I worked far too hard and things happened in my life that were not appropriate," said Gingrich.

In other words, assuming Newt is being faithful to his current wife, he now hates America.

Posted by: DrainYou | March 9, 2011 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Newt has taken love of country to a new low.

Posted by: esch | March 9, 2011 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I just farted with a little bit of noise. Of course, I made sure there was no one around to hear it.

You see, I have this passion for the country!

Posted by: kishorgala | March 9, 2011 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Next thing you know Newt's gonna blame GOD for his mistakes.. what a Republican hypocritical j*ckoff.

Posted by: cmsatown | March 9, 2011 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Appearently I didn't love my country a lot.I'm married to the same woman for 57 years.Shame on me.I can never run for president.

Posted by: fatherweck | March 9, 2011 2:44 PM
___________________________
You secular, elitist, socialist! Go out and have an affair, RIGHT NOW!!!!! ;)

Posted by: luridone | March 9, 2011 3:28 PM | Report abuse

So what's the excuse going to be when the Newt turns up in a strapless evening gown?

"Passion for his country?" He makes it sound like he thinks of his philandering as a way to screw the American people, by proxy.

When normal people have a passion for their country, they fight to preserve it. When Newt had "passion for his country," he lost the ability to keep his private parts private.

I don't think we really need to talk about the Newt any more.

Posted by: lonquest | March 9, 2011 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Wow, the Republican presidential candidates are wackier by the minute. Huckabee and the Mau Mau's and Gingrich relating his sex drive to love of country. Now that I know, I am going to drive way out around all those houses that put out flags on the Fourth of July, because who knows what beast awaits inside. Now we need Palin to tie American loving Mau Mau's to all her off the wall behavior.

Posted by: merrylees | March 9, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Step right up...the new and improved Newt Gingrich Snake Oil, now with extra special vitamins and minerals and all the past impurities removed...

Posted by: Bridge3263 | March 9, 2011 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, American Christianity has been hijacked by people with Gingrich's attitude.

The mantra is this: do want you want, no matter how heinous. As long as you claim to believe in Christ you will be saved. Meanwhile those who don't believe in Christ will be condemned - no matter how good and just their lives have been.

What arrogance and hypocrisy!!!

Posted by: koygdb | March 9, 2011 3:16 PM | Report abuse

hanocul6:
"If you are educated and a critical thinker you would not be an atheist."

Really? And why is that?

Posted by: presto668 | March 9, 2011 2:51 PM | Report abuse

"Things happened in my life that were not appropriate," and of course, "Mistakes were made." (that invaluable passive voice--English is a wonderful language) Because I love my country. Does Newt have a kind word or two about President Clinton--oh, wait, he's still married to his first wife, isn't he?

Posted by: loco71 | March 9, 2011 2:51 PM | Report abuse

And, it looks like "The Country made me do it! is certainly getting as many guffaws for Newt as "The Devil made me do it!" did for Flip Wilson back on the old "Rowan & Martin's Laugh In" show.

Posted by: dstreet208 | March 9, 2011 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dstreet208 | March 9, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fatherweck | March 9, 2011 2:46 PM | Report abuse

And, while I'm at it ... "The Devil made me do it!" may have worked for Flip Wilson on the old "Laugh In" show, but "The Country made me do it!" just ain't playing well for old Newt...

Posted by: dstreet208 | March 9, 2011 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dstreet208 | March 9, 2011 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fatherweck | March 9, 2011 2:44 PM | Report abuse

ROFLMAO! You have to give him credit. He sure knows how to get Americans laughing out loud again! Oh, and by the way, Newt, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "Judeo-Christian civilization".

Posted by: dstreet208 | March 9, 2011 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I remember when people wouldn't vote for Adlai Stevenson because he was divorced.Times,we and the candidates sure have changed

Posted by: fatherweck | March 9, 2011 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Yawn....

This (Gingrich) disgraced has-beens act is getting old.

Posted by: DrainYou | March 9, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I remember when people wouldn't vote for Adlai Stevenson because he was divorced.Times or we or the candidates have sure changed

Posted by: fatherweck | March 9, 2011 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Hey, if Newt is going to compete with Bat-chit Bachmann and St. Sarah the Wacko, he's got to come up with some whoppers of his own, and it looks like he's succeeded!! He too can now appeal to all of the unthinking religi-bot wingnuts who believe everything that Beck, Rush, and Faux News tell them.

