Gray Felt Suite

If we were inside a 70s conspiracy movie, the death today of L. Patrick Gray would immediately be tagged as the work of the FBI, CIA, Trilateral Commission and/or the Illuminati. Maybe the Masons, too. But wasn't he just on TV two Sundays ago ripping the heck out of Mark Felt (make that W. Mark Felt, and isn't it interesting that all these guys discarded their real first names? I mean, J. Edgar Hoover, right?)

In this movie, Woodward's new book on Deep Throat would be just another piece of the cover-up of Even Deeper Throat, which obviously would have been the title of the sequel, had Linda Lovelace lived a full and glorious life.

But we don't live in a 70s conspiracy movie. We live in a primordial media soup at the birth of the blogoscene era. So Gray's passing will be an excuse to haul out some more 70s discolored videotape and we'll have another evening of Watergate nostalgia and then right back to the Supreme Court sweepstakes, about which more later.

-- Marc Fisher

By Joel Achenbach  |  July 6, 2005; 1:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More Guns, Less Democracy
Next: Supreme Knowledge

Comments

Do you see that bc?: "a primordial media soup at the birth of the blogoscene era."
This is what we were just talking about! (cue Twilight Zone music)

Posted by: Dreamer | July 6, 2005 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of J. Edgar "no left turns" Hoover, I recommend to one and all a trip out to Congressional Cemetery where he (and his bud Clyde Tolson) are planted. There are lots of things to see- the jail is right next door- but the thing that struck me on my first visit was the grave of Thomas P. "Tip" O'Neil. This guy was a power in the Congress for decades, House Speaker, yada yada yada, but his marker is just the unadorned standard plaque flush with the ground with a very brief inscription. Humility is so rare, especially here. I liked him better than ever after seeing that.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | July 6, 2005 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Indeed, Dreamer.

We may have midwifed the birth of the Achenspecies, both here and on Tempel 1.

Cue "Also Spake Zarathustra", cut to the Black Monolith.

"Oh my God, it's full of idiots!"

Marc-
You forgot to add it could have been the work of the Mafia, the Discordians, and/or talking Dolphins...(sheesh).

Ok, who's going to start a pool on who's next, given the "Rule of Threes"? My bet's on G. Gordon Liddy...

bc

Posted by: bc | July 6, 2005 2:25 PM | Report abuse

A real conspiracy freak might notice the strange similarity in the timeline between Admiral Stockdale's release from captivity and the Watergate scandal...

Posted by: edward | July 6, 2005 2:57 PM | Report abuse

If you're right, bc, you shall be crowned King of Tempel 1.
(But how creepy will it be if it IS Liddy?)

Posted by: Dreamer | July 6, 2005 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Dreamer, I don't think I could rule a snowball with poor weather, and a space junk problem, full of cockroaches and Achenblogging Sea Monkeys by myself. I'll go halfsies (halvsies...? - Practically Perfect Pat, can you help me out here?) on it with you, O Queen.

Hard to imagine anything involving Liddy getting creepier than he - er - it already is, but you have a point. Liddy sounds like a character from the Illuminatus! Trilogy, already, come to think of it...

bc

Posted by: bc | July 6, 2005 3:11 PM | Report abuse

You've got yourself a deal!
[LOL]

Posted by: Dreamer | July 6, 2005 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Judith Miller was just sent to jail.

Posted by: jw | July 6, 2005 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Dreamer.
To paraphrase Gene Kranz, you had a guy about to turn blue...

bc

Posted by: bc | July 6, 2005 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Damn, jw, you had that fast.

Rove must be giggling with glee over Cooper's flip-flop, but ready to throw a hissy fit over Miller.

I definitely admire Miller's refusal to comprimise her ethics. Bravo!

bc

Posted by: bc | July 6, 2005 3:40 PM | Report abuse

No doubt Miller's going to get a deservedly lucrative book deal out of all this, too.

bc

Posted by: bc | July 6, 2005 3:43 PM | Report abuse

And she's serving her time, at least for now, in the D.C. Jail, which is not exactly the Martha Stewart treatment.

Posted by: Marc Fisher | July 6, 2005 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"Gray Felt Suite"! Ha! What a great headline.

Posted by: Tom fan | July 6, 2005 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Scratch that: It now appears she's headed off to a different local jail, perhaps in northern Virginia.

Posted by: Marc Fisher | July 6, 2005 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Tom fan--you may be the only one who noticed.

Posted by: Marc Fisher | July 6, 2005 4:05 PM | Report abuse

(Sorry, I seem to have spoken out of turn. Didn't mean to change the subject.)

Posted by: Tom fan | July 6, 2005 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Doh! I did it again!

Posted by: Tom fan | July 6, 2005 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I liked the judges comment - that someone who's worked in a war zone in the desert should have no problem in jail, so that's where she goes rather than being under house arrest.

Posted by: LP | July 6, 2005 4:27 PM | Report abuse

In almost unrelated news, did everyone catch the story about Martha? She loved prison and was called "M Diddy" but hates house arrest? I can't believe she's arguing that it would be in the court's best interest to let her "work" 100 hours a week if she wants. Of course, her work involves going to parties and selecting doilies and such. Nice to see that the justice system is working.

Posted by: jw | July 6, 2005 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I still don't buy that Felt was Deep Throat. I think it was really Bob Dole.

Posted by: Ryan | July 7, 2005 3:04 AM | Report abuse