Fisher's Online "Radio" Show

Today I was guest on my friend Marc Fisher's new radio show, or whatever he calls it -- it's this online call-in thing that's like a talk radio show, only he has dispensed with the annoying requirement of owning a radio or any kind of radio-wave-receiving instrument, such as a car. Instead you just need to be online. It was all so exciting today that we forgot to have a topic. The technology is awesome -- content to follow. I was on a pay phone at Costco, in Arlington, and there was this other guest, "Mike," who turned out to be Michael Shear, of the Richmond bureau, who happens to be another Post blogger. Mostly we congratulated ourselves on being incredibly digital and bloggy and webby and podcasty. Although there is no evidence yet that anyone was listening, clearly this is the direction the media is going, and someday, maybe just a year or two from now, we'll reach the zenith of communications technology, which is standing on a milk crate on a streetcorner, haranguing pedestrians. [Memo to self: Purchase bullhorn.]

[Special bloggy note: I have experimentally clicked the "Accept Trackbacks" button, just to see what happens. I assume the blog will explode.]

By Joel Achenbach  |  May 24, 2005; 5:16 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Moderates on the Rampage!
Next: Newborn in Danger at White House

Comments

Waitaminit, were you really on a pay phone at the Arlington Costco?

Nevermind.

What you should think about doing is a live blog, like sit in the window of the Post building on 15th with your computer and type. People could stand outside with signs and wave them, though I don't suppose it would do them any good.

Posted by: rt | May 25, 2005 4:28 AM | Report abuse

Is it me, or is anyone else really disgusted by the "toenail fungus" ads on this blog? I can't help but take it a little personally because I know choosing ad venues is a science these days.

Posted by: off topic | May 25, 2005 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Re: toenail fungus ads. It's almost official toes in the air, hanging at the beach, sandal wearing, barefoot in the grass time, and I suppose the fungus people are betting that everyone is concerned with making their toes less fugusy, or will be after their inundation of ads makes us all self-conscious. They seem to have literally bought up ALL the ad space on washingtonpost.com.

Posted by: jw | May 25, 2005 8:26 AM | Report abuse

I love the toenail fungus ads. Those little yellow critters with the red eyes are adorable. Now, what I find more disturbing is the fact that almost every 20-something woman in the DC Metro area has started wearing one of those pastel-colored, mid-thigh-length raincoats. To me, they look kind of like janitors' jackets, especially the light blue ones, and especially when worn with flip-flops, which they usually are. Why are people so quick to adopt these uniforms?

Posted by: Achenfan | May 25, 2005 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Achenfan, are you, by any chance, GW? I really don't have anything to base this on except for a rather strange hunch; although, I guess you would have a funnier callsign. Or at least one more vulgar. Like Joelblogsdrunk. Poop.

Posted by: jw | May 25, 2005 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jw | May 25, 2005 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Wow, what a compliment. Thank you. But no; really, you do a disservice to Gene.

Posted by: Achenfan | May 25, 2005 11:42 AM | Report abuse

If the ad content is chosen by little computer robots who "read" the page and then choose an appropriate ad based on the content, it could be Von Drehle's fault for calling the blog "toenail clippings" and Joel's for repeating the phrase later.

Posted by: just a thought | May 25, 2005 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Achenfan, you do realize that this is not a local blog, just as the Post is not a local newspaper, don't you? It's the internet. We are posting from all over the place.

When I visited DC years ago (c1988)I was impressed by one fashion item I noticed. In contrast to NYC, where the female office workers wore sneakers to walk to work and carried their high heels to wear at the office, I observed in a DC government office that the women wore their athletic shoes all day in the office. I thought that was fabulous.

Posted by: Not from DC | May 25, 2005 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Whadayaknow. I experimentally clicked the Trackback button to see what would happen, and it looks pretty much like what happens when I click Comment. Must be a way to sell more advertising...

Posted by: slz | May 25, 2005 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Not from DC, I can swear to you that DC is about as far from the fashion center of the universe, at least culture-wise, as you can be. The only place less fashionable is Boston. So if they're wearing those cute raincoats here now, they were probably popular in your locale around 1987.

Ladies, please don't kill me. I kid because I love. But you know it's true. Think of it this way: we're all to busy running the world to think about fashion!

Posted by: jw | May 25, 2005 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree with what you're saying. I wish more people felt this way and took the time to express themselves. Keep up the great work.

Ashley Baudin