Of course, to any sane, sensible, rational person still able to think critically, it will come off as stinky pile of fresh bull dung. I am impressed that he managed to keep a straight face through it all, though.

Posted by: luridone | March 9, 2011 2:35 PM | Report abuse

What a pathetic man.

Posted by: jckdoors | March 9, 2011 2:27 PM | Report abuse

"Country?" Is that what they're calling "trying to get some action on the side" these days?

Posted by: presto668 | March 9, 2011 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Newt, eft, lizard, salamander, gecko, iguana, slimy thing or whatever.

I am shortening my list of potential Republican Presidential candidates.

Posted by: kishorgala | March 9, 2011 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Which of his affairs was driven by passion for "his country"?

Was the latest Mrs. Gingrich driven by the same passion as the latest Gingrich other woman?

Who knew that Bill Clinton, Rudy Giuliani, Jesse's Jackson, John Edwards,John Ensign, Larry Craig, Terry Sanford, Dave Vitter, Rush Limbaugh, Karl Rove were such passionate patriots?

From the Protestant evangelical meddling in American secular affairs to the Roman Catholic meddling in same lies the gravest danger to separation of church and state. While we were being distracted by anti-Muslim bigotry over an imagined Sharia law threat the Protestants, Catholics, Jews and Mormons were scrambling to move government on their behalf.

And Gingrich is also a hypocritical cowardly draft dodging Confederate bigot.

Posted by: blackmamba1 | March 9, 2011 2:15 PM | Report abuse

What else!

Blame the Country!

If it weren't for the country, there wouldn't be an affair!

Posted by: kishorgala | March 9, 2011 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Amazing!

No! Not that Newt had an affair!

But, someone slept with him!

Posted by: kishorgala | March 9, 2011 2:10 PM | Report abuse

'How Pigs Fly' - by Newt Gingrich

Posted by: Gracefulboomer | March 9, 2011 2:10 PM | Report abuse

"Newtie, you lied, womanized, adulterized, panderized, slandered and harassed in the name of God. You make secular atheists appear pretty saintly." -- Posted by: gfoster56

Posted by: Whys | March 9, 2011 2:10 PM | Report abuse

OMG ROFL! Soooo true!

Posted by: Whys | March 9, 2011 2:09 PM | Report abuse

A secular atheist + educated + critical thinker = N/A or the stupid elite.

Posted by: hanocul6 | March 9, 2011 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Selfish women...

Posted by: Whys | March 9, 2011 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Gingrich: 'Passion for the country' led to my affair
=====================================
I think he wanted to screw something. Or someone.

Posted by: kishorgala | March 9, 2011 2:04 PM | Report abuse

'Passion for the country' led to personal indiscretions
--------
I think he spelled country without the o...

Posted by: ozpunk | March 9, 2011 2:04 PM | Report abuse

'Passion for the country' led to personal indiscretions
--------
I think he spelled country without the o...

Posted by: ozpunk | March 9, 2011 2:03 PM | Report abuse

'Passion for the country' led to personal indiscretions
--------
I think he spelled country without the o...

Posted by: ozpunk | March 9, 2011 2:02 PM | Report abuse

'Passion for the country' led to personal indiscretions
--------
I think he spelled country without the o...

Posted by: ozpunk | March 9, 2011 2:01 PM | Report abuse

So did Newt tell Callista to "lie back and think of American"?

Posted by: trichobezoar | March 9, 2011 2:00 PM | Report abuse

'Passion for the country' led to personal indiscretions
--------
I think he spelled country without the o...

Posted by: ozpunk | March 9, 2011 2:00 PM | Report abuse

'Passion for the country' led to personal indiscretions
--------
I think he spelled country without the o...

Posted by: ozpunk | March 9, 2011 1:59 PM | Report abuse

A secular atheist + educated + critical thinker = N/A or the stupid elite.

Posted by: hanocul6 | March 9, 2011 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gfoster56 | March 9, 2011 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Gingrich is one sick SOB to think anybody with a rational mind will buy his convenient new excuses for being a simply rotten person.

To suggest his love for the country caused him to tell his wife, hospitalized with cancer, that he wants a divorce, defies ... well it defies everything that is good and decent.

Mr. Gingrich continues to be a hypocritical low-life who thinks the world must function according to his political philosophy even though it never has, never could, and never will. OMG, that's today's radical Republican Party. He fits right in.

Posted by: dl49 | March 9, 2011 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Gingrich's favorability rating is lower than Palin, Romney and Huckabee. Newt would make Obama's second run a cake walk.

Posted by: RandomAnon | March 9, 2011 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Last night I smoked some weed and drank way to much...I'ts just because I love my country!

Posted by: willandjansdad1 | March 9, 2011 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how the bagger republicans would have reactefd had Bill Clinton used that excuse!

Posted by: jeffc6578 | March 9, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

So what Newt is saying is that he loves this country sooo much and he works sooo hard he needed to have multiple affairs on his sick wives.

Kaaaay. That will work.

Posted by: doll6905 | March 9, 2011 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Newt has lost his marbles with age. He should've run 4 years ago when his Speakership was slightly less removed from the stone age. He may have helped split the McCain vote and spared us Sarah Palin.

Posted by: nominay | March 9, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Newt is such a super patriot he had too bang something...........2 or 3 times..........

Newt for precedence 2012

Posted by: theiFyoU | March 9, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

mr gingrich you stink so bad you must have sewer running through your blood.

Posted by: hemisphere | March 9, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Is that anything like, "The devil made me do it"?

Posted by: tinyjab40 | March 9, 2011 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Good lord. Gingrich is so full of crap I can smell him all the way down here in TX.

It's quite a hoot listening to Gringrich lecture on morality. Have you NO shame Mr. Gringrich?

Posted by: JilliB | March 9, 2011 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I apologize for the duplicate postings. (They happened because of my passion for the country.)

Posted by: dakk | March 9, 2011 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I am a secular atheist, and, because I'm educated and have the ability to think critically, I'm part of the elite of this society. I don't want to "eliminate our civilization." But I wouldn't spend one second crying if Newt were hit by a bus.

It's almost unbelievable that in the same interview that he claims to want to be a "unifier of the nation" he proclaims that a large percentage of this country's population wants to destroy it.

It astounds me that people take anything this man says seriously. But then again, for the anti-education, anti-critical-thinking crowd, it's all about creating an "us vs. them" mentality and giving the narrow-minded idiots an "enemy" to hate.

(Am I bitter? Of course. This country used to revere education and critical thinking, and we've devolved into a mob society of "boooo! Get 'em!")

Posted by: dakk | March 9, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Gingrich said:
NO, absolutely not – most people would never serve a hospitalized spouse with divorce papers.

"...a unifier of the nation," You can’t even stay with one woman or be faithful. Unifier – I think not.

"...our Judeo-Christian civilization is under attack from two fronts. On one front, you have a secular, atheist, elitism. And on the other front, you have radical Islamists. And both groups would like to eliminate our civilization if they could. For different reasons, but with equal passion.".
From a divorced man who cheated on his spouses.

Spare me the hypocrisy.

Posted by: rlj1 | March 9, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dakk | March 9, 2011 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dakk | March 9, 2011 12:53 PM | Report abuse

LOL There is no depth to which this fat pig will not sink in his (guaranteed futile) crusade for the White House.

Posted by: Observer691 | March 9, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse

He represents the Republicans well... a political creature.

Posted by: Geopolitics1 | March 9, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

If viewed as a comedian, Gingrinch is absolutely hysterical. Unfortunately, some people take him seriously.

Posted by: bpai_99 | March 9, 2011 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I too, as a result of my overwhelming love for this country, was forced into a tawdry and clandestine sexual affair with a staffer while married to my second wife. Nah, just kidding, but isn't it likely that Newt Gingrich is more of a threat to traditional marriage than gay marriage is? He has already killed two traditional marriages and may be teeing up a third.

Posted by: plewis1956 | March 9, 2011 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Good one Newt. Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha............!!!!

Posted by: vadeD | March 9, 2011 12:40 PM | Report abuse

HAHAHAHAHA...so cheating on his dying wife with a young intern was all because he's "patriotic"? Funniest thing of all is...his sheep - fattened on a steady diet of Limbaugh and Beck - will actually believe that garbage.

Posted by: wilder5121 | March 9, 2011 12:39 PM | Report abuse

As someone secular, I definitely don't feel like Newt is trying to unite anyone with that alienating line about eliminating civilization.

I will go to the polls just to vote AGAINST Newt.

Posted by: RandomAnon | March 9, 2011 12:35 PM | Report abuse